Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (55538 Views)

Ijaw Dialects And Where They Are Spoken / Detailed List Of Hausa Dialects And Places Spoken. / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ceejayluv(m): 6:25pm On May 07, 2015
WTF is an "edo" dialect?... Could you specify if it's Bini or Esan, etc.?
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Oyecute(m): 6:26pm On May 07, 2015
Another tori don land
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Arosa(m): 6:26pm On May 07, 2015
Interesting!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ebonymiss: 6:26pm On May 07, 2015
Gejpresident:
God bless edo state

bini kingdom one of d greatest kingdom in Africa

we conquered Yoruba land their first king oduduwa is from benin

oba of benin rule Lagos and name it eko
kiss kiss kiss kiss grin

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by isan(m): 6:27pm On May 07, 2015
Gejpresident:
God bless edo state

continue barking like a toothless bulldog

6 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Ebonymiss: 6:28pm On May 07, 2015
Fried chicken on my mind grin
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by salam1(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2015
msi laptop for sale location, minna and abj. 08038873737
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by stinggy(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2015
mulattoclaro:
Yes o. Tribalism will not allow the mods move this write up to front page.

And when they did
Who hates Edo? Stop the negative feeling bro.

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by slapandfall(m): 6:29pm On May 07, 2015
@OP.. I don't think this is a valid argument..

In No 16, and 20, I can see Okpebho local govt Area and u said it is part of Edo.. That is untrue..

There is no such local government in edo state.

That has long bein changed since God knows when.

I am a pure Ishan boy.. Ewossa from Igueben LGA of Edo State.. AAU Ekpoma Bred..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by saymax(f): 6:32pm On May 07, 2015
Nice one op! I represent Ososo!
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by barnacle: 6:35pm On May 07, 2015
proudly owan east

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by opeaceo: 6:40pm On May 07, 2015
Radoillo:
Technically, Ekpon is not an Esan dialect. Even if the Ekpon ethnically identify as Esan.
I agree with you on that, the languages are not similar at all

1 Like

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by NigerMan1: 6:42pm On May 07, 2015
slapandfall:
@OP.. I don't think this is a valid argument..

In No 16, and 20, I can see Okpebho local govt Area and u said it is part of Edo.. That is untrue..

There is no such local government in edo state.

That has long bein changed since God knows when.

I am a pure Ishan boy.. Ewossa from Igueben LGA of Edo State.. AAU Ekpoma Bred..

Yes you are right. But just correct him, his is 100% valid and historically true. In fact the EDOID dialect far extended than he listed

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by chamboy(m): 6:42pm On May 07, 2015
Esan is a gossip version of yoruba ...
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Noneroone(m): 6:43pm On May 07, 2015
At the mention of Biafra...grin
akthedream:
something dey worry you..biafra ko..Biafra ni....the ealier you know the difference between SS and SE,the better for you..
akthedream:
Don't mind the drunkard...na by force to join Biafra?
akthedream:
something dey worry you..biafra ko..Biafra ni....the ealier you know the difference between SS and SE,the better for you..

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by eghuan1(m): 6:44pm On May 07, 2015
Radoillo:
Technically, Ekpon is not an Esan dialect. Even if the Ekpon ethnically identify as Esan.

I wanted to point out this issue before I saw your writing. as an ekpon person, I don't understand how people keep claiming Ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. why not claim agbor, and the Ika speaking places to be an arm of the benin kingdom? the fact that Ogbemudia made a political mistake and our people allowed the mistake to stand, one overzealous benin man will come and claim ekpon language to be an Edo dialect. compare agbor language with ekpon and then compare ekpon with esan and see the difference.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by scholes0(m): 6:46pm On May 07, 2015
chamboy:
Esan is a gossip version of yoruba ...

LMAO lipsrsealed cheesy
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by ariyebaba(m): 6:46pm On May 07, 2015
vb0mb:
Igarra(Etuno) Akoko-Edo
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by dennismukoro(m): 6:47pm On May 07, 2015
[quote author=mulattoclaro post=33502322]1. Aduge is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Kwara State, Oyi LGA.

2. Degema is an Edo dialect spoken by the people of Rivers State, Degema LGA. Dialects are Atala, Usokun (Kala Degema).

3. Engenni (Ngene, Egene) [ENN]. Rivers State, Ahoada and Yenagoa LGAs. Dialects are Ediro, Inedua, Ogua.

4. Epic (Epie-Atissa) [EPI]. Rivers State, Yenagoa LGA.

5. Isoko, Delta State, Isoko and Ndokwa LGAs.

6. Iyayu (Idoani) [IYA], Ondo State. One quarter of Idoani town speak this dialect. The people are sometimes called "Idoani ".

7. Okpe (Oke), Delta State, Okpe LGA. Distinct from Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku which is Northwestern Edoid.

8. Okpe-Idesa-Oloma-Akuku [OKP], Edo State, Akoko-Edo LGA. Dialects are Okpe, Idesa, Oloma, Akuku. Oloma may be a separate language different from Okpe which is Southwestern Edoid.

REMOVE URHOBO AND OKPE FROM UR RUBBISH LIST

2 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by klax(m): 6:48pm On May 07, 2015
Gejpresident:
God bless edo state

Sometime people like you talk like a mad man or would I say you are a mad man already because what are we talking about and what are you saying just read your post and tell me the connection it has with the thread

May be you just coming out of where you go smoke igbo(weed) finish and find free megabits on the floor I guess.

Edo conquered the Yoruba the weirdest talk I have ever heard all my life truly igbo(weed) dey worry you honestly.

7 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by mulattoclaro(m): 6:51pm On May 07, 2015
ElekeNtioba:
Can any bini historian tell me hw their ancient knigdom managed to dominate other tribes of southern Nigerian and ended up with a small population compared to others??

Was there an ethnic cleansing or sumtin??

I'm just curious
the British invasion of the benin empire in 1897 led to the destruction of the edo empire and their civilisation.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by dennismukoro(m): 6:54pm On May 07, 2015
U DONT KNW ANYTHING ABOUT THE URHOBOS AND OKPE WHICH ARE SAME. THOUGH EDO AND DELTA ARE TOGETHER IN OLD BENDEL. BUT THE BENIN POPULATION IS NOT NEAR THE URHOBOS WHICH IS THE 5TH LARGEST IN NIGERIA. SO OP STOP DRINKING ORIGIN.
Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by scholes0(m): 6:55pm On May 07, 2015
mulattoclaro:
the British invasion of the benin empire in 1897 led to the destruction of the edo empire and their civilisation.

Oh pleease ..... undecided that is rubbish talk
The Edo/Bini were not the only people to suffer European conquest.

3 Likes

Re: A List Of All Edo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. by Nobody: 6:57pm On May 07, 2015
exthar87:
I would love them to achieve their biafra cause they will still kill themselves over power
That is true..they can't even live together without qualms..I don't know why majority of them are trouble makers..Only some of them that were born and grew up in the city reason well sometimes...I tire for them o...what pains me most is that other people regards Edo and the rest of the SS as Igbo.that thing dey pain me no be small.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Naomi Oluwaseyi Ogundamisi's Pre-Birthday Photo / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos / Queen Ola Badirat Ajoke Celebrates Her 31st Birthday (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.