Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,790 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51215 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 12:00am On Jun 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

About fourteen years across five industries including one where I tried my hands at running a business.

Yet, you're so sure women are discriminated against? Pfft. Be careful what you peddle as 'fact'.

there's nowhere on the planet women are paid less than men for the same role. that's just utter balderdash used by feminists to play the victim card like they usually do. they always manipulate the statistics to suit their evil agenda.

for instance, almost half of the women in the UK work part time compared to their counterparts with just 11% doing part-time. when feminists want to pull the wool over the eyes of their sheep, they bring out how much income men make overall without considering the number of hours each gender puts in.

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 12:35am On Jun 08, 2015
Lilly Ledbetter had worked at Goodyear for years before someone slipped her a note telling her that she was making a lot less money than other men at her seniority level. Others might learn it through gossip, or through a stray pay stub.

Working women all over the US have had their own equal pay awakenings, when they realized their salaries lagged those of others who had the same qualifications. The knowledge can be a shock.

One thing is clear, however: most American women are still not getting paid as much as their male colleagues.

“Women against feminism” – a viral social media campaign that sprang up this month – isn’t purely an American phenomenon. When Guardian US and ProPublica asked for your equal pay awakenings, one of our British readers, Juliette, 45, insisted that she too was “sick of being made out to be a victim simply because I am a woman. I chose to have children and be their primary carer. I am not underpaid or a victim.”

Yet her annual pay is £5,000, or $8,473, less than that of the men in her office. Her explanation? It is not discrimination, just an effect of her having a child and needing flexible hours. “It is not a criticism of my abilities and I do not think all women are discriminated against,” she wrote.

The truth, unfortunately, is that women have been and still are paid less even if they do not take time off to have a child or need flexible hours. They earn, on average, about 77 cents for every dollar that a man earns. In span of a year, they make $11,500 less than their male counterparts.

Being underpaid doesn’t automatically make you a victim. It’s an alert to stop being one. Most women who have discovered unequal pay have stood up for themselves, paving way for other women in their company. Some quit to prove that they deserve to be treated the same as their male co-workers. We all know the statistic that about 57% of men ask for their raises. For women, that number was 7%.

Yet women who do raise the subject of salary find that asking is not enough. Often times, they are told to take it or leave it. Frequently, even when given raises, their new pay still comes short of that of their male coworkers.

While that might be enough to discourage some from trying, women have to keep asking for raises and for higher pay. Why? Because men don’t hesitate to ask.

Here are the stories of women who had equal pay awakenings.

Margaret, 35, Los Angeles, California
Pay difference: $5.50 versus $7 an hour

I was a cashier at an Italian restaurant in high school in the early 90s. I worked with a boy, also in high school, and learned he made more than me when we compared pay checks one day. Neither of us had any idea that we were being paid differently for the exact same job.

I complained to the boss, one of the owners of the restaurant. At first, he tried to justify it by saying the boy was a grade older than me. Finally, he admitted that he just thought boys should be paid more. End of story. I was infuriated.

US Money pizza girl server Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Even teenagers in pizza parlours experience unequal pay. Photograph: Ted Pink/Alamy
Jenny, 29, London
Pay difference: 15,000 pounds

I had always thought the job I did and the job my colleague did were equal. In fact I often covered work for him and very often helped him out, because it was important for the good of the team. He left unexpectedly and it was only when the job was advertises that I realised that his pay had been so much higher, all the time.

I talked to my manager who explained that my colleague was paid more because he had been at the organisation longer. I said I thought we should have a more similar wage at least (not a 15,000-pound difference) because if anything, I contributed more. In the end I did leave for a better (and better-paid) job.

Jane, 67, Lynnwood, Virginia
Pay difference: Health Insurance

[Forty-five years ago], when asking my boss for insurance for myself and my child, I was informed that males in the company were married, so they got family insurance, but I was female and not married so I got squat.

