Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,375 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! (51349 Views)

I Hereby Denounce Feminism With Everything In Me. / Feminism: The True Colour / Girl Destroys Feminism In Just 3 Minutes. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 10:54am On Jun 03, 2015
I may or may not touch on other points raised here, but I simply couldn't let this pass, especially since it went unchallenged and has been repeated so often some people may well take it as gospel.

Bukatyne, your submission below is an example of the tortured exegesiss one needs to engage in to claim to be a Christian and a feminist. Although you may well claim adherence to the basics of feminism i.e. esentially "equal opportunites & access", as do I, by way of what's written in the bible, another central tenet of feminism, is it's antipathy for marriage, which it views as a vehicle for oppressing women.

The bible is clear - through both the old and new testaments - that headship, i.e overall authority in marriage, lies with the husband. A self-purported christian feminist - Feminianist grin - will always struggle at this point, reject one or the other, or as you have done warp one in order to contain the other. But essentially end up as neither fish nor fowl. Or as Pickabeau1 likes to frame it "oil and water don't mix".

bukatyne:
Submission: Has had people in stitches for ever;
This is simply not true, there has never been any contention over male authority/headship in marriage, until feminism brought it's views to bear. And your giving primacy to feminist ideology is what begets your "stitch" with scripture.

bukatyne:
that is one is the reasons men are opined to be superior to women grin
Anyone who opines thus is mistaken, we are all equal in Christ, creationally and in our value to God - Genesis 1:27, Galations 3:28, 1st Corinthian 12:13 (amongst others). You introduced the term "superior".

Just as my son - due to age - would be charged with greater responsibilty in the absence of both parents. Tasking him with greater responsibility and thus affording him the corresponding authority does not make him superior to his sister - likewise husband and wife.

bukatyne:
Ephesians 5:21 says we should submit to one another out of reverence for Christ (Sorry to non-believing Bible folks...)
The apology should be extended to believers grin, this is just shoddy - in the interest of equality I have to apply the same level of rebuke I would to a man grin!

Ephesians 5:21 is talking in a general fellowship context; there are at least two other texts which spell out the dynamic in a Christian marriage. The first you simply could'nt have missed as not only does it come right after the verse you quoted, it actually contextualises it shocked.

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife,
Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Titus 2:5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands
1 Peter 3:1 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands
1 Peter 3:5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,

bukatyne:
and the love God expects from husbands in in 1 Cor 13. Submission really is esteeming your husband above you or putting him first; Love is esteeming your wife above you or putting her first. A couple practice this and there is a balance and they are in heaven. cheesy
First asserting that marital submission is mutual (essentially rendering it meaningless), by utilising a generalist text, ignoring numerous marital specific ones, and then making it sounds like the husbands call to love - as if the wife is nowhere called to love? - makes him a servant to his wife - as he "puts her first" - is essentially making her his head

It's essentially a compound error (or a comedy of them grin), as you first claim submission is mutual, you then equate submission to love and then "equalise" them as demands on both parties.

It's a particualr pernicious error, as it effectively denies the God ordained creational differences and the nuance given to ensure we best flourish in our mutual "complimentarity".

Understand and follow where your beliefs and thinking lead you. You are effectively denying the difference between the sexes. It's why feminism and the gay lobby are effectively twinned - both deny the inherent nature of males and females, which are asymetrical but perfectly aligned.

bukatyne:
I am very proud to be a feminist and have a loving home ( I guess I can have it all) and like Coco says, I do not apologize for it.
Yes, you are indeed a feminsit as stated, and I will not even venture so far as to question the love in your marital home. But no, your position is not the christian one, and no matter how loving your home is, if ordered according to your exposition, it is simple not in accordance with scripture.

bukatyne:
I am also trying to see how feminism = not getting married or been a bad wife undecided. Feminism is a lifestyle which should affect the way you relate with people and your ideals in life.
Like I said earlier, feminsim is opposed to marriage, seeing it as oppressive. So whilst being married although questionable, is certainly possible for a feminist, the required dynamic of a feminist marriage is not possible for a Christian husband and wife.

bukatyne:
I am a feminist, I believe men and women are equal and translate that into my everyday life.
A fallacy, as from a Christian perspective at least, no one has stated that they are not; what are in view are headship and authority.

bukatyne:
And do, I do not have to announce to everyone, my actions speak for me cheesy
And the questions begged with regard "actions" within marriage are;

1. Does a wife submit to her husbands overall authority/headship?
2. Does he have authority over her or is authority/headship somehow "equally shared"?

TV

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by coogar: 11:00am On Jun 03, 2015
VictoriaBee:

Chimamanda? You are wrong.

I think that's Chukwuka.

the interpretation varies.
in my own clan, it means what i just told you. if God's power doesn't fall, it simply means the power is above all.
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 11:37am On Jun 03, 2015
Stilly, Stilly, Stilly, a good effort, but not one that convinces me there is any merit in feminism.

Firstly, you have hared totally down the wrong track with your notions of chivalry. As the definition you posted describes it is a code of behaviour derived from moral, societal and religious codes - all of which recognise the inhenret difference between male and female, hence affording them the courtesy chivalry demands.

While chivalry is a European word, the notion of courtesy and protection towrds women is rooted in all men and cultures - even if it's form is different.

Most ironically feminism drives out chivalrous practice in men by it's strident insitence on equality/sameness.

