Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,107 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348430 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by deasy(m): 6:17pm On Jul 23, 2011
Whaooo!Amaka
is a great cook.Please more of it.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by MissyB3(f): 6:30pm On Jul 23, 2011
oyinbo_27:

hi im new here anyways my fraince is nigerian and i would like to make some nice jollof rice and also i dont know wot its called but its fish made in some spinach  stew, does the jollof rice have to be made with meat?[/b]can u just make it on its own? any help would be great
No, it musn't be made with meat even though using broth instead of plain water improves the flavour. You could use fish or prepare without.

Here's how to make Jollof rice without meat/fish

[b]Ingredients

Tomatoes
Pepper
Seasoning
Onion
Broth/water
Vegetable oil

Direction

Parboil rice for about 5-10 minutes and then wash

Heat oil in a pot and sauté the already sliced/chopped onion until soft, but not browned

Add tomato paste and the already blended pepper on medium heat while stirring for about 3 minutes

Add maggi and any other desired seasoning

Add rice and continue stirring

Add water [ if you aren't using broth] gradually to ensure you don't put excessive quantity of water, allow to boil.

Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until almost all of the water/broth has evapourated.

Taste rice to see if it's well cooked- if so, turn off gas and serve, if not add a little more water/broth.

Enjoy!

i dont know wot its called but its fish made in some spinach  stew
Do you mean something like this, made with fish?
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKfNDVGUT35acV3ea0dlXy3CaspstMg1TjADsH6hYPt-jj13B1[/img]
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2011
hello everybody, i am again in need of a recipe. i know how to make meat pies but i used to buy fish pies from a nigerian lady when i was in greece and here where i live i cannot find it, i have search the web but i cannot find anything,so please please help me i just need the feeling for the fish pies. thanks once again and stay blessed.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by oyinbo27: 2:20pm On Jul 30, 2011
Missy ★ B:

No, it musn't be made with meat even though using broth instead of plain water improves the flavour. You could use fish or prepare without.

Here's how to make Jollof rice without meat/fish

Ingredients
Tomatoes
Pepper
Seasoning
Onion
Broth/water
Vegetable oil

Direction

Parboil rice for about 5-10 minutes and then wash

Heat oil in a pot and sauté the already sliced/chopped onion until soft, but not browned

Add tomato paste and the already blended pepper on medium heat while stirring for about 3 minutes

Add maggi and any other desired seasoning

Add rice and continue stirring

Add water [ if you aren't using broth] gradually to ensure you don't put excessive quantity of water, allow to boil.

Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook until almost all of the water/broth has evapourated.

Taste rice to see if it's well cooked- if so, turn off gas and serve, if not add a little more water/broth.

Enjoy!

Do you mean something like this, made with fish?
[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKfNDVGUT35acV3ea0dlXy3CaspstMg1TjADsH6hYPt-jj13B1[/img]

omg thank you ill try it soon, thank you, i dunno bout the fish stew maybe ill ask him wots its called later. cos the picture u have posted looks bit different. aslo hw many peppers do u put in?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Desola(f): 11:44am On Jul 31, 2011
For meat pie,

Ingredients
1 cup of plain flour
One bar of stork pastry butter cut in half
One teaspoon salt
Milk - 4 tablespoon
Eggs - 1
Beef(burger/beef sausage/minced meat)
Curry, thyme, ginger(powder), garlic(powdered) onion(powdered) maggi, salt.
Potatoe - mash potatoes will suffice.

Process:
First you want to make the shortcrust pastry.
Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and cut the butter into cubes(ensure that it is very chilled) and add to the flour. Using a food processor or food mixer, mix the flour and butter together until you get a crumbly looking mixture.

Next break the egg into the flour mixture, add the salt and the chilled milk and mix. You should mix to get a dough that completely lifts off the mixing bowl without leaving a mess. If th flour is still crumbly, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. Be careful not to put too much milk as this would make the end result too hard. You only need enough milk to bring the flour to form a dough. Once this is has been achieved, wrap the dough in a cling film and pop into the refrigerator.

Filling
In the mixe/food processor, mix the beef with all the dried seasoning and give it a good mix(include the maggi at this stage too).
In a hot frying pan, add a drizzle of your preferred oil, add diced onion and sautee for a few minutes. Now, add the beef and fry until cooked. You now need to add the mashed potatoe (and mixed veg if you so choose) to the beef mixture and give it a food mix to make a nice thick beefy paste(I do mine in the mixer).

