Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana (16975 Views)

Why I Didn’t Attend Buhari’s Meeting With Governors - Fayose / I Never Supported Ex-president Jonathan Anti Corruption Style – Falana Says / Falana Denies Praising Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by LocalChamp: 6:18pm On Aug 26, 2015
I didn’t praise Jonathan’s anti-corruption style – Falana

AUGUST 26, 2015 : ADE ADESOMOJU, ABUJA

Human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), on Wednesday denied claims that he approved of the approach former President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration adopted to fight corruption.
Falana, in a statement, said “some misguided fellows” attributed to him in his recent interview with Channels Television, a suggestion that the Jonathan administration fought corruption in a more civilised way.
“I challenge the reactionary forces that have twisted and manipulated my views to reproduce any statement made by me suggesting that ex-President Jonathan fought corruption in a civilised manner,” he said.
He said the claim was part of a desperate move to discredit President Muhammadu Buhari’s anti-corruption policy and to link him with forces of corruption that were fighting back against the policy.

He said, “In a desperate move to discredit the anti corruption programme of the Muhammadu Buhari admistration some misguided fellows have attempted to link me with the forces of corruption that are fighting back in the country.
“I was alleged to have ‘suggested’ in an interview with Channels television, that (former) President Jonathan fought corruption in a more civilised manner than President Buhari. I never made such a stupid statement. Hence, the ‘suggestion’ ascribed to me is grossly misleading and downright dishonest.”
Falana had said in the interview that the National Peace Committee, led by a former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar, was only protecting the interest of the rich.
He said in his statement on Wednesday that the much that he said about Jonathan administration’s fight against corruption was that the administration recovered $970m from the loot of the late former Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha.
He said, “In accusing the influential members of the National Peace Committee of gargantuan hypocrisy, I did say that tbeir chairman, General Abbdulsami Abubakar, even probed the dead and recovered property and over $1bn from Abacha loot which are contained in the Forfeiture Decree No 45 of 1999.
“With respect to President Jonathan, I did say that his administration recovered $970m from the said Abacha loot and sacked three of his ministers. I never said that those actions were taken quietly as they were announced and celebrated in the media by the Jonathan administration.
“Consequently, I questioned the motive of the members of the National Peace Committee in calling for ‘soft landing’ for corrupt people. Convinced that the call was a demonstration of class solidarity I urged the Buhari administration not to be deterred in prosecuting the anti-corruption war.
“In fact, I did not hesitate in supporting President Buhari’s anti-corruption policy by citing section 15 of the Constitution, which has imposed a duty on the the Nigerian State to abolish corrupt practices and abuse of power.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/i-didnt-praise-jonathans-anti-corruption-style-falana/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 26, 2015
I see
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by doctokwus: 6:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
People just damage their reputation with silly statements.
In trying to be too clever,Falana has roped himself into a regrettable path.
Unfortunately what would stick in the minds of many is where he was interpreted to have endorsed the clueless fisherman's "anti corruption" efforts;not this clarification.
Damage done already.

42 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by doublewisdom: 6:33pm On Aug 26, 2015
Typical nmanu man! Speaking from both sides of his mouth!

26 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:43pm On Aug 26, 2015
Another saTANist's lie busted.

62 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by BannedOtherView: 6:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
Unsad:
Falana, a typical Yoruba. Curse yesterday and bless today. Smh.
I've always said it that GEJ would be praised when he leaves office by the same Nigerians who cursed him. I miss you GEJ, even though PMB is way better.

Shut your putrid mouth! Falana appraised all preceding administrations and not just Jonathan's, in that interview.
It is of course no surprise that @OP went to town with his own head-line, which puts a different spin on things. The is what is expected of all those signed up to Jonathan's cult of personality.

For more objective commentators, here is a proper account of the same interview:

Anti-corruption War: Falana Tasks Prosecution Agencies On Proper Investigation

A Nigerian lawyer has stressed the need for prosecuting agencies to aid the fight against corruption by doing a more serious job and “not rushing cases to court without proper investigation”.

Mr Femi Falana was giving his opinion on the efforts of the Muhammadu Buhari’s administration to tackle corruption and recover looted funds.

“I think so far so good.

“Pursuant to section 15 of the Constitution. Every government in Nigeria is mandatorily required to fight corruption. The provision is to the fact that the Nigerian state shall abolish corrupt practices and abuse of power,” Mr Falana stated.

He further said that every administration both military and civilian, had to an extent fought corruption, giving instances of their efforts.

“Since the Sani Abacha period, every government has tried one way or the other to fight corruption.

“The Abacha junta that enacted the advance fee fraud and failed bank decree dealt with certain banks’ executives.

“The Abdulsalami Abubakar’s junta investigated General Sani Abacha’s junta and not less than one billion dollars was recovered in terms of money and other assets.

“The General Ababakar era enacted the forfeiture decree.

“Even President Jonathan fought corruption in his own way, you will be surprised,” Mr Falana stated.

He explained that last year, when the government had to withdraw the charges against Mr Mohammed Abacha after 14 years, the office of the Attorney General issued a statement to the fact that the withdrawal was occasioned by the fact that $ 970 million from the Abacha loot has been recovered by the Jonathan government.

“Under that government, $ 458 million was also forfeited by the United States government which has not been repatriated yet.

“Through some plea bargain, that is what they call it, the Jonathan government made about $ 120 million.

