Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,956 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? (29506 Views)

iPolice-Hawk Eye Crime Reporting System Launched By Police To Curb Kidnapping / Nigerian Rearrested With Heroin In India While On Bail For Narcotics Offences / UK Police Has Declared A Nigerian, Gbenga Ajibade, Wanted For Fraud Offences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 02, 2015
AreaFada2:

He could be a serial sexual predator.

Suppose he spends 5 years in jail and is released to continue where he stopped? Who knows if he would have killed the child after to cover his tracks? Or is there a ring of abusers that he is a part of?

Thorough investigation is always crucial even when it appears glaring.

5 years of imprisonment is also another leniency, why not death by hanging or worse? Am sure a punishment that grave will serve as deterrent to prospective rapists. They shouldn't be given a chance at all If we really mean business.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
Freemanan:

To be realistic, nothing

But the government could bring in a force against this and a more offensive approach to the offenders. Children should be given proper education on this topic by parents or guardian.

Ok
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

We know that even the toddlers and 3yrs old who get raped were not decent. We know, okay.
The question is what do you think should be done to sexual offenders so that they won't repeat the crime and will also serve as a deterrent to others.
Any ideas?

Standd, no form of punishment can make a chronic sexual offender stop. And I say this matter of factly.

Like I said in my earlier post, fantasy plays a major role in the lives of sexual offenders.
The fantasy is like the drive. It's what propels them to commit those crimes.

A pedophlile that enjoys having sex with kids must have had those fantasies for a long time and those fantasies would have kept on evolving and becoming stronger until it reaches the point where the person decides to act out those fantasies.

Even if a pedophile is sentenced to life imprisonment, those fantasies will still be part of him. And they would be the only means of obtaining sexual gratification.

Even if he is in prison, and a little girl is slipped through a hole and left alone with him, I bet with you that he will still sexually abuse that girl even almost to the point of killing her.

My point is this: those fantasies of having sex with kids has become a part of him and you can't separate it form him and you can't stop him from having them.
The same way you can't stop a necrophile from having fantasies of having sex with corpses, even if you pass his genitals through a furnace.

One thing you should understand is that to a sexual offender, the thrill and pleasure derived from the crime outweighs and surpasses the fear or the punishment accompanied with being caught.

So, punishing a sexual offender won't actually deter or scare other potential or already practicing offenders from committing those crimes, it would only make them more careful when carrying out their own crimes so they won't be caught.

So the only way to deal with this is to handle it from the root of the crime, like I explained in my earlier post.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
AreaFada2:

He could be a serial sexual predator.

Suppose he spends 5 years in jail and is released to continue where he stopped? Who knows if he would have killed the child after to cover his tracks? Or is there a ring of abusers that he is a part of?

Thorough investigation is always crucial even when it appears glaring.
Imprisonment is also leniency, why not death by hanging or worse corporal punishments?
You see If we continue to take societal dismals like this with levity, the same problem will keep coming back and will continue to wax stronger. If everybody, young and old know that crimes attract severe reprimand, they'll checkmate 'emselves. If they know they can't bribe their way through with the presence of mobile courts that will give instant judgment, I believe those will pose more good than harm to the currently seemingly hopeless society.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa:

Standd, no form of punishment can make a chronic sexual offender stop. And I say this matter of factly.

Like I said in my earlier post, fantasy plays a major role in the lives of sexual offenders.
The fantasy is like the drive. It's what propels them to commit those crimes.

A pedophlile that enjoys having sex with kids must have had those fantasies for a long time and those fantasies would have kept on evolving and becoming stronger until it reaches the point where the person decides to act out those fantasies.

Even if a pedophile is sentenced to life imprisonment, those fantasies will still be part of him. And they would be the only means of obtaining sexual gratification.

Even if he is in prison, and a little girl is slipped through a hole and left alone with him, I bet with you that he will still sexually abuse that girl even almost to the point of killing her.

My point is this: those fantasies of having sex with kids has become a part of him and you can't separate it form him and you can't stop him from having them.
The same way you can't stop a necrophile from having fantasies of having sex with corpses, even if you pass his genitals through a furnace.

One thing you should understand is that to a sexual offender, the thrill and pleasure derived from the crime outweighs and surpasses the fear of being caught.

