Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,898 members, 7,828,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. (21804 Views)

Petrol Bombs Recovered From Nnamdi Kanu’s House In Umuahia By Soldiers - Police / Femi Falana: "Buhari Should Withdraw Soldiers From Nnamdi Kanu's Residence" / Blame Nnamdi Kanu If Violence Erupts In Nigeria: Northern Coalition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by kramer: 1:58am On Aug 28, 2015
menabadoo:
What is the Yoruba name for Lagos?
Eko is benin word

Tune in to radio Biafra Lagos, its airing now.

menabadoo:
you mean ojukwu? So lagos no get yoruba name sha. Lagos is not yoruba land after all, thanks to Nnamdi kanu.

How does this prove anything?

Even the name Lagos was coined by the portugese so does that mean the Portuguese own Lagos?

Same with Nigeria which is an English name

2 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by winniz: 2:20am On Aug 28, 2015
kramer:

Even the name Lagos was coined by the portugese so does that mean the Portuguese own Lagos?

Lagos was previously called "Eko" by its kingdom of Benin conqueror, before the Portuguese the first European settlers renamed it to Lagos which means "Lake" in Portuguese.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by kramer: 2:33am On Aug 28, 2015
winniz:

Lagos was previously called "Eko" by its kingdom of Benin conqueror, before the Portuguese the first European settlers renamed it to Lagos which means "Lake" in Portuguese.

That's correct but it still does not prove anything. It's likely that before it was called Eko it had a different name called Oko

http://www.hubert-herald.nl/NigeriaL.htm

CC: menabadoo

1 Like

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by wytecat: 2:46am On Aug 28, 2015
Ereko/Erekoshun = Eko is a Yoruba word given to Lagos Island by the Ijebus and other Yoruba. And since all Yorubas sound almost the same and written the same, this is a general name for Lagos in every Yoruba dialect.

Just as

Oko-Odu = Ikorodu.

Now tell me what this words mean in Benin/Bini.

War =
Camp =

This very question is directed at Kanu Nnamdi, the Ibos and the Binis who think Lagos is not Yoruba's.

I've answered Op's question, now it's time to answer one too, and we can go from there.

Waiting please!

3 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Brooklynsouth(f): 5:01am On Aug 28, 2015
Fash20:
Yorubas are too gentle. Tell that clown to come to Hausa land and get he's brother into trouble.
abuja next

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by kehinde1588(m): 6:38am On Aug 28, 2015
honourhim:

Noise maker. Just tell us the yoruba name of Lagos. Hijacking a Bini settlement and calling it a yoruba land over the years is a criminal act. REPENT!!!
Sorry bro I feel your pain,I wish Lagos could be owned by igbos.Enemy of progress na jealousy and hatred go kill una

2 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 28, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Do not be afraid my son.
wink I know u are shiting in our pant, when u saw deport in my post.
how's ur father?
like I said before, the Yoruba name for Lagos is Ojuku.
oya hang urself cool
If yo-robber name for Lagos is Ojukwu, that means that Lagos is indeed a no mans land. I know you're worried on how yo-robbers are afraid to handle their so-called visitors. by the way, how is your mother?
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by phyllosilicate(m): 7:09am On Aug 28, 2015
The Benis named Lagos Eko after its conquest, the same Benis have never claimed Lagos. I am Edo and you don't hear an Edo man saying Lagos is not a yoruba land. We don't claim people's land. I am surprised that people whose ancestors couldn't conquer an ant hill, are the ones claiming people's land.

The problem is that Yorubas are too cool headed, this same people that are dragging lagos, bow their head walking with humility in Benin.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 28, 2015
Gravanno:

What's the meaning of Biafra in ibo? Biafra is a no man's land. Ibo fool.
Biafra means " come and join" now, tell us the meaning of Lagos.
Useless yo-robber maggot!
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Fash20: 8:22am On Aug 28, 2015
Brooklynsouth:
abuja next
tell hin to come to kano. Where igbos are much.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by WIZGUY69(m): 9:26am On Aug 28, 2015
ekenedegreat:
If yo-robber name for Lagos is Ojukwu, that means that Lagos is indeed a no mans land. I know you're worried on how yo-robbers are afraid to handle their so-called visitors. by the way, how is your mother?

