Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (29) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348410 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by rossychic2: 5:44pm On Aug 19, 2010
Hello guys,my name is rossychic2.am a new member.i must say thumbs up for u guys.i have become soooooo addicted to this thread.i love cooking so much and i always want to learn.i do have some awesome recipes that i would post as soon as i get some pictures.meanwhile keep doing the good work.ciao!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by RLaw: 6:55pm On Aug 27, 2010
Hi. Does any1 knw how 2 make wara? How i crave dat delicacy. I want cookd nt fried. Also can some1 post mosa pls? Some1 requestd 4 buns recipe, i want2 knw too. The Jamaicans make dumpling n something that starts wiv v, coincidentally, they r buns/puff puff. Hey any zogbo lovers in the house? I want hausa method as ipposed2 sorrel pls (if any variation).
I wantd2 mention dat sierra leoneans make a sauce called tula. Its lyk apon. My mother-in-law cooks it wicked! Too much palm oil in their dishes though. Also they make plasas n palaver sauce too. I read an old post on palaver sauce n i tel my husbnd dat its a nigerian dish too.Looks lyk banga soup,does any1 knw d nigerian equivalent? They eat po-un (not sure of d spellun bt boy it is our dunkwa,theirs is just sugar ott). Anyhows, pls post fura de-nunu some1. I've requestd quite a few dishes just 4 future use.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by RLaw: 9:43pm On Aug 27, 2010
In my frantic search for wara,i came across an old post of yours Amaka. Thnx man. I've actually read up how2 make cheese on d web a while back but didn't know its d same4 wara. Also i came across ur thread for africans worst dish n u mentiond u hated ikokore but u actually posted d menu. Well done girl. Hey peeps theres an 'alhaji's cuisine' blog online. The man's cookin looks impressive. In d book u thought about compiling,promote this guys cooking. Yam balls any1 lol.

Wara https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-354064.0.html#msg4957935
Alhajis cuisine
Re: Nigerian Recipes by RLaw: 9:46pm On Aug 27, 2010
Alhajis cuisine http://alhajibabasheri..com/

Recipe for yam balls ne1?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cilnwanma(f): 10:48pm On Aug 29, 2010
Hi Amaka,

Nwanne madu well done my dear you make me feel am still in ikenegbu eating my grandma's food  wink.

i was wondering if you know something called Diet its like pancake but different i used to love it when i was a kid

thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by chika98: 1:35am On Aug 30, 2010
^^^ Yeah I remember "diet"
It is quite easy to make
Re: Nigerian Recipes by LegendaryG: 11:53am On Oct 05, 2010
I'm looking for the recipe for Okra soup. I loved this dish as a kid. My mom had a college friend from Nigeria who cooked some good dishes. From what I remember it was slimy,spicy, and good! It had spinach,crushed red pepper,chili powder,onions,oil,maggi seasoning and it was served with Fu fu though I liked it with rice. I had the beef version and the chicken version. Though I remember some of the ingredients I do not know how it's made really. I would love to have the recipe and any other versions of this great dish. Glad I came across this site as I've looked everywhere trying to find out how to make this. Thanks

LegendaryGamer
Re: Nigerian Recipes by WolesWife: 9:39am On Oct 07, 2010
Hello all, I am new here, and my husband will be coming here to The United States on Monday,Oct 11th.
Yay,i cant wait. Only problem is, he wants me to have Nigerian food ready for him to eat.I am a good cook,but Nigerian food seems to be difficult to prepare.
Please, someone give me easy recipes.He is Yoruba.
I really would appreciate it.
Thanks. undecided
Re: Nigerian Recipes by beckygirl(f): 3:40pm On Oct 07, 2010
hi amaka , pls i need fruit salad recipe and vegetable salad recipe thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by dejonimist(m): 5:05pm On Oct 22, 2010
Fresh Palm Oil/Snail Straight from Village farm for sale in Lagos. Office or Home delivery if required. Call 08085835828, 01-4015937. Limited stock available!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mplusp(f): 11:36am On Oct 24, 2010
@LegendaryG

To make Okro soup, you need the following ingredients:

* Okra – 250g
* Red Palm Oil – 3 cooking spoons
* Beef – Best cut
* Shaki - Cow Tripe (Optional)
* Fish – Iced Fish, Dry Fish, Stock Fish
* Crayfish
* Pepper and Salt to taste
* Onions - Optional
* Vegetable – Pumpkin leaves or Spinach (Washed & Frozen)
* Seasoning – 3 Maggi/Knorr cubes

Before you cook Okra Soup

About two hours before preparing the soup, boil the stockfish for 20 minutes and leave in the pot with the hot water to soak.

