Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,184 members, 7,839,031 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. (30956 Views)

FG Copying Lagos’ Template To Revive Economy –adeosun / Power Crisis: Nigeria Lacks Gas To Generate 7,000MW —osinbajo / We’ll Kill Corruption, Solve Power Problem – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by atlwireles: 12:09pm On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

Right.....you apc folks are so smart you will basically write the book in the field of micro power generation and distribution in no less a place that in developing africa.
The more I think about it I have visions of a nobel price of some such award going to the buhari government for inovation in power infrastructure development in developing countries.

My now obviously inadequate education in engineering lead me to believe that in a hundred and thirty years of reserch , development,management experience and inovation in the field of electrical power generation,transmission and distribution, there is a valid reason that the disteibuted power infrastructure models have be only cousarily examined and discarded repeatedly.

The laws of physics not to mention economics will slap the fantasy illusions from your eyes soon enough all the propagandar defence in the world will not even come close to being enough.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by TonySpike: 12:09pm On May 12, 2015
tabolaji:

You question just further throw light on the problems this country has been facing over the years. Using other countries template to solve our peculiar problems. Not until out scientists and technocrats apply local approach in implementing globally acceptable solutions. Just because no country has done it doesn't necessarily mean we can't explore it if it would work for us. Moreover, some countries that have more stable electricity is even going the route of microgrid to sustain it. Let's stop this 'copy cat' mentality abeg.

You're right! I see Nigeria using the intellects of home-grown and diaspora scientists with time to solve local problems. But the government must show sincerity of purpose for this to happen.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 12:14pm On May 12, 2015
OkutaNla:
Your bad-belle no allow you see the part where aresa stated that OBJ derailed Tinubu's original idea. You people seem to think that everybody else is as clueless as your PDP when it comes to solving this power problem. Smh.

Na you get bad belle plus cluelessness so tey the thing blind you patapata.

Point out where the OP stated that OBJ derailed Tinubu's plan or you should where the tag of LIAR on your neck for at least 24 hours. Deal or No Deal

As for PDP, all those responsible for the darkness we have today, such OBJ & Athief'ku, are now in APC while the agents of LIGHT are with Jonathan in the reformed party that has taken giant strides to restructure the sector and is at the cusp of manifestation and harvest of improved supply & transmission!
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by EMANY01(m): 12:16pm On May 12, 2015
Reference:

But what will power these numerous plants: fuel or gas. Fuel means a cobweb of pipelines, the eldorado of vandals, if it is gas then the risk around residential areas is better imagined. Trucking means gridlock and inefficiency especially when a plant may be drinking a truck an hour. There is a reason modern economies scale up. Efficiency rises with scale. How ever I agree that we can't start seeking efficiency.

This here is why I say the laws of physics and economics not to mention safety issues will knock reality back into their heads.
You do not think we can start seeking efficiency but you would rather have massive trucks hauling pressurised and highly flamable gas all over the roads in the country?
Am I the only one who sees the assuredly inherent disarster of epic proportions in this plan of theirs.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Bayswater: 12:22pm On May 12, 2015
MosquitoREBIRTH:
Abeg, nobody expected him to fix it in 4 yrs. But he would have at least left us with our 4000MW instead of leaving us with a meagre 2800MW...

Stop feigning ignorance like you have not heard the news that it's improved to 7000MW.
In VP Sambo's words, we have 7000MW as at today. I pray Baba One Chance beats that.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by slimfit1(m): 12:25pm On May 12, 2015
This south south people braking pipelines should carry on very soon jobs will not be available in their areas. Don't try it, they will beg us to use the pipelines very soon.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:31pm On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

Do you want to take the dreamers on? Do not question them if you know what is good for you.
I am waiting to see the magic of their power generation plans materializing as evidently they will be "reinventing" the established models of building power generating stations world wide.

https://www.nairaland.com/2306421/how-buhari-solve-naijas-power
Stop being pessimistic. Here in Nigeria, there is a power generating plant along Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway that uses gas in generating power it distributes to the factories in Sango Ota. There is hardly any factory along the road that uses power generator or relies on Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by EMANY01(m): 12:36pm On May 12, 2015
ibisko04:

Simply because you are of the mind that it is not possible thus not means it is not possible..
You wait and see what happens in the power sector soon.
National grids is becoming more of burden than solution to our power problems . Power generation bit by bit is the way to go.
Let power be generated and be distributed bit by bit according to the needs of every locality.