I repeated what my boss said back to him to see how it sounded to him. He shook his head and self-righteously said: ‘yes, a man with kids gets insurance but not a woman with a child.’ I was shocked and felt demeaned.

Cassandra, 52, San Francisco, California
Pay difference: $3,000 a year

My husband and I graduated together and got the same job at two different companies. I was hired a few weeks before he was. In his final interview, he mentioned I was being paid $33,000, so his company bumped my husband’s pay up to $36,000 so he would be earning more than I was.

I started at my company at the same time and for the same salary as a new male graduate – but the company advised him to start a day before me so he would always have seniority over me.

Erin, 26, UK
Pay difference: $20,000

I knew for a while that others were paid at a higher rate compared to me. I just accepted that and I don’t really know why. I guess I thought I just wasn’t as good and others were slightly more experienced. I am an engineer and have a masters degree in my subject (and a lot of student debt to go with it), this is necessary for my job role, and this is my first company after graduating. I am the only female engineer.

Others in the same role as me were less qualified, studying part time and having their fees paid for by the company, and also getting at least 1 day per week study leave. It was when I found out that their study day was not unpaid but paid at their normal day rate that I got angry and upset. I was fully qualified working 5 days a week. They were unqualified, earning 50% more than me and working only 4 days per week.

I asked for a raise to match the others’ day rates. I stated my case and said it was not fair and that I would leave if it was not resolved. I was nearly fobbed off with a much smaller raise but I said again that I would not take anything less than being equal to the men. My supervisor agreed reluctantly.

Kathleen, 59, San Francisco, California
Pay difference: $1 an hour (in 1975, that was a lot)

How did you find out you were being paid less? Compared rates with male employees.

We worked on the paint crew of our university’s Physical Plant Department one summer. The other gal and I asked for an interview with the department manager. We laid out our case. The other gal was a lot feistier than I and angered the manager. He said if we want a raise we have to prove we deserve to be paid the same as the men. So we had to paint an entire house without the assistance of any males. We did it.

US Money painting wall Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Can a woman do the same job as a man? You bet. Photograph: REX/Image Broker
Samantha, 25, New York, New York
Pay difference: $7,000 a year

My supervisor was leaving for a new opportunity and we were out for drinks. After some shake-ups on our team, I had been given a lot of new responsibility and a fancy new title to go along with it. My supervisor encouraged me to ask for an equivalent of her salary – $55,000/year compared to my $45,000. I was unsure of my value at the company when a colleague – recent college grad as of May 2013 and in the most entry-level position at our company – piped up to say that he couldn’t believe I was only making $45,000 being there nearly a year with two years of experience under my belt because his starting salary was $52,000.

I approached my boss, the only woman in a leadership position at the company, and mentioned that with my supervisor leaving, my role changing and my responsibilities growing, I’d like to be financially compensated for that. She was caught off guard and said she’d bring it up to the CEO. Two weeks later she hugged me because she had gotten me a raise. The company thought I was worth 9% more than what I was making, putting my annual salary at $48,000 – still $4,000 less than the newest person in our company.

J, 42, New York, New York
Pay difference: $15,000 a year

After 14 years at my workplace, I got a promotion. A male colleague who’d been at the company for four years had also just received the same promotion. I asked him how much he was earning and he graciously told me: it was $15,000 more than they were offering me. Plus his annual bonus was higher: 15% of his salary versus 10% for me.

I was still in the process of negotiating my pay, so I asked for more. I was told no, take it or leave it. I took it, but I now feel much less loyal to this place.

US Money women men equal pay Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Even after a raise, some women still earn less than their male colleagues. Photograph: Alamy
Laura, 29, Durham, North Carolina
Pay difference: $1 an hour

I was being paid $15 an hour and had been there for a year, and realized that a new, entirely inexperienced male peer had been started at $16 an hour. I talked to my boss. When I complained, she raised my pay to be equal to his, even though I had been there a year longer than him. I quit shortly after.

