Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249277 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:04pm On Oct 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Enyeama Has Reached Super Eagles ‘Point Of No Return’
[/size]

By Nurudeen Obalola:
There is absolutely no doubt that Vincent Enyeama is one of Nigeria’s best goalkeepers ever. That is if he is not the best.
He has won Nigeria tough games basically on his won, rescued the Super Eagles from the brink of disgrace on several occasions, and won pretty much everything a Nigerian player can hope to achieve on the international stage.
At this moment, no goalkeeper from the whole of Africa comes close to the Lille star, and Nigerians should be proud to call him their won.
But there comes a time in a man’s life when he has to take a tough decision and see it through.
Unfortunately, now is that time for the incredibly talented Enyeama to quit the Super Eagles.
Of course, considering his glittering career and his commitment to the Nigeria cause, Enyeama should exit in a blaze of glory, carried shoulder high by adoring admirers.
After 13 wonderful years and a record 101 caps, Enyeama should be celebrated, sent off with fanfare.
After all he did for the Super Eagles, Enyeama should not be retiring under a cloud, after an ugly row with the coach, Sunday Oliseh.
But his retirement might just the best thing to come out of all the ugliness of the past few days.
Even as the Nigeria Football Federation is making moves to reconcile Enyeama and Oliseh, a line should be drawn on how far this peace moves go.
Enyeama MUST stay away from the team so long as Oliseh remains Super Eagles head coach.
You don’t go back to work in a company after insulting and assaulting the CEO and resigning in anger. Not if that CEO is still at the company.
It doesn’t matter if you had a case or not, the point is you can no longer work with that same boss.
While Enyeama didn’t exactly insult or assault Oliseh, it is obvious their relationship is damaged beyond repair. They can NEVER work together again. At least not in the Super Eagles.
The major issue from their confrontation is that it was a clash of two massive egos. And one of them had to leave. Something had to give.
The Super Eagles ship can have only one captain. That captain has to be Oliseh, not Enyeama.
Several points have to be considered when proposing a reversal of Enyeama’s retirement.
First, would he accept Ahmed Musa as the captain over himself? By all accounts, the appointment of Musa as captain was the catalyst of the whole sad episode.
Enyeama was used to being captain and he was not happy he was removed, so he is not likely to be comfortable playing under Musa as the skipper.
And it is obvious Oliseh will not change his mind and re-appoint Enyeama as captain. If Oliseh was forced to do that, how would Musa feel? Wouldn’t Oliseh appear to be a weakling who had no authority over his own team?
Second, Oliseh appears to have taken to Carl Ikeme as his first choice goalkeeper, and the Wolves player has been spotless so far. Would he drop Ikeme for Enyeama? If he didn’t, would Enyeama come out of retirement only to sit on the bench for a keeper he knows he is clearly better than?
Third, would Oliseh be able to reprimand Enyeama again without the keeper feeling he is being victimised for his past misdemeanour? Would Enyeama be able to raise genuine concerns without Oliseh feeling the keeper is just being naughty?
Fourth, if Enyeama were to return, would Oliseh trust him not to sabotage the team? There have been several occasions where Nigerian players have been suspected to have forced coaches out by not going full throttle at games, so that they can lose and get the coaches sacked.
This probably happened when Oliseh was playing and was alleged to be a key member of a powerful player ring. So, would he trust Enyeama not to lead a revolt against him?
The truth is, having Enyeama back would affect the team’s fragile balance.
Oliseh has apparently settled for Musa as his captain because the CSKA Moscow man will not question his authority, and the other players should fall in line and follow their captain’s example.
Oliseh himself was a fiery captain who fell out with the authorities and even the media, and he was seen as arrogant and confrontational.
Obviously, he knows how difficult it is to handle such a captain, and he probably suspects Enyeama is like himself.
Enyeama and Oliseh are two men who have more similarities than differences, and it is human nature for opposites to attract. These two are too much alike and divorce seems to be the best option.
Talking about their clash is a bit of a minefield that one has to tiptoe around. It has divided Nigerians and some have very strong opinions about who they support.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-has-reached-super-eagles-point-of-no-return/
.....Continue in the next article
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2015
.....Continue from the last article
[b][size=14pt]
Enyeama Has Reached Super Eagles ‘Point Of No Return’
[/size]

