Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

I Want To Leave My Job For Masters - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (33429 Views)

How I Almost Lost My Job Because Of Orijin Drink. / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / I Lost My Job Because Of My Love For Buhari...( No Regrets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by omazus: 4:14pm On Jun 14, 2015
Itvis not true. You must attend some percentage of the lecture to graduate. Again I hope the essence is to improve yourself and not neccesarily to get another degree.

sseunth:
don't leave the job or u might regret it later...go to a nearby uni..register for master...look for someone that can be updating you frm time to time and help with lesson notes and other...nt compulsory you attend the lectures
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by yommyphresh(m): 4:14pm On Jun 14, 2015
Like someone said, a job paying this low should give you time to run your masters programme too. Please and please, there's a lot more to m.sc bro (it doesn't stop @ just getting notes- m.sc no be b.sc). If you've got people who can sponsor the programme, you can quit and face the programme squarely. If you don't, my brother think twice o.

Well, I was fortunate to get a job just 2 days to my POP (october last year). I earn 40k/month. I'm also enrolling for my m.sc this year @ unilag (part-time o cos I be one man mopol).

My job gives me room to run the programme, the more reason I'm not even in a hurry to get a 'better' job. Yeah my pay is small but one hardly gets a job that gives one enough space to do other stuffs.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by austine4real(m): 4:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
The job is not giving me time. I go on Saturdays but When I look at the number of unemployed youths I think twice about it.
national open is very flexibile u can apply there
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Hope6289(f): 4:23pm On Jun 14, 2015
Pleaaaaaase don't leave that job. Get ur experience, do professional courses. Jobs r so difficult to get, I made the same mistake & what happened after was not funny. Masters will not save u from job hunting

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by raziboi(m): 4:25pm On Jun 14, 2015
Bro.... keep working!!!!!!
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Tobbey(m): 4:25pm On Jun 14, 2015
well . enough said
I FINISHED MY NYSC OCTOBER LAST YEAR TOO. CURRENTLY DOING MY MASTERS THO. BUT NO WORKING YET. AFTER MY MSC. THEN JOB. I'LL ADVICE YOU TO WORK FOR LIKE 3-4 YEARS BEFORE DOING YOUR MASTERS
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Tobbey(m): 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2015
well . enough said
I FINISHED MY NYSC OCTOBER LAST YEAR TOO. CURRENTLY DOING MY MASTERS THO. BUT NO WORKING YET. AFTER MY MSC. THEN JOB. I'LL ADVICE YOU TO WORK FOR LIKE 3-4 YEARS BEFORE DOING YOUR MASTERS
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by tomdon(m): 4:26pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
It is not oooo. The pay is 60k. But I believe the experience is the most important now.

that's not a job. quit that place and go for your masters. what course did you study? masters degree without experience for some courses is useless. anyway you may consider lecturing.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
tomdon:

that's not a job. quit that place and go for your masters. what course did you study? masters degree without experience for some courses is useless. anyway you may consider lecturing.
Economics. I want to do Msc in HR since i love Hr
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by AdeMoss: 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
I work in a tier 1 bank. That should give you an idea how much free time I lack. I got the job after service, in short, I wrote the entry level exam without an idea of what is called GMAT. Still, I run my masters programme in UNILAG. Point is, if you dedicate yourself it is possible. You just can't eat your cake...there'll be sacrifices but in the end it is worth it.
You need that job experience to leave that entry level category. That's when your masters will have more value.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by kilode100(f): 4:34pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Hello everyone, I am a fresh graduate and got my first Job 3 months after Nysc. I am 23 years and I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters. Your opinions please?

Are you a guy?

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
I am a human resources assistant, I want to do msc in HR. I earn 60k. I am eyeing Unilag

My honest piece of advice:

1.Don't waste your precious time doing one useless masters in Unilag. It won't get you anything.
2.While you're working where you are, be on the look out for other jobs in the same field.
3.Get appropriate professional certifications.
4.When you are ready for masters in three years time and at 26, consider top notch British or American universities. If you plan adequately, you will get funding for this.

Therefore at 28/29, with your modest work experience, relevant professional certifications and a strategic masters degree from a reputed university, you will CHOOSE your jobs.

