Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,762 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51361 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by shaybebaby(f): 2:11pm On Jun 09, 2015
Timbuktou:

Classic case of sexism. Why can't a woman give birth at 90 if she wanted to? It's not fair, and men are to blame. grin grin
Anybody having a child at that age is irresponsible and yet again, with the idea of feminism such a young woman would feel empowered enough to say no to a 90 yr old or old geezer who would definitely expire before the child is grown leaving her to shoulder the responsibility of raising a child alone.
Any sane person would rather live out their twilight years doing as little work as possible and enjoying themselve.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 2:13pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kay17:
@bolded, how do you know that? The feminists clearly show they don't. Do you still think there is no unequal pay in the labour market in Nigeria?
Not Nigerian feminists - they love kids and marriage die grin Our two feminist stalwarts here were both engaged before 20 grin grin grin!

There is no structural or institutionalised pay disparity.

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 2:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Not more, not less, exactly the same? Wanting as an express desire and the effort and timings are totally different. The limiting factors are mostly heavily weighted for females. It's why men can have harems. And children are more biological imperative for women and status for men.

Like I told ESoul, biology is different from perception

Yes, women have less window for birthing (The chances of an older man birthing a kid with down syndrome/ other health factors are higher) however, a ttcing man does not think of biology undecided. A Yoruba saying ' your child is you breaking even; your grandchild is your profit'. A man is probably thinking I can birth later (biology) after he has had his kids.

TV01:
Of course we do. We have very little risk and only really have the burden - shared - of provision. Do you know what childbirth can do to a woman? I have a cousin who had 4 by CS. Here the max is 3. I would not have 4 CS' for anything. 1 sef

Yes na. I would love 2 more, 4 sef. But that's effortless for me to say and almost effortless for me to do. One area I don't demand obedience - and wifey has said no more grin. Truth is, I wouldn't allow it. What even I went through - which was nothing comparitively - I can't go through again. But if I could have multiple wives, why not?

I honestly wonder when men say their wives must have XYZ kids when they are practically contributing minutely to the process undecided

2 (preferably one of each) is now the new trend in town.

Funnily, some women want more than their husbands. Know someone who wants 1 more (2 already ( a boy & a girl)) for a husband who has 4 grown kids from a previous marriage (widowed)

TV
TV01:
...and in the West you can have the kids and escape the burden if you are able to act irresponsibly. Some men have 20 shocked shocked shocked

@sup:

Different case altogether

Read of a crazy girl who had 15 for about 9 men.

Some people are wack.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 2:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Not Nigerian feminists - they love kids and marriage die grin Our two feminist stalwarts here were both engaged before 20 grin grin grin!

There is no structural or institutionalised pay disparity.

TV

Didn't you just say this

TV01: The whole notion of forced equality is not even the real discussion here. In fact, I feel employment, wages, etc. largely reflect male/female choices and some forms of customary discrimination are actually a good thing.

As Coogar has pointed out for the STEM courses, it's instructive to note the case in medicine. About 60% of female Dr's in the UK leave the profession within 10 years
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by shaybebaby(f): 2:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
snakebeat:

I heard some feminist are advocating for the stop of menstruation, they term it as sexism, since men don't menstruate. They say it's either both gender menstruate or both don't. But how they intend to achieve this, is what I don't know.

Perhaps they are already working on a drug that will stop menstrual flow.

*sigh*

Get with the times, the mirena coil in some instances stops the menstrual flow.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 2:35pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kay17:
Didn't you just say this

TV01:
The whole notion of forced equality is not even the real discussion here. In fact, I feel employment, wages, etc. largely reflect male/female choices and some forms of customary discrimination are actually a good thing.

Yes, I also said this;
TV01:
Some forms of customary discrimination made sense and would still be understandable for the overall good. Although I'm not calling for it's re-introduction, or am even certain we could roll back the tide.

TV01:
Customary discrimination was not simply males favoured over females. Customary discrimination is - all things being equal - prefering a married man with kids over a single woman, or a single man. It's women and children first! And it would make sense in the medical profession.

Of course no one is fighting cutomary discrimination where it adversely affects men grin!

