Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,813 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived (59513 Views)

11 Most Influential Nigerian Women By Ovoko.com (Photos) / Governance: The 3 Most Unlucky States In Nigeria / 9 Most Influential Nigerian Politicians In 2015 - Takemetonaija.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by kaura5000: 8:42pm On May 08, 2015
This idiot is calling the tribe and people that produce the most richest men in africa beggars.. are you out of your senses? By the way dangote can buy all gwaris and their belongings if you monetize them..
havennie:

U must be a very useless monkey.
How do u hausa-fulanis surpass we middlebelters? in begging & almajiranchi? So because of Dahiru Awaisu Kuta u conclude that Gbagyi muslims outnumber the christians? then u must be an slowpoke. What about people like David Umaru and Shem Zagbayi?
David Umaru contested governorship and won if not for rigging in 2007 elections but today he is a senator while Zagbayi was an ex deputy governor now acting Senator. So u see that Gbagyi christians still surpass the muslims in the politics of Niger state.
stupid almajiri beggar.
mumu
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by OYAY(m): 8:47pm On May 08, 2015
This thread is informative and educating which deserve digesting without being bored of reading it despite its volume unlike the dolphin kissing thing or baby showering stuffs!
These are people that have carved a niche for themself in Nigeria through hardwork,intelligent and talent which is worth commending and emulating. Kudos to the trio.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Yemiolads(f): 8:53pm On May 08, 2015
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NDPVF(m): 8:57pm On May 08, 2015
kaura5000:
This idiot is calling the tribe and people that produce the most richest men in africa beggars.. are you out of your senses? By the way dangote can buy all gwaris and their belongings if you monetize them.. mumu
shut it already.mention them lets see.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NDPVF(m): 9:00pm On May 08, 2015
kaura5000:
This idiot is calling the tribe and people that produce the most richest men in africa beggars.. are you out of your senses? By the way dangote can buy all gwaris and their belongings if you monetize them.. mumu
You Hausa/Fulanis are giving good people of middle belt bad reputation.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 9:13pm On May 08, 2015
When you are using the word probably, it means you are not sure of what you are saying, stop feeding people with useless assumption, I believe you were the one that taught her Igbo with which she was using to convince other women in their strugggle
havennie:

Margaret probably learnt Igbo later in life as her works were based in Aba, but her native and first language remained Efik.

The write up noted that Margaret had a huge set back in her education and life at the time of her father's death. If her father's uncles stood by her, it wouldn't have been as bad as it was.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 9:23pm On May 08, 2015
genieluv:
What did the Igbo nation do to honour or immortalize late Margaret Ekpo of blessed memories? u ppl should not just stop at asserting her igboness because of her paternity.

The airport in Calabar is named after Margaret Ekpo, there are roadways and halls named after Margaret Ekpo in Calabar to show how the Efik people cherish her
What did Igbo people do to remember her? i am asking all the igbos in the house....mtcheww
All u people do is claim!

What the OP has said remains the fact.
Ibibio/Efik influence made Margaret Ekpo who she was. The only part of her that is Igbo is her father's sperm as IanSweet puts it.....LoL

(No offence to my igbo peeps pls), i am also of mixed igbo origin, infact just like Margaret, my own father was a product of his Igbo mother because his own Benue father died early too.

My sister abeg help me ask them oo.

Seriously, this stupid Nigerian culture where all the credit goes to the father is very very stupid.
The mother owns the child as equally as the father does.
U will see the father's people reject the mother and her child when the father dies, but tomorrow when the mother has managed to raise the child on her own and the child becomes succesful, all the stupid father's people will come out to start laying claims and the same uncles will sit down to collect the bride price if the child is a female.

Where were Margaret's father's igbo people when her mother was struggling to raise her up?
If Margaret's father's people were truly responsible, they would have collected Margaret from the mother when her father died, but they didn't, but when she became succesful, all of them wanted to lay claims.
Thank God Margaret later married from her mother's side to further bind her lineage to her Efik-Ibibio roots, but see Margaret, her father's side even enjoyed more of her than her mother's side because almost all her works were based in Aba, and Aba women benefitted more from her.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 9:31pm On May 08, 2015
kaura5000:

Animal like u.
Why don't Dangote start from feeeing the millions of almajiris littered all over Nigeria?
We middlebelters feed your almajiri children as they come to beg in our cities.
Tell Dangote to come and pack all the hausa almajiri children from Jos, Minna, Abuja, Lafia, Bida, Wukari e.t.c before i can take u any serious.

U should even be ashamed that d richest african is a hausa man, when more than half of ur people are roadside beggars, almajiris and illiterates. nonsense!

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by ianSweet(f): 9:38pm On May 08, 2015
PreciousBro:

This is the reason I say you have an IQ of a retaarded house fly, always around shiit because I'm very certain you pulled that out of your yansh!