I have never asked for a raise. Once I quit the job, they offered me $3 more an hour to stay, going from $16 an hour to $19 an hour. I was insulted that they hadn’t given me a raise in two years when they were able to offer something like that on the fly. I still quit the job.

Robin, 49, Laurel, Maryland
A new grad male, doing the same job as myself and another woman both employed in the same position for about 10 years, was offered more money than either of us. I get raises when asking, but the man didn’t ask for or negotiate the higher salary. He didn’t know he was making so much more.

We talked about filing a complaint but both of us ended up leaving the position (as did he).

US Money raise interview equal pay Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Asking for a raise can be nerve wracking. Photograph: Joshua Hodge Photography/Getty Images
Pay discrimination can go both ways:

Dan, 30, Sydney, Australia
I found out I was being paid significantly less than my female colleagues when assisting in the recruitment of colleagues. I am the only man in a team of 11. My hiring managers were all women and were sexist.

[I] told my manager I identified it. Ask for an explanation of the disparity. When they claimed budget was making it hard to close [the] identified gap, I said that was understandable, noted that my grievance was raised under the formal grievance policy, and that they were obliged to formally respond – [I] mentioned discrimination. One month later I was moved to pay parity.

Women need to organise as a class to effect change. The problem clearly impacts men as well – on nowhere near the same scale though. Use us as allies.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/aug/13/women-equal-pay-gender-gap-stories-work

Even in developed countries which are supposed to have surmounted the challenges, the ugly problems still exist. The main difficulty is accessing the level of discrimination in equal pay because payrolls are often private records of most workplaces. The workplaces have a legal right to protect and preserve their privacy. In Nigeria, there are hardly dedicated think-tanks that can accumulate the necessary stats AND most info on unequal pay are from informal channels.

BUT it is clear that the Nigerian society does not run short of prejudice against women! There is enough fuel -- prejudice to float all sorts of woman-hating vessels around. The prejudice is the main cause of the social injustice to women.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 12:35am On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

there's nowhere on the planet women are paid less than men for the same role. that's just utter balderdash used by feminists to play the victim card like they usually do. they always manipulate the statistics to suit their evil agenda.

for instance, almost half of the women in the UK work part time compared to their counterparts with just 11% doing part-time. when feminists want to pull the wool over the eyes of their sheep, they bring out how much income men make overall without considering the number of hours each gender puts in.

Empty barrels to back that up.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 12:43am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

Empty barrels to back that up.

this is the office of the national statistics humiliating a top feminist in the UK for cooking up a fraudulent statistic about gender pay. she has since apologised.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225360/Humiliation-Harriet-Harman-statisticians-dismiss-claims-equal-pay.html#article-1225360

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:22am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

Just 5! Please name the industries.

Five industries is more than enough for me to know what I'm talking about, missy. How many years have you worked, in how many establishments, in how many sectors of the labour market? And, no, I'm not naming shiit because you just keep shifting the goalpost each time I raise a point. How does the name(s) of anywhere I've worked help you bring facts that I've asked you for since yesterday. Either you present incontrovertible proof over sexism in pay or you shut up and admit that someone with experience has schooled your read-and-believe-without-verification ass.

You know what? I dare any woman on nairaland, in Nigeria, to come out, with proof, and name and shame any establishment where they have worked where this pay-gap exists. Please, champion this drive, you seem to believe it with all your heart. Surely, of all the working and retired women on here, at least, one should have experienced this 'widespread and growing' phenomenon.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 1:29am On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

Don't mind the eternal whingers. They should tell their porkies to the likes of FrancisTony who's ready to believe whatever comes forth from the mouth of feminists.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 1:51am On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

this is the office of the national statistics humiliating a top feminist in the UK for cooking up a fraudulent statistic about gender pay. she has since apologised.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225360/Humiliation-Harriet-Harman-statisticians-dismiss-claims-equal-pay.html#article-1225360

Did you read the article and come to the conclusion there is nooo unequal pay?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Kay17: 1:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

Five industries is more than enough for me to know what I'm talking about, missy. How many years have you worked, in how many establishments, in how many sectors of the labour market? And, no, I'm not naming shiit because you just keep shifting the goalpost each time I raise a point. How does the name(s) of anywhere I've worked help you bring facts that I've asked you for since yesterday. Either you present incontrovertible proof over sexism in pay or you shut up and admit that someone with experience has schooled your read-and-believe-without-verification ass.

