Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,588 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:18 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248157 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:03am On Oct 10, 2015
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Nigeria
Chelsea star Mikel earns Oliseh praise
[/size]

Mikel - Impressed coach Oliseh against DRC
Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh has praised Mikel Obi for the pivotal role he played in the team's friendly against DR Congo Thursday.
The 2-0 loss to DRC was Mikel's first game under Sunday Oliseh.
Oliseh said he was really impressed with Mikel's commanding display as he carried the team well.
"Mikel played very well and I am impressed with his performance in the game,” remarked the Eagles coach.
“He carried the team well and dictated the pace. He was mobile and did what I asked him to do, leading others and telling them what to do, that's what is expected of him. It's been long I saw him play that way, I hope this continues."

africanfootball.com/news/574805/Chelsea-star-Mikel-earns-Oliseh-praise

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:04am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
Oliseh: 'I saw a very good team'
[/size]

Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh
Nigeria coach Sunday Oliseh has insisted that even though his team lost 2-0 to DR Congo, he saw “a very good team”.
Two first-half goals by DRC in Vise, Belgium, on Thursday night handed Oliseh his first loss in three matches as Super Eagles boss.
However, the coach said he had to play a makeshift team following a visa hitch that caused Turkey-based defender Godfrey Oboabona and six players from the domestic league not to join the squad in Belgium in time.
“We played a makeshift team and we are trying to rebuild. I saw a very good team, we had more possession even though there were shortcomings in certain areas,” reasoned Oliseh.
“We lost but (Alexander) Iwobi came in and showed some good signs, Shehu (Abdullahi) and some other players made their debut.
“It has been very difficult for us working here.
“Our aim is to try to qualify for the (2017) Nations Cup.”
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/574689/Oliseh-I-saw-a-very-good-team-
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:08am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Forget Enyeama, get a capable replacement - Onigbinde
[/size]

The seasoned football technocrat has tasked the football house to discover more goalkeeping talents who will stand the test of time for the Super Eagles
By Shina Oludare
As Nigerians continue to react to Vincent Enyeama's retirement, Chief Adegboye Onigbinde has called on the Nigeria Football Federation to comb the country towards finding quality goalkeeping talents.
The 32-year-old pulled the curtain on his international career, 13 years after making his debut for the Super Eagles.
According to the Onigbinde who discovered him and later took him to the 2002 Fifa World Cup where his awe-inspiring displays earned him the no.1 jersey, Enyeama stands out among his peers and has served the country very well.
“Enyeama is a grown up man and if he feels he has had enough, we should congratulate him for the services he has rendered and wish him all the best,” Onigbinde toldGoal.
“When I started recruiting for the Super Eagles for the 2002 Fifa World Cup, I went to watch a game between Enyimba and Julius Berger in Abeokuta, he stood that in the game and I invited for to the Super Eagles.
“There were some good goalkeepers’ qualities that I saw in him with most in the Nigerian league do not have, so I made up my mind that he was going to be in my team.”
With fingers pointing at coach Sunday Oliseh who has been held responsible for the former Enyimba’s decision, Onigbinde said Nigeria should stop crying over spilt milk, rather the NFF should start hunting for better goalkeepers for the senior national team.
“The incident in Belgium wasn’t Enyeama first trouble with the national team, and I guess this time around, there are some certain things he does not like about the national team set up and decided to quit. If that is the case, I think he has made the right decision,” he continued.
“This is not the time to lament his retirement, instead we should look for how we can look for his replacement and that depends on the NFF.
“We don’t have a well-structured football developmental programme in Nigeria, and this gets me angry. If we had one, we wouldn’t have been wailing over one player’s retirement.
“And should we not get things right by developing football from the grassroots, we will have cases in the future where you will see one player holding the country to ransom.
“This could have been a white goose chase if I never tried it. Between 1984-85 when I was national team coach, there was no single foreigner in my team and we won the silver medal at the 1984 Africa Cup of Nations in Cote d’Ivoire.
"In 2002, I started from home and that was what brought players like him, [Femi] Opabunmi, [Peter] Odemwingie and even [Joseph] Yobo. That should be the approach of the NFF now to get a better replacement that would stand the test of time,” he concluded.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/10/09/16172662/forget-enyeama-get-a-capable-replacement-onigbinde

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by ayusco: 10:08am On Oct 10, 2015
Hey guys great to be here to comment again after so long a time. First of shout out to the OP of this thread and other contributors like Aig17, goke, safarigirl et al special mention to supernerd for his insightful analysis full of wisdom beyond his years keep it up dude!

Now to the issues at hand first the oliseh/enyeama brouhaha supernerd has adequately addressed the issue which I agree with 100% but let me add a slight carveat as much as I blame oliseh for failing to handle the situation we should not be naïve or oblivious to the behaviour of these are senior national team players. Most of them cannot try 10% of what they do in the super eagles with their clubs cos they know that their clubs will call them out on any bullshit they display. While the few ones that do (osaze-westbrom, funny enough oliseh-Dortmund, emenike-fenerbarche etc) get the book thrown at them.

On the Drc match yes it was a dissapointment but analysing the game critically possession was a bit better fluidity too but a combination of lack of quality and execution in defence and wide positions cost us. Plus let's not be too dismissive of the drc's performance they are a talented team on their day. Remember they beat CIV at home in the afcon qualifiers last year and came 3rd in this years afcon. Going forward I havnt yet lost faith in oliseh but he should realise that time is running out

Like supernerd would write God bless Nigeria and the Super Eagles

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:18am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Moses: West Ham Attack As Good As Chelsea’s, Liverpool’s
[/size]

