Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,558 members, 7,820,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die (12628 Views)

6 BILLION NAIRA BRIBE ; Amaechi Must Mention Names. / Legislators Demand 2.5 Billion Naira Bribe To Pass Petroleum Industry Bill And Swfb-investigation / N50 Million Naira Bribe: Where Are Efcc & Icpc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 12:17pm On Feb 06, 2009
Okija_juju:

When the Nigerian Police is involved, you could be arrested for jay-walking while driving.

My point exactly!

A friend of mine who doesn't reside in Nigeria and had come home on holidays was arrested along with his friends for lying down on the veranda of their house. It took about 50k to get all three of them out.
Not fiction!
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by bintab(f): 12:37pm On Feb 06, 2009
In short i am very happy and proud of this brave woman who out smart this OLE called police woman,imagine standing in front of a car trying to stopped it with her skinny butt. It is a shame what these people will make  naija citizen go thru when they see you driving .I have a bitter experience last year Aug.2008 when i visited naija,they stopped us at every junction and demanded for money even with the presentation of all the papers they demanded . shey na paper we go look, abeg give us something  o, we no say you no be from hia , Sis. wetin you bring come for us, Drop something or else oga go vex, Iya mi e ju le jo, Some even threaten to take the vehicle to their station.I was pissed and at thesame very afraid as i have heard a lot of horrible stories  of people  getting shot by police because you can see that some of them are intoxicated. Nigeria police still have a long way to go,they scare,threat and abuse fellows citizen .May be with some of these exposions help cub  some of them you never can tell.I know if that police woman is shown those pics,she will be embarrass and will not want her family members sees them.It is a Big lesson.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Afam(m): 1:33pm On Feb 06, 2009
It is rather sad that many of us have assumed that the police woman was trying to collect bribe from the driver of the car.

What if the car failed to stop when it was stopped for other vehicles to pass? Quite a number of drivers forget themselves while driving, it is common to see people driving through red lights at traffic light junctions. And when they are stopped they begin to beg.

It is possible that the police woman did nothing wrong. It is even more unfortunate that the driver was able to get away with this act.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by kehindebad(m): 2:26pm On Feb 06, 2009
Nigerians, Ah, quick to judge embarassed
what if the woman driving the car was in violation of a traffic code,
offcourse you know what i'm talking about,
he who hasnt crossed the expressway under a pedestrian bridge should cast the 1st stone grin
I think the driver's actually brutalised a cop and should be arrested whenever she can be accosted
Gbam
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by gReenmAn(m): 2:55pm On Feb 06, 2009
kehidebad, I totally agree with your point. That police woman could actually be performing a legal duty. Yes there're lots of bad eggs in the force, but there still are some few good ones. If you've ever been saved by policemen on patrol from imminent robbery in the dead of night, you will learn to appreciate the Nigerian police every now and then, I've been there, the police were like God-sent angels, all clad in shimmering white complete with glowing halo on their foreheads, If you were in my shoes, you would see them in that same light on this day in question.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by mayordee(m): 3:02pm On Feb 06, 2009
I don't understand why some guys in this forum castigating the lady driving the car for harrassing the policewoman?i can say it anywhere the lady driving didnt commit any traffic offence,get me traffic offence, i know that route wella,i use to drive in that route for good 5yrs wen i was in unilag,the traffic light in that area is not functioning at all so what traffic offence did she commit?There was a day i was driving at that same route and i was stopped by this useless police pple,imagine them accusing me of having a cam coder in my car,i asked them if there was a report of missing camcoder in that area, dey no fit talk but after wasting my time for 1hr they asked me to give them something, These guys are annoying,the whole system is just bad not only the police force, anywais,that is why Naija is unique
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 06, 2009
no one who has experienced the antics of Nigerian policemen would think the woman policewoman was in the right

i posted this earlier in the year

on new years eve, my wife got a call at 9.30pm that one of my cousins a- 13 year old - had been arrested by the police for selling knockout. on arriving at the station, we found a motley collection of individuals who had been arrested for all sorts of ridiculous offences, all in the name of new year chop  money. an old woman had also been arrested for selling knockout - never mind that there is no official law against it. some one had been arrested at a suya joint. i think another at a cybercafe. we parted with 4000, after almost begging those never do well that we call policemen   . to make matters worse at some point, my wife lost her gold anklet - of course, since there is no real difference between a nigerian policeman and a thief. . .its gone.

if you like decieve yourself that you ar safe from the law in nigeria. you are under threat from its agents. if we hadnt bailed out my cousin, who knows what those animals might have done to her. our jails are full of people who were arrested for loitering and who had no one to bail them out. just be careful; in uk/us u can get areested , in nigeria u can get killed. i doubt if this will happen to you though - u seem to be as police would call it a 'person' one who has a name that will make police let you go

if you had been there that night and seen the way the so called guardians of nigeria were behaving, you would have boiled over with rage.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 3:27pm On Feb 06, 2009
So even if the driver was wrong, the next best thing is to jump in front of her moving car? Na mortuary dem go find that person!
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by funpack: 3:29pm On Feb 06, 2009
Chineke mei. This is Nigeria home Video in the making. Please when is the part-two coming out? grin grin
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

