Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,672 members, 7,820,360 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! (11012 Views)

Life Is Hard. Where is God? Theists And Atheist Help, Anything. I Am Desperate! / CAN On Fuel Scarcity: This Looks Like An Attempt To Sabotage X-mas Celebrations / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Nobody: 9:14am On Aug 26, 2015
wordcat:

It is nobody's fault if u don't knw the meaning of speculation
Lololololol. So speculations are now facts? We have create a soft landing for science. Isn't that it?
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by wordcat(m): 9:35am On Aug 26, 2015
Reyginus:
Lololololol. So speculations are now facts? We have create a soft landing for science. Isn't that it?

From Stconvict;
Speculation is there for speculation sake. That's the reason
why it is called hypothesis in Science. It is nothing until it
gets proven with facts, evidence, empirical studies that can
be tested again and again and still give the same result.
Mind you speculations are based on observations of
physical phenomena. YOU GUYS ARE NOT SPECULATING, you are
claiming god exists without any physical evidence. That's
delusional!

1 Like

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Nobody: 9:39am On Aug 26, 2015
wordcat:

From Stconvict;
Speculation is there for speculation sake. That's the reason
why it is called hypothesis in Science. It is nothing until it
gets proven with facts, evidence, empirical studies that can
be tested again and again and still give the same result.
Mind you speculations are based on observations of
physical phenomena. You guys are not speculating, you are
claiming god exists without any physical evidence. That's
delusional!
You have obviously not been following or you are attempting to be mischievous.

His point is that every thing that lacks fact or evidence is delusional. I am only trying to help him see the error of the statement.

Or can you tell me what that means.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by wordcat(m): 10:03am On Aug 26, 2015
Reyginus:
You have obviously not been following or you are attempting to be mischievous.

His point is that every thing that lacks fact or evidence is delusional. I am only trying to help him see the error of the statement.

Or can you tell me what that means.

The problem is that christians knw how to twist statement and that's how u keep twisting ur so called word of god(bible) into different versions. Here is what he said;

I've explained this many times on NL already
faith, –noun
"BELIEF that is not based on facts or evidence"
de·lu·sion, –noun
"a fixed false BELIEF that is resistant to reason or
confrontation with actual fact"
you see faith is just a fancy, less aggressive and precise term
for Delusion

Is speculation a belief? Or should we take ur belief in god as speculation

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 26, 2015
BRIGHTRIVERS:
4 years now i've been sorrounded by friends that are atheist.Almost everyday we argue If actually there's God or not.I've always believed there's God,tho i've not seen him.But jst recently d points made by my atheist frnds keep ringging a strong bell in my mind and now i've missed Sunday service 4 about 4straight sundays and stil counting..now i'm begining to think there's no God up there.How do i get back on track?? i've received advices to quit d frndship with my atheist frnds,but that will not be healthy for my accademic life. Guys help!

# Rivers

There is God brother, But God is unknowable.

God ain't in any church or religion... Dey are all Man made.

Meanwhile Congrats.

1 Like

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 11:21am On Aug 26, 2015
chuna1985:

Meanwhile Congrats.
Unknowable Congrats ...No,u congrats 4 cnfusing me wt dis comment.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Weah96: 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
chuna1985:

Meanwhile Congrats.

Another intelligent Nigerian female. You're an honest person sha, don't pay attention to the re)tards and hardcore liars. Most of them are liars by nature, the rest don't know how to comprehend what they read. There's no middle ground.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Weah96: 12:04pm On Aug 26, 2015
BRIGHTRIVERS:

He's knowable because he is YOU. He's the observer in your dreams, and that's why you never get to see your own face. If you're dreaming and see your own face, don't even bother waking up. U no go fit.

Get in touch with your inner self. Religions take you away from the simple truth. If God is anywhere, he is IN YOUR HEAD FIRST.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 26, 2015
BRIGHTRIVERS:

Congrats - U have found a middle ground n u have started asking questions against Christianity.