Super Eagles and West Ham winger Victor Moses has described club’s attacking resources as ‘unbelievable’ despite having played alongside some of the Premier League’s best at Chelsea and Liverpool.
The 2013 Africa Cup of Nations-winning star moved to Upton Park on a season-long loan from London rivals Chelsea on transfer deadline day.
Moses has played alongside the likes of Eden Hazard and Luis Suarez but insists his new team-mates more than compare.
“The quality of the players we have got in the forward line are definitely going to help us,” Moses told West Ham’s official website.
“Sakho will get us goals and Payet and Lanzini are quality. If you look at the quality they have it is unbelievable and they are good lads as well.
“Diafra holds the ball well for us and lets us do our runs. We are enjoying our football at the moment and I think I have got goals in me, as well as setting up chances as well.
“We just want to keep working hard together as a team and keep scoring goals.”
Moses has struggled to make a name for himself at Stamford Bridge since arriving in west London from Wigan for £9 million.
The former Crystal Palace man has had spells on loan with both Liverpool and Stoke and is keen on putting all his attentions into his performances at West Ham.
“I want to let my football do the talking,'”he added.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/moses-west-ham-attack-as-good-as-chelseas-liverpools/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:19am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ugbade: Oliseh, Enyeama Clash Could Tear Eagles Apart
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Former Nigeria international, Nduka Ugbade, has stated that the rift between Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh and goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama could cause division in the team.
Enyeama and Oliseh clashed in Belgium on Tuesday night but the Lille keeper escaped being thrown out of the team's Verviers Hotel camp following the intervention of Nigeria Football Federation president, Amaju Pinick, and senior players in the team.
In a chat with comple tesportsnigeria.com, Ugbade, who is a former team-mate of Oliseh in the Eagles, said: "Whenever there is rift between players, it will affect the team negatively.
"And whenever there is a rift between a player and a coach, it affects the player negatively, it will impact on the player's performance. But no matter what, the coach will always think of what is best for him as regards the team."
The former Flying Eagles assistant coach also pointed out that there is not much the NFF can do especially when key decisions about the team rest squarely on the coach.
"There is no role the NFF can play when the coach has absolute authority to make decisions. The best they can do is just try to know the heart of the coach," Ugbade told comple tesportsnigeria.com.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ugbade-oliseh-enyeama-clash-could-tears-eagles-apart/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:20am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria Vs Cameroon: Talk Big & Win Super Eagles’ Jersey
[/size]
[img]http://www.MallforAfrica.com[/img]
The Super Eagles of Nigeria will on Sunday, 11 October 2015 play against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon in an international friendly match.
The game will be played at the Edmond Machtens Stadium, Brussels, ‎Belgium.
Nigeria and Cameroon have a history of rivalry between them, especially at the Africa Cup of Nations.
This Sunday's clash, however, is a friendly, although one both countries are taking seriously.
The Super Eagles camp in Belgium was agog ahead of their first friendly game of this week – Vs Congo, and Sunday's match against Cameroon, but a widely publicised row between the coach Sunday Oliseh and goalkeeper has seemingly cooled the morale in the fold. Oliseh has named Ahmed Musa as the new Super Eagles captain, replacing Vincent Enyeama. Are the Super Eagles really raring to go against Cameroon in the midst of this kind of atmosphere? What is your say on this?
What are your thoughts generally on the the Sunday's match against Cameroon? What's your scoreline prediction?

Which players from the Eagles and Lions team do you think will be key to their respective side's performance in this highly anticipated match?
In each edition of this exercise, Comple tesportsnigeria.com’s in-house judges’ decisions are final.
We are looking for outstanding posts based on the originality of content, uniqueness of opinion/verdict from a fan’s point of view.
A correct prediction of the big match’s scoreline could also increase a post’s chances of being selected.
Each of the two top winners selected will win two Super Eagles jerseys. Another two readers will receive one Super Eagles face-cap each, as consolation prizes.
Write at least one full paragraph comment (preview) on this match through the "Leave A Reply" field at the bottom of this page. Enter your authentic email address in the required field before posting your comment/preview.
Don’t copy and paste online stories/articles here as that will not be approved for winners’ selection.Write your full names and location at the bottom of your comment/preview (eg: Sefiyah Mariam Somadina, Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State)
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigeria-vs-cameroon-talk-big-win-super-eagles-jersey/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:23am On Oct 10, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ighalo: Oliseh, Enyeama Clash Affected Eagles Against DR Congo
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Watford forward Odion Ighalo has admitted that ‎the Eagles were not at their best in Thursday's international friendly loss to DR Congo.
Goals from Dieumerci Mbokani and Jordan Nkololo handed the Super Eagles a 2-0 loss, their first defeat under coach Sunday Oliseh after three games.
The defeat came hours after former skipper Vincent ‎Enyeama stormed out of the Eagles camp and quit the team.
Ighalo who made his first start under Oliseh told Comple tesportsnigeria.com the team was badly affected by the upheaval in camp.
"It was a bad game‎ but we have to move on," Ighalo said.
"The crisis affected the team but we have to move on from it.
"But we must psyche ourselves up for the game against Cameroun."

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-oliseh-enyeama-clash-affected-eagles-against-dr-congo/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:44am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Babayaro: Oliseh is confused
[/size]
Former Nigeria International goalkeeper Emmanuel Babayaro has said Super Eagles head coach Sunday Oliseh is at a loss over the best way to handle the Super Eagles.
Speaking after the team’s 2-0 loss to Congo DR in a friendly game played in Belgium, Babayaro blamed the coach’s starting lineup and substitutions.
“Oliseh is confused,his starting lineup is proof that right now he doesn’t know what he’s doing” Babayaro toldNews24.
“A coach, who has a central defender like Efe Ambrose and chooses to play Leon Balogun a right back as a central defender is confused.
“Shehu Abdullahi didn’t do badly as a right back but still Ambrose is in the team and from that same spot he was untouchable in the team for four years,why is he on the bench?”
He called on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to ensure Oliseh stays in Nigeria and watch the local lads himself, as those presently being called up by the coaches in charge are not the best legs in the local league.
The newly appointed Super Eagles coach lost his first game against Congo DR and has so far won just one in the three games he has managed the Eagles, being the 2-0 win over Niger Republic in a friendly.
Nigeria under Oliseh will play Cameroun next on Sunday in Brussels, in another friendly game in preparation for AFCON 2017 and World cup 2018 qualifiers.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/babayaro-oliseh-is-confused/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:52am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh must learn man-management-Amokachi
[/size]
Former Super Eagles assistant coach, Daniel Amokachi has advised Sunday Oliseh to learn the art of man-management if he is to succeed as the Super Eagles coach.
Oliseh has been embroiled in a controversy over the captaincy of the team with now retired Vincent Enyeama, a development which has put the Nigeria coach under the microscope.
And Amokachi, who was teammates with Oliseh in the Super Eagles in the 90s and has also served as assistant coach at various times, said it is important for coaches to understand how to manage their players.
“Man-management is very important when it comes to football,” Amokachi begins.
“You work with people and as the head of the team, you work with about 36 people; not just the players, but the backroom staff.
“You have to be in-tune with them and find out how the team is going. If a coach doesn’t have that, he will struggle. Some coaches have it, but forget it at the slightest moment.
“It is the same problem Jose Mourinho is having with Chelsea. If you have a team and the players are loyal to you, and then you suddenly change, it will hit you hard.
“And for Nigeria, Sunday Oliseh and his boys have probably not come to that, but there should be some respect between them. There has to be mutual respect between the players and the coach.”
Amokachi went further to state how working with several other coaches has helped him understand how to manage players.
“I’ve worked with Austin Eguavoen, with Amodu Shuaibu, Stephen Keshi, Berti Vogts and Lars Largerback and I have learnt a lot.
“I can be hot-tempered but over these last years, I have learnt and I think Oliseh should have gone through that part because if he doesn’t, it might end up causing some problems,” Amokachi added.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/oliseh-must-learn-man-management-amokachi/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 11:07am On Oct 10, 2015
ayusco:
Hey guys great to be here to comment again after so long a time. First of shout out to the OP of this thread and other contributors like Aig17, goke, safarigirl et al special mention to supernerd for his insightful analysis full of wisdom beyond his years keep it up dude!

