Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,760 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44162 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nkeirubaby: 12:34pm On Mar 03, 2009
vicade:

Of course yoruba has more appeal. That is why an act like King Sunny Ade will play in any Igbo,Yoruba or Hausa event.

And another thing you will rarely hear is a Yoruba Artiste singing in Igbo. .You will rarely hear 9ice sing in Igbo. Hwever Dbanj did sing in Igbo in his iigwe Track and it was nice but Singing in Yoruba has a Broader and Better Appeal than Igbo or any other Nigerian Language and You have to go with the winning formula to be successful

Just Imagine singing GONGO ASO in Igbo or any other naija Language.Even MI's Anoti track had yoruba in it and it had nice appeal.

Lagos is where it is and Lagos is a Yoruba State.

That is such bollocks. It's people like you that keep naija divided.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by FBS: 12:38pm On Mar 03, 2009
Yoruba it is grin
but seriously it dont matter. Sing in any language you like as long as you can connect with your audience.
At any rate, Yoruba folks should be happy about it .It's getting more popular by the day.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by vicade(m): 12:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
Nkeirubaby:

That is such bollocks. It's people like you that keep naija divided.

what?

Cos Yoruba influenced music has better appeal i am keeping Nigeria divided?

On the contrary, i think Dbanj singing in Igbo in his igwe track and Igbo guys singing in Yoruba is doing more of keeping Nigeria united than divided
Just like i said Lagos is where it is and Lagos is a Yoruba State ljust ike Enugu is an igbo state.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Positivity(m): 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2009
The original post went like, Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba?, then moved 2 local names in foreign country or whatever, now we're witnessing tribal sentiment in full blast! undecided

Kudos 2 Osisi & Sagamite, wth peeps like u two, naija has hope! wink
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:00pm On Mar 03, 2009
vicade:

Just like i said Lagos is where it is and Lagos is a Yoruba State ljust ike Enugu is an igbo state.

lagos is a semi yoruba city, afterall lagos is not a yoruba word.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
Positivity:

The original post went like, Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba?, then moved 2 local names in foreign country or whatever, now we're witnessing tribal sentiment in full blast! undecided

One topic surely leads to another u know, though they are related
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Positivity(m): 1:07pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

One topic surely leads to another u know

I refuse 2 descend 2 that level! tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by russellino: 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2009
@Vicade. Meeen without a doubt that must be the most narrow minded statement i ever heard. You probably have never stepped outside lagos before, otherwise you would have a broader view and talk less rubbish about one language sounding better than the other. Gongo Aso was conceived in yoruba and would never have been such a classic if it had been done in any other tongue, common sense dude. Go listen to duncan mighty, nigga raw or flava's albums and you may (unlikely though) understand what i'm talking about. Just to show that old demons like tribalism dont die easily. I am scared for naija's future because of ppl like u
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:13pm On Mar 03, 2009
Positivity:

I refuse 2 descend 2 that level! tongue

That's some of the problems we have in Nigeria, so you have to face it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:20pm On Mar 03, 2009
russellino:

@Vicade. Meeen without a doubt that must be the most narrow minded statement i ever heard. You probably have never stepped outside lagos before, otherwise you would have a broader view and talk less rubbish about one language sounding better than the other. Gongo Aso was conceived in yoruba and would never have been such a classic if it had been done in any other tongue, common sense dude. Go listen to duncan mighty, nigga raw or flava's albums and you may (unlikely though) understand what i'm talking about. Just to show that old demons like tribalism dont die easily. I am scared for naija's future because of ppl like u

Don't mind him, it's only some who is narrow minded that will spit that kind of rubbish.
Most Southwesterners are like Americans who think the whole world starts and ends in America.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Positivity(m): 1:21pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

That's some of the problems we have in Nigeria, so you have to face it.