The article didn't tell us she learnt igbo later in live as you put. And her native tongue first is her father's side for identifying as igbo by her paternity side which is her origin.

The article talked more of her affluence in Aba, igbo town ,given the fact that she was partly and mostly raised there, hence her works and association with her igbo lineage. Like someone said, she couldn't have spoken efik to umu nwayi aba" lol

You are ridiculous with your incessant and embarrassing claim of her being more efik and ibibio than igbo.

Margaret was not raised in Aba at all. Try to read her biography again.
She was born and bred in Calabar, she only went to Aba later in life after she married.
Aba was a centre of government in the old eastern region of which Efiks n Ibibios were part of and this was the reason why both Margaret and her Husband went to live in Aba.

Efik definitely should be the language Margaret first learnt and not igbo, pls don't embarass yourself here.
Mind u am not Efik nor Ibibio am an igala lady before u start insulting Efiks.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by ianSweet(f): 9:45pm On May 08, 2015
kaura5000:

See, u this hausa man, never u insult middlebelt people in your life because u people can never be better than us.
The most successful women from Northern Nigeria were from middlebelt areas. People like late Hajiya Gambo Wasaba who fought and advocated for women's rights in northern Nigeria, she was Nupe by tribe. Ladi Kwali the only Nigerian woman to be on the naira note is a Gbagyi woman
See other people like Sarah Nnazwa Jubril who was the first Nigerian woman to contest presidency, she was also a Nupe woman.
U hausa-fulanis are too backward. Silly people, al u do is force extra large hijabs on ur women and deny them their rights, using them only as sex objects and u are here insulting middlebelters who are making waves all over Nigeria. foolish almajiri

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NDPVF(m): 9:46pm On May 08, 2015
ianSweet:

She was born and bred in Calabar, she only went to Aba later in life after she married.
Aba was a centre of government in the old eastern region of which Efiks n Ibibios were part of and this was the reason why both Margaret and her Husband went to live in Aba.

Efik definitely should be the language Margaret first learnt and not igbo, pls don't embarass yourself here.
Aba the centre of government in Eastern region?.What of Enugu?.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 9:46pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Seriously, this stupid Nigerian culture where all the credit goes to the father is very very stupid.
U will see the father's people reject the mother and her child when the father dies, but tomorrow when the mother has managed to raise the child on her own and the child becomes succesful, all the stupid father's people will come out to start laying claims and the same uncles will sit down to collect the bride price if the child is a female.

Where were Margaret's father's igbo people when her mother was struggling to raise her up?
If Margaret's father's people were truly responsible, they would have collected Margaret from the mother when her father died, but they didn't, but when she became succesful, all of them wanted to lay claims.

Thank God Margaret later married from her mother's side to further bind her lineage to her Efik-Ibibio roots, but see Margaret, her father's side even enjoyed more of her than her mother's side because almost all her works were based in Aba, and Aba women benefitted more from her.

My dear if I were you, I'd hide my face in shame, it is clear you have nothing to bring forth. You confuse yourself with the bolded as though its a basis for argument, the article even gave credence more about her igbo side and nothing at all about her mother's efik ethnicity save for the fact that she was born in cross-river. Read below again.

"She later joined the decolonization-leading National Council
of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC), as a platform to
represent a marginalized group.
In the 1950s, she also teamed up with Funmilayo Ransome-
Kuti to protest killings at an Enugu coal mine; the victims
were leaders protesting colonial practices at the mine. In
1953, Ekpo was nominated by the NCNC to the regional
House of Chiefs, and in 1954 she established the Aba
Township Women's Association.

Basically all her movement centred igbo towns, her knack for women rights and independence and strong willed self reflects igbo if you ask me.

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Ojiofor: 9:48pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Margret Ekpo was igbo married to Efik just the same way Christy Essien Igbokwe was an Efik married to an Igboman..you can't twist facts.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 9:50pm On May 08, 2015
ianSweet:

I said all her works and affluence she was identified with is aba related and her movement for women right stemmed from her works where she relocated to.

Don't quote me again please.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 9:56pm On May 08, 2015
PreciousBro:

My dear if I were you, I'd hide my face in shame, it is clear you have nothing to bring forth. You confuse yourself with the bolded as though its a basis for argument, the article even gave credence more about her igbo side and nothing at all about her mother's efik ethnicity save for the fact that she was born in cross-river. Read below again.

