Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,381 members, 7,812,116 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:32 AM

How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? (29522 Views)

iPolice-Hawk Eye Crime Reporting System Launched By Police To Curb Kidnapping / Nigerian Rearrested With Heroin In India While On Bail For Narcotics Offences / UK Police Has Declared A Nigerian, Gbenga Ajibade, Wanted For Fraud Offences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by MarieSucre(f): 12:36am On Aug 02, 2015
Nihilist:

Where do these maggots keep crawling out from?

Have YOU posted anything productive on the thread?

Have YOU picked any of the points I raised and constructively countered them?

Why is my opinion grating to YOU?

The reason why you can agree with someone who has continued unprovoked personal attacks on my person, is because you too incapable of rational thinking and logical conclusion.

You need to curl up into a ball somewhere and just die cos Nihilist does not give two about you or your merry gang of _idiots

#ignored. cool
*sigh* Ok. outline the constructive points you made. Let us rub minds together.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nihilist: 12:39am On Aug 02, 2015
MarieSucre:

*sigh* Ok. outline the constructive points you made. Let us rub minds together.

GTFOH
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by MarieSucre(f): 12:40am On Aug 02, 2015
Nihilist:

GTFOH
What is that? Waiting for the outline...
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 02, 2015
Community service in public places with the inscription written boldly...
We could grab the opportunity to take pictures of him.

These too many rape cases are convincing me that its all for ritual purposes. They need to be flogged (sharia way) and forced into slavery (community service) with his new rank(rapist) on his chest and his name behind.

For example;
Hoodwing The RAPIST or INTROVERT the FTC Rapist.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Demmzy15(m): 12:47am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

I feel that I finally need to speak up since I now know that merely creating threads, pointing fingers and name-calling will no longer suffice. I am plain fed up with the hundreds of Rape cases being published in my country.
How do these cases end?
We even hear of pastors and elderly men begging the parents of the victim to withdraw their case against an offender who raped their child. And victims being shamed and blamed and at the end of the day, the rapist could relocate and commit the same offence all over again. Then some men now say that 9year old girls seduce them and witches push them to rape. So pathetic and shameful.

Okay, you may feel that it doesn't concern you but then what goes around comes around, and one day, it will finally concern you, directly or indirectly.

So, my question is.. What is the most viable way to curb sexual offences, rape and abuse of any form; against women, men, girls, boys and helpless children especially.

Do we begin to publish names and pictures of CONVICTED sexual offenders and paste them in public places?

Do we start a publication, blog, website where we put up the details of every sexual offence plus details of the rapists, then send the link to everyone we know?

Do we solicit any of our dailies to help publish these notices profiling sexual offenders and their addresses?

What do we do?

P.S: Pls, let us not talk about the NPF, or prison sentences or even any sort of law put in place that never favours the poor or the voiceless masses. Think about the physical and psychological effect on these helpless children subjected to rape by adults who later bribe their way out.

I plead that if you have links to dailies or ideas on things that can be done to proffer an effective and lasting solution to this evil debacle that has befallen our society, kindly let us know.
It is my belief that when a rapist sees his picture and name in public, it will stop him from committing the same offence again, and also serve as a deterrent to others who plan on abusing anyone in the future.

Disclaimer: My post do not cover those who were/are/will be wrongly accused of a crime they know nothing about. And only CONVICTED rapists should be exposed and punished.

Thank you.
Pls, send me a PM if you do not want to comment on this thread.
Looking forward to positive and lasting solutions.

Cc
AllNaijaBlogger
Ishilove
Cococandy
Idowuogbo
Mynd44
Freecocoa
EfemenaXY
Sambarry
Semitunde
Ijebabe
FrancisTony
Caracta
Ujsizzle
Jaybee3
Bukatyne
Shaybebaby
Miss Nairaland(Tohpahz)
Anyone with a link to newspapers/dailies
Softandmoist
Joecutie
Olashas
EggovinMma
Divsy

All ideas/contributions are welcome as long as we stick to topic.

