Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,033 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Most Overated Player In The Premier League - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Most Overated Player In The Premier League (7437 Views)

Is Cristiano Ronaldo The Most Complete Player In The Planet? / Nairaland Fantasy Premier League 2013/2014 / Alex Ferguson & Ryan Giggs Named Best Manager & Player In EPL History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 8:33am On Mar 26, 2009
dayokanu:

Akola?

How can you put those players together with Gerrard. Fabregas and Arteta? Why not Mikel and Bramble?

Or even Deco and Shittu!  grin It's just anti-Liverpool sentiment speaking here.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 2:29pm On Mar 26, 2009
Or even Deco and Shittu! It's just anti-Liverpool sentiment speaking here.
i hate Pool but i love some of their players

Torres, Gerrard, Alonso and Babel.

Gimme those players and ill take anytime anyday
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Akolawole(m): 2:42pm On Mar 26, 2009
@Dayo

What makes Steven better than Arteta and Fab?

Check out those 2 players, football is in the head.

I really dont like Fabregas behaviour but he's in a different wavelenght.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 2:45pm On Mar 26, 2009
@Dayo

I really dont like Fabregas behaviour but he's in a different wavelenght
Gerrard is better in every way

Arteta and Fab4? nah
khaki no be leather
kijipa kin se awo grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 2:54pm On Mar 26, 2009
Akolawole:

@Dayo

I really dont like Fabregas behaviour but he's in a different wavelenght.

Fabregas is better than Gerrard in the midfield position.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tayoccu(m): 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2009
Rooney

Anderson

Nani

Ferdinand

Alex

Ben Haim

Adebayor

Mikel

Micah Richards

Agbonlahor

Milner

Brash

add ~Sauron~ to the list.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Mar 26, 2009
Fabregas is better than Gerrard in the midfield position
says you alone.
ask Fabregas himself and he'll laf at u.
They are not equals
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2009
Fab better than Gerrard in the midfield postion? !!!!!!!!! You must be having a laugh grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 6:19pm On Mar 26, 2009
tkb417:

says you alone.
ask Fabregas himself and he'll laf at u.
They are not equals

When would you herbs realise GERRARD does not thrive as a midfielder??
He has been superb in the last 12 months because he now plays as a supporting striker.
Between 1998 and 2008. . . . . .Gerrard has been a waste pipe for Liverpool.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 6:37pm On Mar 26, 2009
He has been superb in the last 12 months because he now plays as a supporting striker.
Between 1998 and 2008. . . . . .Gerrard has been a waste pipe for Liverpool

so according to you, Gerrard has only been fantastic this season grin
according to Sauron, Gerrard has been a waste pipe prior to his support striking role.
Thats laffable you know Sauron.

For starters, Gerrard has not only played as a central midfielder, but also as a winger when Benitez was looking to add some width to his game.

nyways answer these questions
what year did Gerrard win the UEFA club footballer of the year? what position did he play for Pool?
who won the PFA player of the year 2005/6 season? how many goals did he score that same season? and what role did he play for Pool?
If hes been a waste pipe till 2008, how come hes always scoring in torrents?
do you know how many goals he scored in 2007/8 season? 

i dont need to waste my time arguing. drop the stats for Fab4 and Arteta and lets see
add all UTD central midfielders to the list (except scholes)

Scholesy is a father anytime grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by DrKitaun(m): 6:46pm On Mar 26, 2009
dont mind Chacal . . .he is still hurting from the scousfest grin

how can u compare Gerrard with all the shitty players in Manure's midfield save for Scholesy ? grin

@Akola

Gerrard . . .

Pirlo . . .

Seedorf . . .

those are great midfielders all time that are still playing the game until they call time on their careers. Call them living legends cheesy

Fab and Arteta still have a lifetime ahead of them to prove themselves

Gerrard as an individual should be studied in tertiary institutions in analysing the word/factor/phenomenon called MOTIVATION !!! cool
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 6:53pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Between 1998 and 2008. . . . . .Gerrard has been a waste pipe for Liverpool.

