Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:13 AM

5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... (43920 Views)

5 Ways To Keep Your Home Safe When You Travel For christmas / 5 Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia / 12 Types Of People You Meet When Travelling By Bus In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by 400billionman: 7:31am On May 30, 2015
Oba of Benin comes out once a year.

Is he in prison, doesn't he travel abroad or goto market ? Make una dey lie with intelligence..
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 7:37am On May 30, 2015
tpiadotcom:

You are in a hurry to type.

Alaafin Lamidi ascended the throne in 1970. He was born in 1938.

So when did he "try"?

Adesiji only died July 3rd 1980 , trust me it was in Ibadan not long after his ascension he had let "the Alafin is greater than all" get to his head he was discipled in the presence of all kings gathered , let's just leave it at that.

The throne of the Alafin is faultless and I don't items to soil it because someone else might take this and use it to arm his person .
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 7:38am On May 30, 2015
400billionman:

Is he in prison, doesn't he travel abroad or goto market ? Make una dey lie with intelligence..

That is the price he pays for stewardship. He is not allowed to leave his palace as part of tradition
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by fellory: 7:41am On May 30, 2015
DahtzFestjayz:
Where is Elemure Of Ekiti?

its Elemure of Emure Ekiti
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 7:45am On May 30, 2015
VISTIN:
Lovely outfit.

Let them remove some fetish attachments to this traditional rulership, we enjoy our people.
Prestige

That would be almost impossible, trust me even kings who tried to be devout Christians find their legitimacy at the stools of dieties with the request for rites and appeasement
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by juman(m): 7:48am On May 30, 2015
The tourists should rather go to kwara state.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 7:52am On May 30, 2015
akpumping7720:

Blame poor education and lack of exposure on the part of the Alafin. Adesoji Aderemi dines with the who is who during the colonial era and he was made the Governor of Western Region. But Historically, Alafin is the head of all Obas in the whole of Yoruba Land.

Personally I am starting to lean more in that direction but not certain yet, it is impossible to deny that Aderemi wealth and influence made him above shoulders with other kings, the respect showed to him till today is yet to be replicated as Awolowo rightly said during his burial ceremony.

He influenced SW and Nigerian politics beyond what he gets credit for. I guess that wealth, influence and the wisdom to apply it rightly done him wonders
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Revolva(m): 8:06am On May 30, 2015
What about the attah of igala......the agaba idu..the conqueror of the benin empire
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by pure2012soul(m): 8:08am On May 30, 2015
OONI OF IFE

In South-west Nigeria, Ife is one with a rich heritage. Therefore, the post of Ooni of Ife is very reputable. His Royal Highness, Alayeluwa, Oba Okunade Sijuwade is the holder of this enviable position. He was born on 1st January, 1930 and attained the position of Ooni in 1980 (35 years on the throne).

[/quote]
Endeavour to get your facts right.
This man can never be compared to the Alaafin of Oyo in terms of political clout and historical relevance.
At least you did not make the blunder of including Oba Lagoon I
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Oyiridiya1(f): 8:14am On May 30, 2015
Pls Onitsha is not the capital of Anambra but Awka. Thank you
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sagaciousblog: 8:19am On May 30, 2015
400billionman:

what is he gonna do at the market
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by mayorrlad(m): 8:37am On May 30, 2015
Jovago:
They are powerful and revered. They consider themselves to be the next in command after God. Hence, their orders are supreme. Interestingly, their reign is throughout their lifetime. In other words, it is hereditary. So don’t be surprised if hear that a traditional ruler in Nigeria is as old as 90 years or beyond! Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 Hotel Booking Portal identifies five first-class rulers amongst many others from every part of the country.

OBI OF ONITSHA

Onitsha is the capital of Anambra state and also one of the commercial cities in the Eastern heartland. His Royal Highness Obi Igwe Nnayelugo Alfred Nnaemeka Achebe is the Obi of Onitsha and the Chairman of the Anambra State Council of Traditional Rulers. He has spent about 14 years on the throne. He was born on May 14, 1941.

OBA OF BENIN

This is perhaps one of the most sacred and highly respected traditional rulers in Nigeria. His Royal Majesty Omo N’oba N’Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Erediauwa, the 38th Oba of Benin Kingdom. The revered monarch took over the throne on March 23, 1979. He comes out only once a year during the Igue festival which is one of the most important festivals in Benin. He was born on June 22, 1923.

SULTAN OF SOKOTO

The Sultan of Sokoto is the spiritual leader of Muslims in Nigeria and the traditional ruler of Sokoto caliphate. He was born on August 24, 1956 while he ascended the throne on November 2nd, 2006. Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar IV is the 20th Sultan of the Caliphate founded by Uthman Dan Fodio.

The new Sultan of Sokoto, Saad Abubakar, also the spiritual leader of Nigeria's Muslim, sits on his throne during his coronation ceremony in Sokoto, Northern Nigeria, March 3, 2007.

