Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) (51282 Views)

Onitsha Mall Indemnity Notice: Look At What I Saw At Shoprite Onitsha (pics) / Children Playing At The Premises Of Onitsha Mall / Pictures Of Onitsha Main Market: The Biggest Market In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
Alexander001:
you hardly see untarred in nnewi
In Anambra, their villages have good tarred roads than their cities.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 14, 2015
EggovinMma:

Girlie, I dey use my mama bitterleaf soup make mouth anyday!
I have tasted and tried but I am yet to taste my mother's match.
Even my dad no dey TTIRE.NA EVERYDAY E DEY CHOP ONUGBU SOUP.I wash onugbu tire soteee, I dey dodge comot from house to escape the work grin grin grin grin

Then before we moved to our own house, if my mama dey cook onugbu soup, as I dey enter street from school mi go dey perceive am na.Even residents will be calling me to tell my mom that they are coming with plate to take soup.And some will come.

There was this occasion in the village that my cousin's in laws came, my mom cooked the bitter leaf soup for them.Oh boy! Them confess na!

you need to come and taste mine

no jokes kiss
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by coolitempa(f): 12:58pm On Jul 14, 2015
Eshinwaju:

Yea......the Benin empire to which onicha belonged was......thriving...... grin

so true....very well said.....even Zik said the same.... cheesy...onicha remains part of the old benin empire until today... angry
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by ak47mann(m): 1:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
softysparky:

You have not tasted my mum's ofe onugbu yet grin
i love ofe onugwu follow by ofe ora egusi and ofe utazi cool
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by uduokirika1(m): 1:02pm On Jul 14, 2015
I just dey read
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by LEAFLET(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2015
Alexander001:
he doesn't live in nnewi anymore. he is in imo state now. don't have the strength to explain what happened now.
. That man is from my village can you tell me what happened why he was left Nnewi??
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Tex42(m): 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
cecegorz:
Onicha Ado mma mma nu oo!
Anambra kachaa nu ooo!
I have a nostalgic feeling of Osha, as I had my secondary school in the best school the state had then.

One just got to be so proud of Onitsha. It's good to see how all the Governors from Ngige, Obi, and Obiano has worked effectively to clean up the once neglected river side city. All the streets look relatively clean now, unlike the shambolic days of Mbadinuju's travesty of governance.
I'll really like to visit once again.

One other crucial project that will take Onitsha to the next level is to create a very cosy Marina town, that will run along the river banks. A master plan that will deliver high rise buildings (ten floors minimum) to act as the real Central Business District. This will house corporate offices of those importers, manufacturers, transporters, etc...
The streets will be well lined with trees and shrubs, no road side mechanic or shanty shops of any kind will be entertained, sports clubs, hotels, malls, game parks, event centres, cinemas and the like should come on stream. Provide 24/7 security with all night lighting for the streets to encourage night life.
It will also draw in multinational companies and all things corporate.

you have initiatives bro, good idea.

Like that!

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 14, 2015
ak47mann:
hahaha am not from alor am from nnewi alor might be very good with bitter leave soup but we are highest when it comes with ofe akwu most nnewi land and surrounding towns eat ofe akwu with white rice my specialty grin cool

Really, ofe akwu is where I have the "pass" mark.
It can be really sweet when it is well cooked and garnished with stock and dried fish. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
EggovinMma:

Girlie, I dey use my mama bitterleaf soup make mouth anyday!
I have tasted and tried but I am yet to taste my mother's match.
Even my dad no dey TTIRE.NA EVERYDAY E DEY CHOP ONUGBU SOUP.I wash onugbu tire soteee, I dey dodge comot from house to escape the work grin grin grin grin

Then before we moved to our own house, if my mama dey cook onugbu soup, as I dey enter street from school mi go dey perceive am na.Even residents will be calling me to tell my mom that they are coming with plate to take soup.And some will come.

There was this occasion in the village that my cousin's in laws came, my mom cooked the bitter leaf soup for them.Oh boy! Them confess na!
Lol...nne I no blame you joor! Who go say her mama soup no be the best.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:05pm On Jul 14, 2015
ak47mann:

Which one is ofe utazi oooo
is it N's ala soup?
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jul 14, 2015
softysparky:

Lol...nne I no blame you joor! Who go say her mama soup no be the best.

Abi ooooooo.
For other soups, I don see the one way sweet pass my mama own, but for onugbu, I still dey search, I never see. cheesy
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
sinestro24:

you need to come and taste mine

no jokes kiss

Lol.
I bet it tastes bitter tongue cheesy
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
EggovinMma:

Lol.
I bet it tastes bitter tongue cheesy

thats why its called BITTER LEAF duhhhhhh

grin grin grin grin grin

lololol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 14, 2015
sinestro24:

thats why its called BITTER LEAF duhhhhhh

grin grin grin grin grin

lololol

Well, I guess so cheesy
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by pazienza(m): 1:17pm On Jul 14, 2015
revolt:
i think youre the one tht needs to
study your history. onitsha wasnt always an igbo enclave. even the obi of onitsha pays homage to the oba of benin. atleast used to.