7 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by agog: 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Hello everyone, I am a fresh graduate and got my first Job 3 months after Nysc. I am 23 years and I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters. Your opinions please?

if you are living in Lagos 6 out can register for msc program at Babcock University. lectures and exams take place on Sundays. that's if you can afford it . But if not the job u have now is not paying enough. and by the way if its your parents that will finance the prog I advice you take d opportunity.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Delphi(m): 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
Time for serious life decision!.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jun 14, 2015
This thread has been a real eye-opener cuz I am in the same shoe. But I am pressing on sha.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
kilode100:

Are you a guy?
yes
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by kilode100(f): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
yes

Then go for it.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Delphi(m): 4:39pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:

I have a different view altogether. Go for your Master degree!!!. From your explanation, you have a certainty of variabilities- stable family, second to last child, already-educated-and-working-siblings, young age, have some savings etc. These are good indexes favourable for you to acquire at-a-stretch education career (as you wish). Do you know that some wealthy and educated parents sponsor their children directly to Master level. This is because they have favourable indexes too. Having said thus, look out for a school that is faithful to a slated number of years for studies/graduation (for example, let two years be two years for that). When you must have acquired your Master degree, you can fly to any part of the sky unrestricted. Most people don't have such opportunity. Go, don't be afraid. Upgrade your self simultaneously or afterwards to the professional qualifications biased to your discipline. You will be betterof for that. Life does not obey stereotype. You will get a job after the completion of your Master degree even if it takes some little (infinitesimal) time. However, wherever you work, you will climb your organisational hierarchy faster. Take care!

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Bussietos(m): 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2015
It all depend on the type of programme u want to do and hw d school itself run it own programme I will not lie to yo combining job and school no be small thing ooo I am a living example currently doing my msc (Animal Production and health) at funaab and I teach in lagos for my first year was shuttling work and school together which is not a small thing ooo stress fininsh me no be small bt thanks to God for d academic excellence and strength bt for my second year I have to resign ooo cos of my project which require my attention or else I will run into debt and hypertension might set in. Above all d decision is in ur court. I will suggest u work up to d management and probably get ur timetable @ school den u guys bargain saying u will be @ work for so so period and dis will be ur pay bt mind u it all depend on d pple in dat organization. Bt in another way round ur salary might be meeting ur present need what of d future need I believe if u can go for ur masters or phd whichever way it tends to sort out ur future needs for u
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by delors(m): 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
You got this job without a Masters so why do u want to leave it for a Masters? Sit tight, gain valuable experience, later get your masters.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 4:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
Delphi:
@damzy88: I have a different view altogether. Go for your Master degree!!!. From your explanation, you have a certainty of variabilities- stable family, second to last child, already-educated-and-working-siblings, young age, have some savings etc. These are good indexes favourable for you to acquire at-a-stretch education career (as you wish). Do you know that some wealthy and educated parents sponsor their children directly to Master level. This is because they have favourable indexes too. Having said thus, look out for a school that is faithful to a slated number of years for studies/graduation (for example, let two years be two years for that). When you must have acquired your Master degree, you can fly to any part of the sky unrestricted. Most people don't have such opportunity. Go, don't be afraid. Upgrade your self simultaneously or afterwards to the professional qualifications biased to your discipline. You will be betterof for that. Life does not obey stereotype. You will get a job after the completion of your Master degree even if it takes some little (infinitesimal) time. However, wherever you work, you will climb your organisational hierarchy faster. Take care!
Thanks
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by dozymars(m): 4:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dont ur leave your Job man.
I was in this dilemma some years back. I dropped the masters and continued with my Job.
I got the experience, the money and now i run my own business and i earned my masters later while doing my thing.

Don't leave ur Job man, you can always do your masters later, u are still young.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Adisbro: 4:44pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:

Op. it's good to go 4 ur Msc buh like others have said, u need to acquire some experience b4 leaving the Labour market for Msc or u could combine both if u could actually arrange urself. I actually opt 4 Professional exam while am working.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by takleboy(m): 4:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
Having gone through so many commentators comments, i can hereby categorised all into three:
1. Those that never think its unwise to leave your job for Master
2. Those that deem it feasible to combine both
3. Those(very few) that believe its worthwhile to dump the job to pursue yor programm.
For sure all have basis for their perception, but let me chip in this; it must be ascertained that some individual enjoy being in class thus learning.
To the OP, pls search your mind and define what you want before picking up any advice.
I must say this; I graduated 2012, served in Lagos feb 2013-mar 2014, luckily for me i got my current job Nov 2013 thats 3mnths to d end of ma nysc although i didnt applied they just pulled my CV from an institution where i was running a professional course during my service which reckoned on me skills that are parallel to the career(engr) i am passionate about. I was absorbed into the coy as an intern with little pay despite my skills and knowledge worth more than that but i accepted the offer because i myopically thought it was plus for me to get d job as a corper.
I combined the job, nysc plus my professional training altogether then even as the job required 6am-6am, mon-sun working time as i young dude i believed i can rugged it not knowing it was at my detriment.
Before i finished my first degree i had idea of the i wanted to do my second degree and vowed i wouldnt waste time on it, i picked up the next available entry form during my service yr still, i had to write entry exam so i need to prepare for it hence i combined this to the combination i aforementioned. I got the admission start the programm, so have idea of the whole thing i have to do, it was not very funny but what pains me most is that i accepted offer that does not support my career progression, it does not backup my kind of person and prevails no prospect to me, just because i am abuseminded that its hard to find job. And while working their i had couple of invitations from serious coys and i could not make attendance or some i attend but no further feedback just because my current job didnt allow me time to prepare my self for such opportunities, but recently that i read XFIRE article on 'my dream Career my experience and my lesson' i am a new person with disabusedmindset.
So dude my advice is that, stop to think you can grow farther than where you are now, that you didnt worth more than what u getting now or if u quit that you doomed, but still you should know that years of experience matters and that might just be the onlky one thing you need to pull that dream job, if you need to quit your job for Msc, pls do or better still combine both. Do remember that you need time to integrate all these resource u sought for together to make u better. To be contn....

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by iamwrong(m): 4:51pm On Jun 14, 2015
Stick to your job and equip yourself with the experience,skills and other professional qualifications relevant to the job at hand for a minimum of 2 years to maximum of ten years. I can count many of my mates with UK masters degree roaming the streets looking for jobs and even if you get a job without work experience, you be treated on the same level with fresh first degree graduates.

I can recommend you go for masters if you have a deficit (third class or 2.2) in ur results, but still nothing beats having a few years quality working experience before going for a masters degree.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by olasunky15(m): 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2015
sseunth:
I am a student in my final year in the uni...I know guys that are not attending lectures and are doing well...they only come on saturdays to collect notes from their mates...

im tell u say no undergraduate programme I'm wan do
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by segun82(m): 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2015
[quote author=damzy88 post=34758659]Hello everyone, I am a fresh graduate and got my first Job 3 months after Nysc. I am 23 years and I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters. Your opinions please?[/quote

Young man heed my advice; there is no masters degree in any Nigerian university that is worth leaving your job for. The masters degree will most likely not improve your chances of securing another job. Do not, I repeat, do not even take a study leave for the sake of a masters degree in a Nigerian university. If however, you are going for a masters degree abroad, you may consider quitting your job if its not a very high paying job but if it is, then you have to wait till they agree to give you a study leave - because even a masters degree from a reputable foreign university is absolutely no guarantee that you will secure a great job like the high paying one you might have left. This is the reality of the Nigerian job market.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by adellam16(f): 5:00pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
what do u need our opinion for? R u a kid? Don't u have relatives? Discuss with ur parents and not social media.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nyceguy92: 5:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
[quote author=damzy88 post=34758659]

Going by this Guy's work schedule, he cannot combine both work and studying for his masters.

He can do only one thing at a time.

If money is not a problem, I suggest he goes for his masters now. A better job may come tomorrow.

Remember, he has to rest himself and make out time for other activities of living.

Abi, my people?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2015
segun82:
Young man heed my advice; there is no masters degree in any Nigerian university that is worth leaving your job for. The masters degree will most likely not improve your chances of securing another job. Do not, I repeat, do not even take a study leave for the sake of a masters degree in a Nigerian university. If however, you are going for a masters degree abroad, you may consider quitting your job if its not a very high paying job but if it is, then you have to wait till they agree to give you a study leave - because even a masters degree from a reputable foreign university is absolutely no guarantee that you will secure a great job like the high paying one you might have left. This is the reality of the Nigerian job market.

Substantially true.

However, if he has like 3 years work experience before leaving for masters, plus professional certifications, he will get a GOOD job.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by TedLawrence(f): 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2015
Go to Open University nau, very easy and convenient. My job made me drop out in unilag, I'm in Open University now, no qualms.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by rildwanullahi(m): 5:15pm On Jun 14, 2015
takleboy:
To those that said he can cope
That he doesnt need to attend lectures that he should just read
Please let ask you all, before you give him such advice, does it work for you or have you really tried it that way?
I know why i am asking
have done it Bt was during my ND days

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Top 3 Reasons People Go Broke Before Month End - How To Avoid It / 10 Nigeria Professions That Never Escape Law Of Karma / How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.