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 2:37pm On Jun 09, 2015
shaybebaby:
Drops mic...flees......... shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

TV

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ewuro4: 2:39pm On Jun 09, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 2:55pm On Jun 09, 2015
shaybebaby:

happy fücking days.... grin
i don't longer need to wait 3-5 days every month to do my civic duties for my partner.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2015
coogar:

happy fücking days.... grin
i don't longer need to wait 3-5 days every month to do my civic duties to my partner.
Quickly pops back in to note that "as ever it favours men"...especially those that want responsibility-free engagement with women. And notice, who bears the risk of any side-effects? Sounds like discrimination to me

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Yes, I also said this;

Of course no one is fighting cutomary discrimination where it adversely affects men grin!

TV

So there is unequal pay to the disadvantage of men??
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 3:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Quickly pops back in to note that "as ever it favours men"...especially those that want responsibility-free engagement with women. And notice, who bears the risk of any side-effects? Sounds like discrimination to me

TV

i thought ovarian cancer is contagious. grin
so this mirenia coil still favours the men in the long run? the inventor must be a misogynist - how discriminatory can one be to think of this kinda crazy idea. cheesy
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 3:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
bukatyne:
Like I told ESoul, biology is different from perception
But biology must colour perception small na?

bukatyne:
Yes, women have less window for birthing (The chances of an older man birthing a kid with down syndrome/ other health factors are higher) however, a ttcing man does not think of biology undecided. A Yoruba saying ' your child is you breaking even; your grandchild is your profit'. A man is probably thinking I can birth later (biology) after he has had his kids.
There are age-related risks for both male and female - The "freezing eggs" thread was really enlightneing.

bukatyne:
I honestly wonder when men say their wives must have XYZ kids when they are practically contributing minutely to the process undecided
Men are probably more concerned about providing. And women still have to worry about provision - even if just to ascertain that it will be made.

bukatyne:
2 (preferably one of each) is now the new trend in town.
No one can legislate for this. I know someone with 3 girls - after saying no more after 2, they tried one last time for a son. In the "not child-friendly" West, it' driven by economics and convenience. Childcare for one child can swallow up a whole salary angry!

bukatyne:
Different case altogether
Read of a crazy girl who had 15 for about 9 men.
Some people are wack.
It's still easier for a man to huge numbers of children - there was a program on telly about it a month or 2 ago. One even went out clubbing wiht his first born to score new chicks grin!

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 3:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kay17:
So there is unequal pay to the disadvantage of men??
Yes - and how timely a question grin - men are seriously underpaid relative to women in Tennis cool. That is not even customary discrimination, as it has no greater purpose. It's "spiteful" discrimination.

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 3:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
coogar:
i thought ovarian cancer is contagious. grin
so this mirenia coil still favours the men in the long run? the inventor must be a misogynist - how discriminatory can one be to think of this kinda crazy idea. cheesy
Presumably it uses powerful chemicals to warp the womens normal bodily - reproductive function?

I once had a girlfriend who insisted on going on the pill. One of the really attractive things about her, was her great skin. That went first. Bad acne. "Small price to pay huh? Afterall, it wasn't on my tab was it? Then I found a prettier one sad.

TV
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by snakebeat: 3:34pm On Jun 09, 2015
shaybebaby:

In some instances u said, & it doesn't completely stop menstrual flow.
I'm talking about sth with lesser bad points, there are too many horror stories about mirena coil, often times it may result to lack of any oestrogen. I really don't knw much abt menstrual flow though, perhaps u can educate me, I feel disposed to learn.

I go pay u plenty money.... cheesy
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 3:42pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Yes - and how timely a question grin - men are seriously underpaid relative to women in Tennis cool. That is not even customary discrimination, as it has no greater purpose. It's "spiteful" discrimination.

TV

Ok. I'm done with this thread
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 3:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
TV01:

Presumably it uses powerful chemicals to warp the womens normal bodily - reproductive function?

i know of implants - a small flexible tube shot under the skin of the upper arm. i once had a chic that was on it & it was meant to prevent pregnancy for 3 years or thereabout. her period completely stopped which was to my benefit. grin

I once had a girlfriend who insisted on going on the pill. One of the really attractive things about her, was her great skin. That went first. Bad acne. "Small price to pay huh? Afterall, it wasn't on my tab was it? Then I found a prettier one sad.
TV

haha! grin
sometimes the side effects can be sudden change in emotions, huge appetite gain which is linked to an unusual increase in weight. i was just wondering why anyone would opt for such with the obvious risks it poses......
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by babygirlfl: 4:29pm On Jun 09, 2015
shaybebaby:

It was also customary for twin to be butchered in some parts of Nigeria before Mary Slessor changed that. Just because it is customary doesn't not equate to the custom being above reproach.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:51am On Jun 10, 2015
TV01:

TV

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jun 10, 2015
TV01:
Then I found a prettier one sad.