Onitsha was always an Igbo enclave, even before the migration of Umuezechima clan from Bini.

And mind you, the Umuezechima themselves are not Bini, but Igbos that resided in Bini and headed home to the East when things went awry for them in Bini.

Obi of Onitsha pay homage to Oba of Bini? When and how?

I don't know the version of history you read, but mine is certainly different from yours.

8 Likes

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 1:18pm On Jul 14, 2015
revolt:
i think youre the one tht needs to
study your history. onitsha wasnt always an igbo enclave. even the obi of onitsha pays homage to the oba of benin. atleast used to.

Obi of Onicha pays homage to who??
You smoke garri

7 Likes

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by chigoizie7(m): 1:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
missKiffy:

Bt I lived in Abia, most of the houses don't have borehole

Abia is not onitsha.

For my area, we de change transformer every year, reason I that almost every compound has its bore hole, and it consumes enuf electricity,

The only place u will tell me that lacks borehole is @ ifite awka,(but they have wells in every house that pumps water to d tank) still they don't lack water.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by investnow2013: 1:27pm On Jul 14, 2015
Alexander001:
aguleri. governor's home town.
Umuleri!
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by revolt(m): 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2015
pazienza:

Onitsha was always an Igbo enclave, even before the migration of Umuezechima clan from Bini.

And mind you, the Umuezechima themselves are not Bini, but Igbos that resided in Bini and headed home to the East when things went awry for them in Bini.

Obi of Onitsha pay homage to Oba of Bini? When and how?

I don't know the version of history you read, but mine is certainly different from yours.
so before umuezechima got there, the igalas and few benins were there,..ill go dig up some facts.
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jul 14, 2015
ak47mann:
Oha, nsala and ofeakwu cheesy
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by chigoizie7(m): 1:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
cecegorz:
Onicha Ado mma mma nu oo!
Anambra kachaa nu ooo!
I have a nostalgic feeling of Osha, as I had my secondary school in the best school the state had then.

One just got to be so proud of Onitsha. It's good to see how all the Governors from Ngige, Obi, and Obiano has worked effectively to clean up the once neglected river side city. All the streets look relatively clean now, unlike the shambolic days of Mbadinuju's travesty of governance.
I'll really like to visit once again.

One other crucial project that will take Onitsha to the next level is to create a very cosy Marina town, that will run along the river banks. A master plan that will deliver high rise buildings (ten floors minimum) to act as the real Central Business District. This will house corporate offices of those importers, manufacturers, transporters, etc...
The streets will be well lined with trees and shrubs, no road side mechanic or shanty shops of any kind will be entertained, sports clubs, hotels, malls, game parks, event centres, cinemas and the like should come on stream. Provide 24/7 security with all night lighting for the streets to encourage night life.
It will also draw in multinational companies and all things corporate.

Trust anambra people, just give them a seaport and an accessible road, then, forget about the rest, I know were I come from, them go even d compete on whose house will be the tallest and finest ,

That is why obiano has capitalized on building more roads and other basic infrastructure because he knows that's what the people of anambra needs to develop the area,

In anambra today, anywhere u see a newly tarred road, just have it in mind that all the lands around that place has been purchased. and structures springing up Asap, them no de waste time, time is money, the faster the project, the earlier u start making returns on ur investment, that's Anambra for u.

8 Likes

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by revolt(m): 1:40pm On Jul 14, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

You smoke garri
oga i knw pride wont let you agree, but incase u hvnt realised his tradituonal regalia and various ceremonies are borrowed from the benin monarchy.

theres a lot of benin influence in the onitsha monarchy
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by rabzy: 1:56pm On Jul 14, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

You smoke garri

There was an old man in my mom's village in ishan called Aroli...dont know if its a name or nickname but the guy can sing. While sleeping on a mud bed in my grandma's quarters. You can hear Aroli singing into the night.....your name just brought memories.
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:01pm On Jul 14, 2015
revolt:
oga i knw pride wont let you agree, but incase u hvnt realised his tradituonal regalia and various ceremonies are borrowed from the benin monarchy.

theres a lot of benin influence in the onitsha monarchy

You are so dumb,it hurts.....lmao
You are pathetically ignorant of Onicha history and traditions....And now you wanna talk about regalia...I bet you have never seen the Obi Achebe in his ofala regalia.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by chigoizie7(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
revolt:
so before umuezechima got there, the igalas and few benins were there,..ill go dig up some facts.

Some part of the umezechima, settled in obosi kingdom near onitsha,

Reasons,? After their return, they had to start from scratch, so, one man from "ezechima" became an apprentice to an obosi merchant, after his stay, he was settled ,but b4 he left, he brought some of his people to obosi, because the mater was too good to him, the master being a great farmer who sells his farm product had to allocate some piece of land to the "ezechima" dat came to obosi, but they stabilized there and formed their own clan called "umuezee" in obosi kingdom, some still go by d name "umuezechima".