Now to the issues at hand first the oliseh/enyeama brouhaha supernerd has adequately addressed the issue which I agree with 100% but let me add a slight carveat as much as I blame oliseh for failing to handle the situation we should not be naïve or oblivious to the behaviour of these are senior national team players. Most of them cannot try 10% of what they do in the super eagles with their clubs cos they know that their clubs will call them out on any bullshit they display. While the few ones that do (osaze-westbrom, funny enough oliseh-Dortmund, emenike-fenerbarche etc) get the book thrown at them.

On the Drc match yes it was a dissapointment but analysing the game critically possession was a bit better fluidity too but a combination of lack of quality and execution in defence and wide positions cost us. Plus let's not be too dismissive of the drc's performance they are a talented team on their day. Remember they beat CIV at home in the afcon qualifiers last year and came 3rd in this years afcon. Going forward I havnt yet lost faith in oliseh but he should realise that time is running out

Like supernerd would write God bless Nigeria and the Super Eagles
Good to have u here sir.-though haven't come across your moniker... But ur profile shows that u belong to d pioneering set of nairalanders.
Sir. Nerd, others n u have done justice to t all.
Let's just wait with our hands crossed as event unfold tself.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:07am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Mba, Nigerian referees on FIFA duty
[/size]
FIFA Referees assessor and Consultant to the NFF on Refereeing Matters, Linus Mba is off to Namibia where on Tuesday , he will assess the Botswana referees appointed by FIFFA to handle the World Cup qualifying match between Namibia and Gambia.
Also on FIFA assignment are two sets of Nigerian referees.
Referee Ferdinand Udoh will lead compatriots Peter Edibi, Tope Orowole and Benjamin Odey to officiate the Russia World Cup qualifier between Guinea Bissau and Liberia scheduled for next week Tuesday in Guinea Bissau.
The women are not left out. The coup induced postponed Women World Cup U-20 encounter between Burkina Faso and Ethiopia will now hold this weekend and Uluoma Nwogu, Hulda Nkwocha, Mimise Agatha Iyorhe and Folusho Ajayi have been picked by the World soccer ruling body to officiate.
In another development, the two officials who were in Cameroun for the CAF Women Referees Elite Course are back in the country. While Bose Momoh went for the referees course, Stella Iloje attended the Instructors course.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/mba-nigerian-referees-on-fifa-duty/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh bemoans central defence
By: Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Sunday Oliseh
Nigeria head coach Sunday Oliseh wants a quick response from his charges ahead of Sunday’s international friendly against Cameroon.
The Super Eagles were beaten 2-0 by Congo DR in their last friendly international on Thursday with Dieumerci Mbokani and Jordan Mkololo netting for the Leopards at Stade de la Cité de l'Oie, Visé.
Oliseh is now looking for a rapid response that will see his side bounce back against the four-time African champions.
“The most important thing (was) allowing the boys rest (after the game with DR Congo) and freshen up the minds.
“We have to take the positives from that defeat against Congo DR.
“We desperately need cover for the central defence position as the duo of Godfrey Oboabona and Kenneth Omeruo were badly missed in the defeat to Congo DR.
“We are building and we are getting more and more players buy into our philosophy and the cohesion is getting better,” he said.
Oliseh has so far managed three games as Nigeria coaches and has masterminded one win, one draw and one defeat.
[/b]

ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/151010/Oliseh_bemoans_central_defence
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:42am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Eagles seek Cameroun redemption
By: Andrew Randa
[/size]
Nigeria and Cameroon will renew their rivalry when the two sides meet in an international friendly at the Stade Edmond Machtens in Brussels on Sunday, October 11th.
The Super Eagles will be looking to redeem themselves after being humbled by DR Congo on Thursday night Vice losing 2-0 to the Leopards.
It was a game characterized with a lot lethargic play and a subdued performance that probably resonated from the squabbles in the team’s camp few days before the game.
Former captain Vincent Enyeama had a fall out with Oliseh and subsequently left the Eagles camp. A few hours later, he announced his international retirement.
The build up to the game had been chaotic from the start with players getting inured and Oliseh having to make do with a tiny squad as he opened camp due to the inability of some players to get entry visas to Belgium.
Cameroun on the other hand have a relatively quite time in Belgium preparing for the game as Volker Finke prepares his wards for the 2018 World Cup preliminary rounds with another eye on the 2017 Afcon qualifiers next year.
The Indomitable Lions defeated Belgian Jupiler Liga side KV Oostende 3-1 on Thursday night in a friendly game almost the same time Nigeria was pummelled by the DRC.
Nigerian striker Joseph Akpala scored for Oostende as early as the second minute but Cameroun scored three times through Vincent Aboubakar, Aurelin Chedjou and Clinton Njie to win the game.
Oliseh will have to get his charges ready to face a rampant Cameroun side who will be looking to do a number on Nigeria considering the much documented rivalry between the two sides.
[/b]

ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/151009/Eagles_seek_Cameroun_redemption

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:48am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
No more underdogs In African football
By: Sunday Oliseh
[/size]

As I sat there at the Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium, Port Harcourt Nigeria and watched Sierra Leone mastermind a more than deserved 0-0 versus African champions Ivory Coast, I could not help but marvel at the latest trend in African football.
One day earlier, as coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria, I witnessed also first hand, problems dealing with the assault and fight that the Tanzanians put up against us in Dar es Salaam. So hard was the fight that one could arguably say we might have been lucky to come away with a point. Though I feel my players deserved it.
On the same day, South Africa lost away to Mauritania 3-1 in a hard-fought encounter. These are scorelines that were near unthinkable 10 years ago, but here we are living it up in reality.
While the Ivorians can argue that they were missing Yaya Toure etc and Nigeria’s Super Eagles were fielding not just a new coach and new team, but players who trained just two days together for the first time before travelling out to Tanzania, the fact still remains that this would not have happened in the past. So why now?
My personal experience was that the erstwhile smaller nations are not so relatively naive anymore like they used to be. They defend better now and prepare better for the ‘big nations’. Tanzania trained for two weeks as a team in Turkey prior to facing the Super Eagles as opposed to the latter’s two-day preparations.
The general knowledge of the game among smaller nations is much better now as they regroup better to defend as a team and sometimes take the fight up to the faces of the big nations.
Many smaller nations now have foreign-based professionals all over the world polishing their trade, sometimes in lower European but competitive leagues and surprise the so-called top nations when they meet.
The most significant reason, in my opinion, why these big nations struggle versus the smaller ones is the dwindling number of African players (from these big nations) in the major top European clubs and leagues, as was the case in the past.
You may ask why that should be decisive. Well, playing regularly in a top club and/or league gives you that extra edge to eventually make the difference when you play against players with less opportunities. Most especially when your team boasts several of them assembled together simultaneously.
Take Nigeria (Super Eagles) of the 90s or Cameroon. We had top players in most major club sides and leagues in Europe, more than most African nations, and could rely on these players to often make the difference when we played qualifiers in Africa for major tournaments.
This is where the dilemma takes a twist. For major club sides to come buying again we have no choice but to improve our fortunes at the national team levels in major world competitions like the World Cup and African Nations Cup.
The situation for a neutral spectator is heaven-sent as match results are now less predictable, unlike they used to be in the past.
In as much as this is not a welcome situation for some of us, this is the reality of world football today. As you may have noticed, football nations rarely lose by 7-0, as was the case in the past. It shows also how matured all nations have become.
Having said that, this is in no way an excuse for faltering top nations like ours. With the populations that some of us have, we should continue to dominate African and world soccer.
Though the smaller nations are getting more difficult to break, it is up to nations like Nigeria, Ivory Coast and South Africa to raise our level of play to continue to dominate.
[/b]