You know what? I dare any woman on nairaland, in Nigeria, to come out, with proof, and name and shame any establishment where they have worked where this pay-gap exists. Please, champion this drive, you seem to believe it with all your heart. Surely, of all the working and retired women on here, at least, one should have experienced this 'widespread and growing' phenomenon.

And with five industries, you believe in your inner self that your experience is encompassing! I do not even know what position you had.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

And with five industries, you believe in your inner self that your experience is encompassing! I do not even know what position you had.

I may have been a janitor, who cares? The fact is I've worked alongside women all this while and the first time I'm hearing all the pay difference tosh is from unemployed people living in a bubble. Do you know even know what a pay-slip looks like, I doubt you do!

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 5:29am On Jun 08, 2015
texanomaly:

Nah...they didn't make me question anything I hadn't already questioned. Even with those questions I still have faith.

I miss those guys actually. smiley
Okay but you actually created a thread for it.

Timbuktou:

Don't mind the eternal whingers. They should tell their porkies to the likes of FrancisTony who's ready to believe whatever comes forth from the mouth of feminists.
There's nowhere in this forum that I've written or believed women are paid less in Nigeria.

I stated the kind of discrimination women are facing in the frontpage of this thread and if I lied, counter it.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 7:17am On Jun 08, 2015
In many places, the starting pay depends on how good you are at negotiating and how much you want the job, so there can be reasonable differences between the pay of 2 people doing the same job.

In places where bonus payments are paid pro rata, then women who work flexible hours or take maternity leave will get a smaller bonus than people on the same scale who dont.

Now anyone can work flexible hours. So men too are welcome to work part time if they so desire. I also heard that the paternity and adoption pay is quite generous too.

Having said all that, I cant count the number of times I and the other mums have taken time off to sit with a sick child, school coffee afternoons, hospital appointments, rush back to school when the kids forget their lunch boxes, schools closed due to snow etc and on many occassions the time isnt made up and our pay isnt affected.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 7:42am On Jun 08, 2015
It's bad I didn't see this topic for so long.

Seun, come and remove this too like you did mine. Isn't this ant-progressive too?
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 9:23am On Jun 08, 2015
laykorn:
It's bad I didn't see this topic for so long.

Seun, come and remove this too like you did mine. Isn't this ant-progressive too?

Seun closed a thread for being anti-progressive? Please, provide proof of this.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 9:46am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

http://www.theguardian.com/money/us-money-blog/2014/aug/13/women-equal-pay-gender-gap-stories-work

Even in developed countries which are supposed to have surmounted the challenges, the ugly problems still exist. The main difficulty is accessing the level of discrimination in equal pay because payrolls are often private records of most workplaces. The workplaces have a legal right to protect and preserve their privacy. In Nigeria, there are hardly dedicated think-tanks that can accumulate the necessary stats AND most info on unequal pay are from informal channels.

BUT it is clear that the Nigerian society does not run short of prejudice against women! There is enough fuel -- prejudice to float all sorts of woman-hating vessels around. The prejudice is the main cause of the social injustice to women.
No it does not.

There is no structural impediment to women being paid the same - and it is illegal to discriminate. Any differences are down to choices and negotiating power. And, and, men work harder - and are able to work harder - than women. Fact!

As noted in one of the examples you posted, there used to be what is known as "customary discrimination" in favour of married men. Something that is no longer practised now, but not something I see as problematic - as the benefits always went onto wives and children anyway.