TV
Hehehe. Wickid. grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
TV01:

Pondered, wondered and gon' dered (sorry, best I could do off the cuff grin!)

Can't be true as a biological imperative. Women have shorter windows and limited opportunity. A womans fertile years are limited relative to a mans. A woman can only be pregnant to delivery once for any 9 month duration.

Men can impregnate as many as they can lie with. The delivery risk (non-existent for men) and post-delivery burden is greater on women also. Simply put, spermatozoa is cheap, the effort minimal, risk low and the burden comparitively light. The male urge is more for "expression", the female for "conception". Nothing to engender fervency in men cheesy!

Culturally, it's still women who show more fervency - although men do as well. Men don't have ot work against the clock as much for marriage or children. They handle the pressure better as a result and find more solace/respect in status - apart from marriage.

You need to share - insightfully - on this or take a strike for trolling grin!

TV

We're not talking of so-called limiting factors - although you like to boast of this wider window men supposedly have that they actually don't have by much if you take into account 'trivial' things like, oh IDK, the child's health and mental cognition (here we assume we're working with 'quality' sperm to begin with, regardless of age). We're talking of 'want' here.

Men generally not only want children more, they want more of them. Studies show that they even anticipate more happiness at the thought of having them! Women, on the other hand, generally report relatively lower anticipatory levels, and self-report lower levels of happiness and quality of life in literally every area of life after having had said children - even if they don't necessarily express regret in their choices.

Due to patriarchal conditioning, which waxes even stronger in the African setting, many men whole-heartedly believe they are worth a not and have failed immeasurably if they cannot successfully produce human trophies to live on after them when they're dead, to serve the function of passing on their genes/family name, etc. Women are brought up to please them in providing these 'heirs', the societal pressure of which to do so remains incredibly immense as well. Reason fertile men are more prone to swiftly divorcing infertile woman, some still having no qualms laying the blame squarely at the woman's feet when he - the man - is the culprit (for fear the spread of the delicate news will spell certain shame, and dawn the beginning of his own 'emasculation' as he sees it).

Perhaps oddly understandable in a weird way since men and women do not contribute an even fifty-fifty to the existence of a child. They only contribute fifty-fifty to the chromosomes (and that’s assuming no trisomies, etc).

The woman contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes
2. Mitochondrial DNA
3. The child’s entire first cell - the sperm does not survive fertilization
4. Forty weeks’ gestation
5. And for those who breastfeed, the child’s first nourishment for the next several months to a year/two after birth.

The man contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes

Child-rearing too is generally left largely to the woman, motherhood being the "crown of her glory". Fatherhood? Not so much. Traditionally, it's been rather coldly attributed to (in order of importance):

1) His ability to sire - the more the better as a sure sign of virility (= prowess = manliness). Reason it would be of no surprise if the aforementioned irresponsible man with 20 kids on federal assistance were to BOAST of having fathered his entire ghetto without the intention of having anything to do with them in any way/shape/form.

2) His ability to fund - explicable.

3) The hard disciplinarian - starring as stern step-in for the 'primary' caregiver.

And then, lastly, pulling from my own experiences, how unrealistically early men tend to express their desire for children, leaving me to...

...wondering how the heck that premature bomb crept it's way into a casual conversation? This included, but was not limited to the occasional wistful interjection/speech on what they expected/wanted of their imaginary future children.

Men want children more, because society has made it their highest-most function within the patriarchal dynamic. Simply put, a man is what he can put forth, i.e, produce. It's almost as if their very claim to manhood hangs in the balance!

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 12:15pm On Jun 12, 2015
...Morrin ES, had to like this for it's sheer depth. We need a whole suite of like buttons grin.

