Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44168 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 1:44am On Mar 03, 2009
Non Nigerians outside Nigeria are really buying the movies. My friend who is Jamaican watched them on her Air Jamaica flight to Kingston, Jamaica as the in flight film. They love them all over the Caribbean. They are actually quite popular all over the African continent, much further than just Nigeria, or with Nigerians.

Dotman01, what is the real reason you are trying to suggest that if you are accepted in Nigeria that is all that matters? Trying to nullify Nollywood's wide appeal is not the way to go I'm afraid. Nollywood is more than accepted in Nigeria already and has gone beyond that.

I do take offense to your notion that Igbo's do not take our culture seriously.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tpia: 2:48am On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 3:11am On Mar 03, 2009
@tpia, thank you very much. I thought the intellectuals on nairaland were all gone for a minute.

I too was going to ask them why everyone on this thread is typing in english and not their 'cultural' languages. Isn't that also 'inferiority complex'? Nonsense!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by bigbumper(f): 3:22am On Mar 03, 2009
chiogo:

@tpia, thank you very much. I thought the intellectuals on nairaland were all gone for a minute.

I too was going to ask them why everyone on this thread is typing in english and not their 'cultural' languages. Isn't that also 'inferiority complex'? Nonsense!

ROFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tpia: 3:32am On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by stkris(m): 4:45am On Mar 03, 2009
@topic
its no big deal
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by gamechange(m): 4:52am On Mar 03, 2009
Is it just me? Dang, does it profit us to always categorize each other. WHY!!!!! An artist is an artist, I cannot be bothered if an artist is igbo, yoruba, efik, hause etc by origin and then sing in swahili, latin or french. I would appreciate the artist if I feel his/her music. Lets move on from this trabilistic tendencies and embrace each other as citizens of one Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by WarfyBoy(m): 4:58am On Mar 03, 2009
@poster

simply because u r an IDIOT
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tosinaded(m): 5:12am On Mar 03, 2009
We re tryn to develop and advance,sum peeps are talking abt culture and keeping it alive!
Bullshit.
For heavens sake of wut good has our culture been to us?
We av bn backwards for like forever and now we tryn to move ahead only for u peeps to cry blue murder!
If to say na1 good and positive culture now i for say!
But no,na to dey do rituals,sacrifice both animals and humans,kill twins(who knows if they wld av killd me too sef),anti tribal weddings,osu discrimination,tribal wars,witch craft etc!
We av tried to evolve 4rm all this nonsense and sum peeps are clamouring 4 dem sayn we av lost our cultural values!
Sum say english isnt our major lang!
Yet our constitution is in english
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by udezue(m): 5:31am On Mar 03, 2009
Please who keeps saying Igbo lanuage is going extinct and Igbo artists are leaving Igbo language to only sing Yoruba?

What nonsense? The last time I checked this song popular in Africa and it aint Yoruba.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xINmoCGmNV0 Ifunanya by P-Square
Mmiri maba mo is popular in Houston and sang by Enugu group Bijoux 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXRnK7OGyBQ&feature=PlayList&p=127B8EAC5FA2ED7D&playnext=1&index=7
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=102080958

I was at Ini Edo's wedding and most of the song I heard were Igbo. You'll think she and her husband are Igbo. My cousin's cultural group performed there and its Igbo. These Igbo kids born in USA doing Igbo dances just like Igbo dance teams back in the East.

We have cartoons now in Igbo language and setting. Most times sef if I'm asked who am I just say Igbo and that ends discussion coz they know so who dey yarn say Igbo language dey disappear?

I hear dis song is big in PH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivLuOfT_zw&feature=related  Na abania by Nigga raw. He sure is a star.

