Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole (29068 Views)

FG Okays 29-member Panel On N56,000 Minimum Wage Demand / No New Minimum Wage, No Industrial Peace In 2017, Labour Tells FG / We Must Cut N18,000 Minimum Wage Or Sack Workers — Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by luthorcorp: 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
well spoken gov but i don't think inflation has anything to do with this in fact that's an area i really gave gej an applaude,he was able to use inflationary means to boost the economy power........but later left it uncontroled
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by nwadiuko1(m): 4:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
Make dem make am 50k

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by nigerianvenom(m): 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2015
Demdem2:
“What was extraordinary is that the NLNG has over the years been remitting funds to the Federal Government. But the Federal Government illegally refused to transfer these fund to the consolidated revenue fund which belongs to the three tiers of government.
“All that President Buhari has done is in line with his commitments to ensuring that all funds and monies accruing to the Federation Account are so remitted, that he has directed the CBN to transfer the funds to the Consolidated Funds.

Above caught my attention. Indeed Jonah-daft was a curse.
. Same way ur basstardd fadaa was a curse to his family

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Amazo: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2015
So many people on this thread are talking crap either because of abject ignorance or repugnant stupidity. Increase the minimum wage to what exactly...and will the money come from thin air When virtually all our successive governments already have recurrent expenditure alone that swallows up about 90% of the budget annually, then just how in the world will there be development, when there's practically 'nothing' left to make any significant impact on the nation's infrastructures and other sectors vital for development. Lost count of how many abandoned projects scattered across the country due to lack of funds, and it's now gotten so bad to the extent that the government is now borrowing hugely to keep itself running. And then here you are advocating more increment in government workers wages as if that will not further inflate the already over-bloated government recurrent expenditure. Sometimes, I just wonder is it some people just don't utilize their brains properly. You can't solve problems by creating more problems. With considerable pockets of exceptions here and there, I fear for this generation of Nigerians: all swag but no brains.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jul 12, 2015
Oshiomole only knows how to talk. He preaches what he doesn't practice
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by crazygod(m): 4:41pm On Jul 12, 2015
blackpanda:

Complete trash
How do u expect a human being to live on 18k Be reasonable

Pls tell me where the govt will get the money to increase wages? I can give u an option. Increment of taxes. When taxes are increased, it will also affect prices of other products cos its the consumer that will bear the burden. Eventually bro, wat u have is a cycle. There will be increase in inflation. I can simply call this RAT RACE effect.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by jokpulor: 4:42pm On Jul 12, 2015
Was there an increase in the minimum wage during the oil boom? This is wicked
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by TelrocAgro(m): 4:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
What kind of unacceptable environment are we living now?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by anwe: 4:58pm On Jul 12, 2015
As a past labour president why is Osobaba not taking the lead to pay Edo workers living wages ?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Ama80(f): 5:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
stinggy:

Did he say anything anti-people?

Why do you guys rush to comment before reading?
bro no vex today Na Sunday nau.can't read all ds aftr d long servc at church so I have to comment base on Hs recent activities n speeches.but can u summarize wat he was saying so I can comment appropriately grin
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by slydey(m): 5:02pm On Jul 12, 2015
Edipee:
Tell your Oga to appoint Ministers. There are too many things to be done.

And who says they are not working in the ministries. Ministers are just there to syphon monies ment for the masses.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Ama80(f): 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
phayvoursky:
ABEG RETURN YOUR WIFE, MAKE HER FAMILY RETURN OUR MONEY.

YOU NEVER FIT PAY #18,000 NA TO COME FEED FOREIGNER
guy so u no read d post come dey comment na so i quote u.Op dey vex oo,abeg go read am make i re-quote u. shocked
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by JurassicPark: 5:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
Just like Oshiomhole,

Sometimes, even foolish people can talk a lil sense. the issue is who among those in the corridors of influence can actually live as sensibly as some of the comments they make?
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by AikayDaWrapper(m): 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2015
phayvoursky:
ABEG RETURN YOUR WIFE, MAKE HER FAMILY RETURN OUR MONEY.