So, punishing a sexual offender won't actually deter or scare other potential or already practicing offenders from committing those crimes, it would only make them more careful when carrying out their own crimes so they won't be caught.

So the only way to deal with this is to handle it from the root of the crime, like I explained in my earlier post.
Yh, the habit is addictive! Its better to wipe em off or get em decapitated.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:26pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa:
A sexual offender's desire to prey on a victim doesn't just occur in an instant. It's something that is developed as a result of certain factors that have been in play, especially in the formative stages of that individual.

Every sexual offender has a beginning. There were factors that led to him going on to commit such sexual crimes.
And I am really interested in these factors and I believe when we know and understand these factors, we can deal with problem at the root stage.

I like to classify sexual offenders under three categories.

1)You have those that act or commit crimes out of hunger for sex or due to the fact that they are being deprived of sex.
70% of Rapists in Nigeria fall into this category and most times, they commit these offenses just once or twice before they are caught.

2) You have those that commit these offenses out of impulse and need
To them it's has become a habit. Probably they did it the first time and it worked out and they just constantly find themselves doing it again.
For them it's easier than having to wait for permission or having to pay for sex.

3) This is a category that most Nigerians tend not to pay cognizance to.
This class involves those sexual offender that commit these crimes for PLEASURE. Because committing these crimes excite them. Their sexual constructionn have been channeled to associate violence and pleasure.
To them it isn't even a crime, it's more or less a fantasy.
It's their fantasy. It's what their body craves.
Raping, humiliating, abusing, causing pain or even killing their victims is what gives them the highest form of sexual gratification there is.
And most times their means for sexual gratification is termed as weiror abnormal
Sexual sadists, necrophiles, sado-masochists, pedophiles and erotophonophiles fall into this category.

The family as we all know is the center of development as far as a child is concerned.. It's were a child's primary characters are developed. It houses a child's formative years.
It's where a child is groomed and it's were a child learns to perceive the world in a certain way

The family has a major role to play in the formation of every sexual offender. Especially the violent ones.

Every child is born with a distinctive personality and psychological make up.
When a child grows under a certain family environment, that environments have a way of acting on these psychological make up and personality of that child and in turn translating it into something different and most times, dangerous.

I am a male, so I will use a male child as an example.

When a "psychologically and emotionally" stable male child approaches puberty, he begins to develop sexual feelings for the opposite sex. All these feelings involve morally acceptable sexual behavior. Behaviors that are in the classed under the spectrum of normal.

But if something happens along the way, between infant hood and puberty or adolescence, this could have a drastic effect on that child. He could perceive things a whole lot differently.

Now what are those thing that could happen along the way that could change a normal child into a monster. These are the factors I would like to elaborate on.

One important factor that plays a crucial role in the lives of potential sexual offenders is ABUSE
And like I always do, I will divide Abuse into different classes.

First of all, you should also understand that there is the abuse inflicted on a child and the abuse witnessed but these two forms of abuse affects him differently.

Abuse inflicted on a child can also be divided into three classes
1) Physical Abuse
2) Psychological Abuse.
3)Sexual Abuse

I am not going to go into all these forms of abuse but one thing is certain, most sexual offenders suffer one or more of these forms of abuse while growing up and it affects them psychologically and tunes their minds to think and perceive things in a certain way.

I am not saying that everyone who suffered one of these forms of abuse, grows to be a sexual offender, No, but most sexual offenders suffer from these forms of abuse.

But I am more interested in the "Abuse Witnessed" and I will throw light on that.

Children raised in abusive homes have a higher probability of becoming sexual offenders. Especially sexually abusive homes.

If a child grows up in a home where his mum is always abused by his dad, either physically, sexually or emotionally, he develops the wrong mindset as to what women are and the role they serve, especially to men.

He begins to view women as objects, as possessions and as less of the humans they are.
He begins to see women as lesser beings than himself that he can manipulate and use.
And as he grows, that mindset grows with him. And unconsciously, the desire to act out those scenes he had seen on another woman would be developed.

Another factor is exposure to this abuse, through the media.

The rate at which children and teenagers are being exposed to violent sexual content these days is alarming.
I wish most of you had an idea of what teenagers these day have access to. Especially on the internet and on paper.