There is no middleground with some on this matter, you’re either for one or against the other.
No matter how you approach it, even when you have no horse in this race, you will be accused of bias.
But the truth must be told.
Oliseh and Enyeama are wrong. Neither of them is blameless.
As the boss, Oliseh has every right to appoint his own captain, but he could have handled the situation a bit better.
Enyeama also has a right to have issues with being removed as captain. But he went about it the wrong way.
However, it is understandable that both men were in an emotional state at that point in time on Tuesday night. Still, they could have been more mature about it.
Enyeama had just buried his mother so he was not in the best frame of mind.
Oliseh, on the other hand, was severely short-handed, with seven players unable to join his preparations for the DR Congo friendly. He is a man under enormous pressure and every little disruption to his plans could bring out the worst in him. If you have ever worked under pressure before and you have to deliver, you will understand Oliseh’s predicament.
Enyeama should not have insisted on speaking when Oliseh told him not to, while Oliseh should never have involved the hotel’s security staff. Enyeama wasn’t going to beat him up in the presence of the other players, was he?
But the biggest gaffe, for me, has to be Enyeama’s Instagram post the day after the whole situation.
Apparently, the intervention of the senior players and Nigeria Football Federation officials had calmed things down and Enyeama was still going to be a part of the team.
But that Instagram post just BOOM blew everything up! It was the hand that removed the pin from the grenade and led to a massive explosion. It was the finger on the trigger. Social media was definitely NOT the mature way to go under those circumstances.
With insinuations of being threatened with humiliation (being stripped naked) and the mention of disrespect to his late mother, Enyeama crossed the line to the ‘point of no return.’ (There is a spot on Goree Island in Senegal on the banks of the sea, where once captured Africans reached, they were bound for the plantations of the Western world as slaves. Once you got to that spot, there was no going back; it’s the ‘point of no return.’)
Oliseh was forced to reply and make an attempt to clear his name, especially about Enyeama’s dear mum. As expected, Ol9seh denied ever disrespecting the woman (May her soul rest in peace), and right there was the end of any chance of reconciliation with Oliseh.
Oliseh and Enyeama are two hot-heads who cannot work together in the same team.
The best thing is for them to be allowed to go their separate ways.
Obviously, one of them had to go for peace to reign and avoid a toxic atmosphere to fester in camp.
The one that has left is the one who has gone far into his Super Eagles playing journey and was not far from the end anyway.
The one who remains is the one who has just begun his coaching journey.
Let us wish these two great Nigerian sportsmen the best in their separate sojourns.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/enyeama-has-reached-super-eagles-point-of-no-return/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:28pm On Oct 11, 2015
.....Continue from the last article
[b][size=14pt]
Who wears the crown after Enyeama exit?
By Tana Aiyejina
[/size]
Others
There are several other fantastic keepers in the local scene, who could make a claim to the number one position in the Eagles.
Joshua Enaholo made a dream move from newly-promoted MFM to Premier League leaders after being made first choice at the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. Despite a shaky start that saw him concede some cheeky goals in the 4-2 defeat to Brazil, Enaholo rose in confidence afterwards. He is currently behind great keepers like Thomas, Ejiogu and Moses Ocheje at the People’s Elephant, but learning the tricks of the game under the trio could further enhance his potential as a world-class shot stopper.
Akwa United’s Olufemi Kayode has been impressive in the domestic topflight this season and is famed for his penalty saving heroics. Warri Wolves’ Okiemute Odah has also been very consistent in the league while ex-Eaglet Bassey Akpan, on loan at Abia Warriors from Bayelsa United, has gradually risen as one of the country’s best after a stint in the Vietnamese league.
Aside being the best goalkeeper at Trinidad and Tobago 2001, Akpan made his senior debut in 2010, coming on as a late substitute in the 5-2 win over DR Congo. He was also Nigeria’s number one goalkeeper at the 2010 WAFU Nations Cup.
IfeanyiUbah’s Chidiebere Eze received a call-up in March to the Eagles after some astonishing outings; and the 22-year-old could get a recall, if he maintains his form.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/who-wears-the-crown-after-enyeama-exit/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
I’m sorry, Enyeama begs Nigerians, holds meeting with NFF
[/size]