1 Like

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by beejaay: 6:58pm On Aug 26, 2015
ifeness:
The OP is obviously back to square one. what a shame! But he who run from a fight lives to fight another day. He let those dunce and hopeless rags drag him back into their pit holes sad
its expected that he will be back to square one. U dont expect the journey to straight like that, do u? We av all been there and once the seed of knowledge is planted,the universe watered it itself,it might even be years apart but the truth is that the seed will grow.@op dont worry the journey to self realization is on already,the hardest job is already done,ur journey will be subtle from on here;-)
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by beejaay: 7:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
Weah96:

He's knowable because he is YOU. He's the observer in your dreams, and that's why you never get to see your own face. If you're dreaming and see your own face, don't even bother waking up. U no go fit.

Get in touch with your inner self. Religions take you away from the simple truth. If God is anywhere, he is IN YOUR HEAD FIRST.
what u are trying to explain is the hardest to grab by anyone cos people are so engrossed with labelling..great post by u
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Weah96: 7:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
beejaay:
what u are trying to explain is the hardest to grab by anyone cos people are so engrossed with labelling..great post by u

Everyone is God, I think. I can only speak for myself though, but I assume that everyone has a dream observer.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by beejaay: 8:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
Weah96:

Everyone is God, I think. I can only speak for myself though, but I assume that everyone has a dream observer.
which was why jesus said 'ye are god, if u believe like i do, u will do greater things than i'. We are microsm of the universe, we are ways the universe is becoming conscious of itself..we are to the universe what electron is to our material body.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 26, 2015
wordcat:

The problem is that christians knw how to twist statement and that's how u keep twisting ur so called word of god(bible) into different versions. Here is what he said;

I've explained this many times on NL already
faith, –noun
"BELIEF that is not based on facts or evidence"
de·lu·sion, –noun
"a fixed false BELIEF that is resistant to reason or
confrontation with actual fact"
you see faith is just a fancy, less aggressive and precise term
for Delusion

Is speculation a belief? Or should we take ur belief in god as speculation
Okay
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Crispels(m): 10:27pm On Aug 26, 2015
BRIGHTRIVERS:
4 years now i've been sorrounded by friends that are atheist.Almost everyday we argue If actually there's God or not.I've always believed there's God,tho i've not seen him.But jst recently d points made by my atheist frnds keep ringging a strong bell in my mind and now i've missed Sunday service 4 about 4straight sundays and stil counting..now i'm begining to think there's no God up there.How do i get back on track?? i've received advices to quit d frndship with my atheist frnds,but that will not be healthy for my accademic life. Guys help!

# Rivers

What course do ur friends study?
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 12:46am On Aug 27, 2015
I have still never seen or heard of any unfalsifiable miracle. Once I see a completely severed limb grow back during prayer, then I'll become intrigued. But so far, I have never seen or heard of a "miracle" that occurred in the absence of ambiguity. Neither have I seen or heard of a "miracle" that couldn't have been attributed to coincidence. Makes me wonder if the supposedly astounding miracles of the bible were even true to start with -- I am certain that they are not true. Enormous claims require enormous proof. If Yahweh truly exists, how come such astounding miracles never happen anymore? After all, Jesus told his disciples that whoever follows him would be able to do similar miracles.

About prophecies... there are also tarot card readers who prophesy the future. Does that mean that Yahweh is involved in their prophecies too? How about magicians? To me, prophesies and magic are all a mirage that can captivate a gullible audience. How come these so-called prophets can't reliably prophesy significant disasters like earthquakes, volcanoes, and such? How come they only prophesy things a very perceptive person can guess? The reliability of a diagnostic method is assessed by its rate of false negatives and false positives; unfortunately prophecy fails this test of reliability over a large number of samples/prophecies.

Prophecies and miracles are all a mirage. Most prophecies are often wrong, but the only ones we repeatedly hear about about the few that became true... which leads me to conclude that a lot of it is confirmation bias.