Stillfire:
Yes I believe in the interdependence ideals of marriage, where an assigned role to each species is NOT seen as less or more important to the other. That interdependence in itself is Feminist.
And no one has said the roles make either superior have they. They are just different and clearly aligned to our complimetary natures. And pray tell how interdependence is feminist?

Stillfire:
I cannot feign ignorance on the societal, religiously and cultural expectations of a wife to be subservient to the husband. Such cultural expectations is not one of interdependence, but dependency.
Oh please! "subservient"? Which religion do you speak of, I can hold brief for Christianity and confidently say "it aint so Joe"

Stillfire:
That itself has placed an hierarchy and places men as superior to females. If males are superior, are you as a woman an inferior species? Because that is clearly what you are telling me.
Nope, not a hierarchy, no notions of superior or inferior, but order and harmony. You are seeing things here.

Stillfire:
Fela is apt in my description. He is not a gentleman. A gentlemen is a chivalrous and a courteous man. Maleness is not personified as chivalrous in African culture, he is authoritative and women are to open doors for him instead. For an African woman to be using chivalry as a reason why she does or doesn't believe in feminism is laughable at its best.

Examples of chivalry

1. Opening doors

A guy who takes the time to come around and open the car door for you is a keeper, not to mention a commodity this winter.

With certain states getting up to five inches of snow an hour, do you want to be left standing outside in a blizzard while your date gets nice and toasty in the driver’s seat?

Recognize and appreciate a guy who puts your comfort and well-being first, even if it’s just for a few extra seconds.

2. Saving the last bite of food

They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. So, when he saves the last bite for you, it’s basically him saying he likes you more than whatever meal is in front of him. Which, for the record, is a lot.

3. Spending time with your family

A guy who shows an interest in your baby photos, coaches your little brother on how to throw a football and compliments your mother’s cooking is a guy who’s in it for the long haul. These are small gestures, but they speak volumes about his intentions.

4. Suffering through a girly movie

When a man volunteers to endure a girly show or movie because he knows you’ll enjoy it, he earns major bonus points. (Even more if he does so without complaining or expecting something in return.)

5. Sending flowers

I’m not talking about the $100 bouquet you get on Valentine’s Day. I’m talking about the grocery store assortment he picked up on a random Tuesday while thinking of you. There’s just something about unexpected flowers that makes a girl smile.

6. Walking on the outside of the sidewalk

The first time someone does this, you will probably be confused. But then you’ll start to question how come other men in your life have never been concerned about positioning themselves in such a way that you’d be protected should curbside tragedy strike.

It’s not a must, but it’s certainly nice to have.

7. Kissing your forehead

Sure, if you’re hoping to date someone and he does this, it can be a dreaded sign of sibling-like affection.

But, if you’re in a long-term relationship and your guy does this, it’s a small gesture that can make you feel adored.

8. Putting your jacket on

Does the above sound African to you?
It doesn't have to. These are secondary "feelgood" or beta traits in the male-female dynamic. Non of these in and of themselves will attract you to a man or make you consider him as your husband. These are after the deal has been done. And African men demonstrate chivalry in a way African women understand and respond to.

Stillfire:
The African male considers it his duty to provide, the other qualities that is important in the sustenance of the marriage is none of his business.
Chivalry should be left for oyibos to debate whether they want it or not.
That discussion has nothing to do on an african forum.
Unless we can define it in our own African way... a man pounding yam is very chivalrous! grin grin grin grin grin
I answered this in opening.

TV

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 11:41am On Jun 03, 2015
Darkrebel666:

• Yes, I said I believe in equality of the sexes, but i strongly disagree that women are being discriminated against in Nigeria. you are given equal platforms, sent to school and can secure jobs as well.

Like I said, it is mental. In the southwest, I know there is no discrimination against admission into schools and pay wage due to gender. As for employment, I do not know

I also don't think Nigerian feminists know what they really want. I think they are pretenders that just want to feel westernized, because I still don't know what they are vying for.

How does someone becomes westernized by believing men and women are equal? I will become westernized easier by developing a fake accent.

How can a free man be lamenting all day and begging for freedom?

Who are the free people begging for freedom? Remember this is a forum for discussions hence the usual back and forth; this does not happen in life. People more of act out what they believe in.

• The "likes" and social media aspect was an analogy to prove to you that women(Nigerian) are shown preferential treatment and favored and aren't discriminated against.
Why should a woman get 100000 likes on Facebook just for saying "she's thirsty online" and why should a man get 10 likes for his picture that's been up for 2 months?
. Isn't that gender discrimination against men? But are we crying. Yet we continue to like your photos cos unlike you we aren't nagging or cry babies. or you think its the Seraphim in the 7th heaven that likes the photo?

This holds no water. Nobody is mandated to like a like girl's picture neither is there a structure in place to force or even persuade the liking... Most of them are liking it because they probably want some from her. 1 am very sure 90% of the likers are men.

• Don't even include the house chore thing. its totally irrational and without a droplet of logic
How can you compare mere house chores to venturing out daily to face the asperity and harshness of the Spartan world to source for bread?. even if its not a manual job, house chores isn't close to that. Don't include it at all

Oh please, do not go there at all

You are not talking to a 3yr old that daddy works so hard to take care of you; In the Nigerian corporate space, you are not given assignments based on your gender; it is based on what you were employed for and your boss. Except in your part of Lagos, women face different traffic and different work. In my coy for example, all the support service staff are ladies (Probably due to referrals as they are mostly from one tribe) and they change the water in the dispenser. Male colleagues call them to change it as per women are weaker bla bla.