No problem with Yoruba music the ones I like are there but I know that na ekwe ekpiri IGBO kacha mma.  grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 6:40am On Mar 03, 2009
tosinaded@:

We re tryn to develop and advance,sum peeps are talking abt culture and keeping it alive!
Bullshit.
For heavens sake of wut good has our culture been to us?
We av bn backwards for like forever and now we tryn to move ahead only for u peeps to cry blue murder!
If to say na1 good and positive culture now i for say!
Your culture is really important for your identity especially your language but it's very rude to speak that language especially when the person next to you does not understand it. They claim our language is going into extinction when the market women in Ikole village do no understand common pidgin english or the over 30 million igbos speaking igbo in the eastern villages will suddenly start speaking english to each other or the ijaw fishermen will soon forget the ijaw language because he watches only english movies,  Coming to the language used in movies, it neither matters to me nor do I think the language in movie helps foster the language itself.

Common, how many people that are non yorubas that will tell you categorically they learnt yoruba from watching yoruba movies unless they originally speak or understand yoruba?. I have french and spanish songs, some of them I've had for over 7 years and can pronounce the lyrics well yet i don't know what they mean. Will the french claim they are propagating their culture because i sing their music?.  Nollywood should receive a collective accolade and a pat and whomever can contribute to it's development should be welcomed. The so called Bollywood is known as Indian movie, nobody knows whether it's ibo Indian or Yoruba indian or Ijaw indian that runs the movie industry yet the credit goes to all of them.

Hollywood is run largely by Jews but who d hell cares?. The credit goes to America as a whole. The mixture of tribalism in criticizing Nollywood is becoming a fashion here and some people are known for that act and they continue to do it no matter how foolish they sound.

Piece the argument together and trell me whether it's criticism or envy at play here:

1. Nollywood is 100% bull crap, argument 1

2. Nollywood is very tribalistic, argument 2.

3. They keep churning out stupid movies everyday even though yoruba movies are better. Think Tunde kelani and Tade Ogidan.

The unanswered question is: If Nollywood is crap and they don't use our govt money to produce their crap, why worry about tribalism?. Who wants to associate him/herself with crap?. Why not let them poison themselves with their crap?. And it's always Yoruba forumites or yoruba movie celebrities that whine about this over and over. No Ijaw, No ibibio, no Hausa, no Benin, no Ishan etc does that except those that will claim one very soon to foster their tribal jargon. What does that tell you about us?. What impression does it create in other peoples mind?. Why not the yoruba movie industry strive and make their movie #1 in Africa which will automatically relegate Nollywood to the back seat?. Do you know that Ghana movies sell more than Yoruba movies. Did they claim the title by envy or by emulation?. The world has evolved and is beyond tribe and country. Culture can be adjusted especially when it's not particularly useful to those that practice it. Those that refuse to evolve like my fellow republicans will be left behind.  If  we Yorubas don't quit whining about Nollywood, others will soon get the message and laugh at us much better.

Why are we fixated on the past?. Tunde kelani may have had his days but it doesn't mean he's the best today even among the yoruba circle. Common, he was even complaining the other day that his last movie was a failure. There was Achebe but the new generation has someone like Chimanada adiche to take over, with time Achebe and Soyinka will be history. I hate it when people claim, haa super eagles used to be the best in Africa, duh, your arrogance pulled you down and other nations came over you, so you are no more the best. I gettam before no be property.

My only regrets is when the younger generation that should stand against tribalism and ethnic hatred are the ones that carry it on their head. It's also more disturbing for someone who is young and grew abroad to be a closet tribalist. I'll give it anyday to my Sauron, Bawomolo, Debosky and Lucabrasi(You may wanna check their ages and generation and see for yourself that it's men with that kind of mind that will survive the test of time because they reason beyond their egba village). david Dylan would've made my list tho but he's yoruba is adulterated tongue tongue tongue.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 6:50am On Mar 03, 2009
Please who keeps saying Igbo lanuage is going extinct and Igbo artists are leaving Igbo language to only sing Yoruba?

