Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (248801 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
Hey you guyz presence has already made the thread to bubble kudos. Can't wait.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 7:21pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Iheanacho is more a Striker now, but he can also play as a right Winger or a supporting Striker.
Trust me, we need him more in a creative role now. Our main problem isn't with scoring goals, believe me, even Ikeme would rise to the occassion if need be, our main problem is creating those chances.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:22pm On Oct 12, 2015
Hey you guyz presence has already made the thread to bubble, kudos. The analysis here is even more than what you can find in most of the media houses around. Can't wait to see more.
~`Cheers****
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:

Trust me, we need him more in a creative role now. Our main problem isn't with scoring goals, believe me, even Ikeme would rise to the occassion if need be, our main problem is creating those chances.
I concur with your submission and I really believe Iheanacho would excel playing behind the striker (No.10). But if Rabiu Ibraheem could be given more chances playing the position, he's gonna play well and delivered!
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:36pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
NFF Plan Testimonial For Enyeama
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
Vincent Enyeama will get a heroic exit from the Super Eagles despite his recent falling out with head coach of the side, Sunday Oliseh, Comple tesportsnigeria.com can report.
The Lille of France goalie left the Super Eagles camp in Belgium angrily on Thursday due to the ugly row with Oliseh, but returned on Saturday for crucial talks with top officials of the Nigeria Football Federation.
At the meeting was the President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, as well as the two Vice-Presidents, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi and Shehu Dikko.
Pinnick told the NFF official website that Enyeama has served the nation so well in the last 13 years and that if he is determined to quit international football, he must not do so in situation of acrimony.
“I told him that he did so well for Nigeria over the past 13 and half years that he had been there, and by all means, is deserving of a honourable exit.
”What ever the situation, whether he decides to return to the team or not, the NFF will organise a testimonial match in his honour because he served the nation so well.
“However, the head coach is in full charge of the team and the camp at all times , and that fact must be respected.
“The NFF will support and respect the decision of the head coach of any of the national teams at all times.
“Both Oliseh and Enyeama are true heroes of Nigeria football if you look at what they have achieved at different times.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-plan-testimonial-for-enyeama/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:38pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
How Super Eagles Rated Versus Cameroon
[/size]
Comple tesportsnogeria.com's JAMES AGBEREBI rates the Super Eagles' performances individually after their superb 3-0 win over Cameroon on Sunday…
CARL IKEME
Missed a back pass from Efe Ambrose but was lucky it didn't end in the back of the net. Made his first real save on 56 minutes when he tipped a deflected shot for a corner. (6/10)
SHEHU ABDULLAHI
Didn't do much going forward and the few times he ventured forward he was caught out of position. Improved in the second half but needs to work on his delivery. (5)
LEON BALOGUN
Did very well in central defence as he was neat and strong in his tackles, and also solid in the air. Came off in the final minutes of the game (7)
EFE AMBROSE
Made up for his first half error by scoring the first goal off a header. And like his defensive partner, gave a solid performance. (7)
ELDERSON ECHIEJILE
Delivered a fine cross which led to the third goal. Aside from his assist, didn't do much going forward (6)
OGENYI ONAZI
Kept things easy and tidy. Solid and timely in his tackles. (6)
MIKEL OBI
Delivered a well-taken free-kick which resulted in the first goal for Nigeria. Oozed class throughout the time he spent on the field. (cool
SYLVESTER IGBOUN
Troubled the Cameroonian defence with his relentless runs and almost got on the score sheet on two occasions but for the Cameroonian keeper. Didn't offer much in the second half and was later substituted. (6)
MOSES SIMON
Scored the second goal after beating his marker. Laid a nice pass which Emenike failed to connect with. Got involved more in the second half after a disappointing first half. (7)
EMMANUEL EMENIKE
Disappointing performance, dwelled on the ball too long, clumsy in possession. Shot straight at the keeper when put through on goal, couldn't connect with a pass from Simon. Came off in the second half. (5)
AHMED MUSA
Floated a long-range pass which was expertly converted by Simon. Didn't really get a sniff of goal but still did reasonably well before he was substituted. (6)
SUBS:
Wilfred Ndidi
Replaced Mikel Obi in the second half but didn't offer much. (5)
Rabiu Ibrahim
Came on for Igboun but still lacks maturity in his play as he tends to play to the gallery and unnecessarily holds on to the ball for long. (5)
Odion Ighalo
Scored the third goal after connecting a fine header which went past the keeper. Will offer a lot to the team. (7)
Alex Iwobi
Replaced Musa and was full of running. Transition was good, held the ball well and was tidy with his passes. (6)
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/how-super-eagles-rated-versus-cameroon/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:39pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo, Simon On Target As Super Eagles Spank Cameroon
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:
The Super Eagles ended their Belgium tour on a winning note following a 3-0 win over 10-man Cameroon at the Edmond Matchens Stadium, Brussels, on Sunday.
Celtic of Scotland defender, Ambrose Efe, a replacement for the injured Keneth Omeruo, put the three-time African champions ahead in the 37th minute after a long period of domination.
Efe who nearly scored an own goal few minutes earlier nodded home Mikel Obi's perfect free-kick to give Sunday Oliseh's men a deserved lead.
The Indomitable Lions came close to equalizing twice before the end of the first half.
First, Vincent Aboubacar failed to get on the end of a superb cross from the right, while Tottenham of England new-boy Clinton Njie fluffed a glorious chance late in the half.
With barely a minute in the second half, Cameroon were reduced to 10 when captain of the side, Stephane Mbia, was sent off for a dangerous looking tackle on Sylvester Igbonu.
Despite playing with a man down, Cameroon dominated the early part of the half, but Moses Simon put the game beyond them when he blasted the ball home from the edge of the box following a wonderful long pass from Ahmed Musa in the 60th minute.
Vincent Aboubacar thought he had pulled a goal back for Cameroon in the 73rd minute, but the effort was ruled out for offside.
Substitute Odion Ighalo converterd the third three minutes from time nodding the ball home from a pinpoint Elderson Echiejile cross.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-simon-on-target-as-super-eagles-spank-cameroon/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 12, 2015
AIG07:

