Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (845) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367824 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Aventures, Spyder880, Skimanski, KolaShangOne, etc

Question for you guys.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen you guys build a 2 story house without building the lower floor partitions first. Is there a reason why you do not build the pillars and then deck before building out the partitions?

Thanks.

The basic structural difference is that the former is a load bearing wall while the latter is not. In other words, wall is a structural member in load bearing walls while its not a structural member in non load bearing walls.

In design, load bearing walls have loading limits. This load bearing walls approach their load limit with "3-4 suspended floors".

Reason being that, if ground floor walls are load bearing and building has 10 suspended floors above it, all that load will be factored into each and every load bearing wall below. So imagine the load of 10 suspended floors factored into a sandcrete wall at the ground floor, columns are more suitable for that job. So load bearing walls are deleted.

Since there are no load bearing walls, beams and columns must be built with perfection. Block work comes in the way of working towards building a perfectly vertical column.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:18pm On Jan 20, 2018
Aventures:
Great Lecture I concur in totality. Also in future it makes restructuring easier.

Well done sir. You are absolutely right

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:31pm On Jan 20, 2018
Truthinlife:

I appreciate sir.
I'm glad I could be of help.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 9:20pm On Jan 20, 2018
Gud evening Ogaz In d haus pls can d foundation of aw 4bedroom flat be done In 2days
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:07pm On Jan 20, 2018
bereiweris:
Gud evening Ogaz In d haus pls can d foundation of aw 4bedroom flat be done In 2days

Nooooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 11:06pm On Jan 20, 2018
bereiweris:
Yes and No.
If you have the required number of people working it can be achieved.
But save for 3 days.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 21, 2018
Fire Extinguishers/Fire Alarms

We talked about this before. For my USA friends, Costco has a fantastic sale going on for First Alert products.

Fire Alarm in each bedroom, kitchen, hallway. Fire extinguisher in kitchen and garage (each floor sha for una duplex lords). And a Carbon Monoxide detector in a central place. Many people were lost in 2017 due to generator fumes, etc

I picked extra fire alarm for my neighbors.

PS: These have 10 year life batteries in them.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peterphd(m): 7:29am On Jan 21, 2018
Hello house, I'm thinking of using PVC doors for my bathroom. I'm hoping to get some insight from experienced guys here. How good/bad is it? Durable? Thanks.

Cc skimanski, spyder880
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TonyHoysa: 8:02am On Jan 21, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Fire Extinguishers/Fire Alarms

We talked about this before. For my USA friends, Costco has a fantastic sale going on for First Alert products.

Fire Alarm in each bedroom, kitchen, hallway. Fire extinguisher in kitchen and garage (each floor sha for una duplex lords). And a Carbon Monoxide detector in a central place. Many people were lost in 2017 due to generator fumes, etc

I picked extra fire alarm for my neighbors.

PS: These have 10 year life batteries in them.
Really cool thing! Try jiji for sale !
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:35am On Jan 21, 2018
peterphd:
Hello house, I'm thinking of using PVC doors for my bathroom. I'm hoping to get some insight from experienced guys here. How good/bad is it? Durable? Thanks.

Cc skimanski, spyder880

You mean this door?

https://www.nairaland.com/1790503/decking-block-flats-port-harcourt/12
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:45am On Jan 21, 2018

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peterphd(m): 10:38am On Jan 21, 2018
spyder880:

You mean this door?

https://www.nairaland.com/1790503/decking-block-flats-port-harcourt/12

Not exactly. That one is on offer at 17k, doesn't look this thick though they are very similar. I'm worried about PVC in the kitchen because of fire and I'm worried the translucent door will be shattered by careless occupants
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:20am On Jan 21, 2018
rotecch77:
The https://www.nairaland.com/3851900/general-finishing-5bdrs-luxury-duplex/8#62852444
door is very ok , turkish made,I used it here.
This looks good
Is it advisable to use wooden doors for bathroom?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:23am On Jan 21, 2018
adanny01:

The basic structural difference is that the former is a load bearing wall while the latter is not. In other words, wall is a structural member in load bearing walls while its not a structural member in non load bearing walls.

In design, load bearing walls have loading limits. This load bearing walls approach their load limit with "3-4 suspended floors".

Reason being that, if ground floor walls are load bearing and building has 10 suspended floors above it, all that load will be factored into each and every load bearing wall below. So imagine the load of 10 suspended floors factored into a sandcrete wall at the ground floor, columns are more suitable for that job. So load bearing walls are deleted.

Since there are no load bearing walls, beams and columns must be built with perfection. Block work comes in the way of working towards building a perfectly vertical column.
Sir is it not the same functions blocks perform in both block + frame and only frame approach? I thought blocks are non load bearing in both?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:24am On Jan 21, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I think that type of cracks is called mapped cracking, this occurs a lot on plastered wall which may be due to the grade of the plaster sand ( very smooth plaster ) that is why we normally add stone dust to our plaster sand to minimize such cracks or due to the the temperature ( during harmattan season the plaster dry quickly due to loss of moisture ).

Such cracks can easily be corrected by screeding the wall after the wall had dried completely.
You don't have to worry about such
Stone dust or sharp sand sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:36am On Jan 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

Stone dust or sharp sand sir?