Most women who have done both will tell you they prefer office runs.

Except the man is the one splitting wood for his coy sha

• You said the inequality and discrimination is a mental thing?... correct. That's what you should have said since.
In as much as it isn't manifested physically in Nigeria here especially, its still ingrained in the cerebrums of every male in the spiral galaxy that we are superior to these people.(women)
I accept and agree. but I'm sorry you can't change that and I don't think that mentality is changing anytime soon.

I have been saying it; even in my first post to Coco.

With time it will change... it is not as bad as it was years back.

(I'm not a believer) but even the Bible said you know who took from Adam's ribs to create 'b1tch' grin
The same bible said women should submit to their husbands.

Lol @ youknowwho... I don't grin I only know God smiley

Taking from the ribs is a sign of oneness.. hence the bone of my bone and the flesh of my flesh stuff
Submission does not make a woman inferior to her husband

• My point is: feminists should apply the animal farm theory which is: All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others
In this case we males are more equal, no matter how equal the society may seem or you want it to be. that utopian society feminists want is never gonna happen.

You know what happened in Animal Farm?

We are biological animals and its all about survival of the fittest. Why would you think you are equal with someone you are physically stronger than, faster than, emotionally fortified than, and most times more smarter than?

Are you saying Muhammed Ali is superior to El-Rufai or Doyin Okupe?

If you really want equality then I should be able to slap a woman without being called names.

Lalai Ali should be ready and able to get into a ring with Floyd may weather or Vitali klitchko

Venus Williams must be ready to play with Rafael nadal

women and men should also play soccer together and compete. I.e Lionel Messi play with women and against women etc

What happens to a woman who slaps a man? Is slapping a woman now a good thing that we should clamour for?

In your examples, you are referring to their strength; Is El-Rufai inferior to Mayweather? (I know if they get into the ring in a fair fight, we might not be able to gather enough parts of El for burial)

That's when its gonna be equal, but why are we deceiving ourselves though.? no matter what , we(males) would still come out on top...
Feminists/women would never own a phallus or be men.

Female feminists do not want a dick or neither do they want to be men.

Cheers.

Have a great day

How you believe in equality of the sexes and still believe that men are more equal than women?

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Joy1706(f): 12:13pm On Jun 03, 2015
Darkrebel666:

hehe
you are already seeing yourself as a sex object, or why else would you rush to conclude males like a female's photo because they want to gain access to her jackpot?
see the way a woman has totally debased and degraded her kind ..

and how sure are you about the house chore thing?
Males grew up doing house chores.. or is sweeping and tidying up the room not a house chore?

you wanna compare that to going out daily and working from 6 to 6.
so primitive to say that.

I asked bukatyne before and now I'm asking you.
would you rather prefer if the system operates inversely i.e women go out to work from 6 to 6 while men stay at home to do the so-called 'strenuous and difficult' house chores?
I didn't debase my kind. I debased your kind. We all know how you guys think. When you see comments like....'baby, your so sexy, I love your boobs etc...' please tell me what else is in the minds of those guys apart from sex.
My dear, women go out 6 to 6 and still come home to do those chores. How many males were taught to do chores? Extremely few. Besides,a man could go out 6 to 6 and do maybe just paper work as opposed to the woman who'll be home washing, cooking, cleaning etc. Which is more strenuous then?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 12:19pm On Jun 03, 2015
Darkrebel666:

hehe
you are already seeing yourself as a sex object, or why else would you rush to conclude males like a female's photo because they want to gain access to her jackpot?
see the way a woman has totally debased and degraded her kind ..

and how sure are you about the house chore thing?
Males grew up doing house chores.. or is sweeping and tidying up the room not a house chore?

you wanna compare that to going out daily and working from 6 to 6.
so primitive to say that.

I asked bukatyne before and now I'm asking you.
would you rather prefer if the system operates inversely i.e women go out to work from 6 to 6 while men stay at home to do the so-called 'strenuous and difficult' house chores?

Now I know you are living in wonderland

How many wives stay at home
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
Joy1706:

I didn't debase my kind. I debased your kind. We all know how you guys think. When you see comments like....'baby, your so sexy, I love your boobs etc...' please tell me what else is in the minds of those guys apart from sex.
My dear, women go out 6 to 6 and still come home to do those chores. How many males were taught to do chores? Extremely few. Besides,a man could go out 6 to 6 and do maybe just paper work as opposed to the woman who'll be home washing, cooking, cleaning etc. Which is more strenuous then?

would the men make such comments if the ladies didn't present themselves to the social media as wh0res or sex objects ? answer is no.
you are addressed the way you are dressed and packaged.
so if I see a lady with half of her b00bs exposed to the internet and millions of people, I should congratulate and respect her. of course not, I would only see her as a intimacy gadget and s£x t0y.. you can't blame me if I make a profane comment, and trust me a lot of women even relish those comments.
you want to say you don't like the fact or feel good because about 100 men desire you and wanna hump you? don't bother answering cos everybody knows you women folks love the attention you get.

I never said women don't go out to work
and sit idle at home
I only want to make it clear that the manly duties such as paying of rent and stuffs can't be compared to house chores..
house chores can never be on the scale as
paying of rent,
bills
school fees
foodstuffs etc

how about I do the house chores and my wife does the above enumerated?

4 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by damiso(f): 12:28pm On Jun 03, 2015
FrancisTony:

Lol, you've a point.

It's just like a randomn male saying Okonjo-Iweala or Folorunsho Alakija is beneath him which isn't true.

