Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,583 members, 7,820,108 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die (12629 Views)

6 BILLION NAIRA BRIBE ; Amaechi Must Mention Names. / Legislators Demand 2.5 Billion Naira Bribe To Pass Petroleum Industry Bill And Swfb-investigation / N50 Million Naira Bribe: Where Are Efcc & Icpc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by ajadrage: 11:15pm On Feb 05, 2009
You can say that again. . .
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by bawomolo(m): 11:16pm On Feb 05, 2009
Remii:

LAPD, Scotland yard M15, KGB and the rest are performing based on enviroment they are. It is on record the Nigerian Police like other Nigerians too perform excellently when assigned role in United Nations all over the world.

Law enforcement agencies in those countries have set an high standard.  The IG of the Nigeria police doesn't even know the number of offices under his command.  Maybe they perform excellently in the UN knowing the UN has HIGH STANDARDS compared to their bosses in the nigerian police.

You can continue to put down what is yours, you would get the results.

no we are supposed to give her a medal of honor for turning a car into a couch. she really put her life on the line. we could have lost an officer in the line of duty.

All I know is that anywhere in the world, when police stops you, you stop.  You do not even come out of your car until told to do so in the USA or you may be shot.

and how did you get all this information from the three pictures?

That woman probably committed a traffic offence and driving off is sign of arrogance a behavior she would drop as soon as she passes the NDLEA post at MMA if she is travelling out of Naija.

umm ok
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Remii(m): 11:39pm On Feb 05, 2009
That woman probably committed a traffic offence and driving off is sign of arrogance a behavior she would drop as soon as she passes the NDLEA post at MMA if she is travelling out of Naija.

umm ok
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bawomolo:

Thanks God, you have one Ok. We are agreeing little by little. lol smiley wink
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by ebogentle(m): 11:56pm On Feb 05, 2009
Either way, i dont like this.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by wurdz: 12:04am On Feb 06, 2009
krazieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by tbaba83(m): 12:08am On Feb 06, 2009
pictures are bloody hilarious. The nigerian police are a bloody joke. Even their uniforms are funny. Just goes to show how desprate d naija police are for a quick buck, hehhehe grin grin grin
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by jay8ers: 12:16am On Feb 06, 2009
I like everyone's contribution here.
But for those who took side with the police for wateva reason, it's ok, but I take  you don't DRIVE in Lagos, especially the outskirt of lagos, just like the one the pics represent,
otherwise u might try to see the pics in another light,
Nigeria police is corrupt, in Lagos they come out to hustle, trust me on that,
that police woman was just another typical officer tryin to collect ROGER.
she'll do anything, even risk her Life

=====

I think, abroad they'll either pursue car or take down it number.
Funniest part, the pics didn't capture, how she ZOOM off, , even after she shakara dey police woman,
my point, even the police is AFRAID, na 9ja we dey, u no know who bi who(connection)
bottom line, what job are they during,
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Pepeye(f): 12:41am On Feb 06, 2009
Serves her rite, extorting money neva do dem!

Next time around she’ll learn not to put her

life on the line just for mere peanuts
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Pepeye(f): 12:43am On Feb 06, 2009
Serves her rite, extorting money neva do dem!

Next time around she’ll learn not to put her

life on the line just  for mere peanuts
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by sunej(m): 12:57am On Feb 06, 2009
serves them right
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by SkyBlue1: 1:47am On Feb 06, 2009
The lack of patriotism on this thread is really alarming and simply disgusting. In a normal and more appreciative disposition this police woman would be hailed and given various honours for the dedication to her job that would even put her peers in other countries to shame. Oh yes, the much talked about "stoppage by yansh power", a feat that has only ever been attempted in Nigeria as these pictures would show. In other countries such an ingenious and totally on the spot adlibed and intuitive display of courage that could give new meanings to the saying "use what your mama gave you" would be awarded and commended, and here we are having the audacity to even speak against what was probably a standard "search and collect" routine.