EnlightenedSoul:
We're not talking of so-called limiting factors - although you like to boast of this wider window men supposedly have that they actually don't have by much if you take into account 'trivial' things like, oh IDK, the child's health and mental cognition (here we assume we're working with 'quality' sperm to begin with, regardless of age). We're talking of 'want' here.
True, sperm quality decreases with age - but that can be mostly overcome by taking a suitably nubile spouse cool!

EnlightenedSoul:
Men generally not only want children more, they want more of them. Studies show that they even anticipate more happiness at the thought of having them! Women, on the other hand, generally report relatively lower anticipatory levels, and self-report lower levels of happiness and quality of life in literally every area of life after having had said children - even if they don't necessarily express regret in their choices.
I won't gainsay your assertion. But desiring treasures or precious things that come at relatively little cost is to be expected, no? I would love 10 kids, truly - but the limiting factor - physically - is my wife (ignoring our circumstances).

Indeed, your statement only shows that the cost to women is so much greater, hence the actual joy is somewhat reduced relative to men. Or are you saying that men love children more than women? There is no equivalent to "feeling broody" for men.

EnlightenedSoul:
Due to patriarchal conditioning, which waxes even stronger in the African setting, many men whole-heartedly believe they are worth a not and have failed immeasurably if they cannot successfully produce human trophies to live on after them when they're dead, to serve the function of passing on their genes/family name, etc. Women are brought up to please them in providing these 'heirs', the societal pressure of which to do so remains incredibly immense as well. Reason fertile men are more prone to swiftly divorcing infertile woman, some still having no qualms laying the blame squarely at the woman's feet when he - the man - is the culprit (for fear the spread of the delicate news will spell certain shame, and dawn the beginning of his own 'emasculation' as he sees it).
Man are at once status driven and more far-sighted than women. The maternal instinct is just that - a desire to birth. Whereas, men like to build an empire, strengthen a lineage, ensure bloodlines and kinship ties are maintained. We are back to the "men build empires" assertion cheesy.

The truth is, most men work tirelessly to provide for the wives and children. Seeing that their efforts feed into and perpetuate something greater than them makes it all worthwhile. In the "monkey dey work,baboon dey chop" adage, it's the men that are doing the work.

Children have always been the raison d'etre of marriage, and the main benefit to males from embracing it. Not that I personally condone dissolution due to childlessness. And I also note both parties do so, and if it's the man "at fault", some women are not beneath "presenting" him with offspring regardless wink.

EnlightenedSoul:
Perhaps oddly understandable in a weird way since men and women do not contribute an even fifty-fifty to the existence of a child. They only contribute fifty-fifty to the chromosomes (and that’s assuming no trisomies, etc).

The woman contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes
2. Mitochondrial DNA
5. And for those who breastfeed, the child’s first nourishment for the next several months to a year/two after birth.

The man contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes

Child-rearing too is generally left largely to the woman, motherhood being the "crown of her glory". Fatherhood? Not so much. Traditionally, it's been rather coldly attributed to (in order of importance):

1) His ability to sire - the more the better as a sure sign of virility (= prowess = manliness). Reason it would be of no surprise if the aforementioned irresponsible man with 20 kids on federal assistance were to BOAST of having fathered his entire ghetto without the intention of having anything to do with them in any way/shape/form.

3) The hard disciplinarian - starring as stern step-in for the 'primary' caregiver.

And then, lastly, pulling from my own experiences, how unrealistically early men tend to express their desire for children, leaving me to...

...wondering how the heck that premature bomb crept it's way into a casual conversation? This included, but was not limited to the occasional wistful interjection/speech on what they expected/wanted of their imaginary future children.
All this does is buttress my point about the cost and risk being much greater for women - whilst the outcome in terms of their percieved quality of life is actually poorer - meaning it's simply easier for men to have higher levels undampened desire.

EnlightenedSoul:

Men want children more, because society has made it their highest-most function within the patriarchal dynamic. Simply put, a man is what he can put forth, i.e, produce. It's almost as if their very claim to manhood hangs in the balance!
Really? Pray tell, what is a womans highest function - in any societal dynamic. cheesy!