But in gender stereotype/chauvinism, Okonjo and Alakija would be discriminated hence gender inequality.

Yes naa abi you think that male driver who carries his madams bag and is summoned to come and load all the souvenirs into the car after her owambe runs is equal to the madam grin don't think so. cheesy He is probably sat in the car in the hot sun( woe betide him if he switch on the AC and waste her fuel grin) while madam is chilling in her air conditioned hall embarassed

Stereotypes /chauvinism are not necessarily discrimination. They are attitudes and like has been said by some already is kinda cultural.

E.g. I think women should not contest for political office because they are weak and emotional. that is chauvinism and stereotypes. Discrimination is me intentionally not selling her a political nomination form because of her gender even though she meets the criteria or standards of all the other aspiring office holders. That is what is illegal.

We cant control people's attitudes and perceptions but we can legislate against discrimination.

I have lived in Nigeria and I can say that I was never discriminated against because of my gender. I can however say that I have encountered my own fair share of chauvinism and stereotyping.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 03, 2015
bukatyne:

Now I know you are living in wonderland

How many wives stay at home

that's not what I meant. I just replied joy17 now. go read it
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by danbrowndmf(m): 12:42pm On Jun 03, 2015
Darkrebel666:

would the men make such comments if the ladies didn't present themselves to the social media as wh0res or sex objects ? answer is no.
so if I see a lady with half of her b00bs exposed to the internet and millions of people, I should congratulate and respect her. of course not, I would only see her as a intimacy gadget and s£x t0y.. you can't blame me if I make a profane comment, and trust me a lot of women even relish those comments.
you want to say you don't like the fact or feel good because about 100 men desire you and wanna hump you? don't bother answering cos everybody knows you women folks love the attention you get.

and sit idle at home
I only want to make it clear that the manly duties such as paying of rent and stuffs can't be compared to house chores..
paying of rent,
bills
school fees
foodstuffs etc

some body will be showing her ass and butocks on social media and still want me to address her as a pastor...SHM...ts nt done anywhere.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 12:52pm On Jun 03, 2015
Darkrebel666:

I 100% agree you are addressed the way you are dressed

Darkrebel666:

You sure are a mind reader

Not everyone loves the attention of lewd men. But again, I will say don't dress like one

Darkrebel666:
and sit idle at home
paying of rent,
bills
school fees
foodstuffs etc

How many houses is financed by the husband alone?
What is the work in paying bills? Transferring the money from your account to the care taker's?
Is there a special type of work men do in their coy when want to pay bills?

All these na wash
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 2:02pm On Jun 03, 2015
TV01:
I may or may not touch on other points raised here, but I simply couldn't let this pass, especially since it went unchallenged and has been repeated so often some people may well take it as gospel.

Ok

TV01:
Bukatyne, your submission below is an example of the tortured exegesiss one needs to engage in to claim to be a Christian and a feminist. Although you may well claim adherence to the basics of feminism i.e. esentially "equal opportunites & access", as do I, by way of what's written in the bible, another central tenet of feminism, is it's antipathy for marriage, which it views as a vehicle for oppressing women.

Is there anywhere feminism is said to be antimarriage?

TV01:
The bible is clear - through both the old and new testaments - that headship, i.e overall authority in marriage, lies with the husband. A self-purported christian feminist - Feminianist grin - will always struggle at this point, reject one or the other, or as you have done warp one in order to contain the other. But essentially end up as neither fish nor fowl. Or as Pickabeau1 likes to frame it "oil and water don't mix". This is simply not true, there has never been any contention over male authority/headship in marriage, until feminism brought it's views to bear. And your giving primacy to feminist ideology is what begets your "stitch" with scripture

The husband is the head of the Home; Head here means source. That's why I do not support a woman to ask a guy out; That's why traditionally we bear our husband's surname (depends on agreement). I have never related headship to mean total authority... You cannot even total authority over your child past a certain stage.

TV01:
Anyone who opines thus is mistaken, we are all equal in Christ, creationally and in our value to God - Genesis 1:27, Galations 3:28, 1st Corinthian 12:13 (amongst others). You introduced the term "superior". Just as my son - due to age - would be charged with greater responsibilty in the absence of both parents. Tasking him with greater responsibility and thus affording him the corresponding authority does not make him superior to his sister - likewise husband and wife.

I believe you have not got on with the times... even on this thread, people have said women are inferior to their husbands/men. I did not start the phrase.

TV01:
The apology should be extended to believers grin, this is just shoddy - in the interest of equality I have to apply the same level of rebuke I would to a man grin!

undecided

TV01:
Ephesians 5:21 is talking in a general fellowship context; there are at least two other texts which spell out the dynamic in a Christian marriage. The first you simply could'nt have missed as not only does it come right after the verse you quoted, it actually contextualises it shocked.

Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife,
Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.
Titus 2:5 to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands
1 Peter 3:1 Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands
1 Peter 3:5 For in this manner, in former times, the holy women who trusted in God also adorned themselves, being submissive to their own husbands,

First asserting that marital submission is mutual (essentially rendering it meaningless), by utilising a generalist text, ignoring numerous marital specific ones, and then making it sounds like the husbands call to love - as if the wife is nowhere called to love? - makes him a servant to his wife - as he "puts her first" - is essentially making her his head

Maybe it was a very bad idea responding to you.