EMIR OF KANO

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is a very popular and outspoken figure in Nigeria. Before he became the Emir of Kano, he was the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). On 8th June, 2014, he was announced as the Emir of Kano after the demise of Ado Bayero by the Kano state government. The Emir is a respected voice in Kano and in Nigeria as a whole.

OONI OF IFE

In South-west Nigeria, Ife is one with a rich heritage. Therefore, the post of Ooni of Ife is very reputable. His Royal Highness, Alayeluwa, Oba Okunade Sijuwade is the holder of this enviable position. He was born on 1st January, 1930 and attained the position of Ooni in 1980 (35 years on the throne).

Jigbini bi ate akun... Onirisa!!!
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by akpumping7720(m): 8:51am On May 30, 2015
saxywale:

In your household shey. Alaafin can't even challenge the soun or olubadan, the Chairman of the Council of Obas and Chiefs in Oyo State is rotated between the three thrones...
Oga park well. Why mention my 'Household' in this issue? Am I discussing my 'Family' issue here. Never in your life quote such rubbish again.
Back to the topic: when Alao Akala decided to look down on the Alafin by rotating the Chairman of the Council of Obas what happened to him at the end? Does he have any relevance in Oyo State Politics again? Did he not plan to join APC so as to be more relevant? Who gave him the authority to place iku baba yeye under any oba. Pls if u don't know 'History' try to learn. Even the Oni of Ife dare not look down on the Alafin talkless of Awujale of Ijebu or Onibadan. As far as history is concerned. Alafin remains the Paramount ruler of Yorubaland. Oni is the 'Custodian' of all the deities in yorubaland.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by emmylight4u: 8:51am On May 30, 2015
Where is Atah OF IGALA?
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 8:53am On May 30, 2015
Heheheheheh oba akinolu of the lagoon, na common tout na,how he wan make the list? Way this hungry boys way day wear white and green day respect am. Even this yoruba hungry boys way day do like say them sabi...lol hungry oba, his title suppose be oba akinolu one of hungry land. Hungry ruler
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by akpumping7720(m): 9:04am On May 30, 2015
nas00:
These days, people can hardly tell their left from their right. Can one blame them?

Yet often, the empty barrels make most noise. See them agitating for recognition! undecided

That said, how could you compare Oònirìsà (literally: Ooni the Oracle) to 'Aláse èkeji òrìsà' (literally: Commander, next-in-command to the Oracle)?

If you know that the full title of the Ooni of Ile-Ife is Oonirisa, you will then understand that he himself is the deity. Your Alaafin can only be second to him, as his title parlance implies.

Realize that Ile-Ife is the source of the Yoruba race. Oduduwa's descendants left ile-Ife with crowns to go establish kingdoms and rule all over yorubaland. These kingdoms include those of the great Oba of Benin, Alaafin of Oyo, Olowu of Owu Kingdom, Alaketu of Ketu, Orangun of Ila, Onisabe of Sabe and Olupopo of Popo. It was from these initial kingdoms that all the Obas you know today sprang.

Memory verse: Ile-Ife is supreme, and the stool of the Ooni is higher than any other in yoruba land.

If you choose to respect the Alaafin or even Olubadan more than the Ooni, no problem. It's entirely your right to choose who to respect. But historically, the fact is what i've stated. Ego-massaging get us nowhere. Let's say the truth as it is..always!

A yoruba proverb says "the Okro plant cannot be taller than than its planter/ harvester".. Alaafin's stool is the Okro, while Ooni's is the planter/ harvester wink

Cheers!
Oga, don't mix things up here by distorting history. Ooni isn't the deity himself. He is the 'Custodian' of the deities. Ooni isn't among the seven children of Oduduwa. He was the son of one of the slaves appointed to be in charge of the deities at Ile-Ife. The Old Oyo empire is the capital base of the Yoruba kingdom. When they call someone 'Iku baba yeye' in Yorubaland; Alase ikeje Orisa; it has a significant meaning.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Chuksgeo: 9:21am On May 30, 2015
Onitsha is not the capital of Anambra state, however it is the largest commercial city in the region, also I would have voided this news had the Obi of Onitsha not made the list, so OP take note
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by yussuf739: 9:43am On May 30, 2015
Where is Alaafin Oyo, iku baba yeye,,, alase ekeji orisa,,. Op ur list is not yet complete ooo
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by ethicalUser(m): 9:55am On May 30, 2015
nairamaniac:
na your head remain to complete the number. beware of new benin and ringroad.
ThankGod say I Don relocate
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by nuradeen011(m): 10:02am On May 30, 2015
How it take concern the price of fuel. Anyway the heaven speaks through them becouse they are influencial and powerfull
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by nas00(m): 10:03am On May 30, 2015
akpumping7720:

Oga, don't mix things up here by distorting history. Ooni isn't the deity himself. He is the 'Custodian' of the deities. Ooni isn't among the seven children of Oduduwa. He was the son of one of the slaves appointed to be in charge of the deities at Ile-Ife. The Old Oyo empire is the capital base of the Yoruba kingdom. When they call someone 'Iku baba yeye' in Yorubaland; Alase ikeje Orisa; it has a significant meaning.

