Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ (22646 Views)

Nigeria To Cut Senators, Reps’ Jumbo Pay As Buhari Fumes / I Did Not Discuss Jonathan With Buhari Says Anyaoku / Jonathan Sends Anyaoku To Beg President Buhari Not To Probe Him- SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by gratiaeo(m): 6:09am On Jun 25, 2015
IT was President Barack Obama of the United states of America, who in his usual profound sense of oratory and appreciation of humanity and governance, stated in Ghana, in 1999 that: “History is not just made because we are powerful, financially rich and brute but for the change we bring to the well being of our community and society at large.

We don’t need powerful individuals but powerful institutions’’. On the eve of the inauguration of President Muhammadu Buhari, a gala night was organised in his honour by the then outgoing President Goodluck Jonathan at the State House, Abuja.

Chief Emeka Anyaoku, the experienced former Secretary General of the Commonwealth of Nations, was at his best. All the words in his speech were stylishly pronounced.

He was very audible. He eulogised to the extreme, the former President for that singular show of sportsmanship and love for his country, by congratulating his opponent, even before the result was announced. He also profusely congratulated President Buhari for his election and his tenacity in trying repeatedly over the years, to be President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, until success smiled at him.

Then Anyoku spoke glowingly about Nigeria, his land of birth, on her many achievements and myriad of challenges. He delivered his words diplomatically but with every punch he could muster.

He spoke about the new mantra – corruption – at every facet of our political life and how the world sees Nigeria. He talked about his country where power is a big headache.

He told the world that even at that, Nigeria ‘prides’ herself as having the highest paid lawmakers in the world. And that means that the Nigerian lawmaker earns more than his counterpart in the United States, China, Britain, Japan, Canada et al? In these countries, their light will hardly blink. In these countries, monthly statistical information about number of jobs created is a serious campaign issue.

You hear about ‘Obamanomics’, ‘Romnomics’. We will soon hear about ‘Clintonomics’ and ‘Bushnomics’ towards 2016 polls in the United States. Serious debates as to how best to better the lot of the common man are commonplace.

So what is special about Nigeria and her lawmakers? Do Nigerian lawmakers hold their plenaries in the moon? When Anyoku dropped his ‘bomb,’ I saw our leaders turning their heads left and right, and talking to themselves. They seemed to be saying, “This is not the place and time for this kind of comments, and whoever recommended that Anyaoku should give the keynote address this evening, did a bad job. He must be mischievous.’’

Surely, it was a hit at their conscience. It was a hit at their innermost recesses. They were visibly embarrassed. But there are some lawmakers with good conscience who will be willing to support President Buhari if he summons the political courage to address this outrageous package for the National Assembly (NASS) people.

These selfless ones must be worried about the quantum of the nation’s resources they cart away in the name of salaries and allowances in a country, where millions of young graduates roam the streets, clutching their A4 envelopes and files containing their credentials and searching for non-available jobs; where state governments are unable to pay salaries and some very proud to say they are owing just for few months; where for eight years the road connecting my great community in a capital territory, to the state capital, a distance of less than five kilometres, remains perpetually under construction and laneless to date; where getting electricity remains a luxury; where three square meals remain a mirage for many Nigerians; And where fuel scarcity in a land of plenty of oil bites relentlessly.

But that is about good conscience and those who have it. That is about selflessness. That is about service to one’s country. That is a fine attitude towards this journey of life and its transience – driven by a good sense of humanity.

But it does appear that in our country, good conscience is rare among politicians. They think more about themselves. They think about being “powerful individuals’’ and not about having “powerful institutions’’, to borrow Obama’s words.

And that is why some are ready to do just anything to get to that height – including visiting Okija Shrine in Anambra State. Politics is business, some have said. And so election is war.

Some kill. Some maim. Excess here and nothing at all there. And they don’t care a hoot about that. What to do? When one reads that the salary and allowances of the average senator are N240m and that of his counterpart in the House of Representatives is N204m, the heart bleeds.

For doing what? For inventing what? When did law-making become rocket science? And even if it is, so what? Believe you me, there are more than 10 million Nigerians, to be modest, who can do that job.

And that is for a fact. Nigeria has great talents, great scholars and great minds who can do that job for a third of that sum. And we are all complacent? We are all watching and complaining in the comfort of our homes that the nation’s source of income has plummeted?

We are all watching and crying to high heavens that oil price has dropped and still dropping dreadfully and worrisomely?

