Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,084 members, 7,845,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years (18484 Views)

N2.2tn Debt In One Year: Buhari’s Government Under Attack / Check Your State Domestic Debt Chart- Debt Management Office / Buhari's Govt Incurs N57b Petrol Subsidy Debt -PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by 989900: 9:14pm On May 19, 2015
grandstar:

It can immediately be countered by slashing company taxes to 15%. Also, if government starts to dollarise the oil income paid to the three tiers of government every month, this will reduce interest rates to single digits and there can be a looser monetary policy.

This has the twin effect of encouraging investment and also slashing the cost of servicing the debts owed by the states greatly.

With much cheaper cost of credit, companies can borrow and invest creating lots of jobs.

For instance, if interest rates were low, it will be affordable for people to take out mortgages which will aid a construction boom.

The country needs to grow by 7% to create enough jobs to absorb those entering the labor market yearly. With the above policies, growth will accelerate to 8-10% which will mean that the economy will create more than enough jobs to not only cater to those entering the labor force yearly, but will include the already existing pool of the unemployed and underemployed. Continue with such growth for a few years and the labor market will become tight

Well said, especially the later part. The FG/CBN's monetary policies unless changed, would only make the general population poorer, regardless of how much more money the country makes.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Maghan37: 9:21pm On May 19, 2015
There is nothing wrong in incurring debt as far as it is used for proper development but in the case of Nigeria were there is no adequate power supply, the burgeoning gap between the rich and poor is increasing,W e have no refineries what was the debt used for? javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Empiree: 9:25pm On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
90% of the people that read this article don't know that even to start a small business a man needs to go into debt.
follow him>>>>>>>

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by omonnakoda: 9:28pm On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
90% of the people that read this article don't know that even to start a small business a man needs to go into debt.
NEEDS
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by kmariko: 9:29pm On May 19, 2015
[img][/img].
patrick89:
what is this one saying?
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by patrick89(m): 9:32pm On May 19, 2015
omonnakoda:
my damnation to your wretched mother she will waste to death before your eyes
ugly creatures rant like this! Your dead mother needs you to #bringbackyourbrain you are damn ugly!
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by kipesco(m): 9:35pm On May 19, 2015
Proffdada:
debtor

Proof it with documents and not mere articles.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by omonnakoda: 9:39pm On May 19, 2015
patrick89:
ugly creatures rant like this! Your dead mother needs you to #bringbackyourbrain you are damn ugly!
She will cough and cough and cough.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by patrick89(m): 9:44pm On May 19, 2015
omonnakoda:
She will cough and cough and cough.
ooh no! You scare me now!! You must be yaba left candidate
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by omonnakoda: 9:44pm On May 19, 2015
patrick89:
ooh no! You scare me now!! You must be yaba left candidate
She will not stop coughing
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by patrick89(m): 9:51pm On May 19, 2015
989900:

Naira was one of the world's worst performing currencies of 2014?!!.

It is not topping that chart presently because, it has already fallen. Plus, your charts would not tell you that, you would not get the dollar at N197, rather at N210(interbank) or N220 (parallel).

Foreign reserves are half of the story, UAE, Norway, Canada, Oman and some others have probably less than $80b. However, most gulf countries have their currencies pegged to the dollar for over 20 years or more now.

Nigeria is probably doing better than Venezuela only . . .lol. cheesy
Even Russia and Iran under enormous sanctions have made gains . . . the Rouble has made 20% gain with the 'rising oil prices', akin to saying the Naira now exchanges for N150/$1.

You do not need any google/froogle or anything/body to tell you that your N155,000=$1,000, is better than your N210,000=$1,000 (inter bank rate).

Nor, do you need a soothsayer to decipher importing refined products as an oil producing state is madness!

For the rest, kindly read my comments 2 more times, and get honest . . .
oops! Not this time.... Here is what you want.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by patrick89(m): 9:54pm On May 19, 2015
omonnakoda:
She will not stop coughing
brain schism can make one repetitive! What's the eff with you and cough? Or you inherited that from ya dead mother? You're boring!
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by atlwireles: 9:56pm On May 19, 2015
patrick89:

Nicely done cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Bevista: 10:17pm On May 19, 2015
bushdoc9919:
...And we do not have the diversified economy to fall back on for extra funds.

