Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,238 members, 7,957,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:54 PM

New York Vs London - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New York Vs London (92165 Views)

Nigerian Man With Valid US Visa Arrested At JFK Airport In New York / Congratulations To Arik Air On Completing First Lagos To New York (jfk) Flight! / New York Vs London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 26, 2009
Oh dear! I'm afraid AngieFan is a lot more persuasive cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: New York Vs London by blackspade(m): 7:42pm On Mar 26, 2009
Those London pictures nearly put me to sleep. . .

. . .but I must say the greenery and open space that London has to offer by far outdoes that of NYC.
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 8:22pm On Mar 26, 2009
blackspade:

. . .but I must say the greenery and open space that London has to offer by far outdoes that of NYC.

Open space? u're kidding me.
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 10:03pm On Mar 26, 2009
blackspade:

'Bad Belle' doesn't suit you. cheesy

afam4eva:

Open space? u're kidding me.

London has over a thousand public parks, commons and other open spaces.

My favourite is Hyde Park located in West London.

Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 26, 2009
Abeg, even Some florida Cities can top those London pics undecided
Re: New York Vs London by Hauwa1: 1:48am On Mar 27, 2009
I agree with you Ebony.

those towers in London, are they all churches? old church buildings all over london? i don't know you tell me Angie
Re: New York Vs London by Ndipe(m): 1:54am On Mar 27, 2009
Nigerians arguing which city is better than the other. Like would you think Londoners or NYkers would be arguing over which Nigerian city is better than the other. Give us a break!
Re: New York Vs London by blackspade(m): 3:53am On Mar 27, 2009
Ndipe:

Nigerians arguing which city is better than the other. Like would you think Londoners or NYkers would be arguing over which Nigerian city is better than the other. Give us a break!
Ma guy, it's all in good spirit. wink
Re: New York Vs London by Ndipe(m): 4:00am On Mar 27, 2009
blackspade:

Ma guy, it's all in good spirit. wink

Oh, wait a minute! Oyibos did during the Scramble for partition of Africa, when the French and the English were debating on the merits and cons of colonizing one country over the other. Give it to the French for they colonized more countries in West Africa than their English counterparts. And I wont be surprised if they also had pictures of our continent then, pinpointing and arguing on which land in Africa was ripe for conquest.
Re: New York Vs London by DisGuy: 5:00am On Mar 27, 2009
Without the tags Afam attached to his pics those tall boring square rectangular glass buildings could pass for anywhere else Tokyo, Los Angeles etc etc But looking at the Pics post by Angie the character/personality of little London shines through not bland and straight building in new york,

Think about it, residents and tourists alike actually spend hours pouring at the architecture and history of building in London unlike New York; where the buildings are all the same, the buildings are so boring they decided to add some fancy lights to it-how sad, even more depressing is the fact that these building are covered bwith tacky adverts-how desperate! just shows they cant make money from tourist so they paint it with tacky adverts of condoms, botox, boob jobs yuck yuck yuck
Re: New York Vs London by DisGuy: 5:03am On Mar 27, 2009
Have you noticed most of the pictures posted by afam are night pictures, basically trying to cover the tacky sights with the lights

look at the picture of daytime below!!
even Fashola wont allow this eyesore in Lagos!  tongue

Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 5:05am On Mar 27, 2009
where's the advert for "condoms and boob jobs"  . Also Oxford Circus looks "worse" than that pic below
Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 27, 2009
B4 i comment on this thread i will like to ask a simple question

@AFAM, HAVE U EVER BEEN TO NEW YORK?
Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 27, 2009
femilangy:

B4 i comment on this thread i will like to ask a simple question

@BIGMODO, HAVE U EVER BEEN TO NEW YORK?

i have been to new york and london many times in my dreams. So u know how that place is? I have even gone around the city more than people that have been there.
Re: New York Vs London by shotster50(m): 7:33am On Mar 27, 2009
The poster has already made it clear he hates London even though he admittedly hasnt been there. Do not expect any objective arguement from him.
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 8:06am On Mar 27, 2009
*Hauwa*:

I agree with you Ebony.

those towers in London, are they all churches? old church buildings all over london? i don't know you tell me Angie

Some are Churches, some castles, some palaces all built centuries ago. For some to suugest that they be knocked down to make way for a glass skyscraper is highly ludicrous. There are nearly a 100 churches, chapels and Abbeys in London (not the whole of the UK) which are over 200 years old.

A couple of the most famous are St Margaret's Chapel originally built in the 12th century and then rebuilt in 1486.