So even if the driver was wrong, the next best thing is to jump in front of her moving car? Na mortuary dem go find that person!

ouch. i meant the policewoman
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by mustafar1: 4:40pm On Feb 06, 2009
i read on someones blog, his pet project for 2009 is to encourage nigerians to take pictures. i agree, TOTALLY! call it a paparazzi movement or whatever, but pictures tell a million and one stories.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 4:43pm On Feb 06, 2009
oyb:

ouch. i meant the policewoman

No o! I wasn't referring to you, I was talking to mayordee up there.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by sweetmum(f): 5:03pm On Feb 06, 2009
youngies:

As a 12 year old in Enugu so many years back, I was traumatized when the police at 9th mile corner delayed our Christmas journey by more than 1 hour asking my dad to prove that his VW beetle car engine was not stolen. He was accused of hiding the VW engine at the back (boot) instead of the front of the car

It took the intervention of some senior police officers to let us off the hook.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
He should have prove it now tongue
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by JustGood(m): 5:29pm On Feb 06, 2009
@Afam,
are you implying that if a driver has done something wrong, the proper thing for a police officer to do is to stand in front of the moving vehicle?
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by alanbolo(m): 5:39pm On Feb 06, 2009
The current state of the nation is something else, but as it's been said couple of times,   

The best thing for her is to take the registration number and report same " Assuming d Reg. is valid and trackable"    Just returned from 9ja about 3 wks ,    while I was being driven around,  we did not stop most of the times when we were waved down casually, especially at a remote place,   cause u never know who is the actual officer or just men-in-unform who just want yr loot.     At those times,  I laid down flat in the car 4 fear of any misfired shots,

I wish i have the courage to take pix at that time,   but was cautioned that my camera will be seized and knowing that i came from abroad will complicate issues,      When i drove myself around,   i saw mabo-mabo "but not hell o"  The ordeal i wen thorugh make me think that lagos is not a place Lagosto settle down, I rather move to Abuja and Ibadan where I did not face any issue when driving along their roads.

Hopefully, we can better things by exposing the police and the law-breakers with pictures exposed to the whole public.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by kamalydeen(m): 5:45pm On Feb 06, 2009
i don't appreciate any thing of the police men and women. The lady driving the car suppose to hit her leg,Because they are meant to protect and guide the city not to be dragging #50 from people i hate them i prefair security of dog than police men
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2009
if a snake is trying to bite me, and at d same time if a police man or woman was present, i will prefer to kill the police first b4 bothering about the snake at all, even if the snake was closer with its mouth already open.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by tyoseni(m): 6:04pm On Feb 06, 2009
Though, it is shameful to see 'MEN IN BLACK' in this kind of scenerio. But the fact is that their bad is much more than  there good. But the case in this  pics, the lady driver is at fault.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by cabali(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2009
u cannot completely say shame for now until we hear the conversation that took place btw both -parties involved.

In as much as the police cannot be trusted not to do the wrong things at checks, we still cant. It isnt every checks that come up with wrong inputs and results.

Sometimes confrontations with people have resulted in the police uncovering ritualists' plots. So I cant say for sure that it is all negative
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Freerhyme1(m): 6:55pm On Feb 06, 2009
Its Disgusting.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 6:59pm On Feb 06, 2009
All these people supporting the "police" have seriously not been dealt with by their friends. Seriously.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by phemin: 7:20pm On Feb 06, 2009
na wa oh 4 naija police.upon d money wey dem dey collect,dis womas still wan kill herself. how person go take send d picture to her husband.to say she carry gun now ,maybe na ACCDENTAL DISCHARGE 4 end am.well,na prayer we go dey pray 4 dem.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by coolboy100(m): 10:07pm On Feb 06, 2009
me too no coment for now
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Remii(m): 10:19pm On Feb 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

All these people supporting the "police" have seriously not been dealt with by their friends. Seriously.

This not about supporting the police, the comment should refer to this episode alone because talking about corruption in the police or Nigeria as a whole it goes beyond N50 "toll" they collect. How many N50 can you get from Ibori's $5B or Bode George's N80B etc.

Bribery and corruption goes beyond the police, look at the MM international airport for instance, everyone from Custom, Immigration, NDLEA even airline staff solicits for tips and something till you get to the aircraft. When you go to eateries the story is the same the security guards would salute you not because of anything but for tips. You buy things some would not want to give you change. So the system, is troubled and castigating just one section would not help.

For me, as far as this trend is concerned that driver did not do well. The police in that photo is traffic police and most of them do not stop vehicles unless you contravene the traffic law. They are at their post to make traffic flow and most of them do their job. Example are all over the places. Take that woman at Law school junction and the white musketeer at Unilag junction Yaba among others, they perform their duties so dedicatedly and very emotional at it too. People give them money at will in appreciation of dedication. Guardian and Thisday Newspaper have covered the law school junction lady to attest to this.
So let us not hide in the obscurity of this blog and play saint or write off everyone in the police. If you have problem today with someone police is still the only legal entity you have to report to, no be so!
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikytang(m): 11:10pm On Feb 06, 2009
This is nice bullshit
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by shollyaj(m): 12:02am On Feb 07, 2009
na Today? mehn the Photographys are so funny, Police officers for here are comedians, cant just have enuf of them, I Pledge to Nigeria My Country
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by SeanT21(f): 3:25am On Feb 07, 2009
RUN THAT BITCH OVER!!