"She later joined the decolonization-leading National Council
of Nigeria and the Cameroons [b] (NCNC), [as a platform to
represent a marginalized group.
In the 1950s, she also teamed up with Funmilayo Ransome-
Kuti to protest killings at an Enugu coal mine; the victims
were leaders protesting colonial practices at the mine. In
1953, Ekpo was nominated by the NCNC to the regional
House of Chiefs, and in 1954 she established the Aba
Township Women's Association.
As

Margaret's activities were more or less based in Igbo areas simply because she acknowledged the fact that Igbos were the major ethnic group in the old eastern region, so her influence on Igbos would make more influence in the region, nothing else.

This was the same case with late Hajiya Gambo Wasaba, she also deserves to be on this list.
Wasaba is a Nupe woman but she functioned from Kaduna, Zaria & Kano because Kaduna was the centre of the old regional northern region of which her own Nupe people were also part of.
The Emir of Kano even had problems with Wasaba because of her fierce feminism strategies and he banned her from entrance into Kano for a period of time.
Wasaba needed to function more in hausa land because Hausas were d major group in old Northern region and not because she had any attachment to Hausa.
Till date Wasaba's family house remains in Zaria and all her children have been naturalized as indigenes of Zaria, Kaduna state but that doesn't make them hausa.
Pls let us learn to get some facts right. We are not illiterates here.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 08, 2015
jascon1:
hahaha yeah!!! i got that. wow we keep crossing paths. am simply going to follow you just in case you start trekking to Otueke. nice one. hows ya weekends bro? i wish i could hang out with you n catch some bottles
That is One thing I would not resist if I have to. Be preparing for that drink, maybe we would have to cross path, eye in eye.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 9:59pm On May 08, 2015
NCNC is sub group that stemmed from the political party founded by igbos then (correct me if I'm wrong)

she couldn't have spoken English or Efik to the women in that eastern region as Nwafor that she was.

This argument is ridiculous! LoL

They were little or no information about ibibio or efik about her save for the fact she married one and was born in cross-river ,but more of igbo talks and igbo towns.

Smh

End this squirming display of embarrassment. She was more igbo than efik or ibibio. Y'all need to read the article again.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 9:59pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Margaret's activities were more or less based in Igbo areas simply because she acknowledged the fact that Igbos were the major ethnic group in the old eastern region, so her influence on Igbos would make more influence in the region, nothing else.

This was the same case with late Hajiya Gambo Wasaba, she also deserves to be on this list.
Wasaba is a Nupe woman but she functioned from Kaduna, Zaria & Kano because Kaduna was the centre of the old regional northern region of which her own Nupe people were also part of.
The Emir of Kano even had problems with Wasaba because of her fierce feminism strategies and he banned her from entrance into Kano for a period of time.
Wasaba needed to function more in hausa land because Hausas were d major group in old Northern region and not because she had any attachment to Hausa.
Till date Wasaba's family house remains in Zaria and all her children have been naturalized as indigenes of Zaria, Kaduna state but that doesn't make them hausa.

What exactly is your argument? that she isn't Igbo or .......?
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by drkay(m): 10:00pm On May 08, 2015
Queen Amina of Zaria, Madam tinubu, Kwali
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 10:01pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Sadly all you typed isn't in the article or how did you surmise her movement and affluence we all know ?

4 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 10:02pm On May 08, 2015
The old regional system of govt did not favour we from minority groups.

Hajiya Gambo Wasaba did all her campaigns and her agitation in Hausa language and not her own native Nupe language simply because hausas controlled the Northern region and she must blend in to gain acceptance.
This was also same case with Margaret Ekpo.

I bet if Funmilayo Ransome Kut had been a Bendelite, she would have functioned from Lagos or Ibadan which were the centres of the old western region and not Warri or Benin.

Get d difference Nitwitt
We minorities were like slaves in the old regional govt system, but thank God today nothing like that anymore.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NDPVF(m): 10:05pm On May 08, 2015
ianSweet:

I don't understand you guys arguement.Did you study Biology at all?.
Ok lets leave the icon,lets talk pure Biology,with real life experience.someone here earlier said that,the musician Yemi Alade does everything in Igbo like manner,but another person asked him,does that make him Igbo,and he tactically said no.thats the arguement.I used my cousin to give you example,but you are still arguing.WHAT D FVVCK.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 10:05pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Hajiya Gambo Wasaba did all her campaigns and her agitation in Hausa language and not her own native Nupe language simply because hausas controlled the Northern region and she must blend in to gain acceptance.

I bet if Funmilayo Ransome Kut had been a Bendelite, she would have functioned from Lagos or Ibadan which were the centres of the old western region and not Warri or Benin.

Get d difference Nitwitt
We minorities were like slaves in the old regional govt system, but thank God today nothing like that anymore.

Was any of Hajiya Gambo Wasaba's parents Hausa?
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 10:07pm On May 08, 2015
havennie:

Get d difference Nitwitt

I think too much assumption is a terrible bipolar disorder.

Learn to talk about facts and its interpretations. Stop all the behind the scene scenario ,no one knows all this hog wash you are ranting about.

