Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,268 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

I Want To Leave My Job For Masters - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Leave My Job For Masters (33337 Views)

How I Almost Lost My Job Because Of Orijin Drink. / Should I Sell My Virginity To Retain My Job? / I Lost My Job Because Of My Love For Buhari...( No Regrets) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by aiikay(m): 3:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
Please I have a friend that would need a copy of your resignation to attach in his application letter as a supporting document. lol!
Meanwhile, you've got much advice. Your long term vision is key to your determination. So if not against your solid plan for life, gather a little experience first!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Efizzi: 3:32pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Thanks My net pay is 60k, I am the second to the last in my family, My younger sister just graduated, my elder ones are working,I live with my family, the firm is just average tho it is located on the Island. From the look of things they are not well paid cos I was disappointed when I saw my boss salary.

Hello Friend, after going through your write ups and viewers comments, I would say, you have the potential to achieve far more than this. Do you think 60k/month is your current worth based on your current knowledge and inputs? My dear in Life, No risk no reward. You have a choice here and that is continue to mange your 60k/M salary which is not even enough for transportation and feeding in Lagos or explore other opportunities with faith.
You dont need to be scared to chase your dreams of better future. Dont compare yourself with people who are yet to get jobs or earn 35k per month. you have the power to achieve far more. Do you know you have classmates that did NYSC with you and they earn more than 19m per annum my brother the choice is yours never settle for anything less.

(60k per * 12months = 720k per annum) is this worth staying back for?

NB
The motto of the boys scout is be prepared. There is no doubt this Msc would prepare you for something far better as far as you believe.
Other questions I would have loved to ask you was what did you study and what are you planning to do in Msc, what country do you intend to go to? finally Masters in US, australia and Canada is good. as far as you are open to acquiring knowledge and developing yourself for a better future.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by vitality22(m): 3:33pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Hello everyone, I am a fresh graduate and got my first Job 3 months after Nysc. I am 23 years and I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters. Your opinions please?
I will sincerely advice that you combine the two. Most masters degree lectures are normally from 5pm daily. I don't know about the university of your choice but the university where I did my masters, our lectures starts fro 5pm to 9pm daily and 8am on Saturdays. I normally join for lectures by 6pm daily, as my job is in the banking industry. It won't be easy though but you can do it and be very successfull.
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by CaptPlanet(m): 3:35pm On Jun 14, 2015
You're firm right now is you're comfort zone, if you want to know what's out there or you feel you deserve more, u can quit, go get your masters and start applying for better jobs or better yet, start you're own company.
That's what it should be esp in a sane clime.

However, Nigeria isn't a sane clime, there are no jobs (still doesn't mean people don't get employed everyday) things are quite difficult these days. You're still very young, you have time on your hands. Believe me, if you want to get your masters, now is the best time cos once you near 26-30 there will be no time for it.

My advice, juggle the two now you're still young and fit. Msc classes can happen over the weekends, still talk to your boss about it, try not to make excuses with the Msc when you're lagging behind at work. Be more focused, this means you'll have to get your priorities right....maximise your rest hours, little or no flexing and social life for the time being is worth the sacrifice. You'll have your later years for all that.

I hope this helps. Goodluck.

PS; you get luck o.

5 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 3:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
jesusjewel1:

Won't part time studies be managed with your duties at work? My opinion tho
It cant bro. No time
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by gabe: 3:37pm On Jun 14, 2015
U haven't heard of open university? No lectures
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Joshuaoseoboh(m): 3:39pm On Jun 14, 2015
Bross stick to your job and run part -time masters
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by loadedvibes: 3:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
wetin concern us? undecided
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by manie(m): 3:45pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
It is not oooo. The pay is 60k. But I believe the experience is the most important now.