Exposure to graphic sexually explicit content has a way of altering the minds of kids at a young age.

When a child is exposed to such sexual content at a young age, even at teenage age, they experience an unconscious mental shift in their perception of what sex should be like and how it should be experienced.

In addition to all this, i also believe if a child isn't shown enough love, attention and care while growing up, especially on the part of parents or guardians, it could lead to that child not being able to form close relationships and personal attachments with others, and as the individual grows, he finds it hard to bond with people around and this could lead to isolation. and in loneliness and isolation from others, certain thoughts could develop in the mind of that individual.

Because the person finds it hard to form or participate in an active relationship with the opposite sex, which could also be a sexual one, he sees these forms of sexual offenses as his only means of obtaining sexual gratification.( Although this normally applies to the third category of sexual offenders I stated)

So in this isolation and most times anger, he imagines these crimes( which are often violent) over and over again until it begins to become a fantasy. And one thing about fantasies is that it can never be reached and it keeps evolving over time.
So because of this, he would have to repeat these crimes over again so he can attain that level of gratification he imagines in his fantasies.

Such a sexual offender doesn't need to see a girl dress indecently before he decides to prey on her. He doesn't need to see her expose some parts of her body before the trigger to abuse her is ignited.

These kind of offenders already have a particular type of victim that meets their fantasies.
Even if she wears mary amaka clothes, he will still attack her.

So the only way to curb this kind is to deal with the issue is from his formative stages.
And since one can't point out a child who is going to be a violent sexual offender when he grows up, the best is for parents and guardians to avoid the allowing the child to grow under such environments and conditions as I mentioned above.

NB: These factors I listed aren't just the only factors that can lead to the formation of a sexual offender, but they are the major ones.
And if parents can tackle them, it would go a long way in curbing these sexual crimes that might occur in the future.

Cc
Standd

Thank you. All these points to the fact that we need more trained psychologists, psychoanalysts and psychotherapists who are ready and willing to start a practice in Nigeria.
Developing countries and emerging markets like Nigeria can no longer hide under the excuse of traditionalism and archaic culture to do things.
Before now, terrorism was Germaine to us and so is this ceaseless, rampant cases of rape; and we need to tackle it headlong. Without sparing anyone, knowing that victims of terrorism and rape, whose lives have been ruined are human like us.

So, if people who need help can readily get help, that's a step to curbing these cases.
Sadly, Nigerian psychologists are content with seeking for jobs in banks and other firms, leaving thousands of sick people they could help hanging loose.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
Maybe if each state government would agree to train a group of psychologists who would in turn train others in the LGAs so that they can all set up a practice funded partly by the FG. This way, people who need help can access help freely and those who show abusive tendencies can be treated on time.

That said, we need shrinks in Nigeria. Plus support groups who are easily accessible and who would be responsible for rape cases resolution and stuffs.
I even think officers of the NPF should only be involved when these cases have been settled by other appropriate authorities as set up by the government.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

Yh, the habit is addictive! Its better to wipe em off or get em decapitated.

If there is a stronger word than addictive, then that word should be used in this case.

I believe the libido a sexual offender has is different from that of a normal person. The drive to commit those crimes is like compulsion. It affects the state of mind of the individual. It's like if he doesn't do it, he will die.

And once the crime has been committed, the desire to commit it again will be fueled.

And because Fantasy controls the behavior of this individual, he/she will want the crime to be like exactly like the fantasy, and this never happens. So, he will continue committing those crimes to see if can match that fantasy, which keeps on evolving and becoming more intense with time.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

Thank you. All these points to the fact that we need more trained psychologists, psychoanalysts and psychotherapists who are ready and willing to start a practice in Nigeria.
Developing countries and emerging markets like Nigeria can no longer hide under the excuse of traditionalism and archaic culture to do things.
Before now, terrorism was Germaine to us and so is this ceaseless, rampant cases of rape; and we need to tackle it headlong. Without sparing anyone, knowing that victims of terrorism and rape, whose lives have been ruined are human like us.

So, if people who need help can readily get help, that's a step to curbing these cases.
Sadly, Nigerian psychologists are content with seeking for jobs in banks and other firms, leaving thousands of sick people they could help hanging loose.

