Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,226 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates (102469 Views)

Latest Ranking Of States By Financial Sustainability, Debt And IGR (PICS) / Ranking Of States By Poverty Rates In Nigeria / Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by GodMode: 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
dearpreye:

Then theirs must be totally different from the primitive version of ours.

Yes...

In Nigeria, old people don't encourage the young... They impose limits on young people.. But the youths are beginning to break those shacklesgringringrin
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
BuddahMonk:

Highlighted abi alighted....Ogbeni Bin Rauf kataf Adesoji Aragbarascal come see your products oooooooooooooooo

grin grin grin grin grin grin
u b ode anybody can make mistake, and pple like u hardly make waec once
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Fellonigerians: 3:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
scholes0:
[size=13pt]United Nations' Multi Dimensional Poverty Index[/size]

The United Nations' Global Multi-Dimensional Poverty Index has three dimensions and 10 indicators in estimating Overall Poverty. Each dimension is equally weighted, each indicator within a dimension is also equally weighted, and added. It uses 10 indicators to measure poverty in three dimensions: Education, Health and Living standards. This report was Published in June 2015, and is based on data collected on years between 2004 and 2014.
According to the MPI Report, as at 2010, 46% of Nigerians lived below the national poverty line (Only 28% in Urban areas, and near 70% in The rural). Although a Report by the World bank, released in 2014, showed that only 33% of Nigerians could be considered Poor.

Now, to the Report........
States by Incidence of Poverty

[size=15pt] STATES<-->POVERTY RATE
1. Lagos --------- 8.5%
2. Osun --------- 10.9%
3. Anambra --------- 11.2%
4. Ekiti --------- 12.9%
5. Edo --------- 19.2%
6. Imo --------- 19.8%
7. Abia --------- 21.0%
8. Rivers --------- 21.1%
*. FCT (Abj) --------- 23.5%
9. Kwara --------- 23.7%
10. Akwa Ibom --------- 23.8%
11. Delta --------- 25.1%
12. Ogun --------- 26.1%
13. Kogi --------- 26.4%
14. Ondo --------- 27.9%
15. Enugu --------- 28.8%
16. Bayelsa --------- 29.0%
17. Oyo --------- 29.4%
18. Cross River --------- 33.1%
-------------------------------------------------------
** National Avg --------- 46.0%
19. Plateau --------- 51.6%
20. Nassarawa --------- 52.4%
21. Ebonyi --------- 56.0%
22. Kaduna --------- 56.5%
23. Adamawa --------- 59.0%
24. Benue --------- 59.2%
25. Niger --------- 61.2%
26. Borno --------- 70.1%
27. Kano --------- 76.4%
28. Gombe --------- 76.9%
29. Taraba --------- 77.7%
30. Katsina --------- 82.2%
31. Sokoto --------- 85.3%
32. Kebbi --------- 86.0%
33. Bauchi --------- 86.6%
34. Jigawa --------- 88.4%
35. Yobe --------- 90.2%
36. Zamfara --------- 91.9%[/size]

REGIONAL AVERAGES
1 = South West - 19.3% Poverty (+ Average)
2 = South South - 25.2% Poverty (+ Average)
3 = South East - 27.36% Poverty (+ Average)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
** National Avg 46.0%% Poverty

4 = North Central - 45.7% Poverty (+Average)
5 = North East - 76.8% Poverty (- Average)
6 = North West- 80.9% Poverty (- Average) Damn!! shocked

Sources
The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index by the U.N
http://www.dataforall.org/dashboard/ophi/index.php/
Click on Nigeria, and then "Nigeria country briefing, from the dropdown menu".
http://www.ophi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Multidimensional-Poverty-Index-2015-2-March-2015.pdf?0a8fd7&13666f

This can be solved just by the exploration of the abundant natural resources in the northern geo-political zones... Will improve the local economy of the states, and translate to a higher standard of living for their indigenes...
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by ApexTitan(m): 3:43pm On Jul 01, 2015
Yujin:

I gave you reasons why I doubted Osun's position in my comment. Since you're in support give me reasons why you think Osun should be there.