Cut the okra fingers into tiny pieces. To achieve this, you need to make a few vertical cuts followed by horizontal cuts on the okra fingers. Grind the crayfish and the dry pepper. Wash the pumpkin leaves, if it is your choice of vegetable, and cut into tiny pieces. If you will use frozen spinach, defrost and cut into tiny pieces.

Cooking Directions

If you will use shaki (cow tripe) for the soup, wash and boil till it is done. Add water sparingly because this soup needs to be thick. Add the soaked stockfish and dry fish to the cooked shaki. The length of time it will take to cook shaki depends on the cooking appliance utilized. You can take a bite to confirm this. The first sign of a well-done shaki is that the cuts will start curling on itself. When you are happy that the shaki and stock fish are well-done, add ground crayfish and pepper and steam for 5 minutes. Then set aside.

Wash the beef to be used for the soup and place in a pot, add some onions (optional) and start steaming. There is no need to add any water at this stage. Boil the meat for about 10 minutes and add seasoning (Maggi or Knorr cubes) then continue cooking. When the meat is done, add iced fish (if you will use iced fish) and two pinches of salt. Continue steaming for 5 mins. Then set aside.

Pour red palm oil in another pot and heat the pot to dissolve the oil if it is congealed. Add the diced okra and start frying, add some meat stock from time to time till you notice the okra start to draw. This process should take a maximum of 5 mins to avoid over-cooking the okra.

Now add the shaki stock, meat stock, pumpkin leaves and salt to taste. Then stir well. Cover the cooking pot and turn off the cooker. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Soup is ready!

PS: Shaki, Meat, Dry Fish, Ice Fish and Stock Fish must not all be used at the same time in preparing the okra soup recipe. If you can, by all means use all as they will add to the flavour. But if not, an okra soup prepared with only iced fish can equally taste good. So don't go and break the bank because of a pot of soup!

Onions is optional because while some people cannot bear the smell/taste of onions in okra soup, others are like "Okra soup without onions? No Way!"

So feel free to add and subtract ingredients but the minimum ingredients that make an okra soup are:
* Okra (of course)
* Palm Oil
* Beef/Iced or Dry Fish
* Crayfish
* Pepper and Salt (to taste)
* Vegetable
* Seasoning

Fluted pumpkin leaves are the best for okra soup but if you are outside Nigeria, this may be hard to come by so you can use spinach. But make sure it is the washed and frozen one. This works better than the fresh and leafy spinach as far as the Okra Soup recipe is concerned.

There are more Nigerian soup recipes at www.allnigerianrecipes.com/soups/index.html

Re: Nigerian Recipes by baani(m): 12:22am On Oct 25, 2010
amaka ur really d first, abg can u post if u hv one of the following twitter, website or blog, i really would like to follow you u up
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bamboke(f): 2:01pm On Oct 26, 2010
Hello Amaka, please I will be glad to get your cokkery book. I would be getting married to an Ibo guy soon and would love to learn their dishes. I am yoruba. Thanks a lot!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bamboke(f): 2:07pm On Oct 26, 2010
I have being punishing myself looking at the pictures on an empty stomach.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by spicy007(f): 11:24am On Nov 04, 2010
hi amakaone,
i would humbly request that you send the e-ccokbook to the following email address:
sessyspicy@gmail.com
thank you as you help my culinary cause and God bless
Re: Nigerian Recipes by NotNJA: 2:35am On Nov 14, 2010
Hi I new to dis . . . .

I attempted to cook pepper soup for my sick Nigerian husband tonight. 
Missed the pointers my friend gave me for want of a pen and the Internet denied me the haste I desired.
Even asked strangers on the street who may know what the ingredients I was given are. 
Is there any website(s) that puts Yoruba and English languages with Pictures all together? 
If it was not for this website and asking the sick man what "rodo" was? The food would have been a disaster!! 
In the last minutes I just cooked what I thought should taste right and assumed that one of the words associated with the quantity 20 leaves meant "thyme" or a whole heap of baby spinach.  LOL.

THE FOOD TASTED GREAT - HOT AND FLAVOURSOME GOAT MEAT, SAKI/TRIPE AND COW FOOT (POMO?) -
  grin  I  cheesy  AM  wink  VERY  smiley  PLEASED  smiley  WITH   wink  MY   cheesy  FINE   grin  SELF
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ajilete(f): 1:25pm On Nov 26, 2010
This one is for the food guru Amaka!
Please is there anyway you can put pictures of nigerian spices- uyayak and co on this thread and how to use them? Whenever i go to market i see loads of nigerian spices and have no idea what they are for. And there are a lot of recipes on this thread with indegenous spices that i dont knw, may know by sight but not by name. I used to have the coverted Maggi Kitchen cook book and it had all the spices, from hausaland, igboland etc , if there are any you know please enlighten me!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by digikid(m): 9:33pm On Dec 04, 2010
Hey Amaka, I am reposting your recipe posts on tastenaija.com which will also be on our iphone/ipad app. As such a great cook I would really like to discuss more with you about having a section on our site and possibly hosting some cooking shows. Please contact me at tastenaija.com as soon as possible.

