Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State (53094 Views)

Construction Of Fourbedroom Duplex And Two Unit Of Two Bedroom Flat @ Isheriopic / A Two Unit Of 2 and Three Bedroom Bungalow With C Of O - 6million (photo) Asaba / Two-storey Building Collapses In Ogidi, Anambra, 7 Feared Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 9:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
Here is the construction of two unit semi detached two bedroom flat in ogidi Anambra state.

Client : Undisclosed
Contractor : Harney projects ( abdulwastecx, podosci )
Duration of contract: Undisclosed
Budget : (Low cost/Moderate)
Contact address: harneyprojects.com, 08169492682 ( abdulwastecx), 08068396895 (podosci) and dc@harneyprojects.com

Introducing "Harney project structures" first project here on nairaland.
The project is divided into four major stages, namely
1. Foundation work ( setting out, excavation, concrete footing, reinforcement, block work and DPC.)
2. super structure to concrete facial ( precast)
3. Roofing work
4. Finishing (plastering, pop ceiling, windows, doors, burglary proof, electrical, plumbing and painting

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
Foundation work to DPC (German floor or oversite concrete)
This stage of the work involve the construction of substructure ( those part of the house that is built below the ground level.
Here, we will be looking at simple static analysis ( from structural point of view), simple cost analysis and practical work done supported with adequate pictorial representation.

1. Setting out of the building: this involve the transferring of information on the building drawing such as the architectural drawing or structural drawing as the case may be.
For this particular project, profile board was use because of its high accuracy.

These are the steps followed:
1. Location of the building line, which was located as the front elevation of the building
2. Offsetting of other two control point (edge of the building ) from the building line, using set square and line.
3. Offsetting of 1.2m from the four control point to locate the profile board pegs
4. Spacing of pegs @ 1.5m along the profile board line to get the pegs on which the profile is placed
5. Nail of profile board ( 2" x 2" soft wood)
6. Transferring of information from the architectural plan to the profile board. This is done by placing five nail each on each grid line on the profile board.

Materials for profile board includes the following:
1. 3 bundle of pegs with 20 pegs/bundle
2. 30 profile board ( 2 x 2 soft wood)
3. 3" nail ( 5 pound weight )
4. line, claw hammer, builder's square and line ( 15 lines)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
day 2 ( 13-08-2015): Foundation excavation

The foundation depth was determine using a simple rod test: Rod test is done for a simple bungalow founded on a very solid foundation.
This id done by driving down a 12mm rod closer to the four corner of the building. The rod is stop when the rod become stiff enough and the point where it touches the ground is marked or noted. The rod is withdrawn and measured from the tip to the marked point. The length measured is the preferred depth of the foundation.
For this particular project, the depth of the foundation at the lowest point his 600mm below ground level.
In summary:
depth of the foundation = 600mm ( minimum depth)
total foundation gird = 140m
Number of simple isolated pad footings = 20 ( with 600 x 600mm dimension).

1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 10:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
Day2: Preparation of pad footing and column reinforcement.

12mm high yield bar (Y12) was use as the main reinforcement with 10mm high yield bar serving as the links.
Total number of columns = 20
Total number of footing = 20
size of the links = 175mm
spacing of links = 400mm ( since, building is a bungalow with considerable light load and moment )

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
Day 3: ( 14-08-2015): Casting of the foundation footings ( small pad footing and the simple strip foundation)
The thickness/depth of the footing = 150mm ( minimum)
The width of the foundation = 675mm for outer wall of 225mm thick and 450mm for inner wall ( excluding the dividing gird between the two flat) of 150mm thick.

materials used:
1. 60bags of Dangote ordinary portland cement
2. Three trips of a single axle sand tipper ( about ten tonnes/trip)
3. half a trip of a 30 tonnage gravel tipper ( about 15tonnes)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
day four (17-08-2015): Foundation block wall
This marked the commencement of the foundation block laying.
Summary:
cement mortar of 1:6 ( one bag of cement to 12 head pan of sharp sand).
calculated quantity of block for the foundation = 1200
calculated bags of cement for the foundation block work assuming 1bag/50nr of block = 24bags ( including wastage on forming).
expected number of block layers (mason) = 4nr.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
more block work pics

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
more pics

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
complete foundation work and ready for column form work/casting

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by mufutau55(m): 11:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
Welcome back Abdulwastecx and Podosci. Two of the best teachers and professionals in the house, who actually knows their jobs.
This project should be a good lecture for most of us, as all your other projects. Thanks.

Hajji M.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
form work and casting of short columns:
About 12 out of the 20 short column was boarded and cast today using a mix ratio of 1:4:4 ( due to the size of the coarse aggregates)
The short/foundation columns have varying height due to the topography of the site.

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:34pm On Aug 18, 2015
mufutau55:
Welcome back Abdulwastecx and Podosci. Two of best teachers and professionals in the house, who actually knows their jobs.
This project should be a good lecture for most of us as all your other projects. Thanks.