Your reason was completely anecdotal, i.e, it was formed from your viewpoints and personal experience. The study was a result of compilation and analysis of available and verifiable data, your counter is not. I am not required to defend the findings of this study, if Osun has a higher ranking than Anambra it is as a result of the methodology used. Since you call to question this findings the burden of proof lies on you to show how or why it is flawed empirically or logically.

Let's all remember that this not some beer palour discussion where anyone can make a claim and expect to be believed upfront.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 01, 2015
GodMode:

Yes...

In Nigeria, old people don't encourage the young... They impose limits on young people.. But the youths are beginning to break those shacklesgringringrin

The current Nigeria youths are further strengthening the chains designed by the old criminals. They're more interested in Nairabet and other instant gratification schemes. Our leaders understand this madness, thereby seeing us as tools.

Japan and China are a very prosperous and developed nation. They have leaders with an unrepentant attitude towards nationalism. They're Whites. The average black person hardly thinks beyond his comfort....

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Abba999(f): 3:46pm On Jul 01, 2015
Brokenbars:
Abia ranked above most states? im speechlessssss. Entering d state sef, u will see poverty written all over it like billboards. This is my opinion and its not tribalistic

Darling I love the way u put it. cheesy
But its not by the town, its all about how much in the pockek of the people in the state. wink

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by no2fuks(m): 3:46pm On Jul 01, 2015
superstar1:

This is a United Nation's report and not under the mango tree make-me-happy, tales by moonlight fallacies you always tell yourselves.

no be united nations oh na Oxford poverty and human initiative I checked the link google shows the site is hacked

SCAM Alert

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Olayinkaoj(m): 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
scholes0:
Why is that guy laughing at Osun?
Some people don't know the difference between a cash strapped government, and a Poor people. ...
Moreover, the Problem with Osun, started when the FG drastically reduced their Federal allocation, to levels not commensurate/Proportional to the state's population.
Again, the data was cumulative between the years 2004-2014... Osun's recent problems with paying Salaries is just a blink, within the time frame of this report.

Point of correction:
Osun State's problem stated when contracts were 'bogusly' awarded to gratify the friends of Mr. Governor from Lagos for their support during the tribunal that brought him on. Imagine planting of flowers along Gbongan-Ibadan road to cost as much as N10m per Km, construction of 1km of dual carriage for N800m/km etc, sponsoring other states APC election. My state wasted a fortune on Ondo, Anambra and Ekiti elections
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by asha80(m): 3:47pm On Jul 01, 2015
dearpreye:

The current Nigeria youths are further strengthening the chains designed by the old criminals. They're more interested in Nairabet and other instant gratification schemes. Our leaders understand this madness, thereby seeing us as tools.

Japan and China are a very prosperous and developed nation. They have leaders with an unrepentant attitude towards nationalism. They're Whites. The average black person hardly thinks beyond his comfort....
your last sentence is just the exact problem with the africans and the black race in general
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by skondo09(m): 3:50pm On Jul 01, 2015
MKO4ever:
This report is false
Jigawa should take the 1st position
And how can you rate kogi as 26.4% while Kano at 76.4%. I think the reverse should be the case

hw possible, can u compare kano populatn to dt of kogi, where popltn is high, d gross poverty rate will be higher than areas less populated
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by redcap: 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:
This supports why Igbos move to the SW to do business. They need customers that'd buy their products.

Theyre in all SW states with their 4X4 shops.

Gradually we are getting there,so its no longer 2x2

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by kalufelix(m): 3:51pm On Jul 01, 2015
abokh! Com Shine ma shoe take N10...
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
redcap:

Gradually we are getting there,so its no longer 2x2

Thanks to SW customers.

Business men know where to make profit.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by skondo09(m): 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
i tink dis statistics shld hv been alongside wt d populatn of these states nt just comparing it wen populatn per states differs
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Super1Star: 3:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
ApexTitan:

Your reason was completely anecdotal, i.e, it was formed from your viewpoints and personal experience. The study was a result of compilation and analysis of available and verifiable data, your counter is not. I am not required to defend the findings of this study, if Osun has a higher ranking than Anambra it is as a result of the methodology used. Since you call to question this findings the burden of proof lies on you to show how or why it is flawed empirically or logically.

Let's all remember that this not some beer palour discussion where anyone can make a claim and expect to be believed upfront.