Thanks
Ehi
TasteNaija
Re: Nigerian Recipes by verizon: 3:27pm On Dec 16, 2010
aunty amaka pls do u knw where i can get the maggie cookery book
i need the hard cover.please
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ALOBROWN: 1:00pm On Jan 04, 2011
Thanks a million for putting Nigerian cookery on the front burner, my kudos to you. even Rosegabriel Inst. appreciates people like you for making Africa proud.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Blazay(m): 1:01pm On Jan 04, 2011
This is for Shy-One.
Sorry, my files are too large and I cannot post the pictures here.
Copy them from my picture profile. Let me know if you have any problems. wink
Total cooking time. . .Less than 1 hour(preparation and cooking). cool

This is a very heavy dish(high in carb, protein and fat. . .NOT the healthiest of meals I must warn you) cheesy. . . eat for lunch only. Not for breakfast or dinner. Do not go to sleep after eating this meal. . .Only eat once a month, or let the skinny kids eat most of it. Just a mouth full sends them to sleep for hours.cheesy

*Boiled Yams(sold in African stores mostly)
You can also substitute with sweet/Irish/red-skinned/bake potatos
*Fried Plantains
*Egg/spinach/shrimp/corned beef/tomato casserole

Yams.
Not candid yams please o(found in tin cans) cheesy
Must be peeled and cooked first.
Yams are different and some could be over-cooked in only 10 minutes.
Peel and boil your yams like you would your potatos for like 10 minutes till semi done/cooked.
Salt to taste while boiling, not after.
Only cook for 15 minutes, pour away the water and let self-steam covered in a pan with a lid to avoid over-cooking.
Set aside when done by draining the excess water and transferring to a dish with a lid.\

Fried Plantains
Not bananas cheesy
Plantains are bigger than bananas and cannot be eaten without cooking them first unlike bananas.
No green plantains. . . too hard and unripe! Yellow plantains only. . . not over-ripe and soggy. . . .toooo sweet! cry
Peel your plantain(salt to taste) I prefer mine unsalted.
Fry till golden brown in peanut/canola/vegetable/olive oil(your choice) on medium heat.
When done, place in a sieve to drain the excess oil from the plantain.
Wrap in foil to keep moist and warm till ready to eat within 10 minutes.
Plantains cool the fastest, but may be reheated if needed.

Save the frying oil when cooled in a plastic container and can be reused for up to 6 months if stored in the refrigerator.
Set plantains wrapped in a foil and placed in a container(glass or plastic) till ready to eat, when the egg casserole dish is ready.

Egg/spinach/shrimp/tomato/corned-beef casserole
Depending on your family size and if you are having a one-course meal. . . you ingredient size may vary.

1. 6-12 eggs(more if you only use egg whites)

2. 1-pack of uncooked, deveined, tailess, frozen shrimp(15-30 count). You can used cooked if you prefer. I prefer the freshness of the uncooked shrimp/less salt too.

3. 1-2 cups of chopped spinach(frozen or fresh, your choice). I use frozen. If you love spinach, you can use more.

4. Half a can of Brazilian corned beef. . . If you love corned beef, you may use the whole can. If is full of SALT. . .so watch your spices so you don't over-salt this dish. cry

5. 3-4 red tomatos, pepper of your choice(I use hanebero hot peppers. . .JUST ONE. . .or my kids will NOT eat it cheesy) You can also use assorted bell peppers just for color and taste. I small Valdelia onion.

6. Your choice of cooking oil. I use Canola.

Rinse out your frozen shrimp and let thaw completely.
Slice, dice or chop your tomatoes, onions, peppers as you like them
Drain your spinach of excess water by defrosting for 5 minutes if frozen. Do not rinse out if frozen. Squeeze out excess water from your spinach.
Only rinse and drain the fresh spinach.

Use a large non-stick frying pan or cooking pot. Non-stick pans only to avoid scorching your casseroles.
Pour the desired quantity of oil usually 1 cup maximum to reduce the fat consumed.

Let your oil be warm not hot( I hate splashes) you will burn your meal and it will remain under-cooked.
Since you have a lot of ingredients in your casserole, let it cook/simmer slowly(takes 15-20minutes minimum). I like my eggs well-cooked.

Sautee your tomatoes, onions, peppers, spinach and corned beef first in your cooking oil using your cooking/frying pan. . .NO SKILLETS please(you food will run all over) cry
Turn frequently, to ensure all portions are equally/evenly done. Cook for only 10 minutes. AVOID HIGH TEMPERATURES.