Vincent Enyeama
By Tobi Aworinde
Nigeria’s most capped footballer, Vincent Enyeama, on Saturday, apologised to Nigerians for the controversy surrounding his exit from the Super Eagles.
The goalkeeper, on Thursday, following a clash with the coach of the national team, Sunday Oliseh, had announced on Instagram that “I am out of the team. I am no more available for international duties.”
Oliseh on Tuesday had stripped Enyeama of the captaincy of the Super Eagles and handed it to CSKA Moscow forward Ahmed Musa, forcing the Lille keeper to end his international career in controversial circumstances.
The goalkeeper, on the social networking site, alleged insults to his late mother as well as being thrown out of the national camp by hotel security in Verviers, Belgium.
But the coach, while debunking the claims on Friday, expressed sadness over Enyeama’s retirement from the national team, which he said had turned many fans against him, following the team’s 2-0 loss to Congo in a friendly on Thursday night.
Enyeama, on his Instagram account on Saturday, however, expressed sombreness, saying he was “humiliated,” which led him to quit the national team.
“Who would be happy after just burying your mother that carried you nine months in the womb and suffered for you day and night, jumping on a six-hour plane to represent your fatherland only to be stripped of the captainship and humiliated at the first meeting in front of everyone after serving the nation for 13 years?
“I have honoured about 99 per cent of the national team’s invitations, no matter where the match is played. Anyway, my decision to quit the national team is for the best interest of the nation. I don’t want to be the reason that Nigerian football house is divided.
“I want Nigeria to get back up to where it belongs. It’s a professional decision made for the blessing of the nation. I am very sorry for being the reason that all these things are happening. God bless Nigeria,” he said.
Meanwhile, there were indications on Saturday that the Nigerian Football Federation President, Amaju Pinnick, held talks with Enyeama in Brussels, Germany, in a bid to convince the veteran player into changing his mind about his sudden exit from the Super Eagles.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/im-sorry-enyeama-begs-nigerians-holds-meeting-with-nff/
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 11, 2015
38' Nigeria 1 vs 0 Cameroon
Goal: Ambrose
Assist: Mikel
60' Nigeria 2 vs 0 Cameroon
Goal: Moses Simon
88' Nigeria 3 vs 0 Cameroon
Goal: Ighalo
Assist: Echiejile

Sunday Oliseh is the right choice for the Eagles. He's working dedicatedly and very committed to the cause!
He's not after Money rather "Success and Glory" of the Team!

4 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
Am not watching. Hope our players are playing fine?
I foresee Mikel Scoring in this match.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria International Friendlies Nigeria
Spurs back on track for Moses Simon - report
[/size]

Nigeria star Moses Simon
EPL side Tottenham Hotspur are back tracking Nigeria international Moses Simon, according to media reports.
The performances of Simon for Gent have caught the attention of the London club's scouts, according to Daily Mail.
They are back on his trail after a string of impressive performances.
The winger, who has four caps for Nigeria with a goal, scored seven goals last season as Gent won a historic Belgian league championship and set up Depoitre for the winning goal in the Belgian Super Cup.
Tottenham and Liverpool wanted to sign Simon when he was a teenager, but he opted to train with Ajax Amsterdam instead before he signed for Trencin in Slovakia.

africanfootball.com//news/575034/Spurs-back-on-track-for-Moses-Simon-report

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 8:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
I sincerely hope we'll give props to Oliseh. Aside the scoreline, there is tactical discipline in this team. He's up to something.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 11, 2015
joseph1013:
I sincerely hope we'll give props to Oliseh. Aside the scoreline, there is tactical discipline in this team. He's up to something.
Some fans who are condemning him presently will soon glorify his name!
When he was appointed; they said he's the best shot for the Eagles, he's a Nigerian Pep! But because of Enyeama issue, he becomes a poor Tactician.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 10:09pm On Oct 11, 2015
For me, the positives from today's match are too many i dont know where to start.
First off, this is the kind of match victor moses would usually take the side backs to the cleaners seeing that super eagles had a definite pattern which was the use of wings unlike last match that was played without a clear pattern. This was the same thing i was trying to tell basco*** the last time but he seemed so obssesed with the notion that i knew nothing about football so i decided to let him clown.

For me, moses simon was the star performer. Take away his goal and i will still tell you i am most impressed by his performance. Even when his dribbles were been intercepted, he still was unfazed by the sight of that left back. That is the kind of confidence a winger should have. The fact that he is just 20(?) makes it even more mouth watering, his confidence level was top notch. His goal was also spectacular, it tells he watches and learns from the best. Normally, any average player would place that ball where there was more space and thats what the goalkeeper expected, but Ajala tricked him, same way messi tricked neuer for his first goal against bayern last season.

Mikel...mikel...mikel. Give me this kind of performance for 1 football year and claim your African best(too bad he didnt even make the 37man list.) I mean, seeing Super eagles convert set piece isn't a scene we're conversant with but we saw it today. Super eagles weren't hitherto a counterattacking team but i sense thats about To change. I think the mikel - onazi partnership will soon spark.