I'd like to see you guys try it will certaily be a repeat of the soviet model of trying to surbodinate science , economics and common sence to political theory.
The results by 2019 will be epic.

NO COUNTRY even a qurter the size of Nigeria has ever SERIOUSLY considered going the route you guys are advocating.
There are real and objective reasons for that.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Collynzo9: 12:38pm On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

This here is why I say the laws of physics and economics not to mention safety issues will knock reality back into their heads.
You do not think we can start seeking efficiency but you would rather have massive trucks hauling pressurised and highly flamable gas all over the roads in the country?
Am I the only one who sees the assuredly inherent disarster of epic proportions in this plan of theirs.
Highly inflammable petroleum products are transported to several parts of the country everyday. Besides, I saw one of those condensed natural gas (CNG) trucks in Aba few weeks back, it is very portable and looks light, unlike your everyday petrol tanker trucks. I don't think it constitutes a problem at all.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by EMANY01(m): 12:40pm On May 12, 2015
slimfit1:
This south south people braking pipelines should carry on very soon jobs will not be available in their areas. Don't try it, they will beg us to use the pipelines very soon.

The trucks carring the gas will originate from where and will run on which roads?
Unless you wil import the gas using the ports.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by 989900: 12:40pm On May 12, 2015
Ironically, very few countries do NOT generate/produce electricity in bits.

And it's high time we start re-resourcing, diversifying, and thinking outside the box about our power problems.

From power generation from tidal waves, gas, coal, to palm oil, everything that it takes to make this 'power' shame go away.

It's a shame if 2,800 MW (the same a tiny country like Singapore in 1971 with a population less than 1m was generating then) is all we can muster.
When countries as tiny as Qatar, generate over 10,000 MW from different means, including IPPs generating excess of 650MW from different locations in the country.

The laws definitely need to be re-written, to facilitate development and progress of our power sector, while not sacrificing security (local and national), environmental safety, and government earnings.[/i]

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by tabolaji: 12:40pm On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:
This has been what Osinbajo has been proposing all these while. To be honest, we Nigerians don't really know the exact issue with power generation and the National grid.

If Nigeria generates anything more that 7,500MW and feeds it to the grid, everything is going to come down as our distribution lines cannot take that much power. We don't not have the facilities so building huge power plants is not the way.

What we can do is to generate the power in bits. As Osinbajo have said, generate power when it will be consumed so we don't spend too much time and money on distribution. Each Local government or LCDA depending on the consumption. Perhaps even a locality can come together to have a 10MW plant for that area and they are good to go.

To keep building huge plants and hoping to connect then to the grid is a waste that has proven to be the way not to go.

With this bit by bit module, each locality can look at what they have and use it to generate power, gas in most places, some can use renewable power especially in the North where there are huge opportunities for wind and solar power.

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.

These bit by bit generation will culminate into something tangible but first we need legislation for it to work as right now, the power generation laws state that if you generate anything greater than 1mw, you have to connect to the grid. This is where policy, plans, entrepreneurship and dedication combination will come into play

God bless you! intellectual piece like this is what made me still keep my nairaland account for almost 10years. Not some toddlers that get free data recharge from their parents to send rubbish comments.

What we don't understand is that some people in government can get incite from forum like this to implement for the benefit of all.

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by ceejay80s(m): 12:40pm On May 12, 2015
OkutaNla:

Your bad-belle no allow you see the part where aresa stated that OBJ derailed Tinubu's original idea. You people seem to think that everybody else is as clueless as your PDP when it comes to solving this power problem. Smh.
I wonder wetin the same obj dey follow buhari up and down , dey infect am with bad suggestions, if this light issue is not solved, APC will not get my vote in 2018
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by ceejay80s(m): 12:44pm On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

Stop feigning ignorance like you have not heard the news that it's improved to 7000MW.
In VP Sambo's words, we have 7000MW as at today. I pray Baba One Chance beats that.
So we get 7000MW ,na him nigeria , togo, ghana and gabon still dey inside darkness, go tell ur pet dog that kind lie

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by TonySpike: 12:49pm On May 12, 2015
EMANY01:

I'd like to see you guys try it will certaily be a repeat of the soviet model of trying to surbodinate science , economics and common sence to political theory.
The results by 2019 will be epic.

