Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,112 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived (59505 Views)

11 Most Influential Nigerian Women By Ovoko.com (Photos) / Governance: The 3 Most Unlucky States In Nigeria / 9 Most Influential Nigerian Politicians In 2015 - Takemetonaija.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 08, 2015
freecocoa:
Get over yourself.

She likes me
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by freecocoa(f): 6:27pm On May 08, 2015
Y
Freemanan:

She likes me
You wish.

Bye.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 08, 2015
freecocoa:
YYou wish.

Bye.

Will it be a bad wish?
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Chuksgeo: 6:38pm On May 08, 2015
[quote author=Shortyy post=33534388][/quote]

I think you are a bigotic tribalist!
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Shortyy(f): 6:40pm On May 08, 2015
Chuksgeo:

I think you are a bigotic tribalist!
i'm lost here..
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Rick9(m): 6:42pm On May 08, 2015
I am bewildered that I can't find Queen Amina of zaria's name on that list
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by ddefoe: 6:42pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:
Also, based on the 5 major human geographical divisions we have in Nigeria

The Core-northern part of Nigeria, the Middlebelt part, Eastern, Western & Niger deltan

Let's say Margaret Ekpo represents the Niger deltan region as an Ibibio
Ladi Kwali represents the Middlebelt region as a Gbagyi woman
& Funmilayo Kuti represents the Western (yoruba speaking region)

I'd like to hear from Igbos (easternerns) and the Hausa-fulanis (core-northernerns), who are the most influential Igbo & Hausa-fulani women that ever lived??
Margret Ekpo is an Ibo woman married to an efik man.she can represent her people the south easterners if u don't mind
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by isalegan2: 7:02pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:
Here's a very realistic list of the likely 3 Most influential Nigerian women that ever lived, in no particular order.

I'd also like Nairalanders to tell between these 3 women who inspires you more and who is deserving of the tag of the Most influential Nigerian woman that ever lived.

Hard to pick one - at the moment. My most admired or influential wouldn't be any of your three. But, amongst your 3, I am most interested in the potter, Mrs. Kwali. I hadn't heard much about her so far.

I like your initiative. Nice topic for discussion, OP. cool I hope you won't be offended by a little honest assessment. (Of course, you don't need anyone's opinion; only because of so much unwarranted negative feedback on a very good thread - at least based on your opening posts; haven't read every single post here - someone said your subsequent comments betray tribalism. Dunno.)

You overreached a little when you described it as "a very realistic list." Whose realism? Whose objective research? What criteria? You also limited it to women who all lived in the same century. Maybe going back a little in time would have enlightened some and broadened the history to show women were doing great things before colonisation. Ultimately, I see it is a good thread of "Nowenuse's 3 most admired women."

Overall, A2. cheesy

Women Rule; Black Girls Rock!

Thanks for playing. wink

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Cashio(m): 7:20pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:
Also, based on the 5 major human geographical divisions we have in Nigeria

The Core-northern part of Nigeria, the Middlebelt part, Eastern, Western & Niger deltan

Let's say Margaret Ekpo represents the Niger deltan region as an Ibibio
Ladi Kwali represents the Middlebelt region as a Gbagyi woman
& Funmilayo Kuti represents the Western (yoruba speaking region)

I'd like to hear from Igbos (easternerns) and the Hausa-fulanis (core-northernerns), who are the most influential Igbo & Hausa-fulani women that ever lived??
late doctor dora akunyili...patience ozokwor
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by cutietokunbo: 7:27pm On May 08, 2015
meolaniyi:
She is not igbo. attachee by force. Ekpo can never be Igbo. and she will never be Igbo.
you guys should look for your own. Rubbish! how can she be Igbo? she is not Igbo. Fumi, is full Yoruba. Ekpo is not Igbo. before you
know it now they will claim her like they want to claim Lagos. SS people don't allow this covetous people to claim one of your own.

