Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,757 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:43 PM

Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. (15717 Views)

Buhari Described As A Western Puppet By Russian TV (video) / [see Photos] A Few People Were Actually Injured In The Agbara Robbery Today / How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ak47mann(m): 10:00am On Jul 23, 2015
carnegiefan:

Honestly I don't know where to start. I did not say that adultery never happened at all in Igbo land. Nor did I say that premarital sex never happened. I strongly dispute that they were the norm.
Yes, some women also "married" other women (as in Jewish culture too, eg Sarah and Hagah) when they cannot bear children for their husbands.

There was also harlotry (women of easy virtues) in Jewish culture, in fact it was popular up to the time of Jesus.
Married women also had sex in Igbo culture but that was NOT the norm. In some Igbo clans, people actually died just because they committed adultery.

Igbo clans bordering non-Igbo ethnic groups obviously differ somewhat from the rest of the central Igbo due to copying the culture of their neighbors, just like the Jews adopted Canaanite gods and hedonism. Majority of olden day Igbo and ancient Jews frowned seriously at premarital sex and adultery.

Divorce was also easy in BOTH cultures. A woman simply moved into another man's house and that was it; no lengthy divorce procedures. That is why Jesus condemned it in his day.

There were also female Judges in Israel of the old as there were powerful women in Igbo clans too.
female same sex marriage my aunt did marry another woman that bear children for her family it never came to my mind that time that is part of Hebrew culture thousands of years till recently. Is not a coincident dont be misguided cool

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 10:09am On Jul 23, 2015
cheruv:

As an ukwangwa,I recognize the influence Nri had over Igbo civilization. The Aros were said to have migrated from Nri...and you can't compare a civilization that started in 900AD to one that started in 1690AD.
The Nri were cultural and religious in outlook, while the Aro were political and economic in outlook.
Even though in my opinion the Aros failed to dominate Igbo land(I'd ve been happy if they did), they're one of the tribes of the Igbo nation I respect.
Nri still remains the premiere.. And I've this feeling that the future emperor of Igbo land would be crowned by the EzeNri wink

Cheruv, nnaa thanks for bearing this witness. Just to take it a little further ...

In times gone by, Nri priests used to crown both the Attahs of Igala and the Obas of Benin
Portuguese explorers in the 1300s or thereabout who visited the palace of Benin kingdom, in their writing confirmed that THEY ALSO SAW HIGHLY RESPECTED MEN FROM THE EAST WHO PREACHED PEACE (udo Nri) AND TAUGHT THE PERSONALITIES IN THE KINGDOM THE MYSTERIES OF THE HEAVINGLY BODIES AND COUNTED THE DAYS/YEARS FOR THEM.
Well till today the Binis still make use of the four market days of course with slightly different pronunciations from the Igbos. The same goes for the Igalas

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:11am On Jul 23, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

What is guy? You didn't see the f beside my name? I don't really wish to debate hausa ancestry that is not my business here. I was only referring to the difference between Igbo and Hebrew.
What parts of Asia do they speak Afro asiatic languages?
Don't be offended by me calling you guy,i didn't mean to offend anyone today.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by B69U: 10:18am On Jul 23, 2015
We know our religion before colonialism was Judaism.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 2:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:

My replies have been via a small screen phone with problemz so I findnit incredibly difficult to edit and review my writings before posting.

I meant circumcision on the 8th day. I don't think Hausas practise it. At least so I have been told.

Ezeagu, the european scientists that ran their tests on the kids confirmed there was no trace of albinism.
Secondly, ICHU AJA is totally different from IKPU ALU. During IKPU ALU, the animal is not killed. This is scapegoating like the Jews.

Now getting back to the language thing. One is bound to be influenced by the language patterns of ones neighbours. That doesn't mean one is related to the neighbour. The realities of proximity and the likelihood of interacting with your neighbour over centuries starts to create commonalities, but still that doesn't mean you r related. Intermarriages and cultural mingling may of course bring that relationship.

If you cannot prove to me that there were Intermarriages and cultural mixing between the Hausas and the Jews, then I don't see any reason to believe they r relatdd to the Jews.

I have already told you about the verifiable facts of Eze Nri and Eze Aro attending functions and who then had to perform certain rites.

Btw, Nri people refused to cooperate with Europeans during the slave trade era, as they felt it was immoral. That was why Nri seemingly declined. In fact at some point Eze Nri Enwelana 1 placed a curse on a well known Aro slave merchant known as Okoli Ijoma.
Aro people had no such moral standards to uphold and that was the start of Igbo sabos that are now all over the place.
You see, the Europeans empowered the Aros by giving them guns in exchange for human cargo, thus they chose to betray their Igbo brothers by selling them into slavery, thus amassing more guns with which to intimidate their Igbo brothers.