Taste your half-cooked casserole FIRST before you spice and add your eggs! Corned-beef is high in sodium and you will have to be very careful not to over-salt your eggs.
Better to under-salt than over-salt, since you can alway add salt to your meal after cooking it, but you can NEVER remove the salt if you ruin your meal.

Beat your eggs thorougly to avoid different colorations of white vs yellow in your meal. . . unless you like multi-colored eggs. . .not a problem. Your choice.
Add eggs last because they cook in less than 5 minutes. Turn frequently as soon as you see the eggs solidify. Flip from one side to the other as needed.
It is normal to see your cooking oil disappear with the juices of the tomatos/spinach/corned beef/shrimp. Let it cook slowly and the moisture would evaporate, leaving the oil.
If you have excess oil after cooking, drain and discard.

Do not drain your meal while cooking. . . .Only after cooking to get rid of the excess oil only. Leave the juices in.

Serve with your pre-cooked yams and fried plantains. . .  tongue Beverage of your choice. cool

Store all left-overs in the refrigerator immediately when cooled. Eggs and spinach should be refrigerated to avoid contamination.

Bon-appetit! kiss
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tessybaby(f): 2:15pm On Jan 14, 2011
Poulet DG (Poulet Directeur Général) Cameroonian meal

What you need

One chicken, cut into serving-sized
One-quarter cup oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
One Maggi® cube and/or a one-inch piece of fresh ginger root (peeled and minced) or a teaspoon of powdered ginger and/or fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, celery leaf, etc.)
One garlic clove, minced
Two carrots, chopped
Haricots verts or thin French green beans, ends trimmed (optional)
Two or three sweet peppers (bell peppers): green, yellow, orange, or red, cleaned and chopped (optional)
Two tomatoes, chopped or canned tomatoes (optional)
one onion, chopped
What you do
If desired: Combine chicken, a tablespoon of oil, spices, carrots, green beans, and peppers in a bowl. (It's better to have most of the "optional" ingredients; carrots and bell peppers are the most common, tomatoes the least common.) Stir well. Let marinate for one to three hours.
Heat remaining oil in a very large skillet or dutch oven. Add onions and fry briefly, until they begin to become translucent. Add chicken and fry over high heat until lightly browned.
Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes which should be saved for last. Reduce heat. Do not cover.
Simmer, stirring regularly, until chicken is done and liquid partly evaporated, leaving some sauce. (Add warm water by the tablespoon if the pot becomes dry before the chicken is done.) Add tomatoes (if desired), and simmer for a few minutes more.
Serve with Rice, Miondo (Cameroon's version of Baton de Manioc & Chikwangue), and Fried Plantains.
The Poulet DG can be mixed with the fried plantains immediately before serving
Re: Nigerian Recipes by chumakk: 9:44pm On Jan 19, 2011
Do you consider your health as vital asset of wealth creation?
Tell us what you think.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Covenant-Medical-Fair/165553696814530
Re: Nigerian Recipes by netu: 1:24am On Jan 24, 2011
this ur recipes na smoke, tongue
, i don eat my dinner b4 but i don dey hungry.keep d good work.i love ur space.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ginspire: 2:11pm On Feb 07, 2011
hi does anybody know how to cook okra soup, using dry okro

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by DemKay(m): 8:00pm On Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone know how to make Nigerian Rock Buns (not puff puff)? Been scouring the web for this for about 2 and a half years now. Thanks all.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Albern: 10:23am On Mar 01, 2011
Hi all buddies, Thanks for the recipes Amaka,  Your recipes are seems good and have some sort of the good looks,  Must try this at the next weekend,  and have some taste and fun with my family and friends,  Thanks allot, Oakland Fitness Trainer
Re: Nigerian Recipes by spicy007(f): 6:19pm On Mar 10, 2011
@esthergodswill,
thanks for the maggi e-book recipe.
i appreciate it a lot
Re: Nigerian Recipes by OWLYBM(f): 8:36pm On Mar 11, 2011
Hello, I'm new on the site, well, kind of new, I'm in Maine, USA, my husband-to-be is in Lagos. He is convinced that he wants to eat American/Italian when he comes to me. I want to learn to cook Nigerian dishes, and though a very good cook, am a little apprehensive about finding the ingredients necessary for the dishes. Eventually, I'm hoping that he will encourage me to provide a variety of meals, both American and Nigerian. In preparation for that, could you please suggest a cookbook for him to bring with him? I've asked for a cookbook, and his response was that of a confused male, LOL! Thank you for your help!

P.S. your recipes look wonderful! Can't wait to try a few,

Liz

(1) (2) (3) ... (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.