Public flogging/lashing should be introduced, varying from 50-1000. I tell you, no would dare try it. The ladies on their own part should protect themselves by wearing right clothes. A lady should at least have a pepper spray, imagine her bag is full with chewing gum, lip stick, etc but no pepper spray..... Thats too bad.... My opinion tho grin
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nihilist: 12:49am On Aug 02, 2015
Are we talking thoretical solutions to this problem by the way?

Because I see some people calling for a database in country that cannot even carry out a census properly, and doesn't even have a national database to document it's citizens.

And Public Service Announcements? Is there a case study anywhere to suggest that a PSA can curb sexual exploitation..or even crimes of any other sort?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by herald9: 12:51am On Aug 02, 2015
MarieSucre:

My dear sister. pls pay no mind to herald9. Check my last 10 or 15 mentions and post, you will see that he and probably a cousin or friend of his(they all have the same mindset) and I have a running battle on stone age opinions such as this.
You love asss lockers, don't you?

We try to weigh the two sides before coming to a conclusion, but you guys prefer people whose judgement is inclined towards the victim.

If you follow such a pattern, how will the culprit get a fair judgement. Would you just condemn people because the committed a crime, or would you love to hear how and why they did it?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

I feel that I finally need to speak up since I now know that merely creating threads, pointing fingers and name-calling will no longer suffice. I am plain fed up with the hundreds of Rape cases being published in my country.
How do these cases end?
We even hear of pastors and elderly men begging the parents of the victim to withdraw their case against an offender who raped their child. And victims being shamed and blamed and at the end of the day, the rapist could relocate and commit the same offence all over again. Then some men now say that 9year old girls seduce them and witches push them to rape. So pathetic and shameful.

Okay, you may feel that it doesn't concern you but then what goes around comes around, and one day, it will finally concern you, directly or indirectly.

So, my question is.. What is the most viable way to curb sexual offences, rape and abuse of any form; against women, men, girls, boys and helpless children especially.

Do we begin to publish names and pictures of CONVICTED sexual offenders and paste them in public places?

Do we start a publication, blog, website where we put up the details of every sexual offence plus details of the rapists, then send the link to everyone we know?

Do we solicit any of our dailies to help publish these notices profiling sexual offenders and their addresses?

What do we do?

P.S: Pls, let us not talk about the NPF, or prison sentences or even any sort of law put in place that never favours the poor or the voiceless masses. Think about the physical and psychological effect on these helpless children subjected to rape by adults who later bribe their way out.

I plead that if you have links to dailies or ideas on things that can be done to proffer an effective and lasting solution to this evil debacle that has befallen our society, kindly let us know.
It is my belief that when a rapist sees his picture and name in public, it will stop him from committing the same offence again, and also serve as a deterrent to others who plan on abusing anyone in the future.

Disclaimer: My post do not cover those who were/are/will be wrongly accused of a crime they know nothing about. And only CONVICTED rapists should be exposed and punished.

Thank you.

Cc
AllNaijaBlogger
Ishilove
Cococandy
Idowuogbo
Mynd44
Freecocoa
EfemenaXY
Sambarry
Semitunde
Ijebabe
FrancisTony
Caracta
Ujsizzle
Jaybee3
Bukatyne
Shaybebaby
Miss Nairaland(Tohpahz)
Softandmoist
Joecutie
Olashas
EggovinMma
Divsy

U forgot to copy b0rn2fuck
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by EziAsh: 1:04am On Aug 02, 2015
[Really you approached the problem from the root.You should just have said female children and women should relocate to another planet but I wonder if that would work since men still rape boys. quote author=Freemanan post=36499893]
Your choice of wit is poor. Try harder. I approached the problem from its root but seems your knowledge on sociology is too poor so you prefer making sarcasm. I will leave you to those who will give you a surface solution. Thanks.[/quote]
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

I know you are in Nigeria so explain how these laws will help those that don't have the money nor the voice to get justice?
AS FAR AS THIS WORLD IS CONCERN,

YOU CAN'T CURB OUT SEXUAL OFFENCE, IT WILL GO ON AND ON AND EVEN WORST.