I said submission is putting your husband first and love is putting your wife first. If they both put themselves first, how is the husband a slave to the wife? Why did you pick a part of my post make a point? undecidedIs the husband not also called to respect his wife in 1 Pet? Can a man genuinely love his husband without respecting her? Can a woman genuinely submit to her husband without loving him? I used genuinely for submission because a lot of people mistake eye service for submission.

Or should the wife put her husband first (because he is the head) and the man puts himself first too?

Do you put your wife first? If yes, is she your head?

@ Lucida: are men not called to love again?

TV01:
It's essentially a compound error (or a comedy of them grin), as you first claim submission is mutual, you then equate submission to love and then "equalise" them as demands on both parties.

[b]Where did I say submission and love are same? What is even the difference? This is love expected from husbands:

1 Corinthians 13 New King James Version (NKJV)

The Greatest Gift

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NKJV

Please what is submission? The practical act[/b]

TV01:
It's a particualr pernicious error, as it effectively denies the God ordained creational differences and the nuance given to ensure we best flourish in our mutual "complimentarity".

I see

TV01:
Understand and follow where your beliefs and thinking lead you. You are effectively denying the difference between the sexes. It's why feminism and the gay lobby are effectively twinned - both deny the inherent nature of males and females, which are asymetrical but perfectly aligned.

Can you quote a post of mine outside this thread (not out of context) that denies the difference between sexes? Infact, no two human is same so what is the hype about the difference of men and women? I went to a boarding house and lived with twins so I know that even extremely identical twins do not behave same way or even like the same things or do same subjects.

So feminism = gay lobby? interesting.

TV01:
Yes, you are indeed a feminsit as stated, and I will not even venture so far as to question the love in your marital home. But no, your position is not the christian one, and no matter how loving your home is, if ordered according to your exposition, it is simple not in accordance with scripture.

Fortunately for us, we are not gunning to go to TV's heaven cheesy

TV01:
Like I said earlier, feminsim is opposed to marriage, seeing it as oppressive. So whilst being married although questionable, is certainly possible for a feminist, the required dynamic of a feminist marriage is not possible for a Christian husband and wife.

Unfortunately, I do not see how saying men and women are equal is against marriage. While I will not deny that there are extremists who cry foul at male toilets and free the tips (a woman still beat her little son because he wanted to free his tips (I keep saying I have never seen a responsible man bearing his tips), I cannot be held accountable for them. How I choose to interpret it is dependent on my outlook to life and personality.[/quote]

TV01:
A fallacy, as from a Christian perspective at least, no one has stated that they are not; what are in view are headship and authority.

And the questions begged with regard "actions" within marriage are;

1. Does a wife submit to her husbands overall authority/headship?: [b]What overall authority are you referring to?

2. Does he have authority over her or is authority/headship somehow "equally shared"?Same as above

[b]I remember certain things you have said as regards your wife... (my apologies if I mixed one or two things up; I don't cram details of people's lives here)

1. First, when her club lost, you said you need some chores and cooking to cheer her up and see if she would give you some
2. On the thread about housewives or so, you said you wanted to move somewhere else but she will not bulge; you apparently went on holiday there and hoped she saw the light
3. You also said on the thread above you wished she would stop working however you know she wouldn't
4. You once told coco that submission is not blind obedience
5. You said you have never shouted on your wife before; that anytime you feel like rinsing, you come to NL
6. You said , you have total authority on your wife; when challenged, you said she makes about 90% of the decisions and you have never used the 'total authority'
7. You said you do chores at home regularly

Honestly, if your wife told me all these, I would say send my warm regards to your husband, he is a loving one. On NL, lipsrsealed

Now if you cannot/could not force her cook/do chores or tell her to la liga; force her to resign; Force her to move; do not expect blind obedience to her, trust/allow her to make decisions, have never used your 'total authority' etc.

How do you prove this total authority or headship?

Or is this just a case of saying a phrase without weight?[/b]

TV01:
TV

Now to summarize,

You believe men and women are equal?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TV01(m): 3:15pm On Jun 03, 2015
Bukatyne, when did you become an epistleer grin!
bukatyne:
Is there anywhere feminism is said to be antimarriage?

Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.[This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.

Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.
The basic Wiki definition – “equal rights” in marriage demanded by feminism is contrary to male leadership outlined in the scriptures.

And all your posts on this issue are clearly in accord with feminism. You always blanket anything that ascribes leadership in the marital home to males. Be it by making submission = love, or headship =source, or playing on mutual/reciprocal respect, you inherently deny it. That is feminism subsuming Christinaity

But even beyond that, feminsist thought-leaders are largely against marriage and even hostile towards it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_marriage#The_feminist_approach

Bukatyne, no need for story, please answer the questions;

1. Is there a scriptural notion of men being the designated leader or having overall responsibility in the marital home?
2. Does a wife submit to her husbands headship?
2. Does he have authority over her or is authority/headship somehow "equally shared"?
3. Does submission = love?
4. Does head = source and have no implications for leadership or authority?
5. Even if spouses put one another first, love and respect each other, does this mean there is no question of leadership in the marital home?

I love my wife, and quite often I give leave to her wishes/preferences/desires, I don’t expect blind obedience. I’d be rather sad/worried if she didn’t analyse my take on things and/or have positions/counter-analyses of her own. Although I get that she trusts me implicitly cheesy! I have never raised my voice, hands or used foul language in her presence.

I make her a nutribullet smoothie most mornings and often a tea at night kiss, I have a chore allocation distinct to hers and also carry out many that overlap – like bathing TV02. Sometimes depending on how we are both placed, I may even perform some of hers.

