Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,533 members, 7,823,317 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. - Sports (65) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. (249159 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa 2019 AFCON Qualifiers: 0 - 2 (Full Time) / Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / Super Falcons of Nigeria Thread: 2015 Women's World Cup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:12pm On Nov 20, 2015
Hahahahahahaha............ Ok o..... Continue. Diaris Oluwa et Chukwu.
*smiles*
TheGoodJoe:

I only Waka Come.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 1:17pm On Nov 20, 2015
This is an article I found when Sunday oliseh was appointed as the coach shey now u can see that westerhoff doesn't mean well for the oliseh 1st of all he wasn't fit for the job now he is winning and gradually changing the eagles u say we may not qualify with oliseh if this article was about nacho dem go say na pessimism no p oh kontinue.........

Sunday Oliseh Not Fit To Coach
Nigeria's Super Eagles - Former
Technical Adviser, Clemens
Westerhof
According to the Dutchman, Oliseh,
his former player, lacks the technical
capability to lead the team, especially
in this crucial time given the sack of
former coach, Stephen Keshi. He
also maintained the NFF is
committing a blunder by hiring a
greenhorn coach who does not have
the requisite experience to handle
the team.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:19pm On Nov 20, 2015
Haba! E don do na.... Abeg.....*smiles*

I get what you're saying ok. But you're looking at the literal meaning of westerhof's statements.

TheGoodJoe is looking beyond the literal and trying to communicate the "hidden contextual message" in Westerhof' words.

Please, let's understand where we're all coming from ok.

Galaxy cup?? Hahahahahahaha....... Abeg, make una no kill me with laughter here.

Hahahahaha...... *smiles*

Tomtoxic:

u have not been able to justify his words oh u kip on happing on his person OK explain if u watched the match and other matches since oliseh began explain y oliseh might not qualify us and explain the no sign of improvement bullshit that oga westerhoff said.
this issue is not about who westerhoff is or what he has done but what he said so when quoting me don't bring the he won us d galaxy cup line

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2015
Tomtoxic:

u have not been able to justify his words oh u kip on happing on his person OK explain if u watched the match and other matches since oliseh began explain y oliseh might not qualify us and explain the no sign of improvement bullshit that oga westerhoff said.
this issue is not about who westerhoff is or what he has done but what he said so when quoting me don't bring the he won us d galaxy cup line

I brought up the Coach's history because that is the height he expects Coach Oliseh to have us playing.

Are you saying that you have seen signs of improvement in Coach Oliseh's game? Even Oliseh admits the team did not play well in both halves.

You do not even get how good we can be. We are not ready to go to the World Cup and dominate teams like Argentina and Spain.

We need to see strides of improvement. We need to see teams scared to play Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:28pm On Nov 20, 2015
Sir, you and I know Westerhof is entitled to his opinion not only as a human or football follower/observer but as Nigeria's greatest and most successful Football manager and coach.

He was simply harping on Oliseh's inexperience as with some others did at the time of "this news article"

BUT EVEN AS THAT, IT'S ALL UP TO OLISEH TO "SHUT UP" THAT SIDE OF WESTERHOF.

Oliseh has to prove Westerhof wrong. I pray he does but Westerhof won't "really" wish the team failure and is entitled to his opinions.

*smiles*

Tomtoxic:
This is an article I found when Sunday oliseh was appointed as the coach shey now u can see that westerhoff doesn't mean well for the oliseh 1st of all he wasn't fit for the job now he is winning and gradually changing the eagles u say we may not qualify with oliseh if this article was about nacho dem go say na pessimism no p oh kontinue.........

Westerhof
the team.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:30pm On Nov 20, 2015
Tomtoxic:

Westerhof
the team.

I do not know about you but anyone who knew my stance when Amaju Pinnick appointed Coach Oliseh knows it is not far or different from Coach Westerhof's stance.

Coach Oliseh had no single experience. His appointment was a blunder for a country that is suppose to aim for the apex of the game.

If you expect Coach Westerhof to praise such mediocrity, then you are wrong.