Yes!

A foolish question requires a Foolish answer,therefore the Yoruba name for Lagos is ojuku.
oya hang urself.
grin mumu.
my mother just finished paying your slowpoke father salary.
dot worry hunger no go kill una.
ndo wink

3 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by hoobs(m): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2015
honeywealth75:

All dis yeebos self theyy tot evrybdy is an iliterate just like they are, the yorubas have one of the best cultures and rich histories, Lagos is not even an english word but a portugese word, there is also a city in portugal called Lagos, so Eko was never the yoruba meaning of Lagos. And Oba of benin is a descendant of a yoruba clan, Oduduwa, ask ur self why is the king of benin nt called obi of benin, bt OBA of benin, and Oba is a yoruba word. Try anything stupid in Lagos and we will sacrifice u pple to d lagoon
a big fat lie!,it was the Binis that installed Obas in ur lands jux like the fulanis installed an Emir,the only original ruler the yourbas have is the Onni of Ife,datz y itz not called Oba of ife
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Christistruth00: 10:52am On Aug 28, 2015
THE MEANING AND ORIGIN OF EKO IN YORUBA

EKO IN YORUBA IS SHORT FOR EREKO WHICH MEANS FIELD, (EREKO ILE) MEANS ISLAND IN YORUBA.TO CONFIRM THIS YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND.IN ANCIENT TIMES (BEFORE COLONISATION) EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND WAS A MAJOR MARKET TO WHICH YORUBAS USED TO GO FROM ALL OVER.IT WAS ALSO THE SEAT OF POWER OF PRINCE KOSOKO BEFORE HE ASCENDED THE THRONE TO BECOME OBA OF LAGOS IN 1845.THE POWERFUL PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO (EREKO WAS HIS CHIEFDOM AND BASE) WAS PRACTICALLY THE LORD AND RULER OF LAGOS ISLAND .HE WAS THE MAIN MIDDLEMAN BETWEEN THE YORUBAS AND THE EUROPEAN POWERS ESPECIALLY THE PORTUGESE .THE INTERIOR YORUBA INCLUDING THE IBADAN ARMY DEPENDED HEAVILY ON PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND HIS FELLOW EREKO (EKO)TRADERS(LIKE MADAM TINUBU OF TINUBU SQUARE ON LAGOS ISLAND FAME) FOR THE EUROPEAN ARMS, AMMUNITION AND GUN POWDER USED TO DEFEND YORUBALAND WHEN THE YORUBAS HAD THEIR BACKS TO THE WALL AND THE FULANI JIHAD WAS UPON THEM. IN RETURN THEY SOLD HIM THEIR SURPLUS WAR CAPTIVES (SLAVES) .AS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO'S WEALTH AND POWER GREW THE NAME EREKO (EKO) CAME TO MEAN ALL OF LAGOS AS HE WAS IN CONTROL OF TRADE ALONG THE WHOLE OF THE LAGOS COAST .

IN TODAYS TERMS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO WAS THE MAFIA DON OF LAGOS.

IF PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO EVEN AS MUCH AS SNEEZED,EVERYBODY IN THE SLAVE TRADE CARTEL FROM LAGOS ISLAND TO THE SOKOTO CALIPHATE IN NORTHERN NIGERIA TILL MARADI IN THE NIGER REPUBLIC WAS GOING DOWN WITH THE FLU LIKE DOMINO"S. QUEEN VICTORIA OF ENGLAND,THE KING OF PORTUGAL ,THE SPANISH FLEET AND THE GOVERNMENT OF BRAZIL HEARD THE NEWS.