This same pattern of behaviour persists, which was why we had the Ubah brothers in Anambra who for a while, used their connections with Obasanjo to intimidate Anambra people before the people chased them out and adopted an Igbo-controlled party. We all remember Ukpabi Asika and his reign. Exactly the same pattern. The Okorochas, igwe of Aba e.t.c

"While doctors have said Nmachi is not an outright albino, or lacking in all pigment, they added that the child may have some kind of mutated version of the genetic condition — and that her skin could darken over time."
http://nypost.com/2010/07/21/blond-bombshell/

As for Nri hegemony, there are many communities that have never heard of Nri, you're list of Nri influence contains practices that are limited to Anambra area and Anioma, and as Ihuomadinihu said there are many Igbo communities whose markets were not set up by Nri people.

"If you cannot prove to me that there were Intermarriages and cultural mixing between the Hausas and the Jews, then I don't see any reason to believe they r relatdd to the Jews."

But your bases of the Igbo-Jewish link is on loosely similar cultures like circumcision on the eight day that's also practiced by some other Africans. I'm talking about an actual fact that the Hausa through linguistics are closer to the whole of the Middle East, do you know even the so called gene and ancestry that define Jews can be found in some populations of Arabs? There is no genetic evidence that ties Igbo people anywhere else but Africa.

B69U:
We know our religion before colonialism was Judaism.

I just wish you Jews would move to Israel and see what they do to you.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/israeli-man-from-the-ethiopian-community-bleeds-after-news-photo/472084398

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 5:39pm On Jul 23, 2015
"She’s the product of long-dormant white genes, passed on to her by her parents, that might have been carried by their predecessors for generations without surfacing until now."

Secondly I never said or wrote that Igbos are definitely Jews. All I can admit at the moment is that there are wide ranging similarities in the cultures. That was in fact, why I was less than complimentary in my remarks regarding the Aguleri claim.

The similarities in the culture provide enough grounds for further research. Perhaps genetic research should be applied to find out the following
1. Are Jews related to Igbos?
2. If we are related, which group birthed the other?

Now regarding the market thing, let me tell you how markets used to be, before the advent of Europeans, so that next time when someone claims they open markets, you will know what queries to ask, because as you know.....TALK IS CHEAP.
In the olden days, markets named after Nri-Igbo days will normally have shrines of the same name. E.g if the market in your town is/was Eke, then there will also be an Eke shrine in the market.
Establishing shrines was not a task that just anyone or any town can carry out.

Back in the days if a town needed a market, they will normally send a delegation to any of the Umu-Nri towns and the inform the nze na ozo clique. They will then tell the delgation to return and that they should expect an Nri part on a appointed date based on the Nri calendar in which 13 months make up a year.
On the appointed date the Nri priests will arrive at the town set up the market, and name the town after one of the market days, and set up a corresponding shrine somewhere in the market
They will also leave a priest who will be in charge of the shrine and to carter for the spiritual needs of the community.

Remember I have already revealed that the shrines dedicated to the Igbo days are owned by the Nris and are the only people who are spiritually/mystically empowered to establish them or else one desires to die and early death with ones descendants annihilated by the gods. So they believed

Now if someone tells you that they establish markets the traditional way without the Nris, know that that is a 419 market that has no shrine dedicated to that market. Our forefathers will never patronise such a market and will consider it an aberration.

Of course the advent of Christianity has led to the removal of most of these shrines.

Nri is the super-massive blackhole that holds the cultural galaxy of Ndigbo together.

Let me make another statement that you can take to the bank. Anywhere in Igboland where such surnames as Okeke, Okereke, Okoroafor, Okoronkwo, Nwankwo are used also had Nri influence.

So when you hear anyone say NRI BU ISI IGBO, just be assured that claim is not an empty one.
ezeagu:

"While doctors have said Nmachi is not an outright albino, or lacking in all pigment, they added that the child may have some kind of mutated version of the genetic condition — and that her skin could darken over time."

As for Nri hegemony, there are many communities that have never heard of Nri, you're list of Nri influence contains practices that are limited to Anambra area and Anioma, and as Ihuomadinihu said there are many Igbo communities whose markets were not set up by Nri people.

"If you cannot prove to me that there were Intermarriages and cultural mixing between the Hausas and the Jews, then I don't see any reason to believe they r relatdd to the Jews."

But your bases of the Igbo-Jewish link is on loosely similar cultures like circumcision on the eight day that's also practiced by some other Africans. I'm talking about an actual fact that the Hausa through linguistics are closer to the whole of the Middle East, do you know even the so called gene and ancestry that define Jews can be found in some populations of Arabs? There is no genetic evidence that ties Igbo people anywhere else but Africa.

