Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,493 members, 7,812,529 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:50 PM

My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? (77076 Views)

"A Honour" Or "An Honour" Which Is Grammatically Correct??? / My Name Is "OR" My Names Are; Which Is More Correct? / As I Said Vs. Like I Said: Which Is Grammatically Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by RJayson(m): 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is def, My names are is used when giving testimony in church... They go "My names are Sis Peace Okpara"
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by nigelcoop: 12:25pm On Jul 04, 2015
U only have one name no matter the number of names you have, so intruducing urself with my names are is wrong, you can only use is as this is singular! I.e just you

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Ralphlauren(m): 12:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
Btruth:
Both are corrects depending on how you use them. Example: My name is Btruth or My names are Bitter Truth.

Happy weekend.

Another block head undecided
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pineapp:
My "name is"=singular.

My "names are"=plural..

Both phrases are correct depending on the situation.

Wrong!!!

As long as you're referring to ONE person, the correct thing is "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan" smiley

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by sorextee(m): 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is Faisal..

My names are Faisal Mshelia junior..
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Sant1m: 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is Onu Dogara Akande, and not my names are Onu Dogara Akande, Though both (is and are) are primary auxiliary. The subject in reference is just one person( Onu), is should be used to indicate singular in line with the rule of CONCORD, Using (are) on the other hand indicates plurarity, two persons. I can't for instance state that, the names of my country(ies) are Democratic Republic of Congo or the name of my country(ies) are Trinidad and Tobago. My opinion anyway.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
debolly:

Exactly.....its concord..... "is" agrees with singular while "are" goes with plural.

Wrong!!!

There is an exception to names of humans.
As long as you're referring to ONE person, the correct thing is "My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan" smiley

However, if you're referring to more than one person, the plural 'are', may be used. For example, our names are Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, Muhammadu Buhari and Yemi Osinbajo.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by chukslawrence(m): 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is.... Correct....
If u could say... My names ... Den "are" is good to go
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Originalsly: 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

His name is Jehovah Elshaddai.

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

I catch your drift but that's not correct. My name is Jehovah Elshaddai aka (also known as) Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi, ...Your name is what is written on your birth certificate/marriage certificate ....and only one name/identity is pla ed there. Go fill out a visa application form and enter any non official name and see what happens. One person...one name....one identity.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by pasol4real(m): 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

well, here's my reasoning...

In a sane world, no body has just one name.
The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

So, I'd rather go with my name IS Margaret Thatcher.
As far as identifying me is concerned, none is complete without the other.
I am Margaret and I'm a Thatcher.
In other words, my name is Margaret Thatcher.

"My names are" should, or, can be used when you need to make known your different names/titles, which to a very large extent are independent of the other.

For Example;

And

His names are Jehovah Elshaddai, Jehovah Tsidkenu, Jehovah Shammah, Jehovah Nissi.....
Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Splendid Just wot i thought
U really wowed me .
1000000000000000000000 gbosas for u .
Gbosa gbosa gbosa.............

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2015
Sant1m:
My name is Onu Dogara Akande, and not my names are Onu Dogara Akande, Though both (is and are) are primary auxiliary. The subject in reference is just one person( Onu), is should be used to indicate singular in line with the rule of CONCORD, Using (are) on the other hand indicates plurarity, two persons. I can't for instance state that, the names of my country(ies) are Democratic Republic of Congo or the name of my country(ies) are Trinidad and Tobago. My opinion anyway.

This is not a matter of opinion. You're right!!! wink

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Justicealh3(m): 12:32pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is TRIPLE (A). U can findout how this AAA breaks out.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by AdmiralPato(m): 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

The family is the smallest unit of human interactions and an emotional centre of sorts.

We'd all be lost if we had no family to identify with, which explains the reasons a sane human would normally crave for a sense of belonging....

Now this family you belong to has a name, that is first and foremost, who you are.

Which is why you don't hear people like Khloe Kardashian saying, "I am a Khloe"...but you can hear her saying "I am a Kardashian"
There's something about pedigree that speaks volumes of the stuff you're made of.

In other words, your surname and your name are dependent on each other and actually function as ONE when it comes to introducing yourself in a formal/semi-formal setting.

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

BOSS!

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by musicwriter(m): 12:34pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

Notedsmiley

Thanks for your kind understanding. And, if you have time read this link.

Elite brainwashing is the last stage of mental slavery http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Aringon(m): 12:35pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is- is the right grammar when introducing urself in a normal gathering.

My names are- is usually applied in a court of law where u r known to many people with nicknames and other names. This is to prevent confusion to the judge when witnesses come to the box .

It is grammatically wrong to stand up in a normal gathering and say " My names are Goodluck Joshua Musa

Djicemob:
My Name Is....

My Names Are...

