Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State (52965 Views)

Construction Of Fourbedroom Duplex And Two Unit Of Two Bedroom Flat @ Isheriopic / A Two Unit Of 2 and Three Bedroom Bungalow With C Of O - 6million (photo) Asaba / Two-storey Building Collapses In Ogidi, Anambra, 7 Feared Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 9:59pm On Aug 23, 2015
Complete German/over site/ DPC work

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 10:01pm On Aug 23, 2015
Bro ever used a concrete screeder?

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2015
erico2k2:

no sir
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by FastShipping: 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2015
erico2k2:

I look forward to the day they do in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 10:07pm On Aug 23, 2015
abdulwastecx:

no sir
would make the surface smoonter
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:10pm On Aug 23, 2015
ok
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by mufutau55(m): 10:25pm On Aug 23, 2015
erico2k2:

would make the surface smoother

Why make the surface smoother when you will put more sand for tiles etc. anyway? Waste of resources if you asked me...
If you are leaving the floor bare for like Epoxy wax treatment later then it makes sense otherwise... not to me.

Hajji M.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:42pm On Aug 23, 2015
solreb:
My Ogas, I always enjoy reading your threads and the learning I get from building projects. I will like if you will indicate BOQ costs similar to the 3-bed u built in PH earlier this year. I am working on proposals for low-cost mass housing units for oyigbo ph and umuahia port Harcourt. There will be flexible payment plans over 2 years. We want to make it as cheap as possible. In that regard, what will the following cost at both places with similar designs as building above a. 2-bed detached bungalow b. 3-bed ditto c. 2-bed semi detached bungalow d. 3-bed ditto. ThanksThanks you can reach me on. 07089996950 WhatsApp and call.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by FastShipping: 10:43pm On Aug 23, 2015
mufutau55:

Why make the surface smoother when you will put more sand for tiles etc. anyway? Waste of resources if you asked me...
If you are leaving the floor bare for like Epoxy wax treatment later then it makes sense otherwise... not to me.

Hajji M.

Nothing is wrong with screeding the concrete and then lay tiles in the future. Have you ever seen concrete floor done in the U.S without smoothen it? Have you ever seen tiles laid in the U.S using sand and cement like they do in Nigeria? It would be better, cheaper and easier to lay tiles in Nigeria if our artisan start screeding concrete floor. A concrete floor that has been smoothen does not need cement and sand before tiling. If you think about it more, it is cheaper to have your concrete floor smoothen before laying tiles in the future. What is the benefit of not screeding your concrete floor and then have to smoothen it in the future with sand and cement?

The reason why you see every Tom, D1ck and Harry lay their tiles in the U.S is because there is an existing flat and smooth floor (sreeded).

Check the picture below. Don't you think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to lay tiles on the screeded concrete?

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 23, 2015
FastShipping:

I look forward to the day they do in Nigeria.

I'm with you Bro.

I plan on having finished concrete flooring throughout the house so I'll have to find a solution.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by FastShipping: 11:10pm On Aug 23, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm with you Bro.

I plan on having finished concrete flooring throughout the house so I'll have to find a solution.

Who needs tiles if you can get a well finished concrete floor? If there is anyone out there who can achieve the concrete floors in the pictures below, should contact me.

If you have any plan having finished polished concrete in Nigeria, you are on long thing. It is one way traffic. It is either tiles, wood or carpet. No other option.

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 24, 2015
FastShipping:

Who needs tiles if you can get a well finished concrete floor? If there is anyone out there who can achieve the concrete floors in the pictures below, should contact me.

If you have any plan having finished polished concrete in Nigeria, you are on long thing. It is one way traffic. It is either tiles, wood or carpet. No other option.

I'm actually thinking of getting an apprentiship to learn some of these stuff in my spare time.

I'm refusing to be limited by local resource though I know it'll be costly.

I salivated at Skimanski post of a client that imported all his major glass as an example.

Kitchen counters and bathroom counters are all slated to be finished concrete.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by FastShipping: 12:24am On Aug 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm actually thinking of getting an apprentiship to learn some of these stuff in my spare time.

I'm refusing to be limited by local resource though I know it'll be costly.

I salivated at Skimanski post of a client that imported all his major glass as an example.

Kitchen counters and bathroom counters are all slated to be finished concrete.