Hajji M.

Thanks sir....
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 11:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
In the name of all that is holy please do not scrimp on explanations and pictures when you start doing plumbing and electrical.

Thanks.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 11:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
abdulwastecx:
About 12 out of the 20 short column was boarded and cast today using a mix ratio of 1:4:4 ( due to the size of the coarse aggregates)
The short/foundation columns have varying height due to the topography of the site.

Seems to be quite a lot of pillars on this build.

Can you explain why this much on a bungalow?

Thanks.

I have my pencil and paper ready and sitting straight in my chair. In fact I might just drag out my old school uniform to complete the ensemble to represent the seriousness that I'm giving this subject grin
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 11:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
EgunMogaji:
In the name of all that is holy please do not scrimp on explanations and pictures when you start doing plumbing and electrical.

Thanks.

Noted sir
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 12:09am On Aug 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Seems to be quite a lot of pillars on this build.

Can you explain why this much on a bungalow?

Thanks.

I have my pencil and paper ready and sitting straight in my chair. In fact I might just drag out my old school uniform to complete the ensemble to represent the seriousness that I'm giving this subject grin

Ok sir... We are developing a building model that will pay more emphasis on the strength of the building.
What we have been able to do was to introduce ten column per flat to make the house more rigid. this is necessary when you look at the strength of the block we generally use in our building construction.

Thee columns were spaced with minimum distance of 3.6m to help carry the intended concrete facial ( parapet ) and roofing load.
The columns were also reinforced with minimum diameter of steel to reduce cost.

From cost perspective, its not out of place to reinforced the building with about N 76,000 in other to avoid any structural failure in the future, considering the fact much more will be spend on the finishing phase.

Here is a simple breakdown of the column:
1.footing with size of 600mm x 600mm only need 8nr of 600mm bar
total number of footings = 20
nr of bar required = 20 x 8 x 0.6/12 = 8 bars
cost of Y12 @ N1,100 = N8,800

columns of 3.75m high
20 nr of column with four bars per column
number of bar required = 20 x 4 x 4/12 =27bars
cost of bar = N1,100 x 27 = N29,700

Links of 750mm length spaced @ 400mm center to center
Number required = 3/0.4 x 20 x 0.75/12 = 10Y10 bars
Y bar is N900/br = N9,000

Binding wire = N2,000

Total amount on materials = N48,500

Workmanship = N25,000

Transport = N 2,500

Total =N75,500

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 19, 2015
abdulwastecx:

Ok sir... We are developing a building model that will pay more emphasis on the strength of the building.
What we have been able to do was to introduce ten column per flat to make the house more rigid. this is necessary when you look at the strength of the block we generally use in our building construction.

Thee columns were spaced with minimum distance of 3.6m to help carry the intended concrete facial ( parapet ) and roofing load.
The columns were also reinforced with minimum diameter of steel to reduce cost.

From cost perspective, its not out of place to reinforced the building with about N 76,000 in other to avoid any structural failure in the future, considering the fact much more will be spend on the finishing phase.

Here is a simple breakdown of the column:
1.footing with size of 600mm x 600mm only need 8nr of 600mm bar
total number of footings = 20
nr of bar required = 20 x 8 x 0.6/12 = 8 bars
cost of Y12 @ N1,100 = N8,800

columns of 3.75m high
20 nr of column with four bars per column
number of bar required = 20 x 4 x 4/12 =27bars
cost of bar = N1,100 x 27 = N29,700

Links of 750mm length spaced @ 400mm center to center
Number required = 3/0.4 x 20 x 0.75/12 = 10Y10 bars
Y bar is N900/br = N9,000

Binding wire = N2,000

Total amount on materials = N48,500

Workmanship = N25,000

Transport = N 2,500

Total =N75,500

And just like that you've removed my fear of a perceived high cost of pillars. Even though we haven't included granite/gravel and cement, I think that will still be negligible.

Good stuff.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by micgray100(m): 3:52am On Aug 19, 2015
I stand tobbe corrected... The bedrooms looks larger compared to sitting room... I recommend a some alteration in design layout after DPC... Just my opinion...
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by mufutau55(m): 4:01am On Aug 19, 2015
micgray100:
I stand to be corrected... The bedrooms looks larger compared to sitting room... I recommend a some alteration in design layout after DPC... Just my opinion...

Can you really make out the Bedrooms and Livingrooms and sizes from the above block settings without seeing the floor plan?
If so, please explain so we can learn from it. Thanks.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by micgray100(m): 4:59am On Aug 19, 2015
mufutau55:

Can you really make out the Bedrooms and Livingrooms and sizes from the above block settings without seeing the floor plan?
If so, please explain so we can learn from it. Thanks.
Hajji M.

Yes u can make out the sizes avaragely to an extent... By physically counting the blocks set.. We all knw a block is 450mm lenght, and would be shocked in both ends by mortal to estimate 50mm.. Meaning 10 arranged blocks could be assumed averagely to be 5 meters... My assumption is based on my day to day working experience...