Interior

Westminster Abbey originally founded in 616 . First stone building in 1065 survived fires, bombs with constant regeneration throughout the centuries with the last major regeneration in the 18th century. hundreds of historical people have had their funerals, weddings or are even buried or commemorated there including Shakespeare, Charles Dickins, Queen Victoria, Oscar Wilde, Jane Austen etc. This church is a world heritage site

Westminster Abbey in the 1700s.

Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 11:46am On Mar 27, 2009
Dis Guy:

Without the tags Afam attached to his pics those tall boring square rectangular glass buildings could pass for anywhere else Tokyo, Los Angeles etc etc But looking at the Pics post by Angie the character/personality of little London shines through not bland and straight building in new york,

And tell me if those london pics can not pass for any european city.
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Mar 27, 2009
Dis Guy:

Think about it, residents and tourists alike actually spend hours pouring at the architecture and history of building in London unlike New York; where the buildings are all the same, the buildings are so boring they decided to add some fancy lights to it-how sad, even more depressing is the fact that these building are covered bwith tacky adverts-how desperate! just shows they cant make money from tourist so they paint it with tacky adverts of condoms, botox, boob jobs yuck yuck yuck

Was new york built to be a tourist attraction in the first place? the answer is NO. It's true that london had existed centuries b4 New york. New york is the commercial and financial company that's why every Fortune 500 company is dying to have their headquarters in New york. If you ask those companies where they'll like to have their headquarters, u know what they'll tell you.
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 11:59am On Mar 27, 2009
It's obvious those that are in support of loondon make their daily bread from that city and most of them were refused visa to American so they had no choice than to settle for London.
The fact that u were refused an american visa does not mean you shouldn't be objective, i'm sure the American embassy has reasons for refusing people visa.
Re: New York Vs London by Afam4eva(m): 12:02pm On Mar 27, 2009
London should try to built more infrastructures on the outskirts of london as instructed by the IOC, because of it's stuffy nature.
Re: New York Vs London by vanitty: 12:03pm On Mar 27, 2009
afam4eva:

It's obvious those that are in support of loondon make their daily bread from that city and most of them were refused visa to American so they had no choice than to settle for London.
The fact that u were refused an american visa does not mean you shouldn't be objective, i'm sure the American embassy has reasons for refusing people visa.

will you stop being silly and spewing rubbish.
The fact that i don't think newyork is the best doesn't mean i was refused visa cos i wasn't and i don't make my livelihood from london
Re: New York Vs London by ilaugh1: 12:05pm On Mar 27, 2009
meaningless thread.
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 2:50pm On Mar 27, 2009
afam4eva:

And tell me if those london pics can not pass for any european city.

Which pics can pass for any in a European City?

afam4eva:

Was new york built to be a tourist attraction in the first place? the answer is NO. It's true that london had existed centuries b4 New york. New york is the commercial and financial company that's why every Fortune 500 company is dying to have their headquarters in New york. If you ask those companies where they'll like to have their headquarters, u know what they'll tell you.

London wasn't built to be a tourist city either. Besides every major Bank in the world has a branch in London.

afam4eva:

Spoken like a true British visa reject. Actually it is the other way around. Most people are refused Visas to the UK, get one for the US and start expressing their bitterness about not getting the highly valued British visa by slagging off the UK. grin grin

i_laugh:

meaningless thread.

This thread is quite interesting. Love the pics of New York and the ones I found of London. Not too keen on the negative comments though.

Your comment on the other hand is quite meaningless.
Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 3:14pm On Mar 27, 2009

grin cheesy tongue
Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2009
AngieFan:

Spoken like a true British visa reject. Actually it is the other way around. Most people are refused Visas to the UK, get one for the US and start expressing their bitterness about not getting the highly valued British visa by slagging off the UK. grin grin

Um sorry. Everyone knows getting a British visa is 100X easier than a American one. Majority of my secondary school mates had to settle for the UK after being rejected at the American embassy many times. Why else is London pretty much Lagos? It's not even about being competitive now, most people that arent in denial are well aware of how hard it is to get an American visa
Re: New York Vs London by SeanT21(f): 3:42pm On Mar 27, 2009
Safety~~~London is not as safe as New York.I have read many news online about people getting stab in broad daylight by Chavs.

Privacy~~CCTV is everywhere in the city.They watch your every move.

Diversity~~New York is full of every nationality.

Affordibality~~London is expensive.REALLY EXPENSIVE!!

here are some quotes,

"A new report has found that Londoners are six times more likely to be robbed or assaulted than New Yorkers, that their cost of living is nearly 40% higher, and that their largest university, the University of London, has just 125,000 students, compared with the City University of New York's 450,000 students."

"New York is also a more affordable city, the report finds. Citing a 2007 survey from Mercer Human Resource Consulting, London became the second most expensive city in the world behind Moscow last year, climbing from fifth place. New York dropped five places, to rank 15th."