In 2005, he won the UCL MVP playing centrally and RB on some occasions; but then 2005 doesn't fall between 1998 and 2008, does it?
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Nobody: 6:54pm On Mar 26, 2009
Michael Ballack! what does he do?
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 6:56pm On Mar 26, 2009
tkb417:

so according to you, Gerrard has only been fantastic this season grin
according to Sauron, Gerrard has been a waste pipe prior to his support striking role.
Thats laffable you know Sauron.

How laughable?? How many goals has he scored against United or Chelsea until this season??
When has he ever made a significant impact in any game against the BIG 4 teams in England??
I can remember him giving a back-pass that allowed Henry to score in a game at Highbury.

For starters, Gerrard has not only played as a central midfielder, but also as a winger when Benitez was looking to add some width to his game.
FYI, in case ur TV was doing domino's style for you

That is because he is no good as a central midfielder.
Benitez will not play Xabi Alonso and Mascherano at the same time if Gerrard can be trusted as a central midfielder.
If he was that good as a CM, Liverpool woulda won the Premiership a long time ago.

answer these questions
what year did Gerrard win the UEFA world footballer of the year? what position did he play for Pool?
who won the PFA player of the year 2005/6 season? how many goals did he score that same season? and what role did he play for Pool?
If hes been a waste pipe till 2008, how come hes always scoring in torrents?
do you know how many goals he scored in 2007/8 season? 

Gerrard won UEFA world footballer of the year in 2004/5 because Liverpool won the Champions League(Thatz no brainer).
David Beckham won it in 1999 when United won the Champions League also. Was Beckham the best United player in 1999??
I call all that the British hype. Had Ronaldo not scored 42 goals last season, Carrick or Hargreaves woulda won it. grin grin grin grin

Gerrard is a wastepipe. . . . . . . . .His goal haul centres around penalties and freekicks.
How many does he score from open play?? I cannot believe you get carried away with Gerrard's foto-trick.
Why does he come short for England?? Did u see the game against Russia?? How Gerrard lost the midfield to amateurs??

Gerrard won PFA award in 2005/6 on the back of his heroics against West Ham in the FA cup final.
Why didn't he win the other individual awards(FWA and FPY) if he was that good??
All the players who have won PFA award since 98 have gone on to win other domestic awards. . . . .
Like i have said, it's the British hype.

i dont need to waste my time arguing. drop the stats for Fab4 and Arteta and lets see
add all UTD central midfielders to the list

None of em United central midfielders play penalties and freekicks.
Fab4 and Arteta are better midfielders than Gerrard.

@ Dr. Kitaun,

U must be high on used tampon.

Gerrard ahead of Xavi and Iniesta??
Gerrard ahead of Roman Riquelme??
Gerrard ahead of Michael Essien??
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2009
dont mind Chacal . . .he is still hurting from the scousfest  

how can u compare Gerrard with all the shitty players in Manure's midfield save for Scholesy ?  

we dont have shitty midfielders. Gerrard is just better thats all

Fab and Arteta still have a lifetime ahead of them to prove themselves
Arteta compared to Gerrard? hehehehe

Gerrard as an individual should be studied in tertiary institutions in analysing the word/factor/phenomenon called MOTIVATION !!!  

MINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 2005, he won the UCL MVP playing centrally and RB on some occasions; but then 2005 doesn't fall between 1998 and 2008, does it?
im waiting for his response.

Michael Ballack! what does he do?
nothing. Old age don set in

How laughable?? How many goals has he scored against United or Chelsea until this season??
When has he ever made a significant impact in any game against the BIG 4 teams in England??
I can remember him giving a back-pass that allowed Henry to score in a game at Highbury.
how many goals has Fabregas scored against the other big teams?

That is because he is no good as a central midfielder.
Benitez will not play Xabi Alonso and Mascherano at the same time if Gerrard can be trusted as a central midfielder.
If he was that good as a CM, Liverpool woulda won the Premiership a long time ago.
I doubt if they had Mascherano that time but that isnt the case.
Gerrard has played more as a CM than any other role for Pool.
Gerrard played more as a CM when the won the UCL grin grin grin

Gerrard won UEFA world footballer of the year in 2004/5 because Liverpool won the Champions League(Thatz no brainer).
David Beckham won it in 1999 when United won the Champions League also. Was Beckham the best United player in 1999??
I call all that the British hype. Had Ronaldo not scored 42 goals last season, Carrick or Hargreaves woulda won it.

and so? isnt this the same arguement people like Dayo throw at us when we show off CR7 as the best player n the world?
They feel Messi shoulda won it but CR7 nicked it cos he won the trophy.
so how can Gerrard case be different?