My only problem with the design is use of space of the sitting room...

Just my opinion..

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by phiszo(m): 6:53am On Aug 19, 2015
nice one bro. following.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 7:22am On Aug 19, 2015
EgunMogaji:

And just like that you've removed my fear of a perceived high cost of pillars. Even though we haven't included granite/gravel and cement, I think that will still be negligible.

Good stuff.

bags of cement for the foundation column is 5bags
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 7:28am On Aug 19, 2015
phiszo:
nice one bro. following.
long time boss....how is kogi?
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by snakebeat: 9:20am On Aug 19, 2015
abdulwastecx:
Nice & neat job as usual... U're good. But what is the size of the coarse aggregate? That made u use 1:4:4? I presume 3/4? is the end result as solid as the conventional mix ratios...
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 12:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
micgray100:
I stand tobbe corrected... The bedrooms looks larger compared to sitting room... I recommend a some alteration in design layout after DPC... Just my opinion...

here are the dimensions of each room
1. Living room : 16ft x 13ft
2. bedrooms : 12ft x12ft
3. toilets : 3' 1/2'' x 8ft
4. visitor's toilet : 3'1/2'' x 4ft
5. kitchen : 8ft x 8ft
6. dining : 8ft x 7ft
7. entrance varander : 16ft x 4ft
8. back sit out : 3ft x 7ft
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by abdulwastecx(m): 12:14pm On Aug 19, 2015
snakebeat:

Nice & neat job as usual... U're good. But what is the size of the coarse aggregate? That made u use 1:4:4? I presume 3/4? is the end result as solid as the conventional mix ratios...

The gravel supplier mistakenly brought 1/2" to site instead of 3/4".
3/4" end up having better strength with the same mix ratio with 1/2".
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by snakebeat: 2:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
abdulwastecx:

The gravel supplier mistakenly brought 1/2" to site instead of 3/4".
3/4" end up having better strength with the same mix ratio with 1/2".
Okay sir....
So it's okay to use 1:4:4 for 3/4? Because there tend to be too much stones using 1:2:4...
I think I'll adopt this 1:4:4.
Thanks a lot....
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by PeoplesArmy: 4:57pm On Aug 19, 2015
I like this guy's thread (class). Always patient and detailed in explanations. I will take this course as an elective.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
abdulwastecx:
day four (17-08-2015): Foundation block wall
This marked the commencement of the foundation block laying.
Summary:
cement mortar of 1:6 ( one bag of cement to 12 head pan of sharp sand).
calculated quantity of block for the foundation = 1200
calculated bags of cement for the foundation block work assuming 1bag/50nr of block = 24bags ( including wastage on forming).
expected number of block layers (mason) = 4nr.

I am EgunMogaji AKA Olosha Oko and I approve this block work. It shows straightness and seriousness of detail.

Please buy your bricklayers a bottle of beer on me today, let them know someone appreciates their detail work.

Bricklayers Prayer

"All day I work in the hot sun and burning sensation on my skin is only confirmed to me by the sweat that runs on my fore head. I wipe the sweat with my dirty hand and not troubled that I am putting dirt on myself. I don't stop to check myself, but continue to work.

For every brick that I lay, I put in so much care because lives will depend on how accurate I lay them.

When the building is finished,I beg to enter because the people who occupy them do not care about me and yet I cared so much about their lives.But if I complain, someone will get my job. I need the money, so I beg." - Abel Kabamba

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 19, 2015
PeoplesArmy:
I like this guy's thread (class). Always patient and detailed in explanations. I will take this course as an elective.

And when you ask a question he never ask you to call him or email him, he takes time to answer it on here in public.

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by podosci(m): 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2015
Good day sir, Its not only the bricklayers that deserve a beer, I and Abdulwastecx worked hand in hand with them to ensure straightness and accuracy, we only allowed an error of +/-20mm at every check with our plumb, line, Profile board and tape but I must also admit the bricklayers were patient and precise with their bricklaying.
Re: Construction Of Two Unit Semi Detached Two Bedroom Flat, Ogidi, Anambra State by Nobody: 7:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
podosci:
Good day sir, Its not only the bricklayers that deserve a beer, I and Abdulwastecx worked hand in hand with them to ensure straightness and accuracy, we only allowed an error of +/-20mm at every check with our plumb, line, Profile board and tape but I must also admit the bricklayers were patient and precise with their bricklaying.

Duly noted. IF you guys decide to come work in Ibadan wink then I'll do the needful.

By the way, will it be your duo that will be entities to bring this level of artisanship to Nigeria?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lockdown: Lekki Residents Sue Kayode Otitoju Over Influx Of "Miscreants" / Lady Demands Refund Of Rent After Flood Destroys Her Property In Lagos / 10 Most Powerful Buildings In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.