The question we should ask ourselves is if we have qualified psychologists, especially in criminal and behavioral psychology.

I doubt Nigeria has qualified shrinks and psychological and therapeutical infrastructure to handle such criminal offenders and sexually disoriented individuals.

2 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa kindly help me in the search of names and contact of agencies in Nigeria involved in Rape/Abuse cases so we can post them here.
Thanks
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa:

If there is a stronger word than addictive, then that word should be used in this case.

I believe the libido a sexual offender has is different from that of a normal person. The drive to commit those crimes is like compulsion. It affects the state of mind of the individual. It's like if he doesn't do it, he will die.

And once the crime has been committed, the desire to commit it again will be fueled.

And because Fantasy controls the behavior of this individual, he/she will want the crime to be like exactly like the fantasy, and this never happens. So, he will continue committing those crimes to see if can match that fantasy, which keeps on evolving and becoming more intense with time.
YEAH!
That's why most of them after getting caught and queried; 'when per adventure their agitated hormones have settled down', would fess that its the devil's work or would say its a spell from witchcraft. What else would they say when the urge is actually beyond what they can control? Its a pitiable dismal that doesn't deserve humane pity.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:
Niklausa kindly help me in the search of names and contact of agencies in Nigeria involved in Rape/Abuse cases so we can post them here.
Thanks
I like that you're so concerned, but forgive my curiosity, are you by any chance a lawyer or a human right activist? If positive, which agency do you work with or for?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sharp212:
Is quite unfortunate that we're in a country where the laws is only meant for the poor masses, the rich sit, sleep and wake on it,the only way this can be curbed is to set a law that anyone caught on the act will either go to jail or face death either by hanging or shooting and then take it serious, by the time the govt set's one or two Examples,I bet you,people will definitely learn their lessons because the rate of this act is getting very alarming in our country and our girls also have a very important role to play in other for this act to cut down or stop entirely.

Let us assume that an Senator is the culprit and we both know that he will buy his way out.
Don't you think printing and distributing his picture and contact, and listing his offence(s) to be distributed Nationwide will have more long-lasting effects than arresting him?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

I like that you're so concerned, but forgive my curiosity, are you by any chance a lawyer or a human right activist? If positive, which agency do you work with or for?

Thank you. The info you seek will be made public soon enough, but not yet.
Right now, I am human, a womanist and a lover of children. My passion is driven by the desire to see that everyone's right to life is not cut short or destroyed by other humans who see themselves as superior (due to position, status and faulty mentality), and others as mere objects to be used, abused and destroyed.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa:

The question we should ask ourselves is if we have qualified psychologists, especially in criminal and behavioral psychology.

I doubt Nigeria has qualified shrinks and psychological and therapeutical infrastructure to handle such criminal offenders and sexually disoriented individuals.
Yeah there are, but very limited in supply because the demand for them is on the low! For the as usual reasons, everyone is thinking af trading overseas.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

Yeah there are, but very limited in supply because the demand for them is on the low! For the as usual reasons, everyone is thinking of trading overseas.

The demand for them isn't low, it's the importance placed on these psychological defects that's "low".

I once had a friend who was suffering from a severe case of Schizophrenia and she had to be sent abroad just because we didn't have well equipped institutions to handle such here in Nigeria.

If importance and relevance is placed on stuffs like this, then we will have various institutions created to handle them.

Nigerians always have this mentality of tagging some certain psychological illnesses as 'White man illnesses' . We see it as something that doesn't happen to us, but these sexually deranged individuals keep walking our streets everyday.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, standd my sister seriously the matter is that serious o, i'm sure you see what makes FP everyday. The law doesn't work in this country so what else can we do?

Yes, I read the rape cases on FP and it breaks my heart all the time. I know that in our own little way, we can make a difference in our community. We can mentor young girls/children around us, draw them close, talk to them, be a big brother / sister to them.
We can also watch out for them too and start to speak up when we see people manifesting abusive tendencies around us.
If you are invited to be a member of a mentorship program/foundation for young pre-teenage children in Nigeria, would you give it a thought?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

Thank you. The info you seek will be made public soon enough, but not yet.
Right now, I am human, a womanist and a lover of children. My passion is driven by the desire to see that everyone's right to life is not cut short or destroyed by other humans who see themselves as superior (due to position, status and faulty mentality), and others as mere objects to be used, abused and destroyed.