That is why Nigeria needs to get off oil.
Most of your population statistics, though entirely correct, is no excuse. Brazil produces about the same amount of oil like Nigeria for a population of over 200million, yet they are the 7th largest economy in the world. the US produces 5x the amount of oil like Nigeria, yet oil constitutes an insignificant portion of their GDP.

Yes I agree with you that Nigeria needs to get off oil and diversify the economy like most of these countries. But a diversified economy is not a naturally occurring phenomena like population or oil; it is a product of deliberate planning and strategy.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by caprini1: 10:27pm On May 19, 2015
some people sha,no do summary for school, they must always quote every post of the OP undecided before commenting....SMH

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by WaffenSS(m): 10:41pm On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:

True. But what if instead one borrows not to start a business but to purchase a new phone, eat shrimps, and spend the rest on booze?

That's what the government did: borrowed to finance consumption.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Ikengawo: 10:46pm On May 19, 2015
WaffenSS:

True. But what if instead one borrows not to start a business but to purchase a new phone, eat shrimps, and spend the rest on booze?

GEJ have built multiple new airports, port projects are in the works, federal roads repaired, trains back, etc etc. It's no longer fair to keep saying he was 'consuming' or not doing anything. The campaign season is over and it's time for sober reflection. Unless you believe that Nigeria hasn't added multiple new infrastructural works in the past few years.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Jlow2: 10:46pm On May 19, 2015
the worst of jonas administration is not yet heard, imagine if we had another four years of dis disaster?he will always be remembered as d worst president of nigeria, history will always remind his generations of that.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by 989900: 10:47pm On May 19, 2015
patrick89:

Like I said earlier, read my post twice again, and tell me how your 'undated graph', means anything but a big joke of a response.

The rouble is one of the world's best performing currencies as we speak, making a 20% comeback against the dollar, and 35% against the Euro despite sanctions.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/10/investing/russia-ruble-2015-surge/

And seriously, for you, achievement is having the Naira doing better than war torn Ukrainian Hyrvnia?

P.S. Reading is one thing, comprehension is another.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by lexy2014: 11:00pm On May 19, 2015
chibas:
If only this money was fully utilised nigeria would have been a better place.
My brodaaa....
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by angelsing(m): 11:02pm On May 19, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:
What is lagos and ogun owing. Well following tinubu economic solution 5tr is too small. I guess buhari would quadruple that amount once he gets into office let's face it. Tinubu economic plan as stated in his article is for govt not to peg its expenditure on it income. And if these are buhari's economic advisers, nigerians should expect that figure to quadruple.
hey stop there!...we are talking about our country not lagos...if u want to talk about lagos go and start a thread for that...Op how much u say we dey owe make begin calculate am
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:
i beg to disagree. U dont need to borrow b4 u start a small business. What about the excesses they got from oil price? Gej is terrible.

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by omonnakoda: 11:08pm On May 19, 2015
WaffenSS:

No it is worse like the case of a man that borrowed to marry and his wife deliver an im becile child.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by lexy2014: 11:14pm On May 19, 2015
Ikengawo:

GEJ have built multiple new airports, port projects are in the works, federal roads repaired, trains back, etc etc. It's no longer fair to keep saying he was 'consuming' or not doing anything. The campaign season is over and it's time for sober reflection. Unless you believe that Nigeria hasn't added multiple new infrastructural works in the past few years.
GEJ didn't build "multiple new airports". FG thru stella oduah only renovated FG owned airports, facelift per se. D airports built during his tenure were built by state govts. What port projects are u talking about and were are they sited? When I heard about d "new" trains, I was xpecting 2c smthin novel. But I went 2 ikeja recently via oshodi and I saw d "new" trains. Alas, I recognised them. D same model I boarded in 1998 while travelling from kano 2 zaria. Actual fact, d trains have always been around. They never went anywhere

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by rabson23: 1:55am On May 20, 2015
JingoOAU:
Thanks to my ancestors that Jonathan never got re-elected, our great grand children's future would have been affected

It still baffle me up till now for some elements who are sympathiser of GEJ to believe the man is a saint, role model and corruption free...I am very sure they knw within themselves that GEJ reeks corruption, but they dare not say it out...isn't that cowardice?

