Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 - Travel (284) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 (707899 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorbital:

Bro, just let me know in case you decide to cancel and reschedule... I have been so dying to get a date earlier than 18th August....that way, you know where your "lose" entered.... Your brother's pocket, huh?
Would be a win-win for all of us... I can pay back in another form kiss
men no get joy!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by warriboy21(m): 8:18pm On Jul 29, 2015
briefty:
@bigfrancis, Thanks so much for your support, am highly indebted to you. Please how do i get to book on Emirates, most of their flight prices are on the high sides, or is there any other ways i can get to book ?

go to emirates dot com...make sure u u wait till around 2am...d prices do flunctuate...
i booked mine yesterday around 1.30am.for $927.30,,n it was around $1300...at 11pm...
i didnt pay via master card..i payed tru ist bank today using 200naira rate..making it around 185k..n i got my ticket in 2hrs wink.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Chemical2(m): 8:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
sirRiddy:
Thanks zee and Francis.
Please do you know how to go about the CPT?
I heard it is quite competitive to secure summer internships
as it is mostly students in highly ranked programs that recruiters want.
Also, what steps do you advise one to take in order to secure such positions?
Lastly, how valuable is this towards getting a company to file for you after schooling?
PS:Any online resources that you know of would be highly appreciated.

Yes, CPT is very competitive. It is not a department thing as someone said. You have an edge if you are in a STEM graduate program and as far as i know if you get an internship with a company and meet all the requirement your school is mandated to process your CPT even if it not not necessary for your course. I am currently on CPT against the wish of my advisor who wants to keep me in the lab 24/7. The company i work for (Biopharm) sponsors H1B then GC. Internships is one of the surest way to obtain your GC as the company greatly saves by employing their interns after graduation.

Do not be discouraged. I applied to more than 15 companies. I did phone screen with about 5 of them. The problem is when you would be asked if you are authorized to work in the US. I'd advice you say "Yes" at this point. Saying no is automatic disqualification for most companies, afterall CPT is a temporary authorization.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Stewee(m): 8:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorbital:

Bro, just let me know in case you decide to cancel and reschedule... I have been so dying to get a date earlier than 18th August....that way, you know where your "lose" entered.... Your brother's pocket, huh?

Was that a kiss?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by zeezahbee(f): 8:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
Chemical2:

Yes, CPT is very competitive. It is not a department thing as someone said. You have an edge if you are in a STEM graduate program and as far as i know is you get an internship with a company and meet all the requirement your school is mandated to process your CPT [i][/i]even if it not not necessary for your course. I am currently on CPT against the wish of my advisor who wants to keep me in the lab 24/7. The company i work for (Biopharm) sponsors H1B then GC. Internships is one of the surest way to obtain your GC as the company greatly saves by employing their interns after graduation.

Do not be discouraged. I applied to more than 15 companies. I did phone screen with about 5 of them. The problem is when you would be asked if you are authorized to work in the US. I'd advice you say "Yes" at this point. Saying no is automatic disqualification for most companies, afterall CPT is a temporary authorization.
The department thing i said is that (check the bold). I said CPT has to be approved by department and I even said I was posted for my CPT through the help of my school. Is that hard to umderstand

Some school actually help post student for CPT in companies or hospitals and they can also ask you to do your CPT in school(which you also said your advisor wanted you to do )

I also noted that once I start my CPT, I will make sure I network so I can also get a placement for my OPt at the same hospital

Hospital rarely file for my own profession ( H visa is actualky goof for those in STEM ) so it's either I write licensing exam or I go the marriage route.

The latter is much better
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
Stewee:

Was that a kiss?
Salivating
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Between Chicago and Texas(Dallas which is the easier/closer POE for someone heading to Murfreesboro, Tennessee...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by biikeys(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Can one land a job using CPT? Because then the student is still in school and is not expected to be working while in school. A few students are lucky to obtain job offers on completion of their 3-month internship or CPT period but their start date is usually after their last semester of graduation, then during which the student can start on OPT while the company sorts out their H1B visa sponsorship. Because basically, you cannot go on CPT after you've graduated, only when you're still in school.

I don't think CPT is a valid work authorization permit for international students. OPT is.