Another man also from Awka came to obosi aswell,(obosi people are great farmers and hunters, awka people are well known for blacksmith,he came to obosi and lived with a man, he began making farm wares and hunting tools for the man until he went commercial with his skill, he started doing well,he fell in love with the masters daughter and married her, he eventually decides to go back to awka with his wife and kids, but along the way, he turned back and said that he cannot just leave obosi, for its people were good to him, he stayed back and formed his own clan called "umunnakwa"(nnakwa means, no longer leaving) this very clan in "obosi" perfoms all traditional rites of awka people uptil date. they attend all social gathering with their EJU (eju, people from awka and environ knows what it means) to show people who they really are.
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by ak47mann(m): 2:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
softysparky:

Oha, nsala and ofeakwu cheesy
Yes is my main soup i love it cool

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
rabzy:

There was an old man in my mom's village in ishan called Aroli...dont know if its a name or nickname but the guy can sing. While sleeping on a mud bed in my grandma's quarters. You can hear Aroli singing into the night.....your name just brought memories.

Probably one of those ancient name that cut across ethnic groups....Onicha has Aroli,Umuoji does and I am sure there are more. Funny,i love music and traditional ones to be precise.
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:12pm On Jul 14, 2015
EggovinMma:

It can be really sweet when it is well cooked and garnished with stock and dried fish. cheesy

Onugbu is an Idenmili cousine.
Nsala is Asaba,Onicha,Ogbaru and Aguleri.

3 Likes

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by ak47mann(m): 2:15pm On Jul 14, 2015
EggovinMma:

you are absolutely right i can eat that all day add roast goat meat inside cool

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by meccuno: 2:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
Very interesting thread......apart from some lunati.cs who tried to derail the thread,learnt some thiÑgs......but I really want more information on the airport......
Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by chigoizie7(m): 2:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
OdenigboAroli:

You are so dumb,it hurts.....lmao
You are pathetically ignorant of Onicha history and traditions....And now you wanna talk about regalia...I bet you have never seen the Obi Achebe in his ofala regalia.

Lolz, bros, I am not so sure, but he might be right ooh.

Ever asked yourself why the palace of the OBI of onitsha is in one place, just like the govt house or Aso rock?( Were any person that becames the OBI automatically moves there as their palace unlike what is obtained from all the neighboring communities around onitsha? ) In other parts of the igbo land, once u re the king(igwe) ur house automatically becomes the palace provided that the kingship is rotational, except in the case of the community were the kingship is by inheritance which means that the palace has to be in one place. Only onitsha does this very act of one palace almost all tru igbo land. Which is synonymous with that of benin tradition.

In another place were I might disagree with him, is the case of the "royal regalia" It is not in anyway the same with that of benin, even d culture are different, but onitsha are the most cultural and most traditional set of people in igbo land,this is also synonymous with benin people.

In onitsha, kingship rotates, u get kings from different families, I also think this is not the case with benin people.

In conclusion, there are similarities, there are contrasting ones, but that is the love of culture, in every culture, there must always be similarities. North,west,east and south, there has always been similarities, and that is called, "cultural diversity".

He might be right, he might as well be wrong, vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Onitsha trading port During The Colonial Days(photo) by modhream: 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
chigoizie7:

Lolz, bros, I am not so sure, but he might be right ooh.

Ever asked yourself why the palace of the OBI of onitsha is in one place, just like the govt house or Aso rock?( Were any person that becames the OBI automatically moves there as their palace unlike what is obtained from all the neighboring communities around onitsha? ) In other parts of the igbo land, once u re the king(igwe) ur house automatically becomes the palace provided that the kingship is rotational, except in the case of the community were the kingship is by inheritance which means that the palace has to be in one place. Only onitsha does this very act of one palace almost all tru igbo land. Which is synonymous with that of benin tradition.

In another place were I might disagree with him, is the case of the "royal regalia" It is not in anyway the same with that of benin, even d culture are different, but onitsha are the most cultural and most traditional set of people in igbo land,this is also synonymous with benin people.

In onitsha, kingship rotates, u get kings from different families, I also think this is not the case with benin people.

In conclusion, there are similarities, there are contrasting ones, but that is the love of culture, in every culture, there must always be similarities. North,west,east and south, there has always been similarities, and that is called, "cultural diversity".

He might be right, he might as well be wrong, vice versa.
The palaces of the Igwe Nnewi,Obi Uruagu,Umudim and Nnewichi,all in Nnewi,are non movable no matter who sits on the throne in the various communities,obi adi mbugha na Nnewi.Your assertion is false.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Aurthur Eze Dances To His Favourite Song At His Mansion. Photos/vide / Five Things You Didn’t Know About Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies / Business Name Registration In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.