I am standing behind Coach Oliseh because he will do everything in his power to make the team win. Just as he risked his life with acute typhoid to coach the team. Coach Oliseh wants this team to succeed badly and I believe his passion and dedication can lead us to success.

It does not mean he was the right choice, or even close to it. He is our coach now and his success is Nigeria's Success.

Westerhof coached Nigeria with perfection, it is only right for him to expect that from the coaches and the NFF.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 2:18pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Sir, you and I know Westerhof is entitled to his opinion not only as a human or football follower/observer but as Nigeria's greatest and most successful Football manager and coach.

He was simply harping on Oliseh's inexperience as with some others did at the time of "this news article"

BUT EVEN AS THAT, IT'S ALL UP TO OLISEH TO "SHUT UP" THAT SIDE OF WESTERHOF.

Oliseh has to prove Westerhof wrong. I pray he does but Westerhof won't "really" wish the team failure and is entitled to his opinions.

*smiles*

being entitled to opinions doesn't mean some opinions are correct na.anyway all am saying sha is that his opinion of oliseh are sounding too hateful and if he can't be optimistic I am entitled to opinion of shutting him up b4 oliseh does that
thank u sir

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 2:29pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I do not know about you but anyone who knew my stance when Amaju Pinnick appointed Coach Oliseh knows it is not far or different from Coach Westerhof's stance.

Coach Oliseh had no single experience. His appointment was a blunder for a country that is suppose to aim for the apex of the game.

If you expect Coach Westerhof to praise such mediocrity, then you are wrong.

I am standing behind Coach Oliseh because he will do everything in his power to make the team win. Just as he risked his life with acute typhoid to coach the team. Coach Oliseh wants this team to succeed badly and I believe his passion and dedication can lead us to success.

It does not mean he was the right choice, or even close to it. He is our coach now and his success is Nigeria's Success.

Westerhof coached Nigeria with perfection, it is only right for him to expect that from the coaches and the NFF.
u still haven't pointed out the part of d article were u saw constructive criticism or how scoring from set pieces which was totally absent in the world cup isn't an improvement or how a win against Swaziland equals failure to qualify for the WC ........ so till den ....
thank u sir

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:41pm On Nov 20, 2015
Tomtoxic:

u still haven't pointed out the part of d article were u saw constructive criticism or how scoring from set pieces which was totally absent in the world cup isn't an improvement or how a win against Swaziland equals failure to qualify for the WC ........ so till den ....
thank u sir

I went as far as explaining to you of a father telling a son not to celebrate making Cs in his papers and you are still asking.

If a father tells his son that he is not impressed by the good grades, is the father being destructive or constructive?

He is saying Coach Oliseh should not celebrate Beating Swaziland 2-0. He is being Constructive. Before the article, I actually forgot the standard we should aim for. Please if you take the message in the right context, he is being constructive.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:58pm On Nov 20, 2015
But he's not being "hateful". Please, I beg of you to understand what Westerhof is "truly" driving at.

Centrally, he's saying what I said after the Swaziland game which is:

"We beat Swaziland.... Yeah, but this is no news at all. We were expecting a victory. Let's not overcelebrate but move on to bigger matters and challenges. We need to produce the "Cameroun" performance, and even better than that, game after game. Why?? Because we're THE SUPER EAGLES and we got the Squad to do that........."

This, I believe is another way of looking at Westerhof's point and where he's coming from exactly. My Dad did the same to me but that didn't make him "destructive" in criticism.

Even when I brought home Straight A's, My Dad looked at the Scores and not the grades. He wanted me to realise that I can always improve on my last performance and shouldn't feel "proud" I made a 75 for A when I could make a 100. *smiles*

It's just like me celebrating I topped my class with a 60/100 in a Maths test. When I know that to work @ NASA or the CERN one day, I need to step up and start making 90s and 100 regularly as confidence boosters that I can actually compete or hold my own with the best in the world.

So Sir, this is exactly the "scenario" playing out here in Westerhof's short interview.