Gerrard is a wastepipe. . . . . . . . .His goal haul centres around penalties and freekicks.
How many does he score from open play?? I cannot believe you get carried away with Gerrard's foto-trick.
Why does he come short for England?? Did u see the game against Russia?? How Gerrard lost the midfield to amateurs??
Just like CR7. It doesnt take away from the fact that they were counted as goals.
If you score a penalty during a final and the opponent would not score, will they hold back the trophy from being presented to you?
spot and fre kicks are all part of the game and it takes a good baller to score them everytime

Gerrard won PFA award in 2005/6 on the back of his heroics against West Ham in the FA cup final.
Why didn't he win the other individual awards(FWA and FPY) if he was that good??
All the players who have won PFA award since 98 have gone on to win other domestic awards. . . . .
Like i have said, it's the British hype.
story telling. tell Fabregas and Arteta to perform stunts in the coming FA cup final so they can also win the award grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by DrKitaun(m): 7:09pm On Mar 26, 2009
@SHARON

WHAT U DONT KNOW IS BIGGER THAN U SON . . . tongue

Gerrard in World footie would always be rated far and above all those upstarts u put there !!!

if I could bone sentiments and leave out Cesc and u come up with Iniesta, Xavi and all those players that havent done a tenth of what Gerrard has done for his club, then u sure need see ur shrink . . .

let those players accumulate the individual accomplisments of Steve G before u come spurting opaks here . . .

when Gerrard is on the field, as a coach u would always be optimistic for positivity, and RESULTS ! cool

is Riquelme still playing footie ? grin grin

I REMEMBER TELLING U THAT PIRLO WOULD ALWAYS BE RATED BETTER THAN RIQUELME U DEY YARN DUST . . . .NOW IS RIQUELME EVEN REMEMBERED IN WORLD FOOTIE ? tongue grin

@TKB

God bless u jare . . .

if all other scumtwats would be like u this place will be a very organized place . . .devoid of some ignoramuses that just love to suck up unnecessarily . . . wink grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 7:19pm On Mar 26, 2009
tkb417:

how many goals has Fabregas scored against the other big teams?

I remember him scoring against 'Pool at Anfield last season and he scored against Man Utd at the Emirates.
What about Cesc's heroic antics at San Zero last season??

I doubt if they had Mascherano that time but that isnt the case.

That season, they had Alonso and Hamann in their midfield.

Gerrard has played more as a CM than any other role for Pool.

So u think. . . . . .They always play 4-5-1.
2 other Central midfielders form a base for Gerrard to go forward.
Gerrard is a useless player in a 4-4-2 formation.

Gerrard played more as a CM when the won the UCL grin grin grin

Lil wonder they lost 2 group games.
They were undeserved winners. . . . . .

and so? isnt this the same arguement people like Dayo throw at us when we show off CR7 as the best player n the world?
They feel Messi shoulda won it but CR7 nicked it cos he won the trophy.
so how can Gerrard case be different?

Only an idiot will raise such point in a debate.
Ronaldo outscored all the strikers in Europe last season.
He won 3 golden boots/shoe on his way to win the best player of the year. . . . .It will take another 50 years for anyone to achieve such feat.
Ronaldo was inarguably the best player last season by a country mile. Leo Messi missed 50% of the season so he doesn't qualify.

Just like CR7. It doesnt take away from the fact that they were counted as goals.
If you score a penalty during a final and the opponent would not score, will they hold back the trophy from being presented to you?
spot and fre kicks are all part of the game and it takes a good baller to score them everytime

CR7 was different. He scored all kinda goals last season.
Only 5 of his 31 league goals were penalties last season. Gerrard musta scored a dozen pens this season alone.

story telling. tell Fabregas and Arteta to perform stunts in the coming FA cup final so they can also win the award grin

Time will tell.