This has caused serious arguments between me and friends couple of times so i decided to bring it to the house.English Language Gurus and Linguists,what are your take on the above phrases,which is better and grammatically correct when introducing oneself.Hopefully we can all learn a thing or two from your inputs.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by BluStreak(m): 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
You only have one name no matter how many middle names you have. It is singular. 'My name is...' is the universally accepted correct way to put it. However, with many aliases you can use 'My names are. . . .'

But for heaven's sake, stick to 'My name is . . .'
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Ralphlauren(m): 12:36pm On Jul 04, 2015
RJayson:
My name is def, My names are is used when giving testimony in church... They go "My names are Sis Peace Okpara "

Smh.

So because it's used in church, that makes it grammatically correct? undecided

What school did you attend? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Ak4me(m): 12:38pm On Jul 04, 2015
We need to make research on something bothering us especially when some of us are trying to define some aspect of english language which is not our forefathers language.
My name is Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is correct bcoz name its a compound word. We shouldn't say my names are.
If we are not we can contact David Cameron or Prince Charles to give d full details of the 2 phrase. Thank you

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by nathbag(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
My name is, correct. it is all about individual representation,
But your names are 1formal name, house name, village name, gangster name etc
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by RJayson(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
Ralphlauren:

Smh.

What school did you attend? undecided
What part of the sentence is disturbing you..choii
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by lonelydora: 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
But your name and your lastname is your identity representing you as a singular entity cheesy

That means you are asking to know if WE know, and not asking to know.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
The both are correct but in different dimension.
You can make use of (are) when introducing your personalities to your frnds,
And you can make use of (is) when introducing yourself to your relatives.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by waky15(m): 12:39pm On Jul 04, 2015
The correct one is ' my name is' not' my names are'. This is because whatever name a person bears still refers to that person. E.g. My name is Akin Omo Akinwale. Not 'My names are Akin Omo Akinwale'
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gbaskiboy: 12:41pm On Jul 04, 2015
Djicemob:
Ok "my names are" Engr Icemob, can you be my shortyy? grin tongue
hehehehehehehe toasting on Nairaland grin grin
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by gbaskiboy: 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
Shortyy:
iranu grin
speaking his mind though, give it a thought grin
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by bosunjohns(m): 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
MizMyColi:

For Example;

And

Respectively.
You catch my drift?
wink

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by martineverest(m): 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
Best example so far.........examples of the odamy names are chinedu ikedi(his real name),king of women,chinedu the great etc.they are no longer acting as a unit but seperate
freeage7:
Let's look at the rules of concord, I mean, agreement. When two things form a unit. Eg. Rice and stew is my best food. Why not rice and stew are my best food? The concord rule says rice and stew form a Unit. Just like bread and butter, they also form a unit. By this rule my names form a single entity, a singular me. So I go with, my name is Tunji Agboola.

I stand to be corrected oh. No disrespect please.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Kay512: 12:42pm On Jul 04, 2015
My names are is grammatically incorrect.

It is the First, middle and last name that make a name.
If u tell me you're Tunde, how do I know the Tunde you're talking about if you don't include your other names.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2015
"MY" implies singular no matter how many names you got.

Simple.
Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pineapp:
My "name is"=singular.

My "names are"=plural..

Both phrases are correct depending on the situation.

This is wrong please.

A person's name is a compound noun. "Is" is therefore correct
what is your name? is grammatically correct. but as English Language is dynamic, and you can prove yourself beyond a reasonable doubt if you are ask to explain why it should be what are your names? world may accept it. but for now "what are your names? my names are ........ are non English.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is OR My Names Are,which Is Grammatically Correct? by freeage7(m): 12:45pm On Jul 04, 2015
EvenInFreetown:

What d op asked was:which of them is GRAMMATICALLY correct?.Grammar is simply obeying d rules of english both in speech and in writing. However,it could appear illogical smtimes e.g, make is plural, makes is singular.boy is singular, boys is plural.sheep is said to be uncountable noun,but goat is countable(sounds funny and illogical),but it's just the rule(law). We must adhere to it.just like in Nigerian law,smone that stole billions of naira upon conviction would be asked to choose b/w paying N750k or serving a 2-year jail term,whereas, a petty theif that stole, say,N10k would be sentenced to 3yrs jail term without an option of fine.so,but dats just d law(rule) which the judges are tied to, even when they are convinced that it's very illogical.I think i've digressed a lot just to draw my point.To answer the question, it is:'my name is'.That is d grammatical rule which even the native english speakers(british)use.However,you are free to freestyle in literary works(speeches/writing),which involves expressing ur thoughts originally as they come out from ur sub-conscience mind,such as u can see in literally works - peoms,prose, etc. writers use it to narrate their stories originally as d thoughts comes.such as in love letters,songs,hymns,novels,even in speeches etc.
Please, how is sheep an uncountable noun? I understand the plural of sheep is sheep, that It is an uncountable noun, I need explanation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Finally, Ciroma Chukwuma Adekunle Passed WAEC. The Change Is Real / Nigerian Universities With Best Teaching Hospitals / See Ghana’s Oldest University View That Got People Talking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.