Finally, you want to remove the dough from the fridge; roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out a circle using a pastry cutter. In the middle of the circle dough, place a scoop of the beef mixture and using a pastry brush, rub egg white around the dough (this is to give it a good seal), you then fold one side of the dough over to cover the filling and form a semi circle. Seal the ends with a fork and using a pastry brush rub some egg yolk on the top of the pastry to give a nice golden finish.

Be sure to have pre_ heated the oven @ 180 deg while making your filling. You should then place your pastry on a greaseproof oven sheet to prevent sticking and bake for 30mins.

Enjoy.d butter together until you get a crumbly looking mixture.

Next break the egg into the flour mixture, add the salt and the chilled milk and mix. You should mix to get a dough that completely lifts off the mixing bowl without leaving a mess. If th flour is still crumbly, add more milk, one tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. Be careful not to put too much milk as this would make the end result too hard. You only need enough milk to bring the flour to form a dough. Once this is has been achieved, wrap the dough in a cling film and pop into the refrigerator.

Filling
In the mixe/food processor, mix the beef with all the dried seasoning and give it a good mix(include the maggi at this stage too).
In a hot frying pan, add a drizzle of your preferred oil, add diced onion and sautee for a few minutes. Now, add the beef and fry until cooked. You now need to add the mashed potatoe (and mixed veg if you so choose) to the beef mixture and give it a food mix to make a nice thick beefy paste(I do mine in the mixer).

Finally, you want to remove the dough from the fridge; roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut out a circle using a pastry cutter. In the middle of the circle dough, place a scoop of the beef mixture and using a pastry brush, rub egg white around the dough (this is to give it a good seal), you then fold one side of the dough over to cover the filling and form a semi circle. Seal the ends with a fork and using a pastry brush rub some egg yolk on the top of the pastry to give a nice golden finish.

Be sure to have pre_ heated the oven @ 180 deg while making your filling. You should then place your pastry on a greaseproof oven sheet to prevent sticking and bake for 30mins.

Enjoy.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Recipes by basicgreek: 8:38pm On Aug 02, 2011
what's the best way to cook stockfish and how do you get it soft for cooking?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 11:34pm On Aug 02, 2011
basicgreek:

what's the best way to cook stockfish and how do you get it soft for cooking?
leave stockfish overnight in water and the next day boil the stockfish for 20 minutes and leave in the pot with the hot water to soak.i sometimes change the water and boil it more till it gets softer
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 11:36pm On Aug 02, 2011
Desola:

For meat pie,

Ingredients
1 cup of plain flour
One bar of stork pastry butter cut in half
One teaspoon salt
Milk - 4 tablespoon
Eggs - 1
Beef(burger/beef sausage/minced meat)
Curry, thyme, ginger(powder), garlic(powdered) onion(powdered) maggi, salt.
Potatoe - mash potatoes will suffice.

Process:
First you want to make the shortcrust pastry.
Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and cut the butter into cubes(ensure that it is very chilled) and add to the flour. Using a food processor or food mixer, mix the flour and butter together until you get a crumbly looking mixture.

Filling

Enjoy.d butter together until you get a crumbly looking mixture.

Filling

Enjoy.

if thats for me thank you very much but i asked the recipe for fish pies, i need to know what goes in the filling,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tpia5: 11:39pm On Aug 02, 2011
basically just fish, i assume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_pie
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 11:46pm On Aug 02, 2011
tpia@:

basically just fish, i assume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_pie

the fish pie is with pastry like meat pie used to eat it when i was leaving in greece made by an igbo lady i would like to know the nigerian way of making it, thanks for your answer but is not what i am looking for
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tpia5: 11:55pm On Aug 02, 2011
^^nigerian pies are british or scottish versions of the same thing.

but maybe someone else can help.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 11:58pm On Aug 02, 2011
tpia@:

^^nigerian pies are british or scottish versions of the same thing.

but maybe someone else can help.
well maybe it is what u say, but i would like to know what nigerians put inside i am sure i know that it has potato and carrots like the meat pie but i do not know if is only fresh fish or also smoked and stockfish. thanks anyway
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tpia5: 12:06am On Aug 03, 2011
you're welcome.

anything pie in nigeria is based on the british version, so you cant really go wrong with that.

i'm not sure it would have carrots and i believe the fish is boiled.

anyway, possibly someone knows more.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 12:09am On Aug 03, 2011
it has more spices and it does have carrots and potato, i have eaten it and is nothing like a british pie
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tpia5: 5:11pm On Aug 03, 2011
^Couldnt get any info on the web either.