Our defence was much more coordinated save for one or two occassions where there was miscommunications. I think Ikeme needs to talk more, he seems a little bit timid. Consider that catastrophic back pass from ambrose, the only thing you'd see is lack of communication. As a goalkeeper, the moment you leave your line, you need to alert your centre backs. Ambrose didn't raise his head before giving that pass(which is also wrong) and Ikeme didn't communicate the fact that he was coming to make a clearance. I think that should be sorted out.

All in all this was an improved outing and i give props to Oliseh. My advice is that he keep working on our passes. I was impressed by the fluidity of our passes but he still needs to improve.
I wasn't of this notion before but now i see it, Iheanacho's spot in this team is still untouched.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:58pm On Oct 11, 2015
Honestly, I gotta give it to Oliseh and the team................ Absolutely brilliant!!!

**couldnt watch the game but have read the reports**

And one thing pointed out was An impressive kind of tactical discipline. #reallygood

This team can only keep getting better.... Believe me when I say that "the Egyptians" would be stunned at this result by Nigeria.

I can't wait to see Oliseh gradually beef up this team in certain areas. I think in addition to The outstanding Moses Simon, a player like Iheanacho will bring even more dynamism to our attack (which was quite impressive today no doubt).... Emenike was not "it" today.

In defence, The return of Omeruo and Oboabona will up the "ante" there. But hey! Good job done by Balogun and Ambrose.
At leftback, Echiejile was shaky. Madu may be young but he can give a good fight to elderson.

Impressive performance. Tactical discipline as cited in the reports I followed was key.

Breaching a defence that has the likes of Chedjou, Bassong and Nkoulou "3 times" is "NO SMALL ACHIEVEMENT" but shouldn't be over-celebrated.

They also had Top Fc porto striker, Vincent Aboubakar, Tottenham's Clinton Njie, Moukandjo(the beast) and Stephane Mbia.

Kudos to Nigeria. The positives are much I tell you.

MIKEL OBI IS ALWAYS THE BOSS!!! THAT GUY IS JUST GOOD... CLASS IS INDEED PERMANENT.
*smiles*

CONGRATS NIGERIA!!!!! GOOD TO KNOW WE'RE BACK.......
*smiles*

joseph1013:

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:05pm On Oct 11, 2015
He has a lot to learn in man-management. Hopefully, for the sake of the team he gets better in that aspect.

But his tactical brilliance and match reading analytical skills/abilities are pretty top notch. Come on now, Oliseh didn't get "the highest coaching license in Europe" by being dull.... He has an analytical mind for the game being played on the pitch. I give him that.......*smiles*

I wanna see him build coolly on this coz a lot of Egyptians must be wondering how much better we can get..... *smiles* And we will get better...

God bless The Super Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
adeyemi2015:

Some fans who are condemning him presently will soon glorify his name!
When he was appointed; they said he's the best shot for the Eagles, he's a Nigerian Pep! But because of Enyeama issue, he becomes a poor Tactician.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 8:11am On Oct 12, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Honestly, I gotta give it to Oliseh and the team................ Absolutely brilliant!!!

**couldnt watch the game but have read the reports**

And one thing pointed out was An impressive kind of tactical discipline. #reallygood

This team can only keep getting better.... Believe me when I say that "the Egyptians" would be stunned at this result by Nigeria.

I can't wait to see Oliseh gradually beef up this team in certain areas. I think in addition to The outstanding Moses Simon, a player like Iheanacho will bring even more dynamism to our attack (which was quite impressive today no doubt).... Emenike was not "it" today.

In defence, The return of Omeruo and Oboabona will up the "ante" there. But hey! Good job done by Balogun and Ambrose.
At leftback, Echiejile was shaky. Madu may be young but he can give a good fight to elderson.

Impressive performance. Tactical discipline as cited in the reports I followed was key.

Breaching a defence that has the likes of Chedjou, Bassong and Nkoulou "3 times" is "NO SMALL ACHIEVEMENT" but shouldn't be over-celebrated.

They also had Top Fc porto striker, Vincent Aboubakar, Tottenham's Clinton Njie, Moukandjo(the beast) and Stephane Mbia.

Kudos to Nigeria. The positives are much I tell you.

MIKEL OBI IS ALWAYS THE BOSS!!! THAT GUY IS JUST GOOD... CLASS IS INDEED PERMANENT.
*smiles*

CONGRATS NIGERIA!!!!! GOOD TO KNOW WE'RE BACK.......
*smiles*

Good one-also missed d match. So i have little to say.
going by fans analysis-i think t time Emenike is drop for a better player(success or o.martins) we can't keep having hope in uncertainty(2 yrs of goal drought) no, we've waited enough...
Anyway Kudos to the team.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 10:04am On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]OLISEH HAS 'CLEAR DIRECTION' HAILS NFF BOSS[/size]

NFF president Amaju Pinnick has praised Super Eagles Sunday Oliseh after the team bounced back to dump bitter rivals Cameroon 3-0 in a friendly in Belgium.

