Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,291 members, 7,815,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture (7080 Views)

N780bn: I’ll Meet Lawmakers Today Over N50bn Payment – Shittu / Abba Moro To Be Arraigned Today Over NIS Recruitment Scam / See What I Saw About Nigerians In London Today (pictures) - Cramjones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by udezue(m): 7:51am On Mar 20, 2009
Something must be wrong with the people supporting Obasanjo but hey they are Nigerians and a reflection of the rotten entity they come from so yeah in their minds "he deserves a standing ovation" FOR WHAT?
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by mayrho(m): 8:35am On Mar 20, 2009
@all he who pays the piper dictates the tune
When sm1's father or uncle or sibling or sm1 benefited from OBJ's administration how do you expect them to speak against
@least sm people dy talk beta about Abacha
so guys when people make funny remarks glorifying OBJ's administration u know where it's coming from,
am out,
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by Nobody: 8:48am On Mar 20, 2009
Posted by: ~Sauron~
Quote from: A-town on Yesterday at 07:11:00 PM
You guys need to shut the hell up.
Nobody on this forum would have done better than what Obasanjo did so y'all better shut the F up.
I know a lot will come up and claim they can do it. Bullshit. If you can, run for the bleeping Presidency and lets see how you'll do.

U need to put a cock in your mouth. . . .

Of course, nobody on this thread woulda been a mass murderer like OBJ. . . .
His genocide in Odi Community makes Hitler look like an amateur serial killer.
OBJ is the worst president Nigeria ever had. . . . . . .He had 8 years under a democratic government and he achieved nothing.
He was well supported by world leaders and what did he put together in those years?? Nothing.

I see you are just a baby.
To open your mouth and make stupid generalizations is premature.
Firstly, OBJ is not the worst president Nigeria has ever had.
Why don't you wait till we've had other democratically elected presidents so you can have a basis to rate him on.
Genocide abi? Guess what, people are still being massacred in the Niger Delta till date so your blabbing is a waste of time.
Even the best U.S president was involved in acts that led to people being killed worldwide.
How can you say he achieved nothing. Are you telling me that the Nigerian economy remained stagnant for 8yrs.
Lets stop being ignorant.
He may not be the best and may not have performed well but i refuse to accept that he did nothing.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by GettysBurg: 9:10am On Mar 20, 2009
@ all,

Why is OBJs gist always the sweetest and hottest on any thread?

Truth is: Love him, hate him, we all just cant let him go. 

He is like the woman stripped naked on the streets of katsina, (check that thread), whom everyone around openly curses for adultery, YET all secretly longing to have fun with her.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by Lamidiobi1: 10:18am On Mar 20, 2009
why cant yaradua sentence obasanjo to life imprisonment with no option of parole? this man f.ucked nigera, f.ucked his sons wife, f.ucked his daughter iyabo and is putting his condom again to f.uck the rest of africa.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by kevd2: 10:32am On Mar 20, 2009
The support that Obasanjo's minions on this forum is a reflection of the failed society that we have in this country.It is obvious to see why Nigeria's is not working.People have no moral compass and have sold thier concience for a bowl of porridge .You dont need a rocket scientist to know that Obasanjo's second stint was a total disaster.
These students in London have done what the average Nigerian has failed to do a long time ago.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by kevd2: 10:38am On Mar 20, 2009
The only defense that Obasanjo's supporters have is that he was not the worst President and that goes to show that they are just clutching at straws and have no credible arguement.
Comparing Obasanjo with Abacha is a failure on it's own merit.Comparing him with Yaradua is like critisizing the tree without paying attention to the root.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by KnowAll(m): 10:42am On Mar 20, 2009
Obj is the father of mordern democracy in Nigeria today, there is a tendency for even a horrible leader tommorrow to out perform OBJ by a mile, because that is the laws of nature nothing in life stands still, whether u like it or not there would always be improvements u can not hold back technology or advancement.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by CrazyMan(m): 10:46am On Mar 20, 2009
Obsanjo should go and sit at home; he should stop embarrassing himself; his government was a failure whether he accepts it or not we all know that indeed he was a failure.