"New York is also a more global city, as defined by its hosting more firms that have offices in at least 15 cities around the globe, according to the Globalisation and World Cities Group. While London is the most popular location for European headquarters of international businesses, "New York has the edge in terms of total numbers of global firms," the study found."

"New York also comes out on top in terms of crime. It is among the safest cities in America, with violent crime dropping 75% over the past 12 years, and the murder rate last year at its lowest level since 1963. London, meanwhile, has seen violent crime on the Underground rise 14% between 2004 and 2005, according to the British Transport Police, and its street crimes skyrocket more than 40% between 2001 and 2002."

Source:http://www.nysun.com/new-york/ny-fares-well-vs-london-in-a-new-study/83495/
Re: New York Vs London by Beaumont: 4:01pm On Mar 27, 2009
Comparing UK and US crime stats is meaningless. Many crimes treated as serious in the UK are down graded in the US.

new yorks so called 'safest city' boast is also contentious, crime figures are downgraded or simply not recorded so as not to damage the coverted 'safest city' status.

London is expensive - supply and demand

so what if London is CCTV city!
Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2009
Til today their so called CCTVs havent found the guys who robbed the jewelery store. Instead they accused a black football player with a CAST.
Re: New York Vs London by Kc0022000(m): 8:50pm On Mar 27, 2009
New York! New York! UP NYC. London carry go cry
Re: New York Vs London by AngieFan(f): 10:26pm On Mar 27, 2009
DeReloaded:

Um sorry. Everyone knows getting a British visa is 100X easier than a American one. Majority of my secondary school mates had to settle for the UK after being rejected at the American embassy many times. Why else is London pretty much Lagos? It's not even about being competitive now, most people that arent in denial are well aware of how hard it is to get an American visa
Why are you apologising and who is 'Everyone'?

A huge majority of Nigerians in the UK and have sneaked into the country on a crate on a crate. grin grin grin

America has the visa lottery program and plenty of others designed to increase immigration. That plus it is also quite easy to sneak into America through the Mexican border and that is the reason why California and every US state which has a shares a border line with Mexico has essentially been eaten up by their South American neighbours. Illegals can stay in America for years on end before applying for a visa without returning back to their country while in the UK that is impossible. So just because a few of your mates are in the UK it doesn't negate the fact that the American visa is easier to obtain that the British one.

DeReloaded:

Til today their so called CCTVs havent found the guys who robbed the jewelery store. Instead they accused a black football player with a CAST.

Did the accused black footballer get arrested in London?

@Seant21

Give it a rest! No way is New York safer than London. It is always laughable when people start quoting percentages and not actual figures. New York has one murder for every 16,600 inhabitants, while London has one for every 38,900. Have you ever questioned the reason why the NYPD are always armed to the tilt with guns while the London Bobbie can get away with carrying just a truncheon? grin grin. Please be real. Quoting the number of university figures is also silly. Of course you are going to get more people attending NYU. It is a bigger university and so has the capacity to accept more students than UCL!Duh!
Re: New York Vs London by Nobody: 10:29pm On Mar 27, 2009
AngieFan:

A huge majority of Nigerians in the UK and have sneaked into the country on a crate on a crate. grin grin grin

America has the visa lottery program and plenty of others designed to increase immigration. That plus it is also quite easy to sneak into America through the Mexican border and that is the reason why California and every US state which has a shares a border line with Mexico has essentially been eaten up by their South American neighbours. Illegals can stay in America for years on end before applying for a visa without returning back to their country while in the UK that is impossible. So just because a few of your mates are in the UK it doesn't negate the fact that the American visa is easier to obtain that the British one.

@Seant21

Give it a rest! No way is New York safer than London. It is always laughable when people start quoting percentages and not actual figures. New York has one murder for every 16,600 inhabitants, while London has one for every 38,900. Have you ever questioned the reason why the NYPD are always armed to the tilt with guns while the London Bobbie can get away with carrying just a truncheon? grin grin. Please be real. Quoting the number of university figures is also silly. Of course you are going to get more people attending NYU. It is a bigger university and so has the capacity to accept more students than UCL!Duh!

AngieFan:

@Seant21

I've being seing the same London picshurs ova and ova.

It's becoming quite boring. No variety in London?
Re: New York Vs London by DeReloaded: 10:39pm On Mar 27, 2009
A huge majority of Nigerians in the UK and have sneaked into the country on a crate on a crate.

That doesnt change the fact that it's easier to go there than the States.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Deer Was Killed After Flood Forced It Out Of Its Habitat In Delta / Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family / Fearless Russian Lady Goes Fishing In A Tiny Boat With Giant Brown Bear (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.