TV

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 5:38am On Jun 13, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 5:54am On Jun 13, 2015
EnlightenedSoul:

The woman contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes
2. Mitochondrial DNA

The man contributes:

1. 23 chromosomes

Dats why I like you, you say a lot of things wink smiley

While men wanting more children might be true, men wanting children more than women is false at best, at worse, its laughable...
Women for one are more desperate to start a family, most men won't even consider starting a family until they are financially secure, consequently, women marry averagely 10 years earlier than men, ofcourse, the desire to start a family and the desire to raise children are identical twins... Women also start fantasising about children as soon as they are married, 1 year into the marriage with no issues, many women get frustrated and automatically assume it's her fault, consequently, a woman goes into depression if she's unable to conceive and I wonder where your axiom that men want children more spring from... Not when men are more open to aborting any "unwanted" babies... Not when men are more liable to flee after the birth of any unwanted babies....
So many not whens....E soul, you are reaching, the title "wife/mothers" is an ambition for women, matter of fact, it's a status to which they aspire.... many women rank being a mother ahead of being the prime minister of England....

The next one is laughable too, men and women do not contribute equally to the making of babies, "someone automatically assumes the ovum could fertilise itself"..

1. The man contributes 23 chromosome------ true
2. undecided
3. The woman is solely responsible for making the first cell...... Hahahahahaha, Not when you consider the fact that the sperm is a cell itself, and the First cell of the child contains 46 chromosomes, 23 from the male and 23 from the female... it also contains genetic material from both the sperm and the ovum... so basically, without the sperm cell, nothing happens... the ovum is just like a broiler egg, one can even harvest it and fry.... I heard it's quite proteinous cheesy cheesy
4&5. I agree, ofcourse other factors like her nutrition, emotional stability etc, which depends on the man since the vessel usually become docile, remaining constant.... The vessels needs to be properly oiled if it's to deliver its content in good condition, and who does the oiling, your guess is as good as mine

Since we are making unreasonable suggestions like what a man/woman contributes, I'd tell you what a man contributes.

1. And most important of all, LIFE cool cool, The sperm cell does to the ovum what God in its infinite goodness did to man.... "Give the breath of life"... without the sperm cell the ovum is just a useless residue to be excreted like urine....
2. Gender.... The ovum only has X chromosomes, the sperm carries X nd Y... give the ovum an X nd you have a female, give it a Y and you have a male.... cool right cool

Unto the next one

Did you say child rearing is generally left to the woman, not when the man makes all the provisions and pay all his bills as in African societies or in westernised societies where the man is expected to share duties 50/50... in either situations, you lose.....
As for the rest, I laugh once again...

1. Why is an errant child adjudged to be poorly raised by her mother.... The ability to sire - fertility- means a lot to women.. it's little wonder many of them consider theirselves not woman enough if they can't do that, they are even referred to as Men..

2. Her ability to nurture

3.whats that mean

As usual, ur theories are as fallacious as the "oduduwa story" undecided.... women want children more, I never heard any guy talk about raising a family at 20, most women I know start disturbing my ears with such boring fantasies as early as puberty.... A man has never been what he can produce, men who own companies and a diversified portfolio of assets are more dignified and respected than one who sires an entire community, most men put achievement ahead of family in their list of priorities, they mostly only consider the latter after they have acquired the former.. for women, its not the same.

Nd I speak for man, being one myself cool, you on the other hand seem to know very little about us

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 1:23pm On Jun 13, 2015
njokusboy:
Women also start fantasising about children as soon as they are married

i think you were too generous with this statement. women fantasise about children their whole lives. they are nurturers & this is why you see female kids with their barbie dolls.

they take care of the dolls as if it's their baby. even at that tender age, the primal desire to nurture is already obvious.....while their male counterparts play with lego, toy guns, toy cars, etc.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by ApexTitan(m): 8:59pm On Jun 13, 2015
coogar:

in other words, you are the inferior gender. grin

Pardon me, is Kay17 female?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 9:00pm On Jun 13, 2015
ApexTitan:

Pardon me, is Kay17 female?

she carries the XX chromosomes. grin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 9:18am On Jun 20, 2015
FrancisTony:

All thanks to UyiIrediia, AmanfromMars/Muskeeto and Logicboy. cheesy
Sup?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Ugosample(m): 10:39pm On Jan 10, 2017
I usually stay away from this topic because its a very difficult topic to discuss without it becoming a male vs female bashing fest
Op of you really want mature discussions on your thread, you may want to change your title to something less confrontational.

