Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,230 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:43 PM

Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business (42023 Views)

Controversy As Alaafin Of Oyo Prays With Queens In Front Row At Prayer Ground / Alaafin Of Oyo Steps Out Again With His 4 Wives (photos). / Alaafin Of Oyo & His Wives Cause A Stir At Abuja Airport (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by adebayojoy(m): 11:11am On Oct 31, 2013
Yorubaa Enu Enu leboo.
Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by macof(m): 10:09am On Sep 20, 2014
tpia5: Katsumoto

i'm just reading through the thread and noticed another misconception.

Ogun was not a son of oduduwa.

Ogun was the eldest son of oduduwa's household
Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by macof(m): 10:10am On Sep 20, 2014
Katsumoto:

Lets take it one by one.

Oduduwa had one son, Okanbi, with his principal wife, Omonide or Iyamode. Okanbi had seven sons who are Obalades (genuine crowns of Oduduwa) and the sons were

Alaafin of Oyo, Olowu of Owu, Orangun of Ila-orangun, the Owaoboku of Ijeshaland, the Alaketu of Ketu, and two Obas in the Republic of Benin as follows: the Onipopo of Popo and the Onisabe of Sabe. Apart from the seven Obalades, there were other kings who were offsprings of both Okanbi and Oduduwa but were not from either's principal wives. These other nine kings made a total of 16 kings who ruled over the original 16 Yoruba kingdoms. Some historians claim that when Oranmiyan returned from Benin (he didn't go to war), there was no crown for him and he was compensated for this with a bigger kingdom. In truth, Oyo expanded through war starting with Alaafin Sango.

The first Ooni after the death of Oduduwa was Ogun. Ogun was clearly not one of the seven Obalades who had left Ife to start their own kingdoms. But that is not to say that Ogun wasn't a son of Oduduwa or Okanbi through one of the slave wives. I will continue to research this. Personally, I suspect that Ogun was a son of Okanbi or Oduduwa simply because Okanbi and Oduduwa had many sons and could easily have recalled one of them to Ife. That one of the other sons didn't attack Ife and Ogun further lends credence to this point.

Ogun was the first to be called Ooni, because he worked with his mother in the temple, she was an Iyanifa and held a high position in the Ogbonni

This ogun according to Ooni website is the first son of oduduwa..nothing is said about Okanbi...Infact some sources say Okanbi never existed, that the obalades are sons rather than grandsons of oduduwa
But personally I doubt such a character could be created like that

Maybe Okanbi was known by different names, I suspect Obamakin was one of such names

A Babalawo once told me the story of Oluwo a Great Ifa priestess who turned from slave to mother of royalty, this her son was most definitely Ogun Oonisa aka Adimula

One should note that when Oranmiyan left Ife to Bini, it was Adimula who commissioned him not oduduwa, as oduduwa was long gone

Even the Oba of Benin is known as Ovbi Adimila...son of Adimila(Adimula)

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by macof(m): 10:11am On Sep 20, 2014
Katsumoto:
In Yoruba mythology, Ogun was the son of Obatala and Oduduwa
. He fought and won many battles and was rewarded with the town of Ire. There is a shrine for Ogun at Ire (Ekiti). You have to understand that many of the Yoruba gods and deities were actually human at some point and were deified by worshippers later on.

The information I am presenting is from several books; most of which I have listed already. If you have any source which counters any of these, I am happy to read.

Edit: 50 Oonis

the tale in the bold is not historical event but strictly cosmological

1 Like

Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by daresimon(m): 4:57pm On Apr 06, 2015
zstranger:

We dont even know that.
There is no evidence that Oyo ever conquered Ife.

Is there something you know that is not in the public domain?

Oyo didnot and never fought Ife, so dere is no need for conquering. Buh I want to believe that there is something behind this supremacy battle we are not told.
Re: Alaafin Of Oyo To Ooni Of Ife: Mind Your Own Business by exceltech: 10:56am On Oct 13, 2016
hmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Moment Tinubu Arrived For A Meeting With APC Governors, NWC Members (Video) / Aderonke Kale - Female Two-Star General In The Nigerian Armed Forces / CharlyBoy Writes Open Letter To Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.