Their belated line of answer has always been that corruption or stealing never start with GEJ administration and if we have to talk of stealing, we should also talk of OBJ....very awful and incongruous statement

Even if your children's children future are being mortgaged, what matters to you lots is asslicking

In future, your children will all curse you for remaining silent and letting their future to go bleak
true talk my brother
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by WaffenSS(m): 7:09am On May 20, 2015
Ikengawo:

Take the quantum of funds sourced from crude sales, IGR (Customs, FIRS etc), and borrowings over 6 years.

Now compare those trillions with the federal projects. Do they tally? Of course not!

Thats because the bulk of our earnings were channeled towards a self destructive consumption mentality.

No industry was revived, no new ones established. Certainly changing airport furniture and giving the terminal a new lick of paint does not equal to "transforming" the aviation industry.

So yes, GEJ spent a few billions on a few questionable projects. But the bulk of the earnings and borrowings were both pilfered and wasted.

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by joyli: 7:10am On May 20, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

Ishilove:
They sucked us dry in this country. Vampires.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by latestjobsng(m): 11:16am On May 20, 2015
So many things actually went down in this administration
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by patrick89(m): 11:42am On May 20, 2015
989900:

Like I said earlier, read my post twice again, and tell me how your 'undated graph', means anything but a big joke of a response.

The rouble is one of the world's best performing currencies as we speak, making a 20% comeback against the dollar, and 35% against the Euro despite sanctions.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/10/investing/russia-ruble-2015-surge/

And seriously, for you, achievement is having the Naira doing better than war torn Ukrainian Hyrvnia?

P.S. Reading is one thing, comprehension is another.
omo the date is their for you to see, ukraine are in war, while nigeria are in peace right? What about sweden? Didn't you see that too, what about norway? Ooh Rubee had a come back despite the sanctions I agree, russia have what it takes to strengthen their currency. Their economy is already diversified so you shouldn't use their recovery to judge nigeria. Nigeria have no other source of income. I was pointing out how oil price slump has affected the currency in the international market. The rubee recovery was as a result of their vibrant domestic market and nothing more..

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Eruditor: 12:27pm On May 20, 2015
patrick89:
see analysis.. Did you know when minimum wage was increased? Did you know when bokoharam insurgency appeared? Did you know how much ASUU, Labour unions that demanded increment in their wages!

Go and sit down somewhere!

Minimum wage was increased 2011. BH insurgency existed since 2009 at least and GEJ did nothing about it till 2015. ASUU and Labour unions had demanded increases since 2009 and GEJ the liar and hopeless failure had acceded to their demands but never actualized it.

ASUU in 2013 required 9B to settle their grouse for the strike but GEJ turned a deaf ear to them and instead offered 7B to be used to organise the fraudulent CONFAB. SLS and the NGF headed by Ameachi where the one's instrumental in fixing the ASUU issue with commitments from the SWF and from CBNs pocket. Had nothing to do with Mr.clueless and the 52% of the budget he controls.
Re: Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years by Eruditor: 12:29pm On May 20, 2015
patrick89:
amechi led group sued Fg and okonjo, forcing them to share it and they did!!

Puerile garbage. A group of people have a joint account yet every now and then the money in the account keeps dwindling. What will you do if you were one of the members of the joint account?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Police Recover N18mn, $ 19,000 In Goje’s House, Says 2017 Budget Not Seized / Abiola: 'Jail Babangida' - I Go Dye Writes Buhari / President Tinubu Seeks Senate Approval For Fresh $8.6billion, €100million Loans

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.