Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,287 members, 7,815,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:17 PM

Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa (24883 Views)

Religion Is Very Important And I'm Not Atheist - Mark Zuckerberg, Fbk Founder / 6 Reasons Sunday School Is Important In Your Christian Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:10am On Jul 28, 2015
adsonstone:

...blah blah blah!
You can say all the good you can find...other bodies do good, so, it is not surprising.

I don't have time for stories

From the ones you made earlier:

I wonder why you're finding it hard to list the evils of the rcc...even when you are aware they do/have done evil(s).

No you're ashamed to see the good of the Catholic Church. Others will see it.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Sheikwonder(m): 11:10am On Jul 28, 2015
@AAinEqGuinea

Religion grants legitimacy to law.It is why we swear an oath on assumption of office,testifying etc

The belief that one is answerable to a higher authority helps to curb certain excesses that are inherent in humans.

If you think that the civility that Religion brings is not a valid reason for it's existence,perhaps you may want to give me an example of a godless state that lives by the ethos you describe.

The reason you will not find any is that like it or not,religion plays an integral role in society.Please do not make me write that often stated Marx quote that relates religion to opium.

For good or ill,man likes to have a sense of purpose,a rallying point.When put to good use,Religion can have great effects.Of course the reverse can be said when put to bad use.

To however totally disregard religion as being useless is fatuous to say the least.The evidence of this is axiomatic if you can only open your eyes...

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adsonstone: 11:14am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

List the evils of the roman catholic church let everyone see them.

Are you scared?
Or is it your usual hypocrisy?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:15am On Jul 28, 2015
chreldb:

I'm surprised that no one else has taken you up on this point. There is nothing else I can think of that has denigrated women more than religion. I challenge you to strengthen your claim by defending these parts of the bible in quote.

Deutronomy 22:13-14; 20-21 "13;If any man takes a wife and goes in to her and then turns against her, 14; charges her with shameful deeds and publicly defames her, and says, ‘I took this woman, but when I came near her, I did not find her a virgin,

"20; But if this charge is true, that the girl was not found a virgin, 21; they shall bring out the girl to the doorway of her father’s house, and the men of her city shall stone her to death because she has committed an act of folly in Israel by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you.

""And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the LovePeddler, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)"

""When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)"

""Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean." (Leviticus 12:2)

"But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days." (Leviticus 12:5)"

""But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God." (I Corinthians 11:3)

"For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man." (I Corinthians 11:8-9)"

""Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing. But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:24-25)"

""Let the women learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (I Timothy 2:11-14)"

""If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silvers, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)"

""Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." (I Corinthians 14:34-35)"

""Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)"

And so on and so forth...... So what is this you say about Christianity bringing about civilisation and gender equality? Because what is in the bible is an absolute contradiction to those claims.

My religion is Christianity. The teachings of Christianity are the Church's interpretation of the Bible, not yours.

I earlier posted Catholic teaching on equality. Please read.

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Humblebloke(m): 11:21am On Jul 28, 2015
shalomm:

Many Christians today only practice what i called " Religion"

I am sure that guy won't answer my question.....

That is just it...... They all think religion is the answer....buh from the little knowledge I have garnered..... It doesn't seem like it

I know.... Even if he does....... He is gonna sound illogical...... Same old shii like a broken record
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adsonstone: 11:23am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

...and you're ashamed too tired to post the evils of the Roman Catholic Church?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by shalomm: 11:23am On Jul 28, 2015
Humblebloke:

That is just it...... They all think religion is the answer....buh from the little knowledge I have garnered..... It doesn't seem like it

I know.... Even if he does....... He is gonna sound illogical...... Same old shii like a broken record

Yeah i am aware of that...peace.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:26am On Jul 28, 2015
adsonstone:

The scientific method is a body of techniques
for investigating phenomena, acquiring new
knowledge, or correcting and integrating
previous knowledge.
-Wikipedia

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the scientific method as "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."
-Wikipedia

Scientific methods can be traced back to more than 1500years BC.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_history_of_scientific_method

Scientific Methods can be traced to Ancient Greece, Egypt, China etc

https://explorable.com/history-of-the-scientific-method

Tell me more about how science was 'invented' by catholicism.

You really seem to enjoy self deceit even when the truth is hitting you on the head.

You have proved me right with the bold.

"The Scientific Method" refers to a singular concept. That particular concept, according to you began to Characterize natural science in 17th century.

It is this concept that the modern sense of the word "Science" refers to.