*smiles* nigerians are always funny.
If u say o. Martins s old den what 'll u say about Pirlo(d professor), fletcher, keane, ronaldo, buffon etc who are already in their 30s but still represent their countries.
U don't just drive/send away d oldies cos u get a dynamic n prospective young talents in a team.
Their presence boost team morales,brings fear into d opponents n their experience can't just be ignored. They may not start matches cos de're aging(by the way martins plays 90min of football week in week out) but can come off d bench n change games.
so having one, two or three of them in a team of 23 won't be bad but will rather make the team stronger
AIG07
I always respect your input sir , even in ghost mode!
You and I know that isn't his real age grin
Martins is already 40yrs old! He was born in 1975!
That's the hidden fact, but obvious to many of us! Football (Africa) age at play!
Is Musa, Omeruo, Onazi are really 22years old? grin

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:44pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Omeruo, Iwobi, Balogun Thrilled With Eagles Win Over Cameroon
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles trio, Kenneth Omeruo, Alex Iwobi and Leon Balogun, all took to Twitter to hail the team’s 3-0 win against Cameroon in an international friendly match played in Belgium on Sunday.
Reacting to the win Omeruo, who didn’t feature due to injury, described the win as great.
“Bravo guys, great win,” the Kasimpasa defender wrote.
Iwobi, who came on as a second half substitute, expressed his happiness for earning his second cap for the cap.
the Arsenal youngster wrote: “Beat Cameroon 3-0. Glad to get my second cap for the Super Eagles.”
And on his part, Balogun who was outstanding against the Cameroonians, praised the entire team for their collective effort.
“Impressive performance tonight! That’s how you bounce back! Thanks for all the love, but there’s only one star – the team!” the Mainz defender tweeted.
Goals from Efe Ambrose, Moses Simon and Odion Ighalo, secured the win against Cameroon.
The Eagles lost 2-0 to the DR Congo in their first international friendly game.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/omeruo-iwobi-balogun-thrilled-with-eagles-win-over-cameroon/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 7:47pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