Please, feel pissed at him no more for he means well...........*smiles*

Tomtoxic:

being entitled to opinions doesn't mean some opinions are correct na.anyway all am saying sha is that his opinion of oliseh are sounding too hateful and if he can't be optimistic I am entitled to opinion of shutting him up b4 oliseh does that
thank u sir

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 7:43pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Contrary, I do not see scoring from set pieces as the height of brilliant coaching. I use Guardiola as a standard model for understanding brilliant coaching. Not Mourinho who I think Coach Oliseh adores.

Most of Guardiola's goals come from creative team play. Goals from open play.

Celebrating set pieces as the height of tactics is not a sign of brilliance.

Look at this video to understand what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=helPJ9Eo0Po
as a coach coming into a 'dysfunctional' team, the first thing to do is to check areas where the team is lacking and try to fix it. Prior to oliseh's appointment, the eagles were lacking in the areas of setpiece so seeing the team excel effortlessly in setpiece tells you of the coach's recognition of a primary problem in his team. If that isnt a thing to applaud him for, i dont know what is.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 7:53pm On Nov 20, 2015
joseph1013:

You do not think that the manner of execution shows tactical brilliance? The manner the free-kicks from the games with Cameroun and Swaziland were scored showed some striking resemblance. It's even more striking because they were played by two different players (Mikel, Igboun), yet you'd think it was the same person if you dont take a closer look. I dont think it's luck. I say that was perfected in their training sessions.
after the cameroon game, pinnick confessed he saw the team practice all the goals and i pointed out it was nice that oliseh has noticed a missing part of our football.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:00pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:
as a coach coming into a 'dysfunctional' team, the first thing to do is to check areas where the team is lacking and try to fix it. Prior to oliseh's appointment, the eagles were lacking in the areas of setpiece so seeing the team excel effortlessly in setpiece tells you of the coach's recognition of a primary problem in his team. If that isnt a thing to applaud him for, i dont know what is.

Did I say Coach Oliseh did not do a good job with the team and does not deserve an applause for the improvement in our set pieces?

I said you can not use accurate set pieces to tag a coach as brilliant. Brilliant tacticians like Villas Boas at Porto had his team scoring freely. Just like Guardiola at Barca and Hynckes at Bayern Munich.

You judge tactical brilliance by how a team scores in open play.

Think of the best coaches like Arrigo Sacchi, Fabio Capello, Johan Cruyff etc. It is how freely their teams scored goals that we use to know how tactically sound the coach is. Not set pieces.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 9:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Did I say Coach Oliseh did not do a good job with the team and does not deserve an applause for the improvement in our set pieces?

I saod you can not use accurate set pieces to tag a coach as brilliant. Brilliant tacticians like Villas Boas at Porto had his team scoring freely. Just like Guardiola at Barca and Hynckes at Bayern Munich.

Think of the best coaches like Arrigo Sacchi, Fabio Capello, Johan Cruyff etc. It is how freely their teams scored goals that we use to know how tactically sound the coach is. Not set pieces.
i disagree with you. While brilliant set piece in itself can not be used as the sole yardstick to judge a coach's technical ability, it takes a technical coach not only to recognize a team's deficiency, but to fix it. I'm a barcelona fan and i enjoyed guardiola's free flowing football but this is africa where free flowing football alone cant guarantee you the 3 points. Guardiola's barcelona with all its free flowing football still failed to crack a stubborn chelsea and a defensive inter milan. In africa, especially against smaller oppositions that employ more bodies in defence, any technically gifted coach will recognize the importance of setpiece.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by justiz5(m): 9:40pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheSuperNerd:
Thank you Sir Goodjoe. Well said.

So suddenly Onobi is a "threat" to Mikel. **smh**

I wonder why Nigerians have short memory. They just hate Mikel.

Truth be told ok, Onobi is a decent talent. Had a fairly good game (only stepped up in the second half but was in "total" ghostmode in the first half) in my own books but please, let no one tell me he can boss a game like Mikel when we face "quality opposition".

For crying out loud who's Swaziland?? Who's even Djibouti that the Swazis beat?? Let's stop overblowing this victory and focus on pressing matters ahead.

**see how Fans swarmed the PH pitch as if we just won a world cup** No disrespect to Swaziland but I was sure of victory. It was the Manner of victory that concerned me. How can I have sleepless nights because of Swaziland? Haba!!!!

