Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,539 members, 7,819,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44158 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:46pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

@Sagamite, english is a universal language. Whether mauritania or china, an english name would be pronounced better by its indigenes than an igbo name would. Anyway, I have no intention of living in such countries so that's not my cup of tea.

Even if you desperately want to give your child a local name, at least make it short and simple. Nigerian names tend to be long and contain too many syllables which is why foreigners tend to have a hard time saying 'em. Asian names can be difficult too but they're usually short.

I'm done arguing with you. I don't even have an english name.

Pls don't say this in public, it's ridiculous, how can you say an english name will be pronounced properly in China, people wey no sabi wetin be "come"
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:47pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite, I have nothing to say to you. I made a passing comment, you decided to make it personal(blah blah no achievements) now you are whining cos I responded to you in kind. Typical hypocrite. You;re an uptight lunatic. Case Closed.

londoner:

I would love to see more Igbo speaking movies, but I know for a fact, Nollywood would not have the success and wide appeal it has today if not for it being English speaking.

I disagree. People keep making excuses for this outright SELLING OUT that they did. I dont understand how they arent ashamed of themselves. It's NOT a coincidence that once they switched to English, the quality (story wise) of these movies went to hell.

Did they not start it all with Igbo speaking movies? I can list them in case anyone wants to deny it. Also this whole "people wont understand" thing, I just dont get it. Bollwyood movies were BIG In Naija from the 70s to the mid 90s. I dont remember them ever speaking English. You had to rely on the subtitles, no be so? So why are Nigerians making excuses for the fact that they are ashamed of their language? It wouldnt even be so bad if they didnt make it worse by completely removing Igbo names from these characters. Rent any recent English movie now and show me one where the character doesnt have an English name. Stupid names like Maximillary, Stefano, blah blah. It's pathetic and it bothers me that it doesnt bother YOU guys. I know if YMG did that shit, they will hear from me and many others.

Like I said afam has every right to be annoyed but the music scene is the least of their problems. At least that one has a somwhat justifable reason.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 8:48pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Wetin chiogo dey yarn sef?

I'm sorry but the statement in bold makes you sound very ridiculous!

Are you saying that those Nigerians who insist on their children answering/bearing Nigerian names are stupid? That was a very callous comment by you! angry

Did you bother to read the sentence that followed that comment? I'm sure you didn't.

As to your question, go back and understand the actual argument. It has to do with the location.

And if you still don't get, you just won't get it. I'm done with this topic anyway.

@Afam, stereotype stereotype!! just like africa is a jungle, right? seriously, gimme a break. It's funny how Nigerians complain of the same thing they're guilty of.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:50pm On Mar 02, 2009
4 Play:

There is an inverse relationship between her mammaries and her brain power.  grin Na real nut case, if she was in England, she will be sectioned.  

Kai! 4 Play that was wicked! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Sagamite, I have nothing to say to you. I made a passing comment, you decided to make it personal(blah blah no achievements) now you are whining cos I responded to you in kind. Typical hypocrite. You;re an uptight lunatic. Case Closed.

I disagree. People keep making excuses for this outright SELLING OUT that they did. I dont understand how they arent ashamed of themselves. It's NOT a coincidence that once they switched to English, the quality (story wise) of these movies went to hell.

Did they not start it all with Igbo speaking movies? I can list them in case anyone wants to deny it. Also this whole "people wont understand" thing, I just dont get it. Bollwyood movies were BIG In Naija from the 70s to the mid 90s. I dont remember them ever speaking English. You had to rely on the subtitles, no be so? So why are Nigerians making excuses for the fact that they are ashamed of their language? It wouldnt even be so bad if they didnt make it worse by completely removing Igbo names from these characters. Rent any recent English movie now and show me one where the character doesnt have an English name. Stupid names like Maximillary, Stefano, blah blah. It's pathetic and it bothers me that it doesnt bother YOU guys. I know if YMG did that shit, they will hear from me and many others.

Like I said afam has every right to be annoyed but the music scene is the least of their problems. At least that one has a somwhat justifable reason.

I think this is a slight over simplification, Bollywood blew up in nigeria because it was cheap and readily available and there was a cinema culture then. This is the same reason that nollywood has blown up, it is cheap and readily available, you know. i agree with one hundred per cent about nollywood selling out, just look at how many of them put on this wack American accent? look at the names of the characters in their films, pure nonsense.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:52pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

You cannot compare bollywood to Nollywood because bollywood is foreign and Nigerians love anyone with whitish skin
We had no choice.
We didn't have our own developed movie industry (not that it is now)
Is it a coincidence that Indian films ceased to be popular as our own industry grew?

