Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. (3055 Views)

The Soldier Who Has Seen His Family Only 12times In 6yrs Cos Of Boko Haram / Niger-Delta Militants' Plot To Arm-Twist Buhari Fails - Vanguard / PR Expert Faults Buhari’s Refusal To Shake Hand With Female Ministers - Vanguard (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by midolian(m): 6:18pm On Jul 22, 2015
Washington (AFP) - Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari warned Washington on Wednesday that a US refusal to arm his troops because of "so-called human rights violations" only helps Boko Haram.

The 72-year-old former general has been warmly received in the US capital on his first visit since his March election raised hopes of reform in Africa's troubled giant.

But he departs with little practical military assistance in his battle against the Islamist militants who have turned the northeast of his country into a bloody war zone.

The US government has vowed to help Nigeria defeat the insurgency but it is prohibited under law from sending weapons to countries that fail to tackle human rights abuses.

"Regretably, the blanket application of the Leahy Law by the United States on the grounds of unproven allegations of human rights violations levelled against our forces has denied us access to appropriate strategic weapons to prosecute the war," he said.

Addressing an audience of policy-makers, activists and academics in Washington, Buhari complained that Nigerian forces had been left "largely impotent" in the face of Boko Haram's campaign of kidnapping and bombings.

"They do not possess the appropriate weapons and technology which we could have had if the so-called human rights violations had not been an obstacle," he said.

"Unwittingly, and I dare say unintentionally, the application of the Leahy Law Amendment by the United States government has aided and abetted the Boko Haram terrorists."

He appealed to both the White House and the US Congress to find a way around the law -- introduced by Senator Patrick Leahy in 1997 -- and to supply his troops with high-tech weapons under a deal "with minimal strings."

Buhari, who ruled Nigeria as a military strongman between 1983 and 1985, returned to office in March as the country's first opposition challenger to defeat an incumbent in a largely fair poll.

His victory triggered a wave of optimism for oil-rich Nigeria, which has Africa's biggest population and economy but many deep and seemingly intractable problems.

Since 2009, Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist breakaway state in a conflict that has seen 15,000 people killed and 1.5 million displaced.

The group's brutality and in particular the mass kidnapping and enslavement of schoolgirls has shocked world opinion, but Nigeria's own security forces also face criticism.

In June, rights watchdog Amnesty International said there is sufficient evidence to launch an investigation into senior Nigerian officers for war crimes.

In a detailed 133-page report, the group blamed the army for the extrajudicial execution of 1,200 people and the torture or arbitrary detention of thousands more.

Buhari insists that the charges are not proven, but he has replaced his senior military commanders and has promised to investigate the allegations.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/28993516/
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by natas22: 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2015
But they went to war in Iraq even when Iraq abuses human right. Its clear they want us to support gay marriage before they help and am saying it to them they should shovel there help in there asss. They forgot this days there are other world powers that are ready to help people like China Russia can help us with arms.

Nigerian and sai buhari is on point screw any gay freak
www.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jul 22, 2015
K
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
K
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Miner13: 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2015
I do not understand
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by INTROVERT(f): 6:22pm On Jul 22, 2015
When he can always buy from China Russia and DPK
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Heroesworths(m): 6:27pm On Jul 22, 2015
I just have to like and believe this man... With much support he could turn this ship around
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by midolian(m): 6:28pm On Jul 22, 2015
Upon all the billions of dollars spent on defence during GEJ's regime, we still don't have the appropriate weapons. Yea, its true that many countries have refused to sell weapons to us. Now, what happened to the defence budget? What was the money spent on? Where has the money gone to? undecided

I just can't help but to smell dasuki and co here

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by saintTim(m): 6:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Buhari Don vex
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by DesChyko: 6:33pm On Jul 22, 2015
In essence, it was a futile visit as regards security challenges?
Not saying Presido shouldn't have fun.
He just didn't include it in his campaign promises that we'll be seeing a replay of Jona's regime.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Acekidc4(m): 6:34pm On Jul 22, 2015
Fucck the White Monkeys and their Gay Weapons!!Nonsense

We can Easily Buy from Russia and China!!

1 Like

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 6:35pm On Jul 22, 2015
The hatred for Jonathan made Northern Elites and APC to sell Nigeria to AI and the enemies of Nigeria.

All the bad things APC cooked up against Nigeria have stocked and will bite us for so long. I won't forget how the demeaned our soldiers, the worst of them all is El'rufia.

Bokoharam mouthpiece and sympathizers are now responsible for the war against their comrades-in-arms.

6 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by richidinho(m): 6:39pm On Jul 22, 2015
midolian:
Upon all the billions of dollars spent on defence during GEJ's regime, we still don't have the appropriate weapons. Yea, its true that many countries have refused to seel weapons to us. Now, what happened to the defence budget?

GEJ will terminate ur first pregnancy if you don't mind how u mention him

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Firefire(m): 6:41pm On Jul 22, 2015
Interesting...