I wonder why people make it look like we had a chance of losing to the Swazis. Like seriously??

Oliseh has a fine pool of players to choose from and with his tactical intelligence and soccer philosophy we can keep getting better and better.

But he should not kid himself thinking it's a midfield three of Onazi-Onobi-Igboun that will overcome the slippery Egyptians or see us through the Final round of the 2018 Fifa Worl
d cup qualifying series.

Oliseh should please be wise and careful. I don't wanna miss Afcon 2017 and Russia 2018. Abeg. Biko.

If you don't want Mikel, fine!!!! Drop him!!! But make sure his replacement comes good.

As for me, I know Mikel is the best we got for now.

The quality replacements for Mikel aren't matured yet. Yeah, they're here but are still young and need more exposure. Top talents like Usman Mohammed of Nigeria's U-23s and Chile 2015 Golden ball winner, Kelechi Nwakali come to mind as Talents for the future in the No.10 and central midfield roles (and even defensive if needed). Even Musa Yahaya in the no.10 role is still young.

Even a Kingsley Sokari can be considered as with a few others.

But for now...... Kai kai kai....... Na Mikel o.. Truth be told. Let wisdom rule here o and not overzealous thinking.

I rest my case.

**smiles**

Now @TheSuperNerd, what is bad about Onobi becoming a threat to Mikel's position in the national team? Will it not psychologically inform Mikel and other players to sit up or loose their chances to the most hungry and younger players in the team?

You said I have a short memory, and that I hate Mikel Obi. Sir I am suprised at your conclusion.

If I open up on some of the e-wars I have fought for my love and Support to Obi you won't believe.

I just wish you did allowed a positive mind set to over shadow your conclusion, as I have always known you for and followed your posts.

Same as the GoodJoe.
I still remain royal.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by Tomtoxic: 9:45pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

I saod you can not use accurate set pieces to tag a coach as brilliant. Brilliant tacticians like Villas Boas at Porto had his team scoring freely. Just like Guardiola at Barca and Hynckes at Bayern Munich.

when u quoted me u refused to admit seeing improvements these were ur words
" Are you saying that you have seen
signs of improvement in Coach
Oliseh's game?"
but now u say u have seen improvements in set pieces bros are u simply confused or u want to blindly defend ur legend.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:11pm On Nov 20, 2015
**puts hands on head**

Goodness me! Sir, I wasn't even referring to you. Gosh!!! I didn't even have you in mind.

Hmmm..... Let's see. I did say "Nigerians" have short memory. I used "they just hate Mikel" but please o..... Abeg! I no carry you for mind o.

I was speaking broadly when I used the term "Nigerians". I just re-checked and I can see that the "whole misunderstanding" of me associating you with hate or short memory stems from the fact that "that post" was one which quoted Sir Goodjoe's post which in turn had quoted you earlier.

So naturally, you'll think I was referring to you. Abeg o! Kai!!! Ema bi nu o.... But SERIOUSLY I NEVER HAD YOU IN MIND "AT ALL". I simply wrote based on things observed and matters raised outside this "thread" but in relation to the Super Eagles.

Honestly *cross my heart* I was speaking in the light of the many news articles and fans' reactions on other platforms post-swaziland game.

Please, don't get it twisted ok. *smiles*

P.S: Imagine my surprise when I checked my mentions and saw this.......... Gosh!!! I was like.... "Oh no, someone just misplaced a piece"

I hope we're clear now. *smiles*

justiz5:

Now @TheSuperNerd, what is bad about Onobi becoming a threat to Mikel's position in the national team? Will it not psychologically inform Mikel and other players to sit up or loose their chances to the most hungry and younger players in the team?

You said I have a short memory, and that I hate Mikel Obi. Sir I am suprised at your conclusion.

If I open up on some of the e-wars I have fought for my love and Support to Obi you won't believe.

I just wish you did allowed a positive mind set to over shadow your conclusion, as I have always known you for and followed your posts.

Same as the GoodJoe.
I still remain royal.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:12pm On Nov 20, 2015
Tomtoxic:

when u quoted me u refused to admit seeing improvements these were ur words
" Are you saying that you have seen
signs of improvement in Coach
Oliseh's game?"
but now u say u have seen improvements in set pieces bros are u simply confused or u want to blindly defend ur legend.

