Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (886) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4391751 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MPVGoddess: 4:31pm On Mar 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

It’s the content of cement in the mix. Cement is the “glue” that binds either stone dust or sharp sand together in the blocks.

I don’t think the need to saw is worth the end result. IMHO.

Believe me I tried this fancy block work thing.

Thanks for your insight.

Takeaways:

1. Do this if you control the cement mix used to make the blocks
2. Don't do this with commercially sourced cement blocks

Thanks again for sharing the benefit of your vast experience.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 4:34pm On Mar 01, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shams040(m): 4:51pm On Mar 01, 2018
asids55:
hello house,what do you guys think of having two stair cases in a duplex built on half plot of land,and pls which roofing style is better

It good as the second will serve as escape route. I feel this roofing is more economical Dan the later.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 01, 2018
MPVGoddess:

Thanks for your insight.

Takeaways:

1. Do this if you control the cement mix used to make the blocks
2. Don't do this with commercially sourced cement blocks

Thanks again for sharing the benefit of your vast experience.

I have physically seen the saw and blades here:

http://ibadan.city.ng/listings/blessed-maduabuchi-nigeria-limited/

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:34pm On Mar 01, 2018
Dremca:
What could be the reason why smart lock is not commonly used in Nigerian homes.
So many reasons could be adduced to it but lack of efficient and constant power in Nigeria or epileptic power supply or even none for months in some areas, in view of that, I think most home owners will tilt to using something that will not give them too much headache , although battery and solar could argument for lack of power and that will bring additional cost which some homeowners might want to avoid wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dremca(m): 6:36pm On Mar 01, 2018
Or maybe cost of buying data for home WiFi in case of unlocking the home when not around for a third party.
AngelicBeing:
So many reasons could be adduced to it but lack of efficient and constant power in Nigeria or epileptic power supply or even none for months in some areas, in view of that, I think most home owners will tilt to using something that will not give them too much headache wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:38pm On Mar 01, 2018
Dremca:
What could be the reason why smart lock is not commonly used in Nigerian homes.

Please define Smart Lock.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:39pm On Mar 01, 2018
Dremca:
Or maybe cost of buying data for home WiFi in case of unlocking the home when not around for a third party.
That is also a factor but most homeowners just want to build, pack in, have their peace of mind, they will prefer something that will not give them too much stress

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 01, 2018
Nbg4real:
Good Morning all! please is it necessary to do over head beam after lintel and block work for ONE SLOPE ROOFING \ hidden roof?

CC: egunmogaji.

Here's a timely and professional answer to your question.

https://www.nairaland.com/4333870/building-one-small-house-design/2#65475733

CC: Darenyx

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 6:57pm On Mar 01, 2018
shams040:

It good as the second will serve as escape route. I feel this roofing is more economical Dan the later.

but don't you think having 2 in a duplex built on half plot of land will take space??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by asids55: 7:00pm On Mar 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Please what is the length and breadth of this design?
Thanks.
no idea yet

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chukzyfcbb: 7:16pm On Mar 01, 2018
AngelicBeing:
A family friend of mine bought 24 plots at igbesa at Ado Odo /ota local government area of ogun state, l went to the place to see things for myself and I bought several plots as well at 400,000 / per plot early last year, my family friend bought his lesser than mine, I bought not necessarily for farming and I was attracted to the area because of the Ogun state / China free trade zone, igbesa polytechnic, Crawford University, and several companies situated in that axis.
I went to a secondary school at igbesa, after about 11years I went there few weeks ago to collect my certfs. I was shocked to my bones!

I couldn't even recognise the school, development everywhere, fueling stations, industries.
If not that the school was built with bricks that I used for easy recognition, I would have missed my way.

This was a place that in 2007 you would even be scared to drive pass with your car because everywhere is all forest. Talks of ritualist was the norm way back 05/06/07 at the area.

Now everywhere around there has vastly improved. You did a very wise thing by investing there.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:30pm On Mar 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

I went to a secondary school at igbesa, after about 11years I went there few weeks ago to collect my certfs. I was shocked to my bones!