Dr Kitaun:

@SHARON

WHAT U DONT KNOW IS BIGGER THAN U SON . . . tongue

Gerrard in World footie would always be rated far and above all those upstarts u put there !!!
if I could bone sentiments and leave out Cesc and u come up with Iniesta, Xavi and all those players that havent done a tenth of what Gerrard has done for his club, then u sure need see ur shrink . . .

Iniesta and Xavi have won more than Gerrard.
They have proven themselves for club and country. Your Gerrard is yet to win his domestic title.
Iniesta n Xavi were part of the players that won UCL and La Liga for Barcelona(u can add EURO 2008) to their achievements.
Gerrard is rated far n above the Spaniards because of the British hype. Afterall, British media believes Walcott is better than Bojan.

let those players accumulate the individual accomplisments of Steve G before u come spurting opaks here . . .
u think say na yam to lift UECL twice ?

UECL twice?? Are u an idiot??
Are u saying Liverpool have won the Champions League twice??

when Gerrard is on the field, as a coach u would always be optimistic for positivity, and RESULTS ! cool
is Riquelme still playing footie ? grin grin

It shows your soccer knowledge is limited. . . . . .
Riquelme is back in his native land and still putting magnificent displays for club and country.

I REMEMBER TELLING U THAT PIRLO WOULD ALWAYS BE RATED BETTER THAN RIQUELME U DEY YARN DUST . . . .NOW IS RIQUELME EVEN REMEMBERED IN WORLD FOOTIE ? tongue grin

Riquelme is 1000 times better than Pirlo.
U need to go and see the last 2 COPA AMERICA tournaments and the last world cup.
Pirlo was a wastepipe for Italy in Euro 2008 and still a wastepipe for AC Milan.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Akolawole(m): 7:20pm On Mar 26, 2009
@ Dr and TKB

Is Steven better than Essien in the midfield?

Is he better than Drogba/Adebayor/Henry even Yakubu as a sub striker?

Dont get me wrong, he's a very good player but NOT Exceptional in the two positions.

Oloju kan loba awon afoji.

If he's in "invisible arsenal", chelsea or United (without englishness), could there be such noises about him?
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tkb417(m): 7:26pm On Mar 26, 2009
Essien is just like Gerrard but ill pick Gerrard for the 'extra'

Hes a motivator, the one they call captain fantastic!!!!!!
Essien is my kinda player too
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 7:29pm On Mar 26, 2009
Akolawole:

@ Dr and TKB
Is Steven better than Essien in the midfield?

May God Bless You. . . . . .Is Gerrard better than Essien??

Is he better than Drogba/Adebayor/Henry even Yakubu as a sub striker?

He is not better than Tim Cahill as a supporting striker.
Gerrard is overrated. . . . . . .The British media and the English referees love him to the core.
Stevie G will get 9 out of 10 decisions for Liverpool while Ronaldo or all other foreigners will get 1 out of 10.

Dont get me wrong, he's a very good player but NOT Exceptional in the two positions.

He is not better than Wayne Rooney as a supporting striker.

tkb417:

Essien is just like Gerrard but ill pick Gerrard for the 'extra'

Hes a motivator, the one they call captain fantastic!!!!!!
Essien is my kinda player too

What did he motivate when they were dumped out of FA cup by Everton??
Where was his motivation when Barnsley dumped em out at Anfield last season.
I cannot believe you are buying the gibberish the English media feed the public.

GERRARD's school of DIVING:

[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKXAKQY-0Y&hl=en&fs=1"[/flash]
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by DrKitaun(m): 7:46pm On Mar 26, 2009
I will choose Gerrard before even noticing Essien is a player . . .

this is more spiritual than physical U CANT UNDERSTAND IT IF U DONT ALREADY !!!

GERRARD IS A MYSTERY ! cool
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 7:55pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

I remember him scoring against 'Pool at Anfield last season and he scored against Man Utd at the Emirates.
What about Cesc's heroic antics at San Zero last season??

You realized Gerrard scored the first goal in that match, don't you? But then you forgot, conveniently.

"Cesc's Heroics at the San Zero?" Is that all he's got? I have a DVD of Gerrard's heroics at almost EVERY top stadium in Europe!!!! Want one? grin

And about that Gerrard dive clip, proffessional football has its ups and downs. Former top players like Schevchenko, Ronaldo, Maradona had the art of diving perfected to a T. Its like saying you've never told a fib.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 7:59pm On Mar 26, 2009
tocdee:

You realized Gerrard scored the first goal in that match, don't you? But then you forgot, conveniently.