The Nigerian police, don't worry one of these days your service to the nation and the zeal with which you perform your duties will become evident and more appreciated, its not your fault, you just love and care too much. You give and give but what do you get? Just takes me back to the day in Port Harcourt, I was being driven around by a friend while his mother was in the back seat. A police woman after seeing the type and make of the car that was being driven pulled us over and I was immediately impressed by the foresight on her path for being able to spot "viable" benefactors. Then came the questions, the zeal at which this lady carried out her job really was tear inducing and at one point I did all I could to resist the patriotic urge that overwhelmed me which almost had me getting out of the car, jumping on the roof and singing the national anthem in english and wazobia. We were asked to show driving licence which was presented; particulers-which were presented; spare tyre-which was presented; fire extinguisher-which was also presented; and yet this woman would not leave us alone. I guess its a little something called Nigerian police intuition mixed with the officer's seeming patriotism and love for others that wouldn't let her rest till the road was free and secure of licence wielding, careful driving know-it-alls and all I could do was watch and stare in awe. "They definately don't make them like this in the west" I thought to myself while this woman I guess in an attempt to make sure we were going nowhere gripped the steering wheel of the car as if it was the last piece of bread in a Harare supermarket.

Even without any proof of any wrong doing on our path and after presenting all that was asked, her good old fashioned police "sensors" must have definately sensed something was wrong. At a point I was even going to suggest she ask if we had a spare tyre for the spare tyre in the boot, you never know, just in case of incasity; but then i thought i better leave it to the experts, she probably thought about that already. The story ends with my friend's mum getting out of the car, pulling the officer over and some money changing hands to the utter disgust of my friend while the mention of "settlement" was thrown around. I just knew it, thats what the issue was, definately . . . .it had to be. It had to be some tax or parking fees that were not paid and was being owed by the the owner of the car bearing that registration number and this Police woman was able to spot this from the moment she saw the car. They really don't make them like this in the west. Nigerians when would you learn to pay your parking fees and car fines so that officers won't have to resort to "stoppage by derrier consolidation" as sampled in the pictures posted? God Bless Nigeria, god bless the Nigerian police force, i promised myself i won't get all teary eyed (*rushes to kiss a nigerian flag*).
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by dean2725: 1:51am On Feb 06, 2009
ROFTFLMAO!!!!!
so who won the battle?
stupid fool!!!!
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Naijex: 2:29am On Feb 06, 2009
Haba Yellow fever grin
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by bawomolo(m): 3:00am On Feb 06, 2009
not as good as Jakumo's but goddamn that was special grin
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by codedguy1(m): 7:54am On Feb 06, 2009
Those pictures were pasted on this forum without any explanation and most people have jumped to the conclusion that the police was about to collect egunje, whether half or full current. I really dont think so.

If we look at he pix, top right corner, w'll see a traffic light post there, i can bet the lady driver disobeyed the light and was stopped by the police, but decided to do a "blues brothers"

The truth is the lady driver would/ should be prosecuted for what she did if we were in a sane society, even if she was on her right, what she did is unacceptable.

As per the police, this is what happens when your reputation goes before you, You get condemned even in instances where you were trying to uphold the law and something like this happens. its really a shame on us as a nation.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by angelina08(f): 8:32am On Feb 06, 2009
Shame to Nigerian Police my brother, taking look of those pictures, i fill so shame.
All this have to put in stop, upon there salary increment the are still stopping cars and taking bribe, the are foolish.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by otukpo(f): 8:41am On Feb 06, 2009
It is really pathetic.

i dont want to make an excuse for the police because most of them are as good as criminals. But i want to point out certain facts about the police and the Nigerian system.

Corruption has eating deep into the Nigerian system, not just the police or because they are poorly paid. Even a well paid Nigerian worker would demand for bribe or look for means of commiting fraud given the opportunity. A banker who we consider well paid wld ask for bribe or commit fraud with the customers account or money given the opportunity. Talk of the Nigerian Customs or Immigration, are they also poorly paid like the police? The list is endless.

If a police officer stops a driver at a check point, the driver is supposed to stop even though they may go ahead to ask some stupid questions, to waste ur time and probably want to collect something from u. Even at traffic control points, some divers wld not want to stop. This is wrong.