What is also clear is that due to lots of affirmative action, younger women in the West are now out-earning men of the same age.

http://www.topmanagementdegrees.com/women-dont-make-less/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2841740/Now-women-30s-earning-men-time-female-workers-staving-gender-pay-gap-having-family-later-life.html

TV

...racial discrimination is a way bigger problem than "gender" discrimination.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 9:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

Did you read the article and come to the conclusion there is nooo unequal pay?

yes!
there's no unequal pay anywhere. it's the number of hours people put in that differs. you would also find out there are more men in the top paying jobs than women. men also tend to negotiate higher wage packet than women who are more than contented with whatever rubbish they are being offered......

if you get all these outliers out of the way, there's no unequal pay. in the link i provided, women even earn more than men in the part-time group. that's the only significant unequal gender pay - which feminists have a selective amnesia about.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by damiso(f): 9:59am On Jun 08, 2015
I would really like someone to name and shame companies in Nigeria that pay women less than men in the organised labour sector solely because they are women.

I never experienced it , my mother in her 60's did not as she joined a govt parastatal on Level 8 like all young graduates and earned the same as every other person .She and my dad were mates sef and I think she earned more than him at a time as parastatals paid more than the civil service. I know so many other women who have not experienced it but I keep hearing it exists so I cant say it does not if someone else has experienced it.

5 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 10:05am On Jun 08, 2015
damiso:
I would really like someone to name and shame companies in Nigeria that pay women less than men in the organised labour sector solely because they are women.

I never experienced it , my mother in her 60's did not as she joined a govt parastatal on Level 8 like all young graduates and earned the same as every other person .She and my dad were mates sef and I think she earned more than him at a time as parastatals paid more than the civil service. I know so many other women who have not experienced it but I keep hearing it exists so I cant say it does not if someone lese has experienced it.

let them be deceiving themselves - trying to reap where they did not sow. if you walk into any math or engineering class today in nigeria, the males largely outnumber the females. if you walk into theatre arts or education faculties, the females largely outnumber the males.

when these engineering guys climb up their career leader to start earning 7 figure salaries & the females mostly become english teachers in a public school, feminists would start arguing about unequal gender pay as if there's a supernatural force that prevents women from choosing lucrative college majors.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 10:33am On Jun 08, 2015
FrancisTony:
All these arguments about the name God being masculine is trash.
English Language is too ambiguous and meanwhile, bible wasn't written in it, hence can't used as a yardstick.

Old testament - was written in Hebrew and the name used there, is YAHWEH which denotes no gender.
New testament - was written in Greek and the name used there, is THEOTOKOS which has no gender alignment.

Just as in Igbo and Yoruba, the name Olodumare/Oluwa and Chukwu has no gender and can be used in naming both male and female likewise.
The name "God"(English) is ambiguous and doesn't depict any gender.

Cc Bukatyne
Cococandy
Babygirlfl

Their 'God' has a gender wink

This is Genesis 1 : 27 - 28

27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Morning

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

let them be deceiving themselves - trying to reap where they did not sow. if you walk into any math or engineering class today in nigeria, the males largely outnumber the females. if you walk into theatre arts or education faculties, the females largely outnumber the males.

when these engineering guys climb up their career leader to start earning 7 figure salaries & the females mostly become english teachers in a public school, feminists would start arguing about unequal gender pay as if there's a supernatural force that prevents women from choosing lucrative college majors.

And to think that the UN, with their silly HeforShe, is also actively peddling this fraud is mind-boggling.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 10:34am On Jun 08, 2015
damiso:

I never experienced it , my mother in her 60's did not as she joined a govt parastatal on Level 8 like all young graduates and earned the same as every other person .She and my dad were mates sef and I think she earned more than him at a time as parastatals paid more than the civil service. I know so many other women who have not experienced it but I keep hearing it exists so I cant say it does not if someone else has experienced it.

i think women making such claims are just trying to create and push any sort of complaints of discrimination farther beyond the wall to see what they can get and that is very manipulative which is not uncommon with women(damiso you are not in this category).often many cases of discrimination against women expecially in this 21st century is exagerated.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 10:35am On Jun 08, 2015
Timbuktou:

And to think that the UN, with their silly HeforShe, is also actively peddling this fraud is mind-boggling.

they all seem to be powerless....
it's like the gay trend these days. if you don't speak in their favour then you are anti-gay. if you don't speak in favour of women, you are a misogynist.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 10:37am On Jun 08, 2015
coogar:

they all seem to be powerless....
it's like the gay trend these days. if you don't speak in their favour then you are anti-gay. if you don't speak in favour of women, you are a misogynist.