IT WAS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND THE KING OF DAHOMEY THAT SOLD THE ANCESTORS OF THOSE YORUBA SPÈAKING BRAŹILIANS.MANY OF THE GLOVERS HAUSA"S USED BY CAPTAIN GLOVER TO FORM THE FIRST POLICE FORCE IN LAGOS (THE PREDECESSOR OF THE NIGERIAN POLICE AND ARMY) WOULD HAVE ENDED UP AS PART OF KOSOKO AND HIS GANG'S (SLAVE TRADERS) CARGO TO BE SHIPPED OFF TO BRAZIL IF THE BRITISH HAD NOT RUDELY INTERUPTED THEIR BUSINESS YEARS EALIER..

PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO OWNED LAGOS.

IN 1841 WHEN OBA AKITOYE OF LAGOS IN HIS GOD GIVEN WISDOM DARED TO BAN THE SLAVE TRADE, PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND HIS GANG DEALT WITH THE KING OF LAGOS EVICTED HIM FROM THE THRONE.

AFTER HE BECAME THE OBA OF LAGOS IT WAS KOSOKOS UNRELENTING SLAVE TRADING ACTIVITIES THAT BROUGHT HIM INTO HEAD ON COLLISION WITH THE BRITISH WHO HAD ABOLISHED SLAVERY IN 1807 AND WERE THE MAIN SCOURGE OF THE POTUGESE SLAVE SHIPS THAT PLIED THE COASTS OF LAGOS AND DAHOMEY.EVENTUALLY THIS LEAD TO THE BOMBARDMENT OF LAGOS AND OBA KOSOKO"S DETHRONEMENT BY THE BRITISH IN 1851 AND OBA AKITOYE"S REINSTATEMENT AS KING OF LAGOS.

THANKS.
ONLY Jesus HEALS BITTERNESS

3 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by VirginFinder: 11:33am On Aug 28, 2015
menabadoo:
[s]I'm not sure you saw the walls of a primary school.

Eko is the word

Eko means war camp in bini

How does it sound like OKO?

And bini conquered Yoruba's.[/s]

You are a dullard!
You can never learn!!
Eko is not pronounced like the Bini version
There was a farm before a war camp.

2 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2015
okhiai1:
You guys know the reason you jumped it

I already told u.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by VirginFinder: 11:39am On Aug 28, 2015
ekenedegreat:
Biafra means " come and join" now, tell us the meaning of Lagos.
Useless yo-robber maggot!

wytecat:
Ereko/Erekoshun = Eko is a Yoruba word given to Lagos Island by the Ijebus and other Yoruba. And since all Yorubas sound almost the same and written the same, this is a general name for Lagos in every Yoruba dialect.
Just as
Oko-Odu = Ikorodu.
Now tell me what this words mean in Benin/Bini.
War =
Camp =
This very question is directed at Kanu Nnamdi, the Ibos and the Binis who think Lagos is not Yoruba's.
I've answered Op's question, now it's time to answer one too, and we can go from there.
Waiting please!

THE MEANING OF EKO IN YORUBA

EKO IN YORUBA IS SHORT FOR EREKO WHICH MEANS FIELD, (EREKO ILE) MEANS ISLAND IN YORUBA.TO CONFIRM THIS YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND.THANKS

ONLY Jesus HEALS BITTERNESS

You are a dullard!
You'll never learn!!

Thankfully, it doesn't change anything. ibos will always be inferior to Yorubas in Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by VirginFinder: 11:42am On Aug 28, 2015
Obiagu1:
[s]Yorubas thought that the Igbo were joking when we say and keeping saying that Lagos is a Nomansland.

Lagos never belonged to the Yoruba.
Eko, Idumota, Oshodi etc are all Bini and Apapa is Igbo/Ijaw.

In a post Nigeria, Lagos will go were Edo goes. If Edo goes with Yoruba, then Lagos will become Yoruba but if Edo goes with Biafra, Lagos will become Biafran.[/s]

mtcheeeeewwww

Your post is mere waste of space. It doesnt change nada.