So saying shame to Okiro or dt he shld resign does not solve anything. Even b4, Okiro became the IG, all these were happening. What is needed is a reform in the Nigerian police, they should learn to recruit sound and somehow educated officers. they cld make the minimum qualification to be OND. Not recruiting any agbero or criminal or other miscreants who cld pay N50,000.00 to their greedy senior officers. Most of the police officers today especially the new recriuts are just criminals in uniform. The police lack conscience and it is a pathetic situation.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by FBS: 9:03am On Feb 06, 2009
This is nothing but a shame and it clearly shows that there is no rule of law in Nigeria. The police has somewhat lost its respect. . .not certain they had any anyway.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by oluwdashmi(f): 9:10am On Feb 06, 2009
Although funny. The person who took the picture did as if he/she was expecting it. Really perfect.

I am not judging in the case of the Nigerian Police or we Nigerians but with what I can decode in the picture.
If you look at the picture very well, you will see that the policewoman was trying to catch the plate number of the car. Which means the woman driving must have committed an offence and tried to run away. If not the driver wouldn't have done that.  But in the same vein, the policewoman shouldn't have opted to the front cos if she loose her life, nothing happens undecided
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by oluwdashmi(f): 9:13am On Feb 06, 2009
If she dies, the woman will eventually run away cos the other policeman will be confused whether to save his colleague's life or run after the woman. But I know that after the incident, the police will transfer the aggression to any driver that they can lay their hands on cheesy cheesy.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 9:16am On Feb 06, 2009
No police would ever sit on your car because of 50 bucks, they only scope you, and if you give them story they allow you be

What the. . . .

Do you live in Lagos?
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 9:24am On Feb 06, 2009
Am sure i know this place, this is the junction around Our lady of Apostle secondary school around Agnes, i go try look out for the woman
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by JAJUANA: 9:25am On Feb 06, 2009
this is so sad, you know? we all know that the Nigerian police is nothing to write home about, but we should also consider the fact that they are humans and Nigerians,the same law governs all of us,she was only doing her job as far as i am concerned, because if the driver was innocent on her own side? what would have prompted such aggression, i really think this woman should be prosecuted, i mean this is hit and run, isn't it? embarassed
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by neve: 9:55am On Feb 06, 2009
@LUCABRASI

Did you actually call Singaporean police, poverty stricken?  grin

Now that's so hilarious. Because i lived in Singapore, and i can authoritatively say, those men are far from poverty stricken. In fact they one of the highly paid police officers in Asia.

And not only that, they provided with all the latest technology, to make their work easy. so the comparison is simply void.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Anioma777: 10:03am On Feb 06, 2009
Crazy woman driver. No doubt she bought her license. She is lucky the police where not armed with guns.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by smooooooth: 10:29am On Feb 06, 2009
though the nigerian police force is a national disaster and nothing to write home about, we should also acknowledge the fact that the nigerian citizens are also lawless and indisciplined. i am very sure the driver of that car must have comitted an offence and the police was only trying to stop her, but just like all lawless citizens of nigeriando, she must have rolled up her glass, pined the doors and tried getting away from the police not minding if she killed one in the process.

what do u want the police to do in that circumstance, they either jump in front of the car like this one did or some of them open fire sometimes kill someone, something that a little obedience of pulling over and paying an ''egunje''of =N=20 will solve embarassed
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 10:34am On Feb 06, 2009
lmfao!!
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Okijajuju1(m): 11:03am On Feb 06, 2009
If anybody feels that the woman in the picture might have commited an offense thats why she is bailing, then you do not know the Nigerian Police. You can be arrested for any thing in Nigeria. I have seen people molested for driving without a licence (which should not be, in case you do not know), not having a fire extinguisher, or even for driving with a flat tyre.

The Nigerian police is nothing but a legal sanctuary for illiterate Nigerians who seek for a government sponsored way to harrass and obtain innocent and guilty Nigerians alike while earning minimum wage from tax payers money.
I can bet you that nowhere in the police handbook/training manual did it say that jumping on the hood of the car is an accepted method of stopping a vehicle. Whatever happened to taking the licence plate number and putting out an A.P.B (All point bulletin) on the car?? Just because of the #20Naira bribe, our policemen are willing to get run down by cars.
I can bet you that even if it were to be a 26 wheeler truck, our olopa will jump in front just to get that money. Poeple should take out time and visit the police stations and see the kind of offences for which many Nigerians are being jailed for. I have seen people who have stayed in jail for over a week for just fighting.

I remember one time when I was driving and was pulled over by the cops. The following conversation ensued;

Police; Yelling at the top of his voice Hold it!! I say Hold it!! stop there. off that radio.