[b]Do you think Set Pieces is improvement in game play? When Pellegrini joined Man City, there was improvement in the team's play from that of Mancini. We scored more and held the ball better.

If you notice, I am pointing out that set pieces is not what you use to judge a coach tactically. If you think winning games with set pieces is what I would highlight, then you do not know me.

I will always rate Guardiola ahead of Mourinho because Mourinho relies a lot on set pieces. Watch his games. A set piece is serious business.

As for Guardiola, crushing his opponents, outplaying them is the most important. The set pieces are bonuses.

I will never point that as improvement. As far as I am concerned, Coach Keshi received a lot ridicule for being a poor coach.

We will improve when I see us doing better than we did under Coach Keshi. For instance, Coach Keshi's 4-0 thrashing of Mali. I will Celebrate Coach Oliseh when he does better things than that. Until then, I will keep believing he can achieve greatness. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:20pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:
i disagree with you. While brilliant set piece in itself can not be used as the sole yardstick to judge a coach's technical ability, it takes a technical coach not only to recognize a team's deficiency, but to fix it. I'm a barcelona fan and i enjoyed guardiola's free flowing football but this is africa where free flowing football alone cant guarantee you the 3 points. Guardiola's barcelona with all its free flowing football still failed to crack a stubborn chelsea and a defensive inter milan. In africa, especially against smaller oppositions that employ more bodies in defence, any technically gifted coach will recognize the importance of setpiece.

For a Barca fan, you need to research more into your team. First of all, Inter Milan. There was a Volcano which caused the Barca team to travel by train to Italy to play Inter. That caused Fatigue of the players and limited time to play.

In the second leg, Barca finally broke Inter Milan's Bus but the referee erroneously cancelled the goal. That season, Barca met Inter Milan four times, Barca won two games, Inter won one and they drew one. To say Barca did not break down Inter is wrong.

As for Chelsea, that is a tight game. Unfortunately, Barca had the game but a Puyol wrong decision caused Barca the game.

If Guardiola meets that Chelsea in ten games, he will win more games. It is as simple as that.

When we talk of tactically brilliant coaches, a park bus set piece coach can never be among the list.

That is why the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona continue ruling.
Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:26pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:

You people, should get one thing straight. Coach Oliseh did not inherit a dysfunctional team. Although we did not qualify, our last three games in the Qualifiers showed the team was good.

We won two of our last three games and drew 2-2 with our group leaders South Africa. We drew home and away with South Africa.

We played in the World Cup and got to the second round.

We played 2-1 with a star studded Uruguayan side who were the South American champions.

That is far from a dysfunctional team. We had enough chances to win the game against South Africa but our strikers messed up.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:40pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:

Finally, the idea of free flowing football can not work in Africa is not true. We had some good free flowing football teams do well in Africa. For instance, the Egyptian side that dominated Africa. They relied more on brilliant exchange of passes than long balls.

Raja Casablanca is a big Moroccan club that plays entertainment football and do well. In Nigeria, Sharks under Coach Monday Sinclair played Amazing football although poor officiating stopped them from amassing titles.

The Super Eagles reigned and dominated African football playing amazing breath taking football.

I remember a foreign commentator talking to another commentator, saying, "Start watching Nigeria play. They are one of the few teams that play real good football.

Even the Nigerian National team of 1980 played good attacking football.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 10:55pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

You people, should get one thing straight. Coach Oliseh did not inherit a dysfunctional team. Although we did not qualify, our last three games in the Qualifiers showed the team was good.

We won two of our last three games and drew 2-2 with our group leaders South Africa. We drew home and away with South Africa.

We played in the World Cup and got to the second round.

We played 2-1 with a star studded Uruguayan side who were the South American champions.

That is far from a dysfunctional team. We had enough chances to win the game against South Africa but our strikers messed up.
Replying this comment would put me at the risk of being grosssly misinterpreted. And note, the dysfunctional was in quote

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 11:07pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

For a Barca fan, you need to research more into your team. First of all, Inter Milan. There was a Volcano which caused the Barca team to travel by train to Italy to play Inter. That caused Fatigue of the players and limited time to play.

