Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,086 members, 7,821,749 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" (19690 Views)

A Lady's Shocking Prayers For Her Ex Sister-In-Law Who Just Got Married / My Husband Impregnated His 'sister' In Our Matrimonial Home: Wife / Help As My Sister-in-law Is On The Verge Of Cheating On My Brother. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by eyinjuege: 6:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
Babymama1:

The younger serve the older never the other way around
You set your precedent and it will go that way from day one

Another culture that needs to be changed. Why should anyone be born to serve others ? undecided.
I think in any family, all must contribute and play their part and if peradventure a person can't for legitimat reasons, the others should step in and help.

3 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Chinum: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
don't mind her lady nice

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na joke na.

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by freecocoa(f): 6:24pm On Jun 10, 2015
Na wa o, wetin no be problem for this country, people just feeling entitled recklessly.

I'm not calling her no aunty if it were to be me, nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
eyinjuege:

Another culture that needs to be changed. Why should anyone be born to serve others ? undecided.
I think in any family, all must contribute and play their part and if peradventure a person can't for legitimat reasons, the others should step in and help.

I'm sure you are just trying to be an.al
You know exactly what I meant within context
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by eyinjuege: 7:04pm On Jun 10, 2015
Babymama1:

I'm sure you are just trying to be an.al
You know exactly what I meant within context

Yeah, I have the power to read minds
There really is no need being insultive and vulger, but then again no surprise there undecided
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by freecocoa(f): 7:14pm On Jun 10, 2015
cococandy:
@bold
I thought that was pretty obvious.
But then you never know...

It's such things that give people liver to come into your own house and slap you.

Nna lekwa nu o, ya buru mu ihe aru ikpo nmadu aunty by force, oburu kwa onye'm toro ato, tah! Not in a millon lifetimes, culture gbakwa oku.angry

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by bukatyne(f): 7:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
yetseyi:

coogaluta calling elder sisters aunty or not depends on the family. I just feel one should go with what works in one family.

For e.g I call siblings and cousins within the same age range by name . If you are out of my range I can add sister but then that's what works for us. In some families even if you are a month older you must add 'sister' or aunty.

For a wife I would also say observe what works in your husbands family.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Stillfire: 7:19pm On Jun 10, 2015
Where are the guys that often feign ignorance when we talk about culture disrespecting the place of a wife and women being accomplices and enablers of these kind of degrading institutions? As in this case, it's the women that are bitching and still want to practice this in the 21st century. undecided

How did the chic even have the mouth to tell someone older than her to call her Aunty? At least fear will catch me small.

6 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by freecocoa(f): 7:22pm On Jun 10, 2015
Shollypopzz:

I am good, thanks. Just hustling hard so I don't end up like Sagam1te. cool
Lmao grin grin grin. You are one crazy girl.

I hope he's not been deported sha.

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by ladynice: 7:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
Chinum:

e means ekuse o o means okuse o
cheesy cheesy cheesy
thanks alot

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by ladynice: 7:40pm On Jun 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
e is a yoruba word used for referring to someone older than you in yoruba land

o is used for your mate and someone younger

thanks atleast I hv learnt something new

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by SAMBARRY: 8:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
Chinum:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Na joke na.
I know na cheesy

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by cococandy(f): 8:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
Stillfire:
Where are the guys that often feign ignorance when we talk about culture disrespecting the place of a wife and women being accomplices and enablers of these kind of degrading institutions? As in this case, it's the women that are bitching and still want to practice this in the 21st century. undecided

How did the chic even have the mouth to tell someone older than her to call her Aunty? At least fear will catch me small.

Are you trying to ruin our beautiful African culture? grin

3 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Chinum: 8:14pm On Jun 10, 2015
ladynice:

thanks alot

Wasere joor cheesy
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by SAMBARRY: 8:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
grin grin
cococandy:

Are you trying to ruin our beautiful African culture? grin
afi African culture na

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Chinum: 8:15pm On Jun 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I know na cheesy

Ojare grin

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by blesoh(f): 2:48pm On Jun 11, 2015
Dont try that oh,call her by her name,i cal my SIL aunty cos shez older than me like for 10yrs,but d rest who re older than me for 5ys,i call them by their names shikena.