YOU NEVER FIT PAY #18,000 NA TO COME FEED FOREIGNER
SHUT UP.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Demdem2: 5:16pm On Jul 12, 2015
tolexy007:

mumuu, how did u know dat what d man Was saying is correct? did u c acc urself.

Oponu, did u ever heard of NLNG profit going into the consolidated account to be shared by all states ever since pdp started ruling us?
Barely a month when they Av been booted out, we all are hearing of such things.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Demdem2: 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2015
[s]
nigerianvenom:

. Same way ur basstardd fadaa was a curse to his family
[/s]

Goon, what's my business with the cursed state of ur entire lineage? Face topic joor.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by stinggy(m): 5:23pm On Jul 12, 2015
Ama80:
bro no vex today Na Sunday nau.can't read all ds aftr d long servc at church so I have to comment base on Hs recent activities n speeches.but can u summarize wat he was saying so I can comment appropriately grin

Lol. Funny you smiley
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by NoMoreTrolling: 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
Amazo:
So many people on this thread are talking crap either because of abject ignorance or repugnant stupidity. Increase the minimum wage to what exactly...and will the money come from thin air When virtually all our successive governments already have recurrent expenditure alone that swallows up about 90% of the budget annually, then just how in the world will there be development, when there's practically 'nothing' left to make any significant impact on the nation's infrastructures and other sectors vital for development. Lost count of how many abandoned projects scattered across the country due to lack of funds, and it's now gotten so bad to the extent that the government is now borrowing hugely to keep itself running. And then here you are advocating more increment in government workers wages as if that will not further inflate the already over-bloated government recurrent expenditure. Sometimes, I just wonder is it some people just don't utilize their brains properly. You can't solve problems by creating more problems. With considerable pockets of exceptions here and there, I fear for this generation of Nigerians: all swag but no brains.

Why don't they, the people in government, slash their pay then

Seriously, I heard senators earn as much as Obama, if that is true, what do you have to say about it

How come the government can also disproportionately tax and fine citizens, but can't guarantee a greater wage Let me give you an example here. Say I get a traffic ticket in Lagos, officially, I'd be required to pay about NGN30,000 to Lagos Government. That is over 100% of a minimum wage earners salary shocked shocked Just doesn't add up undecided

Also, why does the government need a very high workforce anyways I'm all for slim, trim government that actually generates income for itself efficiently and thus is able to pay workers based on the income each worker would have generated, which should not be less than X 10 per individual worker. Another example here, imagine the LASMA operatives in Victoria Island are given a mandate to bring in "n" number of offenders every week. So you properly equip them (invest in them, which should pay off), give them cars, cameras in cars (for proof of offence), walkie talkies... and have them fulfill their set target or get fired, demoted, or suspended. That way, each official is in fact generating revenue to the government, thus paying his own salary efficiently.

The government just needs to provided infrastructure for the private sector to flourish, as that should be the major employer of labor.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Ama80(f): 5:26pm On Jul 12, 2015
stinggy:

Lol. Funny you smiley
happy Sunday
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by phayvoursky(m): 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
AikayDaWrapper:
SHUT UP.
YOUR FADA
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Sirjohn84(m): 5:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
bigerboy200:

Read an article b4 u place comments...haba...tired of Nigerians sha...
LoL AFTER COMMENTING I READ D STORY*TYPICAL OF NIGERIANS INCLUDING U SELF BIGERBOY

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Princevally(m): 5:38pm On Jul 12, 2015
I hate insult upon injury. undecidedI hate insult upon injury.

They are talking as if they don't know the living standard of a common Nigerian while they feed wit still our sweat.

.....there is God
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by stinggy(m): 5:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
Ama80:
happy Sunday
Same here. Have you read the news over now? cheesy
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by NovusHomo(m): 5:52pm On Jul 12, 2015
sim37:
I came, I read and I left

so coool

Bye. grin
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by NovusHomo(m): 5:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
Demdem2:
“What was extraordinary is that the NLNG has over the years been remitting funds to the Federal Government. But the Federal Government illegally refused to transfer these fund to the consolidated revenue fund which belongs to the three tiers of government.
“All that President Buhari has done is in line with his commitments to ensuring that all funds and monies accruing to the Federation Account are so remitted, that he has directed the CBN to transfer the funds to the Consolidated Funds.