I concur with your submission and I really believe Iheanacho would excel playing behind the striker (No.10). But if Rabiu Ibraheem could be given more chances playing the position, he's gonna play well and delivered!
Bummer! The national team usually doesn't have the luxery of playing over 50matches a year and with such vast array of stars out there waiting to take your spot, consistency is the key. A coach usually is very careful giving those kind of chances to one player unless he is very consistent. My point is, rabiu is a very good player. In the match against chad, he gave a very good performance. If he brings in that kind of performance more often, he might seal his place.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:47pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo: Eagles Win Over Cameroon Has Restored Confidence
[/size]

—Watford Striker Delighted To Score, Ready For Swaziland
By Johhny Edward:
Watford striker Odion Ighalo is delighted to have scored his second international goal for the Super Eagles as they trounced the Indomitable Lions of Cameroun 3-0 on Sunday.
The Hornets forward who has scored five goals in the Premier League this season told Comple tesportsnigeria.com after the game that‎ the win will boost the team's battered confidence going into the next game.
The Eagles will likely face Swaziland in a 2018 World Cup qualifier in their next game in November‎ and Ighalo thinks the prospect of featuring at the Mundial in Russia is enough motivation ahead of the fixture.
"I'm happy to get a goal ‎but most importantly the win has doused a lot of tension and you can see from the way the team celebrated every goal shows that with peace in camp we can conquer," Ighalo told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
Ighalo who headed home Elderson Echiejile's perfect cross in the closing stages of the game also admitted he wasn't at his best in the Eagles 2-0 loss to Congo last Thursday.
"It wasn't my day and I guess that was why I lost my place (to Emmanuel Emenike) in the starting line-up against Cameroun ," he added.
"There's still more work to be done to sustain the tempo which coach Sunday Oliseh demands from the team.
"We have more work to do because the coach's style involves you staying mentally alert for quick reactions.
"We know what is at stake and I believe everybody wants to be at the World Cup so that's a motivation on its own."
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ighalo-eagles-win-over-cameroon-has-restored-confidence/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Musa, Enyeama, Toure Nominated For African Player Of The Year Award
[/size]

Super Eagles captain Ahmed Musa and his predecessor Vincent Enyeama have been nominated for the 2015 African Player of the Year award, the Confederation of African Football announced on Sunday.
Along with the CSKA Moscow forward and the Lille goalkeeper in the 37-man list include Ghana and Swansea star Andre Ayew, last year’s winner Yaya Toure of Cote d’Ivoire and Manchester City, and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon and Borussia Dortmund, as well as Egypt amd Roma winger Mohammed Salah.
The list with be pruned down before the eventual winner will be announced at a ceremony.
Full list of African player of the Year nominees
1. Ahmed Musa CSKA Moscow, Russia Nigeria
2. Andre Ayew Swansea City, England Ghana
3. Aymen ABDENNOUR FC Valence, Spain Tunisia
4. Baghdad Bonjah Étoile du Sahel, Tunisia Algeria
5. Bassem Morsi Zamalek, Egypt Egypt
6. Chrisitian Atsu Bournemouth, England Ghana
7. Dieu Merci Mbokani Norwich, England D.R Congo
8. El Arbi Hillel Soudani Dynamo Zagreb, Croatia Algeria
9. Faouzi Ghoulam Napoli, Italy Algeria
10. Férébory Doré Angers, France Congo
11. Gervais Yao Kouassi Rome, Italy Cote d’Ivoire
12. Ibrahima Traoré Borussia Mönchengladbach, Germany Guinea
13. Javier Balboa Al-Faisaly, Saudi Arabia Equatorial Guinea
14. Héldon Ramos Rio Ave, Portugal Cape Verde
15. Mame Diouf Stoke City, England Senegal
16. Max Alain Gradel Bournemouth, England Cote d’Ivoire
17. Mehdi Benatia Bayern Munich, Germany Morocco
18. Modather Al Tayeb “Karika” Al Hilal, Sudan Sudan
19. Mohamed Salah As Roma, Italy Egypt
20. Nicolas Nkoulou Marseille, France Cameroon
21. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Borussia Dortmund, Germany Gabon
22. Robert Kidiaba T.P Mazembe, D.R Congo D.R Congo
23. Rudy Gestede Aston Villa, England Benin
24. Riyad Mahrez Leicester City, England Algeria
25. Sadio Mané Southampton, England Senegal
26. Serge AURIER Paris Saint Germain, France Côte d’Ivoire
27. Seydou keita Rome, Italy Mali
28. Sofiane FEGHOULI Valence, Spain Algeria
29. Stéphane Mbia Trabzonspor, Turkey Cameroon
30. Thievy Bifouma Granada, Spain Congo
31. Victor Wanyama Southampton, England Kenya
32. Vincent Aboubakar Porto, Portugal Cameroon
33. Vincent Enyeama Lille, France Nigeria
34. Yacine Brahimi Porto, Portugal Algeria
35. Yannick Bolasie Crystal Palace, England RD Congo
36. Yasine Chikhaoui Al-Gharafa, Qatar Tunisia
37. Yaya Toure Man City, England Cot d’Ivoire
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/musa-enyeama-toure-nominated-for-african-player-of-the-year-award/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 7:55pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:

Bummer! The national team usually doesn't have the luxery of playing over 50matches a year and with such vast array of stars out there waiting to take your spot, consistency is the key. A coach usually is very careful giving those kind of chances to one player unless he is very consistent. My point is, rabiu is a very good player. In the match against chad, he gave a very good performance. If he brings in that kind of performance more often, he might seal his place.
Let's assumed you are to pick between the trio (to play behind the Striker): Moses, Iheanacho and Rabiu - who are you gonna pick?!
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:27pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Musa: Eagles Will Win Trophies Under ‘Simple Guy’ Oliseh
[/size]

Super EaglesskipperAhmed Musais confident over Nigeria’s chances in the2017 AFCON qualifierswhile admitting that picking the group ticket ahead of Egypt will be daunting but not insurmountable. He speaks on his new role as well as relationship with Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh in this interview with the NFF youtube channel. Presented byDAVID MESHIOYE
As Super Eagles skipper, what are your visions and plans for the national team?
Well my vision in the Eagles is to win more trophies. It’s been three years since we won the Africa Cup of Nations. What is important now is to ensure Nigeria qualify for the next AFCON.
How has it been working with coach Sunday Oliseh?
For me, I think it’s a great moment and I am happy to be working with a simple guy. You always want to meet him when you don’t understand what he is saying, all for further explanation. I think the sky is our limit with the way the team is going.
Would you say Nigerians are overbearing in terms of their expectations?
Yes, we know our country and we know what their expectations are and we are working hard to meet up to those expectations. But as you know in football, you don’t get it right all the time; sometimes it goes well and it can be the other way round. Nigeria should please understand these facts that we are still building a new team. With a few more games for the team we will get there. As you can see, the team is made up of new players and it will take time for us all to understand one another.
Going down memory lane, the Musa vs Messi things can’t be forgotten easily. How will you describe that game? What did that game mean to you?
Before the Argentina game, my teammates walked up to me and said 'Musa we dreamt that you scored today' and I said by the special grace of God anything can happen. The game started and we were one goal down and I got the equalizer. Argentina went up again and I got us level, but we eventually lost the game. But I was happy at the end of the game because it is not easy scoring against the best team and Messi.
Would you say you have been very lucky with your career so far?
I have the gift from God and I will always do my magic.
You must be in high heavens to have scored goals that gave CSKA a smooth run in the UEFA Champions League this season?
I have always been lucky winning difficult games. I think the Champions League is one of the best football tournaments after the World Cup, every player wants to play in it. I feel so elated and fulfilled that CSKA is doing well in the UEFA Champions League.
How difficult has it been switching positions at club and national team?
I am a striker but I play as point man in my club. As you can see there are lots of strikers in the national team so I have to return to the wing. I feel comfortable.
I thank God for all I have achieved today. I thought it was a dream but I am happy today it is no longer a dream
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/musa-eagles-will-win-trophies-under-simple-guy-oliseh/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 8:28pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Let's assumed you are to pick between the trio (to play behind the Striker): Moses, Iheanacho and Rabiu - who are you gonna pick?!
Its going to be a very difficult choice but i think at the moment i'll be leaning slightly towards iheanacho considering he's a natural, having played that role superbly before. Although playing moses there is a risk worth taking, it still is a risk.
I don't know, i probably am biased because of my longing to see iheanacho in the national team set up but hey, who isn't? As for Rabiu, my sermon on consistency still stands.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Onazi: Super Eagles Will Get Better
[/size]