Okija-juju; Hello officer. How work.

Police; Clear there. I wan see your particulars, drivers licence, insurance, fire extinguisher, caution sign, import duty, police clearance, V.O.A and change of ownership.

Okija_juju; Officer heres my licence, police clearance Insurance (comprehensive) and car particulars. My spare tyre and caution sign are under the car. My caution sign is in the trunk.

Police; Where your change of ownership.

Okija_juju; Oga!! Look the particulars and drivers licence, na me get the car o!! And if you look the body, na tear rubber I buy am. So the first ownership na me. E never change owner yet.

Police; What of your import duty??

Okija_juju; Oga. I buy this car from Elizade Motors for Trans-Amadi. I no import am o!! Infact!! why are you asking me for import duty?? Since when did that become part of the requirements for me to drive a car?? Are you a Customs officer?? Abeg give me my papers make I dey go.

Police; Oya!! Come down from there. Give me the key. Kia kia, Go sit down for there.

It took me threatening to call my lawyers before I was set free.

When the Nigerian Police is involved, you could be arrested for jay-walking while driving.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by lucabrasi(m): 11:18am On Feb 06, 2009
@boss
you are not getting issues in perspective here,first of is singapore the issue?how come you are fixated on singapore,its not like i singled singapore out as a poverty ridden nation so whats the problem here?why are you not going on about zimbabwe that i mentioned,
besides does my knowledge of singaporian economy hinge on my comments?of course not!!

lets not derail the thread as usual with the merits and demerits of singapore,the issue which we should focus on is that in no country in the world no matter how backward,will you literally mow a police personell down and go away scot free outside of nigeria,not even ghana or benin republic(hope these examples are ok for you if singapore is a sore point)

of course everyone knows police do not strike normally,but i will like you to flick through this article to show that anywhere in the world,there is the tendency for them to strike when they are pushed to the world
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/dec/12/politicalnews.immigrationpolicy

brazillian police strike,http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/1447334.stm

as you can see,the recurrent decimal in all these strikes though illegal is pay,now add that to the deplorable conditions the nigerian police are going through which is ten times worse than what these brazillian or british police can ever imagine and then repeat your comments that its the law and cant happen
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by youngies(m): 11:23am On Feb 06, 2009
As a 12 year old in Enugu so many years back, I was traumatized when the police at 9th mile corner delayed our Christmas journey by more than 1 hour asking my dad to prove that his VW beetle car engine was not stolen. He was accused of hiding the VW engine at the back (boot) instead of the front of the car

It took the intervention of some senior police officers to let us off the hook.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by lucabrasi(m): 11:26am On Feb 06, 2009
@bawomolo
they wont throw yansh over bonnet lol lol because they r getting paid adequately including being provided with life insurance and other welfare benefits ,nigerian police dont, like someone said,what is to say the lady didnt have something incriminating in her possesion anyway?
we all read of the vanguard owner's wife who used a young boy for rituals,im sure if most people saw that woman on the road in her luxury car,dressed up gorgeously you ll conclude the police were trying to extort money from her not knowing she has a mobile freezer at the back of her car containing a dead human being
neve:

@LUCABRASI

Did you actually call Singaporean police, poverty stricken?  grin

Now that's so hilarious. Because i lived in Singapore, and i can authoritatively say, those men are far from poverty stricken. In fact they one of the highly paid police officers in Asia.

And not only that, they provided with all the latest technology, to make their work easy. so the comparison is simply void.
i hear you and i stand corrected,but like i have been harping on,singaporean police are not the issue here but the fact that disrepect for the police irrespective of whatever can only happen in nigeria, i ll go back and educate myself on their standards of living  smiley but the crime rate and the total discipline of singaporeans is a credit to their excellent job,i know that for a fact that you cant drop ordinary paper in public there or risk being thrown in jail
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 06, 2009
A very big shame on NIGERIA POLICE!!!

Imagine say " police is your friend"

This has got 2 stop b4 they summon EXCESS COURAGE and invade our homes .

The funniest thing is that it gets worse by the day .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Lady Takes Off To Europe / Impeachment: We Are Working To Resolve Ambode, Lawmakers Rift- APC / How Nigeria Got 'Independence'!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.