Above caught my attention. Indeed Jonah-daft was a curse.

Don't disrespect GEJ. He was a pestilence, a plague that set Nigeria back at least one generation

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by ahamonyeka(m): 6:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
This is one the issues you need to table at the NEC meeting I'd really you think the 18000 naira minimum wage is too poor.

Osho baba I believe and I want you to do the needful.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by bigerboy200: 6:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
Sirjohn84:

LoL AFTER COMMENTING I READ D STORY*TYPICAL OF NIGERIANS INCLUDING U SELF BIGERBOY
Lol...nice one..happy sunday

1 Like

Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by fortune1968: 6:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
ponleh:
why is it no more realistic, when the politicians get millions monthly, please slash ur salary and allowance if u care
you may need to read this post again .im sure dt u dont understand what the governor is saying .
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Franchise21(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2015
ponleh:
why is it no more realistic, when the politicians get millions monthly, please slash ur salary and allowance if u care
The topic n post are somewhat confusing. Bt try n read before commenting. Thank you
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by Edipee(m): 6:42pm On Jul 12, 2015
GogetterMD:

Has your state governor appointed commissioners?
have you ever heard of the name, Udom Emmanuel or Akwa Ibom State.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by butanep(m): 7:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
From your little economics, what is now the solution?
crazygod:
Mr, with the little economics i know, inflation refers to excess circulation of money in the economy. What led the naira to the quagmire it has found itself is the continuos importation of goods and services against local production. Another index is the continous comparison of dollar to naira in relation to the cost of living in our economy.
When u continue to increase salaries also expect increase in demand and at the same time, increase in prices of goods and services as a result of increase in imports void of local products. resulting effect will be increase in the rate of inflation and continious fall in the value if naira.
Re: N18,000 Minimum Wage No More Realistic –oshiomhole by limamintruth: 8:09pm On Jul 12, 2015
richidinho:
Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State yesterday declared the current N18,000 minimum wage paid to Nigerian workers described as unrealistic in the wake of recent fall in the value of Nigerian currency, the Naira. Governor Oshiomhole, who noted that at N200 to one U.S. Dollar, Nigerian workers are merely earning $90 per month, at the current N18,000 minimum wage.

He condemned the poor salaries paid to the Nigerian workers even as he noted that the situation is worse at the level of public service. Governor Oshiomhole, who stated this while speaking with State House Correspondents shortly after meeting with President Muhamnadu Buhari, however did not say how much should be the ideal minimum wage.
“Let me be very clear, I believe the Nigerian worker is underpaid, particularly in the public sector. If you look at the wage trend now, you will find out that that a graduate earns Lever 8 Step 2 in the public service. If the same young man is to get a job in an oil company or some subsection of the public section, his pay will be much more.

“If a worker is confronted with endless rise in costs of living and his wages are stagnant, obviously whether you know it or not, he is already experiencing pressures on his living standard. If you look at the minimum wage when it was fixed, the exchange rate was about N140 to a dollar, so N18,000 is about $130 a month.

“ Now at N200 per dollar, N18,000 is about $90 and so you can see the only beneficiary in this kind of inflationary environment are those who have fixed assets like building. Because the more your Naira is devalued, the higher the nominal value of your assets,” he explained.

Speaking on the recent bailout to states, he lamented that the State was shortchanged by as much as N10billion in the last four years by the outgoing administration. He declared that the funds was sourced from the amount remitted by the Nigerian Liqueified Natural Gas, NLNG, but that the funds have never been remitted to the Federation Account.

http://theunion.com.ng/news/n18000-minimum-wage-no-more-realistic-oshiomhole/

So true.
But hope he'l practise what he preaches by increasing his state workers' salaries ooo..
Cos most of these polithiefcians are just too much talk & no action.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Returns To Nigeria From London (Video) / FG Slams N50bn Fine On Anambra For Defacing Land In Awka / Reuben Abati Asks Kwankwaso If He Is Igbo & If His Name Is Okonkwo (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.