Thank you.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Humblebloke(m): 11:28am On Jul 28, 2015
shalomm:

Yeah i am aware of that...peace.

Shalom.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Atigba: 11:28am On Jul 28, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

charity after looting their country of resources and industry. go type " Shashi Tharoor speech in British House of commons. "

Nonsense. The worlds wealthiest nation at one point of time in history requires no charity from bunch of brainwashing doublecrossing thieves.

Exactly,the Indians were the richest country on earth before the British and missionery invaded them

He is probably asserting that the once richest country on earth needs their useless charity
Which charity all they did was to loot Indian dry
Bunch of imperialist

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by franconian: 11:29am On Jul 28, 2015
chibecanglobal:
Leo Igwe

Criticizing religion is urgently needed in today’s world particularly in Africa because it is in this region that the negative effects of religious dogmatism and absolutism are so glaring. In fact it has become a moral and intellectual duty for all free and open minds to highlight and expose through writing, cartoons, drama, music and comedy shows the absurdities, misconceptions, falsehoods and illusions of religion. First of all, religion is a human phenomenon and nothing human is – and should be beyond criticism. Criticizing religion is important because it is a human right that has long been ignored and has long been denied. It is a power and entitlement the exercise of which is important for human happiness and human flourishing.

Unfortunately, one of the greatest tragedies in human history is that human beings created ideas – religious ideas – and then made it a crime, a forbidden act, for others to question them. Human beings have placed a heavy price on critical examination of religious and superstitious beliefs particularly Islam thereby perpetuating these ideas with all their limitations and shortcomings.

The situation in Africa is quiet disturbing because the continent has a triple religious heritage – traditional, Christian and Islamic and these layers of dogma and absolutism make critical examination of faith claims more challenging, and yes, more urgent and compelling.

The three faiths make conflicting and contradictory claims about this life and what happens after death, about what is right and wrong, what is true and what is false, what is allowed or forbidden, what is good or bad, what is fact or fiction, what is myth or reality. They peddle counter intuitive notions like virgin birth, the resurrection and ascension of Jesus, the divine revelation of the Koran, the ascent into heaven of Muhammad on a flaming horse, the existence of paradise and Hell fire, the existence of ancestors, spirits and gods that intervene in nature etc. Many Africans grow up confused, not knowing which religion is true and which is false, if any at all, which faith or philosophy is a suitable moral guide in this 21st century. Africans grow up with their minds enchanted, beclouded and not understanding clearly what to believe and what not to believe, not comprehending how to distinguish facts from fantasy.

Critical evaluation of religious teaching is important for the intellectual emancipation and enlightenment of Africans. Exposing the illogics and gaps in religious thinking – the contradictions in its conception of life and nature, needling the balloon of otherworldly faiths will free the minds and morals of Africans from the grip of superstition and fundamentalism. Due to lack of critical thinking, many Africans are embracing religious extremism and are being indoctrinated into thinking that killing others in the name of their god, prophet and religion is a demonstration of faith and a mark of religious virtue.

They do not know that God is an imaginary being and that the so called prophets are historical entities who are dead and gone or mythical figures who never existed in time and space.

Religious promises of paradise, divine judgment and reward in an afterlife are driving Africans to commit atrocities because many people across Africa think that religious promises are true. African Christians and muslims are really working and hoping to inherit paradise as promised in the Bible and the Koran. Sadly, they are mistaken and we need criticism of religion to foreground the erroneous propositions of faith systems and awaken Africans from their religious slumber. Criticism of religion will help disabuse the minds of Africans of religious illusions and delusions and dissuade them from religious credulousness and extremism. Religion is a potent force in human culture and society, and without criticism it will become a treacherous weapon, a lethal, vicious and potentially dangerous agent. We have witnessed how the destructive force of religious extremism is raging and ravaging different parts of Africa and the world today. We need criticism of religion to counter the narratives of religious extremism and exploitation. So to all Africans I say “Criticize every religion – all religions. Spare no faith, god, prophet or holy book no matter how exalted or revered. Expose their erroneous assumptions, absurd claims and misconceptions. Demand evidence for religious claims even at the risk of causing offence. African enlightenment will not be achieved without offending the sensibilities of those who have vested interest in the religious status quo, in African ‘endarkenment’. Question all religious dogmas because dogmatization is a cover, a way of preserving and perpetuating error and falsehood. Seek the truth. Ignite the flame of rational inquiry and rid this continent of dark and destructive forces of superstition and unreason.

www.eaglereporters.com/2015/07/25/why-criticism-of-religion-is-important-in-contemporary-africa/

Africans will not listen... They fear the imaginary hell fire, the Jewish, Greek and the Arabian god's more than anything you can imagine!
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:30am On Jul 28, 2015
shalomm:

I'm Christian and Proud. but bro you just commit a blunder by saying the bolded statement of yours.... Soviet Union, North korea, Cambodia are we hearing any issue of those country legalizing gay marriage or the LGBTC community? are u saying Russia has no Christians? or aren't there christian in North Korea? shocked sad sad sad sad sad

Soviet Govt was Atheistic. Russian Govt isn't, now.