By David Meshioye:
Super Eagles assistant captain Onazi Ogenyi has lauded the team's 3-0 win over the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon on Sunday.
Onazi insisted that Super Eagles magnanimous' win over Cameroon will go a long way to build team confidence as Nigeria attempt to return to winning ways in both AFCON and World Cup qualifiers, which begin in November.
“Great game guys. We can only get better and better, with God all things are possible. Safe trip back, guys," Onazi tweeted on Monday.
The Lazio midfielder further expressed confidence in the ability of the team to turn things around and book a place in next year’s AFCON despite picking four points from two matches.
Super Eagles returned to winning ways Sunday night in Brussels as they thrashed the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon 3-0 in a friendly match played at the 11,000 capacity Stade Monde Matchens.
Efe Ambrose, Moses Simon, and substitute Odion Ighalo were the goal scorers for the Eagles who gave a better display compared to what they offered last Thursday when they were pipped 2-0 by the Leopards of Congo DR.
The Eagles scored a goal in the first half and added two more in the second 45 minutes to record a morale-boosting win over one of their fiercest rivals on the continent.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-super-eagles-will-get-better/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
[size=14pt]
Kanu Hails Super Eagles After Cameroon Victory
[/size]
[img]http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/kanu-congratulates-super-falcons-awc-crown/[/img]
Nwankwo Kanu has hailed the performance of the Super Eagles in their victory against the Indomitable Lions of Cameroon on Sunday.
With goals from Efe Ambrose,Odion Ighalo and Moses Simon the three-time African champions recorded their second win under the tutelage of new coach Sunday Oliseh.
The former Super Eagles captain said Nigerians are happy with the result after an uninspiring display in their loss to Democratic Republic of Congo.
"Congratulation Oliseh and the team, well done boys for making Nigeria proud.
"We all are happy, just keep winning," the former Arsenal star tweeted on Monday.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/kanu-hails-super-eagles-after-cameroon-victory/

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:

Its going to be a very difficult choice but i think at the moment i'll be leaning slightly towards iheanacho considering he's a natural, having played that role superbly before. Although playing moses there is a risk worth taking, it still is a risk.
I don't know, i probably am biased because of my longing to see iheanacho in the national team set up but hey, who isn't? As for Rabiu, my sermon on consistency still stands.
grin
But from the look of things; it seems Oliseh doesn't believe Ihenacho is ripened for the Eagles' call up! Even though he's in age bracket with Moses Simon!
I hope he's tried out too, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oliseh chooses to retain Igboun in the position!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:38pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oliseh Dedicates Eagles Win Over Cameroon To “Fans Who Believed”
[/size]

By James Agberebi:
Super Eagles coach Sunday Oliseh has dedicated the team’s 3-0 friendly game win against Cameroon on Sunday to fans who showed their support in spite of all the setbacks.
The Eagles bounced back from Thursday’s loss to DR Congo to trounce their age-long rivals, despite an ugly spat between Oliseh and Vincent Enyeama.
The row led to accusations and counter-accusations from both men and Enyeama retired from international football as a result.
Oliseh wrote on his Twitter handle on Monday: “I dedicate this scintillating victory of the Super Eagles over Cameroon to all ‘true’ Naija fans who irrespective of all the lies believed.”
Goals from Efe Ambrose, Moses Simon and Odion Ighalo sealed the win for the Eagles.
It was Oliseh’s second win since taking charge of the team after defeating Niger Republic in another friendly game.
The Eagles, who are second in their 2017 Cup of Nations qualifying group, will take on leaders Egypt in March next year.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Easyblaze
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oliseh-dedicates-eagles-win-over-cameroon-to-fans-who-believed/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:49pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