60k is not bad for a starter in the Nigerian labour market

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by 2rutalk1: 3:47pm On Jun 14, 2015
Kai, see comments! unemployment and poverty have really turned Nigerian Youths to something else. Nobody is talking about passion again everything boils down to salary. Op, I would have advised you to quit your job since you are still living with your parents and go for Msc and proceed to PhD thereafter but i discovered your interest is not tailored towards academics. So you can apply for MILR (Master of industrial and Labour Relations) In UNILAG since you want to be a HR person. Go for part time, their lectures hold in the evening between 6 and 8pm , Mondays to Fridays. For those of you saying he can do msc programme in UNILAG without attending lectures, pls be mindful of the department. There are so many departments in UNILAG where you cant try that and succeed. Again. remember your CGPA must be up to 2.4 before you can graduate from UNILAG in MSC level. Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Hello everyone, I am a fresh graduate and got my first Job 3 months after Nysc. I am 23 years and I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters. Your opinions please?
my friend stay in that job for at least a year to have a comparative advantage. You will be much more employable after yoyr masters if its in line with your work experience.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by eagleeye2: 3:49pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Unilag is on my mind, don't know how I will be able to cope with the demands of work and academics.
I did my masters while retaining my job. Working in Abia and doing masters in Lagos. It was tough, but if you are focused, you will succeed.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Obeenah(m): 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:

Bro sincerely. I'd say stay on the job and do your masters. If you are going for a full time masters of 18months please make that 2yrs of studies give or take.

The primary thing here should be if your current job has opportunity for advancement and if the pay or prospect of a pay rise is good. If so stay on the job.

If your parents can bankroll your studies seeing that you are young you can still go for it. But I tell you doing it part time is best
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by creepsyme(f): 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
if u have job satisfaction why not plan for online masters degree while u retain ur job.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by eagleeye2: 3:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
2rutalk1:
Kai, see comments! unemployment and poverty have really turned Nigerian Youths to something else. Nobody is talking about passion again everything boils down to salary. Op, I would have advised you to quit your job since you are still living with your parents and go for Msc and proceed to PhD thereafter but i discovered your interest is not tailored towards academics. So you can apply for MILR (Master of industrial and Labour Relations) In UNILAG since you want to be a HR person. Go for part time, their lectures hold in the evening between 6 and 8pm , Mondays to Fridays. For those of you saying he can do msc programme in UNILAG without attending lectures, pls be mindful of the department. There are so many departments in UNILAG where you cant try that and succeed. Again. remember your CGPA must be up to 2.4 before you can graduate from UNILAG in MSC level. Thank you.
Bro, if him/ his parents got the connection, he can quit the job and pursue Msc, otherwise he should just retain his job while doing his masters.
Employment is not easy to come by in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 3:55pm On Jun 14, 2015
Efizzi:

Hello Friend, after going through your write ups and viewers comments, I would say, you have the potential to achieve far more than this. Do you think 60k/month is your current worth based on your current knowledge and inputs? My dear in Life, No risk no reward. You have a choice here and that is continue to mange your 60k/M salary which is not even enough for transportation and feeding in Lagos or explore other opportunities with faith.
You dont need to be scared to chase your dreams of better future. Dont compare yourself with people who are yet to get jobs or earn 35k per month. you have the power to achieve far more. Do you know you have classmates that did NYSC with you and they earn more than 19m per annum my brother the choice is yours never settle for anything less.

(60k per * 12months = 720k per annum) is this worth staying back for?

NB
The motto of the boys scout is be prepared. There is no doubt this Msc would prepare you for something far better as far as you believe.
Other questions I would have loved to ask you was what did you study and what are you planning to do in Msc, what country do you intend to go to? finally Masters in US, australia and Canada is good. as far as you are open to acquiring knowledge and developing yourself for a better future.
I studieď Economics and want to build a career in HR. I want to do msc inďustrial relations anď personnel management.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Willie2015: 3:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:

If you believe that academics is for you, go and complete your masters. Age is on your side, get close to your supervisors and lecturers, you can always get part time teaching they can arrange for you. It,s a tough call but you wont regret it esp if you get to have your PHD.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by MrsAnyanwu(f): 3:57pm On Jun 14, 2015
ogawisdom:

D pay is low 60k n u work on sat, I hope its nt a contract banking job. Do it for three yrs gain exp n may b u will get sth beta. A job dt pays this low shld b flexible enough to accommadate ur masters prog.

If u ve somebody to sponsor d masters its worth dumping d job for if after 3yrs u can't combine d two. Age is what is on ur side well well (jst 23 most of ur olodo age mates r still in year one in unis) so use it to ur advantage
lol,must u say olodo age mates, remember lyf aint fair to all, peace

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by rattlesnake(m): 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2015
Leave both
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Slimmos(m): 4:00pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Go to an Open university and do ur masters there. Simple.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Slimmos(m): 4:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Go to an Open university and do ur masters there. Leave ur job at ur own risk.Simple.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by freeyayo(m): 4:01pm On Jun 14, 2015
To me I believe there is time for everything. You're still young, get like 1-2 years work experience, save and go for a well established Uni preferably abroad to do your Masters. Do not compromise quality because you're in a hurry. Patience is key.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 4:02pm On Jun 14, 2015
Obeenah:

Bro sincerely. I'd say stay on the job and do your masters. If you are going for a full time masters of 18months please make that 2yrs of studies give or take.

