Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,008 members, 7,835,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:00 AM

N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole (29072 Views)

FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / No New Minimum Wage, No Industrial Peace In 2017, Labour Tells FG / We Must Cut N18,000 Minimum Wage Or Sack Workers — Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by tuffgongjo(m): 3:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
All talk;No action.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Brytawon(m): 3:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
shocked Oshimhole even you
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by FregeneB(m): 3:49pm On Jul 12, 2015
<marquee

behavior="alternate"><FONTSIZE=40><B>WHY</B></FONTSIZE)></MARQUEE>
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Bollinger(m): 3:52pm On Jul 12, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Read before commenting so you don't embarrass yourself like this next time.

Bro's....there is no need to read it. There is absolutely no viable reason why the minimum wage in a country like Nigeria is less than 100 dollars a month. My freaking phone bill is more than that. Until Nigeria realizes that it is beneficial to ensure that every citizen is empowered and paid their worth, the nation will never move forward. And why are all states always waiting for revenue from oil, gas etc? I'm telling you, once you leave Nigeria and see the way things are done you'all will be perpetually blind. what a fracking country. Keep voting for un enlightened politicians and illiterates. Nigerians deserve the leadership they have. Hunger and poverty has taken control of all faculties.

2 Likes

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by ogundokun: 3:53pm On Jul 12, 2015
ponleh:
why is it no more realistic, when the politicians get millions monthly, please slash ur salary and allowance if u care
na mumu you be

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
Probably Adams has started employing his wife's relatives in the public sector, those relatives wants an increase in salary!

Not a bad idea though!
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by LhoLar01: 3:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
Funny
richidinho:

...and Oshiomhole is guilty of the bolded for importing a wife grin
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by mekusboy4all(m): 3:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
PLS DOES ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN DOWNLOAD KOREAN SEASONS FOR AT LEAST 150MB PER EPISODE. PLEASE HELP
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by bigass123(m): 3:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
I like your spirit..
owolabifunke14:
Amen to the prayer thanks

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by permsec: 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
erisegun:
K for K1 grin
Or Kedike
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by GogetterMD(m): 3:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
Edipee:
Tell your Oga to appoint Ministers. There are too many things to be done.
Has your state governor appointed commissioners?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by uboma(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
phayvoursky:
ABEG RETURN YOUR WIFE, MAKE HER FAMILY RETURN OUR MONEY.

YOU NEVER FIT PAY #18,000 NA TO COME FEED FOREIGNER

hahaha.

He spared no expense during wedding to his 25 year old bride.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by labbyboi(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
Most Nairalanders only read the topic and comment right away. True or False?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Turbocharged: 4:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
crazygod:
Mr, with the little economics i know, inflation refers to excess circulation of money in the economy. What led the naira to the quagmire it has found itself is the continuos importation of goods and services against local production. Another index is the continous comparison of dollar to naira in relation to the cost of living in our economy.
When u continue to increase salaries also expect increase in demand and at the same time, increase in prices of goods and services as a result of increase in imports void of local products. resulting effect will be increase in the rate of inflation and continious fall in the value if naira.

The tuitions your parents paid for your education was not in vain, and you dont seem to be one of those blind political sycophants.

Keep it up bruv
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by benjaminiyke(m): 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
Honestly speaking the Governor is right. But on second thought when will NIGERIA learn? Look at CHINA,these guys can produce almost everything and they have overtaken AMERICA to become Africa's number one Business partner with respect to importation of GOODS and PRODUCTS from the CHINESE. Federal Govt should diversify our Economy,reduce importation of Goods from overseas and increase Exportation by building and resurrecting our own production companies which in turn will Create endless job opportunities and revenues.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Gurgle(f): 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
owolabifunke14:
Thanks

I like your humility, its good

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Ayanko(m): 4:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
That is CHANGEEEEEEEEEEE agent.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by needies(m): 4:03pm On Jul 12, 2015
Make which sense, he is no longer an activist. He is a state governor, how much is he paying in his state? Leaders should lead by example
MabraO:
He made sense sha

I was here
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2015
Oshiomole is sick...he refused to even pay the 18k minimum wage in edo state..he go go TV go dey lie dey jump up and down...make hin tenure end make he move. Biko
richidinho:
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday declared the current N18,000 minimum wage paid to Nigerian workers described as unrealistic in the wake of recent fall in the value of Nigerian currency, the Naira. Governor Oshiomhole, who noted that at N200 to one U.S. Dollar, Nigerian workers are merely earning $90 per month, at the current N18,000 minimum wage.