You are welcome, I love all about you but for that feminist part.....
Gawd! If your womanist incorporates all the ideas of the feminist, then, we gon be so "imiscible" in that respect. Not that I'm a misogynist or something or don't buy the idea of women empowerment. Its that idea of liberation, I've always had issues with. Most feminists I've come to know use that idea as tool to disengage themselves from their responsibilities at the home front....end products; broken home, emotionally turn apart children.... Many feminists living life like the proverbial candle that illuminates the way for others but can't get its own darkness problem solved.... You're still welcome anyway, wishing you adieu.
I hope you're not like them.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 02, 2015
Niklausa:

The demand for them isn't low, it's the importance placed on these psychological defects that's "low".

I once had a friend who was suffering from a severe case of Schizophrenia and she had to be sent abroad just because we didn't have well equipped institutions to handle such here in Nigeria.

If importance and relevance is placed on stuffs like this, then we will have various institutions created to handle them.

Nigerians always have this mentality of tagging some certain psychological illnesses as 'White man illnesses' . We see it as something that doesn't happen to us, but these sexually deranged individuals keep walking our streets everyday.
Brother, we still saying the same thing. I said for the as usual reasons and this response is just one out of the numerous reasons....
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
busky101:
lol, what do you have to say in Timaya's case, what if he is the victim here(didn't say he is oh) and maybe whatever plan you have in mind was meted out on an innocent person who was just a victim of circumstance, cos i believe if it was a street boy that raped Timaya's accuser she wouldn't be bold enough to tell her boyfriend let alone spilling it on social media. So my dear, like i said this issue is beyond mankind because as long as the devil is still out there, rape and sexual abuse(including other crimes as well) will remain a norm in our society until the end of time, well unless its divine intervention.

Timaya in my opinion is just as loose and indecent as SheelaB so there's no point in blaming any of them at all. They actually fit and if Timaya is not guilty of the accusation levelled against him, he should go back to the USA and face the charges. Simple.

@second bolded, There's no issue beyound mankind cos history has been made in regards to finding solutions to life threatening issues.
Rape/abuses can be curbed and reduced to the barest minimum when humans decide to fight it without bias, corruption and pretence.

Sabrwahaqqo:

You are welcome, I love all about you but for that feminist part.....
Gawd! If your womanist incorporates all the ideas of the feminist, then, we gon be so "imiscible" in that respect. Not that I'm a misogynist or something or don't buy the idea of women empowerment. Its that idea of liberation, I've always had issues with. Most feminists I've come to know use that idea as tool to disengage themselves from their responsibilities at the home front....end products; broken home, emotionally turn apart children.... Many feminists living life like the proverbial candle that illuminates the way for others but can't get its own darkness problem solved.... You're still welcome anyway, wishing you adieu.
I hope you're not like them.

But I am NOT a femimist, not yet.
I only feel for women and children who are worst hit by the dictates and norms of a sick and twisted society.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by MarieSucre(f): 1:50pm On Aug 02, 2015
herald9:

You love asss lockers, don't you?

We try to weigh the two sides before coming to a conclusion, but you guys prefer people whose judgement is inclined towards the victim.

If you follow such a pattern, how will the culprit get a fair judgement. Would you just condemn people because the committed a crime, or would you love to hear how and why they did it?

Yes I would love to hear the culprit's reasons as much as I would love to hear Shekau's reasons.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:
http://ynaija.com/tag/child-rape-cases-nigeria/

This guy was into the things I discussed on this thread, I don't know why he stopped.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

Timaya in my opinion is just as loose and indecent as SheelaB so there's no point in blaming any of them at all. They actually fit and if Timaya is not guilty of the accusation levelled against him, he should go back to the USA and face the charges. Simple.

@second bolded, There's no issue beyound mankind cos history has been made in regards to finding solutions to life threatening issues.
Rape/abuses can be curbed and reduced to the barest minimum when humans decide to fight it without bias, corruption and pretence.