3 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Emyben(m): 10:07pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:
Also, based on the 5 major human geographical divisions we have in Nigeria

The Core-northern part of Nigeria, the Middlebelt part, Eastern, Western & Niger deltan

Let's say Margaret Ekpo represents the Niger deltan region as an Ibibio
Ladi Kwali represents the Middlebelt region as a Gbagyi woman
& Funmilayo Kuti represents the Western (yoruba speaking region)

I'd like to hear from Igbos (easternerns) and the Hausa-fulanis (core-northernerns), who are the most influential Igbo & Hausa-fulani women that ever lived??

Margareth Obiasulor-Ekpo was Igbo by birth and Ibibio by Marriage.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 10:07pm On May 08, 2015
genieluv:

My bro, u must not insult to make a point. As u can see, the OP acknowledged Akunyili's influence but the point he made is very valid.
Margaret Ekpo and Funmilayo Kuti started fighting for the rights of women even before Akunyili was born, both women fought for the relevenace of women in the independent Nigeria while Ladi Kwali's works were presented as Objects of National pride at the internationa centre on Independence day to the extent that she graced our naira note.
Haba my Brother let's be fair to ourselves here. Dora is great, i love her and her legacy, but truly she cannot be in same league with these listed women.

Lol
Trust me, you say this because you live in Dora's time
that is why you are not awed by her
The next generation would revere Dora better....
This generation? Maybe not so much
I get it though
Cheers

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nowenuse: 10:10pm On May 08, 2015
PreciousBro:
NCNC is sub group that stemmed from the political party founded by igbos then (correct me if I'm wrong)

she couldn't have spoken English or Efik to the women in that eastern region as Nwafor that she was.

This argument is ridiculous! LoL

They were little or no information about ibibio or efik about her save for the fact she married one and was born in cross-river ,but more of igbo talks and igbo towns.

Smh

End this squirming display of embarrassment. She was more igbo than efik or ibibio. Y'all need to read the article again.

Silly igbo boy
Understand what havennie & IanSweet are trying to explain to u and stop bragging like a slowpoke.
The regional system of government was what made Margaret Ekpo to function more from Aba and igbo areas.

Where were the igbos when Margaret's Efik mother struggled to bring her up?
Where were her igbo people when her ibibio husband helped her to realise her destiny and dream as a political activist?
Where are igbos today when Efik people named their airport in Calabar after their beloved daughter Margaret?
infact u people are supposed to hide ur faces on this thread instead of bragging unnecesarily here. Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 10:11pm On May 08, 2015
Springz:

Lol that's why its not good to be on here 24/7 especially on politics section.

I agree!
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 10:12pm On May 08, 2015
Havenine, please be guided by what is true and not what isn't written. The way you talk one can surmise you are older than the generation X. LoL

Like you are not of this generation, Margaret Ekpo's I guess ?

For you to say all these. First negating her paternity as though that isn't the origin we all know. grin

Please I don't wanna sound harsh again.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 10:15pm On May 08, 2015
somegirl1:

Was any of Hajiya Gambo Wasaba's parents Hausa?

No! Wasaba did not have any single hausa origin.
She's a real nupe woman born and bred by a strong Nupe mother in Nupe land. Bida is her homeland, yet she hardly did anything in Bida because she was fighting for all northern women, so she had to take her battle to the major centres of the old northern region.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by kingsclass: 10:17pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Don't talk like a stupid person. Ekpo always identified as Ibibio and not Igbo. During her period in the Eastern Parliament, she never represented igbo areas but rather Ibibio.
Cross check your facts very well,Margret Ekpo represented Aba.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 10:17pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Silly igbo boy
Understand what havennie & IanSweet are trying to explain to u and stop bragging like a slowpoke.
The regional system of government was what made Margaret Ekpo to function more from Aba and igbo areas.

Where were the igbos when Margaret's Efik mother struggled to bring her up?
Where were her igbo people when her ibibio husband helped her to realise her destiny and dream as a political activist?
Where are igbos today when Efik people named their airport in Calabar after their beloved daughter Margaret?
infact u people are supposed to hide ur faces on this thread instead of bragging unnecesarily here. Nonsense!

You are a dimwitted monkey with the IQ of a sick and oil pregnant toad.

Ooh ,we were in Margaret herself. She represented us very well.

You also fail to see the Nsukka thing abi ?

Useless son of a lost drone you call a father didn't raise you well enough to halt tribalism in your bigoted and shallow thread .if you quote me again I guarantee you this thread will change gear to your internment. Ike-azu

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Solomon Dalung's First Wife Is Dead (Photo) / More Photos As Ex President Buhari Arrives Daura, Katsina State / Saraki Or Tinubu? Who Rocks It Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.