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by blessedqueen(f): 4:27pm On Jun 11, 2015
Msp:
You dont have to call her "aunty" shes not your aunty. Always address her as sister xyz after all shes your new sister by marriage.

If she doesn't like it she can go and die,that's immaturity of the highest order.

I second u
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by blessedqueen(f): 4:29pm On Jun 11, 2015
SAMBARRY:
One of my uncle's wife who's 15 years older than me calls me aunty shewa and uses e for me and I'm always like o puleasssee undecided

we all know It's hypocrisy. I told her to call me directly by my first name and leave all this aunty sh1t because you and I know you can't refer to me like that behind my back. Seriously I don't know why yorubas encourage hypocrisy and fake insincere respect undecided

Anyway different family different rules. If aunty will make her feel good call her aunty and then sometimes use e for her sometimes use o for her

Thank u for being honest..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Jahblessme: 6:44pm On Jun 11, 2015
This is one of the cultural practices that should be abolished.. It's even women who enforce it funny enough.If the people suffering it are fine,no yawa.

However,since you don't like it,you could call the aunty sarcastically..a uu nn ty moomoo,please get me a glass of water. Au nt y moomoo is lunch ready?

There are ways to make people regret ever forcing a decision on you..
Good luck

2 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Ngokafor(f): 8:03pm On Jun 11, 2015
Stillfire:

....like seriously i know understand those that say that women are usually the champion of atrocious cultural practices against other women.The bitching here is really an eye-opener to say the least.
..Imagine a brat 10 or more years younger than me having the audacity to expect that i call her 'aunty' and even insisting in collusion with her female relatives(as usual)that i do so..

..anyway i am happy i do not have to deal with that..ever!

..Aunty my left foot..nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by coogar: 8:39pm On Jun 11, 2015
Stillfire:

at least you are not blaming patriarchy for this one. when we say women are the cause of women's woes, you people pull out your daggers ready to stab me. grin

this is your war - men won't fight this one for y'all.
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Stillfire: 8:55pm On Jun 11, 2015
coogar:

at least you are not blaming patriarchy for this one. when we say women are the cause of women's woes, you people pull out your daggers ready to stab me. grin

this is your war - men won't fight this one for y'all.

Patriarchy made women to think of themselves as passive, weak and that is why they fear to go against culture even if it's not rewarding to them. In fact it is akin to the slave mentality affecting black people today.
The passive trait is just for the patriarchal society not to see them as the rebellious, non-virtuous woman. cheesy
So Patriarchy is still to blame for every damn thing wrong in Africa today, lol. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin Bite me. tongue

1 Like

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by cococandy(f): 8:56pm On Jun 11, 2015
Stillfire:

Patriarchy made women to think of themselves as passive, weak and that is why they fear to go against culture even if it's not rewarding to them. In fact it is akin to the slave mentality affecting black people today.
The passive trait is just for the patriarchal society not to see them as the rebellious, non-virtuous woman . cheesy
So Patriarchy is still to blame for every damn thing wrong in Africa today, lol. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin Bite me. tongue
Don't mind coogar.
He knows.
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Stillfire: 9:00pm On Jun 11, 2015
Ngokafor:

....like seriously i know understand those that say that women are usually the champion of atrocious cultural practices against other women.The bitching here is really an eye-opener to say the least.
..Imagine a brat 10 or more years younger than me having the audacity to expect that i call her 'aunty' and even insisting in collusion with her female relatives(as usual)that i do so..

..anyway i am happy i do not have to deal with that..ever!

..Aunty my left foot..nonsense.

