Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,019 members, 7,953,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:42 AM

Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. (22158 Views)

Petrol Bombs Recovered From Nnamdi Kanu’s House In Umuahia By Soldiers - Police / Femi Falana: "Buhari Should Withdraw Soldiers From Nnamdi Kanu's Residence" / Blame Nnamdi Kanu If Violence Erupts In Nigeria: Northern Coalition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Christistruth00: 4:13pm On Aug 29, 2015
THE MEANING AND ORIGIN OF EKO IN YORUBA

EKO IN YORUBA IS SHORT FOR EREKO WHICH MEANS FIELD, (EREKO ILE) MEANS ISLAND IN YORUBA.TO CONFIRM THIS YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND.IN ANCIENT TIMES (BEFORE COLONISATION) EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND WAS A MAJOR MARKET TO WHICH YORUBAS USED TO GO FROM ALL OVER.IT WAS ALSO THE SEAT OF POWER OF PRINCE KOSOKO BEFORE HE ASCENDED THE THRONE TO BECOME OBA OF LAGOS IN 1845.THE POWERFUL PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO (EREKO WAS HIS CHIEFDOM AND BASE) WAS PRACTICALLY THE LORD AND RULER OF LAGOS ISLAND .HE WAS THE MAIN MIDDLEMAN BETWEEN THE YORUBAS AND THE EUROPEAN POWERS ESPECIALLY THE PORTUGESE .THE INTERIOR YORUBA INCLUDING THE IBADAN ARMY DEPENDED HEAVILY ON PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND HIS FELLOW EREKO (EKO)TRADERS(LIKE MADAM TINUBU OF TINUBU SQUARE ON LAGOS ISLAND FAME) FOR THE EUROPEAN ARMS, AMMUNITION AND GUN POWDER USED TO DEFEND YORUBALAND WHEN THE YORUBAS HAD THEIR BACKS TO THE WALL AND THE FULANI JIHAD WAS UPON THEM. IN RETURN THEY SOLD HIM THEIR SURPLUS WAR CAPTIVES (SLAVES) .AS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO'S WEALTH AND POWER GREW THE NAME EREKO (EKO) CAME TO MEAN ALL OF LAGOS AS HE WAS IN CONTROL OF TRADE ALONG THE WHOLE OF THE LAGOS COAST .

IN TODAYS TERMS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO WAS THE MAFIA DON OF LAGOS.

IF PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO EVEN AS MUCH AS SNEEZED,EVERYBODY IN THE SLAVE TRADE CARTEL FROM LAGOS ISLAND TO THE SOKOTO CALIPHATE IN NORTHERN NIGERIAN TILL MARADI IN THE NIGER REPUBLIC WAS GOING DOWN WITH THE FLU LIKE DOMINO'S. QUEEN VICTORIA OF ENGLAND,THE KING OF PORTUGAL THE SPANISH FLEET AND THE GOVERNMENT OF BRAZIL HEARD THE NEWS.

IT WAS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND THE KING OF DAHOMEY THAT SOLD THE ANCESTORS OF THOSE YORUBA SPÈAKING BRAŹILIANS.
MANY OF THE GLOVERS HAUSA"S USED BY CAPTAIN GLOVER TO FORM THE FIRST POLICE FORCE IN LAGOS (THE PREDECESSOR OF THE NIGERIAN POLICE AND AR MY) WOULD HAVE ENDED UP AS PART OF KOSOKO AND HIS GANG'S (SLAVE TRADERS) CARGO TO BE SHIPPED OFF TO BRAZIL IF THE BRITISH HAD NOT RUDELY INTERUPTED THEIR BUSINESS.

PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO OWNED LAGOS

IN 1841 WHEN OBA AKITOYE OF LAGOS IN HIS GOD GIVEN WISDOM DARED TO BAN THE SLAVE TRADE, PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND HIS GANG DEALT WITH THE KING OF LAGOS AND EVICTED HIM FROM THE THRONE.

AFTER HE INSTALLED HIMSELF AS THE OBA OF LAGOS IT WAS KOSOKOS UNRELENTING SLAVE TRADING ACTIVITIES THAT BROUGHT HIM INTO HEAD ON COLLISION WITH THE BRITISH WHO HAD ABOLISHED SLAVERY IN 1807 AND WERE THE MAIN SCOURGE OF THE POTUGESE SLAVE SHIPS THAT PLIED THE COASTS OF LAGOS AND DAHOMEY.EVENTUALLY THIS LEAD TO THE BOMBARDMENT OF LAGOS AND OBA KOSOKO"S DETHRONEMENT BY THE BRITISH IN 1851,AND OBA AKITOYE"S REINSTATEMENT AS KING OF LAGOS.
THANKS.