So going to a place like London to give a lecture should not be on his diary; what don’t he intent to lecture on? Or was he planning on teaching them how to be corrupt like he was?
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by Afam4eva(m): 10:56am On Mar 20, 2009
Willzkid:

Pls, cn sum1 help me wit da link to obj's interview on BBC . And wt does lmao mean, i'm new here.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by CrazyMan(m): 11:08am On Mar 20, 2009
Willzkid:

Pls, cn sum1 help me wit da link to obj's interview on BBC . And wt does lmao mean, i'm new here.
I don't have the link; can check it through google.

lmao means Laugh my ass out.

Welcome to Nairaland.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by larman4u(m): 11:28am On Mar 20, 2009
Poor Obasanjo is facing a hard time indeed.I always wonder why people don't appreciate good things.I am not advocating for Obasanjo but the the truth remains that we celebrate bad people,rogues and the likes while the faithful fellas are vindicated. The man is not bad as he is been painted. Though he made some terrible mistakes but you can condemn him in totality.

Obasanjo is still one oF the great men in the world TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.
kiss
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by KnowAll(m): 11:56am On Mar 20, 2009
Poor Obasanjo is facing a hard time indeed.I always wonder why people don't appreciate good things.I am not advocating for Obasanjo but the the truth remains that we celebrate bad people,rogues and the likes while the faithful fellas are vindicated. The man is not bad as he is been painted. Though he made some terrible mistakes but you can condemn him in totality.

Obasanjo is still one oF the great men in the world TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT

I agree with u, at the end of the day Nigeria is ruled by the president and 36 Governors and a minister in FCT. How can u blame the presidency for the nitty gritty of every day lives in the states. He performed his federal duties like paying up our external debt, he left a huge $52 billion in reserves, Abuja where he lives is a city to be proud of his only failings are the power sector and the bogus railway contracts then one should be asking the ministers that are in charge of those contracts questions rather than the president. The president delegates power.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by fesse(f): 2:26pm On Mar 20, 2009
When you talk of humiliation, is the incest he committed not worthy enough of a humiliation?

well said
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by kevwekofi: 3:33pm On Mar 20, 2009
One thing I love about the average Nigerian is his/her opinion on matters of national interest.

I have read all these posts and I am amazed at the issues discussed here.

I would rather like to make the following points

1. OBJ is not the problem of Nigeria. He has never been.

2. There was a time that Abacha was the devil and we all wanted him DEAD. He died and yet we are still where we are

3. Mark my words, in about 2 years from now, the blame will shift from OBJ to Ya'Adua. (Baba Go slow is still having his honeymoon like Obama of USA)

4. The Problem of Nigeria is tied to the entire electoral process. if we do things right the first time, all these problems will be gone. (Bush was a result of a flawed process and see what happened to America in the last four years)

5. OBJ committed some blunders and deserves some credit (by Merit or luck)

Nigeria : Good People, Great Nation!!!
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by g4d4f1(m): 3:56pm On Mar 20, 2009
OBJ's family should be strapped to a bomb while he takes a lie detector test.If he's found guilty he should be exchanged and made paralysed from the neck down while he's kept alive to experience pay back. No apologies to anyone related or benefited from him.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by samparian(m): 4:02pm On Mar 20, 2009
kevwekofi:

One thing I love about the average Nigerian is his/her opinion on matters of national interest.

2. There was a time that Abacha was the devil and we all wanted him DEAD. He died and yet we are still where we are

3. Mark my words, in about 2 years from now, the blame will shift from OBJ to Ya'Adua. (Baba Go slow is still having his honeymoon like Obama of USA)

4. The Problem of Nigeria is tied to the entire electoral process. if we do things right the first time, all these problems will be gone. (Bush was a result of a flawed process and see what happened to America in the last four years)

WELL SAID
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by fe32(m): 4:05pm On Mar 20, 2009
A-town:

Posted by: ~Sauron~
Quote from: A-town on Yesterday at 07:11:00 PM
You guys need to shut the hell up.
Nobody on this forum would have done better than what Obasanjo did so y'all better shut the F up.
I know a lot will come up and claim they can do it. Bullshit. If you can, run for the bleeping Presidency and lets see how you'll do.

