Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,122 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead (22727 Views)

First Lady Mrs Buhari Stuns With Her Daughters In New Photo / Henry Abebe, Brother Of Late Former First Lady Stella Obasanjo Is Dead!!! / When Stella Obasanjo Was Cutting The Independence Anniversary Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by joftech(m): 3:24pm On Oct 26, 2005
Am not running away, i have been here since yesterday.

Abacha was protrayed as a bad leader. Those that are worse than him still wine and dine with our political leaders free. It's all propaganda. When some people don't like you they will make sure your good sides are never seen, so what do you do, you can only but show them what they portray you as. That's what that happen to Abacha.

When i come back i will continue to hold my ground.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 3:37pm On Oct 26, 2005
SO stealing $700 Mill from Nigeria is portrayed? common men. If he was in the state, He will be dinning on loafs for life.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Greatpeter(m): 3:42pm On Oct 26, 2005
joftech:

Am not running away, i have been here since yesterday.

Abacha was protrayed as a bad leader. Those that are worse than him still wine and dine with our political leaders free. It's all propaganda. When some people don't like you they will make sure your good sides are never seen, so what do you do, you can only but show them what they portray you as. That's what that happen to Abacha.

When i come back i will continue to hold my ground.

I don't really see any meaningful contributions and progress you're making here as regards this particular subject.
You're entitle to your comments sha!
So ride on but I won't waste my time any longer.
So bye but I'm not reacting again to your posts.
It aint worth it.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Jakumo(m): 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2005
Odeku, granted that Joftech may move up to eating "loaves of life" if he were to become president of Nigeria, I would still like to know if you would accept a ministerial position in the event that a new Joftech administration were to be sworn into the seat of Nigeria's power at Abuja '07.

On a serious note you are indeed right in stating that late General Abacha, who looted over 4 billion dollars from Nigeria's treasury, cannot be described with a straight face as simply a misunderstood individual who had an image problem.  Anyway, to cover all bases in the new 2007 political dispensation in Nigeria, I have taken the precaution of submitting my resume to Joftech's personal assistant for consideration.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by drbigdaddyg(m): 4:34pm On Oct 26, 2005
I want to let us know that this no more Anarchy government. I have a say, you have yours.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 5:06pm On Oct 26, 2005
jakumo, I leave politics to those who don't have shame stealing poor peoples money, I will rather work 2 jobs and have a clear mind.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Greatpeter(m): 6:12pm On Oct 26, 2005
Let's just ignore and move on.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by soko(m): 6:25pm On Oct 26, 2005
do u know what kill him. shocked i had that he went there to re new his self ,for his 60th birth day. un furtunately it becomes like this .may his gentle soul rest in peace.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by otokx(m): 7:04pm On Oct 26, 2005
i wonder if stella told oby that she was going to do such an operation?
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2005
I think Nigeria government should go after the Dr. Ramon Roige and the hospital for medical malpractice. If they can do this to out 1st lady, imagine what they will do with ordinary Nigerians?
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by nana(f): 11:30pm On Oct 26, 2005
MAY THE SOUL OF THE DEPARTED REST IN PEACE AND NOT IN PIECES(AMEN).
NO ONE SHOULD BLAME/ACCUSE THE SURGEONS BECAUSE I DONT THINK THEY COULD DO SUCH A THING.
ACTUALLY,CHIEF(MRS)STELLA OBASANJO DIED AFTER DOING A COSMETIC SURGERY WHICH I THINK RESULTED IN SOME COMPLICATIONS THAT ACTUALLY TOOK HER LIFE!
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Seun(m): 11:32pm On Oct 26, 2005
I think I read that they have 25,000 such operations in a year and so far only one other person has died (a white woman). Our first lady was the second to die from complications after that surgery.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by nana(f): 11:38pm On Oct 26, 2005
SO,I SEE NO REASON WHY THE SURGEONS SHOULD BE BLAMED.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Scorpio(f): 11:40pm On Oct 26, 2005
Hi nana, welcome to Nl cheesy
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by nana(f): 11:43pm On Oct 26, 2005
THANKS cheesy
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Scorpio(f): 11:44pm On Oct 26, 2005
you're welcome hun cheesy
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 4:09pm On Oct 27, 2005
NANA it's called medical malpractice
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by nana(f): 7:13pm On Oct 27, 2005
yes sir grin
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 10:18pm On Oct 27, 2005
NANA you and I know, if that was Laura BUSH or TONY Blair's wife, it would have gotten allot more attention than we are getting.
No one cares because she is an African 1st lady, and she is black
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by layi(m): 11:40pm On Oct 27, 2005
What else do u expect to be done?
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Owen(m): 2:50pm On Oct 28, 2005
Well...she was the first lady of Nigeria!!
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2005
Joftech if you have the means,and you start aging, you will do the same. why are all American politicians going for botox?
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 2:56pm On Oct 28, 2005
I think her death is a wake up call for all the politicians, tomorrow is not promise to anyone, so treat people with Passion and respect while you are here.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by queen2(f): 3:02pm On Oct 28, 2005
Mrs Stella Obasanjo has been buried today..... May her soul rest in peace..........
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Greatpeter(m): 3:08pm On Oct 28, 2005
joftech:

Why must the whole world put on a mourning garment for someone that technically self-destruct when people in Dafur can't get anything to eat talkless of getting common cosmetic cream/lotion.