Edos themselves dont claim Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Armaggedon: 11:44am On Aug 28, 2015
kramer:

port harcourt was coined by british but its original name is igweocha.
If lagos is portuguese name, what is its yoruba name? Eko is bini word. If you claim there were yoruba pple there before bini conquered it, what name did they give lagos before it was named eko?

WHAT IS THE YORUBA NAME OF LAGOS?
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by chosen04(f): 1:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
ndcide:

I can't get any signal. Driving slowly from ojota heading towards Ajah. Yet no signal.
. Those living from Mile 2 down to Okokomiako are receiving it loud and clear. They are still doing the test transmission.

1 Like

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2015
Obiagu1:
In a post Nigeria, Lagos will go were Edo goes. If Edo goes with Yoruba, then Lagos will become Yoruba but if Edo goes with Biafra, Lagos will become Biafran.
...... And this actually came out from someone's mouth! A supposed being with brain?! This is unbelievable!
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Malawian(m): 4:34pm On Aug 28, 2015
GentleToks:
@Igbos, let me educate you fools and your mentor Nnamdi Kanu.

How does Oba Ado of Benin Kingdom named Lagos state as Eko? The Aworis who are originally from Ile-ife asked Oba Ado to govern over their territory which Oba Ado agreed with condition.......

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin Connquerors, which stems from either Oko (Yoruba: "cassava farm"wink or Eko ("war camp"wink.

Benin Kingdom benefitted from this throne for 4 decades until 1841 when Oba AKINTOYE ascended to the throne of his forefathers. He made attempt to ban slave trade which led to him being dethroned.

Until today, the Oba of Lagos is the head of all the Kings in Lagos State and his status is different from other Oba's most of whom were later given back their crowns and staff of office only within the last 40 years. Those who got their crowns back were the original land owners (Olofin's children). Modern-day Lagosians have so intermingled that no single tribe or people can claim it even though the predominant language is Yoruba.

The present day Lagos state has a higher percent of this sub-group who allegedly migrated to the area from Isheri along the Ogun river. History has it that the Awori were actually from Ife, the cradle of Yorubaland. The Awori people are a peaceful people initially not taken to warfare. Due to war, those from the hinterlands, like the Ekiti, ran towards Isheri, which at that time had more than one Olofin (Alafin)who were heads of settlements about 1400AD.

With the fleeing people from the hinterlands most of them scattered again, some to Iro, to Otta, Ado, others to Ebute Metta i.e. three landing places - Oyingbo, Iddo Island and Lagos Island (Eko). The Olofin that brought those who went to Ebute-Metta was Ogunfunminire later known as Agbodere. With the full commencement of the war about 2000 moved to the nearest island of Iddo, others to Otto Awori or Otto Ijanikin towards modern-day Badagry. Those from Ekiti Aramoko came to Ebute-Metta, Iddo and then Ijora.

After the demise of Agbodere, the name Olofin became the name used to remember him while a title of Oloto was given to his successor. With one of his sons becoming the Oloto his other children parted ways to what is known as visible settlements in present-day Lagos.

Until the coming of the Benins, Lagos's geographic boundary was Lagos Mainland. Lagos Island, the seat of the Oba of Lagos, then consisted of a pepper farm and fishing posts. No one lived there. The name Eko was given to it by its first king, Oba Ado, during its early history; it also saw periods of rule by the Kingdom of Benin.

As at that time, no tribe within Yoruba Nation could lay claim to Lagos cos most of them migrated to Eko as a result of wars.

Finally, Eko has developed over the years just like any other Kingdom I'm Yoruba Nation with their own subjects.
who wrote this epic movie script? i hope it is not kunle afolayan grin grin
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by abacusCm(m): 5:11pm On Aug 28, 2015
Ori eyin omo Igbo yi ti gbale ooo...bi omode ko ba batan a ba aroba,aroba ni baba itan.please don't ask me to translate this to English.Now to the question,Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement,then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472. From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim, finally abandonned in favor of Lagos.

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin conquerors, which stems from Eko ("war camp").