I couldn't even recognise the school, development everywhere, fueling stations, industries.
If not that the school was built with bricks that I used for easy recognition, I would have missed my way.

This was a place that in 2007 you would even be scared to drive pass with your car because everywhere is all forest. Talks of ritualist was the norm way back 05/06/07 at the area.

Now everywhere around there has vastly improved. You did a very wise thing by investing there.
That axis has developed astronomically and more industries are trooping there, like I said before, the only draw back to me is the bad roads, I heard from different landowners and omoniles that winner's Chapel led by Oyedepo wanted to grade the entire road from Canaan land church all the way to igbesa to Agbara estate but Ogun state government said that the money should be given to them to do it themselves and the church leaders backed out because inside sources told the church that the government will swallow the money like a snake and just patch the road.

Most of the private companies were also ready to do it but ogun state government wants the cash which none of the companies is ready to give them and hence the road is left undone but in terms of development without exaggeration we have about 200 SME's in that axis apart from the big boys like Unilever, Nestle foods, Glaxo smitkline, several banks etc but I am certain they will fix the roads, power supply in that axis averages between 12 to 17 hours daily
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chukzyfcbb: 7:39pm On Mar 01, 2018
AngelicBeing:
That axis has developed astronomically and more industries are trooping there, like I said before, the only draw back to me is the bad roads, I heard from different landowners and omoniles that winner's Chapel led by Oyedepo wanted to grade the entire road from Canaan land church all the way to igbesa to Agbara estate but Ogun state government said that the money should be given to them to do it themselves and the church leaders backed out because inside sources told the church that the government will swallow the money like a snake and just patch the road, most of the private companies were also ready to do it but ogun state government wants the cash which none of the companies is ready to give them and hence the road is left undone but in terms of development without exaggeration we have about 200 SME's in that axis apart from the big boys like Unilever, Nestle foods, Glaxo smitkline, several banks etc but I am certain they will fix the roads, power supply in that axis averages between 12 to 17 hours daily
ohh the roads, its simply because of the development. when I was in ss3, boiz during the summer use to drive thier parents car and see who could outrace each other on that Igbesa road. Doing 120km/hr was a normal thing way back 05/06 and yes I was very surprised to see roads in that pisspoor state.

But later I understood it to be because of the increasing human population, so the road will be subjected to more wear and tear.

I was just leaving ss3 when Crawford university was launched. My school is Loral Int Sch by the way.
Don't worry about the roads, as long as industries flock in there, its just a matter of time before it becomes the next GRA.

You wont understand how surprise I felt sha,lol
In my life I didn't think that area would open up like that,lol

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chukzyfcbb: 7:43pm On Mar 01, 2018
after observing how that place has grown in the last 11years.

I now make it a mandatory, that if you must buy an land, Please always check if that area will bring employment.

Any land within an area that will not bring employment to the area either via schools/Market/etc doesn't have potential.

That Igbesa alone taught me a lot I need for my future sojourns.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:50pm On Mar 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

ohh the roads, its simply because of the development. when I was in ss3, boiz during the summer use to drive thier parents car and see who could outrace each other on that Igbesa road. Doing 120km/hr was a normal thing way back 05/06 and yes I was very surprised to see roads in that pisspoor state.

But later I understood it to be because of the increasing human population, so the road will be subjected to more wear and tear.

I was just leaving ss3 when Crawford university was launched. My school is Loral Int Sch by the way.
Don't worry about the roads, as long as industries flock in there, its just a matter of time before it becomes the next GRA.

You wont understand how surprise I felt sha,lol
In my life I didn't think that area would open up like that,lol
You are right, the Chinese free trade zone is a big one for that axis, apart from the main head quarters of Winners Chapel, they met with the igbesa elders and landowners, the church has paid for thousands of acres of land, they said it was a big ceremony, everything was documented properly, it was also covered by video and media team of the church, lawyers from both sides were all involved, just to avoid future problems incase the old generation of igbesa elders passes on so that the current youth will not come fighting the church to reclaim the land. Lol

Obasanjo also bought thousands of acres in that axis, I know they will fix the roads eventually and that axis will become another ikeja. Lol, I will eventually buy more and fence it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 7:52pm On Mar 01, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

I now make it a mandatory, that if you must buy an land, Please always check if that area will bring employment.

