Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,723 members, 7,955,712 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:34 PM

Submission In Marriage - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Submission In Marriage (14800 Views)

Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / 61-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After 40 Years In Marriage. Photos / What We Men Really Pray For In Marriage (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Submission In Marriage by buggaboo: 11:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
Let's use a project as an analogy.
You have the:
Project Manager, Business Analyst, Engineers e.t.c

All roles are very important but it is the project manager who directs the project. He is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the project.

The husband is the project manager in the home. He can consult with the other experts (wife), but the final decision comes from him.

There cannot be two project managers on one project.

2 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by Caracta(f): 11:56pm On Aug 16, 2015
Bibol:

Bet my inlaw you know that ain't petty na

If I hear say I know tongue

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 12:00am On Aug 17, 2015
thorpido:
To the critics of the bible who say the bible speaks from both sides of the mouth or people giving their own definition to words e.t.c.
The bible was not written in english and so words written in the english bible were translated.Some words could mean more than one meaning e.g knowledge could be eido or ginosko and they don't mean the same thing.Learn about the Septuagint.
Submit as used in the bible could be hupakoe or hupotasso.
Hupakoe means to obey or subject to.Hupotasso means to be at a disposition of another.It also means to lift one up to a level of worthiness.When the bible says a woman should submit,it's talking about Hupotasso.
What's wrong with a woman elevating her husband to a level of worthiness?Of course it goes both ways as shown in other bible verses.

Good one

Another way of putting it is esteeming your husband above yourself kiss
Re: Submission In Marriage by Jamean(f): 7:09am On Aug 17, 2015
I have tried to walk pass this thread. embarassed

Submission bla bla bla. These things are not as complicated as people make them look. I think it basically depends on the relationship with your partner.

These days I observed that the literate and exposed men don't get all worked up with it. They just ensure there is effective communication with their spouse, mutual respect and every one is responsible. These days some men even let the woman make most of the decisions especially when you have a wise woman. It doesn't displace you as head.

Ironically, I observed that it is even the men that are not well to do that are overwhelmed with the strict submission thing. Like: greeting him good morning my Oga as if you are his apprentice. Ensure you prepare food when you are not physically fit to.

I knew of an illiterate driver that subdued and intimidated his wife in the name of submission. Even at his sick bed she was full of fear of him that she can't think or make decisions. Love has no fear.

Cc MarvellousGod

5 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 17, 2015
^^^^^ @ Jamean, you're so right. . It all depends on you and your partner. . Submission isn't complicated. .

But it isn't peculiar to illiterates, though maybe more prevalent because they'll like to show their wives that even with their uni education et al, I'm still the boss grin
Some educated men treat their wives as such too..

I think it's more of an individual thing and the kinda love and understanding btw you and your spouse. ..
Re: Submission In Marriage by limamintruth: 8:40am On Aug 17, 2015
bukatyne:

Thanks a lot and apologies NOT accepted.

Two green cocks, one yellow goat, the third eye of a lion and the tusk of an elephant pregnant with triples

And all will be well again.

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Submission In Marriage by Chidoks(f): 9:03am On Aug 17, 2015
bukatyne:

@Bolded:

What is wrong with a man respecting you? What is your definition of respect?

@post:
It is human nature to yield to people who treat you with love and respect

Even an 'egoless' woman will lock horns with you If you do not treat her with respect.

Okay i didn't put that well..what i meant was that he won't only respect you but would show it by making sacrifices for you and fulfilling all his duty and obligations to you. if he doesn't respect you he wouldnt want to please you na.
Re: Submission In Marriage by jossy26: 9:03am On Aug 17, 2015
People get too serious with little things, both partners should understand what works for them and they live with it and not pock-nosing or comparing their lives with someone else s
Re: Submission In Marriage by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 17, 2015
Richiy:
What men want is respect. Just give it to them and you would find him trying so hard to please and protect you.

You are blessed with wisdom...mwaaa
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 11:02am On Aug 17, 2015
Chidoks:

Okay i didn't put that well..what i meant was that he won't only respect you but would show it by making sacrifices for you and fulfilling all his duty and obligations to you. if he doesn't respect you he wouldnt want to please you na.

I get you now

Thanks a lot
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 11:03am On Aug 17, 2015

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by 5minsmadness: 11:05am On Aug 17, 2015
Chidoks:
cocacandy, the thing is this.when you go all out to sincerely respect a man, he grows soft towards you.he tends to listen to you because you respect him.
Every man that is worth it sees himself as the boss, the captain of the ship called marriage.he had his ego.all you berd do is to massage his ego by respecting him.not necessarily being a fool but meekness that would reach out to his soul and soften the hardest part of him.once you get to that point, that man would have the urge to give back.
Now the only way he can give back is not to respect you.no.it's by seeking to please you.he shows it by doing things that will make you happy.he will do things he wouldn't have naturally done just to please you; things you may or not have asked for.
at this point if you stop he stops but if you continue you lead him on and this man will provide, protect, abd defend you with all he's got.
On the other hand if you show him that you are equal, competition starts.he will be compelled to maintain his top position which manufests in wickedness, rejecttion, and beating
Wow.
If I wasn't already hitched, u'd be the first Lady on this forum that I'd pm.
Re: Submission In Marriage by 5minsmadness: 11:40am On Aug 17, 2015
Onegai:

You have restored my faith in Christians. Thank you for this. Thank you so much.