NO COUNTRY even a qurter the size of Nigeria has ever SERIOUSLY considered going the route you guys are advocating.
There are real and objective reasons for that.

Bro, I see your opposition to this method is mainly based on the parameters of economics and science. Can you please shed more light on this for my sake? I need some education on your sincere opinion and I'm eager to hear back from you...

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:51pm On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

Wow, double speak but you expected GEJ to fix it in 4 years. Oniyeye.
Nobody is saying Jonathan should fix it. He should permit states that have generated power to distribute it, since distribution is in the exclusive list. It didn't take ex-Governor Peter Odili of Rivers State upto four years to generate power from three gas turbines in Eleme, Trans Amadi (Port-Harcourt) and Omoku.

3 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 12:56pm On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

7000 WHAT?? Guy, u must be talking about Niger... Seems you didn't read the news from the Ministry of power last week. Oga, please don't be deceived, we dey suffer light die!!!

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by carpenter(m): 12:57pm On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits?

USA

In several countries of the world, people produce their own electricity, consume some and sell the rest to the national or local grid.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by dandoki: 12:58pm On May 12, 2015
vanunu:

Can u give an example of just one country that produces electricity in bits?

Uk produces electricity in bits. Thiers may only be in bigger bits than what we are talking about here.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by toseen29: 1:07pm On May 12, 2015
Thank God there will be another perspective at the federal level to this power problem bedeviling us since heaven knows when. A change of direction is needed, more countries are already taking leaps from the effectiveness of microgrids in resolving power problem. Even if new giant power plants are built today we will still be face with transmission as current infrastructure can not wheel expected generation to the users. so microgrids is a better option and less costly.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by freshdude99(m): 1:07pm On May 12, 2015
Mynd44:
This has been what Osinbajo has been proposing all these while. To be honest, we Nigerians don't really know the exact issue with power generation and the National grid.

If Nigeria generates anything more that 7,500MW and feeds it to the grid, everything is going to come down as our distribution lines cannot take that much power. We don't not have the facilities so building huge power plants is not the way.

What we can do is to generate the power in bits. As Osinbajo have said, generate power when it will be consumed so we don't spend too much time and money on distribution. Each Local government or LCDA depending on the consumption. Perhaps even a locality can come together to have a 10MW plant for that area and they are good to go.

To keep building huge plants and hoping to connect then to the grid is a waste that has proven to be the way not to go.

With this bit by bit module, each locality can look at what they have and use it to generate power, gas in most places, some can use renewable power especially in the North where there are huge opportunities for wind and solar power.

In the south, I will like to see a Badagry power plant Ltd. that wants to harness the Atlantic ocean through tidal power. At least the beaches there have not been tamed like the ones on Lagos Island so it is possible.

These bit by bit generation will culminate into something tangible but first we need legislation for it to work as right now, the power generation laws state that if you generate anything greater than 1mw, you have to connect to the grid. This is where policy, plans, entrepreneurship and dedication combination will come into play
Nice write up but the truth is that neither Lagos or Osinabade has been at the helm of these clamor all the years by. Professor Bath Nnaji proposed it first, went ahead to build one in Aba (geometric power) but politics no let Nigeria allow am work. Instead they came up with all sort of blackmail and relieved him of his job. Now Osinbade is claiming the glory while Lagos is supposedly leading the way
I smh for all you south westerners
One Nigeria we believe
Say no to tribalism and ethnic sentiments

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:10pm On May 12, 2015
anonimi:

Na you get bad belle plus cluelessness so tey the thing blind you patapata.