Any land within an area that will not bring employment to the area either via schools/Market/etc doesn't have potential.

l agree, before Crawford University, there is another private University few kilometers away from Lusada that bought hundreds of acres, they have not started though but I saw the signpost
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 01, 2018
good evening,

please does anyone know where i can get these locally [in lagos/abuja?]

they are called datum markers

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Yhunoos: 9:32pm On Mar 01, 2018
Hello! Good Day all, I just graduated from FUTMINNA, Building department and I just relocated to Lagos. I was wondering if I can find someone here who I can follow to construction sites so I can gain site experience before I proceed for my youth service. it would be of great help if anyone can help with this as I am so eager to learn and be of any assistance.. thank you in advance.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dremca(m): 9:58pm On Mar 01, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Please define Smart Lock.

The 2nd generation August smart lock.
A smart lock is an electromechanical lock which is designed to perform locking and unlocking operations on a door when it receives such instructions from an authorized device using a wireless protocol and a cryptographic key to execute the authorization process. It also monitors access and sends alerts for the different events it monitors and some other critical events related to the status of the device. Smart locks can be considered part of a smart home.
Source-https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_lock
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shams040(m): 10:06pm On Mar 01, 2018
asids55:

but don't you think having 2 in a duplex built on half plot of land will take space??

You can make it spiral or dog leg
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lafolabi(m): 1:14am On Mar 02, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lafolabi(m): 1:17am On Mar 02, 2018
Building Construction Of 8 Units Of 2bdroom Butterfly Estste Agric Ikorodu

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 3:26am On Mar 02, 2018
Quick question for the house. What is the going rate for an expert plumber installing new construction bathroom with fitted pipes? Installation involves toilet set and shower fixtures, no tub. Just toilet seat and tank, basin and pedestal, shower mixer and standing shower pole. I would appreciate a hint.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 7:12am On Mar 02, 2018
asids55:

what kind of cost can one run into in the long run?

let me put it in simple words = parapet roof are more expensive to maintain
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:48am On Mar 02, 2018
saydfact:

let me put it in simple words = parapet roof are more expensive to maintain

Can you explain further on this? What kind of maintenance does parapet requires? Thanks.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 12:21pm On Mar 02, 2018
lafolabi:
Building Construction Of 8 Units Of 2bdroom Butterfly Estste Agric Ikorodu

You seem to have quite a few projects under your belt - just checked your profile. Why are you not more active here?

Your 'trumpet' deserves to be blown more loudly.

I wish you continued good luck in your endeavors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 1:07pm On Mar 02, 2018
mufutau55:

Can you explain further on this? What kind of maintenance does parapet requires? Thanks.

Hajji M.

Parapets are walls above roof (i'm not referring to concrete facial which are popularly referred to as parapet but technically aren't)

On the maintenance i was referring to = WATERPROOFING (FELTING SYSTEM), FLASHING AND CAPPING - in simple terms the point where the roof materials meet the block walls etc.. see pics attached.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:41pm On Mar 02, 2018
nwaorlu:
Quick question for the house. What is the going rate for an expert plumber installing new construction bathroom with fitted pipes? Installation involves toilet set and shower fixtures, no tub. Just toilet seat and tank, basin and pedestal, shower mixer and standing shower pole. I would appreciate a hint.

Cc. Tppsy23 and roteck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:42pm On Mar 02, 2018
How spyder880 I dey ya local government o grin grin
Lovely view here

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:20pm On Mar 02, 2018
saydfact:

Parapets are walls above roof (i'm not referring to concrete facial which are popularly referred to as parapet but technically aren't)

OK. Thanks. I thought it was the above.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2018
Yes Sir, l love that area. I'm currently building in OPic State Agbara. That place is so underrated. But those who knows; know, and are taking advantage of the local economy.

chukzyfcbb:

(1) (2) (3) ... (883) (884) (885) (886) (887) (888) (889) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dammybrite, gbadexy(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.