This is getting too much of you people. every thing they want to claim. spit on you people

The spit is necessary ny brother
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by cutietokunbo: 7:32pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Ekpo never represented Aba in anything. Read the story well
She only organised and created pressure groups in Aba, because Aba was the largest city in her region (Eastern region. So she functioned from Aba.

Margaret Ekpo got elected into the parliament by the influence of her husband John Udo Ekpo who was also a member of the parliament and her husband was Ibibio.

So u can see that Efik-Ibibio influence was what made Margaret Ekpo who he was and not Igbo. because her Igbo father died while she was still young and her Efik mother brought her up to a grown woman.
However she lived as a proud eastern woman representing her region and fighting for the women in her region in totality. Igbo women benefited from Ekpo more than Ibibio-Efik women because almost all of Ekpo's activities were based in Aba.

They know all this but their greediness and attache by force would not allow their clouded brain to agree with you.

Typical example of this is Yemi Alade who is Yoruba via her Father and Igbo via her mum but if you listen to her music, it all radiate Igbo culture simply cos she was brought up by her mum in the East.

Despite d fact that her father is a Yoruba man and has her full name in Yoruba; everything about her radiate nothing but Igbo culture.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by tchalae: 7:35pm On May 08, 2015
shame on all NL tribalists who dont know what it means to be a Nigerian...who were never taught and do not understand what patriotism means....these women stood for the Nation called "Nigeria" a collective stance of different ethnic groups........what a lost generation trying to tear their legacy apart!......
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by dotune(m): 7:47pm On May 08, 2015
Lol. If ethnicity and tribalism can cause commotion on NL, just know that it is really a serious problem in Nigeria itself.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 7:50pm On May 08, 2015
CaptainOjemba:
You seem to have grown up with Margaret to have know that she was more Efik than Igbo, she doesn't have paternal uncles and cousins?when she was living at Aba, hope she was using Efik to communicate with Umu Nwanyi Aba? I see your write up as delusion inspired

Margaret probably learnt Igbo later in life as her works were based in Aba, but her native and first language remained Efik.

The write up noted that Margaret had a huge set back in her education and life at the time of her father's death. If her father's uncles stood by her, it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by chikzyet(f): 7:52pm On May 08, 2015
grin grin grin grin
SeverusSnape:
4.[size=14pt]PATIENCE JONATHAN[/size]

5. NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA

6. [size=14pt]ASA[/size]
Nairalanders no go kill grin,me o grin cheesy
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 7:54pm On May 08, 2015
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 7:55pm On May 08, 2015
cutietokunbo:

They know all this but their greediness and attache by force would not allow their clouded brain to agree with you.

Typical example of this is Yemi Alade who is Yoruba via her Father and Igbo via her mum but if you listen to her music, it all radiate Igbo culture simply cos she was brought up by her mum in the East.

Despite d fact that her father is a Yoruba man and has her full name in Yoruba; everything about her radiate nothing but Igbo culture.

So would you say Yemi Alade is full Igbo and her Yoruba ancestry is insignificant?
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Ayus34(m): 7:57pm On May 08, 2015
DORA AKUNYILI
FELA'S MOTHER
MOGAJI.....TINUBU'S MOTHER are my real nigerian women to be celebrated

OKONJO IWEALA bleeped UP....she used her own hand to destroy her legacy,she was a hero during obasanjo's regime!

Nigeria politics is really a murky water.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by dotune(m): 7:58pm On May 08, 2015
If Lady Ekpo was born by an Igbo fathers then she's Igbo. What is fascinating is the fact that her mother had so much influence over her zthat she raised her to rep the SS and even got her married to the SS. Mothers can be a great influence over their wards. So are u planning to be one?