I just wish you Jews would move to Israel .......

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/israeli-man-from-the-ethiopian-community-bleeds-after-news-photo/472084398

Nnaa, I also saw this
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Take a look at these images and the contained excerpts from a book published 150 years ago.

Am now beginning to respect Nnamdi kanu the more for this. in that case, I now believe what he said about today's SE and SS in the ancient times.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 23, 2015
kessgreen:
why do u people still love deceiving yourselves? do u think the isrealites of today give a hoot about you? go there and u'l discover they will throw u like garbage away. if you doubt it, find out what is happening to Ethipian jews who live there. there are being discriminated upon. yet u stil dey here, all of una go dey talk of one rubbish massob n jew nonsense. oga park well grin cool cheesy[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
A typical yereba person will always comment with bitterness that's how I know them.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 9:12pm On Jul 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Secondly I never said or wrote that Igbos are definitely Jews. All I can admit at the moment is that there are wide ranging similarities in the cultures. That was in fact, why I was less than complimentary in my remarks regarding the Aguleri claim.

The similarities in the culture provide enough grounds for further research. Perhaps genetic research should be applied to find out the following
1. Are Jews related to Igbos?
2. If we are related, which group birthed the other?

Before British colonisation there was no knowledge of any Israel or Jewish origin anywhere in Nigeria. I've told you that the so called cultural links are very generic and can be found in cultures around the world and Igbo people have had their genes analysed and there is no relationship with them and the Middle East, in fact the Igbo are unsurprisingly closely related to people around them, there is no single trace of genetics from Israel, such that has been found in other ethnic groups confirmed to have Jewish ancestry like the Lemba people and Ethiopian Jews. We're trying to tell you that are many communities in Igboland that not only recognise Nri, but are completely oblivious to who they are or what their history was, therefore how can a people be the cornerstone of Igbo cultures when they are so diverse and so many?

Even if all you said about Nri were true, the point remains that the things Arochukwu introduced later on became more relevant to the communities they influenced, such as ekpe and okonko. Still, Nri influence from just 1000 years ago does not inform us of the origin of the Igbo people, if that is what you're getting at, because there is evidence of cultures that have existed in Igboland thousands of years before Nri.

This is one of the reasons why I hate this Jewish link theory, you people don't actually realise that you are belittling yourselves by attaching your origins to a people that are not only younger than you but received the information for them to build their civilisation several millennia after you. One such sites of this knowledge in Igboland can be found at Lejja in Enugu State where the Iron age started before anywhere else, meaning there were a group of people smelting iron before Israel was even thought of: http://www.i360limited.com/tour-nigeria/south-east/enugu/lejja-iron-smelting-kingdom-i360-virtual-tour-nigeria

There's a number of other archaeological evidence of civilisation in Igboland thousands of years before Israel or Judah.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 23, 2015
Vicotex2:

W/o us (Igbos), NL will be like a blank site without traffic and content
So true.
Make una leave Igbo people alone for this NL na . . .abeg grin grin
Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo Igbo. . . .
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 3:57am On Jul 24, 2015
Can you provide a link to the official reseach that stipulated thaf Igbos are not linked to Jews. That will definitely answer some of the research questions I posed.

Yet again you keep writing that I have bought the idea that Igbos are definitely related to the Jews, and you know that is totally false. For the umpteenth time, there is enough correlation to resume a research, if one hasn't already been held as you have written.

Now Ekpe and Okonko are nowhere near as important to Ndigbo as the
1. EKE, OYE, AFO, NKWO I.e both the markets and the market days. Everything done in Arochukwu must be done in one of these aforementioned Nri-Igbo days
2. IKENGA CULT, which comprises Nze, ozo, duru, mgburuichi titles
3. IGU ARO, which is tangentially related to the first point

You also have to realise that Ibibio/Efik and possibly the Ejagham people all have a claim to have originated Ekpe, Okonko, Nsibidi

But the Nri cultural originations were solely introduced by Nri people and no one can challenge or claim any of them.

Nri people did all these things without the force of arms or an army because our ancestors believed in their cultural leadership. Arochukwu on the other hand couldn't have stepped into a neighbouring village without raiders, as they lacked the legitimacy of Nri and needed an extra way coarse their neighbours into accepting their leadership.

ezeagu:

Before British colonisation there was no knowledge of any Israel or Jewish origin anywhere in Nigeria. I've told you that the so called cultural links are very generic and can be found in cultures around the world and Igbo people have had their genes analysed and there is no relationship with them and the Middle East, in fact the Igbo are unsurprisingly closely related to people around them, there is no single trace of genetics from Israel, such that has been found in other ethnic groups confirmed to have Jewish ancestry like the Lemba people and Ethiopian Jews. We're trying to tell you that are many communities in Igboland that not only recognise Nri, but are completely oblivious to who they are or what their history was, therefore how can a people be the cornerstone of Igbo cultures when they are so diverse and so many?