This is awesome. A thread in Family section that is sane. We need to keep a lot of people out more often grin

Submission got abused, which is why women struggle with it. I naturally respect some people because of what they are, not because they're male or older.

This is because the people that go about INITIATING trouble are already here. The more civil people are the ones who respected the op and kept out. Else this thread would have been derailed long ago.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Submission In Marriage by Jahblessme: 12:24pm On Aug 17, 2015
Can't say if im submissive or not,I know I have things which I have very strong opinions about and its hard or almost impossible for me to accept anything different.Dh is much more flexible.

It's a crazy but happy mix.I feel that when you are with a sensible man who you know loves you and would hurt himself first before hurting you,its easier to say okayyyyy make the final decision.Even if you are not happy with it,but you know that final decision is coming from a good place.

I prefer compromise,a little of my opinion and a little of his.That way, everyone feels they've contributed something and that their opinion counts.

We also have our strengths and weaknesses.There are some things that I absolutely have the final say in as I am more of an expert in that area.There are some things I can't even argue about and he definitely beats me hands down.The point is that the most sensible option wins out in the end.

I know i will not bend to anything that fundamentally repulses me.If you want to fall into a ditch,i will NOT follow you there because of submission,lai lai.

Maybe I'll change later and be more submissive as the Bible commands? Sometime in future?Maybe when I'm 90. cheesy

We are happy with our setup and that's ALL that matters to me.We have never even discussed this submission thing ever.What we do works for us.

Live in a way that you and your Dh get the best out of each other.

*back to troll mode*

2 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by babygirlfl: 12:29pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jahblessme:
Can't say if im submissive or not,I know I have things which I have very strong opinions about and its hard or almost impossible for me to accept anything different.Dh is much more flexible.

It's a crazy but happy mix.I feel that when you are with a sensible man who you know loves you and would hurt himself first before hurting you,its easier to say okayyyyy make the final decision.Even if you are not happy with it,but you know that final decision is coming from a good place.

I prefer compromise,a little of my opinion and a little of his.That way, everyone feels they've contributed something and that their opinion counts.

We also have our strengths and weaknesses.There are some things that I absolutely have the final say in as I am more of an expert in that area.There are some things I can't even argue about and he definitely beats me hands down.The point is that the most sensible option wins out in the end.

I know i will not bend to anything that fundamentally repulses me.If you want to fall into a ditch,i will NOT follow you there because of submission,lai lai.

Maybe I'll change later and be more submissive as the Bible commands? Sometime in future?Maybe when I'm 90. cheesy

We are happy with our setup and that's ALL that matters to me.We have never even discussed this submission thing ever.What we do works for us.

*back to troll mode*

Thank you for this beautiful piece once again.

2 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by lezz(m): 1:40pm On Aug 17, 2015
Chidoks:
cocacandy, the thing is this.when you go all out to sincerely respect a man, he grows soft towards you.he tends to listen to you because you respect him.
Every man that is worth it sees himself as the boss, the captain of the ship called marriage.he had his ego.all you berd do is to massage his ego by respecting him.not necessarily being a fool but meekness that would reach out to his soul and soften the hardest part of him.once you get to that point, that man would have the urge to give back.
Now the only way he can give back is not to respect you.no.it's by seeking to please you.he shows it by doing things that will make you happy.he will do things he wouldn't have naturally done just to please you; things you may or not have asked for.
at this point if you stop he stops but if you continue you lead him on and this man will provide, protect, abd defend you with all he's got.
On the other hand if you show him that you are equal, competition starts.he will be compelled to maintain his top position which manufests in wickedness, rejecttion, and beating
The good ones are still among us!
Thank God.

Those women of gender identity crisis cannot feel what you have. Neither can they take it away.

You're intelligent with a wisdom that surpasses most women on this thread.

Something tells me you speak from experience; you enjoy the bliss and thrills only a woman who has the protection of a husband can fully enjoy.

3 Likes

Re: Submission In Marriage by freecocoa(f): 1:43pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jahblessme:

*back to troll mode*

#Nuffsaid
Re: Submission In Marriage by Nobody: 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
People tend to mix up " LOYALTY " with " SERVITUDE " . I am a man but I hate dictatorship in all ramifications . Therefore , one who's in position of leadership be it relationship or in any other form of affair should always strive to differentiate when crossing boundary from expecting loyalty to demanding servitude . As an individual , I owe my loyalty to he/she who have not given me reason to question his/her loyalty to me .