In the second leg, Barca finally broke Inter Milan's Bus but the referee erroneously cancelled the goal. That season, Barca met Inter Milan four times, Barca won two games, Inter won one and they drew one. To say Barca did not break down Inter is wrong.

As for Chelsea, that is a tight game. Unfortunately, Barca had the game but a Puyol wrong decision caused Barca the game.

If Guardiola meets that Chelsea in ten games, he will win more games. It is as simple as that.

When we talk of tactically brilliant coaches, a park bus set piece coach can never be among the list.

That is why the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona continue ruling.
you are shifting the goal post to favour you, this is not the bone of contention here. The bone of contention is wether the resurgence of accurate setpiece in the super eagles is a pointer to oliseh's tactical genius and i said yes it is, given the circumstances. Have you not seen tacticians tell their talisman to hold up play deep in the opponent's half to incure fouls and win freekicks? Setpieces are the best way to break stubborn defences, a secret great tacticians know.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 11:20pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Finally, the idea of free flowing football can not work in Africa is not true. We have had some good free flowing football teams do well in Africa. For instance, the Egyptian side that dominated Africa. They relied more on brilliant exchange of passes than long balls.

Raja Casablanca is a big Moroccan club that plays entertainment football and do well. In Nigeria, Sharks under Coach Monday Sinclair played Amazing football although poor officiating stopped them from amassing titles.

The Super Eagles reigned and dominated African football playing amazing breath taking football.

I remember a foreign commentator talking to another commentator, saying, "Start watching Nigeria play. They are one of the few teams that play real good football.

Even the Nigerian National team of 1980 played good attacking football.
nobody is saying it cannot work in africa, i'm an activist for that kind of football, but there is a limit to which it can take you. It is boring, highly boring to jog the ball round the pich and not get a goal. Some times it takes an extra something to get a goal against stubborn teams and to translate from french what i've been saying, that extra something might jus be a freekick or a corner kick.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:31pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:
nobody is saying it cannot work in africa, i'm an activist for that kind of football, but there is a limit to which it can take you. It is boring, highly boring to jog the ball round the pich and not get a goal. Some times it takes an extra something to get a goal against stubborn teams and to translate from french what i've been saying, that extra something might jus be a freekick or a corner kick.

That extra something is not what you use to judge a coach as tactically brilliant. It is how easily he beats his opponents. The team that scores more in open play stand a better chance than a team that relies on set pieces.

If you sometimes find possessive football, boring, what will you say about a negative side that defends and stays behind the ball for 90 minutes.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:39pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:
you are shifting the goal post to favour you, this is not the bone of contention here. The bone of contention is wether the resurgence of accurate setpiece in the super eagles is a pointer to oliseh's tactical genius and i said yes it is, given the circumstances. Have you not seen tacticians tell their talisman to hold up play deep in the opponent's half to incure fouls and win freekicks? Setpieces are the best way to break stubborn defences, a secret great tacticians know.

When a coach tells his creative players to hold up plays and win free kicks, then it means the game is tough. He is relying on using set pieces to find away through.

Brilliant tacticians like the masters Johan Cruyff, Tito Villanova and Ancelotti, go out to crush and outplay their opponents.

A team that can crush an opponent will not need to have players looking for free kicks to win.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:40pm On Nov 20, 2015
adegwurulez:
Replying this comment would put me at the risk of being grosssly misinterpreted. And note, the dysfunctional was in quote

Take your time and speak your mind. If you are misinterpreted, you will clear it up later. We learn from these things. I really would like to hear what you think.

2 Likes

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 11:44pm On Nov 20, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

That extra something is not what you use to judge a coach as tactically brilliant. It is how easily he beats his opponents. The team that scores more in open play stand a better chance than a team that relies on set pieces.