Why must we watch helplessly, as senior citizens who have served this nation in their prime, cry out for their monthly peanuts in the name of pension? In some climes, the uncompromised human right activists, the labour unions, the religious and public-spirited individuals will speak out and even lead peaceful demonstrations to send a message to the NASS people that this is unacceptable.

President Buhari has an opportunity to make history in this regard. He should not be scared of stepping on seemingly powerful toes. Buhari remaining in office does not necessarily reside in the NASS. His fate is in the hands of Nigerians who elected him. That also applies to the lawmakers themselves.

Buhari is rendered almost impotent because he has fast-dwindling source of funds to operate with. And yet the Naira is flying in the air, everywhere in the National Assembly.

The President, should as a matter of serious national interest, employ all known political and administrative wizardry to save some money from the jumbo pay of the NASS members.

He must continue to ‘belong to everybody’ and ‘belong to nobody’’, to use his lines. He must appeal to them to imbibe the sense of sacrifice. Anyaoku has passed the ball to him. Buhari has an open net before him. His is to score the goal. And now, is the time. Nigeria needs powerful institutions. Not powerful individuals. •Asianah wrote from Port Harcourt.
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/06/jumbo-pay-emeka-anyaokus-atomic-bomb/

83 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by volterra(m): 6:11am On Jun 25, 2015
Mr. Presido we got your back. Pls do the needful.
We are all tired of the current state of the nation.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by luvinhubby(m): 6:14am On Jun 25, 2015
Gbam !

8 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by natas22: 6:16am On Jun 25, 2015
Sai buhari are you reading this you need to get pen and paper to pick points out.
www.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 25, 2015
The best piece I ever read in a long while. Please move to the Front page let the reading continue.

Nice one.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by akoaki(m): 6:28am On Jun 25, 2015
Nigerians must not wait for one particular person or group to effect change in the recklessness of the political class. The young and not-too-young should begin to march for that change; a change from slavery to freedom, a change from poverty and hopelessness to prosperity. The days of arm-chair criticism is gone and we now require everyone to work the talk.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by kheart(m): 7:17am On Jun 25, 2015
In as much I bliv that there re senators who ll like to comply with the plight of nigerians by reducing their outragious bumer pay.

90% re thieves and ll only fustrate any effort made by d real pple`s reps.

#Patriotic Youths Forum#

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by SweetJoystick(m): 7:30am On Jun 25, 2015
True, all we do is complain in the house, streets, work place, religious and social gatherings, no peaceful demonstrations, that's why they keep doing what they do because they believe they will always get away with it. What happened to #OccupyNigeria? angry

6 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Flets: 7:59am On Jun 25, 2015
Tribalism and ethnocentrism was taken to a new height by APC and as such, we might never muster the unity to fight a common goal as our aspirations are different

SE wants Biafra
SS wants Resource control
NE/ NW wants to retain power and resources in united Nigeria
NC wants emancipation from Fulani stronghold
Not sure what the SW wants

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by veekid(m): 8:15am On Jun 25, 2015
OK
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by groundnutoil(m): 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
O
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by sexaddict08(m): 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
it is an addiction doesn't make it a sin. some
people are addicted to TV, eating sugar,
sleeping late, are they sinners?
don't judge me by my moniker.
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by san316(m): 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
seriously
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by uzo200(m): 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
what can I say? I do not know, meanwhile, look at my friends blog, the guy na real niga with a quack blog, the worse Nigerian blog ever... http://www.touchpapyrus.com
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by groundnutoil(m): 8:17am On Jun 25, 2015
sexaddict08:
natas22:
luvinhubby:
Gbam !
veekid:
OK
my people una weld one ooooo grin
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mencade6: 8:18am On Jun 25, 2015
nigeria will not grow with this kind of a thing

[size=80pt] I P C [/size]

[size=40pt] CHANGE! [/size]

FOR ACCOUNTABILITY VOTE IAMKINGZLEE

FOR DIVIDENDS OF NAIRACRACY VOTE IAMKINGZLEE

vote like this

[size=20pt]i vote for iamkingzlee cc NLJEGA

here is the link for voting[/size]

it starts from 9.am to 6pm

[size=30pt]https://www.nairaland.com/2403058/mr-nairaland-contest-2015-final[/size]

THANK YOU ALL
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by liopased: 8:19am On Jun 25, 2015
volterra:
Mr. Presido we got your back. Pls do the needful.
We are all tired of the current state of the nation.
That is it. . BABA get thing done as fast as possible
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by naildoy: 8:19am On Jun 25, 2015
Flets:
Tribalism and ethnocentrism was taken to a new height by APC and as such, we might never muster the unity to fight a common goal as our aspirations are different
SE wants Biafra
SS wants Resource control
NE/ NW wants to retain power and resources in united Nigeria
NC wants emancipation from Fulani stronghold
Not sure what the SW wants
Thats why they are dodging zoning!