Any of the two will do
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:36am On Jan 21, 2018
From https://www.nairaland.com/4302665/how-house-got-burgled-over

“Sorry for ur lost items,That method of robbery is fast becoming stale, the latest is ,they enter through the roof.They shift the ceiling board and voila they r with u in ur room,then after successfully robbing everyone in the house, they leave through the front door.”

Jesu shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:37am On Jan 21, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Any of the two will do
Okay thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 12:23pm On Jan 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sir is it not the same functions blocks perform in both block + frame and only frame approach? I thought blocks are non load bearing in both?

In a bungalow with no columns, block wall is a load bearing member.

In a framed structure, block wall is strictly a partition and treated as imposed load. The structural integrity is unchanged with or without the block wall.

In a normal duplex for example, block wall is a dead load. Depending on the building design, the structural integrity of the building will be dependent on the walls. In this case the wall is part of the structure.

Dont forget that block wall is not the only partition type available.

My point is that the building design determines how it is built. My second point is that, in building 1-3 storeys, eccentricity of columns may not be a problem but when you go higher, column eccentricity is paramount. Eccentricity is the main reason why building frames is more difficult because level of accuracy must increase. You can build a single storey building by frame.

Have you heard of cranking of rebar. It is done where the eccentricity of column rebar has been missed. You cant get away with cranking in a high-rise frame structure. That will be a serious structural flaw that cant be ignored. Block wall in low rise buildings leads to eccentricity issues so you might wanna leave partitioning for later.

Also, because block wall is designed as imposed load, it is best practice load the structure only after concrete has cured for 28days.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 12:25pm On Jan 21, 2018
@Rubbish,in most home in nigeria we can't mentained wooden door (my own personal research) within few years you will see the door, sagging,cupping,decay, this also happend to some rooms doors also mostly match boarded doors, panel doors.
Thank God new innovations are in town now,

So to me you can use pvc doors ( but good one) Aluminium door, ( you can blend it with haco board or PERSPEX).

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Judecapon73(m): 1:19pm On Jan 21, 2018
I'm into aluminium fabrication, I suggest using aluminium door with deco board is the best for bathroom and toilet door ...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
rotecch77:
The https://www.nairaland.com/3851900/general-finishing-5bdrs-luxury-duplex/8#62852444
door is very ok , turkish made,I used it here.

But what is the present time price compared to when Spyder bought them for 25k. Price is why I changed my mind in using them. Instead I used 50mm Chinese steel doors for the bathrooms.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 3:09pm On Jan 21, 2018
Judecapon73:
I'm into aluminium fabrication, I suggest using aluminium door with deco board is the best for bathroom and toilet door ...

how safe is this especially for those of us that have younger children?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:33pm On Jan 21, 2018
peterphd:

Cc skimanski, spyder880
Are you referring to something like this.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peterphd(m): 7:10pm On Jan 21, 2018
bixton:
Yes, this is the exact one.
Cc skimanski, spyder880
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:12pm On Jan 21, 2018
adanny01:

In a bungalow with no columns, block wall is a load bearing member.

In a framed structure, block wall is strictly a partition and treated as imposed load. The structural integrity is unchanged with or without the block wall.

In a normal duplex for example, block wall is a dead load. Depending on the building design, the structural integrity of the building will be dependent on the walls. In this case the wall is part of the structure.

Dont forget that block wall is not the only partition type available.

My point is that the building design determines how it is built. My second point is that, in building 1-3 storeys, eccentricity of columns may not be a problem but when you go higher, column eccentricity is paramount. Eccentricity is the main reason why building frames is more difficult because level of accuracy must increase. You can build a single storey building by frame.

Have you heard of cranking of rebar. It is done where the eccentricity of column rebar has been missed. You cant get away with cranking in a high-rise frame structure. That will be a serious structural flaw that cant be ignored. Block wall in low rise buildings leads to eccentricity issues so you might wanna leave partitioning for later.

Also, because block wall is designed as imposed load, it is best practice load the structure only after concrete has cured for 28days.
Thanks for d explanation
Both though not too clear to me
I was thinking regardless of d approach adopted, frame is frame, one may maintain some level of accuracy than other. But i was thinking since they are of d same structural system, the block wall is going to be serving as curtain wall in both.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2018
rotecch77:
@Rubbish,in most home in nigeria we can't mentained wooden door (my own personal research) within few years you will see the door, sagging,cupping,decay, this also happend to some rooms doors also mostly match boarded doors, panel doors.

So to me you can use pvc doors ( but good one) Aluminium door, ( you can blend it with haco board or PERSPEX).
Thanks for d explanation
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:18pm On Jan 21, 2018
bixton:

Looks like wooden door
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meetdopi(m): 8:52pm On Jan 21, 2018
@Rotecch77, how much does this Pvc door cost? Do you sell this?

rotecch77:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:39pm On Jan 21, 2018
Yes @hajj and meetdopi,the door range 55-60k

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 10:59pm On Jan 21, 2018
Rubbiish:

Looks like wooden door
It's completely PVC. As long as you don't have children that will punch holes into it then it will stand the test of time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jan 21, 2018
What size is this tank?

Thanks (pun).

(1) (2) (3) ... (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) (848) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.