If you say nollywood would have done as well with Igbo films,why are Yoruba movies not all over Africa and beyond?
why is it only/mostly popular amongst Yorubas?
Why is Kanny wood only amongst Hausas?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:52pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lol, at the fool that would rather give her children English names than her own cultural names or as she put it, 'local' names. It shows how stupid and shallow some Nigerians are. Brain washed bull sh!t.

She's young plus she goes to school here so her comments arent that surprising. Let it go

4Play, benu soun. You're tired of your "new wife" already? Olodo.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
I think this is a slight over simplification, Bollywood blew up in nigeria because it was cheap and readily available and there was a cinema culture then.

Be that as it may, it doesnt change the fact that people that dont understand Hindi wwatch these movies (Slumdog Millionair was 90% Hindi 10% English) so I refuse to fall for "oh but we make them speak English for others to understand". Hasnt stopped French, Japanese, South African movies from being critically acclaimed worldwide by those who dont speak these language so Nigeria had better find a better excuse for their shame.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:02pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ghanian movies have already taken over. Keep on fooling yourselves tongue heir own industry makes me sick as well but I wont get into that. . . for now.

Some would say that Timaya has taken over Dbanj though.

who is Timaya?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 9:02pm On Mar 02, 2009
It's funny how people talk indirectly instead of being straight-forward. Well, fine I can play that game too.

FYI, age has nothing to do with this. Trust Nigerians to always hide under being old to equal wisdom whereas the most idiotic people in Nigeria are the old frauds called leaders. spare me pls.

As for the one calling names, i won't descend to your level. This just proves my point. age is NOT equal to wisdom. With their way of thinking, it's no surprise they don't know the meaning of the word, local. It's the same as native/indigenous, not a condescending term. BTW, I wasn't the first to use it on this thread

If I go to school here, doesn't that put me in a better position to know? Instead of saying stuff i hear/see on TV, I actually experience what I say.

I never expected any better from nairaland folks anyway, so y'all can keep being what you are. undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 9:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Be that as it may, it doesnt change the fact that people that dont understand Hindi wwatch these movies (Slumdog Millionair was 90% Hindi 10% English) so I refuse to fall for "oh but we make them speak English for others to understand". Hasnt stopped French, Japanese, South African movies from being critically acclaimed worldwide by those who dont speak these language so Nigeria had better find a better excuse for their shame.

and Passion of Christ was 100% Hebrew with English captions.
Why would you be comparing hollywood movies with nollywood?
If hollywood made a movie today in 100% Yoruba it will sell millions
All the other ones you mentioned are developed industries mostly popular in their homelands.
Nollywood is not at their level.
It's bad enough making home movies and calling them movies but deciding to make it in a native Nigerian language would limit the market even further.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 9:08pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

It's funny how people talk indirectly instead of being straight-forward. Well, fine I can play that game too.

FYI, age has nothing to do with this. Trust Nigerians to always hide under being old to equal wisdom whereas the most idiotic people in Nigeria are the old frauds called leaders. spare me pls.

As for the one calling names, i won't descend to your level. This just proves my point. age is NOT equal to wisdom. With their way of thinking, it's no surprise they don't know the meaning of the word, local. It's the same as native/indigenous, not a condescending term. BTW, I wasn't the first to use it on this thread

If I go to school here, doesn't that put me in a better position to know? Instead of saying stuff i hear/see on TV, I actually experience what I say.

I never expected any better from nairaland folks anyway, so y'all can keep being what you are. undecided

please sharap already!
anyone who can't pronounce my name of that of my husband and children can go jump into the Hudson if they're expecting me to change their names to suit them.
If your friends can't pronounce your name teach them.
You can't go switching your name from Chiogo to Chicago
Or from Lanre to Larry to suit them.
Thats what stupid is
Or dig up some silly middle name when your parents only meant it to be a middle name because the birth certificate has a space for one.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 9:09pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lol @ Chiogo, I am currently in South London amongst lilly white people, do you think I'll change my name to suit them, hell no.My name is my identity, it tells people where I come from, who my people are. You think i care if they cannot pronounce it? so long as they pronounce it as close to the proper sound as possible, I am alright. It is very simple minded of you to say you cannot name your child an Igbo name because white people won't be able to pronounce it.

I have read some things on nairaland but this take the biscuit, wow.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2009

[quote][/quote]

I do agree that I would like to see more Igbo names etc, but the level of culture in the film does depend on the storyline ie, if you watch a film with a village/home setting, you will see much more culture IMO, I personally prefer those ones.