...I guess it's because they know our culture will not give them respect as human beings in other areas, so the area small respect is given to them, they hang on to it like a witch on her broom whether at the detriment of others or not.
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by coogar: 9:05pm On Jun 11, 2015
Stillfire:

The passive trait is just for the patriarchal society not to see them as the rebellious, non-virtuous woman. cheesy

oh puhleaaaze....
you women should take responsibility for once. what has patriarchy gotta do with calling junior ones aunty/brother? is it patriarchy that forces widows to shave their heads, drink the bath water of their husbands corpses?

cococandy:

Don't mind coogar.
He knows.

cococandy, if i hear.......... grin
i know what? ain't you an umuada yourself? the chief priestess that deals with erring women in owerri north local government?
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by cococandy(f): 9:10pm On Jun 11, 2015
If you can't see the relationship,
no need for this discussion.

By the way no one is saying patriarchy is the fault of men. Women take part in establishing it and of course abusing it too.
So by admitting that, I think we've at (least some of us) taken responsibility.

coogar:

oh puhleaaaze....
you women should take responsibility for once. what has patriarchy gotta do with calling junior ones aunty/brother? is it patriarchy that forces widows to shave their heads, drink the bath water of their husbands corpses?

cococandy, if i hear.......... grin
i know what? ain't you an umuada yourself? the chief priestess that deals with erring women in owerri north local government?
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by coogar: 9:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
cococandy:
If you can't see the relationship,
no need for this discussion.

By the way no one is saying patriarchy is the fault of men. Women take part in establishing it and of course abusing it too. So by admitting that, I think we've at (least some of us) taken responsibility.

lol@ at least some of us.
can i have a list of this "some of us" category? i even heard the so much talked about evil FGM was run by women back in the days. they go from house to house to inspect new born daughters and made sure they all got clipped.
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by cococandy(f): 9:19pm On Jun 11, 2015
coogar:

lol@ at least some of us.
can i have a list of this "some of us" category? i even heard the so much talked about evil FGM was run by women back in the days. they go from house to house to inspect new born daughters and made sure they all got clipped.

I number one. I admit women play a huge part in installing the demeaning cultures that are derogatory to women.

That's taking responsibility. Oya shift.
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Stillfire: 10:03pm On Jun 11, 2015
coogar:

oh puhleaaaze....

Who sanctioned those dead body bath drinking sessions? Definitely a sadistic Chief Priest with a dangling and reckless anatomy in his groin.
All these are man's 'generous' gifts to women under the institution of PATRIARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
And because women are afraid to be tagged rebels (like my proud rebellious honorable self cool )of the patriarchal system, they follow the rules to the T to please people like you. grin grin grin grin
Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by coogar: 10:11pm On Jun 11, 2015
Stillfire:

Who sanctioned those dead body bath drinking sessions? Definitely a sadistic Chief Priest with a dangling and reckless anatomy in his groin.
All these are man's 'generous' gifts to women under the institution of PATRIARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
And because women are afraid to be tagged rebels (like my proud rebellious honorable self cool )of the patriarchal system, they follow the rules to the T to please people like you. grin grin grin grin

chief priest? in the matters that concern widowhood? that's not how it works.....

read this piece - this is why everyone of us here should be scared of cococandy as the #1 umuada of igbo region. grin

Re: My Mother-in-law Hates Because I Refuse To Call My Sister-in-law "Aunty" by Stillfire: 10:28pm On Jun 11, 2015
coogar:

chief priest? in the matters that concern widowhood? that's not how it works.....

read this piece - this is why everyone of us here should be scared of cococandy as the #1 umuada of igbo region. grin

Women were and are the foot soldiers of the patriarchal system that allowed all of these to occur. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Calls Out An Eko FM Staff Who Wants To Make His Sister A Second Wife / Women: Guard Your Beauty, It Is A Blessing! / Our Maid Is Pregnant For Our Neighbour And It's Becoming A Nuisance.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.