3 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Chiefpriest1(m): 8:20am On Jun 25, 2015
Aside Buhari, these set of men cannot bring about change. A leopard never changes its stripes
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Bobbystanley(m): 8:23am On Jun 25, 2015
Only the wise men Comes from the East.

Where the Sun rises.
God bless Ndigbo

4 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by groundnutoil(m): 8:24am On Jun 25, 2015
sexaddict08:
it is an addiction doesn't make it a sin. some
people are addicted to TV, eating sugar,
sleeping late, are they sinners?
don't judge me by my moniker.
wet in consign us and ur addiction this money abi u get. malaria undecided

1 Like

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by PleasureShop: 8:25am On Jun 25, 2015
Gbam...
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Opinedecandid(m): 8:26am On Jun 25, 2015
Up Pdp
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Opinedecandid(m): 8:28am On Jun 25, 2015
Critically instructive

1 Like

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by MARKone(m): 8:28am On Jun 25, 2015
Why must we watch helplessly, as senior citizens who have served this nation in their prime, cry out for their monthly peanuts in the name of pension? In some climes, the uncompromised human right activists, the labour unions, the religious and public-spirited individuals will speak out and even lead peaceful demonstrations to send a message to the NASS people that this is unacceptable.

That is our major problem we rant, on social media, on print media, we just keep on ranting, no attempt to show our collective anger, through peaceful demonstrations, Nigerians can shut down NASS if they so desire, but how can we achieve that, when those who are supposed to lead us have been compromised, labour is divided, many religious leaders are concerned more about tithes and offerings, the average Nigerian seems not to even care, as long as there is food on the table, no matter how small....life goes on.

This issue NASS is constitutional and unfortunately NASS has been deeply monetised, and RMAFC on their own is not helping matters. Our Bicameral system is expensive, being manned by kleptomaniac politicians, a den for failed governors, drug barons and power hungry block heads(T.A Orji) grin. We should copy the Chinese National People's Congress, which apart from being Unicameral, have part time lawmakers, that sits like four times in a year to pass bills.
We cannot continue doing things like this, that change must start from our political leaders.

4 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by mars123(m): 8:29am On Jun 25, 2015
Its just one of the things wrong with the way we are governed,it is very necessary that we the people start to bite and not just bark. All these continue to happen because the government have not empowered its people. PDP's sogan is power to the people,but for 16yrs we all know where the power has been. Imagine a scenario where the people become the 'godfathers' that the leaders always have to pamper,until we create this scenario,we are on a 'long tin'...the devil wont just give its life to God overnight without having a bad dream.

3 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by hardywaltz(m): 8:29am On Jun 25, 2015
Well said
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 25, 2015
Buhari should just move to drastically reduce the big loot. at least if they get second to nothing salary, we are sure of the fact that only serious individual will vie for political post

2 Likes

Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by deejayALFY(m): 8:31am On Jun 25, 2015
WIT D REVELATIONS OF TINX TRENDIN IN OUR POLITY I SMH FOR OUR NATION...#SayNoToJumboPay
Re: Jumbo Pay: Emeka Anyaoku’s ‘atomic Bomb’ by Calebosko(m): 8:31am On Jun 25, 2015
I met an empty treasury - Gen. Buhari I met an empty treasury - IBB I met and empty treasury - Sonekan I met an empty treasury - Abacha I met an empty treasury - Abdusalam I met an empty treasury - Obj I met an empty treasury - Yaradua I met an empty treasury - GEJ I met an empty treasury - President Buhari Nothing new there sir. Get to work and quit talking!!!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kassim And Aliyu: Abiola's Sons Sue Odumosu, Lagos Police Commissioner / SERAP To Atiku, Obi, Others: Publish Your Assets - Sowore Reacts / Angry Workers Nearly Attacked Policemen At Abuja May Day Rally (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.