To be honest, I dont reckon people from the length and breath of Africa and the world would be in a demand for Nollywood if it was completely in Igbo.

Can you explain to me why Yoruba speaking movies do not enjoy the same widespread appeal/success? Even among Nigerians, Nollywood movies are far more widely watched IMO.

The success of Bollywood in Nigeria may have been a product of the "white/foreign is right" mentality if we are being honest. I agree there are some crap Nollywood movies/stories etc, but having Igbo language in it alone would not have stopped that quite frankly, just like having Yoruba speaking artists doesn't stop some of them from releasing some waste of time  songs. You would just have crap spoken you in another language, lol

Agreed about the Igbo names etc. they should take a leaf out of what they do on S.A soap opera's which are mainly Englsh ,but have input from S. A languages to keep its identity.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Gosh! You missed out on some excellent South Korean and Taiwanese flicks!

I remember them back in the days
Those movies where you hear the sound of the punch before the hand touches the face grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 9:13pm On Mar 02, 2009
The 'problem' with igbos is that they adapt easily to foreign culture
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Mar 02, 2009
Chiogo, would you prefer sheniqua to chika?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo, my comment wasnt to insult you but your comments reeks of someone who's been in this country for too long. You're making excuses for people doing away with their "local names". Just the fact that you call these names "local" says alot and it shows you're young. People making fun of names is more of a middle/high school thing in this country.

Of course nigerians are nOT the only ones guilty of this. In my college there were alot of Koreans with English names with completely different names on their name tags/passports. I just think it's sad. They claim it's people butcher names. So what? People butcher surnames too. Why not have us change or surnames as well? The russians n ko with their tongue twisting names? Why dont they change theirs? When you are proud of something, you wont hide it or try to change it. That's my take. Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, etc) have long ass names. They dont change it. The MOST you might see is them shortening it. I think shortening a name is way better than just completely changing it to some English name. I personally cant think of any English name better than my name.

But hey that's just me/
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Chiogo, I must say I am a bit sad reading what you are saying. If you can't show the world who and what you are with no apology, they will never respect you. What you will receive is just pity. While you are advising people to give their children names a White person can easily say, they dont give a hoot about whether we can pronounce their names, or if we ever have to.

Pardon me to say this, but I think you mmay have a slight inferiority complex.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 9:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lolol, wow, I never said anybody should change their names because foreigners can't pronounce it afterall some africans can't pronounce other africans names. Even my yoruba friends find it hard pronouncing my name. Neither did I say I won't give my kids igbo names. FYI, the white folks actually pronounce it better than their black counterpart.

I'm just saying if you can avoid the whole name wahala for your child even if it means giving them an english first name, fine. and a native name for middle name. Your last name still tells your identity.

If the whole name thing bothered me so much, I woulda urged my parents to have it changed. Even my middle name is igbo, I have no english name whatsoever. I do have cousins who constantly blame their parents for not giving 'em english names. Some even claim their names deny them job opportunities.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 9:19pm On Mar 02, 2009
davidylan:

Chiogo, would you prefer sheniqua to chika?
No, which was why I stated that african names have different levels of difficulty. Some are just too long and contain too many syllables.
By the way, sheniqua isn't english. I recommend a name with actual meaning if opting for an english name.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 9:20pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lolol, wow, I never said anybody should change their names because foreigners can't pronounce it afterall some africans can't pronounce other africans names. Even my yoruba friends find it hard pronouncing my name. Neither did I say I won't give my kids igbo names. FYI, the white folks actually pronounce it better than their black counterpart.

I'm just saying if you can avoid the whole name wahala for your child even if it means giving them an english first name, fine. and a native name for middle name. Your last name still tells your identity.

If the whole name thing bothered me so much, I woulda urged my parents to have it changed. Even my middle name is igbo, I have no english name whatsoever. I do have cousins who constantly blame their parents for not giving 'em english names. Some even claim their names deny them job opportunities.

Those one are given STUPID EXCUSES for their failure.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

@chiogo,

Nobody is taking you less seriously because of your age, however, your argument is not cohesive. How do you reconcile your view that "Emeka" can be pronounced by Americans ("Chukwuemeka" will be admittedly more difficult to pronounce by 'em Yankees), but that Nigerian names are difficult to pronounce? Isn't Emeka a Nigerian name? Also, your use of the term "local" is funny. "Local" is tied to the immediate physical environment you're in; so, in America, a "local" name would be a typical American/English name (or perhaps a Native American name), not an Igbo or Yoruba name. In America, an Igbo name is not "local" but "foreign" or "exotic" grin.