ng.supersport.mobi/football/blogs/sunday-oliseh/No_more_underdogs_In_African_football

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:51am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
The baptism of Nigeria’s new coach
By: Segun Odegbami
[/size]
Last Saturday, in the city of Dar es salam, we saw glimpses of a new Super Eagles team. It was not such a pleasant sight.
The match had no goals scored, no creative or constructive play, only one truly outstanding player (the new Nigerian goalkeeper) and no clear chances created in 90 minutes of a drab encounter played on an abysmal turf.
It was Sunday Oliseh’s first taste of the fiery world of coaching Nigeria’s national team.
It was a match that led to an apology by the new coach to Nigerians for the poor performance of the team, even though it was obvious that coaching was not the problem with the team. The Nigerian team simply comprised average players that were clueless and could not find their feet.
Aside from everything else, I think Nigerians’ expectations were unrealistically high considering the circumstances surrounding the match.
Strong teams are not built in a hurry through assembling new players for one week by a coach who is new himself. Plus, the Nigerian team comprised players too inexperienced to go to the high altitude of Tanzania and expect to defeat the Taifa Stars on their home ground. That was a tall order.
Unfortunately, the Super Eagles failed to impress even themselves with a pedestrian performance that left everyone watching in need of a cup of coffee to stay awake.
The problem, obviously, was not about the coaching but the lack of quality players. Oliseh rightly says he needs more time to discover the right players and to coach them to develop a distinctive culture of football reminiscent of the national teams of the 1980s and 1990s, of which Oliseh himself was an active part. This culture emphasises playing to the natural strength of Nigerian players, and exploiting their physique, athleticism and speed as they power down both flanks in ceaseless attacks.
Oliseh is right – he needs plenty of time, a luxury he would not get from Nigerians, of course.
So what does he do now that domestic Nigerian football has not helped the mass production of players of exceptional quality that Oliseh is looking for?
Even where a few good players come through the system, the process of honing their talent to the next level is stunted by their failure to go to the right clubs abroad, an absolute essential for making the transition from raw talent to quality finished product. Domestic Nigerian football still does not have the calibre of coaches, the quality of venues (particularly for training) and the mental attitude needed to make such transformation possible.
So, we can easily conclude that until and unless a talented Nigerian footballer goes abroad and passes through the crucible of psychological and technical development, he is unlikely to become a finished product of the quality that can fulfil Oliseh’s dream of a new and truly exceptional Super Eagles, flying on both wings.
Oliseh and all the other great stars of his generation and after – Rashidi, Okocha, Kanu, Ikpeba, Babangida and Mikel - also went through this process.
But there is a dangerous angle to this matter that requires careful examination.
To halt the practice where players just migrate cheaply to any mushroom clubs abroad and waste away in obscurity, Oliseh might have to do what his coach in the 1994 Super Eagles, Clemens Westerhof, did to guarantee success – get involved in shepherding the best discovered local players to strategic countries and the right clubs abroad that will ensure and accelerate their development and maturity. Westerhof actually assisted several players into clubs in Belgium and Holland at the risk of being tagged a merchant of Nigerian players.
It is a catch-22 situation. Failure to be involved in this seemingly ‘ugly’ practice is tantamount to watching good raw materials sold into the ‘slavery’ of clubs in obscure corners of the world, where they slowly and steadily waste away.
In this matter I have no advice for Oliseh. He should decide what’s best for him and for Nigeria.
So, Oliseh is combing the whole of Europe, and even some parts of Asia, in search of quality players that must have escaped the dragnet of previous scouting.
His baptism last Saturday clearly shows the hurdles he has to scale to survive in Nigeria.
What can Oliseh do now?
He must put on his thinking cap very quickly. Nigerians have no patience with unfavourable results. He must be clever in managing the best players available now for the next year before the more difficult and critical World Cup preliminary matches begin. He will survive the Afcon qualifiers.
[/b]

ng.supersport.mobi/football/blogs/segun-odegbami/The_baptism_of_Nigerias_new_coach
.....Continue in the next article
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:56am On Oct 10, 2015
.....Continue from the last article
[b][size=14pt]
The baptism of Nigeria’s new coach
By: Segun Odegbami
[/size]
It would be foolhardy for him to embark on starting a completely new team now. The players are just not available. So, he must still make use of some older players with the experience and attitude that will provide the stability the team needs now.
Nigeria’s midfield holds the key to the immediate future of the Super Eagles.
My advice on the team?
I think Mikel Obi still has a few more years of service he could render the Eagles. The only proviso conditions are that he must relinquish his captaincy and be ready to play strictly as a defensive midfield player, never venturing up front for anything, providing additional cover for the shaky central defence Nigeria has been parading for some time now, and keep floating those immaculate passes of his to running forwards on both wings. No more, no less.
Ogenyi Onazi is still needed in the midfield with his endless running, tackling and shooting from a distance. It is his temperament that must be kept in check.
Joel Obi, when healthy and fit, has the experience and skill from the Italian league to play as the creative attacking midfielder in the Super Eagles.
Victor Moses is still definitely needed in Nigeria’s line-up. His dribbling skills, acceleration and inventiveness, for now, are still unmatched. His presence in the team will help boost the confidence of the newcomers and make them want to also freely express their individualism, a trait on which successful Nigerian players thrive.
Add to these tested warriors some of the emerging talents from the junior teams, and a new team would start to emerge. I am still not so sure what to make of Iheanacho’s ability, but Awoniyi is surely ready for a place in the front line of the Super Eagles.
There must be a few others that will be discovered through the series of friendly matches against easy opposition that are now being arranged at regular intervals for the purpose of testing new players and building the confidence of those discovered.
As he celebrates his baptism into the world of coaching the Super Eagles, I do not envy Sunday Oliseh the onerous task ahead. But I trust he will successfully wade through the storms, the challenges and the landmines that lie menacingly in his path.
[/b]

ng.supersport.mobi/football/blogs/segun-odegbami/The_baptism_of_Nigerias_new_coach
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Obey Oliseh, NFF warns Eagles after Enyeama’s exit
By Allwell Okpi
[/size]