Even if all you said about Nri were true, the point remains that the things Arochukwu introduced later on became more relevant to the communities they influenced, such as ekpe and okonko. Still, Nri influence from just 1000 years ago does not inform us of the origin of the Igbo people, if that is what you're getting at, because there is evidence of cultures that have existed in Igboland thousands of years before Nri.

This is one of the reasons why I hate this Jewish link theory, you people don't actually realise that you are belittling yourselves by attaching your origins to a people that are not only younger than you but received the information for them to build their civilisation several millennia after you. One such sites of this knowledge in Igboland can be found at Lejja in Enugu State where the Iron age started before anywhere else, meaning there were a group of people smelting iron before Israel was even thought of: http://www.i360limited.com/tour-nigeria/south-east/enugu/lejja-iron-smelting-kingdom-i360-virtual-tour-nigeria

There's a number of other archaeological evidence of civilisation in Igboland thousands of years before Israel or Judah.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by naijaking1: 4:30am On Jul 24, 2015
ezeagu:

Where did you pull these spellings from now? Do you know that word Hebrew isn't even a Hebrew word?

No need to worry about Hebrew being a Hebrew word, many reasonable people will certainly see the similarity of those 2 words or sounds.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 4:39am On Jul 24, 2015
ezeagu:

I just wish you Jews would move to Israel and see what they do to you.

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WWqIuURGo
[/flash]
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 4:46am On Jul 24, 2015
Lovesdaisied:

Neither for nor against the Igbo Jew thing. Just thought to share for laughs at how this interesting this thread will be.

grin
Well done
[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cJ65VuDnJU
[/flash]
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 5:43am On Jul 24, 2015
This is CONFUSION
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 24, 2015
Xsolutions:
This is CONFUSION
how is it confusion
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 7:46am On Jul 24, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Can you provide a link to the official reseach that stipulated thaf Igbos are not linked to Jews. That will definitely answer some of the research questions I posed.

Yet again you keep writing that I have bought the idea that Igbos are definitely related to the Jews, and you know that is totally false. For the umpteenth time, there is enough correlation to resume a research, if one hasn't already been held as you have written.

Now Ekpe and Okonko are nowhere near as important to Ndigbo as the
1. EKE, OYE, AFO, NKWO I.e both the markets and the market days. Everything done in Arochukwu must be done in one of these aforementioned Nri-Igbo days
2. IKENGA CULT, which comprises Nze, ozo, duru, mgburuichi titles
3. IGU ARO, which is tangentially related to the first point

You also have to realise that Ibibio/Efik and possibly the Ejagham people all have a claim to have originated Ekpe, Okonko, Nsibidi

But the Nri cultural originations were solely introduced by Nri people and no one can challenge or claim any of them.

Nri people did all these things without the force of arms or an army because our ancestors believed in their cultural leadership. Arochukwu on the other hand couldn't have stepped into a neighbouring village without raiders, as they lacked the legitimacy of Nri and needed an extra way coarse their neighbours into accepting their leadership.

How many times will i tell you that these things you keep writing is not recognized in Southern Igboland? Southern igboclans had their markets,gods,titleship which does not rely on any Nri stuff. The market gods you keep talking about were said to belong to Awka igbos but Ikenga belongs to Nri but it's not recognised in Southern igbo.
The Nri clan is just an arm of igbo that have priestly roles,others have agricultural,commercial,militancy roles. Where is this self acclaimed supremacy coming from?
The relationship between Igbo and other cultures doesn't end in Africa or middle east. I've seen certain similarity in asia,for instance, Madu or Mmadu or Manu which means human being in Igbo also exist in India. Madu/Manu means the first man in indian civilization which is the root word for man in English.
Personally,i believe there was a great civilization of Igbos/blacks which gave way to Mongoloid,Middle eastern and European civilization respectively.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Leopardd(m): 8:31am On Jul 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

They have none of these. The things you just mentioned is limited to Northern Igbo and markets and shrines were opened without Nri people. Am only saying that this fictitous claim is only a way to assume supremacy over other Igbos. The history of Nri started with their migration into Anambra valley where they met other natives which bestowed on them the right to Ikpu ala and land cleansing.