THIS RAPE CASES YOU HEAR ON MEDIA ARE ONLY 1% OUT OF THE 1000 CASES..

JUST HOPE IT WON'T HAPPEN TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND TAKE PROTECTIVE MEASURE
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by cococandy(f): 1:18am On Aug 02, 2015
@bold

Words on marble
MarieSucre:

Nigerians, the whole freaking populace need to be schooled on empathy. I like the idea behind this discussion. I also understand that the younger ones are more vulnerable than we are. But I'd like emphasis to be spread evenly. Too many psychologically and emotionally damaged women maketh not good mentors or good guardians to these youngsters.

Pls its important not to buy into the narrative that grown ass women are to blame for the rape that happens to them. Dressing is subjective. No human should be constrained by the wants or needs of another except consent is granted or there is a mutual agreement. Yesterday I wore a skinny jean, a long sweater and a grey veil around my head. Yet I still had men ogling and whistling "sister you no go come my shop come greet me".

If there is anything to be done, I would like to help.

p.s men also get molested too. Let's fight this together.

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by EziAsh: 1:22am On Aug 02, 2015
This issue needs a multiple approach.First there is need to deconstruct the male mentality.This would involve leting them understand that the female gender is not there for their pleasure.They should understand that they do not have any right over the female body, so that will mean change the way we bring up female and male children where the male child thinks he can get away with anything.This is more or less a socio-cultural approach

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by IBvoss(m): 1:25am On Aug 02, 2015
THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM IS SIMPLE.THE REAL PROBLEM IS BAIL AND WHEN THE FEDERAL LAW DENIES BAIL TO ALL RAPE PERPETRATORS THEN THEY WILL BE A SIGNIFICANT DECLINE IN SEXUAL CRIMES IN THE COUNTRY WHEN A MAN RAPING A TODDLER WILL BE JAILED INSTEAD OF ROAMING ABOUT SCOT FREE FOR A SUM OF MONEY WILL SERVE AS AN EXAMPLE TO OTHERS WHO THINK THEY CAN RAPE ANYONE AND BE RELEASED BY PAYING MONEY.
cool
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 02, 2015
There should be a weekly debate on the issue on televisions across the country. Organize orientation campaigns on the steps to take by young women and adults in reporting cases to the appropriate agencies, organizations and the police. The government should prioritize the process of indictment and speed up their sentence on sex offenses and grant lawyers the right to forensic evidence from laboratories by sponsoring materials to carry out the process free of charge and with ease.

After that the victims have to be rehabilitated and their family most be made to give them supports.

I know they will never take any step to stop the serious issue because the country is backward,the people are primitive and the president is dullard aka 'Baba Go Slow'!
angry lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by raayah(f): 1:43am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

Thanks.
Have you not seen all these #50 newspapers sold on the streets of Lagos. With Gory pictures and endless tales of people turning to snakes and blah blah and people gather to read them.

If there are enough funds, one can even print 2-5 pages weekly showing pictures and details of verified and convicted sexual offenders. The legal backing you talk about may not happen cos most of the men in charge have little or no respect for wonen/womanhood/rights of women and children and may even be guilty of one form of abuse or the other themselves.

I could not help but notice that line. I am usually in awe how nairalanders themselves abuse and bash women daily on this website. No respect at all. I remember a gang-rape case of a teenage girl on nairaland and everybody kept blaming the girl.

Rape occurs to both male and female, young and old.

Almost everyday we get a front-page post on nairaland full of men calling women worthless. Seun should encourage threads that uplifts and empowers women.

To the case at hand, I really do like your newspaper opinion. Its a step in the right direction. If the Nigerian police force is willing to co-operate, then we can win this war.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Onegai(f): 1:47am On Aug 02, 2015
EziAsh:
This issue needs a multiple approach.First there is need to deconstruct the male mentality.This would involve leting them understand that the female gender is not there for their pleasure.They should understand that they do not have any right over the female body, so that will mean change the way we bring up female and male children where the male child thinks he can get away with anything.This is more or less a socio-cultural approach

This above. Train men to understand women don't solely exist for their pleasure. You cannot lock up every woman, so why not train men to respect women and their decisions? Nigerian men feel they own women, even female children (who will one day grow up to be women).