On this religion ish, the more you look the less you see. Statistics on "miracles" and "prophesies" tell us a lot, my friend. smiley
BRIGHTRIVERS:
But how do we explain Miracles and prophesies done in churches? ..if there can be a Spiritual healing to a problem science can't solve,don't u think there's a spiritual being somewhere :.

Also,if a Prophet can tell you a problem going on in your Family without u havin told him... Dnt u think there's a spiritual being somewhere??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 1:08am On Aug 27, 2015
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 1:26am On Aug 27, 2015
You are using the tool of FEAR to convince the OP to stop asking valid questions about his faith in Yahweh (I presume the OP is/was christian). It blows my mind that FEAR is one of religion's favorite tool to extract followership and compliance. smh.

I think you should address the OP's questions without resorting to the FEAR tool, after all Apostle Paul told Timothy to study to show himself approved. Also, in I Peter 3:15, Peter says "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect".

Respect the OP's attempt to learn more about why he believes what he believes and stop using FEAR to truncate his quest. No offense intended my friend, just saying smiley

Ishilove:
Mr Man, if you know what is good for you, reduce your association with atheists and for God's sakes, stop all the ungodly and profitless arguments that do not edify either you or Christ. Evil companionship corrupts good manners. How can you allow unbelievers sway you, a child of God? Don't you know all power have been given unto you?

There is a God, there is heaven, and there is hell. Anyone who can sit down and say they don't exist is lost and only the mercy of God will open their eyes. However, God said "I will show mercy to whom I may show mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I may have compassion- Rom 9:15.

For God's sakes, you are on the road to perdition if you don't immediately cut off your association with your atheist friends and ask God for mercy and forgiveness.

There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.- Prov 14:12 (KJV)

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 1:34am On Aug 27, 2015
OK, even if something else is responsible for creating the universe, why jump to the conclusion that it was an invisible being? And even if it truly were an invisible being, why make the leap that this being was Yahweh? The latter is an extremely huuuuge leap! Why not Obatala or Zeus or Amadiora? Abeg let me know if I am misunderstanding you. I have an open mind.

buggaboo:
Ehmm, it is called deduction.
Since you have refused to give me a meaningful explaination of how the universe started, and I cannot find one myself, it only makes sense to accept that something outside of the laws of the universe is responsible. Whatever name you choose to call that thing is up to you.
The agnostics atleast accept this but I just dont understand you atheists.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Ishilove: 2:03am On Aug 27, 2015
Antiparticle:
You are using the tool of FEAR to convince the OP to stop asking valid questions about his faith in Yahweh (I presume the OP is/was christian). It blows my mind that FEAR is one of religion's favorite tool to extract followership and compliance. smh.

I think you should address the OP's questions without resorting to the FEAR tool, after all Apostle Paul told Timothy to study to show himself approved. Also, in I Peter 3:15, Peter says "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect".

Respect the OP's attempt to learn more about why he believes what he believes and stop using FEAR to truncate his quest. No offense intended my friend, just saying smiley

None taken.

Well, the OP has made his decision so discussing his faith is immaterial now cheesy
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by thesoj: 3:50am On Aug 27, 2015
what a thread! lol

1 Like

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by BRIGHTRIVERS(m): 7:57am On Aug 27, 2015
Crispels:

What course do ur friends study?
Medical courses
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by johnydon22(m): 9:15am On Aug 27, 2015
chuna1985:

Meanwhile Congrats.
Nice postulation and all, but i want to engage you just a little bit..

About the bolded. . You say God is unknowable, since it is unknowable how then did you get to know there is any at all?

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by wordcat(m): 10:00am On Aug 27, 2015
johnydon22:
Nice postulation and all, but i want to engage you just a little bit..

About the bolded. . You say God is unknowable, since it is unknowable how then did you get to know there is any at all?