My own people down south here conform to at least 3.
Maybe not urs.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 9:14am On Jul 24, 2015
Leopardd:

My own people down south here conform to at least 3.
Maybe not urs.
That is why Igbos are diverse. Nobody should make themselves Lords over others that don't recognise them. Some of you make it sound like Nri gave birth to Igbos and their civilization. Igbo clans have been in existence long before Nri or even Aro came to be. No doubt,Nri might have founded certain things but all Igbos don't recognize it.
Can you list the three things you conform to? And which community?
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Leopardd(m): 10:18am On Jul 24, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

That is why Igbos are diverse. Nobody should make themselves Lords over others that don't recognise them. Some of you make it sound like Nri gave birth to Igbos and their civilization. Igbo clans have been in existence long before Nri or even Aro came to be. No doubt,Nri might have founded certain things but all Igbos don't recognize it.
Can you list the three things you conform to? And which community?

Ngwa,
market days
Nze, ozo

At least these two.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ISpiksDaTroof: 10:31am On Jul 24, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Take a look at these images and the contained excerpts from a book published 150 years ago.

The fact that they recognized a Supreme Being is why the toga of "Judaism" was attached to them by the author.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 10:36am On Jul 24, 2015
Nnaa you are not getting your information from accurate sources.

One Dr. Nwaezeigwe, a native of Ibusa in Delta state started broadcadting some falsehoods against Ndi Nri out of jealousy and it is suspected his being paid by other sections of Igboland who want to belittle Nri's achievements.
Some of those fallacies are
1. That Nri only made it to Igboland from Igala just about 300 years ago
2. That the 4 market days are owned by Awka
3. That Nri people do not carry out IKPU ALU
e.t.c

Nri people know that Dr. NWAEZEIGWE is representing the interest of Igbo-Ukwu who of late, are trying to remove Nri links from the Igboukwu archeological findings

You see, Igbo-Ukwu used to be known as Igbo-Nkwo up until a few decades ago. This fact can be gleaned from a particular government department in Enugu. This tells one how recent, the name Igbo-Ukwu is
Secondly, a royal chamber was unearthed in Prof, Thurstan Shaw's excavation of IgboNkwo. We also know there was never any kingship tradition in Igbo-Ukwu until the Europeans came and started establishing warrant chiefs.
Thirdly, in Prof. Shaw's findings, he noted that the part of Igbo-Ukwu were the archeological findings were made used to belong to Ora-Eri. This fact was obviously confirmed by both Igbo-Ukwu asnd Ora-Eri elders.
Fourthly, Ora-Eri was an Nri outpost and they have had their royal institution for over a thousand years. Btw, their kings are also referred to, as Eze Nri, thus showing thier relationship with the core Nris.

Now, for Igbo-Ukwu to successfully create another historical 419, they needed to establish that NKWO, which was a part of their name, was not an Nri creation thus showing that they were totally independent of Nri. Can you now begin to see why Dr. Nwaezeigwe will claim that the 4 market days're from Awka?

Well, if Awka owns the 4 market days
1. How come ndi Awka don't carry out IGU ARO, rather they attend the ones done in Nri. The Nri market days are tangentially related to Igu Aro, afterall you count your days before you count your year.
2. How come no Awka priest dead or alive, has ever established a shrine dedicated to any of the market days?

Nwannaa I suppose all I am trying to let you know is that EKE, OYE, AFO, NKWO belong to the Nri communities of Enugwu-Ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu (now known as Nri, along with Akamkpisi and Diodo).

Presently there are now nearly 200 identified communities of Nri ancestry dotted all over Igboland and beyond. Some are full fledged towns while others are villages within towns.

I remember I bumped into the traditional ruler of Uruala in Imo state about 3 years ago,and he told me that they migrated out of Nri to form their town. It was such migrations, which took place hundreds of years before Aro's rise, that saw to it that Nri culture became the dominant culture in Igholand, even before Aro people took the first steps out of Arochukwu.
The first Aro people that decided to create their confederacy had already imbibed a grest deal of Nri inventions, such as the Nri market days and possibly the concept of Ikenga and of course, CHUKWU OKIKE ABIAMA

Ihuomadinihu:

How many times will i tell you that these things you keep writing is not recognized in Southern Igboland? Southern igboclans had their markets,gods,titleship which does not rely on any Nri stuff. The market gods you keep talking about were said to belong to Awka igbos but Ikenga belongs to Nri but it's not recognised in Southern igbo.
The Nri clan is just an arm of igbo that have priestly roles,others have agricultural,commercial,militancy roles. Where is this self acclaimed supremacy coming from?
The relationship between Igbo and other cultures doesn't end in Africa or middle east. I've seen certain similarity in asia,for instance, Madu or Mmadu or Manu which means human being in Igbo also exist in India. Madu/Manu means the first man in indian civilization which is the root word for man in English.
Personally,i believe there was a great civilization of Igbos/blacks which gave way to Mongoloid,Middle eastern and European civilization respectively.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 10:51am On Jul 24, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Nnaa you are not getting your information from accurate sources.