The basic ingredients are british, and all you do is wrap the filling in a puff pastry and bake it.

Your friend might have improvised her own recipe i guess.

In nigeria, fish pie is generally considered poverty fare generally speaking, so most people would choose the meat pie over the fish one if given a choice. Besides, the meat pie tastes better.

Good luck with your search.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tpia5: 5:13pm On Aug 03, 2011
Basic ingredients are british means the food itself is originally british.

Not saying the fish needs to be british.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by OWLYBM(f): 6:52pm On Aug 04, 2011
You're wonderful! I KNOW my Seun isn't going to remember to bring me a cookbook,

Here's an example of what I am dealing with - this is his response to my asking what Maggi is, : "Maggi is what they in cooking food after adding salt. Its what makes it so delicious".

So, I will go to Portland, Maine, where there is a large community of Somalian people, and a good number of grocery stores that stock ingredients for African cooking. Am I correct in thinking that Maggi is like a beef, chicken, or vegetable cube that is dissolved in a dish to give it body and flavor?

Another concern: We are not able to obtain some ingredients such as cow skin - it's illegal here (when I think of how much of THAT we just disposed of, ). I'm a former homesteader, raised our own Angus cattle, pigs, chickens, and raised all our fruits, vegetables and culinary herbs, did all my cooking "from scratch". I'll need to substitute many types of meats, and would think that as long as I'm aware of the amount of fat needed in the substitute to ensure tenderness and flavor, all will be well. Do you agree?

Thank you for your help. I know that my Seun will eventually miss his native meals, though now he seems to want to eat American, I'm saving every one of your recipes!

Eat healthy, stay well!

Lizzie
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 9:14pm On Aug 04, 2011
tpia@:

^Couldnt get any info on the web either.

The basic ingredients are british, and all you do is wrap the filling in a puff pastry and bake it.

Your friend might have improvised her own recipe i guess.

In nigeria, fish pie is generally considered poverty fare generally speaking, so most people would choose the meat pie over the fish one if given a choice. Besides, the meat pie tastes better.

Good luck with your search.

i could also say that the basic ingredients are greek as we have plenty of fish in greece the problem is that i would like the exact ingredients that are put inside and how a nigerian would prepare it before folding it in pastry, i am sure meat pies taste pretty good but i love fish more than meat and i love the taste inside the pie, so if any one can tell me what to put inside my pastry and how to prepare the fish filling i would appreciate. thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by melmbaso: 6:59pm On Aug 14, 2011
PUFF PUFF,

i made puff puff yesterday and turned out very well in the end was a bit hard trying to get the right oil temp to cook the puff puff all the way through and not for it to burn fast but here is the recipe i made ,

1 cup of self raising flour
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon of dried yeast melted in small hot water
salt to taste
1 pint of water
oil to fry

mix the flour sugar water yeast vanilla nutmeg salt all together into a runny sticky dough but not too runny, leave it to rise in a warm place for an hour and get your oil temp right cook one at a time to make sure its not burning too fast and cooking all the way through, i used a small pot enough to cook 4 puff puff at a time in then cooked them on each side until very golden brown and wala ready

i found them nicer to eat when cool but they were nice few minutes after being cooked also they all finished within a few hours anyway my husband and cousin finished them in no time !!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by melmbaso: 7:09pm On Aug 14, 2011
MOYIN MOI,

BEANS FLOUR
WATER
HARD BOILED EGGS X 6
1 CAN OF CORNED BEEF
1 FILLET OF SMOKED FISH
CHILIES
1 CAN OF TOMATOES
SEASONING TO TASTE
CRAYFISH