Point out where the OP stated that OBJ derailed Tinubu's plan or you should where the tag of LIAR on your neck for at least 24 hours. Deal or No Deal

As for PDP, all those responsible for the darkness we have today, such OBJ & Athief'ku, are now in APC while the agents of LIGHT are with Jonathan in the reformed party that has taken giant strides to restructure the sector and is at the cusp of manifestation and harvest of improved supply & transmission!
Na u sell APC membership form for Obasanjo?

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by gists: 1:11pm On May 12, 2015
carpenter:

USA

In several countries of the world, people produce their own electricity, consume some and sell the rest to the national or local grid.

So what is the primary supply to these national and local grid?
Selling back to the grid is done by individuals in US - I'm not sure about locality selling back to the grid.
How many individuals in Nigeria can generate enough for himself and still have enough to sell to the grid.
Decentralization is good and it is the way to go in my opinion. But going too deep is unrealistic, wasteful and unsustainable.
I think the discos have covered nigeria and if the decentralization is done on that basis we should be fine. Don't ask alimosho local gov. generate and then mushin also to generate. We will have 774 generating station do we has space for that? Will these be optimally utilized? I think we should just do the decentralization at the state level or at the DISCO level.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by anonimi: 1:12pm On May 12, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Na u sell APC membership form for Obasanjo?

Nor be you, as you bin dey there when im dey tear im PDP card abi e don reach to dey deny the old man again ni? grin grin
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by EMANY01(m): 1:13pm On May 12, 2015
Collynzo9:
Highly inflammable petroleum products are transported to several parts of the country everyday. Besides, I saw one of those condensed natural gas (CNG) trucks in Aba few weeks back, it is very portable and looks light, unlike your everyday petrol tanker trucks. I don't think it constitutes a problem at all.

If you are mathemathically oriented and know probabilities not to mention human attitudes, consider and then define the functional relationships between the interacting variables :a,b,x,yt and qt
Where
a=increased number of micro power stations
b =corresponding increase in number on trucks required to transport the gas to the micro stations
x= weighted factor of the increase in geographical distance and spread between the micro stations and the gas source
yt=weighted factor of ( the reduction) of human safety effectiveness over time giving with the attendant geometrical increase in the number of trucks on the roads all over nigeria
qt=probability of a major incident involving any number of the now thousands of trucks on the road being hazardous to life.

If you are half as smart as you believe you are (I MAKE NO JUDGEMENTS ON YOUR INTELLIGIENCE OR LACK OF IT MIND YOU) , all sorts of alarm bells would be ringing in your head by now.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:13pm On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

Lies. We have 5000MW. According to the Minister of Power, the MW has dropped to below 3000.

1 Like

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Bayswater: 1:22pm On May 12, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Lies. We have 5000MW. According to the Minister of Power, the MW has dropped to below 3000.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/power-generation-capacity-hits-6000mw-says-sambo/

6000MW
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Bayswater: 1:23pm On May 12, 2015
MosquitoREBIRTH:
7000 WHAT?? Guy, u must be talking about Niger... Seems you didn't read the news from the Ministry of power last week. Oga, please don't be deceived, we dey suffer light die!!!

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/power-generation-capacity-hits-6000mw-says-sambo/

6000MW. This news is from one of Tinubu's pepper-selling newspapers, you know.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by Bayswater: 1:24pm On May 12, 2015
ceejay80s:

So we get 7000MW ,na him nigeria , togo, ghana and gabon still dey inside darkness, go tell ur pet dog that kind lie

na recent news I dey give you so.
Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:25pm On May 12, 2015
Bayswater:

6000MW
That Sambo said it makes it the truth? Last week the Minister of Power said the MW has dropped to 2800.

2 Likes

Re: BUHARI GOVT: Eyeing Lagos Template To Solve Power Crisis. by adconline(m): 1:26pm On May 12, 2015
ENRON that went bankrupt with LASG money??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

God Will Never Forgive Oshiomhole; Man Laments After Failed Edo Project. Photos / Donatus Nwankpa Reacts To Orji Uzor Kalu's Conviction / Yemisi Haleemat Busari Reacts To Her Appointment As Jimi Agbaje Running Mate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.