Vincent Enyeama
In a move to quench possible rebellion in the Super Eagles after a quarrel between the coach, Sunday Oliseh, and the erstwhile captain of the team, Vincent Enyeama, the Nigeria Football Federation on Friday warned the national team players to ensure that they abide by the coach’s instructions.
The NFF President Amaju Pinnick was quoted by the federation’s official website as telling the Eagles in Belgium to regard Oliseh as the father of the national team and obey him for the team’s progress.
“A lot has happened in the past couple of days, but the important thing is that the NFF will always be there for the team. A football team is like a family, and the head coach is like the father. I enjoin each and every one of you to work with the coach and abide by his instructions so that we can become better and stronger,” Pinnick said.
“On our part, we will continue to work hard to get friendly matches for you so that the team can bond better and achieve telepathy on the field. Our commitment to taking Nigeria football to heights never previously attained is unshaken.”
Pinnick also urged the team not to dwell on the 2-0 defeat they suffered in the hands of Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday and said he believes in their ability to turn things around and defeat Cameroon on Sunday.
Enyeama, who is Nigeria’s most capped footballer, announced his retirement from the national team on Thursday following a clash with Oliseh, after the gaffer stripped him of the captaincy of the team and handed it to CSKA forward Ahmed Musa.
However, the goalkeeper’s problems started much earlier.
Enyeama reached the 100-cap milestone in March in an international friendly game against Uganda, equalling former captain, Joseph Yobo’s record in the process. He became Nigeria’s most capped player – 101 caps – in June, in the Eagles 2-0 win against Chad in a 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Kaduna.
The 33-year-old’s feat was highly celebrated but in a twist of fate, the Kaduna encounter became the beginning of the end of his international career.
Enyeama stirred up a hornet’s nest when he voiced out against the NFF’s choice of the Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna as the venue for the game against Chad. He opined that Kaduna, which is in the northern part of Nigeria, was not safe for the match due to the activities of the Boko Haram terrorist group in the region.
The goalkeeper’s comments, which didn’t go down well with the NFF, the Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai and indigenes of the state, sparked a controversy that many thought would have earned him a lengthy ban or expulsion. But somehow he survived, howbeit for a while.
Pinnick had countered Enyeama, saying, “Kaduna State has always been a perfect ground for all national teams, and a city in love with football. We are excited anytime we bring a match of the national team to Kaduna, because we are always sure of massive support for our team.”
The federation followed up with a query issued to Enyeama on the matter. The Lille goalkeeper reportedly tore up the query in front of the federation officials, who delivered it and damned all consequences. The NFF reacted by referring the matter to its disciplinary committee for further investigation.
Enyeama was asked to appear before the NFF Disciplinary Committee on Tuesday, June 23, to clarify his comments. But he failed to appear before the committee claiming that he was never notified officially, that he only heard of it in the media; a claim the NFF countered.
However, after about a month of controversy, the NFF pardoned Enyeama and retained him as captain of the Eagles. Incidentally, the Chairman of the NFF Disciplinary Committee, Christopher Green, announced Enyeama’s pardon at the National Stadium, Abuja, shortly after the unveiling of Oliseh as the new Eagles coach.
While the trouble raged, Oliseh was one of those who stood on Enyeama’s side.
Even before taking up the Eagles job, Oliseh said Enyeama, as captain of the team, had the right to air his opinion regarding the team’s safety.
Oliseh, was also quoted as saying, “Enyeama is not a civil servant, why are you querying him? He’s a professional football player, the captain, and he aired his opinion that I think should be respected.
“Who do we think we are? This is one of the best goalkeepers in the world. Who are the members of the committee that want to question him, these men have never played football and neither do they know how football is run.”
Oliseh was also said to have helped to reconcile Enyeama with the NFF officials but that was not the end.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/obey-oliseh-nff-warns-eagles-after-enyeamas-exit/
.....Continue in the next article
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 12:53pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]
By Allwell Okpi
Despite this, the relationship between Oliseh and Enyeama never seemed very cordial from day one. It was rumoured that Enyeama was a loyalist of the former Eagles coach, Stephen Keshi, and was not happy with the coach’s removal.
With his retirement, it is on record that Enyeama never played for the Eagles under Oliseh. Though he was invited, he opted out of the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Tanzania and the friendly game against Niger, due to the demise of his mother. Then, he arrived in camp in Belgium late because of his mother’s burial before his fallout with Oliseh ensued.
Apparently, Oliseh had started having faith in Carl Ikeme, who took Enyeama’s place in the goal post, and Ahmed Musa, who stood in as captain in the two games, but on his arrival in the Belgium camp, Enyeama could not come to terms with the sudden change in the team, hence the clash.
Oliseh’s announcement of Musa as a substantive captain of the team, out of the blues, and the drama that followed was the last straw.
While the Belgium drama was on, Enyeama wrote on hisInstagrampage: “After 13 years of national service, having this smile on my face and this passion in my heart. Through the billows, the waves of the ocean, the tears of defeat, the sound of rejoicing from victory chants. Now the thought of being stripped naked and security agents throwing me out breaks me completely. I will take anything but not insult to my dead mother.”
Oliseh explained that he drove all the way to France from Belgium to discuss his plans with Enyeama and he gave him (Oliseh) the impression that he would retire soon, prompting his decision to build the team with a new captain.
In a later interview, Oliseh also denied insulting the memory of Enyeama’s mother and said he had made an arrangement for the team to honour her with a minute silence before the game against Tanzania, but the Tanzanian authorities did not permit it.
On Thursday, while speaking toBrilla FM, Enyeama acknowledged that his travails had started with his comments on Kaduna, and said Pinnick had spoken to him on the telephone and told him to remain in the camp.
However, a few hours later, Enyeama left the camp and announced that he was “no more available for international duties.”
The NFF’s immediate response seemed to have confirmed speculations that some officials of the federation had been seeking a way to ease him out of the team without eliciting criticisms from Nigerians.
Reacting to Enyeama’s retirement, the NFF Assistant Director of Communications, Ademola Olajire, told theNews Agency of Nigeriain Abuja that the federation would not reach out to Enyeama to convince him to rescind his decision to quit the Eagles.
“We heard about his quitting the national team on hisInstagrampage. If somebody says he is retiring from the national team, what are we going to do? Beg him? We don’t know if he is leaving the national team because of his quarrel with the coach. So, why should we be finding out whether he left because of the rift? The player has gone out of the camp. What do you want us to do? He has left the camp and he did not tell anybody that he was leaving,” Olajire said.
Ex-international, Garba Lawal, toldSaturday PUNCHthat Oliseh should have handled the matter of selecting a new captain with discretion to avoid the clash.
He said every coach has his distinct philosophy and therefore the right to choose his team and its captain, but “there are situations a coach should handle between him and his player. You can lock yourselves inside a room, hit yourselves and come out with smiles on your faces without anybody knowing what happened.
“It is not a difficult thing to change the captain of your team. Every player knows that a new coach will change things in the team. Oliseh should have called Enyeama alone into a room and told him, ‘Vincent, now I’m in charge. You are retiring soon. I’ll bring in a new captain that will succeed you.
“If I have an issue, I’ll share with you because you are the most experienced player in the team.’ That way, Enyeama would have agreed with him. Addressing him that way in the presence of other players was not right. That was where the problem started.”
Lawal, who was Oliseh’s teammate, added that the quarrel affected the Eagles on Thursday when they faced Democratic Republic of Congo in Belgium, saying the issue had caused a division in the team.
That division manifested in the game when Musa, the new captain, was substituted. He offered the captain’s armband to Mikel Obi, but the Chelsea midfielder declined. Lazio midfielder Ogenyi Onazi intervened. He took the band and handed it to Monaco defender Elderson Echiejile, who wore it for the rest of the match.
[/b]