North Korean Govt is Atheistic...I don't need to tell you the atrocities it is perpetrating against its own people.

Read about How Pol Pot, the former Atheistic dictator of Cambodia killed one-quarter of Cambodians.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:33am On Jul 28, 2015
senbonzakurakageyoshi:

I don't understand. Are you for the church and Christianity as a whole or just repping the catholic church? Because by your repeated posts here, you're tacitly implying that other denominations are doing jack all while the catholic church is the bastion of world goodness. This is precisely my problem with modern christianity - this our "my church is better than yours" argument. What's the difference between it and the "my religion is better than yours" argument?

How do you define "Church" and "Christianity?"
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by freecocoa(f): 11:35am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:
Read about nambla...The communists' persecutions and mass killings etc

Your ignorance is nauseating, so Harry Hay and his association equals all atheists? You want to tell me about mass killings and persecutions without giving credit to christianity? You gotta be kidding me.

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 11:39am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

North Korean Govt is Atheistic...I don't need to tell you the atrocities it is perpetrating against its own people.

Read about How Pol Pot, the former Atheistic dictator of Cambodia killed one-quarter of Cambodians.
That a president is atheistic doesn't make it that his actions are as a result of atheism.

Soviet government, North Korean government atheistic or not acts politically. . .Their actions was not in the name of atheism, this is just like saying because Obama is a theist his actions are in the name of theism.

Know the difference between religious actions, political actions and individual actions. . . All the governments you mentioned all fall under political actions, even Hitler was a catholic christian but his actions had nothing to do with catholicism or Christianity, it was his own political ideology...

Italo you are really giving me a whole lot of disappointing show of desperation and deception

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:41am On Jul 28, 2015
johnydon22:
For goodness sake stop your fallacies and argue honestly for once. . . You tend to give catholicism a bad name with such desperate attempt on discrediting people falsely.. Numbla is a pedophile legalization movement just like gay right movement.. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Man/Boy_Love_Association what has that got to do with atheism exactly? Seriously you need to calm you nerves and stop acting on desperation...

Some of the well known atheist advocates of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) are:
1. The atheist and homosexual David Thorstad was a founding member of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA).[1]
2. Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) was a liberal atheist advocate of statutory rape and the widely acknowledged founder and progenitor of the activist homosexual agenda in the United States.[2][3][4] Hay joined the Communist Party of the United States (CPUSA) in 1934. [5] He was a vociferous advocate of man/boy love. [6][7] In 1986, Hay marched in a gay parade wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words "NAMBLA walks with me."[8]
3. The writer Samuel R. Delaney is an atheist and a homosexual.[9][10] Delaney said he was a supporter of NAMBLA

You're the one trying to desperately conceal how Atheists justify their evils.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:45am On Jul 28, 2015
adsonstone:

List the evils of the roman catholic church let everyone see them.

Are you scared?
Or is it your usual hypocrisy?

You list them...or they are so few you can't find any?

And list the deeds your deeper life has done for the world?

Nothing?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by freecocoa(f): 11:46am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Some of the well known atheist advocates of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) are:
1. The atheist and homosexual David Thorstad was a founding member of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA).[1]
2. Harry Hay (1912 - 2002) was a liberal atheist advocate of statutory rape and the widely acknowledged founder and progenitor of the activist homosexual agenda in the United States.[2][3][4] Hay joined the Communist Party of the United States (CPUSA) in 1934. [5] He was a vociferous advocate of man/boy love. [6][7] In 1986, Hay marched in a gay parade wearing a shirt emblazoned with the words "NAMBLA walks with me."[8]
3. The writer Samuel R. Delaney is an atheist and a homosexual.[9][10] Delaney said he was a supporter of NAMBLA

You are dumb beyond redemption, like wtf?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:46am On Jul 28, 2015
adsonstone:

...and you're ashamed too tired to post the evils of the Roman Catholic Church?