I live in the west and here when a feminist talks I totally understand what she is saying and fighting for. They follow up with actions and are very passionate about the things that they fight and campaign for . . which is womens rights. Not one right, not two rights or rights in just some areas . . .they fight for rights in all areas that concern women.

They fight for things such as pay, against the glass ceiling, discrimination, for childcare support, against domestic violence, laws that marginalise women and a whole heap of other things. They go out in the rain and run marathons for their cause, they go to TV stations and eloquently pass accross their views, they sign petitions and obtain thousands of signatures and march down to Downing street. They have a strategy, they know what they want and they go for it.

I dont see much of that in Nigeria. I may be wrong but the flavour of the Nigerian feminist seems to only be within relationships. Howvever relationships are really built on the foundation of cultural and for those who have a religion, religious beleifs as well.
The most rugged of Nigerian feminists will not refuse to cook if her MIL comes visiting just becasue she cooked yesterday and its hubbys turn to cook today.

Some MIL's are more dangerous to the marriage than the man himself.
Its the culture that needs to be tweaked and old things that dont work are the things that need to be done away with
Some pastors have sent women to their grave with the sit and endure advise to a woman who is being abused.
This is cultural and religious advise gone wrong.

Until the Nigerian feminist embraces the "whole thing" and not just bits, they wont wont get much support and they wont be taken seriously.
Go to the grassroots, empower women, send them to school, open shelters for those suffering domestic violence, be out there fighting for the rights of women, lobby govt to pass laws to protect women and so on.

I am all for the rights of women and equal oppourtunities in all areas not just some areas. I should earn the same my male collegues are earning and if I want to retire at the same age as my male collegues then I should be able to.

Very very nice
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Mskrisx(f): 12:55am On Jan 11, 2017
FrancisTony:
To me, what I understood this to be isn't "men versus women" bash fest but many insecured men on this forum, made it to seem so.

Well, the name "feminism" might not sound cool though "women right activism would have been better".

Now, let me educate you where women are marginalised though it depends on the individuals, anyway.

1) Why would a woman be pestered and called all different sorts of names just because she decided to remain single? but different when it comes to a man. Isn't it marginalisation?
A husband and wife had mutual understanding/agreement on certain things, and some men whom it didn't concern starts telling you how she's a 21st century Jezebel bossing her husband around.

2) You committed the same gender discrimination crime in your original post. Why blaming those divorced American women you listed^^^, instead of finding out what caused the hiatus(probably, their husband), but you lumped the blame on them as sexists would always do.
Again, Kim Kardashian and her mother Kris Jenner has never associated theirselves as a feminist(infact they are anti-feminist).
Kim has divorced twice...
Kris has divorced once....
Lady gaga is also a known anti-feminist and is she having a fufilled life?

3) Why do whenever a female err, her gender would be emphasized on, instead of who did it?.
For instance, when a woman commit a crime, you will hear "women sha" meanwhile, men are expert in that crime.

I guess all these, are not gender discrimination.
Anyhoo, you can't deny gender discrimination.
Like Bisi Fayemi-Adeleye , Ekiti state first lady et al who associate herself as feminist and married. She's carrying out female child rights empowerment.
By the way, No government has taken care of anything about protecting female child rights in Nigeria like you opined; infact they are in support of Child marriage known as yerimarisation. Non-governmental organisation is the sole helper.

Lastly, you claim Nigerian feminists are pseudo, but many, still go ahead to blame feminism for destrowing marriages in Nigeria. Confused much!

Men and women are darn equal.
Men and women represents human and even the holy bible said that God made all things equally in His image.

Are they the same? NO? Infact, no two humans are the same whether male or female.

How about a drink MR?

UR INTELLIGENCE IS CUTENESS OVERLOAD cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by cbravo2: 4:01pm On Apr 26, 2017
THE IMPORTANCE OF FEMINISM IN DEVELOPMENT OF NIGERIAN POLITICS: AN EXPOSITION
http://www.bravoprojecthelp.com/philosophy/importance-feminism-development-nigerian-politics-exposition/

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (Reply)

19-year-old Boy Impregnates Mother While Testing Love Charm / African Man Marries An Elderly Oyinbo Woman. See Photos / 20 Costly Mistakes That Married Men Make.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.