God will bless you.

They lack the mental capacity and intellectual acumen to disprove the methodology and the resultant results with facts, figures and empirical evidences that are verifiable.

According to the report, Osun has lower poverty than Anambra. Any aggrieved person can head to ICC or issue the usual lame ultimatum. This i what i will believe, until i see a contrary report.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Mbediogu(m): 3:54pm On Jul 01, 2015
[quote author=scholes0 post=35358897][size=13pt]United Nations' Multi Dimensional Poverty Index[/size]

The United Nations' Global Multi-Dimensional Poverty Index has three dimensions and 10 indicators in estimating Overall Poverty. Each dimension is equally weighted, each indicator within a dimension is also equally weighted, and added. It uses 10 indicators to measure poverty in three dimensions: Education, Health and Living standards. This report was Published in June 2015, and is based on data collected on years between 2004 and 2014.
According to the MPI Report, as at 2010, 46% of Nigerians lived below the national poverty line (Only 28% in Urban areas, and near 70% in The rural). Although a Report by the World bank, released in 2014, showed that only 33% of Nigerians could be considered Poor.

Now, to the Report........
States by Incidence of Poverty

[size=15pt] STATES<-->POVERTY RATE
1. Lagos --------- 8.5%
2. Osun --------- 10.9%
3. Anambra --------- 11.2%
4. Ekiti --------- 12.9%
5. Edo --------- 19.2%
6. Imo --------- 19.8%
7. Abia --------- 21.0%
8. Rivers --------- 21.1%
*. FCT (Abj) --------- 23.5%
9. Kwara --------- 23.7%
10. Akwa Ibom --------- 23.8%
11. Delta --------- 25.1%
12. Ogun --------- 26.1%
13. Kogi --------- 26.4%
14. Ondo --------- 27.9%
15. Enugu --------- 28.8%
16. Bayelsa --------- 29.0%
17. Oyo --------- 29.4%
18. Cross River --------- 33.1%
** National Avg --------- 46.0%
19. Plateau --------- 51.6%
20. Nassarawa --------- 52.4%
21. Ebonyi --------- 56.0%
22. Kaduna --------- 56.5%
23. Adamawa --------- 59.0%
24. Benue --------- 59.2%
25. Niger --------- 61.2%
26. Borno --------- 70.1%
27. Kano --------- 76.4%
28. Gombe --------- 76.9%
29. Taraba --------- 77.7%
30. Katsina --------- 82.2%
31. Sokoto --------- 85.3%
32. Kebbi --------- 86.0%
33. Bauchi --------- 86.6%
34. Jigawa --------- 88.4%
35. Yobe --------- 90.2%
36. Zamfara --------- 91.9%[/size]

REGIONAL AVERAGES
1 = South West - 19.3% Poverty (+ Average)
2 = South South - 25.2% Poverty (+ Average)
3 = South East - 27.36% Poverty (+ Average)

** National Avg 46.0%% Poverty

4 = North Central - 45.7% Poverty (+Average)
5 = North East - 76.8% Poverty (- Average)
6 = North West- 80.9% Poverty (- Average) Damn!! shocked

Sources
The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index by the U.N
http://www.dataforall.org/dashboard/ophi/index.php/
Click on Nigeria, and then "Nigeria country briefing, from the dropdown menu".
http://www.ophi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Multidimensional-Poverty-Index-2015-2-March-2015.pdf?0a8fd7&13666f

Poverty level in Imo State should be about 100 or 200 percent. My people there are living 5ft below poverty line. Imagine a civil service state going 8 months without..... Chai, but it would have been worse if the other man had won the election. Imolites know what I mean. they are surviving on 50 cents per year.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Super1Star: 3:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
skondo09:
i tink dis statistics shld hv been alongside wt d populatn of these states nt just comparing it wen populatn per states differs

the ratios will be a function of the population of each state.

In absolute figures, a state A might have richer people than state B, but in ratios it might be lesser, which makes state B better and more desirable than state A.

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by GodMode: 3:56pm On Jul 01, 2015
ideykwum:
That guy doesn't know the difference between Nationalism and Tribalism...They look alike, seem alike, sometimes have similar outcomes...but they are two radically different concepts!