He condemned the poor salaries paid to the Nigerian workers even as he noted that the situation is worse at the level of public service. Governor Oshiomhole, who stated this while speaking with State House Correspondents shortly after meeting with President Muhamnadu Buhari, however did not say how much should be the ideal minimum wage.
“Let me be very clear, I believe the Nigerian worker is underpaid, particularly in the public sector. If you look at the wage trend now, you will find out that that a graduate earns Lever 8 Step 2 in the public service. If the same young man is to get a job in an oil company or some subsection of the public section, his pay will be much more.

“If a worker is confronted with endless rise in costs of living and his wages are stagnant, obviously whether you know it or not, he is already experiencing pressures on his living standard. If you look at the minimum wage when it was fixed, the exchange rate was about N140 to a dollar, so N18,000 is about $130 a month.

“ Now at N200 per dollar, N18,000 is about $90 and so you can see the only beneficiary in this kind of inflationary environment are those who have fixed assets like building. Because the more your Naira is devalued, the higher the nominal value of your assets,” he explained.

Speaking on the recent bailout to states, he lamented that the State was shortchanged by as much as N10billion in the last four years by the outgoing administration. He declared that the funds was sourced from the amount remitted by the Nigerian Liqueified Natural Gas, NLNG, but that the funds have never been remitted to the Federation Account.

“What was extraordinary is that the NLNG has over the years been remitting funds to the Federal Government. But the Federal Government illegally refused to transfer these fund to the consolidated revenue fund which belongs to the three tiers of government.

“All that President Buhari has done is in line with his commitments to ensuring that all funds and monies accruing to the Federation Account are so remitted, that he has directed the CBN to transfer the funds to the Consolidated Funds.

http://theunion.com.ng/news/n18000-minimum-wage-no-more-realistic-oshiomhole/

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by owolabifunke14(f): 4:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
Gurgle:

I like your humility, its good
I'm glad you did dear!
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by mekusboy4all(m): 4:06pm On Jul 12, 2015
PLS DOES ANYONE KNOW WERE I CAN DOWNLOAD KOREAN SEASONS FOR AT LEAST 150MB PER EPISODE. PLEASE HELP oo
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Amazo: 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2015
richidinho:
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday declared the current N18,000 minimum wage paid to Nigerian workers described as unrealistic in the wake of recent fall in the value of Nigerian currency, the Naira. Governor Oshiomhole, who noted that at N200 to one U.S. Dollar, Nigerian workers are merely earning $90 per month, at the current N18,000 minimum wage.

He condemned the poor salaries paid to the Nigerian workers even as he noted that the situation is worse at the level of public service. Governor Oshiomhole, who stated this while speaking with State House Correspondents shortly after meeting with President Muhamnadu Buhari, however did not say how much should be the ideal minimum wage.
“Let me be very clear, I believe the Nigerian worker is underpaid, particularly in the public sector. If you look at the wage trend now, you will find out that that a graduate earns Lever 8 Step 2 in the public service. If the same young man is to get a job in an oil company or some subsection of the public section, his pay will be much more.

“If a worker is confronted with endless rise in costs of living and his wages are stagnant, obviously whether you know it or not, he is already experiencing pressures on his living standard. If you look at the minimum wage when it was fixed, the exchange rate was about N140 to a dollar, so N18,000 is about $130 a month.

“ Now at N200 per dollar, N18,000 is about $90 and so you can see the only beneficiary in this kind of inflationary environment are those who have fixed assets like building. Because the more your Naira is devalued, the higher the nominal value of your assets,” he explained.