CPT is a 'valid work authorization permit'; just for a limited time(usually you can take up to 2 semesters for CPT full time, and more if you're doing pre-OPT). Now, when you're on CPT, you still have to be enrolled full-time;only that this time it's your job that is counting as credits. In fact it shows up on your transcript, and you're graded for it (Pass/Fail). The grading is done when after you're done, you write a report on what you did. Schools have their different policies regarding how long you can go on CPT however, but yes you can work 40 hours a week!

A lot of employers in Engineering typically like to have you back after your CPT term is exhausted; if you leave a good impression and they are not having issues themselves forcing them to downsize.
It's always a very good idea to get a really good employer, and to start searching as early as the end of your first semester because of recruiting calendars.

In some cases, you can transition to OPT from CPT, if you take classes-say online while on CPT.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by zeezahbee(f): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorbital:
Between Chicago and Texas(Dallas which is the easier/closer POE for someone heading to Murfreesboro, Tennessee...
Chicago
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by briefty(f): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
warriboy21:

go to emirates dot com...make sure u u wait till around 2am...d prices do flunctuate...
i booked mine yesterday around 1.30am.for $927.30,,n it was around $1300...at 11pm...
i didnt pay via master card..i payed tru ist bank today using 200naira rate..making it around 185k..n i got my ticket in 2hrs wink.
Thanks so much, i will be ending to Detroit, all i kept seeing online was 4000dollars plus, can you kindly assist me in checking for the range of prices from Lagos to Detroit? I just don't know why am not able to get any low ticket?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by zeezahbee(f): 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2015
briefty:
Thanks so much, i will be ending to Detroit, all i kept seeing online was 4000dollars plus, can you kindly assist me in checking for the range of prices from Lagos to Detroit? I just don't know why am not able to get any low ticket?
Go to Wego.com

Make sure your travel date is in Tuesday-Thursday
. You can check for return ticket. It could be cheap

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by zeezahbee(f): 9:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
biikeys:

CPT is a 'valid work authorization permit'; just for a limited time(usually you can take up to 2 semesters for CPT full time, and more if you're doing pre-OPT). Now, when you're on CPT, you still have to be enrolled full-time;only that this time it's your job that is counting as credits. In fact it shows up on your transcript, and you're graded for it (Pass/Fail). The grading is done when after you're done, you write a report on what you did. Schools have their different policies regarding how long you can go on CPT however, but yes you can work 40 hours a week!

A lot of employers in Engineering typically like to have you back after your CPT term is exhausted; if you leave a good impression and they are not having issues themselves forcing them to downsize.
It's always a very good idea to get a really good employer, and to start searching as early as the end of your first semester because of recruiting calendars.

In some cases, you can transition to OPT from CPT, if you take classes-say online while on CPT.
That was a good explanation. Same way I said it. CPT is more like IT that we do in Nigeria

No all courses require or approve CPT. It also depends on the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by briefty(f): 9:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
kellycute:
@briefty congrat but you need to post your transcript for everyone to learn from it too. You learnt from other people transcripts so you gotta have to do the needful you know what I'm saying?.
Thanks sis, i will surely do that, am presently using my phone to type it wont be convenient for me to type a complete transcript using my phone, when i get home will surely do that . I don't want to be using 'blah blah blah' to end my sentences.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 29, 2015
mbeenox:

Very cool, but the war front they scare me, chai good thing no easy. Na to go hide when fight come, come dey claim survivor after fight done finish grin
Hehehe and you want citizenship?

Don't you know fighting in a war makes you a hero? grin And your family will benefit a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by briefty(f): 9:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
zeezahbee:
Go to Wego.com

Make sure your travel date is in Tuesday-Thursday
. You can check for return ticket. It could be cheap
Thanks sis.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 9:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorbital:

Miami might be a good option for someone going to Tennessee. Less time spent travelling
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by OjaP: 9:12pm On Jul 29, 2015
Chemical2:

Yes, CPT is very competitive. It is not a department thing as someone said. You have an edge if you are in a STEM graduate program and as far as i know if you get an internship with a company and meet all the requirement your school is mandated to process your CPT even if it not not necessary for your course. I am currently on CPT against the wish of my advisor who wants to keep me in the lab 24/7. The company i work for (Biopharm) sponsors H1B then GC. Internships is one of the surest way to obtain your GC as the company greatly saves by employing their interns after graduation.

Very correct.