U need to put a cock in your mouth. . . .

Of course, nobody on this thread woulda been a mass murderer like OBJ. . . .
His genocide in Odi Community makes Hitler look like an amateur serial killer.
OBJ is the worst president Nigeria ever had. . . . . . .He had 8 years under a democratic government and he achieved nothing.
He was well supported by world leaders and what did he put together in those years?? Nothing.

I see you are just a baby.
To open your mouth and make stupid generalizations is premature.
Firstly, OBJ is not the worst president Nigeria has ever had.
Why don't you wait till we've had other democratically elected presidents so you can have a basis to rate him on.
Genocide abi? Guess what, people are still being massacred in the Niger Delta till date so your blabbing is a waste of time.
Even the best U.S president was involved in acts that led to people being killed worldwide.
How can you say he achieved nothing. Are you telling me that the Nigerian economy remained stagnant for 8yrs.
Lets stop being ignorant.
He may not be the best and may not have performed well but i refuse to accept that he did nothing.

i'm with A town on this, it is very irresponsible to overule his achievements just like that and with very harsh words,, however little (i personally don't think it is)
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by samparian(m): 4:09pm On Mar 20, 2009
London Lecture: Former President Olusegun Obasanjo pelted with eggs, tomatoes
By Rafiu Ajakaye Senior Reporter, Lagos

On Wednesday, African students kept their word in London, where they besieged the London School of Economics (LSE), and warned the world that former President Olusegun Obasanjo represents the ugly face of Africa and does not merit the honour of having him say anything on any subject on the continent.

"He was held hostage for hours, with protesters throwing eggs and raw tomatoes at him. He could not immediately leave the venue even after the lecture," a source recounted from London.

Scores of protesters were injured as they engaged the police in a bid to enter the LSE building.

And Obasanjo was booed in the hall as he spoke on the unrest in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where he mediates on behalf of the United Nations (UN) Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon.

Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by samparian(m): 4:13pm On Mar 20, 2009
Someone said he was too big a target to miss.
They really dealt with him over there. Not just Nigerians but Africans. Na big Shame to baba.
Kpele, Ndo, sorri, Ka yankuli da allah grin
Luckily for him, they didnt throw shoes. Na hospital he for go from there smiley
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by samparian(m): 4:16pm On Mar 20, 2009
[b]The protesters arrived the LSE with anti-Obasanjo slogans and placards accusing him of heightening the tension in Nigeria's Deep South, introducing anti-people economic reforms, haunting down political foes, corrupt deals, and wanting to manipulate the Constitution to stand for a third term.

They arrived the venue early enough to deny Obasanjo entry into the lecture hall. He was later smuggled in through the Students' Union cafeteria.

"The NLF considers it a public duty to stop people like Obasanjo representing Africa anywhere, because he represents the same failed face of Africa. We cannot afford different versions of Mobutu, Idi Amin, Bokassa, Conteh, Marcias Nguema, and their ilk representing us," NLF Co-ordinator, Kayode Ogundamisi, said in a statement.

"Obasanjo has the traits of the worst tyrants in Africa, but he seems to have the international community under his spell. They overlook his indiscretions and scandalous crimes, and shower him with credibility when he should be cooling his heels in jail or hiding away in one remote corner of the world, far, far from decent people! [/b] [color=#006600][/color]
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by WarfyBoy(m): 6:23pm On Mar 20, 2009
so, of all the pipo for africa, na OBJ them see call

Wetin im get to even talk selffff?