1 Like

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Oluwaseun748(m): 5:22pm On Aug 28, 2015
omoelesa:
To hell with nnamudu kanu,or what ever he called himself.let him come down to lagos to yan all those nonsense of his.

Answer the question and stop ranting
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Armaggedon: 5:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
abacusCm:
Ori eyin omo Igbo yi ti gbale ooo...bi omode ko ba batan a ba aroba,aroba ni baba itan.please don't ask me to translate this to English.Now to the question,Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement,then already inhabited by the Awori people, in 1472. From the first contacts with the region until the early 20th century, another Portuguese name for the city that was interchangeably used was Onim, finally abandonned in favor of Lagos.

Prior to Lagos being adopted, the settlement was called Eko by its Kingdom of Benin conquerors, which stems from Eko ("war camp"wink.
what is the yoruba name of lagos?
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by abacusCm(m): 5:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
Armaggedon:
what is the yoruba name of lagos?
you need to adjust your glasses.read again "Lagos means "lakes" in Portuguese, the language of first European-settlers known to visit the settlement".Lagos is Portuguese language because they are the first settlers that is why it was named Lagos.if the portugese find anything interesting in your region they would have settled there and named one of your states in their language.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by superstar1(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
Y1bos and their premature ejaculati.on over Lagos.

These are the same people that the best war their forefathers ever fought is over Adaobi in their hamlet square.

Following their stup1d story of Binis naming Eko. Who owns the crown of Binis? We do.

Therefore whatever they own, we are the owners.

Have you ever seen Benin people bragging over what is not or we bragging over what is not.

The problem of these confuscinists from the gully eroded land of dawning sun is that they lack history and culture.

1 Like

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 28, 2015
Ten pages gone still no yoruba name for lagos. Hmmmm. OdikwaOdikwa serious
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by cheruv: 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2015
okhiai1:
You know why I like this Biafra niggas they know where they can try shit and yorubas are weaklings they try this shit in edo let me don't say the rest cause they know what will happen
Your name looks Edo and it reminds me of my physiology lecturer in PC class.
We as Igbos respect the Bini monarchy..and when the time comes we'd conquer Lagos and present it to the emperor of Bini.his imperial powers were stripped in 1897,but we've plans of restoring it..that's why you don't hear Edo state being mentioned as part of biāfra.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by cheruv: 8:27pm On Aug 28, 2015
superstar1:
Y1bos and their premature ejaculati.on over Lagos.

These are the same people that the best war their forefathers ever fought is over Adaobi in their hamlet square.

Following their stup1d story of Binis naming Eko. Who owns the crown of Binis? We do.

Therefore whatever they own, we are the owners.

Have you ever seen Benin people bragging over what is not or we bragging over what is not.

The problem of these confuscinists from the gully eroded land of dawning sun is that they lack history and culture.
Stop being garrulous and answer the question joor undecided
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by wytecat: 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2015
What you need is a good pair of binoculars, your question was answered, but because you don't want to answer the other question, you had to ignore it.

Shame on you!

menabadoo:
Ten pages gone still no yoruba name for lagos. Hmmmm. OdikwaOdikwa serious
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by kramer: 9:15pm On Aug 28, 2015
Armaggedon:
port harcourt was coined by british but its original name is igweocha.
If lagos is portuguese name, what is its yoruba name? Eko is bini word. If you claim there were yoruba pple there before bini conquered it, what name did they give lagos before it was named eko?

WHAT IS THE YORUBA NAME OF LAGOS?

Oko

http://www.hubert-herald.nl/NigeriaL.htm
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
wytecat:
What you need is a good pair of binoculars, your question was answered, but because you don't want to answer the other question, you had to ignore it.

Shame on you!

it was answered indeed. They said its oko

And eko akete means farm island. Mumu liars

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

APC Accuses Saraki Of Committing ‘Treason’ / EFCC Arrests 30-Year-Old For Defrauding Emir Of ₦33 Million / Jonathan: We Didn’t Completely Plug The Loopholes In Fight Against Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.