Teach your kids that NO-ONE should touch them, not even their friends, in certain places and they should never keep secrets from their parents.

For convicted rapists and child molesters, why not plaster their names and faces on flyers AROUND their own neighbourhood, village and church and place of work. That will shame them because Nigerians hate notoriety. That is possible (after all the Catholic church notifies even your village church when you want to get married, so do the same to molesters).

Train leaders of churches and such places to counsel rape victims and their families to not sweep the crime under the table but publicly take it up.

Shoot the entire NPF. You can't change those guys (they commit too many crimes themselves) and hire new legally educated police men and women. That is out of your hands.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by raayah(f): 1:51am On Aug 02, 2015
herald9:

You love asss lockers, don't you?

We try to weigh the two sides before coming to a conclusion, but you guys prefer people whose judgement is inclined towards the victim.

If you follow such a pattern, how will the culprit get a fair judgement. Would you just condemn people because the committed a crime, or would you love to hear how and why they did it?

The OP specifically mentioned that this is for convicted criminals only.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by ebyy(f): 1:55am On Aug 02, 2015
Freemanan:

If decency from the female pack is in tact, the rate of rape or sexual offences will reduce. Hence no need for this discussion... You get the idea?
Does it mean dat the 3,9,14,15 etc lacked decency in dressing
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by GentleToks(m): 2:03am On Aug 02, 2015
How has this law or years imprisonment helped both victims and the culprits in US where sex offenders are sent to freaking years behind bar and the rest of western world? This is the question you need to ask yourself before adopting every stupid idea from the West. Ironically, the tougher the sentence in US/ Western world, the quicker the victims are killed so as to avoid justice.

The sex rape cases in US is 100% worst than what is happening in Nigeria. In US, the culprits or animals who indulge in this barbaric act usually killed their victims so as to avoid being apprehended.

The best way to approach this issue is to educate people through all available media platform and let the populace know what the victims usually go through after this rape ordeal.

And finally, any convicted sex offender should be castrated so as to sound as a deterent to others who are still nursing this barbaric plan...

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Onegai(f): 2:06am On Aug 02, 2015
Freemanan:

If decency from the female pack is in tact, the rate of rape or sexual offences will reduce. Hence no need for this discussion... You get the idea?

They rape hijab wearers up North. They rape MFM girls and women who are dressed going to/coming from work (I'm sure they don't dress indecently to work). I've read comments from males on NL saying "you are too pretty to be going out by yourself" blah blah and I've heard comments like that in real life. Most men feel they own women in our society so everything a woman does is geared towards her serving a man one day. And that service includes se.xual service, so they feel entitled to sleeping with her, whether or not she consents. And that is why we need to re-educate them.

Or to quote the OP, we can just lock up all women (no school sef), create "decent" Pampers diaper for our babies to cover them from neck to toes, sew Agbada for our little boys (so they can be decent) and see if rape goes away. After all, it is easier in your mind to change women and children rather than ask men to change.

You realise that you blaming women for dressing indecently is also saying men have no self-control and should be treated like all animals with no self-control, right?

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by easystudy101: 2:12am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

How do these cases end?

What do we do?

Thank you.

Cc
AllNaijaBlogger
Ishilove
Cococandy
Idowuogbo
Mynd44
Freecocoa
EfemenaXY
Sambarry
Semitunde
Ijebabe
FrancisTony
Caracta
Ujsizzle
Jaybee3
Bukatyne
Shaybebaby
Miss Nairaland(Tohpahz)
Softandmoist
Joecutie
Olashas
EggovinMma
Divsy

AGENT
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Onegai(f): 2:18am On Aug 02, 2015
raayah:

I could not help but notice that line. I am usually in awe how nairalanders themselves abuse and bash women daily on this website. No respect at all. I remember a gang-rape case of a teenage girl on nairaland and everybody kept blaming the girl.

Rape occurs to both male and female, young and old.

Almost everyday we get a front-page post on nairaland full of men calling women worthless. Seun should encourage threads that uplifts and empowers women.