Oliseh and the team came under fire back in Nigeria after they lost their first friendly in Belgium to DR Congo.

The coach also would not have endeared himself to Nigerians after his major falling out with Vincent Enyeama.

Nigeria dump bitter rivals

But on Sunday night, they raised their game to soar above the Indomitable Lions in fine style.

"I must say that I am very impressed with the performance of the Eagles. It was a good game,” Pinnick told AfricanFootball.com

"I am sure Nigerians were impressed with what they saw. But we have not got there, there are still some areas that we need to touch but we should all keep supporting the team because the coach seems to have a clear direction of where he is going to.

"He is still building a team. And he knows who to add to the team because we do not have a say on who he invites to the team."

Pinnick said Efe Ambrose’s opening goal – a header off a Mikel free kick – was straight from the training ground.

“All the goals no one was a fluke. Fortunately all the training sessions that I watched, like the first goal Efe Ambrose got, I saw them do that over and over again," he said.

Oliseh will now switch attention to the CHAN qualifier against Burkina Faso on Sunday in Port Harcourt, where the home-based Eagles have been training since last week.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 11:10am On Oct 12, 2015
joseph1013:

Pinnick said Efe Ambrose’s opening goal – a header off a Mikel free kick – was straight from the training ground.

“All the goals no one was a fluke. Fortunately all the training sessions that I watched, like the first goal Efe Ambrose got, I saw them do that over and over again," he said.

Good to hear eagles are practicing set pieces, quite calming. These days matches are won to a large extent by set pieces. Check clubs like bayern and madrid, these guys score a lot of goals and make scoring so easy because most of their goals come through set pieces.

we've always been on the receiving end of dangerous set pieces, conceding annoying goals through them, now its time to turn the table around and take it to our opponents.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:18am On Oct 12, 2015
Honestly, I'm feeling the excitement again...............
**This is one international break I wanted to see end quickly because of the Oliseh/Enyeama palava and the loss to DRC, who were "lucky" they played us "just" when they did coz our morale was down b4 that game**

I remember saying on Sir Joseph1013's thread(it's closed now) on Sunday's Oliseh reign that with the Right players played in the right positions by Oliseh based on the Abundance of fine talents (young but daring and super talented AND "old" but experienced and relevant), Nigeria stands on the threshold of a return to Greatness soon enough......

We can go on to reclaim the Afcon in 2017 "when or if" we qualify........

The team is starting to flow with Oliseh's brilliant tactical philosophy but they should keep it coming coz the focus is to be "truly" World beaters again....

Based on my Observations, I think the line-ups below may be Nigeria's Best or Strongest 11 as TIME GOES ON..........(Pls I do this without sentiments but based on my personal keen observation).........

I present 2 options on the 4-3-3 formation.....

Option A: 4-3-3

Carl Ikeme

Balogun. Omeruo. Oboabona/Ekong/Ambrose Ech/Madu

Onazi. Mikel

Iheanacho

Musa. Moses Simon

Ighalo

Subs/Back-ups: Alampasu, **another Gk**, Victor Moses, Emenike/Obafemi Martins, Isaac Success, Igbonu, Rabiu Ibrahim, 1 of Echiejile/Madu, Chima Akas, Shehu Abdullahi, Musa Mohammed, and a few others as seen in subs/back-ups for Option B.

Option B: 4-3-3

Carl Ikeme

Balogun. Omeruo. Ekong/Oboabona/Ambrose Ech/Madu

Onazi
Mikel

**Iheanacho/Igbonu

Victor Moses. Simon Moses

**Iheanacho/Ighalo

Note: In option B, We can have Igbonu in AMF behind Nacho or we can have Nacho in a dynamic AMF role just behind Ighalo (I think I prefer the latter).

BIG NOTE: But again I LOVE the forward line of VicMoses/Iheanacho/Simon Moses. Maybe an Igbonu/Rabiu will have to join Mikel and Onazi in midfield.
*SMILES*

Subs/back-ups: Alampasu, **Another Gk**, Rabiu Ibrahim, Isaac Success, Obafemi Martins, Ahmed Musa, 2 of Ekong/Oboabona/Ambrose, Shehu Abdullahi, Musa Mohammed, Iwobi, Esiti, Nwankwo O., Awoniyi, 1 of Echiejile/Madu, Wilfred Ndidi(versatile as a Central defender or DMF), Chima Akas, Emenike, Usman Mohammed, Musa Yahaya, Ifeanyi Matthew, Gbolahan Salami, and a host of others.