After tens of denials from top oil firms due to my ignorance, I learned my lesson. Whenever they ask if I was authorized to work as an international student, I always said NO, and what always followed was rejection emails.

So I did a little research about CPT. I found out that I can actually work, get a work authorization on my I-20 and use that as my work permit. So, the next opportunity came, I was asked if I had a work permit. I boldly said YES. A week later, I was offered the job.

The company told me they use E-Verify, so I knew I couldn't come up with any silly excuse. So I told them to give me a month to resume, they agreed. I went to my international officer, I told her I needed my I-20 to be authorized for CPT. She said I can't since my major didn't require an internship. I went to go talk to my professor, he refused saying they can't create an internship class for me since they had never done that before. I didn't say anything. I'd done my home work before then. I told him I would get back the following day.

I already knew what I was going to face. So I'd carried out an extensive research. I had my school and department catalogues dated back to 1970. Therein, I found out that there was an internship class for most STEM majors. You can register for a 1-5 units internship class any semester you want and get a CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADE. I guess no one had used it before in my department hence my professor's ignorance and refusal.

The following day, I went to his office, showed him the catalogue, and told him I wanted to register for the class. He had no choice, he registered me and apologized that he didn't know that I could actually take an internship class. So I let him write me a letter saying that the internship class was part of my curriculum and would make me gain real life experience. I submitted that to the international student officer and she generated a new I-20 with a CPT work authorization which showed my start and end date, number of hours, including the company's name. So I called the company and told them I needed to register for an internship class and that I had no money to pay for tuition. I got them to pay for my tuition.

I knew E-Verify doesn't recognize CPT work authorization at the first check, so I told the HR folks that I would be rejected by E-Verify but should do a secondary check after that. They did that and the check was positive. I started working and even had to extend my end date like twice because I claimed I wasn't done with CPT. My internship grade in school was RP (I discussed this with my prof.). After I used all my life lines, I registered again for another internship class for another semester (I claimed part time on my I-20) but was working full time. I told my company to only pay me half time while the remaining half should be counted volunteer. They agreed but got compensated for the other half in another way that I will like not to mention here.

To cut the long story short, I am still with the company today. And whenever I look back at how I worked my way into getting the CPT approval and taking some bold steps in 2012, I just smile and thank God.

I hope this helps someone out there.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by match2016: 9:14pm On Jul 29, 2015
Hi House,

I also need help.
I have been looking for affordable flights to Texas and it looks like Ethiopian is the cheapest I have gotten, Like 297k one way to Houston.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I[b]s it safe to travel Ethiopian on a one way without been stopped or unduly questioned?[/b] I also saw air maroc but 41hours flight is somehow too much.
Please if anyone knows how to get more affordable flights, I will appreciate it.
Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by warriboy21(m): 9:15pm On Jul 29, 2015
briefty:

4000 wat shocked...anyways wat date do u intend traveling lemme chk for u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by match2016: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
Maybe fly to Atlanta and take a greyhound bus to Tennesse, likely to be cheaper. And greyhound departs from the airport in Atlanta.
bbdd:

Miami might be a good option for someone going to Tennessee. Less time spent travelling

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
OjaP
You are an avid researcher.
What an amazing story.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by bbdd: 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
match2016:
Maybe fly to Atlanta and take a greyhound bus to Tennesse, likely to be cheaper. And greyhound departs from the airport in Atlanta.

That could work too. Atlanta is even closer.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by warriboy21(m): 9:19pm On Jul 29, 2015
OjaP:

Very correct.

After tens of denials from top oil firms due to my ignorance, I learned my lesson. Whenever they ask if I was authorized to work as an international student, I always said NO, and what always followed was rejection emails.

So I did a little research about CPT. I found out that I can actually work, get a work authorization on my I-20 and use that as my work permit. So, the next opportunity came, I was asked if I had a work permit. I boldly said YES. A week later, I was offered the job.

The company told me they use E-Verify, so I knew I can't come up with any silly excuse. So I told them to give me a month to resume, they agreed. I went to my international officer, I told her I needed my I-20 to be authorized for CPT. She said I can't since my major didn't require an internship. I went to go talk to my professor, he refused saying they can't create an internship class for me since they had never done that before. I didn't say anything. I'd done my home work before then. I told him I would get back the following day.