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 7:58pm On May 08, 2015
kaura5000:
See this cannibals... whats is it worth to claim berom and gwari.. when I know I surpassed you guys in every indices... ibb is not hausa he is gwari for saying gwari are close to berom.. you should tell that to late senator dahiru awaisu kuta and millions of muslim gwari who outnumbered the Christians... fools

U must be a very useless monkey.
How do u hausa-fulanis surpass we middlebelters? in begging & almajiranchi? So because of Dahiru Awaisu Kuta u conclude that Gbagyi muslims outnumber the christians? then u must be an slowpoke. What about people like David Umaru and Shem Zagbayi?
David Umaru contested governorship and won if not for rigging in 2007 elections but today he is a senator while Zagbayi was an ex deputy governor now acting Senator. So u see that Gbagyi christians still surpass the muslims in the politics of Niger state.
stupid almajiri beggar.

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 7:59pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Margaret probably learnt Igbo later in life as her works were based in Aba, but her native and first language remained Efik.

The write up noted that Margaret had a huge set back in her education and life at the time of her father's death. If her father's uncles stood by her, it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

Perhaps the ones who stood by her couldn't help at the time and she returned to school when they were able to. Perhaps, perhaps.
We weren't there so we'll just have to take the available accounts of her life as they are.
She's part Igbo, that can't be disputed.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 8:02pm On May 08, 2015
dotune:
If Lady Ekpo was born by an Igbo fathers then she's Igbo. What is fascinating is the fact that her mother had so much influence over her zthat she raised her to rep the SS and even got her married to the SS. Mothers can be a great influence over their wards. So are u planning to be one?

She rep-ed Old Eastern Nigeria not SS (there was no such classification at the time) or Efiks, if you choose to go down to the ethnic group. SS have nothing solid in common. They haven't an intertwined history if we are to be honest.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by cutietokunbo: 8:03pm On May 08, 2015
somegirl1:

So would you say Yemi Alade is full Igbo and her Yoruba ancestry is insignificant?

I watched one of her interviews in anticipation of seeing some Yorubaness in her but bro, she is completely influenced and lost to Igbo culture.

She ll look awkward in the midst of Yorubas.

Even Chidinma is more Yoruba than Yemi Alade
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 8:04pm On May 08, 2015
cutietokunbo:

I watched one of her interviews in anticipation of seeing Yorubaness in her but bro, she is completely influenced and lost to Igbo culture.

She ll look awkward in the midst of Yorubas.

Even Chidinma is more Yoruba than Yemi Alade

I hear you but you haven't answered my question.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Springz(f): 8:08pm On May 08, 2015
Amefrica:

Unfortunately! cry
Lol that's why its not good to be on here 24/7 especially on politics section.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 8:08pm On May 08, 2015
PreciousBro:

You are uneducated and most of ,bias and twisted in the mind. You lack the antecedents of life.

How did you jump all the threads before mine that was clearly to ease the tribal nonsense ensuing ? If the rubbish I quoted is your formal yardstick and analysis to determine one's origin then you re better left in a tinapa cage.

Mother tongue? So you think her mom's language is the mother tongue.

And she didn't spend in reasonable amount of her growing years in aba or did you skip the original post and hurriedly quote me in defiance to your ethnic group.

Seriously i used to have respect for u igbos as a middlebelter but it seems that respect is now dwindling because of the reactive, hypertensive and silly character of u igbos sometimes.

If u read d quote well u will clearly see that i was just trying to pull the legs and make a slight joke with the person i quoted and not deserving of the insults u are throwing at me u silly scallywag.

Do u actually know what mother's tongue/native language means? It purely means the language u first learn from birth and have fluency first.
Margaret spent her entire childhood & teenagehood in Calabar with her Efik mother, so she learnt to speak Efik first as her 1st language before she probably later learnt Igbo due to her later works in Aba.
Margaret had married first before she and her husband migrated to settle in Aba.
try to read and comprehend u silly man before u start reacting at the slightest deemed threat.

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by cutietokunbo: 8:09pm On May 08, 2015
somegirl1:

I hear you but you haven't answered my question.