Sidenote: I believe Kenneth Otigba based in Holland (I think?) can add to the defence also. He's a tough-tackling central defender and can be a good sub. Hope he's eligible.

BIG Question: Ahmed Musa is the "Skipper" and thus must start every game. But who should actually be preferred "bombing down" that right flank while Moses Simon does "his thing" on the left??

Victor Moses OR Ahmed Musa??

This is the "question" putting the Captain's Armband aside for now......

In the current setting, Musa "HAS TO START" No matter what, after all he's Captain and a fine player too.

But really, who would you prefer on "THAT RIGHT FLANK"? AHMED MUSA or VICTOR MOSES?

My take: I prefer Victor Moses but that might not happen coz Musa is "Captain". So Musa to start and Moses to come later and do some "more damage" with his skills, drive and pace.

FINAL DROP: THIS IS A GOOD TEAM WITH A TACTICALLY SOUND COACH (but hey! His manager skills still need some "Big work" **winks**) AND THE "SUPER EAGLES" CAN GO ON TO BE WORLD-BEATERS AGAIN AND AFRICA'S NO.1 AGAIN IF THEY FOLLOW OLISEH'S KEEN TACTICAL PHILOSOPHY TO THE LETTER.....

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.............................

GOD BLESS THE SUPER EAGLES.................

*smiles*

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 11:29am On Oct 12, 2015
^^^^

What I was thinking while Simon was playing well yesterday. Musa in my own opinion is not as good as Victor. But for a captain to be a captain, he has to play very regularly for his team. It's a lacuna. I can only hope that Musa would use that as an impetus to pleasantly surprise us with his very consistent performances.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 12, 2015
AIG07:
Good one-also missed d match. So i have little to say.
going by fans analysis-i think t time Emenike is drop for a better player(success or o.martins) we can't keep having hope in uncertainty(2 yrs of goal drought) no, we've waited enough...
Anyway Kudos to the team.

Ighalo is more better than th duo you mentioned!
He's a cool finisher! Good in the air and not bad with both legs either!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 12:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Ighalo is more better than th duo you mentioned!
He's a cool finisher! Good in the air and not bad with both legs either!
yes, Ighalo is a cool finisher no doubt about that n i'm not saying he should be drop. But e.emenike should be drop from d team for the mean time. O. Martins s in form presently n u can't take experience away from him. While success is more or less a goal poacher. But t seems u've not been following d MLS league-martins still got those killer touches.*smiles*
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:46pm On Oct 12, 2015
AIG07:

yes, Ighalo is a cool finisher no doubt about that n i'm not saying he should be drop. But e.emenike should be drop from d team for the mean time. O. Martins s in form presently n u can't take experience away from him. While success is more or less a goal poacher. But t seems u've not been following d MLS league-martins still got those killer touches.*smiles*

I don't know what Obagoal did to NFF o. I mean America is not the best soccer playing country in the world but to turn a blind eye at the best striker in their league is borderline illegal. I think he is one of the few designated players who don't play for their national team. This season he has scored a goal in every match. I mean the guy would have to have an attitude worse than Balloteli for a coach to warrant not inviting him. This was my argument even 2 years ago I tire o!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2015
This is a role i've been reserving for iheanacho but in his absence, i think moses might be able to fill it - a much more delightful free role.

Lets take barcelona for instance, they play with a traditional two wingers(messi and neymar) and rafinha behind suarez. Few weeks ago, Rafinha was injured, creating a little hole behind the striker, guess what Enrique did, he played three wingers, drafting messi to play behind suarez in a free role. Sandro(a striker) was forced to play the wings(it should have been pedro only that he's currently wasting his talent in chelsea.) So we have three wingers playing the same match at the same time. Messi was given the priviledge to roam, shutling between the AM role and LW role.

I'm proposing this same pattern for Super eagles. With moses given the free role. It should be noted that whilst moses is a good winger, he lacks enthusiasm when defending(an important ingredient of a modern day winger and one of the reasons mou keeps loaning him). What i'm proposing is a formation where musa and simon play the wings and moses is allowed to roam. How does this work? When we lose the ball, our wingers fall back to help the defence while moses draws back just a little to the centre line. When we intercept the ball, it should immediately be fed to moses who roams to the wing(Moses is strong and can hold up play) while the two wingers instead of running to the wings, run into the opponents 18yard box to wait for a cross(moses is also a better ball Crosser than musa.)