This will be the last time I will comment or reply anyone on this non-issue.

Now, let me help you listen to yourself. These are facts:

1) Oduduwa is the grandfather of Oranmiyan, who later founded Oyo kingdom

2) Meanwhile, Oduduwa himself was the first monarch of Ile-Ife (And first to bear that title you disrespect- OONI). Oduduwa, your ancestor was the first OONI of Ife.

Now, hear yourself: "OONI isn't among the seven children of Oduduwa".....

Oga mi, where you missed the point is that Oduduwa himself was OONI!

Figure that in, and you'll see that you didn't make sense up there.

The Throne cannot be equated to personalities. The throne of the OONI far supersedes that of the Alaafin.

Is that too difficult for you to grasp?

Oh sorry!... You actually meant Oduduwa, OONI of Ife and the grandfather of the first Alaafin, was one slave appointed to be in charge of the deities?

So, who appointed Oduduwa OONI of Ife? .. Alaafin abi?

Ride on, the wise one.

The gods are wiser though smiley

1 Like

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by facealone05(m): 10:15am On May 30, 2015
What abt Awujale of Ijebu-Land
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:32am On May 30, 2015
ethicalUser:
Oba of Benin Don die , them go announce him death wen the number of human head for burial complete. Beware of airport road and sapele road area at Nyt.

Another slowpoke!
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:33am On May 30, 2015
400billionman:

Go to market to buy ur GENERATION or what? stupider than stupid comment.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by dammydreams: 10:38am On May 30, 2015
that is your own mind set of pickings, what about the Awujale of Ijebu Land Oba SIKIRU ADETONA my daddy, bros you are missing something o the only Royal Highness who boldly face and say the truth to GEJ
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Okpueze1(m): 10:50am On May 30, 2015
But wait º°˚˚°ºoo, who made Onitsha τ̲̅ђe capital of Anambra state? Na so people go d lie lie. Y̶̲̥̅̊o̶̲̥̅̊и̣̣̣̣̥ are τ̲̅ђe one that see these people as next to God not ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Nobody: 10:51am On May 30, 2015
sweetgala:

What if I told you between 1930 and 1980 no king home or abroad dare challenge the ultimacy of Tadeniawo Adesoji Aderemi, not even Alafin Lamidi Adeyemi, he tried he prostrated in the end

Re-writing history.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by fisaylab: 10:58am On May 30, 2015
Where is Oba (DR) Adekunle Aroomolaran Arole,Osupa Amororo of Ijesa land.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Bandura(m): 11:09am On May 30, 2015
The list is not complete without mentioning ''the Ohinoyi Of Ebiraland'', Dr. Ado Ibrahim that has the best palace in West Africa located in Okene, Nigeria. A magnificient Palace to behold.
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by Antivirus92(m): 11:27am On May 30, 2015
400billionman:
Onitsha is not the capital of Anambra state but Akwa is
akwa d capital of anambra? you're even worse than d op
Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by sweetgala(m): 11:28am On May 30, 2015
opal4real:

Re-writing history.

What if I show you this to ponder on !

Re: 5 Nigerian Traditional Rulers You Should Meet When You Travel... by akpumping7720(m): 11:30am On May 30, 2015
nas00:

This will be the last time I will comment or reply anyone on this non-issue.

Now, let me help you listen to yourself. These are facts:

1) Oduduwa is the grandfather of Oranmiyan, who later founded Oyo kingdom

2) Meanwhile, Oduduwa himself was the first monarch of Ile-Ife (And first to bear that title you disrespect- OONI). Oduduwa, your ancestor was the first OONI of Ife.

Now, hear yourself: "OONI isn't among the seven children of Oduduwa".....

Oga mi, where you missed the point is that Oduduwa himself was OONI!

Figure that in, and you'll see that you didn't make sense up there.

The Throne cannot be equated to personalities. The throne of the OONI far supersedes that of the Alaafin.

Is that too difficult for you to grasp?

Oh sorry!... You actually meant Oduduwa, OONI of Ife and the grandfather of the first Alaafin, was one slave appointed to be in charge of the deities?

So, who appointed Oduduwa OONI of Ife? .. Alaafin abi?

Ride on, the wise one.

The gods are wiser though smiley
My question for you is this: the past and present Ooni of Ife(excluding the founder; Oduduwa) are they direct descendant of oduduwa or not? And did you know that Oranmiyan founded Oyo and became the first 'Alafin' at the same time direct affairs in 'Ile-Ife' from his palace at Oyo. Do you even know the meaning of 'Alafin'? Oranmiyan was suppose to be the crown king of 'Ile-Ife' but he chose to govern from Oyo and appointed 'Adimula' to oversee things in 'Ile-Ife' and bring him report.
Boss! Make I stop here for now. But I would like u to reply my first question.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ghastly Auto Crash Close To Obalende, Lagos / Man Shows The Outdoor Camp Occupied By Hundreds Of Nigerians In Dublin (video) / Obituary Of A Family Killed In Accident In Plateau State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.