True that. It's disgusting and saddening at the same time. These women are just boxing shadows. Smh.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 08, 2015
bukatyne:

Their 'God' has a gender wink

This is Genesis 1 : 27 - 28

27 So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Morning
I guess he was referring to only male.

Psalm82 : 6

I said, you are "gods", you are all sons of the Most high.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 10:48am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:

How many years have you spend in the labour market and what industries have you worked in?

Whatever stories I have are hearsay.

For Nigeria Kay17,

I have never heard of any organization in Nigeria there is a wage gap due to gender.

There is wage gap, however it is due to

*Core business of the organization... (a company in telecoms will pay their IP Engineers and Solution Architects more than their financial staff; An IT person in KPMG would surely be miserable)

*God Fatherism: Who brought you in the organization? Head Hr etc.

*Packaging: How you package yourself... Ajebutter that does shait or Ajepako? Sha just be Ajebutter

*Previous Salary: Some yeye organizations have started asking for last pay slip to benchmark the new one

*Certifications: Some pay according to certifications

*Luck: Some people are just paid more by luck grin

*Starting: In some organizations, how you start determines your pay. If you start as an officer with N200K; you might grow through the ranks earning N600K as a manager. Someone employed as a manager straight up might earn N1m angry with same job and experience.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by damiso(f): 11:27am On Jun 08, 2015
troy20:

i think women making such claims are just trying to create and push any sort of complaints of discrimination farther beyond the wall to see what they can get and that is very manipulative which is not uncommon with women(damiso you are not in this category).often many cases of discrimination against women expecially in this 21st century is exagerated.

Discrimination is even largely an illegal activity .. though I agree that Nigeria not being a largely litigious society makes it difficult to pursue those cases. Even that can be changed by a willingness to follow due process but we are generally just lazy to go all the whole hog and people just say ' Wo just leave it and let God be the judge'. If one person can come out with proof that they were discriminated against because of their gender I know a lawyer who will make noise about it cheesy

As I said in my earlier post on this thread what people call discrimination is mostly prejudice that is perpetrated by stereotypes especially in Nigeria. Even the west where anti discrimination laws are in place ( I can speak about the Equality Act in the UK as I did academic study on it) you cant legislate against peoples opinions or control what they think.You can only try to educate them to see things differently.I know from experience and interaction that some white middle class men are as chauvinistic as hell. I had a colleague who once said Maternity Leave is a holiday cheesy and yeah he was white.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by damiso(f): 11:32am On Jun 08, 2015
bukatyne:

For Nigeria Kay17,

I have never heard of any organization in Nigeria there is a wage gap due to gender.

There is wage gap, however it is due to

*Core business of the organization... (a company in telecoms will pay their IP Engineers and Solution Architects more than their financial staff; An IT person in KPMG would surely be miserable)

*God Fatherism: Who brought you in the organization? Head Hr etc.

*Packaging: How you package yourself... Ajebutter that does shait or Ajepako? Sha just be Ajebutter

*Previous Salary: Some yeye organizations have started asking for last pay slip to benchmark the new one

*Certifications: Some pay according to certifications

*Luck: Some people are just paid more by luck grin

*Starting: In some organizations, how you start determines your pay. If you start as an officer with N200K; you might grow through the ranks earning N600K as a manager. Someone employed as a manager straight up might earn N1m angry with same job and experience.

Spot on analysis on why there might be pay differences in Nigeria.