One Dr. Nwaezeigwe, a native of Ibusa in Delta state started broadcadting some falsehoods against Ndi Nri out of jealousy and it is suspected his being paid by other sections of Igboland who want to belittle Nri's achievements.
Some of those fallacies are
1. That Nri only made it to Igboland from Igala just about 300 years ago
2. That the 4 market days are owned by Awka
3. That Nri people do not carry out IKPU ALU
e.t.c

Nri people know that Dr. NWAEZEIGWE is representing the interest of Igbo-Ukwu who of late, are trying to remove Nri links from the Igboukwu archeological findings

You see, Igbo-Ukwu used to be known as Igbo-Nkwo up until a few decades ago. This fact can be gleaned from a particular government department in Enugu. This tells one how recent, the name Igbo-Ukwu is
Secondly, a royal chamber was unearthed in Prof, Thurstan Shaw's excavation of IgboNkwo. We also know there was never any kingship tradition in Igbo-Ukwu until the Europeans came and started establishing warrant chiefs.
Thirdly, in Prof. Shaw's findings, he noted that the part of Igbo-Ukwu were the archeological findings were made used to belong to Ora-Eri. This fact was obviously confirmed by both Igbo-Ukwu asnd Ora-Eri elders.
Fourthly, Ora-Eri was an Nri outpost and they have had their royal institution for over a thousand years. Btw, their kings are also referred to, as Eze Nri, thus showing thier relationship with the core Nris.

Now, for Igbo-Ukwu to successfully create another historical 419, they needed to establish that NKWO, which was a part of their name, was not an Nri creation thus showing that they were totally independent of Nri. Can you now begin to see why Dr. Nwaezeigwe will claim that the 4 market days're from Awka?

Well, if Awka owns the 4 market days
1. How come ndi Awka don't carry out IGU ARO, rather they attend the ones done in Nri. The Nri market days are tangentially related to Igu Aro, afterall you count your days before you count your year.
2. How come no Awka priest dead or alive, has ever established a shrine dedicated to any of the market days?

Nwannaa I suppose all I am trying to let you know is that EKE, OYE, AFO, NKWO belong to the Nri communities of Enugwu-Ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu (now known as Nri, along with Akamkpisi and Diodo).

Presently there are now nearly 200 identified communities of Nri ancestry dotted all over Igboland and beyond. Some are full fledged towns while others are villages within towns.

I remember I bumped into the traditional ruler of Uruala in Imo state about 3 years ago,and he told me that they migrated out of Nri to form their town. It was such migrations, which took place hundreds of years before Aro's rise, that saw to it that Nri culture became the dominant culture in Igholand, even before Aro people took the first steps out of Arochukwu.
The first Aro people that decided to create their confederacy had already imbibed a grest deal of Nri inventions, such as the Nri market days and possibly the concept of Ikenga and of course, CHUKWU OKIKE ABIAMA

This is simply getting out of hand.
Firstly, Aro are a conglomate of different Igbo and Ibibio people that came together during the 17th century. Ikenga is a cult of the right hand which is never recognized in Southern Igboland and has no concept in that region.
Dr Nwaezeigwe has no importance in this topic. The Real Awka historians are the people that lay claim to these gods.
Are you aware that you are making your Nri mythology seem more important than other Igbo mythologies? Are you aware that other clans have their mythology about the origin of market days? Igu aro is just a northern Igbo calender which is not recognized all over Igboland. There is no consensus on this market day system you are trying to impose. Nri mythology does not supercede other mythology in Igboland at all. Other communities have different calender and market day system which is indigenous to them.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 11:04am On Jul 24, 2015
Aro decided to imbibe Chukwu Abiama? The Supreme God that is central to all Igbos? You would have said Nri created the concept of Chineke, Amadioha,Ala, Ekekere Uwa and Obasi and the host of Arushis. These are general Igbo Gods,that Nri referenced a particular god does not mean they founded it.
I have pointed out to you that Aro adopted Ibibio Ibini Ukpabi as their supreme God which in turn they christened Chukwu. Chukwu is a compound word from Chi and Ukwu which is a general Igbo God.
Nri doesn't hold any prominence outside its northernly regions. We know there are Nri outpost outside Nri, same way there are other clans that migrated from different Igbo groups.
Despite the fact that Aros are condemned by other Igbos,i apperciate the fact that they are truthful about their origins. This is unlike Nri people. Every Igbo historian will reference the fact that Nri migrated into Eastern Nigeria in the 10-12 century. On getting to Nri they met an exisiting civilization,people that were already in the Iron age:Lejja and Awka. They were only incoporated into the system by assuming the positions of priest and custodians of gods. There were native people on ground that crowned the Eze Nri etc.
Why Nri would turn around and claim supremacy and origin of igbo civilization is really baffling.
By writing these stuffs,you are trying to make Nri more relevant while confining Igbo history and civilization to the 11th century AD.
Take this as an issue of European researchers that first recorded Nri mythology without making efforts to contact and document other Igbo mythologies.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 12:33pm On Jul 24, 2015
Yet again, you are wrong in some of your stipulations
1. Nri owns and controls the originating deities of the market days and not Awka. Implication being that it is an Nri invention.