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sometimes they forget that they're talking to humans cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by buggaboo: 9:17pm On Aug 27, 2015
Antiparticle:
OK, even if something else is responsible for creating the universe, why jump to the conclusion that it was an invisible being? And even if it truly were an invisible being, why make the leap that this being was Yahweh? The latter is an extremely huuuuge leap! Why not Obatala or Zeus or Amadiora? Abeg let me know if I am misunderstanding you. I have an open mind.

Where did you see invisible being or yahweh in my post.
I said something not bound by the laws of the universe created the universe.

Why did I say that?
Because science can never explain how everything started.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by buggaboo: 9:25pm On Aug 27, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
Since we are dealing with hypothesis here, let me also deduce that it was most likely something or someone who obeys the laws of the universe that could have designed and created that other something or someone that supposedly created the universe.

How is that for a deduction? smiley

You have clearly run out of points.
I am very disappointed in you. Actually thought you were going to WOW me with some mind blowing logic.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 9:30pm On Aug 27, 2015
OK, fair enough. You didn't mention Yahweh. But in one of your posts you wrote that something or someone designed the universe. If something or someone indeed designed the universe, wouldn't that something or someone also have had to have been designed by another something or someone (thus resulting in a negative infinity of something and someone creators)? While at first glance your theory of design may appear plausible, upon closer inspection it appears to be a highly unlikely explanation of the whats and hows of the universe's existence.

Also, your statement that "science can never explain how everything started" is mistaken. Ten thousand years ago, I'm sure humans made statements like "man can never create a flying vehicle that would land on the moon"; we both know how that turned out. Science is a body of knowledge that keeps expanding.

buggaboo:
Where did you see invisible being or yahweh in my post.
I said something not bound by the laws of the universe created the universe.
Why did I say that?
Because science can never explain how everything started.

buggaboo:
Something or someone who doesnt obey the laws of the universe, designed the universe.

1 Like

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by buggaboo: 9:51pm On Aug 27, 2015
Antiparticle:
OK, fair enough. You didn't mention Yahweh. But in one of your posts you wrote that something or someone designed the universe. If something or someone indeed designed the universe, wouldn't that something or someone also have had to have been designed by another something or someone (thus resulting in a negative infinity of something and someone creators)? While at first glance your theory of design may appear plausible, upon closer inspection it appears to be a highly unlikely explanation of the whats and hows of the universe's existence.

Also, your statement that "science can never explain how everything started" is mistaken. Ten thousand years ago, I'm sure humans made statements like "man can never create a flying vehicle that would land on the moon"; we both know how that turned out. Science is a body of knowledge that keeps expanding.

I said something not bound by the laws of the universe.
This means that it may be self existing because it doesn't have to obey the laws of the universe.

If you have faith that one day science will explain everything, how are you different from someone who has faith that God created the universe?

You both do not have empirical evidence for your belief
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
buggaboo:
I said something not bound by the laws of the universe.
This means that it may be self existing because it doesn't have to obey the laws of the universe.
This is extremely improbable. Up until now, we have never found anything in the universe that is not bound by the same laws of physics that we observe here on earth, so your statement above is pure blind guesswork. Even quantum mechanical systems with all their astounding quirks can be predictably described using physical laws. I wonder why you would conjecture out of nowhere that something that is not bound by the laws of the universe created the universe. This is an extraordinarily unlikely explanation. But even if something or someone created the universe, what do you say are the implications? Does this mean that it is important that we revere that something or someone? That something or someone obviously doesn't give a shi*t about us because he/she/it has gone into hiding since he/she/it supposedly created humans.

buggaboo:
If you have faith that one day science will explain everything, how are you different from someone who has faith that God created the universe? You both do not have empirical evidence for your belief

Please quote where I said I have faith that science will one day explain everything. You are misusing the word faith in order to suit your position. A scientist does not need faith to extrapolate into the future. Scientists/statisticians develop prediction models that extrapolate based on current and past data; these models are used to assign a likelihood value to a future event. This is not based on faith, but is based on past/current evidence and physical laws. smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by buggaboo: 10:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
Antiparticle:

This is extremely improbable. Up until now, we have never found anything in the universe that is not bound by the same laws of physics that we observe here on earth, so your italicized statement above is pure blind guesswork. Even quantum mechanical systems with all their astounding quirks can be predictably described statistically. I wonder why you would conjecture out of nowhere that something that is not bound by the laws of the universe created the universe. This is an extraordinarily unlikely explanation. But even if something or someone created the universe, what do you say are the implications? Does this mean that it is important that we revere that something or someone? That something or someone obviously doesn't give a shi*t about humans because he/she/it has gone into hiding since he/she/it created the universe.