I don't have time to learn anything about concrete floor because I'm building a house. I have settled to use floor tiles and cushioned carpet in few places.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by mufutau55(m): 12:25am On Aug 24, 2015
FastShipping:

Nothing is wrong with screeding the concrete and then lay tiles in the future. Have you ever seen concrete floor done in the U.S without smoothen it? Have you ever seen tiles laid in the U.S using sand and cement like they do in Nigeria? It would be better, cheaper and easier to lay tiles in Nigeria if our artisan start screeding concrete floor. A concrete floor that has been smoothen does not need cement and sand before tiling. If you think about it more, it is cheaper to have your concrete floor smoothen before laying tiles in the future. What is the benefit of not screeding your concrete floor and then have to smoothen it in the future with sand and cement?

The reason why you see every Tom, D1ck and Harry lay their tiles in the U.S is because there is an existing flat and smooth floor (sreeded).

Check the picture below. Don't you think it would be a lot easier and cheaper to lay tiles on the screeded concrete?

You are talking about USA, but I am talking about Nigeria. Show me when you see tiles laid in Nigeria without sand and just laid on bare concrete.
Even in America they still apply sand/cement to balance the floor... just not too much sand like Nigeria...
When I refer to the above screeding, I am talking about Nigeria... when they start doing it like USA, then things will change to different procedures.

If you are going to use only polished floor which I have not seen much in Nigeria, then it's ok. But when you are going to add tiles... different story.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 12:28am On Aug 24, 2015
FastShipping:

I don't have time to learn anything about concrete floor because I'm building a house. I have settled to use floor tiles and cushioned carpet in few places.

I hear you Alhadji Agba Nla grin

I need something to occupy me between early and full retirement when I start drawing social security.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by FastShipping: 12:34am On Aug 24, 2015
mufutau55:

You are talking about USA, but I am talking about Nigeria. Show me when you see tiles laid in Nigeria without sand and just laid on bare concrete.
Even in America they still apply sand/cement to balance the floor... just not too much sand like Nigeria...
When I refer to the above screeding, I am talking about Nigeria... when they start doing it like USA, then things will change to different procedures.

Hajji M.

grin grin grin grin

I haven't said they can lay tiles on bare concrete. Far from it. In the U.S, the ratio of granite to sand and cement is different from what we have in Nigeria. In fact, more sand than granite to a bag of cement. A well smoothen concrete floor only need cement and water to lay tiles. No sand needed.

I have never seen anywhere where sand was used when laying tiles in the U.S. I know they use sand and cement to smoothen the floor in Nigeria during tiling but what is the purpose of wasting money on sand and cement before laying tiles when artisans can do their screeding of concrete floor at the time of concrete flooring? The sand and cement they use are waste of money to me.

A smoothen concrete floor only need few bags of cement mix to lay tiles. I have seen this done several times.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by mufutau55(m): 12:47am On Aug 24, 2015
FastShipping:

grin grin grin grin

I haven't said they can lay tiles on bare concrete. Far from it. A well smoothen concrete floor only need cement and water to lay tiles. No sand needed.

I have never seen anywhere where sand was used when laying tiles in the U.S. I know they use sand and cement to smoothen the floor in Nigeria during tiling but what is the purpose of wasting money on sand and cement before laying tiles when artisans can do their screeding of concrete floor at the time of concrete flooring? The sand and cement they use are waste of money to me.

A smoothen concrete floor only need few bags of cement mix to lay tiles. I have seen this done several times.

I understood where you are coming from... I will also like to see a good smooth concrete floor. But I tell you it may even be more expensive doing this in Nigeria. The level of concrete needed to be laid has to be higher so when it's screeded you will achieve a perfect level.. Sand does not cost anything in Nigeria compared to USA.
But YES, I do understand what you meant... and until we have achieve that standard of USA, it will not be cost effective.
I will like to see a lot of concept being used here introduced in Nigeria, but for now only the riches can afford that standard.. and I am not one of them and I think 90% of us will rather go the way it's been done now, until then.

Hajji M.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by KolaShangOne(m): 6:58am On Aug 24, 2015
FastShipping:

grin grin grin grin

I haven't said they can lay tiles on bare concrete. Far from it. In the U.S, the ratio of granite to sand and cement is different from what we have in Nigeria. In fact, more sand than granite to a bag of cement. A well smoothen concrete floor only need cement and water to lay tiles. No sand needed.