And my wife will confirm all of this, but the fact remains, that if there is an important issue on which we do not agree. I make the call. Everytime. Even as I work to make my wife and children happy, I do not lose sight of my authority and leadership role.

For holidays for example, I’ll specify a few requirements and my wife will research. She returns say 3 locations which all fit the criteria, I’ll typically ask what she prefers, I’ll then probe her reasons why, outline any considerations or concerns I may have, we’ll discuss and perhaps agree. If not, I will almost certainly go with what she wants – as a holiday is simply not that important and I have outlined basal requirementsll

For important issues, even minor ones sef, as we just like yakking grin, we thoroughly discuss, but if we are not in agreement and I don't find my wifes position compelling, I command and my wife heeds/submits/obeys.

And like I've said previously, headship/leadership/authority is not in veiw with every interaction - or even very often - it's not master/slave or owner/employee. But when it is, I wield it cool!

Please answer the questions, and the initial charge about your exegetical denial of male leadership in the home.

TV

bukatyne:
You believe men and women are equal?
Absoutely, but they are not the same, different on practically every level and in so many ways. And they have some designated roles and specific duties within marriage. Leadership is one such - and it sits with the male cool

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 3:56pm On Jun 03, 2015
Christian feminists lipsrsealed The most deluded of all

Jesus says I and my Father are one

Prepare for the Lords Prayers to become "Our Source" and all references to God the Father be removed

https://womenandthechurch.org/news/news-round-up-let-god-be-a-she-the-national-conversation-about-a-god-without-gender/

[size=18pt]God is neither "she" nor "he" says Watch, a group which represents women in the church.
[/size]
The organisation has been accused of trying to "rewrite" Christian doctrine by encouraging people to use the female pronoun when talking about God.

Rev Jody Stowell, vicar at St Michael & All Angels Church in Harrow, says she was "dismayed" by recent reports.

"This is not about making God a woman. This is about creating those proper, Biblical images of God," she explains to Newsbeat.

The ideas surrounding which pronouns to use when talking about God were discussed at a committee meeting in Lambeth Palace, according to Hilary Cotton, chair of Watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32958213/god-is-neither-she-nor-he-say-anglican-priests

https://womenandthechurch.org/news/news-round-up-let-god-be-a-she-the-national-conversation-about-a-god-without-gender/
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by TooNoisy(f): 4:02pm On Jun 03, 2015
Nigerians are about the easiest people to confuse. One wonders why the feminists movement isn't getting any attention in Asia and the Middle East, but seems to be talked about in Nigeria.

But the truth is that feminism isn't making headway in Nigeria at all. We just have a bunch on wannabees on Nairaland who want to feel western but if you examine their lives there is nothing feminist about them.

One of the leading feminists on Nairaland recently got married and traveled abroad to join her husband where she is not currently working. She has not worked for the past one year; all she does is clean, cook and come here to grumble about men on Nairaland. Lot's of such goons in the family section. Just go into the the family section fun room and you will hear their real stories. All they do is cook and clean but the come out and shout they are feminists. Jobless people in real life.

How many of you feminists take turns to cook with your husband? How many of you feminists take turns to do dishes with your husband? How many of you feminists take turns to do heavy lifting with your husbands? A complete bunch of jokers.

8 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 4:05pm On Jun 03, 2015
If God were a woman - by women themselves
an extract of comments made if God were a woman

The bolded is telling

Shona Sibary, writer
All women would look exactly the same. Beauty may be only skin deep but I think most women would admit that it is the cause of the majority of our anxieties, self-esteem issues and deep-rooted envy.
I can’t be the only woman whose life has been blighted by insecurity about how every other female on the planet is either slimmer or prettier then me, or has nicer legs or a smaller bottom.
So, if God were a woman we’d all have the same hair, same figures and same face.
Essentially we’d be clones and would know that men really were picking us for our personality — and nothing else.
Although they’d have to be able to tell us apart in some way so they didn’t accidentally sleep with our sister.

Libby Purves, writer
She would not tolerate any nonsense about whether Her priests should be men, women, gay, straight, transgender, married or celibate: only their actual qualities and deeds would matter.
Any sect leader ordering women to hide themselves in veils, refrain from driving or kowtow to men just because they were male would fall victim to highly embarrassing plagues: boils, sudden balding, itchy lice.
As to the general management of the planet and the universe, it would probably not be much different, since it works pretty well.
Though being female, and keen on keeping things moving, She might spin Earth a bit faster. And be kind to middle-aged knees by knocking a fifth or so off gravity, thus making us all that bit lighter.

Jaci Stephen, TV critic
She wouldn’t have sent Her only son to sacrifice himself on a cross.

Tamasin Day-Lewis, food writer
She’d make sure men loved going shopping. That they remembered the list. Remembered to take their wallet. Remembered that bullet-hard avocados take a week to ripen and that pillow bags of crisps and tortilla don’t go into children’s lunch boxes. Realised that they should never, ever ask how much something cost and even less say it was too expensive, while buying gadgets and electronics and CDs.

Tanith Carey, author
Men would have to pull their weight and give birth, too.
In an outrageous piece of sexism, which could only have been dreamt up by a man and would today result in a giant class-action lawsuit, God had the cheek to declare in Genesis that because Eve took a sneaky bite out of that forbidden apple, every woman would suffer agonising pain when giving birth.
How is that fair when the worst agonies men have to endure is getting their dangly bits caught in their zips from time to time?
So they too would know the sensation of squeezing a small melon out through a tiny orifice — and then being made to feel guilty for asking for pain relief.
But then I bet if a female God did grant my wish, before long Caesarean sections would be handed out as a matter of course on the NHS, no questions asked.
I’d also wager that a cure for stretch marks would miraculously appear, and maternity leave would be extended to a decade — on double pay.