The primary thing here should be if your current job has opportunity for advancement and if the pay or prospect of a pay rise is good. If so stay on the job.

If your parents can bankroll your studies seeing that you are young you can still go for it. But I tell you doing it part time is best

The prospect for pay rise is not visible. My boss with about 6 yrs experience earns about 140k
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by spencekat(m): 4:03pm On Jun 14, 2015
sseunth:
don't leave the job or u might regret it later...go to a nearby uni..register for master...look for someone that can be updating you frm time to time and help with lesson notes and other...nt compulsory you attend the lectures
Some lecturers do take their lectures attendance very crucial.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
LOL, OP, I wanna ask you. What kind of job is that?
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by millionboi(m): 4:05pm On Jun 14, 2015
Op gather d money first,tthen u cn do ur master anytim
damzy88:
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:

No one can give you any piece of sound advice based on the information you have provided.

1.What type of work are you doing?
2.What is the pay like?
3.What advantages do you think masters will confer?
4.Which school are you considering for this masters degree?

If you have a GOOD job, it's better you work for at least two years to establish what I called "work experience" It's very easy to move from one job to another but can be difficult to get your first job. Also, don't get Masters degree for masters sake; be strategic about it. For example, if you studied microbiology or chemistry and you're working in brewery, don't get your master in analytical chemistry or whatever microbiology. Do it in Brewing. That way, if you are done with masters, you can be sure of getting a job quickly. It's very easy for a candidate who has a SUITABLE work experience plus a RELEVANT masters degree to land a GOOD job.

Finally, if you MUST get a masters degree at all, go to a HIGHLY rated school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by spencekat(m): 4:08pm On Jun 14, 2015
eagleeye2:

I did my masters while retaining my job. Working in Abia and doing masters in Lagos. It was tough, but if you are focused, you will succeed.
Some employers of labour especially in the private sector will discourage one from doing any Post graduate programme.
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by imakemillions: 4:10pm On Jun 14, 2015
IF you have a laptop,phone or a tablet you can make money within the next hour,evryone make money up to 72times daily.it is literally imposible not to make money refferals not compulsory not MLM.just do these simple step.view ad,click 10ads daily and get paid.its sound too good to be true.inbox me for details.

nonyedbest@yahoo.com
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by Slidoo(m): 4:11pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Guy if d job doesn't pay your bills, is better you go for ur master degree, if u have d means..
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by damzy88: 4:13pm On Jun 14, 2015
ProfCorruption:

No one can give you any piece of sound advice based on the information you have provided.

1.What type of work are you doing?
2.What is the pay like?
3.What advantages do you think masters will confer?
4.Which school are you considering for this masters degree?

If you have a GOOD job, it's better you work for at least two years to establish what I called "work experience" It's very easy to move from one job to another but can be difficult to get your first job. Also, don't get Masters degree for masters sake; be strategic about it. For example, if you studied microbiology or chemistry and you're working in brewery, don't do your master in analytical chemistry or whatever microbiology. Do it in Brewing. That way, if you are done with masters, you can be sure of getting a job quickly. It's very easy for a candidate who has a SUITABLE work experience plus a RELEVANT masters degree to land a GOOD job.

Finally, if you MUST get a masters degree at all, go to a HIGHLY rated school.
I am a human resources assistant, I want to do msc in HR. I earn 60k. I am eyeing Unilag
Re: I Want To Leave My Job For Masters by millionboi(m): 4:14pm On Jun 14, 2015
damzy88:
Thanks My net pay is 60k, I am the second to the last in my family, My younger sister just graduated, my elder ones are working,I live with my family, the firm is just average tho it is located on the Island. From the look of things they are not well paid cos I was disappointed when I saw my boss salary.
aftr seein dis Op,gp 4d master

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

10 Glaring Signs That You Are Being Underpaid (Photos) / How To Succeed As A Contract Staff In Nigerian Banks / Nigerian Banks To Start Mass Sacking Due To Naira Fall!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.