2. Out of all the 4 original settlement of the children of Nri, 3 of them occupied virgin lands. In fact the fir settlement of Eze Nri-Menri was Mkpume Onyilenyi in present day Enugwu-ukwu, descendants of the first son of Nri. Virgin settlements were subsequently established for the second, third and fourth son namely Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Oruora which is now extinct.
After a while, Eze Nri-Menri left the Mkpume Onyilenyi site, crossed the Ngene found a huge forest (hence Agukwu which means nnukwu ohia) and established there. He made this journey with his youngest son known as Ifikuanim.

In fact up till today, the highest ofo in the current Nri town which now comprises of Agukwu, Akampkisi and Diodo still remains OFO NRI-MENRI. And it is handed from one Eze Nri to the next. I repeat, it is not held by the Adama, but by Eze Nri. Of course the Adama can enter the HOLY OF HOLIES to see it, but the Eze Nri is the keeper of that ofo
It only changes hands when a new Eze Nri is crowned, so anybody trying to belittle the Nri heritage has an impossible task.
Lest I forget the Ofo Nri-Menri is jointly owned by the four descendant towns but held by Eze Nri.

So

Ihuomadinihu:
Aro decided to imbibe Chukwu Abiama? The Supreme God that is central to all Igbos? You would have said Nri created the concept of Chineke, Ekekere Uwa and Obasi.
I have pointed out to you that Aro adopted Ibibio Ibini Ukpabi as their supreme God which in turn they christened Chukwu. Chukwu is a compound word from Chi and Ukwu which is a general Igbo God.
Nri doesn't hold any prominence outside its northernly regions. We know there are Nri outpost outside Nri, same way there are other clans that migrated from different Igbo groups.
Despite the fact that Aros are condemned by other Igbos,i apperciate the fact that they are truthful about their origins. This is unlike Nri people. Every Igbo historian will reference the fact that Nri migrated into Eastern Nigeria in the 10-12 century. On getting to Nri they met an exisiting civilization,people that were already in the Iron age:Lejja and Awka. They were only incoporated into the system by assuming the positions of priest and custodians of gods. There were native people on ground that crowned the Eze Nri etc.
Why Nri would turn around and claim supremacy and origin of igbo civilization is really baffling.
By writing these stuffs,you are trying to make Nri more relevant while confining Igbo history and civilization to the 11th century AD.
Take this as an issue of European researchers that first recorded Nri mythology without making efforts to contact and document other Igbo mythologies.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 12:44pm On Jul 24, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Yet again, you are wrong in some of your stipulations
1. Nri owns and controls the originating deities of the market days and not Awka. Implication being that it is an Nri invention.

2. Out of all the 4 original settlement of the children of Nri, 3 of them occupied virgin lands. In fact the fir settlement of Eze Nri-Menri was Mkpume Onyilenyi in present day Enugwu-ukwu, descendants of the first son of Nri. Virgin settlements were subsequently established for the second, third and fourth son namely Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Oruora which is now extinct.
After a while, Eze Nri-Menri left the Mkpume Onyilenyi site, crossed the Ngene found a huge forest (hence Agukwu which means nnukwu ohia) and established there. He made this journey with his youngest son known as Ifikuanim.

In fact up till today, the highest ofo in the current Nri town which now comprises of Agukwu, Akampkisi and Diodo still remains OFO NRI-MENRI. And it is handed from one Eze Nri to the next. I repeat, it is not held by the Adama, but by Eze Nri. Of course the Adama can enter the HOLY OF HOLIES to see it, but the Eze Nri is the keeper of that ofo
It only changes hands when a new Eze Nri is crowned, so anybody trying to belittle the Nri heritage has an impossible task.
Lest I forget the Ofo Nri-Menri is jointly owned by the four descendant towns but held by Eze Nri.