I already knew what I was going to face. So I'd carried out an extensive research. I had my school and department catalogues dated back to 1970. Therein, I found out that there was an internship class for most STEM majors. You can register for a 1-5 units internship class any semester you want and get a CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADE. I guess no one had used it before in my department hence my professor's ignorance and refusal.

The following day, I went to his office, showed him the catalogue, and told him I wanted to register for the class. He had no choice, he registered me and apologized that he didn't know that I could actually take an internship class. So I let him write me a letter saying that the internship class was part of my curriculum and would make me gain real life experience. I submitted that to the international student officer and she generated a new I-20 with a CPT work authorization which showed my start and end date, number of hours, including the company's name. So I called the company and told them I needed to register for an internship class and that I had no money to pay for tuition. I got them to pay for my tuition.

I knew E-Verify doesn't recognize CPT work authorization at the first check, so I told the HR folks that I would be rejected by E-Verify but should do a secondary check after that. They did that and the check was positive. I started working and even had to extend my end date like twice because I claimed I wasn't done with CPT. My internship grade in school was RP (I discussed this with my prof.). After I used all my life lines, I registered again for another internship class for another semester (I claimed part time on my I-20) but was working full time. I told my company to only pay me half time while the remaining half should be counted volunteer. They agreed but got compensated for the other half in another way that I will like not to mention here.

To cut the long story short, I am still with the company today. And whenever I look back at how I worked my way into getting the CPT approval and taking some bold steps in 2012, I just smile and thank God.

hmm nawa o..all dis big big gramma wen una de speak so..nawa o embarassed.al dis .CPT OPT.PDP HIGH BP APC........hope we go understand dem wen we reach der o embarassed

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by happney65: 9:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
DeeTus:
Hahahahahaha. People are talking about how to survive but you're busy talking about something else. Isn't that funny?

grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by kellycute(m): 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2015
briefty:
Thanks sis, i will surely do that, am presently using my phone to type it wont be convenient for me to type a complete transcript using my phone, when i get home will surely do that . I don't want to be using 'blah blah blah' to end my sentences.
okay. But I'm not sis, I'm a dude. Congrat again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by mbeenox: 9:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
match2016:
Hi House,

I also need help.
I have been looking for affordable flights to Texas and it looks like Ethiopian is the cheapest I have gotten, Like 297k one way to Houston.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I[b]s it safe to travel Ethiopian on a one way without been stopped or unduly questioned?[/b] I also saw air maroc but 41hours flight is somehow too much.
Please if anyone knows how to get more affordable flights, I will appreciate it.
Thank you
Try Emirates. Com check if u can still find a flight for ur date
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by mbeenox: 9:30pm On Jul 29, 2015
OjaP:

Very correct.

The company told me they use E-Verify, so I knew I couldn't come up with any silly excuse. So I told them to give me a month to resume, they agreed. I went to my international officer, I told her I needed my I-20 to be authorized for CPT. She said I can't since my major didn't require an internship. I went to go talk to my professor, he refused saying they can't create an internship class for me since they had never done that before. I didn't say anything. I'd done my home work before then. I told him I would get back the following day.

Guy u re a super Hero o, it gonna be hard following ur steps, such perseverance....Mehn baba Twale
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by mbeenox: 9:34pm On Jul 29, 2015
DeeTus:
Hehehe and you want citizenship?

Don't you know fighting in a war makes you a hero? grin And your family will benefit a lot.

If person no come survive nko,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by BloodyMitch(f): 9:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
HI warriboy pls could you help me chexk for syracuse on the 13th of August 1 way or return on emirates ,please?
warriboy21:

4000 wat shocked...anyways wat date do u intend traveling lemme chk for u
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by warriboy21(m): 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
BloodyMitch:
HI warriboy pls could you help me chexk for syracuse on the 13th of August 1 way or return on emirates ,please?
weres ur point of entry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by finestcash: 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
Pls nairalander. For y did u choose a course? Can I say I choose d course because of its vast field of study with great potential and rewarding careers relevants to industries in my country.what do u think my brodas..pls advise me I wan share testimony like una
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 by meritdee(m): 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorbital:

lol, Don't even bother tongue

(1) (2) (3) ... (281) (282) (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) ... (402)

GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD*** / General Australian Visa Enquiries / North Cyprus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.