Timaya is ijaw and he made music in igbo, yoruba, pidgin and ijaw languages. Lagbaja is yoruba and me made some songs in igbo, yoruba, Bini and pidgin english etc. Music is all about the crowd you appeal to.  Most of the songs the OP cited are party music and guess who creates more parties in Nigeria?. have you heard any Igbo highlife musician singing in yoruba or any Fuji musician singing in igbo or hausa?. It depends on the crowd. Have you also noticed that 80% of the gospel music released in Nigeria are igbo music? why?, because the older generation of igbos prefer gospel to high life partying music quite unlike yorubas. Will you release similar gospel music to the hausa market and hoping to make huge sales?. The market in most cases defines the trend for all these songs.

Check out this igbo song below. It should be the hottest Nigerian video in youtube now.  Very nice song and I wish she remix it in english and put some rap into it.:

Chinyere Udoma - Nduru nke Eligwe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwb25c5K_Dg&feature=PlayList&p=127B8EAC5FA2ED7D&index=8&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 7:43am On Mar 03, 2009
@londoner am sorry if av offended u in anyway. Aint sayin yoruba lang is beta dan igbo lang or vice versa. And again am nt a nollywood hater i love dem too. Wat am sayin is d ppl incharge shuld create anoda film industry or wetava 4 d igbo movies. Do u understand it nw? Again aint sayin one is beta dan d oda am just like, givin advice.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by udezue(m): 8:40am On Mar 03, 2009
Don't worry about Nollywood. They are doing just fine. Go create urs jare or hush.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by udezue(m): 8:44am On Mar 03, 2009
I got u Funmi.

I love dat gospel song oo
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by russellino: 8:59am On Mar 03, 2009
I dont think it really matters. If i was a singer i'd probably sing a chorus or two in yoruba. besides yoruba language is very musical and catchy. I'm very sure that eastern based artistes wouldnt sing in yoruba. Its really a case of what you are used to. Dont forget nigga raw's first hits didnt have a trace of yoruba in them. Its all sales strategy dude!!! Abeg poster you sound like a young person, lets try not to identify other people by their tribes this is 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 9:31am On Mar 03, 2009
St.Funmi:

Timaya is ijaw and he made music in igbo, yoruba, pidgin and ijaw languages. Lagbaja is yoruba and me made some songs in igbo, yoruba, Bini and pidgin english etc.

When did Lagbaja sing in Igbo
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by amaikama(m): 9:36am On Mar 03, 2009
I call it cultural and Lingual deversification grin I think its a good thing please. Let it flow. Its better than killing each other. angry
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 9:41am On Mar 03, 2009
tpia:

are you mad? Whatever names someone decides to give their own children, how is it your business talkless why should you start raining insults on them in this manner? Na you born the child?

you really should stop typing in English and start communicating only in Yoruba. There are multiple Yoruba speaking threads on this site- why not limit yourself to those.

I dont see any of you making any comment on Nigerians who bear Arabic names or even Mubarak Hussein Obama whose first two names have nothing to do with Africa.

Focus on the character, not the name!!!!! geez!!!!

I guess you are one of those that has given you kids English names then? And they probably speak fone that makes you grin from west to east because it makes you feel special. Actually what is your English name?

Arabic names? What a silly argument! I don't comment too much about Arabic names or Xtian names because the driving factor is religion, not wannabe like when you name your child Sean. That is a huge difference and someone that can not recognise that without being told is either probably as young as chiogo or has a brain that has not developed past the age of chiogo.

If you name your child Sean after a doctor that delivered him and saved your wife from complications of pregnacy blah blah blah then I can understand. But to sit down and refuse your indigenous names for a foreign name becuase you think it is funkier and will give you preps (make you look cool) amongs people, well  grin

Another stupid argument is why do I type in English? What a stupid question!

Do you honestly want me to respond to that?

But anyway chiogo thinks you are an intellectual, so kudos.  grin

tpia:

I wonder why at this stage, Nigerians still fail to realize names are the least of our worries.