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:06pm On Oct 10, 2015
.....Continue from the last article
[size=14pt]
[/size]

By Allwell Okpi
That mild drama was evidence that Oliseh needs to unite his team before their next friendly game against Cameroon, which would be played in Brussels on Sunday.
Just like Lawal, another ex-international, Friday Ekpo, said in spite of the events that led to his retirement, Enyeama deserves to be praised for serving the country for 13 years.
“All I can say is congratulations to my brother, Enyeama, for playing for the Super Eagles for 13 years. God was with him. He had no major injury and he was always at his best. I wish him the best as he focuses on his club career. I’ll also advise him to put what has happened behind him,” he said.
Ekpo urged the NFF to conduct a thorough investigation into the fallout between Oliseh and Enyeama and take appropriate steps based on its findings.

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 1:37pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Camp fallout behind DR Congo defeat - Lawal
[/size]

The ex-international feels Thursday's defeat was due to the face-off between the manager and the former captain and urges focus ahead Cameroon clashEXCLUSIVEBySamuel Ahmadu Follow on TwitterFormer Nigeria international Garba Lawal has blamed the Super Eagles' 2-0 international friendly loss to DR Congo on Thursday to the fallout from Tuesday's fracas between manager Sunday Oliseh and former captain Vincent Enyeama.
In his assessment, Lawal said the team's display against Congo was disappointing, while indicating the Oliseh-Enyeama feud created disunity in the team.
The former Nigeria midfielder expressed disappointment at the trainer's poor show of maturity in the face-off, urging Oliseh to see himself as the father and act like one going forward.
"Actually the game was not good enough and for us to lose the game by 2-0 is disappointing," Lawal toldGoal.
"The rhythm of the game and everything about it just went wrong. If DR Congo could beat us now it means football is changing and there is no small game either.
"Before we think we will meet any small country, we think we could beat them. Now we can see now that there are no small games. Every game for national teams now is like a cup final in Africa.
"It is going to be tough on Sunday and everybody knows our game against Cameroon on Sunday is always kicking and pushing. I believe we all got it wrong, if we lose a game, we should know something is wrong.
"Whether we like it or not, in football there are ups and downs."
He praised retiring record-capped Enyeama, but has decried the Lille goalkeeper's humiliating exit, insisting his 13 years of patriotic services for country was no easy feat.
"Well done to Enyeama, 13 years is not easy and he is been doing wonderfully for the country. But I could have loved to see him retire in a better way and not like this," he continued.
"The whole years since he came in and started very well and had ups and downs with the national team. Nevertheless, Enyeama has been wonderful, but whether we like it or not, he is going to leave the team and the team will continue. Only that I didn't expect him to leave this way.
"You and I were not in the camp, but I think when this kind of incident happened I believe the coach could have done better. I don't know how it degenerated to the point where a coach and his captain will be involved in such kind of confrontation and such exchange of words which doesn't make sense at all.
"When a coach is new in a place he should call the oldest player here and tell him he is a new coach and I want to select my captain because every coach has his own philosophy.
"He should have made him understand that he is even more important than his captain and that would have made Enyeama happy bearing in mind he could leave soon and not thinking of the arm-band.
"[Oliseh] has to learn how to control his temper. As a coach and a manager, you are like a father and must act as one. I think he should know how to control himself. When you are a coach you need to learn how to manage everybody, even your technical crew," he lamented.
"Now there is no way you can convince Enyeama to play for the team - he is not going to come back with what has happened. Normally, even if he did not retire i don't expect him to play every game because he has contributed a lot to the team. What has happened, has happened we move on."
Lawal decried the impact of the recent events on the psyche and comportment of the squad.
"Whether we like it or not, the players will begin to hold side talks - they will be talking between themselves and no way you can stop the side talks because the camp will be divided into two.
"No matter how disciplined you are, no one can stop that. Whether it divides the team or not, the players need to take responsibility now that Enyeama has left and has paid his dues."
He, however, urged the Nigeria Football Federation to mend the crack walls that may have been created within the team from the fallout.
"The NFF are there and need to do everything to help the team remain united. It is important for the NFF to boost the team up now and tell them what has happened, has happened let us remain focussed as a team," he concluded.
Nigeria will take on Cameroon in an international friendly on Sunday.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4093/nigeria/2015/10/10/16187992/camp-fallout-behind-dr-congo-defeat-lawal
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:46pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Cameroon skipper Mbia bullish, Saviour warns Eagles
[/size]

Skipper Stephane Mbia of Cameroon
Skipper Stephane Mbia has told AfricanFootball.com Cameroon aim to beat Nigeria, while Nigeria U23 star Godwin Saviour has warned the Super Eagles will be up against it when the two rivals do battle in a friendly in Brussels, Belgium, on Sunday night.
Mbia, who played a pivotal role for the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon on Wednesday in a 3-1 win over Saviour’s KV Oostende, said he expects a tough match against the Super Eagles even though both teams are rebuilding.
"I will do my best on the pitch and contribute meaningfully to the game,” Cameroon skipper Mbia told AfricanFootball.com
"Nigeria are a big and good football nation, so we must not think we will have a smooth ride over them. We will put in our very best in the game to make our supporters proud of us.
"Both teams are rebuilding but even despite that it's going to be a tough game as ever between the two teams. I know it will be a difficult game.
A Cameroon and Nigeria game is always a big one, though this is a friendly game, we aim for victory and it's important for the team's rebuilding process."
Saviour, 19, started for KVO and played 75 minutes in his Belgian club’s loss to the Indomitable Lions.
He described Cameroon as “very organised” and was equally impressed by Tottenham Hotspur flying winger Clinton Njie, who scored one of the goals for the Indomitable Lions.
“Cameroon were very organised against us, but it was only when we replaced our starting attack that they came back into the game and won 3-1,” Saviour told AfricanFootball.com
“One player who really caught my attention was their No.7 (Njie), the Eagles defence must have to stop him on Sunday.”
Saviour also told AfricanFootball.com he plans to mae the two-hour road trip from his base to Brussels so as to cheer the Eagles along with teammate and compatriot Joseph Akpala.
Incidentally, Akpala opened scoring for the Belgian league leaders and KVO Oostende skipper Sebastien Siani featured for Cameroon.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/574950/Cameroon-skipper-Mbia-bullish-Saviour-warns-Eagles
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2015
[size=14pt]
Visa stops Oboabona from Eagles friendlies
[/size]