To the case at hand, I really do like your newspaper opinion. Its a step in the right direction. If the Nigerian police force is willing to co-operate, then we can win this war.

Good idea. Let us use social media to start mentally challenging how we view women.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by raayah(f): 2:39am On Aug 02, 2015
GentleToks:
How has this law or years imprisonment helped both victims and the culprits in US where sex offenders are sent to freaking years behind bar and the rest of western world? This is the question you need to ask yourself before adopting every stupid idea from the West. Ironically, the tougher the sentence in US/ Western world, the quicker the victims are killed so as to avoid justice.

The sex rape cases in US is 100% worst than what is happening in Nigeria. In US, the culprits or animals who indulge in this barbaric act usually killed their victims so as to avoid being apprehended.

The best way to approach this issue is to educate people through all available media platform and let the populace know what the victims usually go through after this rape ordeal.

In the U.S most convicted sex offenders are banned from varios places. They can hardly get a job, their names and faces are splattered everywhere. They can never live a normal live. This is why they kill their victims because they know that the consequences of rape is bad.

However, they still get caught and justice is served in most cases.

The sexual assault cases in Nigeria are worse than U.S. The only reason why you think otherwise, is because the u.s media highly publicizes the crimes. In Nigeria, there are thousands of rapists walking the street and living a normal life. Some people even brag about it.

We even have some video proof of sexual assault cases in Nigeria. Yet Nothing is done.

This is the problem. You and I have to so something. Let us make noise and let people know there will be strict and enforced punishments for rape.

It does not seem like a big deal to you because you have never experienced it.

If your 2-year old son is raped , come back and tell me that Life in prison is not necessary and then I will believe you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by gabbytabby: 3:14am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

We know that even the toddlers and 3yrs old who get raped were not decent. We know, okay.
The question is what do you think should be done to sexual offenders so that they won't repeat the crime and will also serve as a deterrent to others.
Any ideas?

Toddlers and 3 year old not decent there in lies the thought process. Op you not looking at it from the right angle but indirectly justifying rape.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:30am On Aug 02, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

A child can't really protect herself from adult molesters. The best she can do is shout to alert others if she is cornered.
Thank you. The idea that ANYONE can really protect themselves from rape is absurd. Rape is a horrible (and usually random) crime committed by wicked criminals... Just like murder, armed robbery etc. People aren't asked to learn to protect themselves in case a murderer wants to kill them. They aren't told "we're u sitting in a dark spot? How stupid. It's your fault they murdered you o." Meanwhile rape victims are told that they should have avoided it and they had it coming by wearing this or that. How horrible.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:33am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

How do these cases end?

What do we do?

Thank you.

Cc
AllNaijaBlogger
Ishilove
Cococandy
Idowuogbo
Mynd44
Freecocoa
EfemenaXY
Sambarry
Semitunde
Ijebabe
FrancisTony
Caracta
Ujsizzle
Jaybee3
Bukatyne
Shaybebaby
Miss Nairaland(Tohpahz)
Softandmoist
Joecutie
Olashas
EggovinMma
Divsy

If you are really concerned and passionate about the voiceless masses like you have said, I think the best you can do is to flag off an NGO that will stand up for the right of the oppressed.
OR
Pick a form come 2019 and run for a political office, the upper arm of the legislature will do. When you get there, you know what to do - you sponsor a bill that any man convicted of rape should be hanged by his balls or better still very hot metal rod be inserted into his banging pipe.
It's that simple
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:55am On Aug 02, 2015
Deep topic sha. Not a complete solution, but as cococandy mentioned, reorientation is necessary. The govt should basically do anti rape propaganda. Blast stuff on the radio, put it on TV, add it to the education system, get high profile religious leaders to lash out against it, put up huge billboards, get a catchy slogan like the infamous 'police is your friend' so that even babies and illiterates can understand it.

You know in Naija as long as you weren't actually raped, every other level of harassment is regarded as no big deal. That mentality needs to change.