I don't have to embrace those who let their sentiment do their thinking! I'd simply embrace the [b]Osisi[/b]s & [b]Sagamite[/b]s of this world and leave the rest to their folly! wink
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by vicade(m): 1:26pm On Mar 03, 2009
russellino:

Gongo Aso was a National Hit.Infact,International Hit.These guys yu mention,Nigga raw and co are just Average as far as i am concerned.

And i am not saying Yorubas are better.I am saying singing in Yoruba has a better appeal-It is the wining formula which is why Igbo Artistses sing in yoruba.And i dont see how me saying Yoruba influened songs have more appeal is tribalist.You either believe it or not. That is your cup of tea.It is like when i say igbo men are the best businessmen in Nigeria and some dude also calls me tribalist for that.Shocking

MI named a track in his album ANOTI which is yoruba and  means unbeatable. why did he not use the igbo version of Unbeatable? I tell you why.Appeal.
afam4eva:

l[b]agos is a semi yoruba city, afterall lagos is not a yoruba wor[/b]d.

The word is Eko. That is why you never hear Lagos will never spoil rather you hear EKO O NI BAJE

And there is an OBA of Eko.Lagos was the name given by the portugese explorers who landed here so i dont see sense in you saying Lagos is a semi yoruba city.

Even if Lagos is called chukwudi tomorrow, it wont change the fact that Lagos is a yoruba city like enugu is an igbo city

Afterall, what is in a name, if a rose is renamed shit, would it still not smell so sweet?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Mar 03, 2009
vicade:

The word is Eko. That is why you never hear Lagos will never spoil rather you hear EKO O NI BAJE

And there is an OBA of Eko.Lagos was the name given by the portugese explorers who landed here so i dont see sense in you saying Lagos is a semi yoruba city.

Even if Lagos is called chukwudi tomorrow, it wont change the fact that Lagos is a yoruba city like enugu is an igbo city

Afterall, what is in a name, if a rose is renamed shit, would it still not smell so sweet?

Who else calls lagos "EKO" other than yorubas
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by vicade(m): 1:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

Who else calls lagos "EKO" other than yorubas

Portuguese explorers were the first Europeans to begin trade in Nigeria, and called the port Lagos after the Portuguese town of Lagos, in Algarve

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;---From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594:

Moreover, Lagos is easier for the white man to pronounce than EKO grin

Look my guy. Lagos is a yoruba state whatever you call it. Just accept that and be good.

Funny enough they just played P-Square's Omoge Mi on Tv. One Nigeria for Life. Gunner for Life.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chisimdi(f): 1:49pm On Mar 03, 2009
dunno abt singing in yoruba,but wat i luv is way dey speak yoruba.E.g Ejoo sumo ohu ka nwanne gi joko. grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by dm1(m): 2:02pm On Mar 03, 2009
@IBOBOY
thats an ignorant comment, which says a lot about you

SORRY I DIDNT INTRODUCE MESELF AM NOT YORUBA

Of course yoruba has more appeal. That is why an act like King Sunny Ade will play in any Igbo,Yoruba or Hausa event.

And another thing you will rarely hear is a Yoruba Artiste singing in Igbo. .You will rarely hear 9ice sing in Igbo. Hwever Dbanj did sing in Igbo in his iigwe Track and it was nice but Singing in Yoruba has a Broader and Better Appeal than Igbo or any other Nigerian Language and You have to go with the winning formula to be successful

Just Imagine singing GONGO ASO or Yahoozee in Igbo or any other naija Language.Even MI's Anoti track had yoruba in it and it had nice appeal.