that guy f, uk up don 2 much, if i get were i go lite am i go lite am
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by MEGABHROS1: 6:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
@TOPIC,
Obasanjo did his best for the nation b4 his exit. One thing we should all know is that no one is 100% okay. Obasnajo had his short-comngs while on the throne just like any human would. I want us to remember that things were already lopsided b4 he came on board. We should also bear in mind that to repair is always very tasking but destroying is quite easier.
I would like to remind us the need to respect our leaders as God chosen because no body mount that seat if not chosen by God.
Let me be particular about the Yoruba nation where OBJ came from. It quite disheartening that Ogundamisi is the one championing the course of disgrace for his leader. How many time s have we seen the hausas trying to disgrace or humiliate their leaders even when some of them actually put us in this mess we are today? You need to be in the north to see how the youth celebrate the despot,Abacha,  during  the last remebrance day in Kano. I could not even believe some words credited to some big wigs in the north about the late general. They believe in one word" NAMU" which yoruba would translate as 'Omo wa ni , e jose'.
Some might find it difficult to believe but we all need to live by it. The bible says a house divided among itself will definitely collapse. Why should Ogundamisi lead the group to challenge his brother? why not Lamido, suleiman, Chukwudi or someone frm Odi,bayelsa, say silva? Why should we always attacking ourselves. It is pity that we are still yet to learn from what the enmity btw Awo and Akintola caused us in the 60's . I doubt if the yoruba would ever learn. some say the nation is operating under a curse; if not ,why are we always against ourselves. We've all read the achievements of this man as posted by some . It is encouraging that the man left us with $55b as against $3b he met  in the foreign reserve. You will all live to see what this incubent will leave for us after his tenure as his former finance minister was busy arguing for foreign loan b4 his removal.
come to thinkof it, cant we just borrow some cue from the north. We all know these people were at disadvantage at the time we were to gain independence. Why were they the most favored for presidency? Let's ask ourselves why they are still  dominating us politically. Are the yorubas and Ibos not more qualified to rule?But there is one thing among them,I meanthe hausas, that satnd them out:UNITY. Ask ursef how many mediocres are in NNPC, NITEL, etc  today all in the name of coming from the north? How many of our so-called learned yorubas are roaming the street with nothing to lay their hands on. This is because we dont like ourselves. We can only stop this menance by accepting our short-coming and not necessarily washing our dirty linen outside. If we dont stop this, I believe one day some one somewhere might also dust the book and open the accounts of Ogundamisi, and this might be a clog in his wheel.
Enof of this nonse from the same household, Let's learn to tolerate one another.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by wirinet(m): 7:34pm On Mar 20, 2009
kevwekofi:

3. Mark my words, in about 2 years from now, the blame will shift from OBJ to Ya'Adua. (Baba Go slow is still having his honeymoon like Obama of USA

I strongly disagree with you on this point. I want to state that 80% of Nigeria's problem started with OBJ. I understand a lot of yorubas would not want to see it that way, i understand, Nigerians are very sentimental people, we think with our hearts and not our head.

If you want confirm this assertion we have to back in history, It was OBJ that created Abacha and IBB. In fact OBJ was the Godfather of Abacha and IBB, and it was he that saw that they gained rapid promotion in the army. Remember Danjuma's advice that Abacha should be retired at the rank of Major which OBJ declined. IBB was alleged to do all OBJ's dirty work while they were at AFRC. Its also known that IBB was paying for OBJ's Godfathership, that he almost single handedly, with danjuma and abulsalami, foisted OBJ on Nigerians from prison.

Also it was OBJ that foisted Shagari ( a school teacher)on Nigerians as against Awolowo. Finally OBJ crowning glory was to foist a sick president on Nigeria (a man about to retire to his village). And some one will say OBJ is not Nigeria's problem?

On the flip side I can say OBJ is the Luckiest man alive, things always seems to work for him, and opportunity for greatness is always thrusted on him. His reigns always corresponds to very high oil prices and as soon as he leaves oil prices always crashes. And that is why we always have the illusion that he has good economic policies. Also international trends always seems to suit his government. In the new millennium, western nations as a policy wanted to write off third word debts, with counties like Ghana getting complete debt forgiveness, but Nigeria got about half our debt forgiven. Also GSM technology was ravaging the planet and counties like benin republic and Sudan quickly joined the revolution, But Nigeria a late comer made the most nice and made tons of dollars selling the license.