So

Everything you have written belong to the Nri mythology and where its influence is seen. Researchers are already looking into the market and gods origins from diverse accounts. No point making a closure on a vast topic such as this. It would interest you to know that different Igbo gods are not even reverenced or taken care of by their original founders. That you have eke or afo god in Nri,does not mean that they are the founders,period.
This topic has long been overflogged on nairaland,no point dragging it up and down. When Nri clan came,people were already civilized,produced goods which they traded in their markets. Unless,you are trying to say that there was no commercial activity before Nri.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 1:17pm On Jul 24, 2015
imhotep:

[flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WWqIuURGo
[/flash]

Why are you replying me with this fraudster?

naijaking1:

No need to worry about Hebrew being a Hebrew word, many reasonable people will certainly see the similarity of those 2 words or sounds.

Wat?
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Dreambeat: 1:18pm On Jul 24, 2015
Wow!Thanx op for this info.History is so imperative in ones life.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by shotster50(m): 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
I am Igbo and this talk of Igbo being Jews is quite infuriating and troubling for many reasons.. It is not a scientifically proven.... it actually makes us deviate from the real genealogical study of Igbo history and ancestry....
I understand why this narrative is so appealing to the masses but it is quite frankly mere wishful thinking...

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 24, 2015
IGBOSON1:
Na wah oh! Where do you find these ancient books from?
you'll be surprised what you'd find in a library
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2015
I have already narrated how markets named after the Nri-Igbo market days are formed.
I have also told you that Nri people are the only people that see in the new year for Ndigbo I.e IGU ARO.
Nri cannot perform IGU ARO without mastery of the mysteries behind their originating shrines.
Of course people can have markets, but I have told you the procedure for having a market that has an Nri name, especially if you wanna have their deities established in the middle of the market in days gone by.

Till today it is only the Nri that calculate leap years for Ndigbo based on the 4 market days, and the 13 moons of the Nri-Igbo year.

So anyone or community that tries to claim something that isn't theirs will also have to explain every other thing that surrounds that claim.

If a poor man that you know, all of a sudden tells you that he has a Ferrari
1. You will wanna know what his occupation is
2. What his bank balance is and how he saved money to be able to purchase that ride
3. Places he intends to visit with such an ostentatious car
4. Does he also have a house to match?
5.e.t.c

So anyone can easily write that they introduced eke and oye, but ask the other telling questions and the veracity of the claim will be revealed.

Ihuomadinihu:

Everything you have written belong to the Nri mythology and where its influence is seen. Researchers are already looking into the market and gods origins from diverse accounts. No point making a closure on a vast topic such as this. It would interest you to know that different Igbo gods are not even reverenced or taken care of by their original founders. That you have eke or afo god in Nri,does not mean that they are the founders,period.
This topic has long been overflogged on nairaland,no point dragging it up and down. When Nri clan came,people were already civilized,produced goods which they traded in their markets. Unless,you are trying to say that there was no commercial activity before Nri.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Ihuomadinihu: 4:34pm On Jul 24, 2015
OfoIgbo:
I have already narrated how markets named after the Nri-Igbo market days are formed.
I have also told you that Nri people are the only people that see in the new year for Ndigbo I.e IGU ARO.
Nri cannot perform IGU ARO without mastery of the mysteries behind their originating shrines.
Of course people can have markets, but I have told you the procedure for having a market that has an Nri name, especially if you wanna have their deities established in the middle of the market in days gone by.

Till today it is only the Nri that calculate leap years for Ndigbo based on the 4 market days, and the 13 moons of the Nri-Igbo year.

So anyone or community that tries to claim something that isn't theirs will also have to explain every other thing that surrounds that claim.

If a poor man that you know, all of a sudden tells you that he has a Ferrari
1. You will wanna know what his occupation is
2. What his bank balance is and how he saved money to be able to purchase that ride
3. Places he intends to visit with such an ostentatious car
4. Does he also have a house to match?
5.e.t.c

So anyone can easily write that they introduced eke and oye, but ask the other telling questions and the veracity of the claim will be revealed.

This Iguaro stuff is alien to other people. I think i have said my bit on this topic. Researches and documentation of different origins are currrently on the way. Markets have been established without Nri people. This fallacy of Nri this and Nri did that will be the bane of igbo culture if care is not taken. Mythology of Nri doesn't replace the Mythology of others.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Asset Declaration: Appeal Court Quashes Orubebe’s Conviction / Uba Sani: Nigeria Should Start Printing Other Nation's Currencies And Passports / Election: We Are Worried By Threats Of Intimidation & Violence - Abdulsalami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 161
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.