Other nationalities and races also give their kids names which arent necessarily traditional ones. Some do, some dont, why is it an earth shattering event in any case. And there's no need for anyone to start abusing others over what they decide to name their children.

Yeah, Orientals do it fervently (especially the Hong Kong crew) and they are the race I know that has the biggest inferiority complex on Earth. Complete Ass-kissers!!!

In the WC in 2002, England had more Japanese supporters than probably Japan national team had.

I am yet to see an individual/a group that does not respect himself/herself/itself but yet is respected by others. Please show me one if you can.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by shawn123: 9:56am On Mar 03, 2009
honestly yoruba language is got more flavor when it comes to music, also they have been in the fore front of the musical revolution, its obvious that we see alot of people sing yoruba songs that they dont even know the meaning of, if we would be honest with our selves even from our child hood days who amongst us did not dance to Shina Peters, and how many of us really knew what he was talking about
The language is just got some musical thing about it, just like black Ameriacan english and rap,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 10:05am On Mar 03, 2009
shawn123:

honestly yoruba language is got more flavor when it comes to music, also they have been in the fore front of the musical revolution, its obvious that we see alot of people sing yoruba songs that they dont even know the meaning of, if we would be honest with our selves even from our child hood days who amongst us did not dance to Shina Peters, and how many of us really knew what he was talking about
The language is just got some musical thing about it, just like black Ameriacan english and rap,

Which revolution did they start, if you have no reasonable thing to say, then SCRAM.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 10:08am On Mar 03, 2009
shawn123:

You need to listen to some Bendel-based language songs before you start handing out accolades. Being popular does not necessarilly indicate being the best.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by carnal: 11:04am On Mar 03, 2009
@Sagamite, I totally agree with you. Afam4eva is also right that it is rampant among igbo people.

However, for those living abroad, i can understand if parents give their children english names. Americans sure know how to butcher people's names, trust me. You can call them their native name at home but please, save yourself the headache, I'm so serious.

na who they yan this kind thing here?for goodness sake my daughter is 6 born and school aabroad yet she can speak both my language and that of ibo mother,mak una take time oo

English is our major language,u all shld get that into ur skulls pls!
Japanese speak japanese cos its there major language.
Spanish speak spanish cos its there major lang!
Y are we deceivn ourselves?
Is any of yoruba,hausa oe igbo our major lang? NO and NO.
Little wonder y we cnt speak in english well and students fail english language like its latin and get A1 in yoruba and igbo!
It dsnt make sense cos non of these is recognised abroad,not even in nigeria

English is who's major language?be careful oooo,don't allow my little daughter to read this ooo.

This is where I have been advocating strong identification with roots embedded in upbringing.

Afam if you are worried about extinction of the ibo language, the least of your worry is that some Igbo artistes are singing their chorus in Yoruba.

You should be more worried about the common trend of people giving their children English names and not speaking the local language to them.

It gets my blood boiling when I see the so called urban people speaking English to their toddlers and thinking, when these kids reply in English, then it reflects on them that they are "cool".

The trend is accelerating in Nigeria due to inferiority complex. When I meet a child that can not speak their language (most of the time, the parents give a lame excuse that "they understand but cannot speak"wink or have some "funky" English name (e.g. Shawn, Natasha, Clifford, Marybelle, Donatella) then I immediately regard the parents as idiots and lose respect for them especially those that live in Nigeria.

I wonder how many forumites hear can claim their children SPEAK (not hear only) their local language.

Another silly excuse you get in UK is that they can not speak it because they are not growing up in Nigeria.

German kids in London speak German,
Italian kids speak Italian,
Arab kids speak Arab,
South American kids speak Spanish,
Indian kids speak Hindi,
Pakistani kids speak Urdu,
HAUSA kids speak Hausa,
Other Nigerian kids blast funky English. How moronic!