If you sometimes find possessive football, boring, what will you say about a negative side that defends and stays behind the ball for 90 minutes.
a tactically brilliant coach is one who knows what best tactics to use at a particular point to prosecute a match that would guarantee to a large extent his 3points. For instance, a tactically brilliant coach sees that his free flowing pattern isnt working and quickly changes it to what would bring home the 3points. Defending for full 90 minutes is boring, i hope you're not thinking thats what i'm clamouring for. Improving your setpieces isnt the same thing as switching to a defensive pattern.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 12:06am On Nov 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

When a coach tells his creative players to hold up plays and win free kicks, then it means the game is tough. He is relying on using set pieces to find away through.

A brilliant tacticians like the masters Johan Cruyff, Tito Villanova and Ancelotti, go out to crush and outplay their opponents.

A team that can crush an opponent will not need to have players looking for free kicks to win.
good, we are converging. At least you agree with me that even great tacticians may decide to look for set pieces to crack stubborn defences, we are making progress. Now prior to oliseh's reign, we were finding it difficult to convert set pieces, i remember when Nsofor scored a freekick and fans started clamouring for more of him. I'm sure keshi(a very good coach by the way) understood this fact but couldnt fix it. When oliseh came on board, he started working to fix this(as confimed by pinnick when he watched their trainin sessions). This tells you of a coach who already has his tactics lined up and is probably looking for a plan b. I'm not trying to blow oliseh's horn, i'm just sayingwhat a good tactician he is by trying to fix that raging loopholei'm sure even you agree he's a great tactician as according to you, he only lacks experience.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 12:15am On Nov 21, 2015
TheGoodJoe:

Take your time and speak your mind. If you are misinterpreted, you will clear it up later. We learn from these things. I really would liks to hear what you think.
keshi's team that played the confederations cup wasnt the same team in the qualifying series. Our attack in the world cup was blunt, emenike had little support from the wing and could be seen drifting wide, our midfield couldnt link with attack and collapsed after onazi's injury, our defence wasnt tested much but was left exposed the few times it was. After onazils injury, keshi wasnt sure who to bring on and we were told mikel had to make that decision for him. I cant believe you mentioned the south african match, that was the only match in a very long time that made me truly ashamed of associating with eagles. It was as if we were playing bayern. I think the best term to describe a team that has been in it's rebuilding stage for almost 3years is dysfunctional.

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by adegwurulez(m): 12:33am On Nov 21, 2015
have a good night rest

1 Like

Re: Super Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: 2017 AFCON Qualifiers. by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:10am On Nov 21, 2015
adegwurulez:
keshi's team that played the confederations cup wasnt the same team in the qualifying series. Our attack in the world cup was blunt, emenike had little support from the wing and could be seen drifting wide, our midfield couldnt link with attack and collapsed after onazi's injury, our defence wasnt tested much but was left exposed the few times it was. After onazils injury, keshi wasnt sure who to bring on and we were told mikel had to make that decision for him. I cant believe you mentioned the south african match, that was the only match in a very long time that made me truly ashamed of associating with eagles. It was as if we were playing bayern. I think the best term to describe a team that has been in it's rebuilding stage for almost 3years is dysfunctional.

[b]I am not saying the Super Eagles of the last World Cup were world beaters. We were far from it. I am saying they weren't a dysfunctional team. A team that played 3-2 with Argentina who went to the finals is far from dysfunctional.

On like Coach Oliseh's team today, Coach Keshi had a lot of restrictions to allow him tweak the team to deal with the growing problems of injuries. Just like Mikel, the team had some players that carried the team. Onazi was one of them. There is no way the team can operate on the same level when a key player injures. Man City operates on a different level with Silva in the team. With the NFF stopping Keshi from using a large number of the home based boys, a key player must affect the team if he injures.

When Nigeria played Italy in USA '94, when Arrigo Sacchi knew his Italian Super Stars could not surmount the Super Eagles, he signalled his players to cut off their legs. They took out Amokachi and Amunike and we fell like a pack of cards. A lot of people feel France only took out Onazi but Matuidi injured Ambrose earlier who continued with an injury.[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (62) (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) ... (161) (Reply)

Difference Btw Handicap 0:1 And Handicap 1:0 / Official NPFL Thread. (nigerian Professional Football League) / Are World Wrestling Entertainment Fights Real or Just Acting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.