Diana Moran, the Green Goddess
A female God would be kind, compassionate and understanding of the failings of us human beings, whether we are male or female. Perhaps a female God might even be able to understand the failings of men better than a male God?
Some men might honestly declare and share their real worries and concerns with Her, which they never do with another man! And most importantly, a female God would enjoy dressing up in elaborate frocks, cloaks, hats and jewellery like the male clergy have done for centuries!

Erin Kelly, author
She would engineer a more equal society using her ultimate weapon: biology. Around his 20th birthday, every human male would find himself temporarily transformed into a woman.
This would last for a year — a bit like National Service, but with boobs and periods instead of military training.
He’d experience 12 months of being catcalled on the street, groped on the bus, patronised by mechanics, overlooked for promotion and being paid less than his male counterparts, not forgetting having to wear an underwired bra even during a heatwave.
We’d have gender parity within a generation.

Sam Taylor, journalist
There would be a rational reorganisation of the days of the week. At the moment, as any mere mortal woman will tell you, there are just not enough.
So the seven-day week would become the eight-day week. This would allow all the extra time needed to properly compile comprehensive daily lists of things to do and to explain at leisure to the other members of the family the dire consequences of not completing the tasks on the list.
A female God would also make it mandatory for husbands to stop the car and ask someone, anyone, for directions.

Jenni Murray, Woman’s Hour presenter
Men would menstruate and have breasts that produce milk so night feeds would be shared (and they would all look like George Clooney and enjoy gossip and personal revelations during conversation).
Houses would clean themselves. Shopping would be delivered as a result of thought transference and cars would be made redundant as everyone would have their own ‘Beam me up, Scotty’ machine for instant transportation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3108477/If-God-woman-Church-feminists-say-God-wittiest-wisest-writers-imagine-world-higher-female-power-helm.html#ixzz3c0mhXdMK

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2015
Bukatyne, you're on fire. grin

I love Christian feminists just the way I love the most exonerated Blessed Virgin Mary. tongue

Atheist ones?? No, they believe in nothing angry

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:10pm On Jun 03, 2015
TV01:
Bukatyne, when did you become an epistleer grin!

Well Well

TV01:
The basic Wiki definition – “equal rights” in marriage demanded by feminism is contrary to male leadership outlined in the scriptures.

And all your posts on this issue are clearly in accord with feminism. You always blanket anything that ascribes leadership in the marital home to males. Be it by making submission = love, or headship =source, or playing on mutual/reciprocal respect, you inherently deny it. That is feminism subsuming Christinaity

How does equal rights negate male leadership? Doesn't your wife have equal rights with you? Or does equal rights appear when it suits the discuss? I remembered it was one of the points you used to counter polygamy.

TV01:
But even beyond that, feminsist thought-leaders are largely against marriage and even hostile towards it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_marriage#The_feminist_approach

Sorry, not my business what feminist thought-leaders think of marriage. Feminism has been defined and I agree with it and identify myself as someone who has such beliefs. Whatever anyone thinks is what they think. My church has an idea of what a home should look like; it is their business. That is why it is a thougt/idea. Even if it is a commandment, no one can force me to obey.

TV01:
Bukatyne, no need for story, please answer the questions;

1. Is there a scriptural notion of men being the designated leader or having overall responsibility in the marital home?
2. Does a wife submit to her husbands headship?
3. Does he have authority over her or is authority/headship somehow "equally shared"?
4. Does submission = love?
5. Does head = source and have no implications for leadership or authority?
6. Even if spouses put one another first, love and respect each other, does this mean there is no question of leadership in the marital home?

1. I do not know what you mean by overall responsibility; yes I agree husbands are the leaders of their homes
2. Yes a woman does
3. I do not know what you mean by authority here
4. Yes and no
5. See Answer 1.
6. No

TV01:
I love my wife, and quite often I give leave to her wishes/preferences/desires, I don’t expect blind obedience. I’d be rather sad/worried if she didn’t analyse my take on things and/or have positions/counter-analyses of her own. Although I get that she trusts me implicitly cheesy! I have never raised my voice, hands or used foul language in her presence.
I make her a nutribullet smoothie most mornings and often a tea at night kiss, I have a chore allocation distinct to hers and also carry out many that overlap – like bathing TV02. Sometimes depending on how we are both placed, I may even perform some of hers.
And my wife will confirm all of this, but the fact remains, that if there is an important issue on which we do not agree. I make the call. Everytime. Even as I work to make my wife and children happy, I do not lose sight of my authority and leadership role.

Do you make this call even if it is something you have no idea about?

Even if you are making this call, how do you make it? Digging more merits for what you want to do? Looking at if it is critical to you or her or you just say, we are going my way because I am the head?

TV01:
For holidays for example, I’ll specify a few requirements and my wife will research. She returns say 3 locations which all fit the criteria, I’ll typically ask what she prefers, I’ll then probe her reasons why, outline any considerations or concerns I may have, we’ll discuss and perhaps agree. If not, I will almost certainly go with what she wants – as a holiday is simply not that important and I have outlined basal requirementsll

You have even answered part of my question. You go her way because it is more important to her; could it be that you make the last call because it is important to you or something you know well about and not necessarily because you are the head or sole authority (which obviously you are not)

TV01:
For important issues, even minor ones sef, as we just like yakking grin, we thoroughly discuss, but if we are not in agreement and I don't find my wifes position compelling, I command and my wife heeds/submits/obeys.