grin
But from the look of things; it seems Oliseh doesn't believe Ihenacho is ripened for the Eagles' call up! Even though he's in age bracket with Moses Simon!
I hope he's tried out too, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oliseh chooses to retain Igboun in the position!
Coach Sunday Oliseh believes so much In Nacho. He is only being patient with his call up. Remember, he even said Nacho and one other player that fainted on the pitch while he was still with Olympiacos in Greece, whats that his name? Where ripe for world cup. He has never hidding his love and admiration for the dude. Very soon Nacho and co will get their call up, if fit and consistently play for their Clubs. For now, I see no need rushing the guy. My opinion though.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2015
Orkpekyandega:

Coach Sunday Oliseh believes so much In Nacho. He is only being patient with his call up. Remember, he even said Nacho and one [b]other player that fainted on the pitch while he was still with Olympiacos in Greece, whats that his name? [/b]Where ripe for world cup. He has never hidding his love and admiration for the dude. Very soon Nacho and co will get their call up, if fit and consistently play for their Clubs. For now, I see no need rushing the guy. My opinion though.
grin
Michael Olaitan!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:59pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

grin
Michael Olaitan!
Thanks
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 9:08pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

grin
You'd be surprised if i tell you that i also shared oliseh's concern about 3 days ago. Things are different with moses simon, he is a league champion, plays in the champions league and contributed in no small measure to his club winning the league and that has inspired loads of confidence, the same cannot be said of iheanacho. I think thats the difference oliseh sees in them both.

okay what made me change camp?
First off, i didn't want iheanacho in the national team yet because i was thinking short term but since oliseh keeps talking about building a team for the future, it became wise to bring in the conerstone. If you want to build for the future, you should start building the team around iheanacho so that in the next 1-2years we'd begin to enjoy the fruits of this investment.

Talking about sylvester igbonu, he reminds me of a certain babatunde michael, not scared of putting his leg in for the ball. I think his dedication on pitch is admirable.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:11pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Cameroon rout buys Sunday Oliseh time
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/5b/f6/nigeria-training_w1ujb45yf1ja1227btdcrdkg7.jpg?t=-1869250265&w=620&h=430[/img]
The Super Eagles' impressive result in Brussels will go some way toward allaying fears over the capabilities of the new coach in the dugoutCOMMENTBySolace Chukwu Follow on Twitter
To the cynic, Nigeria's result against Cameroon on Sunday had quite a few caveats: Two of the three goals came after the recklessness of Stephane Mbia came to a head early in the second period, it was only a friendly, and that against an Indomitable Lions side that is at its weakest for possibly 30 years.
However, this misses the point.
More than the raw value of the result is terms of team-building, its biggest impact was in lifting the hitherto limp morale of the Nigerian public. Going into next month’s World Cup qualifier against Swaziland (or Djibouti, if you believe in the near-impossible), it was vital to have a positive mental image of the team, to see that they have the capacity to play coherently. It buys Sunday Oliseh that little bit more time, in that time-worn but effective currency called patience.
Much has been made about his Uefa certification, but the worry has always been whether or not he possessed the tools to transmit ideas. This display goes some way to allaying those fears.

Has Nigeria's performance earned Oliseh time with an expectant public?
This is also a bit of a double-edged sword, though. Moderation is a trace element in the Nigerian stratosphere and, with the same unreasonableness with which the DR Congo result was roundly booed, the Cameroon performance will be viewed now as a base level, the standard against which subsequent performances are measured.
Teams under construction rarely exhibit this sort of consistency though; it would not be at all surprising to find the Super Eagles struggle against Swaziland next month. It may be viewed as a retrograde step, but is simply a reflection of the difficulty that comes with team-building.
In that regard, it was a pleasure to see some of the materials recruited for the process begin to look the part. Lively winger Moses Simon was full of running and daring, especially in the first half when he seemed on a mission to take on the entire Cameroon left flank. Some of it was untenably exuberant, and his game still lacks finesse, a fact which made him easier to suss out as the game wore on.
This was not helped by Elderson Echiejile’s ultra-conservative positioning, hanging back rather than moving forward to offer support and open up space for the Gent winger. It seems a distinct strategy by Oliseh; Simon was similarly isolated against Tanzania, with the usually attack-minded Kingsley Madu reined in.