There is one catch though, we need an agile box to box midfielder who can always fill the AM role when moses drift to the wing(i'm siggesting Onazi.) The role of this box to box midfielder is to wait for rebounce. Anytime moses' crosses gets blocked, he can always latch on to the rebounding ball.
Another catch is that when onazi leaves his spot in the DM, his partner(mikel) should be disciplined enough to always stop any incoming counter attack.

Advantage of this formation is that we have 4very fast players leading our attack( ighalo, musa, moses and simon) which means that our attacks would be fast and over before the opponent realizes what hit them. We also have wingers who support the the full backs. The formation is also very flexible considering almost all the players in that attack can play more than one role. When we are just throwing passes in the opponent's half trying to find an opening, moses would be playing behind the striker, dribbling and creating space(like messi and silva) while simon and musa would be the wingers, but when we are counter attacking and we need a winger who can take on defenders, moses becomes that winger while musa, ighalo, and simon waits for cross in the box and onazi(Much like yaya toure, waits for rebound.) Onazi should work on his shot, it shouldn't be too much that it would fly over the bar and it shouldn't be too soft that the gk would easily pick.

3 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 2:42pm On Oct 12, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

I don't know what Obagoal did to NFF o. I mean America is not the best soccer playing country in the world but to turn a blind eye at the best striker in their league is borderline illegal. I think he is one of the few designated players who don't play for their national team. This season he has scored a goal in every match. I mean the guy would have to have an attitude worse than Balloteli for a coach to warrant not inviting him. This was my argument even 2 years ago I tire o!
u're right. They've not been given him regular call-ups since 2011... Which might be due to hatred from d glass house as u have indicated above. He could have gotten closer to 35 record goals set by yekini but for reason best known to them Siasia,keshi(invited him once)have refuse to bring him into d fold and now oliseh....
What amuses me most is that his goals are always nominated weekin weekout for d best goal award.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
AIG07:

Martins is already peaked and aged...... though he's presently in good form, but he's not needed in the Team. Oliseh's philosophy is to build a young (future) Team, hence Isaac Promise is more qualified than Martins.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 12, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Obafemi is simply an unfortunate Player as far as Eagles' call ups are concerned! But it's already late for him, cos he didn't fit Oliseh's philosophy!
The oldest Player in the current Super Eagles is 29yrs old. The Team's Captains - Musa, Onazi and Omeruo are 22yrs old respectively thus a 30yrs old Player isn't needed anymore!
Isaac Success and Taiwo Awoniyi could be drafted into the fold instead of inviting Martins.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 3:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:

Advantage of this formation is that we have 4very fast players leading our attack( ighalo, musa, moses and simon) which means that our attacks would be fast and over before the opponent realizes what hit them.
I really appreciate your input on the attacking line! Moses can easily roam and enjoy the No. 10 role! The fluidity and rhythm would be unstoppable for any Team if they are well managed and utilized.
Cameroon couldn't cope with our Wingers, and had Ighalo started the Game, they would have got their name well spelt out with the rain of goals!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:00pm On Oct 12, 2015
Isaac Success you mean??

*smiles*

adeyemi2015:

Obafemi is simply an unfortunate Player as far as Eagles' call ups are concerned! But it's already late for him, cos he didn't fit Oliseh's philosophy!
The oldest Player in the current Super Eagles is 29yrs old. The Team's Captains - Musa, Onazi and Omeruo are 22yrs old respectively thus a 30yrs old Player isn't needed anymore!
Isaac Promise and Taiwo Awoniyi could be drafted into the fold instead of inviting Martins.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by joseph1013: 4:02pm On Oct 12, 2015
[b][size=14pt]Sunday Oliseh gets a boost as Nigeria impress in rout over Cameroon[/size]

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/1012/fc_as_mikel_1296x729.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img]

Sunday Oliseh and his Super Eagles responded to their 2-0 defeat by Congo in the best possible way, hammering arch rivals Cameroon 3-0 on Sunday.

This was not just about the scoreline but the smoothness of the performance, the control and the tempo. With slightly better finishing, this could have been even uglier for the Indomitable Lions.

Here are a few observations from the game ...

-Oliseh gets timing right

For the first time since taking over, Oliseh had the luxury of a week to train with his players. Prior to the away game in Tanzania, he had two days. Before the DRC game, he had three -- two of which were compromised by the distraction of his confrontation with former captain Vincent Enyeama.