What are you doing now to help those beggers in Oba Adesida market?
If nothing that points to the fact that you'll do thesame if you attain such position of influence.
I'm not suprised about your comments about stella's death.
Remove the log in your very eyes first before you can see the one in another man's eyes.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Odeku(m): 5:12pm On Oct 28, 2005
damn greatpeter, easy on that man, he just dont see our point.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Greatpeter(m): 5:20pm On Oct 28, 2005
Odeku, I'm ready to take him on without quarel on this issue.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by queen2(f): 10:21pm On Nov 05, 2005
I want y'all to read this article... its kind of long, but take your time and read it..

[b]The prevailing feeling in the Obasanjo's household in the wake of the death of the 59-year old First Lady, Stella Obasanjo, is a sad and an unbearable one. Mrs. Obasanjo, the first of seven children and the 12th First Lady of Nigeria, died on October 23, 2005, just three weeks before her 60th birthday in a Spanish Cosmetic hospital where she had gone for liposuction, a medical procedure to remove fat from under the skin. Mrs. Obasanjo, born on November 14, 1945 to Dr. Christopher and Theresa Abebe of Edo State, has now become the first Nigerian First Lady to die while reigning. Those close to her would describe her as a beautiful and compassionate woman, robust in her ways and zestful in her approach to life. She was instrumental to the upliftment of many of her fellow citizens through the implementation of an assortment of grassroot programs. Such programs included her spirited drive against HIV/AIDs and prostitution among teenage girls as well as her foundation, Child Care Trust, for disadvantaged children. [/b]

When I met her for the first time in October 1999, (in the U.S.), I was impressed with her demeanor and general persona. She came across as a lady with good virtue, one capable of convincing the president to do what was right. She had an amiable disposition, motherly and approachable. On that occasion, the president alluded to the fact that he had only one boss, and that was the First Lady, the only one who tells him what to eat, when to sleep, what to wear and where to go. I still have fun memories of that meeting with the closest adviser of the president of the most populous black nation in the world.

Mrs. Obasanjo was in the public eye for a long time as wife of the president. Her claim to national fame came from the fact that she signed a piece of paper with her name and the president's name on it. The mother of one, Olumuyiwa Obasanjo, the 27 year-old New York based lawyer, Mrs. Obasanjo never held elective or appointive office, but was revered as though she held one. She moved around in well-decked motorcades in Abuja and in every cities she visited in Nigeria with a siren-blaring pilot car in the lead to navigate the First Lady safely to her destination. This was contrary to the president's declaration when he assumed office that Stella would be only be known as his wife and not as the First Lady. But soon after this declaration, the cat was let out of the bag and Mrs. Obasanjo ran with it. During the 40th birthday festivities of the First Lady of Lagos State, Mrs. Tinubu, Mrs. Obasanjo flew to Lagos in the high-flying presidential jet with all the trappings of power fully encamped. On hand to receive her was an endless parade of motorcade that looked as though a head of state was in town. Moments after she arrived, another presidential jet brought in the second lady, Mrs. Titi Abubakar, also from Abuja and the same routine was repeated. This was a curious situation as both women could have saved taxpayers' money by flying in the same jet.

Mrs. Obasanjo moved around under the hawkish eyes of a well-fortified "army.' Her security detail was impressive, more than those of elected officials. This was understandable given the precarious political field on which her husband was/is the main player. Undeterred by the political minefield that is the terrain on which her husband thread, the colorful First Lady distinguished herself from others before her by carving a niche and charting a new course for future occupants of the "office". She was a philanthropist, a proud Esan (Ishan) woman who always appeared in splendid and alluring traditional garb. She displayed an infinite love for her husband and affirmed it with a kiss each time they appeared together in public functions, an act not frequently seen amongst women of her time. She was powerful and always had the president's ears. When Abacha imprisoned her husband, she rose in strong support and campaigned vigorously for his release. Against family advise, she took her case to the African Union and the United Nations where she alerted the international community of the impending doom facing her husband. Invariably, she was the president's most trusted adviser and confidant with an unfettered access to his innermost temple.

The news that the First Lady died of complications from cosmetic surgery (and not a life threatening one[/color][color=#990000][/color]) to remove fat and enhance her looks, makes her death even more tragic and in fact, a complete waste. When she left Abuja for Spain, she was hale and hearty, a woman full of life, now, she would return as a corpse because of a desire to overcome nature. In retrospect, there seemed not to be a need to fix what was not broken, but the human nature is one laden with an insatiable angst for more and this was the motivation for this purely vain procedure, to look lean and fit for her forthcoming birthday.