Simon |The winger delivered an eyecatching performance...at least in the first half
He was a lot quieter in the second period, but was on hand to score the game’s second: a swift counter beautiful in its simplicity, complete with a laser-beam ball over the top from Ahmed Musa to find Simon.
It was the sort of pass one might have expected from John Obi Mikel, who was at his controlled best. It is unlikely he will ever be able to seize a high-tempo game by the scruff of the neck, but when Mikel and a football game synchronise on a common wavelength, few produce sweeter melodies. Here, he strummed placidly on his guitar and the Cameroonian midfield danced in the moonlight of Brussels.
He also did not shirk his defensive duties, impressively dropping into the defence line to snuff out a counter-counter after Leon Balogun had brought the ball out of defence. It was quite the sight, Balogun steaming downfield from centre-back, not so much the hot knife as the warm, runny butter off which Cameroon slipped and fell away. It would have been fitting if his pass at the end had come off; the Mainz man was irrepressible, unflappable in defence and accurate with the ball at his feet.
The losses to the team of both Kenneth Omeruo through injury and Godfrey Oboabona through diplomatic red tape may prove to be the proverbial blessing in disguise. Never overly convincing on the ball at right-back, Balogun appears to have found a home at centre-back. For the first time since making his debut for the national team in March 2014, he looked perfectly suited to this level.
The same could be said for Oliseh: finally, he looks like a man who belongs at the helm of the Super Eagles.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4082/editorial/2015/10/12/16232942/nigeria-cameroon-rout-buys-sunday-oliseh-time
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:

You'd be surprised if i tell you that i also shared oliseh's concern about 3 days ago. Things are different with moses simon, he is a league champion, plays in the champions league and contributed in no small measure to his club winning the league and that has inspired loads of confidence, the same cannot be said of iheanacho. I think thats the difference oliseh sees in them both.

okay what made me change camp?
First off, i didn't want iheanacho in the national team yet because i was thinking short term but since oliseh keeps talking about building a team for the future, it became wise to bring in the conerstone. If you want to build for the future, you should start building the team around iheanacho so that in the next 1-2years we'd begin to enjoy the fruits of this investment.

Talking about sylvester igbonu, he reminds me of a certain babatunde michael, not scared of putting his leg in for the ball. I think his dedication on pitch is admirable.
You are awesome dude!
grin
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 9:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:
You are awesome dude! grin
smiley
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 9:23pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
CAF Award: Ahmed Musa targets top prize
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/575268/CAF-Award-Ahmed-Musa-targets-top-prize[/img]
AF Zambia 2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
CAF Award: Ahmed Musa targets top prize
Ahmed Musa backs himself to be Africa best player for 2015
Nigeria captain Ahmed Musa has tipped himself or compatriot Vincent Enyeama to win this year’s CAF African Footballer of the Year Award.
Musa and Enyeama have been outstanding for CSKA Moscow and Lille respectively as well as for the Super Eagles.
They are the two Nigeria stars nominated alongside 35 other players across Africa for the continent’s biggest individual gong.
"I believe either myself or Vincent Enyeama can win the award this time around. We deserve the nomination and I think we are good enough to win it for Nigeria," exclusively Musa told AfricanFootball.com
"I am happy to be nominated for the African Footballer of the Year award again. It's a good thing when one gets such recognition because Africa is blessed with lots of good players.”
It is the third straight year Ahmed Musa has been nominated for the award.
Nwankwo Kanu was the last Nigeria star to be named Africa’s best player in 1999 after Rashidi Yekini (1993), Emmanuel Amuneke (1994) and Victor Ikpeba (1997) won the awards
By Olusola Alao
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/575268/CAF-Award-Ahmed-Musa-targets-top-prize
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by homesteady(m): 9:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
Please when is Nigeria next match, and I thought AFCON qualification is going on? why didn't we play any qualification match?