With a few more days of focused training, the result was clear to see. Oliseh is changing the way the team play; making them quicker and exploiting the wide areas with the pace and skill of Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon.

Against the DRC, the passing and combinations improved, albeit at a lower tempo. But it was still a shade better than the first two games. The team may have lost but they controlled the game and limited the opposition to four shots at Carl Ikeme's goal.

Unfortunately, two of those went in, helped by errors from a makeshift back four cobbled together in near desperation. Time and patience is what's needed as Oliseh gets to know his side.

-Need for speed

For the last couple of years, one of the big deficiencies in the Super Eagles' play has been their speed on the break. Picks and interceptions invariably petered away to another spell of laboured build ups. Results were ground out, but the play was dire.

Simon's goal, however, was a perfect example of how to take advantage of an opponent caught overloading in the wrong area -- it took just over six seconds for Simon to score for Nigeria following a Cameroon corner.

-Variety

That also brings up something else of interest. All three goals illustrated the variety of Oliseh's philosophy.

The first, Efe Ambrose's opener, was the result of a well-executed set piece. The second came from Simon following that rapid-fire breakaway and the third courtesy of Odion Ighalo after a spell of possession, complete with diagonal movement and sharp, cross field passing. Cameroon had no idea where the ball was until they were picking it out of their net.

-Mikel, Balogun and Emenike impress

In the two games of this tour, John Obi Mikel has proved a class act. He sparkled in the first game, then dominated Stephane Mbia so much the Cameroon captain ended up getting sent off in frustration. When he is good, he is imperious and totally invaluable for Nigeria. His passing, economy of movement, ball shielding and vision is second to none. If only he could shoot.

Elsewhere, Leon Balogun made errors when forced from right-back into central defence against DRC but one game later, the regulars might have to watch their backs. Tackles, clean and timed to perfection, aerial dominance, excellent reading of the game, interceptions, bringing the ball out of defence -- he did it all.

Emmanuel Emenike took flak for his performance but to his credit, he bullied the Cameroon defence with his pace and power, softening them up for Ighalo's arrival late on.

-The future

Oliseh has a talented crop of youngsters at his disposal, with the likes of Alex Iwobi, Simon and Shehu Abdullahi all seen as stars of the future.

This is a team being rebuilt from the ground up. It will be a long process and might involve some setbacks like against DRC, but Oliseh is in it for the long haul. Once again, patience is required.

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/football-nigeria/206/post/2659104/sunday-oliseh-bounces-back-as-nigeria-thrash-cameroon[/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 4:15pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

I really appreciate your input on the attacking line! Moses can easily roam and enjoy the No. 10 role! The fluidity and rhythm would be unstoppable for any Team if they are well managed and utilized.
Cameroon couldn't cope with our Wingers, and had Ighalo started the Game, they would have got their name well spelt out with the rain of goals!
the key to unlocking stubborn defence is creativity and that is what iheanacho will bring in the future, but for the time being, this formation, if it works, will not only solve the problem of what best wing combination to use, it also solves our long standing problem of finding a creative player behind the stricker.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 12, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Isaac Success you mean??

*smiles*

grin grin
Thanks for the correction Boss!

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 12, 2015
adegwurulez:
the key to unlocking stubborn defence is creativity and that is what iheanacho will bring in the future, but for the time being, this formation, if it works, will not only solve the problem of what best wing combination to use, it also solves our long standing problem of finding a creative player behind the stricker.
Iheanacho is more a Striker now, but he can also play as a right Winger or a supporting Striker.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:00pm On Oct 12, 2015
joseph1013:
It was such an encouraging performance. I never expected them to score 1, 2, 3 goals. You know now, even when CMR was 1 man down, S. Eagle in Stephen Keshi's era may still not score like this. Oliseh is for something. Sure^
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by AIG07: 7:18pm On Oct 12, 2015
adeyemi2015:

Isaac Promise and Taiwo Awoniyi could be drafted into the fold instead of inviting Martins.
*smiles* nigerians are always funny.
If u say o. Martins s old den what 'll u say about Pirlo(d professor), fletcher, keane, ronaldo, buffon etc who are already in their 30s but still represent their countries.
U don't just drive/send away d oldies cos u get a dynamic n prospective young talents in a team.
Their presence boost team morales,brings fear into d opponents n their experience can't just be ignored. They may not start matches cos de're aging(by the way martins plays 90min of football week in week out) but can come off d bench n change games.
so having one, two or three of them in a team of 23 won't be bad but will rather make the team stronger

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.