Yes of course her Yoruba ancestry is undeniable but like I said earlier, during the interview, everything about her success was completely influenced by Igbo culture.

The Yoruba ancestry of Yemi Alade ll continue to be part of her but trust me, her Igboness is obvious to d blind and audible to the deaf.

If not cos of her name, nobody ll ever take her serious
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 8:12pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

This is the reason I say you have an IQ of a retaarded house fly, always around shiit because I'm very certain you pulled that out of your yansh!

The article didn't tell us she learnt igbo later in life as you put. And her native tongue first is her father's side for identifying as igbo by her paternity side which is her origin.

The article talked more of her affluence in Aba, igbo town ,given the fact that she was partly and mostly raised there, hence her works and association with her igbo lineage. Like someone said, she couldn't have spoken efik to umu nwayi aba" lol

You are ridiculous with your incessant and embarrassing claim of her being more efik and ibibio than igbo.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 8:14pm On May 08, 2015
cutietokunbo:

Yes of course her Yoruba ancestry is undeniable but like I said earlier, during the interview, everything about her success was completely influenced by Igbo culture.

The Yoruba ancestry of Yemi Alade ll continue to be part of her but trust me, her Igboness is obvious to d blind and audible to the deaf.

If not cos of her name, nobody ll ever take her serious

Exactly.
That solves the issue of Margaret Ekpo's ancestory. She is part Igbo, end of.
Children will usually gravitate towards their mother's culture, whether or not their father is present. It is one of the perks of being a mother.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 8:17pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Seriously i used to have respect for u igbos as a middlebelter but it seems that respect is now dwindling because of the reactive, hypertensive and silly character of u igbos sometimes.

If u read d quote well u will clearly see that i was just trying to pull the legs and make a slight joke with the person i quoted and not deserving of the insults u are throwing at me u silly scallywag.

Do u actually know what mother's tongue/native language means? It purely means the language u first learn from birth and have fluency first.
Margaret spent her entire childhood & teenagehood in Calabar with her Efik mother, so she learnt to speak Efik first as her 1st language before she probably later learnt Igbo due to her later works in Aba.
Margaret had married first before she and her husband migrated to settle in Aba.
try to read and comprehend u silly man before u start reacting at the slightest deemed threat.

Shut that spoiled afang soup infested mouth of yours. Mother tongue is your parental language, could be father of mother's side. You are too quick to deny the paternity side because of obvious reasons stated in your post as you have admitted your dearth of respect for the igbos.

I discerned it in your foolish post.

I'm very certain you lack respect for your paternity lineage and men in general hence your feminist approach to negating ones origin and paternity .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 8:23pm On May 08, 2015
I don't get that whole partly thing that people sling about.

Nonsense! I am for balance. You first and foremost identify with your father's side as its your origin.

I don't attach my self to imaginary things like self delusions, its condescending.

Yemi alade to me is yoruba, hell she doesn't even in the slightest way look igbo to me. Brown skin and all.

I don't do attachee.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NDPVF(m): 8:34pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Stop.Am here already.Mrs.Ekpo is an Igbo married to Efik man.I have a cousin Ukeme by name,but he doesnt know a single Igbo word.But i learnt he is from Owerri.His father was working with NPA calabar,and later got employed in HR department in QIT here.the man was already married from his place,with kids.But coming here,he got along with my Dad's sister,and ukeme was the fruit of that relationship.Today,the man is aged and Ukeme a grown up.But he still bears his surname Ihemtuga.Last year Xmas,grandma forced him to go see his father,and know his people.Ukeme has money to buy land and build anywhere,he cant speak Igbo,but grandma and our family knows that UK is 'aju unege' as we do call igbos.so,that Ekpo grew up anywhere,partenity is the source of origin by birth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? / Abba Kyari Standing By Signpost Of Road Named After Him (Picture) / Solomon Dalung's First Wife Is Dead (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.