[size=15pt]"Unwittingly, and I dare say unintentionally, the application of the Leahy Law Amendment by the United States government has aided and abetted the Boko Haram terrorists."[/size]

Who is now the Boko Haram

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Firefire(m): 6:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
The hatred on Jonathan made Northern Elites and APC to sell Nigeria to AI and the enemies of Nigeria.

All the bad things APC cooked up against Nigeria have stocked and will bite us for so long. I won't forget how the demeaned our soldiers, the worst of them all is El'rufia.

Bokoharam mouthpiece and sympathizers are now responsible for the war against their comrades-in-arms.

ACN now APC have blood of Nigerians on their hands...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by midolian(m): 6:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
richidinho:

GEJ will terminate ur first pregnancy if you don't mind how u mention him
lol. All the witches of otueke can't even do that.
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by eph12(m): 6:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
Why don't we do business with the Russians?
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Wildrage: 6:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
The Dullard is also a demagogue, MY TROOP, u dash am troop. Every policy pronouncement since I came in starts with "I will" as if all powers of formulation and implementation lies in his scrawny frame.
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by JoshGiantfeet(m): 6:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
INTROVERT:

Err, where did you hear this one? ALWAYS

2 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by utytill(m): 6:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
APshit ntor,dat time una go dey UK and US go dey do press conferences ,una think say na PDP and GEJ una dey do.una never see something.
Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by vedaxcool(m): 6:57pm On Jul 22, 2015
The US needs to understand that human rights violations won't be tolerated under Buhari's Govt. hence the continued denial of weapons (hypocritical posturing of the US) to the Nigerian Army would in no way help in ending BH. This is not civil war, but clearly acts of terrorism, if the US can still supply Egypt lethal weapons despite its appalling human rights records then one finds it against reason to continue this senseless crusade on Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by richidinho(m): 7:00pm On Jul 22, 2015
midolian:
lol. All the witches of otueke can't even do that.

Face ur ratchet life n leave GEJ alone
angry

1 Like

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by vedaxcool(m): 7:01pm On Jul 22, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
[s]The hatred for Jonathan made Northern Elites and APC to sell Nigeria to AI and the enemies of Nigeria.

Bokoharam mouthpiece and sympathizers are now responsible for the war against their comrades-in-arm[/s]s.

When someone murders you father, brother, uncle, etc shut up and do nothing about it pretend that it is the opposition trying to frame the govt for something it has no hand in doing. Odi sued and successfuly won a huge settlement from the govt. with respect to massive human rights violations why didn't you conclude that the ND elites were selling Nigeria to the enemies of Nigeria? You bigotry continues to speak volume of who you really are.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by midolian(m): 7:03pm On Jul 22, 2015
richidinho:

Face ur ratchet life n leave GEJ alone
angry
To hell with u and ya paymaster. Enemy of progress

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 7:03pm On Jul 22, 2015
Firefire:

ACN now APC have blood of Nigerians on their hands...

Even when someone recent Buhari, it is not a reason to wish failure to our gallant soldiers.

The unity and patriotism of a country is best exhibited on our Soldiers during the war and our football team during matches.

Why was the opposition calling Nigerian Soldiers "Jonathan's Soldiers"?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Firefire(m): 7:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
vedaxcool:

[s]When someone murders you father, brother, uncle, etc shut up and do nothing about it pretend that it is the opposition trying to frame the govt for something it has no hand in doing. Odi sued and successfuly won a huge settlement from the govt. with respect to massive human rights violations why didn't you conclude that the ND elites were selling Nigeria to the enemies of Nigeria? You bigotry continues to speak volume of who you really are[/s].

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by atlwireles: 7:07pm On Jul 22, 2015
"But he departs with little practical military assistance in his battle against the Islamist militants who have turned the northeast of his country into a bloody war zone".

WHO IS CLUELESS NOW grin grin grin grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by francizy(m): 7:09pm On Jul 22, 2015
All these doesn't even make sense! We are back to square one! Oh lord! Help us from the evil men who lie their way to power and all of a sudden can't deliver what they promised

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by PassingShot(m): 7:12pm On Jul 22, 2015
[s]
IsraeliAIRFORCE:
The hatred for Jonathan made Northern Elites and APC to sell Nigeria to AI and the enemies of Nigeria.

[/s]
Rubbish!

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Firefire(m): 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2015
PassingShot:
[s][/s]
Rubbish!

Pele ooooo

Sorry! grin cheesy

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by PassingShot(m): 7:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
[s]
Firefire:

Pele ooooo

Sorry! grin cheesy
[/s]

5 Likes

Re: Buhari To US: A Refusal To Arm My Troops Cos Of "So-called Human Rights Violat.. by Sparrow13: 7:16pm On Jul 22, 2015
INTROVERT:
God bless you my sister, anything america have that the don't want to sell to us, he can get it from China, Russia or even Ukraine at a cheaper rate self

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Extends Biafra Campaign To Taiwan / Radio Biafra: DSS Secures Order To Detain Kanu For Another 90 Days -leadership / Naira Fall: My People (igbo) Will Not Kill Me Before My Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.