MIX 1KG OF BEANS FLOUR WITH ALL YOUR SEASONING AND CRAYFISH BLENDED TOMATOES AND CHILIES AND THEN ADD ENOUGH WATER TO MAKE IT THE RIGHT CONSISTANCY NOT TOO THIN AND NOT TOO THICK THEN ADD IN SLICED BOILED EGGS AND ADD MASHED UP CORNED BEEF AND DICED SMOKED FISH FILLET MIX IT ALL TOGETHER SO ITS ALL COMBINED THOROUGHLY AND PLACE YOUR MIXTURE INTO FOIL TAKEAWAY TUBS ONLY HALF FULL AS IT WILL SLIGHTLY RISE, I STARTED TO BOIL THE MOYIN MOI IN A LARGE POT WITH SHALLOW WATER ONLY UP TO THE FIRST LEVEL OF MOYIN MOI BUT I FOUND IT WASNT COOKING WELL THIS WAY SO I GOT A DEEP ROASTING TIN OF ABOUT 4 INCHESPLACED AS MANY FOIL TUBS AS I COULD JUST 1 LAYER AND THEN FILLED THE ROASTING TIN WITH WATER MAKING SURE FOR IT NOT TO SPILL OVER THE FOIL TUBS MAYBE JUST 3/4 THE WAY UP THE TIN FOIL AND PUT THEM IN THE OVEN (THIS METHOD IS CALLED A BAIN MARIE) THEY COOKED VERY WELL AND WERE DELICIOUS, FROM NOW ON I WILL BE COOKING IN A BAIN MARIE LESS FUSS AND COOKED PERFECT, I HAVE AN INDUSTRIAL GRADE OVEN WHICH GETS EXTREMELY HOT THEY COOKED FOR ABOUT 15-20 MINS EACH BATCH YOU WILL NEED TO COOK YOUR OWN AT THE CORRECT TIME LENGTH ACCORDING TO THE HEAT OF YOUR OVEN
Re: Nigerian Recipes by IamtheMen: 9:48am On Aug 27, 2011
Re: Nigerian Recipes by gegetree: 11:45am On Sep 12, 2011
Hello,

I am new and I so love this thread. Please you guys should keep u the good work , can I also be cheeky by humbly requesting that a good samaritan should please send a copy of the lovely maggi e-book to my email addy: gegumtree@gmail.com. Thanks in advance. :-)
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2011
I am increasingly convinced that I'll have to visit Nigeria TWICE--once to see the sights and meet the delightful people and a second time just to enjoy all of the wonderful food! grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ujubekee: 2:38pm On Oct 05, 2011
Amaka1, thanks a lot for helping to bring our hubbies back home. Please can you send Magi cook book to me as well. My email is dorisuju@yahoo.com
God bless you richly.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaG29(f): 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2011
All these look amazing! Can't wait to start cooking.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kennygirl(f): 8:58pm On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka ur a great cook, i'm jst seeing dis 4 d first tym inbox me ur num (isabel4life007@yahoo.com) cheesy
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kennygirl(f): 8:58pm On Oct 22, 2011
Amaka ur a great cook, i'm jst seeing dis 4 d first tym inbox me ur num (isabel4life007@yahoo.com) cheesy
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Honeycity(f): 4:46pm On Oct 25, 2011
hi all,

kindly help with recipe on how to make ofada rice stew cheesy
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 2:44am On Oct 26, 2011
http://littlemissgastronome..com/2011/09/ayamase-ofada-stewsauce.html thats a detailed recipe for ofada sauce , enjoy!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Honeycity(f): 3:54pm On Oct 26, 2011
thanks luv kiss
Re: Nigerian Recipes by CarlB77(m): 8:11pm On Oct 27, 2011
Nigerian Chicken Stew

(serves 6)

Ingredients:

1 large chicken
8oz fresh chillies
2Ib fresh tomatoes
2 large onions
2 garlic cloves
1 small can pureed tomatoes
I tsp thyme
2 tsp chopped partminger leaves
2 onions (sliced)
1 tsp curry
5 cups soybean oil
Salt to taste

Directions:

Wash and cut chicken into 10-12 pieces. Season with salt. Cook in a large pan for 30-40 minutes with sliced onions, thyme and curry until tender.
In a 2nd pan, heat up half of the oil and fry the cooked chicken until brown but not too dry.
In a separate pot, heat the rest of the oil and fry the ground onions, chillies and tomatoes for 20 minutes until fairly dry. Add the tomato puree.
Stir 2nd pot thoroughly and add the fried chicken pieces.
Cook and simmer gently for another 10 minutes stirring frequently until well blended. Drain off excessive oil that rises to the top and finally stir in the chopped partminger leaves. Goes well with rice and plantains.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by effopsgraisse(m): 1:06pm On Nov 28, 2011

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.