Shame on you all that you kids can not speak their local language if it is one of the major 6 tribes in Nigeria.

let us all change this attitude and name our kids naija names,it's our identity,it's our root.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by obinodmx: 11:15am On Mar 03, 2009
Ekele,  i am writing on behalf of ikuku records. We are a hip hop label based in London with 2 artists signed. K16 & UnSeen. K16 grew up in Owerri and Unseen in Aba. They rap in English, Pidgin and Igbo.

Although the igbo language is not dying, it should still be promoted to the fullest and with pride.

However, having said that, we are all one Nigeria. There is nothing wrong with a yourba artist singing in Hausa or an ibo artist singing in Yourba. It can help open doors to better inter tribal relationships

You can check them out here: http://www.youtube.com/ikukurecords

Udo.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by wunmilyn(f): 11:23am On Mar 03, 2009
@poster
i don't see anything wrong with it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by shope(m): 11:28am On Mar 03, 2009
yes we Yorubas should be happy. that our language is been appericated.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by iboguy: 11:30am On Mar 03, 2009
Hahahaha,  grin grin grin grin grin grin

It doesnt really matter what language you use as long as you can can connect with people and the music is good.

Personally, i think this guy will blow nationally even though he is igbo

@obinodmx

Where is this guy based?

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdR5KCp6LlY&hl=en&fs=1" [/b][/flash]
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 11:39am On Mar 03, 2009
carnal:

na who they yan this kind thing here?for goodness sake my daughter is 6 born and school aabroad yet she can speak both my language and that of ibo mother,mak una take time oo

English is who's major language?be careful oooo,don't allow my little daughter to read this ooo.

let us all change this attitude and name our kids naija names,it's our identity,it's our root.

Carnal, thank you. Speaks your language and your wife's? Amazing.

Some people will be giving some stupid excuse that it is not possible to do this abroad. Probably you are using juju then if you did it. grin

You go to these Nigerian parties and homes and all you see is parents blasting fone to their children.

You see that my nephew in my picture, the only thing I blast to him is Yoruba and I refuse to speak English to him and when he grows up he must answer in Yoruba or else I will not even respond.

I have told his nanny that it is only Yoruba they should speak to him. He will learn the English in School, just like me.

I have made it clear to the parents that if he can not speak Yoruba in future then he should not expect any kind of birthday/xmas presents from me.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by cvibe: 12:01pm On Mar 03, 2009
Poster,

Why should that be of any concern?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by dm1(m): 12:07pm On Mar 03, 2009
i think yoruba is more pleasing to hear in songs than igbo. yoruba rhymes with the modern day music and has been long used in the history of nigerian musicians from shino peters, fela and them them. but its all about production if the igbo musicians can come up with some form of unique talent by using the language in mordern music, who knows they can become a hit too just like the yorubas.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by iboguy: 12:19pm On Mar 03, 2009
d_m:

i think yoruba is more pleasing to hear in songs than igbo. yoruba rhymes with the modern day music and has been long used in the history of nigerian musicians from shino peters, fela and them them. but its all about production if the igbo musicians can come up with some form of unique talent by using the language in mordern music, who knows they can become a hit too just like the yorubas.

thats an ignorant comment, which says a lot about you angry
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by vicade(m): 12:26pm On Mar 03, 2009
Of course yoruba has more appeal. That is why an act like King Sunny Ade will play in any Igbo,Yoruba or Hausa event.

And another thing you will rarely hear is a Yoruba Artiste singing in Igbo. .You will rarely hear 9ice sing in Igbo. Hwever Dbanj did sing in Igbo in his iigwe Track and it was nice but Singing in Yoruba has a Broader and Better Appeal than Igbo or any other Nigerian Language and You have to go with the winning formula to be successful

Just Imagine singing GONGO ASO or Yahoozee in Igbo or any other naija Language.Even MI's Anoti track had yoruba in it and it had nice appeal.

Lagos is where it is and Lagos is a Yoruba State.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / NBC Bans Olamide Song, 'Don't-Stop' For Vulgar Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.