Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,846 members, 7,820,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:36 AM

Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory (1430 Views)

These Photos Will Remind You That Wearing Bra Is So Old-school / How Old School Boys Write Letters To Girls In The 70s+80s / 8 Differences Between Old School And Modern days Love (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by HarrisonAkadidi(m): 6:31pm On May 06, 2015
So here’s a one day experience I had with newer generation of young people… not too far ago I use to think I was part of this generation of young people, but just a day experience changed all that… by the way I’m not 30 yet… grin

I was in a gathering of young people, teaching on a simple topic – Have a dream…
So I asked a simple question – I said “Who remembers the song – Try Again by Aaliyah” and suddenly everyone went quiet, so I felt ok… maybe they just don’t know the title of the song; so I was like “but you guys know Aaliyah right” the response was “No”

I go so concerned – I started asking more questions

“Who knows – Blu Cantrell “Hit em up” – The response was “No”
- Missy Elliot – Get your freak on
- Matt – R&B 2Rue
- TLC – No Scrub
- Jegged Edge – Where the party at
- Bubber Spaxxx – Ugly
- Sisqo – Thong Song, unleash the dragon, gat to get it etc…
- Kelvin Little – Turn me on

I went on and on and yet the majority answers where “Nah” – So I paused for a little while and I asked “what year where you guys born?” and majority were “1996 and 1997” – Low and behold; these are the present day 18 and 19 years old youth… so that mean; in 2000 to 2003 (Which were the golden age in music) they were still within the age of 5 to 6 years old.

I almost asked if they knew what a “Discman or a Walkman” was… cheesy

And somewhere in my mind… I’m wondering how in the world do “these girls have big boobs and hips” (excuse my thoughts) cheesy

To crown it all… A girl in the audience then said “I know those songs, those are OLD SCHOOL SONGS

So if she was right; and those songs were truly old school, which clearly are songs of our time; that means we are the old school generation because the song we call old school; are songs released in the 70’s and 80’s
We are the final year students of our generation…

(c) Harrison Akadidi

pin: 2B188BC7
Twitter: @HarrisonAkadidi

2 Likes

Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by tpiadotcom: 6:32pm On May 06, 2015
in 2000 to 2003 (Which were the golden age in music)

jokes
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by izuch(m): 6:36pm On May 06, 2015
True talk

2 Likes

Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 6:42pm On May 06, 2015
Lol! Btw, the 90s were the golden age in music imo. I still listen to a lot of 90s music by people like Blackstreet, Queen Pen, Foxy Brown, Kci & Jojo, Coolio (kikiki), Silk E fyne, etc. Still love Silk E Fyne's Romeo & Juliet song to this day cheesy
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by boynigeria(m): 6:44pm On May 06, 2015
dude thats so true,
im persently studying for ma MA in NYC and i cant even walk up and ask any of this babes out again
they all look matured especially the white ones
the last time i did, the girl was 17 and i 26, didnt kn until we almost did it in ma dorm and here sleeping with a minor will get me on d next flight to Nigeria or be charged with rape

1 Like

Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 06, 2015
If I read that finish let my blockos separate from my dickenchy angry

2 Likes

Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by LeSudAfricaine: 6:49pm On May 06, 2015
Man I miss the 90's...sighs!
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by LeSudAfricaine: 6:52pm On May 06, 2015
PunkyOh:
Lol! Btw, the 90s were the golden age in music imo. I still listen to a lot of 90s music by people like Blackstreet, Queen Pen, Foxy Brown, Kci & Jojo, Coolio (kikiki), Silk E fyne, etc. Still love Silk E Fyne's Romeo & Juliet song to this day cheesy
Yeah, I can relate to this, I still blaze the Wu Tang Clan to this day, just can't stand the likes of Drake, Juicy J etc
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 6:54pm On May 06, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Man I miss the 90's...sighs!

Dude, that's when everything made a lot of sense musically. Do you still remember Coolio's gangsta's paradise? Back home, It's about time by boom shaka, shibobo by tkzee, etc. Those were the days!
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by tpiadotcom: 7:00pm On May 06, 2015
please do not bring on another round of "do you remember this biscuit, this pure water or this food flask/video rewinder" threads.

una claims sef don't make sense, why would you single out 2000 to 2003 as a supposed "golden age" of music?
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 7:01pm On May 06, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Yeah, I can relate to this, I still blaze the Wu Tang Clan to this day, just can't stand the likes of Drake, Juicy J etc

I know right! I still love some of the new songs but most are easily forgotten & will never make it to "classic" status imo
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 06, 2015
punkyoh interesting dp.
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by MrDojo(m): 7:06pm On May 06, 2015
So dis thread is basically old men association........most of d songs other pple ave posted neva heard of em....xcept d popular 1's.......thank God waz nt born in d 80's

#pawpaw is a type of Food
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 7:06pm On May 06, 2015
blublahd:
punkyoh
interesting dp.

grin
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by LeSudAfricaine: 7:09pm On May 06, 2015
PunkyOh:

Dude, that's when everything made a lot of sense musically. Do you still remember Coolio's gangsta's paradise? Back home, It's about time by boom shaka, shibobo by tkzee, etc. Those were the days!
I was actually lamenting this the other day, I was saying the other day to a friend, that you don't even find cartoons on TV anymore, they are only on DSTV, even those are'nt as good as the ones we grew up watching, lol. Kids also don't play like we used to, remember, ibathi, umgusha, kites, etc! Had a blast growing up, I feel for today's kids they seem bored and uninspired
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by tpiadotcom: 7:13pm On May 06, 2015
André 3000 wrote "Hey Ya!" in 2000,but began work on recording it in December 2002

"Hey Ya!" is a song written and produced by André 3000 for his 2003 album The Love Below, part of the hip hop duo OutKast's double album Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

wiki

can anyone list the other songs in this category.

I don't like it when people pull stats out of thin air.
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 7:14pm On May 06, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
I was actually lamenting this the other day, I was saying the other day to a friend, that you don't even find cartoons on TV anymore, they are only on DSTV, even those are'nt as good as the ones we grew up watching, lol. Kids also don't play like we used to, remember, ibathi, umgusha, kites, etc! Had a blast growing up, I feel for today's kids they seem bored and uninspired

True dat!

We were resourceful lol.
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by HarrisonAkadidi(m): 10:18pm On May 06, 2015
PunkyOh:

I could also remember songs like "Baha Men - Who let the dogs out. Shaggy it wasn't me. these were the good old days mehnnn... can't seem to flow with the now songs from drakes and the rest, wtf is 0-100 #Crap...
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by soulminister(m): 12:08am On May 07, 2015
any song older than boyz2men, I don't know it unless it is Ladysmith black mambazo.

but you don't mess with me in country music and rock with the likes of lady antebellum, Luke Byran, dolly parton, mark Shultz, don willams e.t.c.
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by PunkyOh(f): 5:30am On May 07, 2015
HarrisonAkadidi:

I could also remember songs like "Baha Men - Who let the dogs out. Shaggy it wasn't me. these were the good old days mehnnn... can't seem to flow with the now songs from drakes and the rest, wtf is 0-100 #Crap...

Hahaha. Oh man, I remember those songs too! Good times indeed.
Re: Born In The 1980's? You Are The Old School Generation - Here's Why #truestory by mrbillz(m): 6:20am On May 07, 2015
80s kids! The last sane generation

(1) (Reply)

10 Things You Never Knew About Condoms / Ladies, See Prayer For Our Boyfriend's Friends. / Friendzone Aint Hellzone. Guys Growup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.