The reason why LSE and UN will always honour OBJ is that he sees himself as a world statesman and is ready to dance to their wishes. I cannot imagine any other Nigeria leader (Abacha inclusive) that would give away Bakassi without a fight). The west is just trying to show appreciation to OBJ for that.

Finally, i make bold to say that Nigeria would have been very different without the person of Olusegun Obasanja
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by MrCrackles(m): 7:37pm On Mar 20, 2009
MEGA BHROS:

@TOPIC,
Obasanjo did his best for the nation b4 his exit.

Did he pay for you to browse the internet as well?

Will you get the fuc.k out of that cyber cafe now!
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by iReport: 7:41pm On Mar 20, 2009
Did he pay for you to browse the internet as well?

Will you get the fuc.k out of that cyber cafe now!
Didn't he do his best? what's your problem with that man?. I suspect tribal hatred in your comments. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by GettysBurg: 8:31pm On Mar 20, 2009
@ Wirinet,

Why do we blame OBJ for every wrong thing about nigeria, and for the good things, we ascribe to luck or coincidence? WHY?

Isnt that bias? Someone once mentioned that soludo alone was responsible for the banking boom, Okonjo Iweala for the debt cancellation, Dora Akunyili for Nafdac's progress, Ribadu for anti-corruption drive, etc, and not OBJ. Funny. Rather he said, OBJ is responsible for practilly all the bad things in Nigeria, assasinations, fuel queues, teachers strike, and maybe even students failure in exams.

The earlier we give this man OBJ the credit he deserves, the sooner our country will begin to develop.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by MrCrackles(m): 8:35pm On Mar 20, 2009
iReport:

Didn't he do his best? what's your problem with that man?. I suspect tribal hatred in your comments. undecided undecided undecided

For your info, i am not one of them tribalistic buffoons around here

Everyone knows Brashy aint one!
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by Pepeye(f): 11:00pm On Mar 20, 2009
He should wake up and realise he got nothing to pass on except corruption
One of the biggest failures Nigerians were misfortune to ever have
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by londoner: 3:08am On Mar 21, 2009
The point is not just about Obasanjo's percieved wrongs or rights. It is about the rights of Nigerians to express to their leaders what they think of them. Nigerians for too long have laid their own human rights aside, in order not to make the political elite feel too uncomfortable in public.
Nigerians had the right to turn up and cheer him if they wanted to, its their right.

When president Bush came to London the first time after going into Iraq, over one million people marched at Westminster (including me). They told him to go home and that he was not wanted. It is our right. Nigerians have just gotten too used to not using theirs. If Obasanjo did good things, he should be applauded for them, but for a country like Nigeria to really change and hold leaders account, we must express what we feel when they fall short of us.

We have done the prostrating for too long, and thats why they are unaccountable until date. Bravo to those students, I hope it sparks similair reaction the world over when Nigerian politicians visit.

Being a president is not the same as being a monarch.

I think one Fela song describes what has been happening "suffering and smiling".

Now I hope this news was televised all over Nigerian Tv and mentioned on the radio, Nigerians need to be resensitised, especially at the ballot box.

I am very happy at this news, you see, citizens who live in democracies do not fear protest.
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by KazuyaM(m): 8:36am On Mar 21, 2009
Look at all these people saying OBJ does not deserve this!! Untill they suck your country dry that you will start saying they deserve this!!
Re: Protest In London Today Over Obasanjo's Lecture by Cezens(m): 12:08pm On Mar 21, 2009
what sort of a person is saying that protesting ur disagreement anywhere is akin to disgracing ur country?

i would be disappointed if all of u are going to stay there and continue to let a man who had a chance to move Nigeria forward and not only blew it but encouraged low standard continue to appear saintly and assume important positions on our behalf.

we have done away with obj and so should the international community if they wish to identify with our aspirations.

[color=#000099][/color]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Campaign Thread For Buhari/osibanjo#apc #gmbvolunteers(pics) / NEDG Fixes Presidential Debate For March 22. / Nimbo Community Seeks N17bn Compensation Over Herdsmen Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.