Speaking on the recent bailout to states, he lamented that the State was shortchanged by as much as N10billion in the last four years by the outgoing administration. He declared that the funds was sourced from the amount remitted by the Nigerian Liqueified Natural Gas, NLNG, but that the funds have never been remitted to the Federation Account.

“What was extraordinary is that the NLNG has over the years been remitting funds to the Federal Government. But the Federal Government illegally refused to transfer these fund to the consolidated revenue fund which belongs to the three tiers of government.

“All that President Buhari has done is in line with his commitments to ensuring that all funds and monies accruing to the Federation Account are so remitted, that he has directed the CBN to transfer the funds to the Consolidated Funds.

http://theunion.com.ng/news/n18000-minimum-wage-no-more-realistic-oshiomhole/

Is Oshiomole beginning to make a habit of uttering nonsensical statements, like the infamous reprehensible go-and-die speech We patriotic Nigerians are not fools. This suggestion of minimum wage increment will only create more problems because it is inconsistent with the economic reality of the country. Rather Oshiomole should tell us when the astronomical emoluments of himself and other politicians in the country will be reduced to what is justifiable! angry

2 Likes

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by samintegrity(m): 4:08pm On Jul 12, 2015
crazygod:
Mr, with the little economics i know, inflation refers to excess circulation of money in the economy. What led the naira to the quagmire it has found itself is the continuos importation of goods and services against local production. Another index is the continous comparison of dollar to naira in relation to the cost of living in our economy.

When u continue to increase salaries also expect increase in demand and at the same time, increase in prices of goods and services as a result of increase in imports void of local products. resulting effect will be increase in the rate of inflation and continious fall in the value if naira.

Sorry mr, thou i understand what you meant, buh sincerely you are right thou, we have to create an enabling environment for our local product to strive.. buh i beg to differ, are u now sayin our workers should be put on the same 18k per month?? I think our workers deceive better, #30,000 minimum wage won't be a bad idea at all. At least if the government can't afford the primary school meal, or the #5,000 to aged people pls add about 10-12k to our workers, by so doing they will either directly or indirectly affect positively the life of their respective families, the children can then be well feed which there won't be a need for government to feed them, their aged parents at ohm too will definitely be affected positively, at least something will equally be sent ohm to these people, #30,000 is not too much..if this people are well paid it definitely wil affect productivity, and i understand price of goods may increase buh it won't increase more than what people can all afford, infact now many can't even afford to buy gari cos of the current situation in the country, May God heal our land.

I cant just imagine someone earns 90$ at the end of 30days that's slavery.

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by merry02(m): 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
The acclaim bail out fund nko?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by aspirebig: 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
Has it ever been realistic before?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by 1960chic(f): 4:10pm On Jul 12, 2015
This man has been talking too much nowadays or wasn't he with the Jonathan administration?

Yes, you made a point but pay the "mere" 18000 first.

When their tenure is rounding up, they begin to claim victimizations

2 Likes

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by DoubleDee4U(m): 4:13pm On Jul 12, 2015
ponleh:
why is it no more realistic, when the politicians get millions monthly, please slash ur salary and allowance if u care
Is this your level of reasoning? This is so dumb and shameful.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by markidoo(m): 4:15pm On Jul 12, 2015
Lol
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by banAddict: 4:19pm On Jul 12, 2015

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by blackpanda: 4:21pm On Jul 12, 2015
crazygod:

Complete trash
How do u expect a human being to live on 18k Be reasonable
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by samintegrity(m): 4:22pm On Jul 12, 2015
blackpanda:

Complete trash
How do u expect a human being to live on 18k Be reasonable

I thought as much bro. 90$ bro at the end of 30days ahhhhhhhhhhhh is slavery.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Standing5(m): 4:24pm On Jul 12, 2015
CUM4WHAT:
NONSENSE
He made lots of sense. When the 18k was set it translated to more than 110 usd as against the current 90 usd

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

June 12: ‘don’t Declare MKO Abiola President’ – Bode George Warns Buhari / No Healing Without Justice — Gbadebo Rhodes-Vivour Replies Tinubu / Usman Ododo Says He Is A Married Woman (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.