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by lexyman(m): 9:44pm On Oct 12, 2015
@homesteady ...next month , we should be playing the word cup qualifier against Swaziland .

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 9:45pm On Oct 12, 2015
homesteady:
Please when is Nigeria next match, and I thought AFCON qualification is going on? why didn't we play any qualification match?
we have a world cup qualifier next month. No Afcon qualifier till next year.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:56pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Egypt
Eagles cannot afford to be carried away after spirited win
[/size]

Emenike (foreground) has not scored for Eagles in two years, while Mikel did himself some good with a whole-hearted display
by Samm Audu
A spirited display against Cameroon may have restored public confidence in the Super Eagles, but no one can afford to be carried away that coach Sunday Oliseh has found the magic formula to get the team flying again.
After a week dominated by the clash between Oliseh and Vincent Enyeama and then the disjointed showing and loss to DR Congo, the Eagles could now look forward with more confidence to next month’s World Cup qualifier possibly against Swaziland.
But the celebrations after the win over the Indomitable Lions has to be cautious because the team remain very much a work in progress and even Oliseh would remind you so.
The spirit and commitment of the players on Sunday night could not be faulted as they chased everything and were everywhere against a Cameroon side, who never really got going especially upfront despite parading such class players like Clinton Njie from Spurs and FC Porto’s Vincent Aboubakar.
Team confidence and the belief of the public in the team hit an all-time low after the pathetic loss to DRC and so their latest outing would have gone a long way in lifting their morale and regaining some of the fans’ faith.
Cohesion and tactical discipline will come when they continue to play together.
There were also some very encouraging individual performances – Mikel, Moses Simon, Leon Balogun, Efe Ambrose, Sylvester Igbonu and Odion Ighalo.
And youngster Wilfred Ndidi and Shehu Abdullahi have moved a step forward in the full international setup after playing for the U20s.
But it remains a major source of concern for the team that Emmanuel Emenike has now gone two years without a goal for the Super Eagles.
He still fights for the team, but for someone who proved to be the man to get the goals for the Eagles at the 2013 AFCON to now be going through such a long-drawn drought cannot bode well for either him or the team.
Probably, the coach now has to look elsewhere for a marksman.
Why not Ahmed Musa as the Eagles top striker?
He set a new goals record of 18 goals in the Nigeria league with Kano Pillars in the 2009/10 season before he left for Europe and over the years he has proved he knows his way to goal, at last year's World Cup as well as in both the UEFA Champions League and the Russian Premier League.
He could use his jet speed to outrun any defence and only needs quality supply from midfield to do damage.
Some are already quick to suggest he was subdued against both DRC and Cameroon probably because of the additional responsibility of being team captain.
But who can question the strong mentality of a player who has endured the winter in Russia and racism to become one of the top stars since he moved there in 2012?
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/575260/Eagles-cannot-afford-to-be-carried-away-after-spirited-win
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:01pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Nigeria
Ahmed Musa promises improvements by Eagles
[/size]

Ahmed Musa led Eagles to big win against Cameroon
Skipper Ahmed Musa has promised the Super Eagles will improve in subsequent matches after they beat Cameroon 3-0 in a friendly in Brussels Sunday night.
"It was a very good game for us. We did well and it served the purpose because we are gradually coming back to the team Nigerians want us to be, which we also want to be, we understand ourselves better being a new team. We all put in our best to achieve the result," Musa told AfricanFootball.com
The CSKA Moscow forward told AfricanFootball.com that the victory is for fans of the Eagles.
"The victory is for the team's fans for always being there for us. They should keep supporting us as we will keep working hard to make them and the entire country proud," he said
Ahmed Musa played for 79 minutes before he gave way to Arsenal youngster Alex Iwobi.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/575169/Ahmed-Musa-promises-improvements-by-Eagles

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.