Oboabona
Defender Godfrey Oboabona has been ruled out of Sunday’s friendly against Cameroon in Belgium after he was not granted visa from his base in Turkey.
Eagles spokesman Toyin Ibitoye disclosed Oboabona was not issued visa to travel to Belgium for the friendlies against DR Congo and Cameroon.
“Oboabona is still missing because he was not issued a visa,” said Ibitoye.
Some team officials and six players from the domestic league were delayed for several days before they were issued visas to travel to Belgium.

africanfootball.com/news/574865/Visa-stops-Oboabona-from-Eagles-friendlies
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:57pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Will indomitable Lions have Super Eagles for dinner?
[/size]

Eagles defender Kingsley Madu
Cameroon’s Indomitable Lions will on Sunday night in Brussels be up against Nigeria’s Super Eagles, who are still reeling from a 2-0 loss to DR Congo and a sensational retirement of erstwhile skipper Vincent Enyeama.
Cameroon defeated Belgian league leaders KV Oostende 3-1 in a friendly on Thursday also in Belgium as both the Indomitable Lions and Nigeria prepare for 2018 World Cup qualifiers next month.
The Eagles are hard pressed for a result particularly after the disgraceful falling out between coach Sunday Oliseh and Enyeama as well as a shambolic display against DRC in Vise.
On Thursday, it was a disorganised Eagles against DRC. They failed to create chances in front of goal and despite their better ball possession, they hardly threatened the goal of their opponents.
Oliseh has maintained these friendlies are meant for him to have a closer look at his call-ups as he begins rebuilding the national team.
In that case, the likes of Wilfred Ndidi and Abia Warriors defenders Austin Oboroakpo will be expected to be given a decent run on Sunday.
NFF president Amaju Pinnick has urged the Eagles to go for victory against Cameroon.
"I have no doubt in your ability to turn things around when we play Cameroon on Sunday. That means you need to put this defeat (vs DR Congo) behind you and focus hard on Sunday’s match," Pinnick said.
Cameroon will line up top stars like skipper Stephane Mbia, Vincent Aboubakar as well as Tottenham Hotspur winger Clinton Njie, who all featured against KV Oostende earlier this week.
Both countries have met 19 times, with Nigeria winning eight times, Cameroon won four times, while seven games ended in draws.
First meeting of both teams was on 25th April, 1960 in a friendly match which ended goalless.
The last meeting between both countries on February 8, 2004, in an AFCON quarterfinal ended 2-1 in favour of Nigeria.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/574862/Will-indomitable-Lions-have-Super-Eagles-for-dinner
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:11pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi: We Want To Win For Nigeria Fans Against Cameroon
[/size]
By Adeboye Amosu:
Super Eagles midfielder, Ogenyi Onazi says the team have put behind them the defeat against Democratic Republic of Congo, and are now firmly focused on securing a win against Cameroon in Sunday's international friendly encounter in Brussels, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
The former African champions put up a below par showing in the 2-0 defeat to the Leopards with Dieumerci Mbokani and Jordan Nkololo getting the goals for the Congolese.
With attention now shifted to the clash against the Indomitable Lions billed for the 11,000 seater, Edmond Matchens Stadium, the Lazio of Italy star divulged to Comple tesportsnigeria.com, that they are determined to put up a good showing against their perennial rivals.
"The game against DR Congo is gone now, so the only thing we are thinking about is Sunday's clash with Cameroon," Onazi told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
"It is important for us to win the game and also put up a performance that our fans will appreciate.
"We are are going to approach the game with all seriousness even though it is just a friendly.
"We need a win to improve our confidence as a team and we will put in our best to make sure we beat Cameroon."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-we-want-to-win-for-nigeria-fans-against-cameroon/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Vincent Enyeama is Africa's best keeper in history, says Mbia
[/size]

Nigeria's goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama (top) makes a save during a Round of 16 football match between France and Nigeria at Mane Garrincha National Stadium in Brasilia during the 2014 FIFA World Cup on June 30, 2014. PHOTO | EVARISTO SA | AFP
In Summary
*.Enyeama abruptly quit international football after a highly successful 13 years this week following a row with coach Sunday Oliseh at the Super Eagles’ camp in Brussels
Advertisement
By DAVID KWALIMWA
More by this Author
Cameroon captain Stephane Mbia has hailed Nigeria's Vincent Enyeama as one of the best goalkeepers in African history.
Enyeama, who abruptly quit international football after a highly successful 13 years this week following a row with coach Sunday Oliseh at the Super Eagles’ camp in Brussels, is the highest capped player for the West African giants.
(READ: Enyeama quits international football)
Cameroon and Nigeria will face off in a friendly match in Belgium this weekend and in his pre-match notes, Mbia hailed the retired custodian.
"I think Enyeama has his personal reasons for retiring but for me he is the best goalkeeper in African football history," Mbia told Daily Nation Sport in an interview.
The Indomitable Lions will be using the game their arch-rivals for preparations ahead of the forthcoming 2018 World Cup qualifiers.
Cameroon will play either Somalia or Niger in the first of potentially several qualification matches in November and Mbia, who won the Europa League with Sevilla two seasons agao, is confident the team has all it takes to secure qualification to the 2018 showdown in Russia.
"We are working to build a new dynamic and powerful national team and our aim is to win game after game and play in Russia," he said.
Mbia, who captained Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations in Equatorial Guinea earlier this year, was instrumental in his team's 3-1 triumph against Belgium top flight club Oostende on Thursday.
[/b]

www.nation.co.ke/sports/football/Vincent-Enyeama-is-Africa-best-keeper-in-history-Stephane-Mbia-/-/1102/2907452/-/14arfaa/-/index.html