**~~~Haha~~**
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by spikedcylinder: 5:43am On Feb 07, 2009
Remii:

This not about supporting the police, the comment should refer to this episode alone because talking about corruption in the police or Nigeria as a whole it goes beyond N50 "toll" they collect. How many N50 can you get from Ibori's $5B or Bode George's N80B etc.

Bribery and corruption goes beyond the police, look at the MM international airport for instance, everyone from Custom, Immigration, NDLEA even airline staff solicits for tips and something till you get to the aircraft. When you go to eateries the story is the same the security guards would salute you not because of anything but for tips. You buy things some would not want to give you change. So the system, is troubled and castigating just one section would not help.

For me, as far as this trend is concerned that driver did not do well. The police in that photo is traffic police and most of them do not stop vehicles unless you contravene the traffic law. They are at their post to make traffic flow and most of them do their job. Example are all over the places. Take that woman at Law school junction and the white musketeer at Unilag junction Yaba among others, they perform their duties so dedicatedly and very emotional at it too. People give them money at will in appreciation of dedication. Guardian and Thisday Newspaper have covered the law school junction lady to attest to this.
So let us not hide in the obscurity of this blog and play saint or write off everyone in the police. If you have problem today with someone police is still the only legal entity you have to report to, no be so!

Unfortunately, comments about the Nigerian Police cannot be restricted to this incident and thread alone. If this was one of a kind situation then yes but it is not. If you have experienced the wrath of a Police man/woman then you won't be here casting accolades in their direction.
I was once slapped for pleading with a police man not to shine torch light in my eyes during the stop and search nonsense. He later apologized when my family members took it up but the deed was done.
I hope you see what I mean?
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by Remii(m): 6:41am On Feb 07, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Unfortunately, comments about the Nigerian Police cannot be restricted to this incident and thread alone. If this was one of a kind situation then yes but it is not. If you have experienced the wrath of a Police man/woman then you won't be here casting accolades in their direction.
I was once slapped for pleading with a police man not to shine torch light in my eyes during the stop and search nonsense. He later apologized when my family members took it up but the deed was done.
I hope you see what I mean?

Spikedcylinder:

I know what you are talking about I am a Nigerian and have been leaving there for more than 40yrs, I have had some very raw deals with police too,1998 when I bought my first car, police arrested me and drove me round Port Harcourt in their vehicle all in attempt to extort money from because of typographical error that could be verified since the seller of the car was in Port Harcourt also, they refused taking me to their station instead drove me round GRA area and threatening changing the case to something else, it took lots of effort and interventions on colleagues to get my car and back. I have had other ordeals too since I drive around but I have a habit of looking at the big picture ithe Nigerian structure virtually not extent, policemen are employed from the society which has student who could not confidently say they wrote exams for which they get certificates, the society where most big men are mere public thieves so how do you expect police to be better that the larger society.

be on the safe side, make sure your papers are in order, stop when the police stops you and be polite, do not kill anyone out of transferred aggression. Police, either good or bad has law on its side and has right like any where in the would to stop and search any one. Hope I am communicating.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by chemicalT(m): 8:27am On Feb 07, 2009
Its a shame to the entire police force. I will urge the ogas to call their people to d correct way.
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by CrazyMan(m): 9:44am On Feb 07, 2009
The driver should have told her that she doesn't have N20 on her. Or maybe the female officer doesn't even understands English
Re: Shame On Nigerian Police - All Because Of 50 Naira Bribe They Want To Die by jacobs123(m): 9:59am On Feb 07, 2009
While these pictures says a lot, it is not enough to evaluate and come to a conclusion on what may have transpired. There are however a few things we can conclude however:

The Nigerian Police cannot curb crime in this country the way it's presently constituted and led and it needs to be reformed.
Majority of our policemen do not deserve to wear a Police uniform anywhere in the world.
Every body complains about the state of Nigerian Police but is it a surprise that this is one institution where hardly anyone resigns.
If our policemen cannot resign from this job, then it is probably the best they can get so they should keep quiet. (note that my first point is that they need to be reformed)
I have worked closely with Policemen and know that most of them don't even have school certificate. These are illiterates.
The last recruitment of policemen still had people buying scratch card of 1,000 naira for a salary of 10,000 naira. does it not tell you that they are going there for the bribes?
There is no way we can expect any change from the present hierarchy of the police force. Somebody has to be brought in as the IG from Commisioner of Police and below and all his seniors sacked!
I was inside a danfo once and heard the driver saying that a certain policeman was his former conductor!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aregbesola Confirms Longevity Of State’s Loans Payment / Zulum Delivers 77 Projects, Programmes In 100 Days – SSG / First Lady Takes Off To Europe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.