I only feel for women and children who are worst hit by the dictates and norms of a sick and twisted society.
LoL, Timaya and Sheila's case don't strike me at all. Celebrities been trapped by bit' ches ( forgive ma language) since 1800's. I mean, Sheila is one girl that wanna live a life af luxury at Timaya's expense, she wants cheap popularity and she's got it. That serves Timaya right! .... It even comes to mind how countries like USA have on ground laws that respect women, protect their rights and treats them like the rare gems that they are not minding what kinda personality or life they live. Those seemingly harsh law on men keeps men in check of their obsessions and shuts the devil in their hearts up to an enviable level when compared to wha we've in Nigeria. If a woman should sue you! You know you're in deep sh*t . LoL So ure always check mating yosef and that what we want!...
Cc standd, I used 'if' a conditional is it preposition now...
You said you're not 'yet' a feminist, I beg you, don't go there sweet , maintain the womanist that you are. All ism and schism games are very dangerous games. They're very toxic.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by herald9: 2:10pm On Aug 02, 2015
MarieSucre:

Yes I would love to hear the culprit's reasons as much as I would love to hear Shekau's reasons.
grin
Shekau ends your life completely, a rapist gives your life a new meaning. Even in the court of law, both crimes are treated differently.

At least, knowing why he did it, could lead us to know the problem and how we can tackle it. It could be a psychological problem or perversion.

You jail a psycho for two months, he comes out and commit the same crime again. You jail a pervert for two months, he comes out and give his life to chwist.

Tell me, how would you discover and tackle these two traits without trying to get info from him?
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 02, 2015
MarieSucre:

MarieSucre, I believe that just like me, you yearn to curb sexual offences and give a voice to the victims. Sometimes, you have to listen to what folks like herald9 have to say, so that you can understand the psychology behind the minds that see people as objects to be used and abused; and so learn to watch for those around you who are likely to fall victim.
Thanks for lending your voice, you already know that we can't just lie down and die cos our country is what it is, so let us continue to create awareness in our corner of the world. Little by little, we will find respite.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

LoL, Timaya and Sheila's case don't strike me at all. Celebrities been trapped by bit' ches ( forgive ma language) since 1800's. I mean, Sheila is one girl that wanna live a life af luxury at Timaya's expense, she wants cheap popularity and she's got it. That serves Timaya right! .... It even comes to mind how countries like USA have on ground laws that respect women, protect their rights and treats them like the rare gems that they are not minding what kinda personality or life they live. Those seemingly harsh law on men keeps men in check of their obsessions and shuts the devil in their hearts up to an enviable level when compared to wha we've in Nigeria. If a woman should sue you! You know you're in deep sh*t . LoL So ure always check mating yosef and that what we want!...
Cc standd, I used 'if' a conditional is it preposition now...
You said you're not 'yet' a feminist, I beg you, don't go there sweet , maintain the womanist that you are. All ism and schism games are very dangerous games. They're very toxic.

What if I wake up tomorrow and follow the path of feminism, yearning for equality and not superiority. What if I yearn for a louder voice and break free of a society that says I must marry before I earn respect, a society that says I should be good, take blows to the jaw, collect HIV/STD from a cheating husband and not complain. Because I am a woman, born in Nigeria, a limb, an apparition. Yes, I understand that the bible and Quran set a precedence and humans just follow suit.
What if I want to be human, not a part, but the whole. What if I don't want to be disrespected, insulted, abused and de-humanized.

Plenty what-ifs...

grincheesy This is a discourse for another time, another thread.
And I am NOT a feminist, not yet.
tongue

3 Likes

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by busky101(m): 2:27pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

seems like u dnt get my point at all, there is a difference between winning the war and the war being over, rape and sexual abuse can be reduced in a society and not being totally annihiliated. Its just like stealing, even if sharia law is introduced into this country today, it wont stop armed robbers, pick pockets and one chance people from operating.