[color=#770077]On November 14, 2005, Mrs. Obasanjo would have turned sixty and this birthday was a special one as gathered from the names of the personalities involved. From all indications, it was set to 'up the antes' in this realm as elaborate arrangements had been made to properly celebrate this accomplishment. The festivities were too much to fit in one day, thus, they were planned to be in two parts, spreading over four days. Part one was scheduled for November 12 and would have witnessed the command live performance of Obaseki, a play authored by the famous playwright, Don Pedro Obaseki, starring Nollywood star, Richard Moje-Damijo. The festivities of part two on November 16 were of a little sober nature, as they would have included a thanksgiving church service and a well-attended reception. At this reception, none other, but King Sunny Ade, the Ondo-born master musician, had been tapped to thrill the celebrant and her guests.

In spite of her penchant to help the poor and improve the lives of her fellow citizens, Mrs. Obasanjo was human and thus, had inherently flawed nature like all humans. In life, she was also known for her expensive clothes, shoes and jewelry, which would have been on full display had death not changed the course of events. Planners and friends had already decided on the color of the "aso oke" to mark the celebrations and from all indications, "aso okes" all over the country had become very scarce as a result of this designation. Many, including the various wives of the state governors invited for this occasion, had rushed to acquire the "uniform" before the announcement of death put an end to the frenzy.

Her death comes as a shock and rude awakening to the Nigerian nation and reminds us of our mortality and the fact that death is no respecter of persons. It's like a run-away freight train that would crush anyone in its path. [b]It will come to the poor and the rich, the powerless and powerful, the low and the mighty. In the eyes of death,[/b] all are on the same level; there are no political and social stratifications to speak of, no millionaires, no governors, no mansion owners, no ministers and no special advisers. It will knock in Oshodi where the poor lives and also in Aso Rock, the ultimate seat of power as it did to Abacha. Death needs no security clearance neither does it need a visa to travel to any part of the world to effect its grip. No gates can keep it away and no walls, guns or security can stop it from accomplishing its task. Death simply makes us all look ordinary and vulnerable. That is why Nigerian politicians and leaders must strive to leave behind a good name and a befitting legacy, not riches.

The governors, ministers, senators, representatives and other politicians who siphon money and seek medical treatment overseas at the slightest cough must learn the inherent lessons from the unfortunate and untimely death of the First Lady at an early age. No matter the distance, death is there, in Spain, Germany, US, UK and Sweden. With this reality, it's prudent for Nigerian leaders to invest in the development of their country by building viable and well-equipped hospitals, to ensure that they will be in the company of loving friends and relatives at home when they die, instead of dying alone in a strange and foreign land. These politicians should realize that at the end, they would leave their million-dollar bank accounts, their foreign-based mansions, their fleet of cars, jets and jeeps, their elaborate security and fancy lifestyles and follow death on a lonely path to the great beyond. [color=#990000][/color]

With the best medical care money can buy, with access to the best medical treatments in world, the energetic, colorful and vibrant Stella, wife of one of the most powerful men in Africa was unable to postpone her appointment with death. It sneaked through the elaborate security and snatched her away, herein lies the lessons. As the nation mourns the painful passing of a woman, unelected and un-appointed, but yet able to touch many lives in a positive manner, it is imperative to also remember the deaths of those on Bellview Airlines flight 210 which crashed in Oyo State on Saturday, October 22, 2005, with one hundred and seventeen (117) passengers and crew members on board. Their deaths are deeply mourned as that of the departed First Lady.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by drbigdaddyg(m): 10:18am On Nov 12, 2005
You really did a wonderful contribution, Queen. I know it must have caused your pretty time and energy.
Keep it up.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by goodguy(m): 5:20pm On Nov 12, 2005
queen2:

The governors, ministers, senators, representatives and other politicians who siphon money and seek medical treatment overseas at the slightest cough must learn the inherent lessons from the unfortunate and untimely death of the First Lady at an early age. No matter the distance, death is there, in Spain, Germany, US, UK and Sweden. With this reality, it's prudent for Nigerian leaders to invest in the development of their country by building viable and well-equipped hospitals, to ensure that they will be in the company of loving friends and relatives at home when they die, instead of dying alone in a strange and foreign land. These politicians should realize that at the end, they would leave their million-dollar bank accounts, their foreign-based mansions, their fleet of cars, jets and jeeps, their elaborate security and fancy lifestyles and follow death on a lonely path to the great beyond. [color=#990000][/color]
This is the best part.. cool
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by deebaby05(f): 9:20am On Nov 17, 2005
Its really a mystery to see somebody 2day and the next day? DEAD.i feel for Stellas family but this is a time for our leaders to really sit up and do something for us.its a pity but for a woman of 60 doing tummy tuck? what for? and imagine the amount spent when we have a lot of people with no money for medicare,dying everyday. me i don tire for this country sha.
Re: Nigerian First Lady Mrs Stella Obasanjo Is Dead by Jolomsguy(m): 9:53am On Sep 12, 2012
cool tongue lipsrsealed cry angry grin cheesy winkWhere exactly did Stella Obasanjo died?

Is it Spain in the cause of surgery or plane crash (Bellview)?

God have mercy..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Joins Twitter, Read His First Tweets.. / #fulaniherdsmen Trending On Twitter, See Tweets / “My Son Is Not Dead” - Governor Okorocha Reacts To Rumours Of Son’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.