Why did it take Gerrard 11 seasons to score a goal against Man Utd??
Ooooops, the goal was even a free shot from 12 yards.

"Cesc's Heroics at the San Zero?" Is that all he's got? I have a DVD of Gerrard's heroics at almost EVERY top stadium in Europe!!!! Want one? grin

Certainly not at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 8:08pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Why did it take Gerrard 11 seasons to score a goal against Man Utd??
Ooooops, the goal was even a free shot from 12 yards.

I thought we were talking about the Arsenal match. Anyway, he scored at Old Trafford, didn't he? I wonder if Ronaldo has ever scored at Anfield (or even played well). Doesn't make him a bad player though.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 8:10pm On Mar 26, 2009
tocdee:

I thought we were talking about the Arsenal match. Anyway, he scored at Old Trafford, didn't he? I wonder if Ronaldo has ever scored at Anfield (or even played well). Doesn't make him a bad player though.

Ronaldo scored a header against Liverpool last season.
Rooney scored in his debut season at Anfield same as Carlos Tevez.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by MrCrackles(m): 8:13pm On Mar 26, 2009
After so much huffing and puffing and yet again, more drivel

BERBATOV
is the most overrated player in the premiership

Sharon, true or false? cheesy
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 8:15pm On Mar 26, 2009
MrCrackles:

After so much huffing and puffing and yet again, more drivel

BERBATOV
is the most overrated player in the premiership

Sharon, true or false? cheesy

FALSE!!!
He made the PFA team in his debut season. . . . . .
The most overrated cunt in the Premiership is William Gallas. grin grin grin grin
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 8:18pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

Ronaldo scored a header against Liverpool last season.
Rooney scored in his debut season at Anfield same as Carlos Tevez.

You're funny, I clearly referred to Anfield, didn't I?

~Sauron~:

He is not better than Wayne Rooney as a supporting striker.

And this is based on what exactly? Goals scored, assists, red cards received?  Facts please.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 8:22pm On Mar 26, 2009
tocdee:

You're funny, I clearly referred to Anfield, didn't I?

He has been involved in too many games that had United playing 10 men against Scouser's 11.
In 2004/5(Brown was sent off)
In 2006/7(Scholes was sent off)
In 2008/9(he did not play)

And this is based on what exactly? Goals scored, assists, red cards received?  Facts please.

Ask Capello. . . . . .
Rooney's football brain is better than Gerrard as a supporting striker.
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by tocdee(m): 8:31pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

He has been involved in too many games that had United playing 10 men against Scouser's 11.
In 2004/5(Brown was sent off)
In 2006/7(Scholes was sent off)
In 2008/9(he did not play)

So he goes on a sympathy strike on behalf of sent-off team-mates. That's solidarity!

~Sauron~:

Ask Capello. . . . . .
Rooney's football brain is better than Gerrard as a supporting striker.

Wow!!!!!!!! Capello TOLD you that?
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by MrCrackles(m): 8:37pm On Mar 26, 2009
~Sauron~:

FALSE!!!
He made the PFA team in his debut season. . . . . .
The most overrated cunt in the Premiership is William Gallas. grin grin grin grin

More mashed potatoes and sausage from[b] Sharon[/b]!

When will you ever admit Manchester United is full of serial wankers led by a paedophile in spectacles
? cheesy
Re: Most Overated Player In The Premier League by Sauron1: 8:38pm On Mar 26, 2009
tocdee:

So he goes on a sympathy strike on behalf of sent-off team-mates. That's solidarity!

Stop being an oaf.
A team down to 10 men playing away from home in a hostile ground like Anfield are going to be defending with their lives.
Most times, Ronaldo gets sacrificed in em games to put an extra defender to protect United's lead.
THINK!!!!

Wow!!!!!!!! Capello TOLD you that?

Nah. . . . . . .Capello knows where to play Rooney and he knows where to fix Gerrard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Norwich City (5 - 0) On 26th July 2020 / Pep Guardiola Set To Step Down As Barcelona Manager / Who Has Been The Best Defender So Far In Premier League This 2009/10?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.