“Every government in Nigeria investigates the past, usually the previous government.

“For the past 16 years, the PDP and the Abubakar Junta recovered about $ 3.2 billion from the Abacha loot. It is the most successful loot recovery in the world,” he explained.

For the fight against corruption in Nigeria to record meaningful achievement, the Lawyer suggested that the government should provided an enabling environment for people to expose corruption and give the anti-graft agencies the autonomy, recognised by law, to prosecute those indicted for corruption.

Some Nigerians have also accused some court judges of corruption, but the lawyer dismissed the assumptions, saying that there are incorruptible judges in Nigeria, giving instances where Nigerian judges had ensured that funds fraudulently collected from a bank in Brazil was recovered.

“What Nigeria needs is the current practice of having special divisions of the regular courts and ensure that they are manned by judges who understand what corruption is all about.”

He said that an Act enacted by the former administration – the Administration of Justice Criminal Act – had put an end to some anomalies in the law that had given suspected criminals the opportunity to seek orders stopping their trial.

“Under section 2(493) of that law, you can no longer stay proceedings in a criminal trial or suspend any trial. All objections must now be considered along with the main case.

“The law mentioned earlier has now provided that trial of criminal cases in Nigeria, including corruption cases and cases of terrorism, will now be conducted day by day. Where it is impossible to do that adjournment must not go beyond 14 days in between,” he said.

Mr Falana further stressed the need for all Nigerians to be treated equally by prosecuting agencies before the law, condemning situations where the rich are not even handcuffed while the poor get unfair treatments during their arrest.

The post Anti-corruption War: Falana Tasks Prosecution Agencies On Proper Investigation appeared first on Channels Television.

55 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by BannedOtherView: 6:47pm On Aug 26, 2015
doublewisdom:

^^^TANoids are forever chasing vainglory.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by nerodenero: 6:47pm On Aug 26, 2015
Consequently, I questioned the motive of the members of the National Peace Committee in calling for ‘soft landing’ for corrupt people.
A commoner steals, he is either jailed or shot dead. A polithiefcian loots, he is given Cthieftaincy title, walks free and wins election again. This can only happen in Nigeria.

It's not surprising that the head of National Peace Committee is seeking soft-landing for his partners in looting. Nigerians only overlooked his SINS because he handed over to a democratically elected government.

4 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by RockMaxi: 6:56pm On Aug 26, 2015
doublewisdom:

You are a complete opposite of your handle. Wisdom should have guided you to look for the original article and not relying on the propaganda been circulated.

32 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by justi4jesu(f): 6:48am On Aug 27, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by EagleScribes: 6:49am On Aug 27, 2015
We have heard you. Kindly join the support on the current anti-corruption crusade.

Next please!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Ilekeh(f): 6:50am On Aug 27, 2015
Jonathan and PDP just wan destroy man's reputation the same way they destroyed Nigeria.

It is a lie! Get behind him, Satan!

5 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by kennyman2000(m): 6:50am On Aug 27, 2015
Okay oooo
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by ezeonline2(m): 6:51am On Aug 27, 2015
This man is double standard kiss

6 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by warrior01: 6:51am On Aug 27, 2015
Speaking from both sides of the mouth, what a trade mark

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Beehshorp(m): 6:51am On Aug 27, 2015
Buhari comes into power and the only thing he has suceeded in doing so far is to probe everybody and sack everybody in the past administration all in the name of fighting kwaraption.

Gej we miss u

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 27, 2015
What anti-corruption style did that clueless buffoon have? cheesy

Clowns. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by boman2014: 6:52am On Aug 27, 2015
hehehe.......... grin

WETIN MAN NO GO HEAR

you said this....
no!! i said no such thing....
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by mrborntodoit: 6:53am On Aug 27, 2015
Journalists !

Nigerian journalists and news editors needs to be flogged with a cane soaked in dry gin angry

3 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by veekid(m): 6:53am On Aug 27, 2015
you for praise him nah
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Franchise21(m): 6:54am On Aug 27, 2015
OK
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2015
Okay
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by jideprof: 6:54am On Aug 27, 2015
undecided Yeye Dey Smell

What Reasonable Thing Was Achieved With The Recovered Abacha's Loot?

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 27, 2015
Anyone who sees anything good in Jonathan's Govt is not only a fool, but an Enemy of Nigeria's Future.

15 Likes

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by fergus0n: 6:56am On Aug 27, 2015
I will comment wenever mama peace starts lecturinq english language
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by sunnywhyt(m): 6:56am On Aug 27, 2015
Ok oo
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Ola17: 6:56am On Aug 27, 2015
Noted
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by otigbagba: 6:57am On Aug 27, 2015
LocalChamp:

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-didnt-praise- jonathans-anti-corruption-style-falana/
watched the interview. ..wondered how Gejites got their conclusion from.Is all d wailing strategy

1 Like

Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by Ola17: 6:58am On Aug 27, 2015
Ok
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by ghostdvirus(m): 6:58am On Aug 27, 2015
Re: I Didn’t Praise Jonathan’s Anti-corruption Style – Falana by hisgrace090: 6:59am On Aug 27, 2015
I for say!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fashola Laments Lagos-Ibadan/2nd Niger bridge Budget Cuts by NASS / Ambode Receives Governor Ganduje And Emir Sanusi Ahead Of Lagos Kano Summit / Emefiele Fulfills Bail Conditions, Secretly Released From Kuje Prison - Whistler

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.