I want you to list them...

...and the deeds deeper life has done for humanity...

Let's compare.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 11:49am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Lol, you see your life? No wonder you still argue like a child.

Most Nambla and LGBT members are theists and christians as that, you see nobody attributing individual actions to a group.

That gay right activities consist of both theists and atheists doesn't make that activity the collectivity activity of theism or atheism. . It is soley the activity of the mentioned group or body which consist of both theists and atheist. . . .

And these actions remains their responsibility and was not perpetrated in the name of theism or atheism.....

The problem with stereotypes is not only that is is untrue but that it makes one story become the only story..... Following your childish analogy, since Hitler was a catholic it then means his actions were done by catholicism. . . For goodness sake hilters actions remains his personal political ideology and has nothing to do with his theistic tilt...

You still have not shown us evil committed in the name of atheism

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by shalomm: 11:50am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

you are digressing from the main issue bro... when you mentioned soviet union, Russia, Poland. Czech and to mentioned but a few comes to ones mind... the question is, how were they Atheistic?

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:51am On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:
Your ignorance is nauseating, so Harry Hay and his association equals all atheists? You want to tell me about mass killings and persecutions without giving credit to christianity? You gotta be kidding me.

Never said the bold. You're arguing against your imagination.

I said Atheists justify their molestation of kids.

Those three are good examples.

No Catholic can justify molestation, unjust mass killings and persecutions with the religion.

The religion teaches opposite.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 11:52am On Jul 28, 2015
freecocoa:
You are dumb beyond redemption, like wtf?
He is still a kid in reason, i wonder why he just derailed the thread and steered it into catholic and non-catholic bashes when the Op was not even about catholicsm but Christianity and religion in general

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adsonstone: 11:56am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

You have proved me right with the bold.

"The Scientific Method" refers to a singular concept. That particular concept, according to you began to Characterize natural science in 17th century.

It is this concept that the modern sense of the word "Science" refers to.

Thank you.

You have said proved nothing.

So, what Galileo Galilei, did wasn't science, right?

Hypocrisy, ignorance and self deceit is really a disease.

You really need to be schooled on the history of science to deliver you from deliberate ignorance.

Lemme just brief you so you can stop displaying ignorance and hypocrisy.

Science has been around for more than 1500 years BC. It has been developed upon by so many people both christians, muslims, atheists etc.

No particular person or body can be said to have 'invented' science although many can claim to have built on it, which is very true.
There have been many pioneers of science including Boyle, Bacon, Ibn al-Haytham, Faraday, Dalton, Newton, Kepler...just to name a few.

You need more?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 12:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
Cc johnydon22
shalomm:

you are digressing from the main issue bro... when you mentioned soviet union, Russia, Poland. Czech and to mentioned but a few comes to ones mind... the question is, how were they Atheistic?
This should help. Please read the whole page and see how Atheistic govts justified killing and evil.

State atheism
State atheism is a popular term used for a government that is either antireligious, antitheistic or promotes atheism. In contrast, a secular state purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. State atheism may refer to a government's anti-clericalism, which opposes religious institutional power and influence in all aspects of public and political life, including the involvement of religion in the everyday life of the citizen.

State promotion of atheism as a public norm first came to prominence in Revolutionary France (1789-1799).[1] Revolutionary Mexico followed similar policies from 1917, as did Marxist–Leninist states. The Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (1917–1991) and the Soviet Union (1922–1991) had a long history of state atheism, whereby those seeking social success generally had to profess atheism and to stay away from houses of worship; this trend became especially militant during the middle Stalinist era from 1929 to 1939. The Soviet Union attempted to suppress public religious expression over wide areas of its influence, including places such as central Asia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by CharlieMaria(m): 12:05pm On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

How can we do that? Can you gimme any of your contacts?
Email, bb, twitter, fcbk, phone number...
Anyone.
zero8zerothree8six2eight4eightsix
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 12:05pm On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Never said the bold. You're arguing against your imagination.

I said Atheists justify their molestation of kids.

Those three are good examples.

No Catholic can justify molestation, unjust mass killings and persecutions with the religion.

The religion teaches opposite.

[b][i[You know for me to list out the atrocities committed by the church and popes through out history ranging from the killing of the knight templars and countess others won't clear the fact that the action of an individual molesting a child is bad.

Those atheist molesting kids all do so as their own individual action and it has nothing to do with atheists because atheism is not doctrine or dogma or religion, just a name labeled to people who lack belief in Gods.