Lagos is where it is and Lagos is a Yoruba State

CORRECT!!! BUT THOSE SONGS U MENTIONED CAN BE SANG IN OTHER LANGUAGE DEPENDING ON THE ARTIST. ZULUZO HAVE THE SEXIEST LANGUAGE AND DANCE AND AM SURE WILL DO IF NOT BETTER WITH YAHOZEEEEEEE. I LIKE THE VOICE OF THAT YORUBA RAPPER THO VERY CRISPY.LOL
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tpia: 2:13pm On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by differ: 2:34pm On Mar 03, 2009
well, its obvious that the vast majority of hit music which are released are released where the market is which is without a doubt in Lagos or south western part of nigeria, perharps thats why the urge to add the yoruba flavour comes from, its not to say any other tribe can't effectively blend with the emerging music industry, yoruba or no yoruba in by ibos, i guess the stuff there is to sing good songs for people to trip and shake body as it is the nigerian whatever nowadays,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by differ: 2:38pm On Mar 03, 2009
the environment matters, make your songs marketable, do what you can, hmmm! l
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 2:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
vicade:

Portuguese explorers were the first Europeans to begin trade in Nigeria, and called the port Lagos after the Portuguese town of Lagos, in Algarve

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;---From Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, 1594:

Moreover, Lagos is easier for the white man to pronounce than EKO  grin

Look my guy. Lagos is a yoruba state whatever you call it. Just accept that and be good.

Funny enough they just played P-Square's Omoge Mi on Tv. One Nigeria for Life. Gunner for Life.

Lagos is a semi Yoruba city, the same way Port-hacourt is a semi Igbo City, we have to recognize other ethnicities that live in this cities.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by JJYOU: 2:41pm On Mar 03, 2009
differ:

the environment matters, make your songs marketable, do what you can, hmmm!   l
yes it is not called [size=16pt]show business[/size] for nothing.  [size=18pt]it makes commercial sence[/size]
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by olabombo(m): 3:34pm On Mar 03, 2009
you all are mistaken one thing , yoruba is the only language God understands every others languages needs to be interpreted.to be an international star you have to sing in yoruba or half yoruba half broken
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2009
@Afamz, dude you are very very ethnocentric, I swear it kills you to even think that they Igbo youth growing up in Lagos would rather express themselves in Yoruba or Pidgin. Get real, it is what it is, like some fool that says because Igbo music was playing at Ini Edo's wedding, it means Igbo people aren't making songs in Yoruba.

BTW, Lagos is not a semi anything, if you wanna know why only yoruba people call Lagos Eko, it's the same reason you do not call Germany 'Deustchland' or Japan 'Nippon'. Lagos has other ethnicities but the soul of the city is Yoruba, to deny that is to be a hater, plain and simple.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 3:53pm On Mar 03, 2009
AfroCynic:

@Afamz, dude you are very very ethnocentric, I swear it kills you to even think that they Igbo youth growing up in Lagos would rather express themselves in Yoruba or Pidgin.

What if it was the other way around, how would u feel.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by deb(m): 3:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
Man must chop o. Abeg leave dem Igbo people with biz sense
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 3:55pm On Mar 03, 2009
If someone is showcasing your language, you should be flattered, not big headed about it.

When P Square is filling stadiums around Africa, I dont think Igbo's become puffed up about it, infact Nigerians see them as their own, not simply belonging to the Igbos.

I think we really need to put the tribalistic sentiments behind us, having pride in your culture/language is a good thing, but let the looking down on another languages cease.

After all, everyone believes their own Mother's cooking to be the best, dont they?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 4:30pm On Mar 03, 2009
Lagos is a semi Yoruba city, the same way Port-hacourt is a semi Igbo City, we have to recognize other ethnicities that live in this cities.

is this a joke? Are you implying that Lagos and PH are the only states that have other ethnicities?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sauron1: 4:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
afam4eva:

You are a stark illiterate!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 4:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

Cosigned! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

is this a joke? Are you implying that Lagos and PH are the only states that have other ethnicities?

A huge chunk of them
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Mar 03, 2009
~Sauron~:

What has it got to do with been illiterate.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2009
MrCrackles:

Cosigned! grin

@Bloody MrCrackles

You've made over 8000 post in nairaland, but you've never made sense in any, you're just what i call "Isi-Ewu 2009"

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (17) (Reply)

Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / NBC Bans Olamide Song, 'Don't-Stop' For Vulgar Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.