I was gisting with a friend from secondary school recently and she reminded me of some ashawo teachers we had. They used to go around touching us blah blah blah. My friend now got kinda pissed and said that she wished there was some way that those teachers could get into trouble for what they did, meanwhile we didn't even have the courage to tell our principal at the time.

My point is, all forms of sexual harassment (especially to minors, we were like 15 at the time nawaaa shocked) should be regarded as a sexual offence at least to some degree. If even "torchlighting" is stigmatized, than certainly rape will be.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by AreaFada2: 3:56am On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

We know that even the toddlers and 3yrs old who get raped were not decent. We know, okay.
The question is what do you think should be done to sexual offenders so that they won't repeat the crime and will also serve as a deterrent to others.
Any ideas?

It is still taken as a cavalier offence in 9ja.

Laws do exist but the means to make them work are missing.
First, people have to be enlightened about seriousness of the crime.

Police officers (many female ones) and other victim support professionals have to be trained.
To encourage victims to come forward. No need to be ashamed.

Anonymity for victims (with measures to guard against spurious & maliciuos accusations). Stiff penalty for false accusation.

Victims withdrawing cases once reported should be impossible except dropped by prosecution service, e.g for lack of evidence.
DNA database of criminals.
STIFF penalty for offenders. Shikena.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:31am On Aug 02, 2015
AreaFada2:

It is still taken as a cavalier offence in 9ja.

Laws do exist but the means to make them work are missing.
First people have to enlightened about seriousness of the crime.

Police officers (many female ones) and other victim support professionals have to be trained.
To encourage victims come forward. No need to be ashamed.

Anonymity for victims (with measures to guard against spurious & maliciuos accusations). Stiff penalty for false accusation.

Victims withdrawing cases once reported should be impossible except dropped by prosecution service, e.g for lack of evidence.
DNA database of criminals.
STIFF penalty for offenders. Shikena.
I love that stiff penalty for false accusation part... You've actually hit the nail on the head but don't you feel mobile courts are also necessary for stampede deliverance af justice? We both know how slow the judicial process is in this nation....
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nixon55(m): 4:45am On Aug 02, 2015
@OP..thanks for the topic. I understand your passion.

Most people make light of rape until it affects them closely before they start thinking of solutions. It's our mentality and reorientation is key to enlighten our people in various areas. The same way people feel less concerned when they see accident victims until one of their own is involved in an accident. I think empathy should be thought and promoted in Nigeria so that people would actually feel what others are going through to an extent.

On ways to curb sexual offences, I believe stiff penalities should be enforced. Blacklisting convicted offenders should be one them. I know we don't have a complete database but let's remember that every bank account holder has his biometric data captured during the the BVN exercise. Every drivers' licence holder has his biometrics somewhere with FRSC. Every International Passport holder has his data with the NIS. So blacklisting can be achieved to an extent if laws are made to support sexual offenders list. Laws can also be made such that schools run background checks on would be teachers/minders and made to pay heavy fines if they don't or if they falsify it.

In my opinion, rape for minors should carry life imprisonment with no option of parole. It won't stop it completely but it would deter some people. Indonesia has death penalty for drug trafficking though it has not completely eliminated drug trafficking but it has deterred a lot of people from heading in that direction.
On the alternative, if anyone is convicted of rape he should be made to join the "civilian JTF" and be shipped to fight alongside the military in the North East against Boko Haram since his mind is idle enough to think about raping someone.

Overall, everyone needs to take the campaign against rape seriously and not make excuses about indecent dressing. If you can control yourself when you see people that are not dressed decently then you shouldn't make excuses for those who can't. They just have depraved minds and should bear the consequences of their actions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Bollinger(m): 4:48am On Aug 02, 2015
The way you curb these sexual offences is the same way you curb any offence. You enforce the laws already in place. We all know that's never going to happen. Nigeria can't even enforce tax laws not to talk of laws relating to sexual offences.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Arrested In Ghana With Drugs Concealed In Stockfish / Kubiat Akpan Who Died In Police Custody Was Tortured, Autopsy Reveals / Nigerian Army Apprehends Boko Haram Sponsor In Bauchi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.