ONLY JESUS HEALS BITTERNESS
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
Christistruth00:
THE MEANING AND ORIGIN OF EKO IN YORUBA

EKO IN YORUBA IS SHORT FOR EREKO WHICH MEANS FIELD, (EREKO ILE) MEANS ISLAND IN YORUBA.TO CONFIRM THIS YOU WILL SEE THERE IS A PLACE CALLED EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND.IN ANCIENT TIMES (BEFORE COLONISATION) EREKO IN LAGOS ISLAND WAS A MAJOR MARKET TO WHICH YORUBAS USED TO GO FROM ALL OVER.IT WAS ALSO THE SEAT OF POWER OF PRINCE KOSOKO BEFORE HE ASCENDED THE THRONE TO BECOME OBA OF LAGOS IN 1845.PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO (EREKO WAS HIS CHIEFDOM AND BASE) WAS PRACTICALLY THE LORD AND RULER OF LAGOS ISLAND .HE WAS THE MAIN MIDDLEMAN BETWEEN THE YORUBAS AND THE EUROPEAN POWERS ESPECIALLY THE PORTUGESE .THE INTERIOR YORUBA INCLUDING THE IBADAN ARMY DEPENDED HEAVILY ON PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO AND HIS FELLOW EREKO (EKO)TRADERS(LIKE MADAM TINUBU OF TINUBU SQUARE ON LAGOS ISLAND FAME) FOR THE EUROPEAN ARMS, AMUNITION AND GUN POWDER USED TO DEFEND YORUBALAND WHEN THE YORUBAS HAD THEIR BACKS TO THE WALL AND THE FULANI JIHAD WAS UPON THEM. IN RETURN THEY SOLD HIM THEIR SURPLUS WAR CAPTIVES (SLAVES) .AS PRINCE KOSOKO OF EREKO'S WEALTH AND POWER GREW THE NAME EREKO (EKO) CAME TO MEAN ALL OF LAGOS AS HE WAS IN CONTROL OF TRADE ALONG THE WHOLE OF THE LAGOS COAST .AFTER HE BECAME THE OBA OF LAGOS IT WAS KOSOKOS SLAVE TRADING ACTIVITIES THAT BROUGHT HIM INTO HEAD ON COLLISION WITH THE BRITISH ,THIS LEAD TO THE BOMBARDMENT OF LAGOS AND OBA KOSOKOS DETHRONEMENT BY THE BRITISH IN 1851. THANKS

Did Bini people conquer Lagos + Yoruba land
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by Christistruth00: 6:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
The Awori of the yoruba tribe were the first to settle Lagos and Lagos Island in the fourteenth century. In the 17th century Benin Edo were practically the same people as the Ado Ekiti,(Ado in yoruba means Edo),the Akoko Yoruba in Ondo,(the Akoko Edo in Edo state are also considered yoruba by some)the Kabba Yoruba in Kogi,the Akure Yoruba and the Owo Yoruba in Ondo state.Prince Ado of Benin peacefully with Awori consent set up the Obaship of Lagos and became the first Oba of Lagos ,Please remember that Prince Oranmiyan of Ile Ife had also earlier set up the Obaship of Benin before becoming the first Alafin of Oyo.By the time Ologun Kutere ascended the throne of Lagos in 1750 the Obaship of Lagos reverted to what would today would be considered to be a full blooded Yoruba Lineage because even though his mother Erelu kuti was a Lagos Princess his father (The Chief Priest Alagba)was a full blooded Yoruba of Ijesha Origin.
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by proprince(m): 7:02am On Dec 24, 2015
grin
I luv my country
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by thuggCheetah(m): 2:25pm On Mar 16, 2017
Chai !
This op really embarrassed our Yoruba skulls on this thread grin
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by thuggCheetah(m): 2:57pm On Mar 16, 2017
[s]
Ioannes:
it is actually nice to know that Yorubas have a fan base. the igbos do all in their power to get noticed by the Yorubas. it seems thats all they can think of. its like when you are trying so hard to be noticed by someone and you put on your best attire, and you start prancing endlessly in front of that person to no avail. see as all of them rushed in glee to this thread, miming what their lord and master has cooked up in his sick brain. I Hope you know when sh*t hits the fan, he will be relaxing in London with his family.

They claim that Lagos belongs to them because lots of them are sleeping under the Lagos bridge, they claim an Igbo woman is the king of Akure, blah blah blah... Last I checked the Bini people were not the ones claiming Lagos. Ok fine, Eko is a Bini word. Now that you know, what are you gonna do about it? lay claim to the throne of the Oba of Lagos? or incite the Bini people to share in your hate inheritance?

So go ahead and tell us, what is the Igbo name for Lagos since it now belongs to you. aanu yin den se mi. when push comes to shove you will start crying genocide abi? yiyo ekun, kii se tojo. if the tiger treads lightly it's not because it is afraid of it's prey. I hope you guys won't have cause to swallow your words very soon. why can't you just live peacefully wherever you may have migrated to. soon because plenty of your clans men are serving jail time in the U.K. you will begin to lay claim to the crown of England. No problem. kontinuu!

meanwhile can somebody kindly tell us the meaning of Biafra in Igbo language?
[/s]
They asked us a very simple question
"What is d Yoruba name for Lagos?"
All they need is one word grin
Re: Answer this question from nnamdi kanu if you think lagos is not no man's land. by thuggCheetah(m): 3:07pm On Mar 16, 2017
Rexnegro:

He's not kidding you bro I just tuned in right now and its truly airing . But what has that got to do with me na ...if they want go they should beg and seek help from the international communities for their independence. As for me I wish they go sef cos they are the major problem ever since nigeria was created. If I hear say I go miss them...bunch of confuse human beings.
my Yoruba Muslim brother
U will not miss them,
They are d major problem of Nigeria
So when they declared themselves independent, why did our Awolowo and Adekunle fight so hard to keep these "confused human beings back in your country" cheesy

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

National Assembly Increases 2018 Budget To N9.1trn (dailytrust) / Akpabio: "I Regret Imposing Udom Emmanuel On Akwa Ibom As Governor" / Senate Presidency: Goje’s Withdrawal Divides PDP Caucus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.