They are the same thing...

One is to tribe, the other is to countrygringringrin
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by HIPROFILE(m): 3:56pm On Jul 01, 2015
Anambra state shaa!

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Funjosh(m): 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
scholes0:

Does a state have to be 100% Yoruba to be in the South-West?
Very good and intelligent question. cool
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by oismail(m): 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
Northerner sha!
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by EasternPride: 3:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
dearpreye:

Exactly what Radio Biafra preaches,l.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by dokunbam(m): 4:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
Gulbis:
. The list is about the individual standards of living,not the wealth of the state. For example,Akwa Ibom is wealthy,but there's lots of poverty there. Osun has no oil,but there's less poverty.

Ose jare

By the time they start mining the gold in Ilesha, Osun will be number one
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
EasternPride:

Exactly what Radio Biafra preaches,l.

That's the simple truth. A careful look will confirm it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by cornel00(m): 4:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
Almajiri production factories will always remain poooooooorrrrrr
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by salt1: 4:06pm On Jul 01, 2015
Tripleclick:
This thread de sweet me die, imagine a tribe that fought civil war bragging with d pple dat nva fought a single war,, kai!!!! Igbo badoooo!!!! Hardwork pays my bro; we rise from our fall and remain strong!!! We will forever proper!!!

Thanks for this observation. Is it not amazing that the four Igbo states: Anambra, Enugu, Imo and Abia that came back after the Civil war to meet the rubble that was their territory, hunger, poverty, abandoned property etc are all way better than the national average? And those who didn't experience any such set-back are glorying that they are slightly better than Anambra?

Instead of weeping over this assessment, I think the Igbos should take it as a tribute to their enterprise and industry. Who knows? In 5years time, they could be the first five nationwide

6 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Superman11(m): 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2015
NeduLuiZ:
Let them keep bombing away their generation s future grin

She's right beneath me tongue

[size=18pt] I tire for them all their time in Power these Northern people are still living in poverty. I tire for them ooh.
Babagida and all those EMirs them dey carry them play Dogoyaro games. hahaha. Yet them go dey bomb their self. i go advice all southerners to come back to the south .. [/size]
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by dokunbam(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
grin
Super1Star:

kini were afofungbemu yii nso, omo irankiran to n fi sliding tackle ji baba e.
cheesy
Super1Star:

kini were afofungbemu yii nso, omo irankiran to n fi sliding tackle ji baba e.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by freez2ryme(m): 4:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
Isn't it interesting that SE fought civil war, 60% of their infrastructure destroyed and yet, still rubbing shoulders with other regions,. That tells you that in the next 45 years the standard of living in SE will be ten times better than other regions.
IGBO'S UNA TOO MUCH JARE. I COMMOT CAP 4 una.

5 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by breakeven: 4:14pm On Jul 01, 2015
scholes0:
Why is that guy laughing at Osun?
Some people don't know the difference between a cash strapped government, and a Poor people. ...
Moreover, the Problem with Osun, started when the FG drastically reduced their Federal allocation, to levels not commensurate/Proportional to the state's population.
Again, the data was cumulative between the years 2004-2014... Osun's recent problems with paying Salaries is just a blink, within the time frame of this report.

BTW:
Since i was pretty much sure that everyone was going to be complaining about Why their state is not number 1, or why so so and so state should be in the number 6 Position, while their was ranked in 9th ....
Please take your time to read the Parameters of the Report., which includes several factors like Educational attainment levels, Standards of Living, Etc.... This isn't just a purely monetary mode of measuring Poverty.
Do not shift the blame from the governor. he mismanaged his state resources. period.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Alexander001(m): 4:16pm On Jul 01, 2015
so united nation visited all the states in Nigeria to compile the list.. them try oo bt I didn't see any of their workers near my street. abi we no follow?
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by ideykwum: 4:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
Now I know you know the difference and are just being mischievous!! grin There is a difference between Sokoto and Nigeria...

GodMode:

They are the same thing...

One is to tribe, the other is to countrygringringrin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Dele Sobowale Apologises To Goodluck Jonathan. GEJ Reacts / Kano: 'they Tried To Whisk Away Results To Govt House, We Did This" - (pix, Vide / APC Matters In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.