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:22pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ikhana weeps for Nigerian football
[/size]
* Why players are falling
* Says clubs destroying country’s image
Former African coach of the year, Kadiri Ikhana, who once coached Super Eagles captain and goalkeeper, Vincent Enyeama at Enyimba, traces the root of indiscipline in Nigerian players. He spoke with JOHN EGBOKHAN.
How has the coaching business been for you for about three decades now?
It has been quite interesting. I played football and coaching is part of the game. It is interesting because it is what I love doing. Football is what I have been doing all my life.
How did it start?
I started coaching in 1985.
Which team was that?
I was the pioneer coach of El Kanemi Warriors. That was where I started my active coaching.
How was the beginning for you?
It was not that easy because that was my first time of coaching and I think it was harder than playing because I also played to the top. Coaching a team is a high-tension job but it is quite interesting.
How have you been able to manage the problems that coaches face because if a team does not fare well, they blame the coach but if the team does well, they credit the players?
(Laughs) It is very normal for coaches to believe that we don’t have a permanent job anywhere. You may be hired today and fired tomorrow, if you lose games. That is why it is a high-tension job. All the same, it is interesting because for everything you are doing, there is always time to terminate it but in football, it comes sudden.
You have had your fair share of ups and downs in coaching. There was a time that you were even attacked in Kwara, yet you have stuck to coaching?
I have been attacked about four times in the Nigerian league. One was in Aba, another in Ibadan, another in Kwara and then in Kaduna. It is part of the game because people love football and can do anything in the course of the game. They easily get carried away when their teams do not win and at the end of the day, they either attack the referee, the coach or the players. It is not something that is strange. It is all over the world but it is not encouraging because you cannot see somebody attacking a doctor or mechanic for failed treatments or failed repairs. It is only in football that it happens. In other sports, coaches are not attacked for the failure of their teams but in football, we bear the brunt of any failure.
So why do you still coach despite the risks to your life and the attendant effects it may cause your loved ones?
It is the interest that I have for the game that keeps me going. Having played the game and now coaching, I have found out that this is the job for me. I have been into active football for close to 46 years now. I am immune to the game and it is not easy to remove the system from now.
Kadiri Ikhana
Even if it can cost you your life?
People die from doing their professional jobs and if that should be my lot, I will take it that way. Even the job you feel is safe, people still die on them. I am a Moslem and believe that death can come in any way. It is not only through wars that people die. Some eat and die, some sleep and die, some walk and die, so death comes in various ways. Death is inevitable as far I am concerned. It comes when it is time.
If it comes on the job, you will take it as it is?
When death comes, you don’t have an option. A dead man does not have a choice. He is already gone. Death can come in any way. I have seen people who were in aeroplane and a crash occurred, leaving some dead and others alive. I do not think the number of coaches who died on the job is much. It is rare. It is very low. Except there is a tragedy in the stadium where people are falling on themselves. I think in Nigeria, it has happened only once when one coach was manhandled in Maiduguri and lost his life. I think that is the only time that I think a coach died from fans’ violence in Nigeria.
One of your glowing achievements was the Champions League feat with Enyimba in 2003…
(Cuts in). I think all Nigerian coaches have achieved because achievement has to do with players you have brought up and those you used to win trophies. Some of the players I used to win the Champions League trophy were not discovered by me. I was not the one who brought them up, so why should I take credit for the efforts of other coaches.
[/b]

Read more..........
www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/ikhana-weeps-for-nigerian-football/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:48pm On Oct 10, 2015
Orkpekyandega:
[size=14pt]
Babayaro: Oliseh is confused
[/size]
He called on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to ensure Oliseh stays in Nigeria and watch the local lads himself, as those presently being called up by the coaches in charge are not the best legs in the local league.

I think this is an important point Oliseh must look into. Poor selection of local talents will not help the team in any way.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 12:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
I hope this 's'uper Eagles 'll not turn to 'SUPPER' Eagles for the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon tonight.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:56pm On Oct 11, 2015
A player I really like in the NPFL is Prince Aggrey. He does no wrong on the left side for the Sunshine stars, a very innovative player and he also has goals in him.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:45pm On Oct 11, 2015
[size=14pt]
Ambrose Set To Start For Super Eagles Vs Cameroon
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh will hand Celtic defender Efe Ambrose a starting role in Sunday’s international friendly against Cameroun in Belgium, a top source in the team has informed Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
Ambrose, who was not in the starting line-up in the 2-0 loss to DR Congo on Thursday, will partner William Troost-Ekong in the heart of the team’s defence.
“The coach wasn’t impressed with the make-shift centre halves he fielded so Efe comes in for the game against Cameroon and Balogun will return to his natural position at right back,” the source said.
Ambrose has been appointed as the spokesman for the squad after the players elected new leaders following the exit of former captain Vincent Enyeama.
Ahmed Musa is the new captain, while Ogenyi Onazi and Kenneth Omeruo are the vice-captains.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ambrose-set-to-start-for-super-eagles-vs-cameroon/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:57pm On Oct 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Reprimands Enyeama Over Oliseh Row, To Enforce Discipline
[/size]
By Adeboye Amosu:
President of the Nigeria Football Federation, Amaju Pinnick, says the code of conduct for players and officials of the different national teams will soon come into force even as it plans to restrict the use of social media by the players to air situation in the national camp following the clash between Sunday Oliseh and Vincent Enyeama, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
Pinnick told the NFF’s official website on Sunday that the code of conduct was ready and would be implemented soonest to guide the conduct of players, officials and coaches to minimize areas of conflict and tension in the national team camp.
“A small group had been working on the code of conduct and I am happy to say it is now ready for implementation,” Pinnick declared from Belgium on Sunday.
“This will spell out how players and officials must conduct themselves while in any of national camps, and minimize the probability of misunderstading between coaches and players.
“The recent happening in Super Eagles camp is unwarranted, but I’m happy we have been able to put that behind us.
“Both coach Sunday Oliseh and Vincent Enyeama even spoke cordially during Enyeama’s meeting with the NFF leadership.”
Pinnick insisted that with regards to the recent misunderstanding, there is no victor and no vanquished, although he was not happy with Enyeama’s conduct during the row.
At the meeting, Pinnick, in company with NFF 1st Vice President Seyi Akinwunmi and 2nd Vice President Shehu Dikko, told Enyeama in clear terms that the country is bigger than any individual, and that even if he was determined to quit international football, he did not have to do so in a situation of acrimony.
“I told him that he did so well for Nigeria over the past thirteen-and-half years that he had been there, and by all means, is deserving of an honourable exit. Whatever the situation, whether he decides to return to the team or not, the NFF will organize a worthy testimonial match in his honour because he served the nation so well.
“However, the head coach is in full charge of the team and the camp at all times, and that fact must be respected. The NFF will support and respect the decision of the head coach of any of the national teams at all times. Both Oliseh and Enyeama are true heroes of Nigeria football, if you look at what they achieved at different times. But Oliseh is Head Coach now and in charge of the team. We will continue to respect his contract, our role as a Federation is advisory.”
But he hinted that the code of conduct is certain to restrict the use of social media by the players to air situation in the national camp.
“No player launches his career through the social media. When the players are at their clubs, they don’t broadcast camp situation on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
“The same restraint and discipline must be observed in the national camp.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-reprimands-enyeama-over-oliseh-row-to-enforce-discipline/

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.