You said there is no issue beyond mankind, I laugh in soweto...lets take war for instance, war has been in place since the days of Gideon and joshua of old, if its not beyond mankind, I believe that the same HISTORY you mentined should put it in its place cos its definitely LIFE THREATINING too

#As for the feminist aspect of you, jokes apart, you ought to be one because you sound like one, I said so because among the hundreds of crimes on nairaland on a daily basis including that of robberies, kidnappings, even those that butchered people and put in an echolac you are only interested in the ones that has to do with rape and female abuse...it definitely makes you a FEMINIST.lol

#happy Sunday, keep my rice and sunday chicken for me!
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

What if I wake up tomorrow and follow the path of feminism, yearning for equality and not superiority. What if I yearn for a louder voice and break free of a society that says I must marry before I earn respect, a society that says I should be good, take blows to the jaw, collect HIV/STD from a cheating husband and not complain. Because I am a woman, born in Nigeria, a limb, an apparition. Yes, I understand that the bible and Quran set a precedence and humans just follow suit.
What if I want to be human, not a part, but the whole. What if I don't want to be disrespected, insulted, abused and de-humanized.

Plenty what-ifs...

grincheesy This is a discourse for another time, another thread.
And I am NOT a feminist, not yet.
tongue
Lol, but from a Fatherly point of view, a loving brother to His sister more particularly, It's a vain path, Its not nature, Its not ideal, Its actually peril! , Its a misguided misconception lol ....Life is not fair, fair is something we made up.
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 02, 2015
busky101:
Seems like u don't get my point at all, there is a difference between winning the war and the war being over, rape and sexual abuse can be reduced in a society and not being totally annihilated. Its just like stealing, even if sharia law is introduced into this country today, it wont stop armed robbers, pick pockets and one chance people from operating.

You said there is no issue beyond mankind, I laugh in Soweto...lets take war for instance, war has been in place since the days of Gideon and Joshua of old, if its not beyond mankind, I believe that the same HISTORY you mentioned should put it in its place cos its definitely LIFE THREATENING too

# As for the feminist aspect of you, jokes apart, you ought to be one because you sound like one , I said so because among the hundreds of crimes on nairaland on a daily basis including that of robberies, kidnappings, even those that butchered people and put in an echolac you are only interested in the ones that has to do with rape and female abuse...it definitely makes you HUMAN

#happy Sunday, keep my rice and sunday chicken for me

Busky, are you saying we should just watch as things go from bad to worse. We shouldn't do anything cos we will not win?

How can you claim the first bolded when I have several other threads outlining and decrying the ills in our society. Most of my short stories have underlining lessons. I have threads on BH, Tribal and Religion bigotry, etc. All these makes me human.

@Second bolded, we eat Debinu and Coconut out here, not chicken or rice. You want?

Nihilist:

Exactly rape can happen anywhere. Does a father need education to know that maybe he shouldn't rape his own daughter?

Does a principal need education to know that he shouldn't rape his students?

Konji is a bastard and can strike anywhere...The best you can do is try to protect yourself.

Hmmmmmn.
Protecting myself is not the issue. What of the little ones who can't protect themselves? If I have the power, why won't I work to reduce the odds against them.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by busky101(m): 2:47pm On Aug 02, 2015
standd:

Busky, are you saying we should just watch as things go from bad to worse. We shouldn't do anything cos we will not win?

How can you claim the first bolded when I have several other threads outlining and decrying the ills in our society. Most of my short stories have underlining lessons. I have threads on BH, Tribal and Religion bigotry, etc. All these makes me human.

@Second bolded, we eat Debinu and Coconut out here, not chicken or rice. You want?

Hmmmmmn.
Protecting myself is not the issue. What of the little ones who can't protect themselves? If I have the power, why won't I work to reduce the odds against them.
yea, true. Sorry for calling you a feminist, I take it back..
Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 02, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

Lol, but from a Fatherly point of view, a loving brother to His sister more particularly, It's a vain path, Its not nature, Its not ideal, Its actually peril! , Its a misguided misconception lol ....Life is not fair, fair is something we made up.

Nature herself knows that humans have evolved and will continue to evolve.
You say life is not fair and I say I can call forth my own happiness, define my existence, and seek for the things that makes me complete - different from the dictates of a biased society.
It is that simple.

1 Like

Re: How Do We Effectively Curb Sexual Offences In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 02, 2015
EyeofanEagle...pls check your mail.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Man Attempts To Sell His Son To Alhaji For 100 Thousand Naira (Photo) / Gracious David West Collected N70,000 From Victim's Boyfriend / Boko Haram Leader Shekau Injured In Air Strike – Reports

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.