Oga Fast shipping, its very possible to do tiling in Nigeria without using sand but as Hajj Mufutau said, its not economical. Have you ever had to do wall tiling? If you see the way those guys dissolve one full bag of cement in water using it to lay only about 3sqm, you pocket will bleed.

Also, you can't compare our cement and additives with USA standard.

Another thing is that during concrete work in Nigeria, people don't take time or have the necessary equipments to determine level. That's why tilers have to use sand + cement mix to level up.

(Pic of one of our Engineers taking inverted level measurements on a 'decking'.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by twinskenny(m): 7:21am On Aug 24, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Oga Fast shipping, its very possible to do tiling in Nigeria without using sand but as Hajj Mufutau said, its not economical. Have you ever had to do wall tiling? If you see the way those guys dissolve one full bag of cement in water using it to lay only about 3sqm, you pocket will bleed.

Another thing is that during concrete work in Nigeria, people don't take time or have the necessary equipments to determine level. That's why tilers have to use sand + cement mix to level up.

Well said..
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 9:48am On Aug 24, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
That's my point no sand should be put on top.tiles should be able to go on top just like you will put takes on top kitchen work.we need to encourage our tilers to use the proper trowel .The reason the hip sand and cement mix in nigeria is to level the floor.this would have been achieved if the screeder was used.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 24, 2015
erico2k2:

That's my point no sand should be put on top.tiles should be able to go on top just like you will put takes on top kitchen work.we need to encourage our tilers to use the proper trowel .The reason the hip sand and cement mix in nigeria is to level the floor.this would have been achieved if the screeder was used.

Good points but as far as I know the screeder doesn't actually level the floor, it simply smoothes the floors finish.

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 24, 2015
KolaShangOne:

You should show more pictures of your staff at work, especially the "Engineer"s grin
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 10:38am On Aug 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Good points but as far as I know the screeder doesn't actually level the floor, it simply smoothes the floors finish.

This what I'm talking about.this is the manual one and the mechanical obe.

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 24, 2015
erico2k2:

Yes, they all make an already level floor smooth but they themselves don't level a floor, not their function.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 11:14am On Aug 24, 2015
mufutau55:

I understood where you are coming from... I will also like to see a good smooth concrete floor. But I tell you it may even be more expensive doing this in Nigeria. The level of concrete needed to be laid has to be higher so when it's screeded you will achieve a perfect level.. Sand does not cost anything in Nigeria compared to USA.
But YES, I do understand what you meant... and until we have achieve that standard of USA, it will not be cost effective.
I will like to see a lot of concept being used here introduced in Nigeria, but for now only the riches can afford that standard.. and I am not one of them and I think 90% of us will rather go the way it's been done now, until then.

Hajji M.
If one of those tools are used then you will get a smooth and even concrete surface by the way that screeder u uploaded is for cured concrete nt raw concrete Also the correct trowel should be used
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 11:17am On Aug 24, 2015
[quote author=EgunMogaji post=37279716]

Yes, they all make an already level floor smooth but they themselves don't level a floor, not their function.[/quote
They do.watch on YouTube how they are used. They have guide plum lines at each end which r level. So its do e in sections.if you have done or seen pavement being laid yoy will grasp this.]
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 24, 2015
[quote author=erico2k2 post=37279827][/quote]

What search words should I use on YouTube?

I've seen many floors leveled but not with a screeder.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 12:26pm On Aug 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm sure just concrete screeding should do it.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by KolaShangOne(m): 12:46pm On Aug 24, 2015
erico2k2:

This Manual one looks like ordinary brush that our bricklayers use after plastering. just longer.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 1:00pm On Aug 24, 2015
KolaShangOne:

This Manual one looks like ordinary brush that our bricklayers use after plastering. just longer.
Yep except it has an aluminum tip and a pivot at the attachment
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by erico2k2(m): 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I found with with *screeding Concrete floor*
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by KolaShangOne(m): 1:17pm On Aug 24, 2015
EgunMogaji:

You should show more pictures of your staff at work, especially the "Engineer"s grin

Hahahaha. Oga EgunMogaji lower your gaze o..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Jos Building Collapse: Before And After Photos / I Want To Quit The Apartment I Moved Into Just A Month Ago. Noise Is Killing Me / Lockdown: Lekki Residents Sue Kayode Otitoju Over Influx Of "Miscreants"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.