A more thematic argument on your side would be that Nigerians in America give their children Nigerian names that may not be too difficult to pronounce (e.g. Bayo, Emeka, Bola, Uju, Isi, etc.) or names that have easy short versions (e.g., Ade for Adedamola, Chidi for Chidiebere, Iyke/Ike for Ikechukwu, Isi for Isimeme), if they insist on giving their children Nigerian names. Not using the word "stupid" to describe those Nigerians who want to exercise their prerogative of naming their child whatever they choose!

No hard feelings, we're all learning.  smiley
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 9:23pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

No, which was why I stated that african names have different levels of difficulty. Some are just too long and contain too many syllables.
By the way, sheniqua isn't english. I recommend a name with actual meaning if opting for an english name.

Damn, I just have to shake my head, i think you're a 'black girl lost' African names have level of difficulty? It depends who is judging it, it's easy for you to pronounce English names because you have been forced to speak their language, if you could only speak Igbo, I am sure you'll find their names difficult to pronounce too.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

i think they are brainwashed and shallow people. Ever heard of a Scandinavian or East European person changing his name to suit Americans? Only black people do so . . . inferiority complex at play. If your colleagues find your name too long let them find a short form.
I know friends i stayed with when i first came who insisted on calling me by my long name. When it became a tongue twister they simply shortened it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
I dont want this to turn into Igbo bashing. I have grown up in the Uk and I can tell you that this whole changing the name (even by deed poll) or trying to hide the Nigerian (jjc) accent, is something which crosses tribes.

When someone cant pronounce a name, you simply teach them how to pronounce it. How many Nigerians mispronounc English names even simple ones, like Jonathan or Hyacinth.

How many White people do you think are busy telling their friends not to name their children that because those fom other backgrounds can not easily pronounce it.

Our names are about MEANING, not the comfortability of someone your child may or may not encounter in their life.

When you say African names are "too long" too long for who exactly?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:26pm On Mar 02, 2009
Can you explain to me why Yoruba speaking movies do not enjoy the same widespread appeal/success? Even among Nigerians, Nollywood movies are far more widely watched IMO.

Can you name one movie more popular than Jenifa at the moment? My sister went to Naija and it was non Yorubas that were telling her all about it. Totsi, South African movie, NOT in English was a huge success here and won an Oscar. Tunde Kelani movies have been shown in international film festivals in the States. I dont see how Nollwyood movies being show in Jamaican hair shops is the same as 'achievement" and even then Ghanian movies are now  the ones taking over that "market" now.

The only time you see these movies use Igbo names nowadays are when they are ritual movies. It's insulting. When they are doing "mordernized americana wannabe" movies, the whole cast have English names. when it's about rituals or palmwine tappers, that's when you will get some Igbo names and even then the daughter of the local palmtapper will be known as "Susan"

It's pathetic.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 9:27pm On Mar 02, 2009
Are Nigerians living in Nigeria also forced to speak english? I don't get you.

@RichyBlack, Yes Emeka would be easier to say than Chukwuemeka. That doesn't mean that the 'Emeka' would even be pronounced correctly, maybe close.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 9:29pm On Mar 02, 2009
If your assertion is true, why are Yoruba and hausa movies not making waves across Africa alone?. Truth be told, language is a barrier and the so called french and south african movies are still limited to their audience.

You are cutting the problem from the surface, just like our govt, infracstructure, education etc Nollywood is crippled by development which is why it's still at par with the indian industry. Nigeria is not a match to India when it comes to technology. Bollywood is old enough to be Nollywoods mother and so on.

Again, Is slumdog millionaire  really an indian movie?. British director, British producer, British marketer etc. It's almost like calling Blood Diamond a Sierra Leonian movie.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:30pm On Mar 02, 2009
Some even claim their names deny them job opportunities.

A Chinasa will sooner get a job than a Natiqua
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 9:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Davidylan, I get your point and the points of others

It's just funny that everyone seems to think I'm talking about me personally. I'm just speaking from a general view of what I've noticed.

If I had such an inferiority complex, believe me my screen name won't be anything close to what it is or i won't be anywhere close to this website.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 9:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

The 'problem' with igbos is that they adapt easily to foreign culture

Yes
Not just foreign culture but other Nigerian culture to their detriment.
People accuse Igbos of tribalism yet there are more Igbos that speak other Nigerian languages than any other group in Nigeria
wear other peoples clothing and even name their kids names from other Nigerian cultures.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.