Their actions are as bad as that of the catholic priests who do same in the sacristy with little altar boys all over the world of which airs in the news everyday.

But the actions of these priests are all actions of individuals and have nothing to do with other catholics or catholicism so too does the action of one atheist the sole doing of that atheist and has nothing to do with concept of atheism.

Learn to attribute individual behaviours on the individual and stop stereotyping these half baked childish fallacies. [/i][/b]

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by shalomm: 12:10pm On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Cc johnydon22

This should help. Please read the whole page and see how Atheistic govts justified killing and evil.

State atheism
State atheism is a popular term used for a government that is either antireligious, antitheistic or promotes atheism. In contrast, a secular state purports to be officially neutral in matters of religion, supporting neither religion nor irreligion. State atheism may refer to a government's anti-clericalism, which opposes religious institutional power and influence in all aspects of public and political life, including the involvement of religion in the everyday life of the citizen.

State promotion of atheism as a public norm first came to prominence in Revolutionary France (1789-1799).[1] Revolutionary Mexico followed similar policies from 1917, as did Marxist–Leninist states. The Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic (1917–1991) and the Soviet Union (1922–1991) had a long history of state atheism, whereby those seeking social success generally had to profess atheism and to stay away from houses of worship; this trend became especially militant during the middle Stalinist era from 1929 to 1939. The Soviet Union attempted to suppress public religious expression over wide areas of its influence, including places such as central Asia.

RELIGION DIFFER FROM BELIEF.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by herald9: 12:12pm On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Catholicism is my religion. It is the one I'm certain of. I don't like talking based on assumption or guess work...and I never prevented people of other religions from talking about theirs. thank you.

oh! You mean catholicism is a religion on its own... Its not part of Christianity?

Laughable to you because you're ignorant of the fact that "science" in the modern sense of the word mostly refers to the Scientific Method which wasn't practised or standardized until Franciscan Friar, Roger Bacon advanced it.
Hahaha

Someone grouped the countries of Egypt,Kenya , Ethiopia, etc and tagged them 'Africa', does it mean those countries didn't exist until then?

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 12:12pm On Jul 28, 2015
adsonstone:

You have said proved nothing.

So, what Galileo Galilei, did wasn't science, right?

Hypocrisy, ignorance and self deceit is really a disease.

You really need to be schooled on the history of science to deliver you from deliberate ignorance.

Lemme just brief you so you can stop displaying ignorance and hypocrisy.

Science has been around for more than 1500 years BC. It has been developed upon by so many people both christians, muslims, atheists etc.

No particular person or body can be said to have 'invented' science although many can claim to have built on it, which is very true.
There have been many pioneers of science including Boyle, Bacon, Ibn al-Haytham, Faraday, Dalton, Newton, Kepler...just to name a few.

You need more?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science

Science in the modern sense of the word, mainly refers to the Scientific Method. And you have said that this started in the 17th century.

See Wikipedia on Science:

In modern usage "science" most often refers to a way of pursuing knowledge, not only the knowledge itself. In the 17th and 18th centuries scientists increasingly sought to formulate knowledge in terms of laws of nature. Over the course of the 19th century, the word "science" became increasingly associated with the scientific method itself, as a disciplined way to study the natural world, including physics, chemistry, geology and biology. It is in the 19th century also that the term scientist began to be applied to those who sought knowledge and understanding of nature.

THAT was practically invented by the Catholic Church...especially through a clergyman called Roger Bacon.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

Cc johnydon22

State atheism

And this just proved what i was saying... The soviet union state atheism was a political position...Political ideologies has nothing to do others. . . You are still stereotyping atheism with the political ideology of Stalin.

And you still arguing over that obvious fact
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 12:25pm On Jul 28, 2015
herald9:

oh! You mean catholicism is a religion on its own... Its not part of Christianity?

Hahaha

Someone joined the countries of Egypt,Kenya , Ethiopia, etc and tagged them 'Africa', does it mean those countries didn't exist until then?

1 strictly speaking: Christianity is Catholicism and Catholicism is Christianity. Full Stop.

2. I speak about Science in the modern sense of the word which mainly refers to the Scientific Model which was advanced by Roger Bacon. This is the Science practised in our world today, not the ancient science that didn't fully entail observation, experimentation, verification etc.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

What Shall It Profit A Man To Gain The Whole World And Lose His Soul / The Air Force Will Now Allow Airmen To Omit ‘so Help Me God’ / 7 Things You Can Never Change Until You Change Yourself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.