If you do not find her position compelling... I like this your post; just like examination that has objective and theory parts; you keep dropping answers in one part of it.

Now I ask; if your wife's position is compelling, will you say that 'I am the head', I don't care about your suggestion/points and we go my way?

TV01:
And like I've said previously, headship/leadership/authority is not in veiw with every interaction - or even very often - it's not master/slave or owner/employee. But when it is, I wield it cool!

So when you are not welding this headship/leadership, what happens?

And of course, it is welded in your dreams and maybe on the bed cheesy

If your wife is like the people who are turning the head to where the neck wants, you would probably be doing her wish the few times her points don't 'compel' you cheesy

And I 100% bet that when you are even 'welding' it, it is with a soft voice and cunnily. Like my husband will say, 'I know how to get you to do what I want sometimes' and be 100% certain it is not by barking or authoritatively...

The authority is perhaps for people outside the home.

TV01:
Please answer the questions, and the initial charge about your exegetical denial of male leadership in the home.

TV

I have and leadership in the home (Christian) is not like worldly leadership; it is by example and to serve. I learnt a number of excellent things etc. from my husband doing them to me. I see most reference to leaderships as a call for the husband to do has he likes (surely the things the wife cannot reciprocate).

P.S:I did not get a mention, the bukatyne begins with a small letter.

And one advise, stop painting yourself like a monster in a bid to show you are an 'authority welding husband'; you are not a picture for it.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2015
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:13pm On Jun 03, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 4:14pm On Jun 03, 2015
bukatyne:

Is God a He?

Does He have male sex organs?

stop asking question with questions.. state your point

If God is not a He, what is God then
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:16pm On Jun 03, 2015
pickabeau1:

stop asking question with questions.. state your point

If God is not a He, what is God then

I should stop asking questions with questions? What would I ask with? Answers?

Does spirit have a gender?

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2015
bukatyne:

Is God a He?

Does He have male sex organs?
God is genderless.

Chauvinistic men made it seem like God is HE.

It's just the way church is referred as SHE but in actual sense, it's not a woman.

2 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by crackhaus: 4:17pm On Jun 03, 2015
Lmao... gringrin
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 4:24pm On Jun 03, 2015
bukatyne:

I should stop asking questions with questions? What would I ask with? Answers
Does spirit have a gender?

Whatever you say is the answer

FrancisTony:

God is genderless.
It's just the way church is referred as SHE but in actual sense, it's not a woman.

If chauvinists made God a HE
Accoding to your logic, Jesus is a chauvinist for referring to God as his Father.. Yes?

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:25pm On Jun 03, 2015
FrancisTony:

God is genderless.

That is what I was taught o!

Male and Female was created in the image and likeness of God... Perhaps He has both and the Phallus is more prominent.

The Church is the bride of Christ

Church: Male and female

Perhaps Jesus is also gay undecided

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:26pm On Jun 03, 2015
pickabeau1:

Whatever you say is the answer

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by bukatyne(f): 4:27pm On Jun 03, 2015
FrancisTony:
Bukatyne, you're on fire. grin

I love Christian feminists just the way I love the most exonerated Blessed Virgin Mary. tongue

Atheist ones?? No, they believe in nothing angry

Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 03, 2015
pickabeau1:

If chauvinists made God a HE
Accoding to your logic, Jesus is a chauvinist for referring to God as his Father.. Yes?
Why was Jerusalem referred as a mother?

Does that mean she's a full woman with breeast? NO

Father represents head of authority, and Yahweh sent Yeshua, hence calling God "father".

3 Likes

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 4:37pm On Jun 03, 2015
FrancisTony:

Why was Jerusalem referred as a mother?

Does that mean she's a full woman with breeast? NO

Father represents head of authority, and Yahweh sent Yeshua, hence calling God "father".

Very good..at least you are contributing

However you are going off on a tangent

It's not about sex organs or brêasts

The issue here is which pronoun should Yahweh the father be referred to

He
She
It
Transgendered

Fill in the gap
Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 03, 2015
pickabeau1:

Very good..at least you are contributing

However you are going off on a tangent

It's not about sex organs or brêasts

The issue here is which pronoun should Yahweh the father be referred to

He
She
It
Transgendered

Fill in the gap
He should be referred as, "HE" since he was portrayed as a father but it doesn't make him a man.

White men introduced God as a man so that women will feel inferior.
Introduced God as a white so that blacks will feel inferior.

1 Like

Re: Feminism: A Joke In Nigeria—for Now! by pickabeau1: 4:48pm On Jun 03, 2015
FrancisTony:

He should be referred as, "HE" since he was portrayed as a father but it doesn't make him a man.

[s]White men introduced God as a man so that women will feel inferior.
Introduced God as a white so that black will feel inferior[/s].

Gosh..... your logic is astounding

Where is it said God is a man

The Bible says God is not a man that he should lie

You have a habit of making a point then railing off another set of points which have no bearing to the point.. choi... grin grin.. who spoke of white man now?

1. So if God is a He.. why is there a controversy of Him being made a she by the Watch group. see my posts above

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

My Wife Is Using Excuses To Abandon Me / Marriage With 80000 Salary Per Month? / 19-year-old Boy Impregnates Mother While Testing Love Charm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 197
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.