Please quote where I said I have faith that science will one day explain everything. You are misusing the word faith in order to suit your position. A scientist does not need faith to extrapolate into the future. Scientists/statisticians develop prediction models that extrapolate based on current and past data; these models are used to assign a likelihood value to a future event. This is not based on faith, but is based on past/current evidence and physical laws. smiley

I am happy you mentioned a likelyhood value.
It means that there is a margin for error.

As a scientist, you cannot extrapolate indefinitely when you are dealing with a lot of unknowns. Your model is bound to break down at some point.

Yes, it takes some faith to suggest that because science has explained somethings, science will explain everything.

To explain my point about something not bound by the laws of its own creation.
Imagine that there is an advanced version of the Angry Birds game in which the birds have been programmed to make decisions by themselves.

The game is their universe and some of them may think that they were not created if they cannot see any evidence of the team who created them.
And it'd be wrong for the birds to expect whoever created them to behave like them.
Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by Antiparticle(m): 10:57pm On Aug 27, 2015
I fully agree with you about margin of errors and the risk of extrapolating indefinitely.
You were the one that extrapolated indefinitely that "science can never explain how everything got started". In response, I wrote that "science is a body of knowledge that keeps expanding" in order to moderate your absolutist extrapolation. I don't know if science will eventually explain how everything got started, but I do know that it is uninformed to write that "science can never explain how everything got started" as you did.

So abeg where did I say that science will explain everything? Please quote it precisely. You have now begun to dance around in circles and I will have to ignore you if you don't quote what you claim I said, or if you don't stand corrected for misquoting me. smiley

Also, you haven't answered any of the questions posed in response to your previous commentary about your hypothetical something or someone creators that designed the universe.

buggaboo:
I am happy you mentioned a likelyhood value.
It means that there is a margin for error.
As a scientist, you cannot extrapolate indefinitely when you are dealing with a lot of unknowns. Your model is bound to break down at some point. Yes, it takes some faith to suggest that because science has explained somethings, science will explain everything.

To explain my point about something not bound by the laws of its own creation. Imagine that there is an advanced version of the Angry Birds game in which the birds have been programmed to make decisions by themselves. The game is their universe and some of them may think that they were not created if they cannot see any evidence of the team who created them. And it'd be wrong for thetbirds to expect whoever created them to behave like them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! by buggaboo: 11:05pm On Aug 27, 2015
Antiparticle:
I fully agree with you about margin of errors and the risk of extrapolating indefinitely.
You were the one that extrapolated indefinitely that "science can never explain how everything got started". In response, I wrote that "science is a body of knowledge that keeps expanding" in order to moderate your absolutist extrapolation. I don't know if science will eventually explain how everything got started, but I do know that it is uninformed to write that "science can never explain how everything got started" as you did.

So abeg where did I say that science will explain everything? Please quote it precisely. You have now begun to dance around in circles and I will have to ignore you if you don't quote what you claim I said, or if you don't stand corrected for misquoting me. smiley

Also, you haven't answered any of the questions posed in I response to your previous commentary about your hypothetical something or someone creators that designed the universe.

Ok let me retrace my steps.
I am not sure that science will ever explain everything.
Neither are you.

Shall we both agree then?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Anambra Anglican Priest Makes U-Turn, Rescinds From His Pro-Polygamy Movement / Enough Is Enough It Is Time To Engage Your Angels. / How My Crazy Love For A Girl Inspired The Extent Of My Love For God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.