Not being able to speak English fluently sef can make people discriminate against you in Nigeria grin In secondary school I was on the debating team and I can never forget one debating competition that we attended. The final was between Vivian Fowler and St Finbarrs College. If you looked at the points marshalled in the debate,St Finbarrs College won hands down but guess who won the debate wink Vivian Fowler. I guess the judges could not get past the foneh and creamness of the Vivian Fowler girls as opposed to the pakoish look and English of the Finbarrs boys. grin grin

Apologies to any alumni of St Finbarrs College on here grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 11:36am On Jun 08, 2015
Sambarry? Must you share all posts? Hian! sad My followers share feed, eh....
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by SAMBARRY: 11:39am On Jun 08, 2015
FrancisTony:
Sambarry? Must you share all posts? Hian! sad
My followers share feed, eh....
i must my dear smiley
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 11:42am On Jun 08, 2015
SAMBARRY:
i must my dear smiley
I mean peoples' post(s) on every thread.
Atleast, "LIKE" is okay for inconsequential ones and interesting ones would be shared.

You have shared over 30posts this morning.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by SAMBARRY: 11:49am On Jun 08, 2015
FrancisTony:

I mean peoples' post(s) on every thread.
Atleast, "LIKE" is okay for inconsequential ones and interesting ones would be shared.

You have shared over 30posts this morning.
That's because I'm not a selfish woman. I love to share wink

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by troy20(m): 11:50am On Jun 08, 2015
damiso:

Discrimination is even largely an illegal activity .. though I agree that Nigeria not being a largely litigious society makes it difficult to pursue those cases. Even that can be changed by a willingness to follow due process but we are generally just lazy to go all the whole hog and people just say ' Wo just leave it and let God be the judge'. If one person can come out with proof that they were discriminated against because of their gender I know a lawyer who will make noise about it cheesy

As I said in my earlier post on this thread what people call discrimination is mostly prejudice that is perpetrated by stereotypes especially in Nigeria. Even the west where anti discrimination laws are in place ( I can speak about the Equality Act in the UK as I did academic study on it) you cant legislate against peoples opinions or control what they think.You can only try to educate them to see things differently.I know from experience and interaction that some white middle class men are as chauvinistic as hell. I had a colleague who once said Maternity Leave is a holiday cheesy and yeah he was white.
read a certain similar post once where you tried to differentiate them as stereotypes and prejudices.which is not uncommon with human beings.and offcourse you cant control or legislate on what people think but you can educate them.enjoy your wide input as always.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 11:53am On Jun 08, 2015
damiso:

Spot on analysis on why there might be pay differences in Nigeria.

Not being able to speak English fluently sef can make people discriminate against you in Nigeria grin In secondary school I was on the debating team and I can never forget one debating competition that we attended. The final was between Vivian Fowler and St Finbarrs College. If you looked at the points marshalled in the debate,St Finbarrs College won hands down but guess who won the debate wink Vivian Fowler. I guess the judges could not get past the foneh and creamness of the Vivian Fowler girls as opposed to the pakoish look and English of the Finbarrs boys. grin grin

Apologies to any alumni of St Finbarrs College on here grin grin grin

Talk like you have hot yam in your mouth and you are the best for the job undecided

Don't also forget to use designer stuffs down to your cufflinks or earrings and ensure you flash them.

God now helps you and you did your masters 'abroad'

Na Godwin be that.

It is so terrible when 5 people in a dept. are not different salary scales (same level o)

Now come from Alapere and Son's Ltd and be in the dept of those from Multinationals (even if they were sweeping there tongue); you will have the technical know how, do most of the work and still be behind salarywise angry sad

Packaging is the way to go cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Jealous Wife Thinks Her Husband's Regional Manager Is His Side Chick (Video) / Benue Permanent Secretary, Pregnant Wife, 2 Kids Burnt To Death In Fire Outbreak / 24-year-old UK Woman Artificially Inseminated Herself; Gave Birth To A Baby Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.