In summary , SUBMISSION in marriage just like loyalty , trust , respect and love should be earned not given .

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Submission In Marriage by wisdomiskey(m): 6:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 7:30pm On Aug 17, 2015
Good evening peeps

Hope our day was fine cheesy
Re: Submission In Marriage by Ngokafor(f): 8:15pm On Aug 17, 2015
Jamean:
I have tried to walk pass this thread. embarassed

Submission bla bla bla. These things are not as complicated as people make them look. I think it basically depends on the relationship with your partner.

These days I observed that the literate and exposed men don't get all worked up with it. They just ensure there is effective communication with their spouse, mutual respect and every one is responsible. These days some men even let the woman make most of the decisions especially when you have a wise woman. It doesn't displace you as head.

Ironically, I observed that it is even the men that are not well to do that are overwhelmed with the strict submission thing. Like: greeting him good morning my Oga as if you are his apprentice. Ensure you prepare food when you are not physically fit to.

I knew of an illiterate driver that subdued and intimidated his wife in the name of submission. Even at his sick bed she was full of fear of him that she can't think or make decisions. Love has no fear.

Cc MarvellousGod

...You are so right...It is only men who are underachievers and have nothing going for them in life that screams and bleats about submission around like their life depends on it even on a faceless
forum undecided...

..I personaly do not have a problem with submission to a man who commands respect because of his wise decisions about life,career and business..as well as being loving and humane.

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by Ngokafor(f): 8:21pm On Aug 17, 2015
Empero1:
People tend to mix up " LOYALTY " with " SERVITUDE " . I am a man but I hate dictatorship in all ramifications . Therefore , one who's in position of leadership be it relationship or in any other form of affair should always strive to differentiate when crossing boundary from expecting loyalty to demanding servitude . As an individual , I owe my loyalty to he/she who have not given me reason to question his/her loyalty to me .

In summary , SUBMISSION in marriage just like loyalty , trust , respect and love should be earned not given .

...Preach it man!! kiss
Re: Submission In Marriage by Chillis: 8:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
bukatyne:
Hello peeps

I sometimes stumble on old threads and go through them again and picked on this 'submission' stuff again.

This thread is mainly for single 'feminists', 'feminazis' and ladies who cringe at the word submission.

Now I am referring to it as used in the Bible and not Nairaland's /Nigerian definitions and assuming the man in question knows what it is to love so this will be to ladies

Someone once defined it as 'loyalty'... that's a nice one.

Loosely defined, i will say it is all about learning what your man wants and doing it & pleasing your man. Now I do not care about what 'men' want but there is one man whose like and dislikes matter most to you as a lady. It is not being 'controlled' or 'treated like a slave' or having no say in your affairs. You also do not have to be a man's inferior or unequal to submit.

Infact, the dynamics of submission happens in every relationship including those with your friends. You know that your best friend you bend backwards for, always what to do what makes her happy, give her your loyalty and faithfulness.... translate that to your husband or boyfriend on a higher level.

Now it is your duty to enter a relationship/marriage with the right person. That way, it flows naturally as you always want your man to be happy and learn to be intuned with his needs. (No one is perfect and it is a process which you can start today cheesy)

So I say ladies... go and be found by your soul mate kiss (If you are interested in getting married).

P.S.: I believe submission should start from a relationship (My personal opinion)

I will 100% appreciate we stick to the topic.

It is common knowledge I am a feminist and believe men and women are equal. I do not want anti-feminists rants on this thread.

Happy Sunday to everyone.

You and your submission threads and argument, your Hand no dey pain you ni?

Whatever makes one happy,do it.
If you like debate from now until 2050, people will do what thy feel is right for them. As long as they are happy, they can continue. If they so much think they deserve more they know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Submission In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 1:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
Chillis:

You and your submission threads and argument, your Hand no dey pain you ni?

Whatever makes one happy,do it.
If you like debate from now until 2050, people will do what thy feel is right for them. As long as they are happy, they can continue. If they so much think they deserve more they know what to do.

@Bold, lol!

Sorry for the late response

I agree with you.. the thread was just to explain what it means cheesy because I saw some did not understand.
Re: Submission In Marriage by Kimoni: 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2015
5minsmadness:

This is because the people that go about INITIATING trouble are already here. The more civil people are the ones who respected the op and kept out. Else this thread would have been derailed long ago.
Re: Submission In Marriage by Bugatie(m): 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2015
Chidoks:

The aim is not to control / run the man.the aim of respecting him is to have a crisis free home but the resultant effect us that the man us softened by your humility and resoect.he ib turn feel to give back.he gives back by doing the things you wish/ ask.

This is wonderful, you're an amazing lady.

Abeg are you married? I can be single now just for you
Re: Submission In Marriage by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 23, 2015
You can only submit to someone who loves you unconditionally.
Anyone who loves you unconditionally will not ask you to do things that you are not comfortable with.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Marrying A Woman 5 Years Older / urg / The Real Nigerian Housewives Of The United Kingdom!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.